Author
LionTWsteel
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/06/21 06:39:45 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/3ZQyNvZy5do?feature=shared
New Gamers Nexus video in Kingpins lab. Vince says kingpins cards "might" be back!!!

17 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16552
    • Ribbons : 271
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/21 07:25:07 (permalink)
    I don't get the buzz.  He's just a brand name.  I think of him like a department director who has a good camera presence and gets the credit for the department who actually does the work.
    EVGA Classified was nothing without Shamino (and I am sure many others) and EVGA Kingpin was nothing without TiN (and I am sure many others).  Kingpin is just a brand.  Who cares?  He's an overclocker, and not even the best overclocker.

All hail the corpo! Corpo is back!
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2024/06/21 07:39:28

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2409
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/21 07:58:11 (permalink)
    @ty_ger07, I think even the non-XOC people out there liked the cards he pushed designs on. Even though he wasn't the one doing the CAD-work, he was pushing the design direction entirely. He claims he did the cooler designs for those cards as well and had demands about power connector locations, board layout (from a shape/usage perspective, not traces), etc. and that has led to some cards that look and function better than their competition in many ways. With EVGA we saw some of those ideas trickle down into better design choices for the non-KP models. Obviously not all the design choices were there because the lower models cut costs quite a bit, but it can influence the company's design choices in a positive direction (if you agree with his design choices anyway). This is all beyond the actual XOC folks that actually get a benefit from the skus he's helped produce. Sure, I think of him more as a product manager than an engineer, but he definitely does some of his own work and testing...probably a lot more since TiN and Shamino left.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49055
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/21 09:50:47 (permalink)
    My eyes are on pny now. 😁
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 84141
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/22 02:11:19 (permalink)
    PNY could now lead the GPU overclocking market with Kingpin there. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ironage
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/22 09:33:22 (permalink)
    AFAIK PNY was the OEM that actually manufactured EVGA GPUs in the past.

the ADA PNY GPU Designs are well done, based on reference PCB.

coil whine is not much of an issue and the cooler with silent fans is doing a good job.
    post edited by ironage - 2024/06/22 10:18:17
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30689
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/23 12:11:16 (permalink)
    some interesting information was sprinkled into the mix of the video

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/23 16:12:48 (permalink)
    I am looking forward to the numbers to see what really happens when overclocking especially in games using RTX. Right now games don't really need 4090 level of raw performance for hardly any game so imagining what the 5090 numbers would be like seems in a lot of ways just trying to get the highest benchmark. The real interesting thing though would be what happens when all the latest technology is used and how that will increase performance.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18111
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/23 16:58:00 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I don't get the buzz.  He's just a brand name.  I think of him like a department director who has a good camera presence and gets the credit for the department who actually does the work.
    EVGA Classified was nothing without Shamino (and I am sure many others) and EVGA Kingpin was nothing without TiN (and I am sure many others).  Kingpin is just a brand.  Who cares?  He's an overclocker, and not even the best overclocker.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0 

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1367
    • Ribbons : 4
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/23 18:04:21 (permalink)
    Nereus
    ty_ger07

He is just spam Nereus
    Cute response thou...
    post edited by SmookinJoe - 2024/06/23 18:28:04

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10467
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/24 13:46:52 (permalink)
    This has the potential to be good for consumers and enthusiasts if PNY is serious about this segment of the market. Kingpin can help with the front end, but PNY will need to step us their warranty/customer service if they want to actually replace EVGA in this area. Hopefully it's what they're interested in by loooking to bring Kingpin on.  Time will tell.

Good video btw...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQyNvZy5do&t=127s

post edited by bdary - 2024/06/24 13:51:37

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16552
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 05:02:38 (permalink)
    SmookinJoe
    Nereus
    ty_ger07

He is just spam Nereus
    Cute response thou...

Well, like it or not, it's true.  He's a brand name held up by good engineers.  They will need more than him if they want to perpetuate the brand.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 84141
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 08:00:26 (permalink)
    Looking forward to a PNY Kingpin. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 08:01:11 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Well, like it or not, it's true.  He's a brand name held up by good engineers.  They will need more than him if they want to perpetuate the brand.

Vince agrees with you to some extent. In the video, he said he would need like two good engineers to work directly with him who do all the CAD design work (I'm guessing one EE, one ME). This setup is pretty common in big companies where there'll be a "Product Manager" or "Project Manager" who takes ownership of the product design, specifications, marketing goals, etc. and then drives the engineers to bring said product to reality. Yes, those engineers do the technical design, but a lot of engineers aren't good at product conceptualization. Some are, though (I like to think I'm one of those lol), but there's a hefty majority that just like to be given specifications/requirements and then they take the idea and turn it into a manufacturable design. A lot of big companies like that type of engineer because they don't ask a lot of questions or try to put their input to things, they just churn out designs as told. Smaller companies (or smaller teams within companies) tend to like the more creative engineers who will take it upon themselves to come up with more of the product concept because then they don't have to also have a product manager for every product/project.

At the end of the day, yes, "K|ngp|n" is a brand and he's not a design engineer, but he is an extreme enthusiast who has proven that given the resources he can drive product development to produce a series of products that people like. If you don't like them, you don't have to buy them. I fully agree that a good looking card with good overclocking capabilities does not mean it's overall a good product and it needs more to prove that. PNY will also need to show that they can support such a product (because people tend to break them and EVGA had pretty good support for the XOC community) as that's not a market they've previously served. Galax has some great overclocking cards for example, but I have no interest in them because you can't get them easily and there's no support in the US. Some people in the US still go through the trouble to get them, and that's cool. It's just not for me.

As a side question, can you point to any GPU company that gives credit to their design engineers? I have never seen that happen before. I have seen Vince grab the EVGA motherboard guys and put them on the camera when GN came over to give them credit for the awesome motherboard BIOS work they were doing (his words). So...while he doesn't always name them, I have actually seen him give credit to the engineers for what they do, unlike any other company out there.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30689
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 11:11:47 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    ty_ger07

Vince agrees with you to some extent. In the video, he said he would need like two good engineers to work directly with him who do all the CAD design work (I'm guessing one EE, one ME). This setup is pretty common in big companies where there'll be a "Product Manager" or "Project Manager" who takes ownership of the product design, specifications, marketing goals, etc. and then drives the engineers to bring said product to reality. Yes, those engineers do the technical design, but a lot of engineers aren't good at product conceptualization. Some are, though (I like to think I'm one of those lol), but there's a hefty majority that just like to be given specifications/requirements and then they take the idea and turn it into a manufacturable design. A lot of big companies like that type of engineer because they don't ask a lot of questions or try to put their input to things, they just churn out designs as told. Smaller companies (or smaller teams within companies) tend to like the more creative engineers who will take it upon themselves to come up with more of the product concept because then they don't have to also have a product manager for every product/project.

At the end of the day, yes, "K|ngp|n" is a brand and he's not a design engineer, but he is an extreme enthusiast who has proven that given the resources he can drive product development to produce a series of products that people like. If you don't like them, you don't have to buy them. I fully agree that a good looking card with good overclocking capabilities does not mean it's overall a good product and it needs more to prove that. PNY will also need to show that they can support such a product (because people tend to break them and EVGA had pretty good support for the XOC community) as that's not a market they've previously served. Galax has some great overclocking cards for example, but I have no interest in them because you can't get them easily and there's no support in the US. Some people in the US still go through the trouble to get them, and that's cool. It's just not for me.

As a side question, can you point to any GPU company that gives credit to their design engineers? I have never seen that happen before. I have seen Vince grab the EVGA motherboard guys and put them on the camera when GN came over to give them credit for the awesome motherboard BIOS work they were doing (his words). So...while he doesn't always name them, I have actually seen him give credit to the engineers for what they do, unlike any other company out there.

Nice 

-- another short comparison: 

Do you know any engineers for racing teams?  The drivers seem to get all the glory, right.  To be a good driver you need special skills & do not need to be an engineer; however you must be able to articulate what you want, what you need, what your seeing..... so, engineers can make it better.

Kingpin is the driver

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 479
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 13:44:18 (permalink)
    I had nothing but bad experiences with PNY support. I feel they are worse then Asus just for the fact that Asus fixes my stuff where PNY told me to shove a sock in it. I do have to consider that this was for a 9600GT and a 9600GSO.... so maybe times have changed for them.

As long as your popular enough, you can get away with anything.
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 14:09:24 (permalink)
    I had nothing but bad experiences with PNY support. I feel they are worse then Asus just for the fact that Asus fixes my stuff where PNY told me to shove a sock in it. I do have to consider that this was for a 9600GT and a 9600GSO.... so maybe times have changed for them.

Yeah, for years their primary business (in GPUs at least) has been for big commercial contracts like HP/Dell for Quadro style cards (but some GeForce cards too). So if they're going to make a big push into the general population (even just the OC-happy crowd), they're going to need to work on their support network and communication. 

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2125
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Kingpin is back with PNY?? 2024/06/26 17:37:32 (permalink)
    I have a pair of PNY GTX 690 cards I used to use in a 4-way SLI configuration on a 4K panel and no game was unplayable at least the ones I own..

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile