EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA Folding @ Home Year 12

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15
Author
Azuroth
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/26 11:00:41 (permalink)
Chris21010
honestly i am most curious about the next GTX lineup and how they will fold more than this RTX 20XX series of GPUs. so far the 1660ti is a 1070 in terms of performance and if they continue this linup, like i suspect, then the next GTX 70 or 80 or 80ti will be much more cost effective and more inline with normal expectations.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a 1670 and up.  They are expanding the 16xx line the other way, 1660 in March, 1650 in April.  I doubt they will cannibalize the RTX line with higher end GTX cards.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/27 14:20:16 (permalink)
Please don't forget to submit any points for Year 11

before March 15th, 2019
as we will cut off submission on the following day

https://www.evga.com/folding/MyFolding.asp

You Must - Request Your EVGA Bucks

I got my EVGA Bucks locked already --> Total Year 11 Points: 3,120,674,508 and counting

post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/02/27 14:36:07

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2815
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 09:05:22 (permalink)
Kickin' off Year 12 today!

Thank you EVGA for continuing to support our Folding @ Home Team! 

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
thisiscc
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 10:01:59 (permalink)
Folding for EVGA is a loyalty program first and foremost. Since there is no one stopping folders from breaking with EVGA and just folding alone or with a different team, I think EVGA Bucks plays a huge role, and it does for me. The 21M Tier 2 is impossible for my 980 Ti to achieve. And even if I were to buy a 2080 Ti it would take me more days per month to hit Tier 2 in Year 12 than with my 980 Ti in Year 11 and I am unwilling to live with the noise, heat, electricity costs, lost gaming/work time and increased greenhouse gases for what is frankly a research program with few huge breakthroughs.

It is a purely a economical decision. I expect EVGA's thinking to be the same. If EVGA is making a loss on the loyalty program they should end it. EVGA Bucks is a big part of me buying EVGA hardware and since folding is the only way I get them I will probably be stopping, I will eventually have to consider taking my actual money elsewhere, probably to the lowest bidder.
post edited by thisiscc - 2019/03/01 14:13:45
AmdTel
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 10:16:34 (permalink)
I used to fold a few years ago now, and I saw the bucks as a kind of bonus for participating in the program, and also liked the fact that I am helping research. I used to use an I7 3770S with a geforce 660gtx, which at the time I was folding was only just gone enough to meet the threshold but I was leaving it on all the time 24/7 to do my bit and hopefully get somewhere near the required thresholds. Been looking at getting back into folding recently (as using some electric heaters.... Why not set up a PC folding instead).
I set up a couple of test rigs, one with an r7 260X, and another with just an APU driven video chip (a4 5000). The apu was very low ppd but only drew 33watts full load with CPU too. The other system drew over 200watts (phenom II 840) ppd was just about enough for the first tier on year 11 and probably just bit off the 2nd. Not yet cased up, but probably won't set it up now as I'll never reach the first tier without spending some silly money on a new card.
I have setup one of my other computers to be folding when it's on (I3 4130t) as I want to participate but can't afford to upgrade to faster video cards.
I do have a brand new rx 560 still in its box which was bought to upgrade my card a year ago for gaming, I just never got round to fitting it, but I don't think that will touch the levels needed either.
I'm not looking to get all the bucks, but it would be nice to be able to reach at least the first tier without spending out for top end video cards.
I also have two 4850 cards that I'm not sure what to do with.......
Holdolin
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 226
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 10:30:38 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
After discussions today, here are the final numbers for the entire Year 12:

Tier 1: 7 million (5 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2: 21 million (5 EVGA Bucks)

I like those numbers.  A couple day's folding then my GPU's are free for other things.  I swear I'm like the only turd around who's "work" machines are more powerful than their game machines lol.
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 15:36:30 (permalink)
Holdolin
EVGATech_LeeM
After discussions today, here are the final numbers for the entire Year 12:

Tier 1: 7 million (5 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2: 21 million (5 EVGA Bucks)

I like those numbers.  A couple day's folding then my GPU's are free for other things.  I swear I'm like the only turd around who's "work" machines are more powerful than their game machines lol.

Yeah, for some of us the new numbers are quick and easy. I get EVGAs dilemma, but not everyone can or will buy 4 or gpu's to fold on. The casual is just being shut out of the program.

Fold on everyone.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 17:58:56 (permalink)
I am pretty sure the goal of the program was to reward those that already folded without any reward.

The issue was the goal numbers became so easy, others joined just to hit the minimum and get rewarded without continuing to help others. I don’t think the program was started strictly to attract new folders, but then again, I wasn’t around at that time either.

It is very unfortunate that the folks that only did it for the bucks may decrease, but again, the program seemingly started to reward those that were already folding to hopefully find cures, not to find rewards.

I absolutely 100% admit I started folding strictly for the bucks, and there have been months where I couldn’t do more than the minimum due to work and traveling. If work and travel aren’t interfering, then I do my best to fold as much as possible, especially finding out that a close friend recently lost her battle, and only days later we found out that someone else very close is starting a battle against cancer.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/03/01 18:01:03
Holdolin
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 18:10:15 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
I am pretty sure the goal of the program was to reward those that already folded without any reward.

The issue was the goal numbers became so easy, others joined just to hit the minimum and get rewarded without continuing to help others. I don’t think the program was started strictly to attract new folders, but then again, I wasn’t around at that time either.

It is very unfortunate that the folks that only did it for the bucks may decrease, but again, the program seemingly started to reward those that were already folding to hopefully find cures, not to find rewards.

I absolutely 100% admit I started folding strictly for the bucks, and there have been months where I couldn’t do more than the minimum due to work and traveling. If work and travel aren’t interfering, then I do my best to fold as much as possible, especially finding out that a close friend recently lost her battle, and only days later we found out that someone else very close is starting a battle against cancer.

Well said.  As I said before, I will fold either way.  It's nice to get a "thank you" from EVGA for doing this thing I have been doing for a lil over 10 years now.  Nope, it don't buy my GPU's, but it does subsidize them.  Now if i could just get them to give me some swag 
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/01 18:33:25 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Tiger770
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 626
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 09:38:51 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
The issue was the goal numbers became so easy, others joined just to hit the minimum and get rewarded without continuing to help others. 

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this, but if you meant to imply that people who complete their goals early can then fold for others under their names to help them, that's against the terms and conditions of the program:

• You must use Folding@Home as an individual; combining as a group will lead to disqualification unless approval by EVGA is first requested and granted before combining.
Occasionally EVGA has been gracious enough to allow for passes during competitions (like the chimp challenge) where if your PPD missed the mark by a few days and they determined through their investigation that - had you not contributed to CC you'd have typically made it, they award you the point level.

Of course, that may not be what you meant.  I simply wanted to point it out in case someone skimming through here got that impression.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 11:43:50 (permalink)
We still Fold for throes who have passed away and it should not apply to the above post.
Added
We Fold Under Folders who have passed away and it should not apply to the above post.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/02 13:24:50

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 11:48:25 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
We still Fold for those who have passed away and it should not apply to the above post.

+1 FIFY 
Holdolin
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 13:17:37 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
We still Fold for throes who have passed away and it should not apply to the above post.

Preach it.  As well as for those that might be saved or at least lessen the suffering.  I know we all have our own reasons for doing this thing we do, but as I have said before, each and every point is appreciated  
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 13:23:09 (permalink)
Yes to all Past And Future.
I should have said We also Fold Under Folders who have passed away and it should not apply to the above post #161 Rule.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/02 13:30:03

Holdolin
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 13:40:30 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Yes to all Past And Future.
I should have said We also Fold Under Folders who have passed away and it should not apply to the above post #161 Rule.

LOL so i stink at reading, but I think we're in agreement here hehe
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 14:09:51 (permalink)
I sent over a PM to Tiger770 just so that I don't post a two page response on the forum..

Short public response: Hopefully other users realize that my post should never be taken that far out of context. I doubt EVGA would allow me to help out as a moderator if I was telling people to cheat the EVGA Bucks system. 
Henjam
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 14:45:57 (permalink)

the_Scarlet_one

The thing is, I don't think anyone folds strictly for bucks, because it'd be kinda dumb.

The bucks program is a bit like setting up a money booth on the side of the road in some out-of-the-way place, where drivers get $10 for making the trip, but gas and mileage would cost about $20. The guy in the money booth loses $10 (unless he's getting something more out of it) and the guy driving loses $10 (unless he's getting something more out of it). Yeah, sometimes the drivers might look out the window and see all the happy people dancing on the side of the road enjoying the flowers and kittens and rainbows coming out of his tailpipe and get a little happier too. But, those drivers are also effectively paying $10 to sit in their car for hours every day, to lose french fries between their car seats, smell their own fast food burps, and pee in energy drink cans. When they finally arrive at the money booth, some will need a breather, some will use their car for something else (or get it detailed) and others with hearts made of pure 24 karat gold will be totally happy to keep driving so they can look out the window at all the bunny rabbits and sunshine they're spreading, because to them, that's the whole point and it's worth it.

It's totally natural in life to get to "where you're supposed to go" and then stop. Of course, some people will push it to the limit because for them, that's where they're supposed to go (cure & competitive folders). Others let pragmatism determine where they're supposed to go (bucks folders/casuals), and some lack knowledge or interest, so they let others determine where they're supposed to go (new/non/prospective-folders). eVGA points tiers tell certain types of folders "where they're supposed to go". They can be used to influence the behavior of these last two groups to be closer to the cure folders and more in line with the "greater good".

The idea is to make goals such that the max points are produced, while min-maxing the costs and benefits for eVGA. But, in order to do that, eVGA needs to take into account the various motivations and costs and abilities of the folders and set goals with those in mind. If they're too arbitrary about the goals and make a mistake, the program can run over-budget or it can dry up participation, in either case hurting total points produced in the end.

For instance, last year, a mistake was made and the points tiers were set way too low. While folders benefited, the program cost more for eVGA and probably produced less total points towards cures than it could have if the goals were higher. This year, I think that mistake is being over-corrected. I'm sure eVGA will lower its total folding program costs this year because of difficulty making the numbers, but that savings necessarily comes at the cost of the folders. The big question is whether, again, a mistake in the points goals will be accompanied by a loss of total points produced towards the cures, this time because the net costs to the folders are too high.

Although the 3 different parties to this whole transaction have way different motivations, a Nash equilibrium definitely exists where everyone's costs and benefits are well-balanced and which will produce a maximum amount of points with a minimum amount of costs for both eVGA and folders.

7M/21M is definitely not that equilibrium and I think the total Team eVGA output for March 2019 will be tellingly low.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 14:50:18 (permalink)
"The thing is, I don't think anyone folds strictly for bucks, because it'd be kinda dumb."
You would be surprised at how many do, but at least they do Fold.
The Fold Stops at 4  Link  Link  Link  Link  Link  Link  Link  Link  Again not that it Matters.
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&a=1&t=111065 

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/02 18:21:52

Attached Image(s)

Henjam
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 19:32:47 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
"The thing is, I don't think anyone folds strictly for bucks, because it'd be kinda dumb."
You would be surprised at how many do, but at least they do Fold.
               Again not that it Matters.

Yeah, I'm basically one of those guys too, but I wasn't thinking "Nice! Did the bare minimum and now I'm $10 richer!"

It was more like, "OK, it cost me $10 in electricity and I beat up my card some, but I hit my quota, and recouped some of that cost in store credit, so it's not that bad. Now I can use my card for all the other goals I have with it or just give it a break before I blow my VRM." Hell, those fears turned out to be founded when my 980ti started artifacting right after the warranty period.

When this program started, it was a way to encourage casuals to commit idle compute resources. Now it's turning more into the hard sell of the latest gen hardware. The thing is, selling casuals on using unused cycles for a good cause is WAYYYY easier than selling them a new GPU every year or selling them on the idea of noticeably raising their power bills. The fact that I'm even considering folding costs when I never really have before, shows how the program has changed.

My level of commitment was such that I was going to build a rig for the 980ti and let it fold 24/7/365 for as long as it would have a chance to hit tier 2. That would have cost me $30 a month just for the electricity to run the GPU at 100% (not including the cost of buying and running the other hardware, or wear and tear). Doesn't make much financial sense, I know, and some months I know I wouldn't hit tier 2, but I would have at least tried and gotten close. It just would have been satisfying to do, like scratching an itch. This points scheme though, is just giving me a bigger itch than I'm able to scratch. So now I can either scratch half of the itch or find another itch to scratch.

I guess these days you have to be kinda hardcore about folding for it to be worth all the costs. I salute anyone who has that level of commitment but my feeling is that there aren't too many like that, and a different kind of recognition would probably be better suited for them anyway.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 19:46:12 (permalink)
Why We Fold -- Daily Journal    Why We Fold -- Sign Up Thread  Survey on why we fold   Why i fold...  Why I fold. 
And Many More
"worth all the costs" The only Cost is finding the Cure in the end and nothing else.
"feeling is that there aren't too many like that," You would be surprised to learn that there are Many of us that do.
We are only at the Number Two Spot in the World because the Number One Team is Coin Based (Again not that it Matters) and Our Team is More Cure Based, and Team Based.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/02 20:06:09

Chris21010
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1587
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 21:22:47 (permalink)
lol. you notice the peak for Feb was Feb 4th and yet you took a pic comparing Feb 4th with march 1st... Feb 1st was only ~6M points higher than March 1st. wait another 3 days for a fair comparison.

Henjam
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/02 22:38:58 (permalink)
bcavnaugh

"worth all the costs" The only Cost is finding the Cure in the end and nothing else.
"feeling is that there aren't too many like that," You would be surprised to learn that there are Many of us that do.
We are only at the Number Two Spot in the World because the Number One Team is Coin Based (Again not that it Matters) and Our Team is More Cure Based, and Team Based.

I know you're appealing to emotions and I want you to know that it isn't without effect. I have family that died of Alzheimer's a little over one year ago, and cancer is in multiple places in my immediate family and friends. I've even helped with some clinical research myself and have seen first-hand what stage 4 means to the victim and the family. I know very well what's at stake.

I would agree that on team eVGA, people seem more likely to fold for the nobler kinds of reasons. However, even the noblest and richest and most devoted of people have financial constraints and practical limits.

The fact of the matter is compute resources are finite and cost money. It's why a 2080ti costs $1000+. The rig needed to support such a high-end card would cost another $500-1000 or so. Electricity costs 12 cents/kWh where I am.

Maybe you can fold with no regard to financial costs, and if you can, all the power to you (and plz plz plz send me a 2080ti). But when the points goals increase by 400%, my associated financial costs go way up from "enjoyable but costly hobby" territory to "unfeasible unpaid part time job" territory. When missing the targets becomes a foregone conclusion, shooting for them becomes a lot less fun. At that point I'd be better off changing my goal from donating points to donating cash money directly to the cause.

Don't get me wrong; if upping the tiers to nosebleed levels gets more total team points while making the program more sustainable and stable, I might not participate personally but I'd totally understand and would be all for it. But if the tiers cause underproduction of points or destabilization of the team, then everyone loses for a pretty dumb reason and I think that's pretty much the definition of a mistake.

I just looked at the daily points chart for the team and it looks like people are stepping up to the plate. Hope it holds for the whole month and beyond.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 04:13:19 (permalink)
Power is 12 cents/kWh here as well, and it is definitely not easy to afford a full month of folding when summer comes around.

During the summer time, I typically fold much much less because of the extra added costs.

This next part have nothing specific to do with year 12, but I found it interesting..

I remember a couple years back, as a team during the yearly folding competition, many folders for the team worked their equipment as hard as possible and dedicated all of our equipment and resource for the full month trying our best to hit the 4 billion points as a joint effort.. this last year, there was only two months went didn’t go bulldozing past that without most of the team making it a focus. The speed at which the hardware can complete a work unit is fantastic these days.
xshurikx
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 06:09:22 (permalink)
this has probably been said by others so i am going to chime in also. i wont hit a single target even with a newer card in my system. i was folding on a 670 and 650TI and my i7-3770k getting barely to 4 million points my 650ti was changed to a 1050TI. what a difference i can hit 4 million in about 20-23 days. giving my system a few days breather before going back to almost 24/7. the only time its not folding is if i am working from home which means i have to stop the main card 670 or i happen to watch a show on my pc. and yet the CPU and 1050 are still on full. according to my tracker i get 230-260k PPD at best I can maybe and that's a big maybe make it to 7 million but in reality i am closer to 230 than 260 most of the time so i would be just short all the time. and if i have to pause for any reason or i have to restart or there is an error in a WU i'm out. so what is the point? i have relied on the folding to help me partially bankroll new equipment, i cant afford a 2080 let alone a 2080ti without those EVGA bucks. I am sure some will agree and some will disagree with me but if you know how i can squeeze more out of what i got happy to do it. and continue folding

Intel i-7 3770k @ 3.7Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600mhz, RTX 2080 Black GTX 670FTW
Corsair Force3 240GB SSD, Mushkin 480GB SSD Corsair HX1000W, Corsair H100 Push Pull Config, Corsair Carbide 500r

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=80585
Affiliate Code: J72X9WRSZW

Chris21010
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1587
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 07:06:06 (permalink)
Looking normal to me so far.

Attached Image(s)

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 11:10:55 (permalink)
Chris21010
lol. you notice the peak for Feb was Feb 4th and yet you took a pic comparing Feb 4th with march 1st... Feb 1st was only ~6M points higher than March 1st. wait another 3 days for a fair comparison.

Chris21010
Looking normal to me so far.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/03 11:26:05

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 11:20:39 (permalink)
Henjam
I just looked at the daily points chart for the team and it looks like people are stepping up to the plate. Hope it holds for the whole month and beyond.

This is Normal for the First of Each Month.
"stepping up to the plate" are mostly the "Buck Folders" (But as I keep saying that is OK)
Now for all the "Buck Folders" that do not read the Forums or even look at the Forums we will see a very large Jump in this Thread in about a Week.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/03 11:36:45

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 11:37:05 (permalink)
Remember that it is Still "Earn EVGA Bucks For Folding with EVGA!" not "Fold for EVGA Bucks with EVGA!"

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11083
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/03/03 12:10:15 (permalink)
I imagine when people go to hit the 2 and 4 million buttons to claim points for the month and see they are not even close, then they will come look in the forums to see what the heck is going on. 

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile