Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 55
Author
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/16 14:29:06 (permalink)
pmclean
redteamgo
Nereus

Where did you get "twice as good" from? Are you basing that on price? The existing GPU block with XL back plate costs about $380. With the double sided block, it's $589, so it's not double the price, as anyone buying the original single block is also going to get the back plate. The new front & back blocks are effectively 2 separate GPU water blocks, so you're buying 'double' the number of GPU blocks, if that's what you mean ...so you can't expect it to be cheap.

The KingPin 3090 was designed for high performance water cooled overclocking (or chilled, or LN2, or even helium apparently), and if you'd done any due diligence you'd know that VRM cooling is an issue with the back side of these GPUs getting really hot. With water cooling, keeping it cooler enables higher clocks, therefore being able to address the high VRM temps with active cooling on the back side of the GPU is going to help run higher overall clocks. Is it going to double the overclock - obviously not. Is it going to enable achieving higher clocks - for sure.. and that is what these cards are for - enthusiasts who really want to push it to the limit.

yes , price was the back of the envelope metric for what I posted. For twice the money I would want twice the performance or thereabouts when considering diminishing returns. Did you get one? I’d love to see a HC vs optimus comparison.

e: and just to be clear.  The 1999 hydrocopper kit for the kingpin hybrid from EVGA was ~ $300.  this one is ~ $600.

If you want twice the performance for twice the money, you obviously do not own a 3090. I don't understand why you're posting in this thread.
yes clearly you are superior and I do not own a 3090 lol

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
pmclean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/16 15:28:13 (permalink)
You're completely correct GTX, I'll keep it in topic.
post edited by pmclean - 2021/08/16 16:16:05

Current Build Direct die 10900KF w/Grizzly LM w/Optimus V2 Sig Block on an ASUS Maximus XII Apex, 32 GB 4000MT/s Cl 15 G.Skill Trident Z Royal RAM, EVGA RTX 3090 KingPin w/Optimus Waterblock, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/Optimus Absolute Waterblock, EVGA 1600W G+ PSU, 2 x Corsair MP510 960GB M.2 RAID0, 2 x WD Blue 1 TB SSD RAID0, 2 x 6TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM HDD RAID0, EVGA Nu Audio Card, Lian Li Strimer Plus 3x8 Pin & 24 Pin, Corsair 7000D White Case, 7 x Lian Li SL140 Fans, Corsair XD7 Distro Plate w/Xylem D5 Pump, Samsung 55" QN90A, Samsung c49RG9 Ultrawide Monitor, HyperX Cloud Orbit Headphones, Sony AV Reciever STR-DN 1080, KEF Q Series 5.1 Speakers, Glorious Model D Gaming Mouse,  SteelSeries Apex Pro KB, Corsair MM300 XL & MM350 XL Gaming Mouse Pad, Vartan Gaming Chair, APC Back UPS PRO BR 1350VA, MO-RA3 420 w/ 2 x WCP D5-Vario Pumps w/HeatKiller D5-TOP, PrimoChill RevolverSX UV Pink Rigid Fittings.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/16 15:48:32 (permalink)
Please stay on Topic ... this thread is About the water block in the OP & NOT who owns what & other off topic stuff ... lets not derail the thread

you know the EVGA Forum Terms

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Chabster
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/16 15:51:46 (permalink)
pmclean
Chabster
tps34433
First of all. 90C is hot lol. Hot to me anyways! What is your memory Tjunction temp?
'

It is always fun how a $1500 FE can make people raise eyebrows and embarrass $2300+ MSRP GPUs, I provided TJ temp already.

Eth speed: 125.794 MH/s, shares: 8373/0/0, time: 79:59
Available GPUs for mining: GPU1: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (pcie 11), CUDA cap. 8.6, 24 GB VRAM, 82 CUs
GPU1: 49C 65% 301W
GPU1: cclock 1140 MHz, cvddc 731 mV, mclock 11001 MHz, Tj 63C, Tmem 80C, p-state P2, pcap power, 418 kH/J

Fan at 65%, ambient 26c, VRAM 80c.

You said "The cooler is runs the better!", may I ask what does "better" mean? Higher hash rate? Higher efficiency? You sleep better?

If those number are true, it's the only FE in the entire world performing so cool with such low power/high hashrate. With regard to 3090 FE's you are the luckiest person in the whole entire world you should be very happy.

They are true, Sir. Consistently true. And my ambient is usually 26-31c, which means it will perform even better in colder environments.

I decided to give my 3090 STRIX a shot and ... it is a bitter disappointment. $2350 worth GPU can't get past 122 mH/s and VRAM temps are sky high 102-104c while fans at 90%. Efficiency is also bad, like 375 kH/s. Lowest among all GPUs I have/had mining.

Not solid (with a hole) backplate for 3090 is a huge mistake. Not flat backplate is a mistake. I added 10 heatsinks on top of STRIXes backplate and a fan. Maybe couple degrees lower. Will try putting one large heatsink with NT-H1 thermal paste instead of a tape, hopefully it will shave 8-10c, but doubt.

3080/3090 FE are remarkable GPUs with truly efficient cooling design. Fans blowing air directly into PCB is dumb.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/16 16:23:52 (permalink)
I think things are getting taken out of context here.  

What "I" think was being shared by Redteamtango was that for the price of Optimus that he would like to see a significant increase in cooling performance of the Optimus water block versus the EVGA HC.  Each person would have to justify their own cost and if it's worth it to buy the HC or the Optimus based on what they want out of their expenditure.  When it does come down to performance, for users who game and aren't pushing for record scores then it may come down to cost verse performance.  With the Optimus backplates from their 3090, I have to say that for most usual task that passive plate would have been good for me.  But with the Optimus Kingpin we don't have that option yet (it is listed on their site but not as an option) so we have to go with their full blown water block on both sides.  Do I think it's going to impact my performance that would be worth the extra $200?  Not for me, but I want their workmanship and product so I ordered one for the KP I have sitting under my desk waiting to be added to my loop.  To me it's overkill for my system, but heck it fits the bill as that's what I would name my system (overkill) as a gamer first and a tinkerer tuner second.  

I was planning on using my PC as my business card as well.  Being able to plan a pc build, execute the build, and then test it's capabilities shows that you are able to build and am worth the price to have people approach me to build their pcs.  I thought about doing this for side money, but in the end i choose to not turn a hobby into a business.  It doesn't mean I haven't been approached as I've had my free time eaten up by builds for others.  But when you calling card is a good as it looks and can keep up in performance as well it speaks volumes to your abilities.  

The backside active cooling will benefit those who push their KPs hard and should do an excellent job of helping lower those VRM temps.  Much better than the passive plate when pushing to the extremes, but each person has to figure out what fits for them when factoring cost/performance metrics and what they are willing to spend their money on.  

From what I have seen from Redteamtango's build, he is a gamer that is using his rig how he sees fit.  From his point of view you can respect that position as it would cost him another 600 bucks to buy the Optimus card and then add it to his loop when he already has the KP with a added on HC kit.  In addition, there would be no absolute that he would be able to sell his HC so that would be another 300 dollars he can't recoup.  So from his prospective the cost to migrate to the Optimus could be closer to 900 bucks which would be very hard to me to justify spending based on performance differences between the two for gaming use.  The performance gains might be minimal for him and that's why he possibly feels that way which I agree with also for him in his situation.  I don't know why he bought a Kingpin as I'm sure he has his own reason, but for me I wanted the better hardware to support the gaming I was planning on doing.  The better components to increase reliability and for better performance when gaming.  I only started to think about Port Royal and Time spy because I wanted to see where my system stacked up with the rest of the PCs out there.  

In the end, we are all (pmclean and Redteamtango) KP owners and should be helping each other out. 

I was lucky and didn't install my EVGA HC kit so I still had options for me to choose from.  My budget for my pc is up to me for the most part so having to spend extra isn't too bad so I don't mind paying more for something that I don't really need but want.  But you never know so maybe I'll get more serious into overclocking and spend more time doing that than gaming.  I guess I'm just getting old but I'll have the hardware to do either depending on what I choose.  I say this often, but it's your money and you should choose how to use it from your perspective.  Each person has their own so sharing that can be helpful to others if we are clear on the perspective and respect others as well.  
post edited by Gotspeed_2000 - 2021/08/16 16:27:21

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/17 07:00:05 (permalink)
Got speed, you nailed it brother. What I should have said in that post to avoid upsetting the benchmarkers is , if I didn’t already have a hydrocopper block, I’d probably get the optimus block. The optimus block is a very cool piece of hardware. But without a significant performance increase vs the hydrocopper it’s just not worth it. 2x is a high expectation. I’d probably settle for 1x better in temps if it really were that good.

For example, if the kp hybrid is x under load and HC is x-5C, if the optimus was x-10C I’d probably go for it because why not. If it is x-8C , that is pretty close to margin of error and just not worth the combined money and hassle.

It looks like it’s too early to know that answer right now so we shall see.
post edited by redteamgo - 2021/08/17 07:01:34

MOD Rigs!!!
elbramso
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/17 08:05:37 (permalink)
The HC Kit is something like 18c delta t water at 520w. I bet the optimus block will be better than just 5c but we'll see

RTX 3090 K|NGP|N OPTIMUS BLOCK, 10900K on Z490 MAXIMUS HERO, 32GB DDR4 3200@3800, Custom loop: 2x 560 + 480 rads, dual pump
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/17 08:45:57 (permalink)
redteamgo
Got speed, you nailed it brother. What I should have said in that post to avoid upsetting the benchmarkers is , if I didn’t already have a hydrocopper block, I’d probably get the optimus block. The optimus block is a very cool piece of hardware. But without a significant performance increase vs the hydrocopper it’s just not worth it. 2x is a high expectation. I’d probably settle for 1x better in temps if it really were that good.

For example, if the kp hybrid is x under load and HC is x-5C, if the optimus was x-10C I’d probably go for it because why not. If it is x-8C , that is pretty close to margin of error and just not worth the combined money and hassle.

It looks like it’s too early to know that answer right now so we shall see.

even the stock pads that come with the HC kit are inferior. for folks pushing voltages and chasing scores, even a few degrees diff will help. is a $600 waterblock a good investment for someone playing warzone every night for a few hours? prob not
pmclean
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/17 14:18:19 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
I think things are getting taken out of context here.  

What "I" think was being shared by Redteamtango was that for the price of Optimus that he would like to see a significant increase in cooling performance of the Optimus water block versus the EVGA HC.  Each person would have to justify their own cost and if it's worth it to buy the HC or the Optimus based on what they want out of their expenditure.  When it does come down to performance, for users who game and aren't pushing for record scores then it may come down to cost verse performance.  With the Optimus backplates from their 3090, I have to say that for most usual task that passive plate would have been good for me.  But with the Optimus Kingpin we don't have that option yet (it is listed on their site but not as an option) so we have to go with their full blown water block on both sides.  Do I think it's going to impact my performance that would be worth the extra $200?  Not for me, but I want their workmanship and product so I ordered one for the KP I have sitting under my desk waiting to be added to my loop.  To me it's overkill for my system, but heck it fits the bill as that's what I would name my system (overkill) as a gamer first and a tinkerer tuner second.  

I was planning on using my PC as my business card as well.  Being able to plan a pc build, execute the build, and then test it's capabilities shows that you are able to build and am worth the price to have people approach me to build their pcs.  I thought about doing this for side money, but in the end i choose to not turn a hobby into a business.  It doesn't mean I haven't been approached as I've had my free time eaten up by builds for others.  But when you calling card is a good as it looks and can keep up in performance as well it speaks volumes to your abilities.  

The backside active cooling will benefit those who push their KPs hard and should do an excellent job of helping lower those VRM temps.  Much better than the passive plate when pushing to the extremes, but each person has to figure out what fits for them when factoring cost/performance metrics and what they are willing to spend their money on.  

From what I have seen from Redteamtango's build, he is a gamer that is using his rig how he sees fit.  From his point of view you can respect that position as it would cost him another 600 bucks to buy the Optimus card and then add it to his loop when he already has the KP with a added on HC kit.  In addition, there would be no absolute that he would be able to sell his HC so that would be another 300 dollars he can't recoup.  So from his prospective the cost to migrate to the Optimus could be closer to 900 bucks which would be very hard to me to justify spending based on performance differences between the two for gaming use.  The performance gains might be minimal for him and that's why he possibly feels that way which I agree with also for him in his situation.  I don't know why he bought a Kingpin as I'm sure he has his own reason, but for me I wanted the better hardware to support the gaming I was planning on doing.  The better components to increase reliability and for better performance when gaming.  I only started to think about Port Royal and Time spy because I wanted to see where my system stacked up with the rest of the PCs out there.  

In the end, we are all (pmclean and Redteamtango) KP owners and should be helping each other out. 

I was lucky and didn't install my EVGA HC kit so I still had options for me to choose from.  My budget for my pc is up to me for the most part so having to spend extra isn't too bad so I don't mind paying more for something that I don't really need but want.  But you never know so maybe I'll get more serious into overclocking and spend more time doing that than gaming.  I guess I'm just getting old but I'll have the hardware to do either depending on what I choose.  I say this often, but it's your money and you should choose how to use it from your perspective.  Each person has their own so sharing that can be helpful to others if we are clear on the perspective and respect others as well.  

You are correct, as all of us are KPE owners, we should be helping each other. 
I apologize for being a arsehole. There have been so many times I've read people discussing price increase to performance increase ratio since the launch of the 3000 series cards. As a PC Gaming/Hardware Enthusiast I learned a long time ago to forget about trying to hold PC hardware to any sort of standard for that ratio. I've been buying high end PC Gaming Hardware for 25 years, I love this hobby and overclocking as well. I think Nvidia did an excellent job creating the 3000 series cards. The Ti's were a total scam, just a way for the them to get a bigger share of the profits from the crypto driven buying frenzy. 

Something I'd like to point out about this, it's not double the price for the Optimus block with active backplate. I assume you must have some backplate for the KPE block. The non-active backplate is $60 for the slim, $90 for the XL backplate.
The active is $199. I doubt many would opt for the slim instead of XL backplate so it's an extra $110 for the active backplate. Which honestly is fairly reasonable price. They may offer choice of options once the cards are ready to ship. Like what they said about colors. Just order for now then you can choose copper if you want when the cards are ready. At least I think that is what they said. 
I think Optimus' prices are all very reasonable and fair. Honestly given the level of quality I think they could charge more. I've even told them as such. During my work on drilling rigs, and helping to build 2 rigs I've seen a lot of fittings. Hydraulic, steam, water, fuel, gas, and drilling mud/returns. Everything from small 1/8" to big 36" pipes/tubing. 
I can confidently say I have seen a large number and variety of fittings in my life. 
For a company to take such pride and produce such high quality products like Optimus is incredibly rare. It's almost non-existent. I cannot say enough good things about Optimus, no other company comes close to their level of quality. I think their prices are extremely fair. They could charge a lot more and many other company's with products of similar quality would charge more. 
Honestly Optimus deserves some sort of award. I am not being sarcastic. 
I've bought Optimus for everything I can. I've got the Signature block for my CPU, Absolute block for FTW3 Ultra and am waiting on KPE block plus a 6 pack of hardline fittings. 

I live in canada, so the KPE block with the 6 pack of Hardline Fittings came to just barely under $1000 CDN. Once I receive the package and have to pay duty it will be close to $1200. That's a steep price for one GPU block and 6 fittings. It's worth it though. I'll be happy with KPE block once I get it and have it running in my loop.

Current Build Direct die 10900KF w/Grizzly LM w/Optimus V2 Sig Block on an ASUS Maximus XII Apex, 32 GB 4000MT/s Cl 15 G.Skill Trident Z Royal RAM, EVGA RTX 3090 KingPin w/Optimus Waterblock, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/Optimus Absolute Waterblock, EVGA 1600W G+ PSU, 2 x Corsair MP510 960GB M.2 RAID0, 2 x WD Blue 1 TB SSD RAID0, 2 x 6TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM HDD RAID0, EVGA Nu Audio Card, Lian Li Strimer Plus 3x8 Pin & 24 Pin, Corsair 7000D White Case, 7 x Lian Li SL140 Fans, Corsair XD7 Distro Plate w/Xylem D5 Pump, Samsung 55" QN90A, Samsung c49RG9 Ultrawide Monitor, HyperX Cloud Orbit Headphones, Sony AV Reciever STR-DN 1080, KEF Q Series 5.1 Speakers, Glorious Model D Gaming Mouse,  SteelSeries Apex Pro KB, Corsair MM300 XL & MM350 XL Gaming Mouse Pad, Vartan Gaming Chair, APC Back UPS PRO BR 1350VA, MO-RA3 420 w/ 2 x WCP D5-Vario Pumps w/HeatKiller D5-TOP, PrimoChill RevolverSX UV Pink Rigid Fittings.

Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/17 15:59:29 (permalink)
pmclean,
I agree that the Optimus stuff is just so good that the pictures don't do it justice.  I was impressed with the pictures when I ordered my CPU and GPU blocks from them, but even more when they arrived.  The blocks are really like blocks, not plates like some of the other manufacturers and the plexi they use and how they machine them is crazy.  Even the threads are machined to reduce stress and promote longer life.  The orings are outstanding and formed to fit as they should to prevent leaks.  It's funny how we can talk about a block of nickel plated copper and plexi and be so amazed by it.  But Optimus does do great work and I would buy it again without a doubt.  

I saw the breakdown of the cost and it was in my opinion very reasonable for the active back plate along with the GPU.  I want overkill and flexibility so this block fits what I want.  For others who have blocks already its a tough pill to swallow in some cases since they already dropped 300 on the EVGA HC.  It's kinda like those who bought the EKWB block for the 3090 and then wanted to change out to the Optimus block after they already bought the EKWB one.  The big difference is that for those with the EKWB blocks there is a additional merit given the history of their blocks bricking the 3090.  So for them, spending another 400 to lessen the chance of bricking their 3090 while improving their temps is much more justified based on those issues.  

It was interesting that Optimus did show options and costs for the Kingpin block though.  Maybe at some point in the future they will offer it with their passive cooling back plate with access to the dip switches.  I forgot that the front side GPU block price didn't include the back plate as the choices were listed too.  I guess you made me feel better about my  purchase even more since for 80 bucks more I get the active plate versus the passive back plate.  

No need to apologize brother, I could kinda of see where both of you were coming from and before it got worse I figured I would chime in.  You both have been good for the others in the past with either passing on info or sharing experiences so I thought it was more a communications issue.  

For me and you, lets hope that Optimus is able to keep or beat the eta on the delivery of those blocks.  I have to build a temporary rig just to play around with my kingpin.  I ordered ram and a nvme drive so I can put together a rig I want to test and develop settings to optimize my kingpin and one of my friend's (islandfleet) while I wait for the Optimus block.  It's better for me to mess with it now before we put that backplate on in case I wanted to adjust those switches.  I must be nuts to buy another 32gb of ram and a 500bg nvme just to tune a gpu.  This is along with my 5800 i just took out of my system along with the mobo and psu from my initial build.  The only concern is that the PSU is "only" a 850 gold rated so I might have to hit up Island fleet to open up his 1200 watt PSU for us to test and tune on.  

This is crazy, but enjoyable as long as my girlfriend doesn't see the bills.  

Have good one pmc.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
pclausen
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 197
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/28 19:47:05 (permalink)
So it has been 5 weeks since we were able to order these.  Any idea when the first ones might start shipping?

As far as mining ETH on 3090's, here are what my temps are like:

The 3090's have heatsinks on the back with 3,000 RPM Noctua's on them.  The 3090's are the last 3 cards on the left.  3988 Hybrid and a pair of 3987's.

My 3090 HC KP does run a little cooler, but not much:

Will be interesting to see what kind of improvement I'll see with the Optimus block.
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/28 20:16:38 (permalink)
pclausen
So it has been 5 weeks since we were able to order these.  Any idea when the first ones might start shipping?

I think it was 4 and a half weeks unless they opened pre orders a week early to you.  July 28th or 29th was the first day of pre orders. 

If Optimus does their usual stuff, the first pre orders will ship 5 to 8 weeks from now.  I'm not joking.
bavor
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/29 11:57:16 (permalink)
I was correct:
https://twitter.com/Optimus_WC/status/1432042787067760643

They already started with excuses.

Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/29 19:39:55 (permalink)
It will be interesting to see how delayed the release might be along with the options they are going to offer.  While I wish they would be more accurate with their release dates etas, their product is also very good when compared to the others being made.  For KP cards, the pickings are very slim with only the EVGA block and this one being offered or soon to be offered.  I just finished my test pc to help tune my KP hybrid while I wait for the Optimus block to be released and received.  Because of my open loop, I'd rather not take my 3090 Optimus blocked card out until I'm ready to put my new Kingpin in.  I mind as well use the time to test and tune the KP card while I wait.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
elbramso
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/30 06:26:03 (permalink)
bavor
I was correct:
https://twitter.com/Optimus_WC/status/1432042787067760643

They already started with excuses.

They should provide us the numbers already. I'm currently fighting with my HydroCopper Kit and that's super frustrating...

RTX 3090 K|NGP|N OPTIMUS BLOCK, 10900K on Z490 MAXIMUS HERO, 32GB DDR4 3200@3800, Custom loop: 2x 560 + 480 rads, dual pump
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/30 06:42:51 (permalink)
idk that doesn't sound like an excuse to me. just an update. they make hand crafted high end products. it's a *good* thing that they recognize their production facility/staff was not capable to handle the demand! this should bode well for future product releases as well. i'd love my kingpin blocks to arrive today, but i have a couple other project i'm working on (including adding optimus blocks to strix and ftw3) so a few more weeks is fine by me. 
bavor
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/30 14:49:04 (permalink)
zippytek
idk that doesn't sound like an excuse to me. just an update. they make hand crafted high end products. it's a *good* thing that they recognize their production facility/staff was not capable to handle the demand! this should bode well for future product releases as well. i'd love my kingpin blocks to arrive today, but i have a couple other project i'm working on (including adding optimus blocks to strix and ftw3) so a few more weeks is fine by me. 

That's an excuse.  That's what Optimus has done many times in the past as an excuse for missing a pre order shipping window.

Optimus has a long and extensive history of:
  • Stating a delivery or shipment date for pre ordered items then delivering them 6 weeks to 6+ months later than originally stated.  Some of their 2080 ti pre order blocks weren't even shipped by the time the 3090 was announced.
  • Saying items are in stock multiple times when they aren't then shipping the in stock items 3+ months later.
  • Ignoring every customer requests for order status when an order is several weeks to several months late on shipment.
  • Making vague social media posts as excuses for delays.
  • Not being upfront to its customers about delays.
  • Making all softs of excuses again and again about delays instead of giving a realistic time frame for product shipment dates.

By this time the people at Optimus PC should know how long it takes to go form pre order to shipment, but every single pre order they have had is shipped at least several weeks late.  By this time the people at Optimus PC should know if a product is actually in stock and not tell its customers that a product is in stock when it isn't.

Sure, Optimus makes great products, but their customer service and communication is among the worst in the industry.  
pmclean
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/31 01:35:28 (permalink)
bavor
zippytek

That's an excuse.  That's what Optimus has done many times in the past as an excuse for missing a pre order shipping window.

Optimus has a long and extensive history of:
  • Stating a delivery or shipment date for pre ordered items then delivering them 6 weeks to 6+ months later than originally stated.  Some of their 2080 ti pre order blocks weren't even shipped by the time the 3090 was announced.
  • Saying items are in stock multiple times when they aren't then shipping the in stock items 3+ months later.
  • Ignoring every customer requests for order status when an order is several weeks to several months late on shipment.
  • Making vague social media posts as excuses for delays.
  • Not being upfront to its customers about delays.
  • Making all softs of excuses again and again about delays instead of giving a realistic time frame for product shipment dates.

By this time the people at Optimus PC should know how long it takes to go form pre order to shipment, but every single pre order they have had is shipped at least several weeks late.  By this time the people at Optimus PC should know if a product is actually in stock and not tell its customers that a product is in stock when it isn't.

Sure, Optimus makes great products, but their customer service and communication is among the worst in the industry.  

Giving a reason for something is not the same as making an excuse. They said before that they are upgrading their facility. They also stated at the preorder time for these blocks they were working on doing more in house, to save time in the long run.

You need to be more reasonable and try understanding how things work in the real world. Things don't always go as planned, turn out to be more difficult and/or take more time than what was originally thought, other companies(suppliers) don't follow through with everything on time. You know things that happen in real life, especially when the whole world is still dealing with pandemic. There are shortages of supplies in many industries. 

I've ordered from Optimus several times, I learned a long time ago not to bug them with emails/tweets whatever when they are busy trying to get products finished and out the door. Sending repeated emails or whatever is just going to slow them down more. 
I have always found their customer service to be fine. They have replied to every email I've sent them. They also replied to me every time I've used the contact us form on their website, except the first time I used it, prior to placing my first order. 

To say their customer service and communication is among the worst in the industry is just wrong. There are companies that purposely rip off, lie and scam customers. 

No one made you order from Optimus, if you're not happy with the service you have received from them don't order/preorder from them. You claim they have a long and extensive history of this with you. So why are complaining about it when it's what you should expect from your prior experience? 

What industry do you work in that never has problems, delays and everything always goes exactly as planned from the start. 
Maybe Optimus should raise prices so they can hire dedicated customer service staff to answer your emails? 

Optimus' quality and attention to detail is incredibly rare. Not just in the water cooling industry, it's rare even for high end expensive industrial fittings/valves etc. 
I am extremely happy they take the proper time with everything and do things correctly. Many companies would start taking short cuts, using whatever supplies they can get regardless of quality. Doing things to their standards takes time, usually more time than originally planned. Delays are not always their fault, they have to rely on other companies for supplies and services. 

It's really just part of the price we pay for the exceedingly rare quality Optimus is known for. 

bavor
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/08/31 13:41:33 (permalink)
pmclean
Giving a reason for something is not the same as making an excuse. They said before that they are upgrading their facility. They also stated at the preorder time for these blocks they were working on doing more in house, to save time in the long run.

Given my prior experiences with Optimus this is just another excuse of many that will follow.

pmclean
You need to be more reasonable and try understanding how things work in the real world. Things don't always go as planned, turn out to be more difficult and/or take more time than what was originally thought, other companies(suppliers) don't follow through with everything on time. You know things that happen in real life, especially when the whole world is still dealing with pandemic. There are shortages of supplies in many industries.

Optimus' history of failing to meet deadlines, making excuses, then following it with more excuses, and stating products are in stock and ready to ship when they aren't started before the pandemic.

You need to understand that poor customer service, delays in shipping, and claimng that things are in stock when they aren't which started before the pandemic, will continue through the pandemic.

pmclean
I've ordered from Optimus several times, I learned a long time ago not to bug them with emails/tweets whatever when they are busy trying to get products finished and out the door. Sending repeated emails or whatever is just going to slow them down more.

The people at Optimus would actually have to bother to reply to emails or tweets for it to slow them down.

For example, I ordered an item that they said was in stock, they had sufficient stock for many orders, and ready to ship. I immediately placed my order. There were no updates to my order for a week, then my order status on their web page said that the item was backordered. I used the contact form on their page to ask for an update since I was told the item was in stock and the web page also said the item was in stock when I ordered. I NEVER received a reply from the people at Optimus. I waited 3 weeks, sent another question through the contact us page asking about the status of my order. No response from the people at Optimus. Waited another 4 weeks, same thing no response from the people at Optimus. Waited another 4 weeks, no response from the people at Optimus. I was about to try to contact them to cancel my order when my order status was updated and the item was going to be shipped soon. Fourteen weeks after ordering an item that was listed as in stock and their employees said was in stock and they had sufficient stock for many orders.

pmclean
I have always found their customer service to be fine. They have replied to every email I've sent them. They also replied to me every time I've used the contact us form on their website, except the first time I used it, prior to placing my first order.

That is unusual. I have never had Optimus reply to the contact form. There are many people on twitter, other computer hardware forums, and Facebook computer hardware groups who say the same thing about never receiving replies to emails or the contact form.  They never receive a reply to the contact form or email and the only way they can even get a vague answer is through twitter.

The only reply I have ever received was in response to a tweet with more vague excuses as to why my "in stock" item was taking months to ship.

pmclean
To say their customer service and communication is among the worst in the industry is just wrong. There are companies that purposely rip off, lie and scam customers.

Ignoring your customers and repeatedly lying that items are in stock to get orders is right up there with lying and scamming for poor customer service in my opinion.

pmclean
No one made you order from Optimus, if you're not happy with the service you have received from them don't order/preorder from them. You claim they have a long and extensive history of this with you. So why are complaining about it when it's what you should expect from your prior experience?

I was hoping that they would eventually improve their customer service/communication, improve their ability to estimate production times, and improve their ability actually ship items on time.  Its only been a couple years since I first had issues with them.  I was willing to forgive it when they were completely new, but they have bene around since 2017 and haven't improved in their ability to communicate with customers or deliver products on time.  It actually seems that their ability to communicate with customers has been getting worse since 2017 and not better.

I also build PCs for other people and have told them if they want the Optimus parts that they should expect a minimum of a 3 month delay due to issues with obtaining their parts.  If the customer wants the Optimus water cooling products and I order them, it shouldn't take 3+ months for in stock items or items in production now and ready to ship in a couple weeks to actually ship.

pmclean
What industry do you work in that never has problems, delays and everything always goes exactly as planned from the start.

Way to go off topic and make excuses for their poor customer service. There is a difference between an occasional unexpected delay and repeated delays, poor communication/no communication, and misleading customers.

pmclean
Maybe Optimus should raise prices so they can hire dedicated customer service staff to answer your emails?

Maybe they need to hire someone to actually answer any of their customers' emails. Based on my experience and what I've seen others say they don't answer anybody's emails or reply to the contact form on their page. You are the first person I've ever seen who said they got an actual reply through the contact form on their page.

pmclean
Optimus' quality and attention to detail is incredibly rare. Not just in the water cooling industry, it's rare even for high end expensive industrial fittings/valves etc.
I am extremely happy they take the proper time with everything and do things correctly. Many companies would start taking short cuts, using whatever supplies they can get regardless of quality. Doing things to their standards takes time, usually more time than originally planned. Delays are not always their fault, they have to rely on other companies for supplies and services.
It's really just part of the price we pay for the exceedingly rare quality Optimus is known for.

At this point I'm beginning to question if the "quality" is worth the extra costs, delays, and poor customer service. Most of their parts(other than GPU blocks) don't perform significantly better than competitors' products costing two thirds or half the price.  So you are paying for the appearance/style of the part.  

I really want Optimus to improve their communication to customers and stop stating that things are in stock and ready to ship when they aren't, but they seem to ignore all feedback about that from what I've seen.
pmclean
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/01 00:18:12 (permalink)
bavor
pmclean

Given my prior experiences with Optimus this is just another excuse of many that will follow.

Again telling someone reasons for something when they ask is not making excuses. 

pmclean

bavor 
Optimus' history of failing to meet deadlines, making excuses, then following it with more excuses, and stating products are in stock and ready to ship when they aren't started before the pandemic.

You need to understand that poor customer service, delays in shipping, and claimng that things are in stock when they aren't which started before the pandemic, will continue through the pandemic.

I did not say that issues that arise in real life occurred only during this pandemic. I said especially during a world wide pandemic.

pmclean

bavor 
The people at Optimus would actually have to bother to reply to emails or tweets for it to slow them down.

For example, I ordered an item that they said was in stock, they had sufficient stock for many orders, and ready to ship. I immediately placed my order. There were no updates to my order for a week, then my order status on their web page said that the item was backordered. I used the contact form on their page to ask for an update since I was told the item was in stock and the web page also said the item was in stock when I ordered. I NEVER received a reply from the people at Optimus. I waited 3 weeks, sent another question through the contact us page asking about the status of my order. No response from the people at Optimus. Waited another 4 weeks, same thing no response from the people at Optimus. Waited another 4 weeks, no response from the people at Optimus. I was about to try to contact them to cancel my order when my order status was updated and the item was going to be shipped soon. Fourteen weeks after ordering an item that was listed as in stock and their employees said was in stock and they had sufficient stock for many orders.

OK, it seems you have bad luck getting emails answered? I don't know what to tell you.  Also it's only your side of the story. You can't expect total strangers to commend a company that provides incredible quality products to thousands of other people based on one poor experience you're claiming. I don't know how their order filling system works but as with other online retailers it is most likely first come first serve. So who knows what happened there but you can't assume what their intentions and/or motivations are. Do you really think they are trying to scam you for what? A couple hundred bucks? Don't flatter yourself, I highly doubt your money is that important to them. Not trying to be an arse just being honest. 

pmclean

bavor 
That is unusual. I have never had Optimus reply to the contact form. There are many people on twitter, other computer hardware forums, and Facebook computer hardware groups who say the same thing about never receiving replies to emails or the contact form.  They never receive a reply to the contact form or email and the only way they can even get a vague answer is through twitter.

The only reply I have ever received was in response to a tweet with more vague excuses as to why my "in stock" item was taking months to ship.

I have seen numerous other people on twitter or instagram whatever saying the same thing, that they never get a response from Optimus.
I have been tempted to respond to others complaining that Optimus never answers emails or the contact us form from their website. I didn't want to come across as jerk so I have bit my tongue about it many times. 
Honestly I have nothing to gain from this. I just wanted to present another story to people reading this.

pmclean

bavor 
Ignoring your customers and repeatedly lying that items are in stock to get orders is right up there with lying and scamming for poor customer service in my opinion.

Again you do not know their intentions or motivations, or what went on behind the scenes, you can't accuse them about lying so much. You honestly don't know. You're assuming the worst and that they are out to get you or scam you, which is a little far fetched. You're accusing them of malicious intent when you really don't know. 

pmclean

bavor
I was hoping that they would eventually improve their customer service/communication, improve their ability to estimate production times, and improve their ability actually ship items on time.  Its only been a couple years since I first had issues with them.  I was willing to forgive it when they were completely new, but they have bene around since 2017 and haven't improved in their ability to communicate with customers or deliver products on time.  It actually seems that their ability to communicate with customers has been getting worse since 2017 and not better.

I also build PCs for other people and have told them if they want the Optimus parts that they should expect a minimum of a 3 month delay due to issues with obtaining their parts.  If the customer wants the Optimus water cooling products and I order them, it shouldn't take 3+ months for in stock items or items in production now and ready to ship in a couple weeks to actually ship.

Actually they have been around for over 50 years. They are "some what" new to PC watercooling, but they have been around a lot longer than 4 years. They specialized in manufacturing for the numerous industries prior to delving into PC water cooling. It would seem prior to PC water cooling they were not a retail company, most of their customers were businesses/professionals. I would guess they are used to dealing with customers that appreciate quality and precision over speed. Customers that also are more understanding of how easily delays occur in high precision manufacturing.  You say I go off topic, I'm not sure why you building PCs for others has anything to do with this, but good for you. From what you've said on here I would assume you say the same things to people with who you discuss computer hardware with outside of this forum. 

pmclean

bavor 
Way to go off topic and make excuses for their poor customer service. There is a difference between an occasional unexpected delay and repeated delays, poor communication/no communication, and misleading customers.

LOL, I was not making excuses for them or trying to go off topic. I was trying to understand where you're coming from? Attempting to understand how you came to the mindset you seemingly have. I've worked in more than one industry, not a lot - I'm not that old or experienced yet - but I understand how easily delays happen and common they are in some industries. 

pmclean

bavor
Maybe they need to hire someone to actually answer any of their customers' emails. Based on my experience and what I've seen others say they don't answer anybody's emails or reply to the contact form on their page. You are the first person I've ever seen who said they got an actual reply through the contact form on their page.

I'm not making this up, again I've got nothing to gain from this. I just wanted to show people Optimus is not as bad you're making them out to be. They absolutely do respond to emails and reply to the contact us form. I've changed orders after making them online, I've had them reply to emails in between orders. 

pmclean

bavor 
At this point I'm beginning to question if the "quality" is worth the extra costs, delays, and poor customer service. Most of their parts(other than GPU blocks) don't perform significantly better than competitors' products costing two thirds or half the price.  So you are paying for the appearance/style of the part.  

I really want Optimus to improve their communication to customers and stop stating that things are in stock and ready to ship when they aren't, but they seem to ignore all feedback about that from what I've seen.

That is your personal decision and you completely free to never deal with them again. 

I have placed several orders and have had no issues and I am exceedingly impressed with the quality of their products. I have easily seen thousands and thousands of fittings in my life, numerous sizes and types, from the retail consumer side and from the commercial/industrial side and I've never seen produce such quality and have such attention to detail. There are many examples of people who are very happy with the performance of Optimus blocks. I completely disagree that we are paying to the appearance/style of the part. Have you read everything on their website, where they state the tolerances/accuracy they use and for example the size of the micro fins? Do you think that's untrue? That we're only paying for style or appearance? I find the level of quality to be self evident in their products. 

Most companies in their position, with so many orders and deadlines coming and going would start taking shortcuts, cutting corners, saying "aww screw it, it's good enough, we need to get these sent out". 
I, and I know other feel the same way, are happy Optimus does not do such things. They evidently take the time and do things correctly. They don't sacrifice quality for speed. They can't keep everyone happy. 

You seem very upset about your dealings with them and almost take it personal. Maybe you shouldn't buy from them anymore? 

Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/01 01:36:05 (permalink)
I just wanted to throw this in there also.  I have purchased my CPU and GPU blocks on two different purchases from Optimus.  The CPU block was sent in the time frame they shared on their website with no issues.  The GPU block for the FTW3 was a bit misleading as the online site that it was "available" for purchase so I assumed that it would be shipped in a timely manner.  What I didn't understand at that time was that while it was available for purchase what I think it meant was that they had the materials available for the block I purchased and that it still needed to be manufactured and assembled.  It took a little over 6 weeks from the time I ordered until the time I got it.  Once I understood that I was actually preordering an item, the time frame was what they had been posting online on twitter for the blocks.  Initially I ordered a silver back plate, but near the end of the 5th week, Matt from Optimus had emailed me letting me know there was an issue with the anodizing and gave me the option of changing to a black colored rear plate or waiting another week or two to get the silver I ordered.  I went with the black and my block was shipped out early the following week.  

Their communication isn't the greatest, but atleast Matt took the time to contact me and gave me a choice as to what I wanted to do.  As a follow up, I was tracking their block for the Kingpin blocks as I was waiting at the time in line for their release.  The week before they actually released it, I emailed Matt to ask if he had any additional info on the Kingpin block.  I did not get an email response until the following week which was right after I ordered my Kingpin block from Optimus.  He actually emailed me apologizing for the delay in getting back to me, but what got me was that he actually knew I had already placed the order for the block.  

I know from my research into Optimus that the early orders for the blocks were delayed quite a bit.  I knew that going in and that's why when I saw the GPU block available for purchase I jumped on it thinking I was the luckiest guy on the web that night.  But for those who ordered early, they had wait times approaching 3+ months so I can see their frustration at the wait to be honest.  I know they also had issues with communications in the past, but I was impressed with Matt getting back to me about my initial gpu order and then also the Kingpin block I later followed up with.  

They are not perfect, but to each their own based on their experiences with the company.  Their product is very good, to me second to none as far as the quality of the materials they use, finishing techniques, and design.  The pictures don't do it justice for the optimus products.  I've had both EK and Optimus in my short time using water blocks, and you can tell the difference in weight of the product and the design.  It's in the fine details that imo separate Optimus from many of the other companies.  Machining the threads instead of using a die, the thickness of the materials used, their platting process, etc are the differences that are hard to tell by just looking at pictures.  

To be honest, if you don't want to deal with them then it's up to you.  But for me I have no issues based on my own experiences to not recommend them to others with the understanding that wait times could be extended.  With that understanding, I am waiting on their release for their block so I can add my Kingpin to my primary pc to realize it's potential hopefully.  My test pc is not up to the task I think to tune the settings, but atleast it provides me a baseline to what I should expect from my KP once I'm able to add it to the loop in my primary pc.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
bavor
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/01 12:26:15 (permalink)
pmclean
Again telling someone reasons for something when they ask is not making excuses.

Given Optimus' prior track record and my experiences with them, that is one of their many excuses. They will use that as one of the many excuses to miss production/delivery estimates.  When theya re late in producing the blocks they will go back and reference that as a reason.  In reality, they would have known about facility upgrades ahead of time and been able to factor that into production time.

In reality, their production/delivery times are never realistic based on their prior track record. Instead of learning from their many repeated missed production and delivery times, they continue with unrealistic timeframes for production and delivery. Then they will make all sorts of excuses.

pmclean
I did not say that issues that arise in real life occurred only during this pandemic. I said especially during a world wide pandemic.

The issue is Optimus had plenty of opportunity to resolve or improve those issues long before the pandemic. They didn't. That's poor customer service and a poor business model.

pmclean
OK, it seems you have bad luck getting emails answered? I don't know what to tell you. Also it's only your side of the story. You can't expect total strangers to commend a company that provides incredible quality products to thousands of other people based on one poor experience you're claiming.

Its more than one poor experience. I was just giving one example of several in recent times. Looking on Twitter, various computer hardware forums, Facebook groups, and discord I have seen I'm not an isolated case and it seems to be the norm for the company to not reply to emails or the contact form. On one hardware forum, someone said the only way to get any sort of communication from them is through twitter.

pmclean
I don't know how their order filling system works but as with other online retailers it is most likely first come first serve. So who knows what happened there but you can't assume what their intentions and/or motivations are. Do you really think they are trying to scam you for what? A couple hundred bucks? Don't flatter yourself, I highly doubt your money is that important to them. Not trying to be an arse just being honest.

I never said they are trying to scam me. My point is that they are being completely misleading telling customers that items are in stock, they have a large quantity of that item, the item is available to ship, then after immediately ordering the item, I find out later that they were being misleading and the item was never in stock and available to ship in a short time frame as they claimed.

They are probably doing this to increase their sales because people are more likely to order if an item is listed as "in stock" or they are told an item is "in stock." Optimus wouldn't be the only company to do this.

pmclean

I'd like to know your secret, because it seems that every comment I've seen about their communication with customers is that its basically non existent and the only way to get a reply is to get a vague response from them on twitter.

pmclean
I have seen numerous other people on twitter or instagram whatever saying the same thing, that they never get a response from Optimus.
I have been tempted to respond to others complaining that Optimus never answers emails or the contact us form from their website. I didn't want to come across as jerk so I have bit my tongue about it many times.
Honestly I have nothing to gain from this. I just wanted to present another story to people reading this.

I can understand that your experience was different. Maybe you got lucky, however you probably have seen some of same or similar comments from customers that I have about their lack of communication with customers. So you can't deny that that Optimus has issues with communication with customers.

pmclean
Again you do not know their intentions or motivations, or what went on behind the scenes, you can't accuse them about lying so much. You honestly don't know. You're assuming the worst and that they are out to get you or scam you, which is a little far fetched. You're accusing them of malicious intent when you really don't know.

As I said above, I don't think they are trying to scam people. I think they are being intentionally misleading by telling customers that items are in stock and available to ship when they aren't. I also think they actually don't regularly update their web site with actual inventory status so you can never trust the web site to know what is actually in stock.

If people think an item is in stock they are more likely to order it than place an order for an out of stock item and wait for it to be produced. This leads to higher sales that they normally wouldn't have if they were truthful and accurate with not only their web page, but also with their communications with customers. If the item is delayed, Optimus gives a vague excuse about the delay and the customer often won't cancel the order.

pmclean
Actually they have been around for over 50 years. They are "some what" new to PC watercooling, but they have been around a lot longer than 4 years.

Yes I'm aware that they have been around in other industries longer. My point is they have been selling direct to PC consumers since 2017 and have had a poor track record of communication and meeting delivery timelines. Also, they haven't improved on that in 4 years despite many opportunities to do so.

pmclean
They specialized in manufacturing for the numerous industries prior to delving into PC water cooling. It would seem prior to PC water cooling they were not a retail company, most of their customers were businesses/professionals. I would guess they are used to dealing with customers that appreciate quality and precision over speed. Customers that also are more understanding of how easily delays occur in high precision manufacturing.

I've worked in other industries and if a parts supplier keeps missing delivery deadlines and has poor communication, they aren't used anymore.

That makes me think their PC market isn't much of a concern to them because its probably a lower dollar sales volume if they have contracts in other industries. So, producing items for other industries gets priority over their PC parts production. Maybe that's why they can never even come close to their original claimed production and shipment timeframe for PC parts, especially preorders.

pmclean
You say I go off topic, I'm not sure why you building PCs for others has anything to do with this, but good for you. From what you've said on here I would assume you say the same things to people with who you discuss computer hardware with outside of this forum.

Building PCs for others gives me more opportunity to deal with many different hardware companies and retailers. I've made purchases form many different retailers and parts manufacturers. Optimus is the only one that consistently misses shipment deadlines and has consistently poor communication.

pmclean
LOL, I was not making excuses for them or trying to go off topic. I was trying to understand where you're coming from? Attempting to understand how you came to the mindset you seemingly have. I've worked in more than one industry, not a lot - I'm not that old or experienced yet - but I understand how easily delays happen and common they are in some industries.

My point is the occasional missed deadline in other industries is vastly different than Optimus missing every deadline and having awful communication. No industry would consistently put up with that from a supplier.

pmclean
I'm not making this up, again I've got nothing to gain from this. I just wanted to show people Optimus is not as bad you're making them out to be. They absolutely do respond to emails and reply to the contact us form. I've changed orders after making them online, I've had them reply to emails in between orders.

I don't know why you seem to be the only one who is so lucky with communication with them.

pmclean
That is your personal decision and you completely free to never deal with them again.

If anyone else made a Kingpin 3090 block that was good, I wouldn't be dealing with Optimus. Unfortunately EVGA is the only other Kingpin 3090 water block manufacturer and decided to sell blocks for $300 that are subpar in cooling performance and also sometimes leak between the clear acrylic and the darker plastic parts.

pmclean
I have placed several orders and have had no issues and I am exceedingly impressed with the quality of their products. I have easily seen thousands and thousands of fittings in my life, numerous sizes and types, from the retail consumer side and from the commercial/industrial side and I've never seen produce such quality and have such attention to detail. There are many examples of people who are very happy with the performance of Optimus blocks. I completely disagree that we are paying to the appearance/style of the part. Have you read everything on their website, where they state the tolerances/accuracy they use and for example the size of the micro fins? Do you think that's untrue? That we're only paying for style or appearance? I find the level of quality to be self evident in their products.

The real world performance difference between Optimus CPU blocks and many competitors products is so small that its almost within margin or error. When a $60-$70 universal Intel 115X/AM4 block can consistently deliver CPU temperatures within 1C of an Optimus AM4 block until the CPU is overclocked with raised power limits and it drawing 270+ watts, that leads me to question if the Optimus block is actually any better in real world performance than a $60 block or any other lower priced waterblocks.

Therefore, you are buying Optimus products for the appearance and name and not the performance when it comes to CPU blocks. Their pump/res combos and fittings look nice, but in reality, you are buying those for appearance, not performance. I haven't see n anything that shows their fittings or pumps perform any better than parts costing half as much. The only time I've seen a significant difference is with their GPU blocks.

You can go on and on about quality and attention to detail, but in reality it makes no difference in real world performance, so its mostly about appearance. For example, its the same with watches. Most $10,000 or even $200,000 watches don't tell time any more reliably or accurately than a $50 Timex, but many people still buy them for the appearance.

pmclean
Most companies in their position, with so many orders and deadlines coming and going would start taking shortcuts, cutting corners, saying "aww screw it, it's good enough, we need to get these sent out".
I, and I know other feel the same way, are happy Optimus does not do such things. They evidently take the time and do things correctly. They don't sacrifice quality for speed. They can't keep everyone happy.
You seem very upset about your dealings with them and almost take it personal. Maybe you shouldn't buy from them anymore?

I only buy from Optimus when I have no other choice or when someone throws a bunch of money at me for a build and definitely wants Optimus products in their build.  Otherwise I avoid them.
bavor
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/01 12:28:56 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
I just wanted to throw this in there also.  I have purchased my CPU and GPU blocks on two different purchases from Optimus.  The CPU block was sent in the time frame they shared on their website with no issues.  The GPU block for the FTW3 was a bit misleading as the online site that it was "available" for purchase so I assumed that it would be shipped in a timely manner.  What I didn't understand at that time was that while it was available for purchase what I think it meant was that they had the materials available for the block I purchased and that it still needed to be manufactured and assembled.  

I'm at the point where if Optimus says something is "available" or "in stock" that they mean they have the raw materials, copper and acrylic, in their storage area to produce the item.  Not that its in its final packaged form and available to ship within 5 business days.
bavor
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/01 12:49:54 (permalink)
Basically, I want people to be fully aware that Optimus has a long history of repeatedly missing production and shipping deadlines and rescheduling the shipping timeframe multiple times for most preordered items.  Also I want people to be aware that Optimus has a long history of poor communication with customers.  So, be prepared for the Kingpin 3090 blocks to be produced late, have the shipping deadline extended at least once or maybe multiple times, and don't expect Optimus to tell you much until your item is ready to ship.  That's their normal business operations in my experience based on multiple orders over several years.
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/01 13:01:10 (permalink)
bavor
Basically, I want people to be fully aware that Optimus has a long history of repeatedly missing production and shipping deadlines and rescheduling the shipping timeframe multiple times for most preordered items.  Also I want people to be aware that Optimus has a long history of poor communication with customers.  So, be prepared for the Kingpin 3090 blocks to be produced late, have the shipping deadline extended at least once or maybe multiple times, and don't expect Optimus to tell you much until your item is ready to ship.  That's their normal business operations in my experience based on multiple orders over several years.

Thanks for the heads up; I pre-ordered the Kingpin 3090 block back in late July and this is my first order from Optimus.  If there is a delay, I won't complain too much, considering I waited for the Kingpin 3090 hybrid for 4 months or so.

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

pmclean
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/05 01:45:14 (permalink)
Obviously I am not the only who receives communication, see post above from GotSpeed.
Creating a product that has to be as precise as a waterblock for another company's video card is maybe a little more complicated then you think. 
The performance difference for Optimus blocks is more than margin of error or run to run variance is my experience and others posting their results. If you think their fittings are no better than all the others you're wrong, just wrong. Sorry not trying to troll but give people the truth here not just try to bash Optimus every way you can think of. They sale a brand name Xylem D5 pump for $75 dollars. Where can you get a D5 for half that? Name one other watercooling website that sell actual brand name Xylem pumps? The reservoir etc, you are paying for much higher quality materials and machining. It's a long term purchase that gives peace of mind against leaks. If you don't consider those advantages, that they mean nothing and you're just paying for looks that's your opinion. But it doesn't change the fact that they are advantages over other products made with inferior materials. Unless you're using a $3 plastic bucket you paid for looks when you bought a res. If you're not overclocking then I would question why you would want to buy any high end blocks to begin with. If someone not overclocking wants to setup custom water loop for silent cooling or whatever reason they probably don't need to spend the extra on the most expensive blocks on the market. 

Why do you require regular updates when you preorder? What is there to say to you expect telling you when the product is ready to ship? Really nothing else matters. If you feel entitled to constant updates when you preorder a product that has not even been created yet maybe you should just wait until products are made and more than one batch has been sent out. 

I am telling people that Optimus is NOT as bad as you say. They do communicate. I ordered my FTW3 block after I think they sent out two batches. I didn't wait very long for it, about a month maybe less. I certainly didn't feel the need to email them to ask when it would be ready. My CPU block, V2 Intel, came right away, it was at my home in eastern canada in less than 2 weeks from when I ordered. They have responded to every email I've sent them, and responded when I used the contact us form on the website. The very first time I emailed them using the contact us form they did not reply but I had not yet ordered anything so I understand now why they didn't reply. They responded in between one of my orders as well, just to say all my replies have not been directly related to orders I had made. 

From all you have to complain about Optimus it confuses me why you continue to order from them, especially preorder.

slev21
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/05 04:44:59 (permalink)

My purchases from Optimus were a Signature V2 Cpu Block-Intel and a Absolute FTW3 Gpu Block.
Both of these were ordered in the last week of July and both arrived with in Ten days at my address here in the UK. I was kept informed about the progress of my order and was very impressed with the man (I won't mention his name, just in case.) who dealt with the order.
I will definitely purchase other water cooling parts from them in the future and would not hesitate to recommend them.
sawtheDEVIL
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/05 09:01:33 (permalink)
https://twitter.com/Optim...us/1433596769858777103
8c Delta sounds pretty nice if true. I'm excited for this block whenever we get it.

Rama Kara Noct/T1's/GMK WOB/Pwnage Ultra Custom>Thermaltake WP100>Dark Hero VIII>5950x/32gb Dominator Platinum RGB>3090 KPE>32G7/32GK850G/27HBU
MackWage
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/05 14:17:21 (permalink)
I'm so excited for this block and cannot wait to get it! 

As for comments on Optimus as a company - I have been nothing short of impressed with all of their products .. as well as their customer service when I do reach out. I agree the wait times and continued delays with brand new product releases can be frustrating ... however they're still a newer company and have expressed multiple times how demand far exceeded their expectations ... and how they're taking steps to upgrade their process or factory to streamline their operation. So I do not perceive any of the delays as malicious or incompetence in any way ... just a newer small company experiencing explosive growth and growing pains. 

And with how happy I am with their FTW3 blocks ... I have no qualms with a longer wait or delay to get a product of that tier quality .. especially for a KPE card. 
redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/09/05 18:13:57 (permalink)
Just wanted to chime in and say that I really had no idea how high of a reputation Optimus had earlier on in the thread.

I picked up a 3080TI FTW3 the other day and when possible, I plan to put that into an optimus CPU / GPU block in that SFF system

In the past few days I've become very disgruntled with EKWB.  They go way out of their way to market themselves as top tier but they just aren't.  They're giving me a hard time on replacing a stripped screw.  Not to mention, their pump, rads, and fans all have different standards: 3 different allen wrenches, some phillips and some plastic allen (which shattered when I tried to remove a stopper - I had to score the plastic remnants out of the bottom of my res this morning when the key shattered while trying to loosen a res), I'm just over it..  they wanted me to send youtube videos and pictures of a quantum magnitude screw that had stripped using their own fitted allen wrench when I requested a new screw.

Their response should have been, "please send your proof of purchase and we will have a whole new mounting set to you in 2 day shipping".  but no.  They want youtube videos, pictures, descriptions.  Its just laughable.  Its like rolling into the McLaren dealership with your 12C or a Porsche dealer with your turbo and they ask you as a prerequisite are subscribed to sirius XM when doing an engine diagnostic for cylinder misfiring.  Simply outrageous.

When you're spending this kind of money, it just doesnt make sense to skimp.

My next system will be pure optimus.
post edited by redteamgo - 2021/09/05 18:23:22

MOD Rigs!!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 55