EVGA

Helpful ReplyGTX 980 FTW Crashing

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
sectek
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/12 06:43:14 (permalink)
Including the "voltage lock" in your query is overly restrictive.  Have to consider what terms the average user experiencing this issue will use in researching their problem.  I was promised the EVGA tech I spoke with would forward this to management.  I will hold my breath.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/12 06:54:05 (permalink)
sectek
Including the "voltage lock" in your query is overly restrictive.  Have to consider what terms the average user experiencing this issue will use in researching their problem.  I was promised the EVGA tech I spoke with would forward this to management.  I will hold my breath.

you mean, you won't hold your breath . the voltage lock is restricted by Nvidia, not EVGA (So, I don't see what good it would do to go to his supervisor. There won't be anything they can do either...). EVGA is licensed through Nvidia and has to follow Nvidia protocol, and they cannot break the "rules of engagement" while following under Nvidia license, or they breach contract, maybe have to pay a fine, i don't know. My theory is this exactly, that the FTW card itself is requiring more power than what it is able to, so the card crashes, resets itself, crashing to desktop and/or having to hard reset, because the GPU has physically hung itself.

I'm no tech, surely you guys thought of something similar. WIth a hard reset, obviously that does the trick by resetting the card back to idle clocks.

Back to what your tech said... the tech you spoke to probably already closed this case and moved onto the next issue (I don't blame him either - as the constant RMA's are redundant and similar to beating a dead horse.)

No offense to EVGA, I get the fact there is nothing that can be done about the FTW, but at least authorize users to receive SC or reference models. You (EVGA) know there is a problem with the FTW, so why not make the users happy? This would fix everyone's problem, and everyone would be happy.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/12 07:10:31

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
sectek
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/12 07:42:40 (permalink)
Exactly.  It doesn't matter if it's an Nvidia or EVGA issue, both are making money off us.  Both should be willing to stand behind a bad run of a card, rather than immediately point the finger at the user and putting their fingers in their ears.  I've called EVGA twice and in the first 30 seconds both techs stated there wasn't a wide spread issue with the card or they wouldn't have so many 5 star reviews on newegg. 

It's ridiculous.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/12 07:49:25 (permalink)
sectek
Exactly.  It doesn't matter if it's an Nvidia or EVGA issue, both are making money off us.  Both should be willing to stand behind a bad run of a card, rather than immediately point the finger at the user and putting their fingers in their ears.  I've called EVGA twice and in the first 30 seconds both techs stated there wasn't a wide spread issue with the card or they wouldn't have so many 5 star reviews on newegg. 

It's ridiculous.

Just say this -> "well... looks like I'll just have to call my credit card company then and have them resolve it..." But say it nice and monotone like.

Stephenk291 can help you with that if you're willing to go that far. Surely he has some nice tips for you .
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/12 07:53:21

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2032
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/19 13:03:25 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that we have received an update from our engineering team and they have offered a new BETA BIOS to help with stability in some games or system setups with the GTX 980 FTW.  Please understand that this BIOS is considered BETA and is available by either emailing EVGA CS at Support@evga.com or by calling our support at 1-888-881-3842 option 1 and then we will email the file and the instructions to you.

Thank you everyone for your patience.
post edited by EVGATech_ChrisB - 2015/06/19 13:11:50

Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/26 22:18:47 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that we have received an update from our engineering team and they have offered a new BETA BIOS to help with stability in some games or system setups with the GTX 980 FTW.  Please understand that this BIOS is considered BETA and is available by either emailing EVGA CS at Support@evga.com or by calling our support at 1-888-881-3842 option 1 and then we will email the file and the instructions to you.

Is this BIOS different than the previous beta BIOS (released specifically for this issue, in this thread) that simply included a change in the factory clock settings; a down-clock by default?

If it is, I'm willing to try it. However, I don't consider updating BIOS to include a down-clock anything that will change my situation or a viable solution; I can already down-clock the GPU myself.

Thanks.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102278
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/27 02:02:45 (permalink)
Jshiver90
EVGATech_ChrisB
Hi Everyone,

Is this BIOS different than the previous beta BIOS (released specifically for this issue, in this thread) that simply included a change in the factory clock settings; a down-clock by default?

If it is, I'm willing to try it. However, I don't consider updating BIOS to include a down-clock anything that will change my situation or a viable solution; I can already down-clock the GPU myself.

Thanks.

Please try the new BIOs in conjunction with the new hotfix driver which is stickied at the top of this forum

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/27 05:31:58 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Jshiver90
EVGATech_ChrisB
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

Please try the new BIOs in conjunction with the new hotfix driver which is stickied at the top of this forum

That beta BIOS does not fix anything. EVGA already said not to use it and wait for a new one that they are working on.

The new driver will also not help.
It will crash your system faster then the 347.88 driver.

The only solution for now is to downclock.
-101Mhz with 347.88 driver
Or
-150Mhz with 353.38 driver
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102278
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/27 06:31:17 (permalink)
Samsander
rjohnson11
Jshiver90
EVGATech_ChrisB
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

That beta BIOS does not fix anything. EVGA already said not to use it and wait for a new one that they are working on.

Or

Then my suggestion would be to contact EVGA tech support and say that you are unhappy with the current solution and with the beta card BIOs being offered.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/27 06:39:58 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Samsander
rjohnson11
Jshiver90
EVGATech_ChrisB
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

Or

Then my suggestion would be to contact EVGA tech support and say that you are unhappy with the current solution and with the beta card BIOs being offered.

They know.
asthma911
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2017/12/05 09:30:23 (permalink)
I'm having the same issues. I'm leaving my EVGA 980 FTW in its box. Quite bitter at this point.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile