EVGA

Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option.

Author
RETROHELIX47
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/09/07 00:01:53 (permalink)
I'm currently facing an issue with an invasive Nvidia Control Panel behavior, every time I attempt to set a custom value on the old Sharpening setting, Nvidia decides to overwrite it with their own setting. At the moment it's only happening with Cyberpunk 2077 profile. Also, it does occur whenever I try to change the power management mode on dwm.exe and explorer.exe (but with this it doesn't bother me that much), now with Sharpening that's a whole different story. (it doesn't even make sense)
I couldn't find any article online regarding this specific issue. All my other games allow me to use any custom values for the old Sharpening method.
Is there anything I could do to eradicate this kind of behavior for good? I want to have total control over my components. Not to be under the brand's will.
I hope someone can enlighten me in the right direction.
Kind regards.

14 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30693
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 07:01:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like your custom settings are not being applied/saved

Which OS are you using?

Which Nvidia driver?

Are you logged in to PC as Admin?

You can always use DDU to uninstall all Nvidia drivers & then make a clean reinstall

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

RETROHELIX47
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 07:26:45 (permalink)
    Windows Server 2022
    Admin
    That was one of the first things I did, but without high hopes that it could solve it. Dwm.exe and explorer.exe always had this issue in the power management setting, when I had Windows 10 2h22 installed. I know this isn't easy to sort out with a simple solution. The issue is related specifically to the Cyberpunk 2077 profile. So that eliminates most of the "basic" eventual solutions. My idea is to get someone with deep knowledge who could potentially be able to track down this kind of behavior and manage to block it. Possibly regedit, or even mess with the driver files. The same goes for dwm.exe and explorer.exe profiles. That specific setting is being managed automatically by Nvidia.
    I don't want Nvidia to overwrite any of the changes I make.
    post edited by RETROHELIX47 - 2024/09/07 07:32:45
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 07:33:24 (permalink)
    Not for your specific issues; but, it does keep Nvidia at arms length

I like & use NVCleanstall ---> You get to control what parts of the Nvidia driver package actual gets loaded
    (excerpt)
    "Our free software lets you customize the NVIDIA GeForce Driver package by removing components that you don't need (or want). This not only keeps things tidy, but also lowers disk usage and memory footprint."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49064
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 10:19:43 (permalink)
    No idea if this will work, but you could give it a shot…

#1 Boot into safe mode.
    #2 Use nvidia inspector to edit the profile settings you want. **If this doesn’t work try #3**
    #3 Use the geforce 3d profile manager to export the profiles to the desktop, and then open the file make the changes you want to the profile manually then import the file back afterwards. Then proceed to do #4 while still in safe mode.
    #4 Search your ssd for nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrssel.bin & nvdrswr.lk files and set them to read only. Doing this should prevent the profile settings from being changed when booted into normal windows mode.

https://github.com/Orbmu2...fileInspector/releases
    https://nvidia.custhelp.c...pps.xml.-did-something
    davevt31
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 942
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 13:17:31 (permalink)
    Do you install the GeForce experience?  Maybe that is doing something to your settings.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 14:25:12 (permalink)
    Is Optimize "turned Off in GeForce Experience" for Cyberpunk 2077?

Cyberpunk 2077: Optimize Your GeForce RTX Graphics Settings

(excerpt from Nvidia link above)

The easiest path to great performance is to use GeForce Experience. Simply download the latest game ready driver (460.79), find Cyberpunk 2077, and click Optimize to automatically configure the best combination of image quality and performance settings.
    • Click on the Home tab in GeForce Experience (it defaults to home page already)
    • Find Cyberpunk 2077, hover over the game tile, and click Details
    • Click Optimize
    • If you want to customize what the game is optimized for, click the wrench next to the optimize button and use the slider to set to your preferred optimization settings.Alternatively, we have prepared three fairly massive charts that will show you the optimal graphics settings based on your RTX GPU and resolution. You may download them below.

RETROHELIX47
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 17:28:02 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Not for your specific issues; but, it does keep Nvidia at arms length

I like & use ---> You get to control what parts of the Nvidia driver package actual gets loaded
    (excerpt)
    "Our free software lets you customize the NVIDIA GeForce Driver package by removing components that you don't need (or want). This not only keeps things tidy, but also lowers disk usage and memory footprint."

I also tried stripping the driver to the bare minimum with no success.
    And that includes not using GeForce Experience at all.
    RETROHELIX47
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 17:32:27 (permalink)
    Sajin

#1 Boot into safe mode.
    #2 Use nvidia inspector to edit the profile settings you want. **If this doesn’t work try #3**
    #3 Use the geforce 3d profile manager to export the profiles to the desktop, and then open the file make the changes you want to the profile manually then import the file back afterwards. Then proceed to do #4 while still in safe mode.
    #4 Search your ssd for nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrssel.bin & nvdrswr.lk files and set them to read only. Doing this should prevent the profile settings from being changed when booted into normal windows mode.

I'll give this a shot. I have never heard of this before, it might be my lucky shot. I'll report back.
    Kind regards
    RETROHELIX47
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 18:10:01 (permalink)
    RETROHELIX47
    Sajin

#1 Boot into safe mode.

I'll give this a shot. I have never heard of this before, it might be my lucky shot. I'll report back.
    Kind regards

No success, on Nvidia Profile Inspector and editing the text file. On P.I. there are no labels on certain settings on the bottom (so it's difficult to understand which ones should i mess with), and on P.M. text file is the same, without any extra maneuverability. I believe it's related to the Control Panel itself. You guys could see it for yourselves, on "manage 3d settings", add a program and search for dwm.exe (C:\Windows\System32). Then scroll down into "power management mode" on that specific program profile, and there you'll see the forced selection by Nvidia "NVIDIA Recommended". The same happens if you try to add explorer.exe (C:\Windows). Now on Cyberpunk 2077, only the old Sharpening method is being overwritten.
    The idea would be to manage any change in the control panel behavior itself (any kind of config file for the NVCP). To block it from acting like this.
    RETROHELIX47
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 18:21:09 (permalink)
    Sajin

#1 Boot into safe mode.

Regarding setting the following files on read-only mode (nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrssel.bin & nvdrswr.lk). It doesn't appear to be the solution, cause as soon as you insert any custom value on CP, and press Apply, the NVIDIA Recommended shows up straight away, as a selected option. So that doesn't give me enough time to set them to read-only. It's instantaneous. Give it a shot with dwm.exe. You'll see what I mean.
    But thanks for the attempts to help me out with this.

I've got this "issue" posted on Nvidia discord tech support channel, with some additional pictures. Let's hope someone will pick this up, and eventually find a solution.
    post edited by RETROHELIX47 - 2024/09/07 18:27:02
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/07 23:39:27 (permalink)
    I tested everything out like you said. He is what happens on my system...

For cyberpunk I was able to turn off the nvidia recommended setting for the sharpening. For dwm.exe & explorer.exe I was able to set the power to use global setting (normal), but when you click apply to make the setting stick it appears to set it back to nvidia recommended, but it doesn't. After you close the nvidia control panel, and go back to look at the profile for dwm.exe or explorer.exe the power setting will indeed be on use global setting (normal). I'm using driver 552.12 by the way.
    RETROHELIX47
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/08 01:01:14 (permalink)
    Sajin
    I tested everything out like you said. He is what happens on my system...

For cyberpunk I was able to turn off the nvidia recommended setting for the sharpening. For dwm.exe & explorer.exe I was able to set the power to use global setting (normal), but when you click apply to make the setting stick it appears to set it back to nvidia recommended, but it doesn't. After you close the nvidia control panel, and go back to look at the profile for dwm.exe or explorer.exe the power setting will indeed be on use global setting (normal). I'm using driver 552.12 by the way.

I've just tested the dwm.exe and explorer.exe and indeed it worked, after restarting the control panel. Now for Cyberpunk 2077 it didn't (btw The sharpening method that I'm on, is the old method [way far superior compared with the new one aka Image Scaling). The weird thing is that it just acts like this with Cyberpunk.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/08 01:44:09 (permalink)
    If you have another system where you can setup the profiles like you want, and then copy the nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrssel.bin & nvdrswr.lk from that system, and replace the ones on your system with the ones from the other system while in safe mode, and then set those four files to read only while in safe mode that should fix it maybe. Well not totally fix it, but that should be a nice workaround that would work.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8879
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia Control Panel overwriting my custom values with "NVIDIA Recommended" option. 2024/09/08 09:30:51 (permalink)
    Sajin
    If you have another system where you can setup the profiles like you want, and then copy the nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrssel.bin & nvdrswr.lk from that system, and replace the ones on your system with the ones from the other system while in safe mode, and then set those four files to read only while in safe mode that should fix it maybe. Well not totally fix it, but that should be a nice workaround that would work.

Remember to save the original files in case you run into any problems. You shouldn’t but it’s always best to have them on like a thumb drive just in case.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile