Helpful ReplyGTX 980 FTW Crashing

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 11:32:04 (permalink)
Is evga making you pay for shipping each time you rma the card to them? If so, ask for a prepaid label each time.
Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 13:03:01 (permalink)
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
Jshiver90
I do have the GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0. I just can't imagine it being another part if down clocking the GPU fixes the problem 100%. Like I said, I'm not a techie, and that's why I came here. I've done everything people have suggested so far to test the other parts in the PC, and the only thing that's worked so far is down clocking the GPU. I even replaced a PSU that Corsair said was working within normal parameters; they were very helpful, and replaced it anyways.

I really don't know what else to try.

I've updated my support ticket several times, but still haven't gotten a reply. Guess my next step is to just buy a new GPU.

Nothing you can do except RMA the card. Looking at all the steps you did above and saying only underclocking the GPU makes everything run stable directly points to a bad GPU. It sucks you have to RMA another card but that's the way it is. If it was something like RAM you would get errors doing the testing or if it was a bad motherboard you would likely get BSODs no matter if underclock or not. If it was a bad PSU then most likely your entire PC is going to shutdown like someone pulled the plug or you would get certain errors. You mentioned you checked your PSU and even RMA for a new one. It's a bad GPU. You have an unstable overclock is why it's stable when you underclock. It could be it was stable leaving EVGA's facility but quickly went bad. Sounds like you just got unlucky unfortunately. I would demand EVGA pay for your shipping on both sending and return.

I had the ACX 2.0 980 SC. My drivers would crash and Windows would recover. It was TDR errors I was getting. I'm 100% sure it was the GPU because when I took it out and put another one in I didn't get the crashes. I'd take the faulty card and underclock then never experienced another crash for months until Witcher 3 came out. When I went back to factory OC settings on the other games they would again crash. Underclock, problem solved in every game except Witcher 3 which might have driver problems right now.

I'm still willing to try whatever suggestions people have to further test the issue. EVGA said my last card worked fine during "testing", despite having the same exact issue; I do find it hard to believe I got two bad cards in a row. I've tested both cards with FurMark3D and don't have any issues, which is weird. It's only while actually playing games that I have the issues, and the only fix I've found is downclocking the GPU.

It's hard to make recommendations when people don't know your entire setup. Some people on here said if you have a setting for core enhancement for the 4790k to disable it and see if it stops your crashes. I saw someone say if you force the BIOS to 3.0 instead of auto for the PCI-E slot it can help too.

I'm just curious on what type of crashes you get. Do you get BSODs or is it something like it just crashes your driver, Windows goes black and it recovers? What you mentioned above is the exact same thing that happened to me. In fact, when I first got the GPU in November I played like 100 hours of Dragon Age Inquisition without a single crash. It was only a few months later when I started playing SWTOR did I notice my first crash ever. Underclocked, problem went away. Technically when you OC something it kills it faster but it shouldn't be that fast. Also, what I mentioned above is more for if you have that 4790k overclocked but you can try it anyway.

I'm with you...it's hard to believe you got a second bad GPU but it's certainly possible. I suppose another thing you could try is putting the GPU in another PCI-E slot if you have one, taking RAM out and checking a single stick at a time to see if your system runs stable. I highly doubt those are issues though as you mentioned above you tested RAM.

It's a black screen crash, monitor goes cold and says no connection, but the PC seems to hang onto power and never fully shuts down. I have to manually power it down. I get no error, and have to check BlueScreenViewer to see what error it was.

Not using core enhancement setting, and have already tried forcing 3.0. Also not overclocking the CPU or RAM, it's all stock settings.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 15:30:47 (permalink)
Jshiver90

It's a black screen crash, monitor goes cold and says no connection, but the PC seems to hang onto power and never fully shuts down. I have to manually power it down. I get no error, and have to check BlueScreenViewer to see what error it was.

Not using core enhancement setting, and have already tried forcing 3.0. Also not overclocking the CPU or RAM, it's all stock settings.

Yes, exactly the same.
- black screen.
- monitor shows no signal.
- PC still got power (BSOD but since there is no signal to the monitor you cannot see it.) (hitting restart button will reboot the PC but monitor will keep saying no signal because the card must be disconnected from power to recover from this.)
- have to hold the power button to fully shutdown the PC or disconnect the power cable from the PSU to get the signal back.
- after windows boots BlueScreenViewer shows that there was a BSOD 116 caused by "dxgkrnl.sys", "dxgmms1.sys" and "nvlddmkm.sys".

djmorgan
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 15:39:12 (permalink)
Jshiver90

I'm still willing to try whatever suggestions people have to further test the issue. EVGA said my last card worked fine during "testing", despite having the same exact issue; I do find it hard to believe I got two bad cards in a row. I've tested both cards with FurMark3D and don't have any issues, which is weird. It's only while actually playing games that I have the issues, and the only fix I've found is downclocking the GPU.

So do you believe EVGA are lying to you? if they say it works fine when they test it doesn't that make you think something else can be wrong! EVGA have never shown themselves to be stingy in standing up and replacing a card or excepting a fault.

There are many things in the chain of making a PC work correctly, not only the hardware, power, Pci, ram, mobo, bios etc but software running in the background, and especially drivers for the video card, by example most people reject the latest 2 drivers from nvidia as rubbish.

I do empathize with you, if you had a friend with a PC maybe you could try your card in theirs, maybe a retailer or a repair shop, either way I just can't believe EVGA or anybody else for that matter is going to tell you it works fine if it isn't

David

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 @3.68GHZ CPU
1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 1600MHz
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
2 x Seagate ST31000524AS 1Tb @ 7200rpm
Dual 24" 144Hz 2Ms 1920 x 1080 monitors
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
deuce985
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 15:45:53 (permalink)
OP I would recommend using drivers 350.12 too because that seems to be the last stable driver from NVIDIA for a lot of users. TDR errors only started popping up for some in the last 2 NVIDIA drivers so it's possible it's a NVIDIA issue and not EVGA.
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:05:32 (permalink)
djmorgan
Jshiver90

So do you believe EVGA are lying to you? if they say it works fine when they test it doesn't that make you think something else can be wrong! EVGA have never shown themselves to be stingy in standing up and replacing a card or excepting a fault.

There are many things in the chain of making a PC work correctly, not only the hardware, power, Pci, ram, mobo, bios etc but software running in the background, and especially drivers for the video card, by example most people reject the latest 2 drivers from nvidia as rubbish.

I do empathize with you, if you had a friend with a PC maybe you could try your card in theirs, maybe a retailer or a repair shop, either way I just can't believe EVGA or anybody else for that matter is going to tell you it works fine if it isn't

David

I never said they were lying. Why else would I be here asking WHAT ELSE should I do? I've done everything suggested by various posters and by EVGA; I've even RMA'd non-defective parts.

It's been over a day since they replied to my support ticket, and the only advice I've gotten from many posters is just to get rid of it for something else.

Not only that, but why would down clocking the GPU fix my issues if the GPU is working fine?
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:10:43 (permalink)
deuce985
OP I would recommend using drivers 350.12 too because that seems to be the last stable driver from NVIDIA for a lot of users. TDR errors only started popping up for some in the last 2 NVIDIA drivers so it's possible it's a NVIDIA issue and not EVGA.

Wrong issue man, read the thread. Driver update didn't help either (for me). Don't know if OP has tried but i am positive it doesn't change anything because its not a driver issue.

Jshiver90

post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/03 16:18:15
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:25:31 (permalink)
wickedwayne
deuce985

Wrong issue man, read the thread. Driver update didn't help either (for me). Don't know if OP has tried but i am positive it doesn't change anything because its not a driver issue.

Jshiver90

I have tried multiple drivers with clean installs on each one.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:37:49 (permalink)
Jshiver90

Not only that, but why would down clocking the GPU fix my issues if the GPU is working fine?

Exactly!
And since people here are on their second, third and some even forth RMA of the FTW model I think we can conclude that there is a problem with the FTW cards and not some other component in our PC's. 
SC & Reference GTX980 cards will work just fine in the same system without any black screen BSOD's

EVGA tech probably didn't put the card under enough load for it to fail. Some tool like EVGA OC scanner, Furmark and even Haven or Valley Benchmark could run for many hours without failing.

But as soon as you try something that really puts the GPU under heavy load like the 3Dmark Skydiver Demo, GTA V, Crysis 3, Witcher 3 the card will black screen very quickly.
djmorgan
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:38:53 (permalink)
Jshiver90

I never said they were lying. Why else would I be here asking WHAT ELSE should I do? I've done everything suggested by various posters and by EVGA; I've even RMA'd non-defective parts.

Start using your logic, make an assumption it is not the card, find a local repair shop and give them your box for testing, find a friend and test the card in his box, if you have a relationship with a retailer, most have a repair center out the back and may put it into one of their shelf units.

If all the above report a fault then you have something extra to tell EVGA, getting 2 bad cards in a row, well only 1 as the other was said to be ok, you should buy a lottery ticket.

It is very hard for any of us to help you beyond this in a forum, for all we know you may run your box under water in the bath tub, you may have fried something on the mobo from static when you changed the card, who knows! maybe your room has high humidity..... as I said there are many elements that need to work together to make a PC work well

David

1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
djmorgan
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:40:34 (permalink)
Samsander
Exactly!
And since people here are on their second, third and some even forth RMA of the FTW model I think we can conclude that there is a problem with the FTW cards and not some other component in our PC's. 
SC & Reference GTX980 cards will work just fine in the same system without any black screen BSOD's

EVGA tech probably didn't put the card under enough load for it to fail. Some tool like EVGA OC scanner, Furmark and even Haven or Valley Benchmark could run for many hours without failing.

But as soon as you try something that really puts the GPU under heavy load like the 3Dmark Skydiver Demo, GTA V, Crysis 3, Witcher 3 the card will black screen very quickly.

You should start that post with
IN MY OPINION!

David

1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 16:56:20 (permalink)
djmorgan
Samsander
Exactly!

You should start that post with
IN MY OPINION!

David

Well, he makes more sense than You IMO.

Suggesting that OP should spend even more money to get his PC checked out is like the worst possible solution to this problem considering that he and we already know that the card is at fault here. He also built the system by himself from scratch and usually people who don't know much about PC hardware and don't know how to handle them, don't do that, at all.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:08:46 (permalink)
I've been building PCs since I was a child, it's nothing new to me. Troubleshooting them and trying to figure out what's not working is new to me, as it's only happened on one other occasion, when, surprisingly, it was my EVGA GTX 660 OC that was malfunctioning.

Speaking of which, I've replaced my GTX 980 FTW with a GTX 660. This should tell me if it's my card that's malfunctioning, shouldn't it?
I don't have access to another computer to test the 980, but if I don't crash with a 660 in the same system, doesn't that point to it being the 980?
djmorgan
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:13:06 (permalink)

1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:16:10 (permalink)
Jshiver90
I've been building PCs since I was a child, it's nothing new to me. Troubleshooting them and trying to figure out what's not working is new to me, as it's only happened on one other occasion, when, surprisingly, it was my EVGA GTX 660 OC that was malfunctioning.

Speaking of which, I've replaced my GTX 980 FTW with a GTX 660. This should tell me if it's my card that's malfunctioning, shouldn't it?
I don't have access to another computer to test the 980, but if I don't crash with a 660 in the same system, doesn't that point to it being the 980?

As underclocking did resolve the crashes like You mentioned (same as me), i think we are past figuring out what the issue is.

But go ahead.
I did so as well with my 680 lightning, even overclocked it by a decent amount (which should draw more power than a 980) and still have not had the same problem. Can't really say how much the power draw of Your 660 is though.
post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/03 17:24:54
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:21:47 (permalink)
djmorgan
Samsander
Do I need to post this again?

http://forums.evga.com/Monitor-Signal-Lost-Black-Screen-issue-with-980FTW-ACX-20-m2337715.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Faulty-GTX-980-or-bad-set-upp-m2343310.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Br...locks-up-m2335984.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Having-black-screen-computer-crashes-due-to-error-code-116-on-Witcher-3-Need-help-m2339867.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-crashing-on-Archage-m2339548.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-FTW-Edition-PC-crash-black-screens-poppingbuzzing-sound-m2330598.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/EV...hardware-m2331392.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-FTW-Display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-and-has-successfully-recovered-m2302108.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/My-never-ending-displayport-issue-with-my-980-FTW-m2301152.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-FTW-crashing-m2344574.aspx

I added a couple since last time.
I think we are beyond "in my opinion" right now.

Do your self a favour correlate of those threads above the CPU being used and the Motherboard/memory you may get a surprise, anyway I'm unsubscribing from this thread as it is a waste of MY time

David 

Only half of those mention CPU and Motherboard/memory at all and one specifically states he used a different CPU before and after. Also if any of those components would be at fault why would downclocking the GPU suddenly solve the issue. 

Someone's time was wasted here for sure but it wasn't Yours.
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:25:16 (permalink)
Well, I'm about 30 minutes in on testing the same PC with a GTX 660 OC, and have no problems at all so far. Going to try testing it further tonight, but by now I would've crashed with the GTX 980 FTW.
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:33:10 (permalink)
Jshiver90
Well, I'm about 30 minutes in on testing the same PC with a GTX 660 OC, and have no problems at all so far. Going to try testing it further tonight, but by now I would've crashed with the GTX 980 FTW.

Push it to the limit with downsampling, 3dMark Sky Diver and whatnot. Heaven for example isn't that hard on the GPU from my experience. 
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:36:24 (permalink)
wickedwayne
Jshiver90

Push it to the limit with downsampling, 3dMark Sky Diver and whatnot. Heaven for example isn't that hard on the GPU from my experience. 

I'll do what I can! Will post results here when I've got 'em.
deuce985
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 17:55:20 (permalink)
That's what I'm saying. All my knowledge of PCs says that if you underclock GPU and all your crashes disappear it points to something wrong with your GPU like an unstable OC. As I said way above, I think it's your GPU. I don't know of any instances where you can downclock your GPU to prevent crashes and it has anything to do with CPU/RAM. I could be wrong but if they were a problem they'd crop up even underclocking...at least I think so. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/06/03 18:02:11
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 18:02:30 (permalink)
Let's welcome one more friend add one more to the list.
http://forums.evga.com/RMAd-GTX-980-FTW-Still-Crashing-m2344866.aspx

They just keep piling up.
Yea, there is nothing wrong with the FTW version. /s
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 18:11:08 (permalink)
Samsander
Let's welcome one more friend add one more to the list.
http://forums.evga.com/RMAd-GTX-980-FTW-Still-Crashing-m2344866.aspx

They just keep piling up.
Yea, there is nothing wrong with the FTW version. /s

You know, after reading that, i am really curious how EVGA tests those cards.
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 19:50:30 (permalink)
Few hours now. No crashing. Raided in XIV, played Witcher 3, ran 3D MarkSky ...

No problems with the GTX 660 OC.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 19:59:24 (permalink)
Jshiver90

I have seen a lot of issues with the ASUS MAXIMUS HERO VII Motherboard and Maxwell Graphics Cards here on the Form, and not only EVGA Cards.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 20:20:47 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Jshiver90

I have seen a lot of issues with the ASUS MAXIMUS HERO VII Motherboard and Maxwell Graphics Cards here on the Form, and not only EVGA Cards.

Would downclocking solve that issue, though?
deuce985
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 20:29:53 (permalink)
I have an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2 mobo with his exact problem only I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC and not FTW. I did tests on my end and same as him, underclocking was the only thing to fix my problems. Waiting on my RMA to get here so we can see if it fixes my problem. I even put my settings back to default for my overclocked 4790k. Put another GPU in...boom, fixed problem. It was either using another GPU or underclocking was the only way I could fix my TDR errors.

i7 4790k 4.0(right now for stability purposes)
GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2
MX100 SSD 512 GB x2

Nothing is overclocked right now so I could rule that out. I even switched to a single monitor ASUS VG248QE using Display Port just for testing.

post edited by deuce985 - 2015/06/03 20:37:38
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 20:34:17 (permalink)
deuce985
I have an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2 mobo with his exact problem only I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC and not FTW. I did tests on my end and same as him, underclocking was the only thing to fix my problems. Waiting on my RMA to get here so we can see if it fixes my problem.

I'm not saying bcavnaugh is wrong, but if it's true, would down clocking solve the "compatibility" problem? I don't remember seeing that Maxwell GPUs and the Hero VII weren't compatible.
deuce985
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 20:38:53 (permalink)
Jshiver90
deuce985
I have an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2 mobo with his exact problem only I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC and not FTW. I did tests on my end and same as him, underclocking was the only thing to fix my problems. Waiting on my RMA to get here so we can see if it fixes my problem.

I'm not saying bcavnaugh is wrong, but if it's true, would down clocking solve the "compatibility" problem? I don't remember seeing that Maxwell GPUs and the Hero VII weren't compatible.

I highly doubt it but you never know with mobo problems. If it was a mobo problem like that though a BIOS update would surely fix it and it would be hurting EVERYONE on a similar build with that BIOS. No way would ASUS let it extend itself out especially since it's a gaming enthusiast board. However, they could have a correlation on settings the boards use that's unique to ASUS. What that is I don't know. It could be something as simple as disabling something that's conflicting but I don't know what that could be.
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 20:39:56 (permalink)
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985

I highly doubt it but you never know with mobo problems. If it was a mobo problem like that though a BIOS update would surely fix it and it would be hurting EVERYONE on a similar build with that BIOS. No way would ASUS let it extend itself out especially since it's a gaming enthusiast board.

Updating BIOS was the first thing I did.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile