Helpful ReplyTitan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
Dave3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 720
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/15 18:48:28 (permalink)
Tom Clancy Wildlands (the only thing I played or launched), 100% fan speed, got to 181F:
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/dave3d_bc/media/3rd_vidcard/3rd_titan_10_15_2017_heatfan110percent_zps41wvd95z.png.html?sort=3&o=0

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
ErinW
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 1149
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/15 23:22:37 (permalink)
181°F is 82°C. That's a nominal temp for a blower-style card under full load. If Warhammer is working fine, but Wildlands is not, it's very likely that it's an issue with that game, not the card. 

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/17 19:23:37 (permalink)
No, thats not the only game that crashes.
Its just the one that crashed 3 times in 1 day, and thats why I posted about it.
ALL games are crashing.
If I play 2 different games in a row, it crashes. If I play 1 game it crashes. The only time it does NOT crash is when watching video's or web browsing.

And, I talked to a VERY nice rep today, and they are going to do another rma, and this time rma my evga supernova gold 1300w psu also.

Although, I doubt this is going to solve anything.
And, it just seems that evga is giving me the runaround until my titan warranty expires and then they will say 'oh well, your warranty is expired'.

So tired of the evga runaround, no matter how nice the person on the other end of the line it, it is ALWAYS the customers fault. ALWAYS.

@Dr. Death
I specifically asked for a 1080ti (which, I 'think' would solve the problem, since every other card runs fine in my computer EXCEPT the Titans), but he laughed and said no way.
Even though I paid $1400.00 for my Titan X, PLUS another $200.00 for watercooling (that did NOT fix the issue) PLUS 2 years of running around, installing, uninstalling, running K-Boost, running windows in limited mode, and doing everything under the sun that has been asked of me to do. And, EVGA would get back the Titan they 'CLAIM' is perfectly fine, and I STILL would have paid $1400.00 for a $750.00 video card.
Its getting to the point where I am thinking of getting the media involved in this, because go look at the newegg and amazon reviews, and you will see a LOT of people getting the same (or WORSE) crud back from evga, and evga STILL claiming its the users fault, every single time. Even with evga's own motherboards, let alone video cards and power supplies. And most everyone saying the same thing: evga gave me the runaround and said it was all my fault when using other suppliers parts and everything magically worked with all the same parts, except the evga part. Hmmmmmm.....

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/17 19:28:10 (permalink)
Time to make a video. 
Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/17 20:35:14 (permalink)
I have made a video.
They said the card tested perfectly fine in their testing, and nothing was wrong at all with it.

I still think its a G-Sync/900 series issue.
Thats why I wanted to try a 1000 series, because I havent heard of any issues with the 1000 series and G-Sync (except with sli). I would even take a refurb 1080ti. And thats losing 1gb memory, $1600.00, and 2 years messing around with this issue.
If they could actually just send a refurb 1080ti to me to test with, we could see if the issue really is just the G-Sync and the Titan. If it still plays badly, stutters, crashes, and has terrible pop-in, then they can give me back a Titan X. But, if it actually fixes the issue, then I wouldnt mind taking a lesser card, as long as I get to play my games.

Like I said, all I want to do is play my games (with my 2560x1440 G-Sync, DP only port, monitor).
The only other monitor I have is a really old dvi/vga 19inch screen.

And, I know it wont make a darn bit of difference, but I am going to try (yet AGAIN) the latest drivers from nvidia.

(And, what is really bad is, that this 3rd Titan, which has crashed since day 1, is probably the best Titan I have had, as when it DOES work, it is the fastest FPS I have had in many of my games. In Warhammer, I am getting 'up to' 191 FPS, and a steady 168-173, which is really good. But, when it crashes 2-3-4 times a day, and I only play a couple, maybe 3 times a week, it is just aweful. Heck, if it wasnt for the crashing, this card would not get an rma at all. It doesnt do the stuttering (yet) while watching video's/browsing online. It has the best FPS out of the 3 Titan X's I have had. Although, even this one has the terrible pop-in issue in games, but I am so used to it at this point that it barely bothers me at all. So, yeah, if I could get it to NOT crash, I would keep it).
post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/17 21:00:52

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 00:48:47 (permalink)
OK.
So, this is completely out of my range of knowledge.
I just played the same games I play (Warhammer Vermintide, TCGR Wildlands, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst), and got totally different results than I have been getting since I have had the card (but, I dont always have monitoring software going, so its possible, even likely, that these are things that have been happening on those very rare occasions when the video card or games dont crash.

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/dave3d_bc/media/3rd_vidcard/10_18_2017_3rdrma_wtd_zpsjmx41u4y.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Note that it is the same card, same specs (I still dont OC anything), and these anomalies are happening:
The fan speed 100% changed to a higher state: 4833 rpm, instead of what I usually see is the low 3000 to high 2000's.
The memory controller is 68% instead of its usual 99-100%
The temp was 143F instead of the usual 181 to 185.5565 (I attribute this to the higher rpm of the fan this time, plus the lower gpu memory controller?)

So, how does this happen?
I have had the fans at 100% for the last week to week and a half, and the numbers just arent the same at all. Today they were excellent. Before today, every time I have monitored things, they have been gpu mem controller 100%, MUCH lower 100% gpu fan speed rpm's, and much higher temps. AND the room temp is 73F instead of the usual 71F, so its actually hotter in here tonight.
What could have made them SO much better tonight than before (oh, and I didnt get a single crash tonight, although that happens once in a while, it is very rare that I dont get a crash since I 1st put this 3rd rma card in  my system (I have witnesses, my friends I play with, and I drop out of games because of crashes, or the system auto reboots and I even lose them from skype).
I didnt install the new driver yet, I got the itch to play while I could.
Could NOT playing with my friends in coop mode affect the video card? Because that is THE only thing that has changed today, I didnt play coop with my buddies. But, that couldnt have an affect on how much gpu memory controller is being used, or especially what the video card THINKS is the max 100% rpm, right? How is it one rpm one day (at 100%) and 400 to 2,000 rpm more the next day, at the same 100% fan speed setting?

This is the kind of stuff that has been happening since (I am guessing) since 6 months after I bought my brand new card. Overheating and playing like dog poo, then playing fine, then playing like poo again, then stuttering all over the place like a slideshow, then crashing games, then crashing the machine (probably drivers, but who really knows at this point? Threads that evga says there is no way that it could be the drivers causing this and that, then saying its the users machine, then etc etc etc).
COULD it be the PSU is going out, and is affecting the internal preset mechanisms and bios if it doesnt get enough juice to it?
Could it be the card putting itself in low power states and not telling things to ramp up all the way when its supposed to, so part of the card is working at 100% and part is stuck in 30-40% still?
How can that happen when the bios, the code written, is supposed to do exactly what it was written to do? It shouldnt be able to deviate like that right?
Or, is the Titan X the 1st card to have a sort of AI, where itself monitors and turns on things that it 'thinks' should be the way it 'thinks' they should, but its wrong a lot of the time (I know, sci-fy stretch, lol).

But seriously, how can these wide variations be happening?
What more testing can I do to try to narrow it down (although it seems to be narrowed down to gsync and the 900 series to me) ? The tech today got me thinking that the power supply could be going wonky, but the only thing I see there is the 3.3v going down to 3.18 one time, and it usually stays at 3.31 to 2.89, which is well within specs (EVGA Supernova Gold 1300W psu is what it is).
Maybe if I remove the HDD's that are in there right now, and start fresh with no other drives at all from the previous (right now)  os drive (ie: clone the drive to another fresh drive and use ONLY that fresh drive, not the other 3 drives attached)?
Get rid of the M.2 drive, and that way the bios will assign ALL the pci-e lanes, and not cut off the 3rd x16 lane (which was for 3 way sli, which I am not using anyway, so it doesnt matter if its down or not).
What bios options 'could' interfere with the video card doing what its supposed to? What should I look for in the bios? What should the video card hard coded stuff be/need in order to run correctly? I have the pci-e lanes at max capacity, and the slot for the video card on gen 3. I think the power/voltage/thingy is set to 100. Should it be different than that? That is what it came up with, being everything on Auto. What bios settings should I report back to you guys and gals?

I know I have the rma's already, but I am wondering what could be causing this, and I dont want to have to go through this whole thing again.
So, if you know anyone that knows how to troubleshoot weird stuff like this, then please ask them and let me know asap, because I will be pulling things apart and be shipping everything in less than 2 weeks.

The only thing I can think that could be wonky is the PSU giving up the ghost (but this rarely happens, especially when you have a 1300w psu and the system only pulls about 500-600w, so plenty of headroom to account for degradation of psu parts).
The motherboard is setting something about the pci-e lanes that is not compatible with the Titan X, like the power, the hz, frequency, or who knows what? Not me, thats for sure. (doesnt the Cpu also manage pci-e lanes? Could it be a cpu setting then?).
Or, is it what 'I' think it is, and there is just a whole ton of wonkiness between the 900 series and the G-Sync DisplayPort monitors? A lot of the people who have had issues with the 900 cards have had evga psu's, and g-sync monitors.
It doesnt seem to be the bios battery, because everything is still as it was when I left it the last time, and it doesnt have to re-address everything (I have had this issue in the past on seperate machine, but this is not what is happening).
The memory is always the same, it doesnt change, and I have run memtest+ and the memory is fine.
The cpu rarely gets to 100F, although when my friends came up and we had 3 beasts of machines going at the same time , I did see temps in the 123f or 132f (dyslexia, sigh) (the room has its own ac, but it just held it at bay, lol). The cpu is water cooled, dual radiator.
The HDD's arent overheating. The 4TB drive gets the hottest, at 109F.
The case has all the same pressure fans (except the Titan X runs much faster and pulls more air than anything, at 100% fan speed), so there arent really any dead spots in the system. Its a HAF-X Super tower, with plenty of room and airflow.
The system works flawlessly with ANY other video card in it (well, any that I have, which is a lot actually). It just doesnt seem to work with the Titan X well at all.

Thanks for any thoughts on this, and hopefully not things you come back with will be all physical, lol, like pulling stuff out, because I am hurting like the dickens just from getting the evga tech the p/n for the psu, and will probably be down for a day or 2 because of it. Remember, I am disabled (but not drawing Disability money, waiting for the hearing in another year, so 3 years not being able to work, 0 income in 3 years so I cant just go out and buy a new motherboard, or a new power supply, or a new video card, etc, and things that used to take minutes and didnt hurt now take 10x longer or more, and end up with me in bed with ice packs and/or heating pads for a day or 3 before I can get going again). :( And, I dont have anyone to help me, except my wife, and she is disabled also from leukemia cancer in her bones. So, she can only help so much. (sorry, not trying to sell a story, but my problems are much more than what I am saying, and I really cant do much at all, although I was healthy until 3 years ago, and I built ALL of my computers, from 1995 until 2015 (this current system, where the Titans dont work), and have NEVER had so many issues with 1 piece of hardware in my life. And, I take CARE of my stuff. I make things last a long time. Most of my computers and parts can be seen as new (as I rarely use them) or I keep them in such nice condition.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully someone will come up with an idea that will make it work. This card really is better than the other 2 I have had to rma, except for the crashes and the weird settings that keep changing (100% should BE 100%, not a real 40% sometimes and 60% others, and 100% rarely).
post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/18 00:59:42

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 09:22:45 (permalink)
HW Monitor could be giving you false readings. Did afterburner show the same readings? 

Rebooting whlie gaming is usually a sign of a faulty psu or video card.
Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 12:11:38 (permalink)
Yes, as shown on the link, I have both hw monitor and afterburner running, and they both show the same thing.
And, this 3rd card is the only one that has had the crashing and rebooting issue.
So, you think I it could be either one?
Its going to suck not being able to have a gaming machine going until I get them both back from rma, but if thats what it takes.
So all this time, it could have been the psu going out on me?
Should I contact support and only send the psu in, then test when the psu rma comes back in, and if its still crashing, send the video card in?
Or, should I just send them both in, and test them both at once?
They did rma both the card and the psu, so....

I do have a psu I could test with, but it is an oldrer one, like from 2008/2009. It is a 1200w single rail though, so should have enough for the Titan ?

Thanks.
post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/18 15:07:38

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 13:25:43 (permalink)
I'd send them both if you don't know anyone that would allow you test the card in their system. Testing the card at a local computer repair shop is always an option too. Tesing with another psu wouldn't hurt. Hope the old psu doesn't have any issues as it could cause the system to reboot if it does.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 14:02:12 (permalink)
Yes, 1200 Watt PSU has enough power

Rig 2 - in my signature - has 2Way SLI - EVGA Titan X SC and custom loop all running on 1200 W PSU - pulls about 650 - 750 watts depending on load

Max I've seen is 925 W, with CPU OC and very heavy loads

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 15:00:03 (permalink)
I am disabled and have 0 income for over 2 years now, so a local shop is not an option. Nor is anything to do with having to have money.
But, I have the 1200 ready to put in the system, I just have to remove the 1300 evga one.
I hurt myself just unplugging the computer yesterday and moving it 2 feet and removing the side panel, just to get the serial number for the evga tech.
So, I hope tomorrow I can pull the 1300w, and maybe then or couple days later can put in the 1200w, depending on how bad I hurt.

Thanks for the info.
My cpu is not oc'ed, and its not sli either, so good that the 1200 will work.

Yesterday after the tech got off the phone, I went into the bios, and looked around. I saw an option for the motherboard to enable APFC. Shouldnt that disabled? Doesnt the psu already have that? Also, my ups has it if the psu doesnt anyway. So, disabled it already is, just wanted to make sure thatthats what it should be or not.

Thanks.

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 15:30:26 (permalink)
Sajin

And since the computer never crashed or rebooted before I got this 3rd titan x, and as soon as I put in the titan x it started  rashing and rebooting, that means it HAS to be the titan x, right?

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 15:40:08 (permalink)
Dave3d
Sajin

And since the computer never crashed or rebooted before I got this 3rd titan x, and as soon as I put in the titan x it started  rashing and rebooting, that means it HAS to be the titan x, right?

Yep, but evga also replaced your psu, so who knows.
Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 18:12:49 (permalink)
I just got the RMA emails yesterday from them, but havent sent out the psu or the video card yet.
I did, however, get the 1300w evga psu out, and the corsair 1200w put in.
I am typing on the machine now, with only the psu changed out, same 3rd titan x.
Everything seems 'snappier'. More responsive.
So, maybe it was the psu.

I am going to game w/o afterburner on, and see if it crashes or not.
If it does not crash, then I know its the psu.
If it crashes, I know its the video card.

Right?

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 18:50:09 (permalink)
Yep, unless the psu you're using is also faulty. 
Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/18 23:13:26 (permalink)
Hmmmm.
I swapped out the evga 1300w psu, and put in the corsair 1200w psu.
I ran quake 3, Vermintide, The Crew, and Wildlands.
I ran the titan x w/o afterburner, and the card got to 185f/85c.
BUT, it didnt crash.

I am not saying that this is definitive, 100% the psu, but the psu is going back no matter what.
I think I need a couple days testing (probably a week until my friends can play with me online) to make sure the card is not crashing at all.
But, still, yesterday it didnt crash with the evga psu in either. So today is not concrete proof that things are better.
As the video card started heating up, everything seemed to slow down, like my mouse speed, my kb speed. When it was fresh, with only getting to 135f (quake 3 doesnt stress it much) it was very snappy and fast still, just like on bootup. But, as the card got hotter, everything seemed to get wonky.
But, the card did well.
So, we will see.
I may have to talk to that evga tech guy and just get the psu replaced for now? Dang I forgot his name though.

Also, I noticed that the gpu memory controller did NOT go to 99 or 100%, AGAIN, this day. I am thinking it might be the card only when that memory controller gets to 100%.
Anybody have any ideas on how that gets that high? Any way to try to replicate it, besides having to just play games?
Maybe a gpu benchmark app or something?

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/dave3d_bc/media/3rd_vidcard/3rd_titan_newpsu_zpsxl1rgtoo.png.html?sort=3&o=0
Link to new HW momitor today.

post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/18 23:22:19

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 00:03:50 (permalink)
Well crud crud crud.
The video card wont pass 3dmark stress test.
It failed the stability test, at 91.2% framerate stability.
It started out good, with mostly 92-97 fps, but after like 5-6 runs (it loops 20 times) it started getting lower and lower and lower fps, until it was getting 67-73 fps at around the 12th run. This confirms what I am feeling in games, as the card gets hotter and hotter, it gets slower and slower and slower, and is affecting my overall system, with the sluggish mouse and keyboard feeling probably coming from the video card not able to keep up with the button presses and mouse movements? Like I said in a post above, everything started out great, snappy feeling, mouse and KB were very responsive, the boot time of the desktop was awesome (from password to actually seeing all of the desktop icons and being able to load task manager). BUT, after gaming, everything sort of gets all muddy feeling, like its slogging through mud to move the mouse, and the KB presses are not responding well like when at first boot (I have nothing running but classic start menu, AntiVirus (the same one I have had ever since the system was built, when it was working perfectly for the first 6 months) and windows fences. This feeling does NOT happen with the evga gtx 780 in the system. I dont know what it is with the titan x, but it just gets weird unless I have the fans on at 100% all the time. And, my 2nd titan x started out this exact way, and it ended up with me eventually having to put K-Boost on just to be able to web browse, let alone game. I am afraid this is happening again. BUT, the card did NOT crash! Thats a win at least. :)

My 1st titanx, when I got it, passed this test pretty easily, at like 99.x% stability.
So, poop and crud.
:(

But, it didnt crash.
:)

EDIT:
OK
So, here we are again.
We are back at having to run the video card WITH a 3rd party software to get stable frames.
I put on afterburner, and it passed the stress test (which is JUST testing the video card, nothing else. Just the framerates) with 99.6 framerate stability.
This is with the corsair 1200w psu in.
Again, the memory controller never went to 99 or 100%. It was at 42% max in this test.

I am going to up the test, and have it include the cpu also.

But, just like with the 1st titan x, I am seeing some major anomalies with this titanx (3rd rma) also, I am seeing core clocks from 1000, 1164, 1177, up to 1190, memory bus clocks stay at 1753 though, and cpu clocks from 3.5 to 3.56ghz and 3.5 to 3.7ghz. I am not OC'ing the cpu (looks like I might have oc;ed it when I first got it, but that ended very quickly. I just wanted to try to get a really good score in 3dMark, and backed off the oc of the cpu right after testing. It was my bad memory that made me forget I had actually oc;ed it before, but now seeing it on 3dmark, it MUST have been oc;ed, so sorry for saying that it had NEVER been oc'ed. But, I REALLY never oce'd the video card. I dont even know how., nor the gpu, so how are all these things getting changed so drastically? How CAN they be allowed to change? Is it the Afterburner software dinking things around, whenever and TO whatever it wants? Is that actually possible? Since it is not happening from my bios (it has been repeatedly set back to stock settings over the last 2 years, so that cant be whats messing things up and isnt keeping everything at 1 thing every round, right? It seems it could be the Afterburner software making little tweaks here and there, where it feels like it needs it and can get away with it (although it usually doesnt get away with it, and "I" end up paying the price for it, in bad gameplay, frustration for over 2 years about this happy crappy titan x, not being able to game, not being able to even web browse or youtube.
We always end up    right     back    here,   the    same     spot. The video card seems to make decisions on its own, for whatever reason (nobody seems to know why it does it, except maybe the evga video card team, but THEY sure as heck arent telling anyone), so we, the customers get screwed over, and have to keep getting the runaround for years at a time, until their warrenty expires, and then its no longer evga;s problem, and they have done thier job in NOT solving peoples problems, and NEVER passing along the issue to someone who MIGHT be qualified to take on the task of 'maybe' fixing, or even understanding, what the issue is, no, you cant get back to that engineer, or developer, or anyone knowledgable instead of just a tech (again, he was VERY nice) who 's job it is to just give the same old cruddy hardware back to the same people who are having the same issues, so its just a vicious cycle that gets the end user screwed in the end.

Tests run from me:
https://www.3dmark.com/fsst/597721

Its late.
I am going to do the actual real stress tests tomorrow and the day after.

I just wish someone could tell me why these settings are always changing to different settings, and how to get the gpu memory controller to 100% again, so I could replicate the crashing.
Anyway, sorry for the long post.
Its nice that the card hasnt crashed yet, as that was the main issue with this particular card. But, its also disheartening that I cant repro the 100% gpu memory controller issue anymore.
post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/19 01:29:59

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 00:47:01 (permalink)
You'll get better scores in the 3dmark stability test with your gpu fan set to 100%.
Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 01:46:09 (permalink)
I edited the post above yours.
I am seeing even more anomalies now, when running these tests.
I ramble a bit, but the core clocks are all over the place, the gpu bus clocks never go higher than 1753 on any of the cards I have had (which means its stable there at least), and the cpu clocks are also kind of al over the place.
All that, and KNOWING that the reason the crashes happen is because the gpu memory controller gets stuck at 99-100%, and THAT is when the crashes are happening. 
But, no one can tell me how to repro this, or why its happening. And google isnt coming up with anything either.

This is what I have found about the gpu memory controller issue:

I was googling my problem all afternoon, and I found nothing. All I got is, Change the paste, damages card, bug in the bios firmware, driver problems, driver conflictions with older graphics drivers, computer ventilation, and dust problems.

The paste doesnt seem to matter. I have had both smothered on paste, and barely any paste at all, and water cooling, and all still had some of the same problems.
I have tried MANY different drivers.
There arent any driver conflicts.
Computer case, ventilation, and cooling are all VERY good.
So, that leaves only the bug in the bios firmware, or poor components getting out of spec when it gets too hot (which is NOT a user issue, its an evga engineering issue, sorry to say).

I have to stop making these super long posts.

So, maybe some tech, or guru, can tell me how to load the controller, to try to make it crash?
Maybe someone could forward this to someone who might know about this issue, or can figure it out?

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 10:40:29 (permalink)
As your system become sluggish, what are:

The CPU core temps?

The MB - Northbridge temps ?

As the Titan X heats up under load, what Fan RPM ?

You mention changing TIM, ever change the thermal pads ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Dr.Death
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1011
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 13:16:54 (permalink)
hes posted on this in here as well ?

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-TITAN-X-Hybrid-randomly-overheating-m2715489.aspx

to me having that many same card fails   gets kinda hard to point at the card  if it was to be with all them RMA's in a row  that's extremely  a stroke of bad luck and whats the chances ???

like in this   I aint too hip on that  sabertooth line   between my 3 my buddies 1 and his sons 1  all got replaced quick  after a lot of parts swapping  [$$$ ]  just to find out it was that asus  board  all parts worked well and as expected on other brands replacement boards ..

I don't recall him saying if he used the titans that are 'bad''  in other supported compatible  gamming rigs  to se if it was in fact the cards doing the same  in them as well .  if so then seems best to cut the chase on this and get another line of card  [maybe crap can them titans and go with a 1080ti  and be done with it ???]

for us all the sabertooths did was sink its saberteeth in to our billfolds   [lol...]

good luck 
p.s

be sure you got the latest motherboards bios that may add better support to that line of gpu's   . withn the release of the 900 series a lot of boards had to have one ???

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 14:32:39 (permalink)
@Cool GTX:
Temps are all posted on my links to photobucket. But, like I said, all the cpu temps never get over 108, EXCEPT when my buddies came up this summer and all 3 heavy duty gaming machines were going, and the room temp got to ~85f. The cpu probably got to 123 then. But, that was only for a week, then they were gone, and the temps went back to normal. I have the corsair GT cooler cooling just the cpu, and all the air coming from it is super chilly. Only the video card gets hot.

I am not sure how hot the mobo NB gets, I dont know which sensor that is on HWMonitor. bHWM only shows cpu temps and speed, voltages (which with the Corsair, the 3.3v is stable now, and not fluctuating like the evga 1300w supernova was doing. All the rails are rock solid now). But, my fans are running at 100% all the time. I have: 2 250mm(?) fans, one in front blowing in across hdd's, one on the side blowing in on the lower mobo/video card. I have 1 140mm fan right above the front 250mm fan, blowing into the video card and over the top of the video card and over the ram. I have 2 140mm fans blowing out the top of the case, pulling all of the heat from the case (these are slightly higher rpm fans, so it gets all the heat out). I have 1 pci-e slot cooler pulling any heat off of the top of the psu. The psu has its own cool air channel, and sucks air from the bottom of the case to straight out the back of the case, so there is very little heat from the psu.
So, yeah, the whole case is one big heat sucking and spitting out machine.

The titan fans are already stated many many many times.
If I DONT have afterburner running, the fan only spins up to 40-53% fan speed, which gets up to 85C/ 185F, and everything slogs down after about 20 minutes of gameplay.
If I DO have afterburner running (at 100%, I dont do the fan curve, its just always at 100%), then the temps only get as high as ~71.7C/161F, and games dont get that 'slogged down' feeling until about when the temps get to the 145f area and above, which could take as little as 20 minutes, or up to an hour.
But, it ALWAYS gets that 'slogged down' feeling. EXCEPT when I use my GTX780. Then, everything seems to stay as it always should be, snappy and quick.

I only ever changed the TIM 1 time, and that was my 1st titan, evga said to do it to see if the temps would go lower. The other time (the rma for the first card) everyone said to get water cooling for it, so I bought the H90 and the Corsair kit, and I used the paste that came with the h90 already on it, the temps went crazy low, but the card still had the same issues.
When I talked about having crazy amounts of paste, and very thin paste, that was what evga put on there, not me.
------

@Dr.Death
Yes, I have the latest bios. It has the extra Haswell-E option in it, to support more stable voltages, also.
Also, I only have 1 Titan X, not 2 or 3. Just 1. And EVERY other video card I have put in this system has been super good, not a single issue. ONLY the Titan X (on my 3rd card right now, so 2 rma'd cards) has a problem.
But, I think Sajin and the EVGA tech I spoke to on the phone were right. Since I put in my other power supply, this thing has been running good, no crashes (although I DO still have to run afterburner, with the gpu fan set to 100%). BUT, the card has NOT replicated what it WAS doing with the GPU MEMORY CONTROLLER going to 99-100%
I think that is what has been causing the Titan X to crash all the time.

But, since putting in the Corsair PSU, I have not had a single crash. And, I did some big time video card stress tests with 3dmark and my own games.
I want to know HOW to get the GPU MEMORY CONTROLLER to 100% again though, to confirm that is actually what is causing the crashes.
And, I would like to do some other testing, like prime95 or anything else anyone can suggest, to stress the system, to make sure I am not going to rma this video card, since it seems stable with the new psu in it.

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 16:46:26 (permalink)
OK.
Tested with Unigine Heaven Extreme benchmark, let it run about 10x first before doing the benchmark.
Extreme test, with tesselation, @ 2560x1440

Got 1409 score, min 26, max I forgot already lol, avg 55.9.
Which is a ???? score for an I7 5930k and a Titan X @ 2560x1440, as shown here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/unigine-heaven-4-0-benchmark-scores.198888/

And, with the test as everyone else has them there, @1920x1080, I am getting results:
FPS: 89.4
Min FPS: 31.7
Max FPS: 182.0
Score 2253

This is at the very low end of those with Titan X cards, but theirs are also clocked at 1200 to 1600, and mine is only clocked at 1100.
And, their cpu's are all OC'ed, some to over 5ghz.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/unigine-heaven-4-0-benchmark-scores.198888/

So, I dont feel that the card is doing too badly.
Its not doing great, but again, it didnt crash. (the memory controller only got to 63%)

I am going to do 2 more tests (3dmark Extreme test, followed by Mirror's Edge Catalyst gameplay, to see if it gets the memory controller out of whack or not), and call this system good with the evga power supply out of it and the corsair power supply in it.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 17:34:53 (permalink)

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 18:00:08 (permalink)
Well, it is at the very back of the pack in 3dMark Extreme test (the EXACT same setup as mine is #2, I am even worse than MY yesterdays result, for some reason, sigh).
1st place is 99.3% frames.
Mine is 89th place with 98.2 frames.

So, I am not digging the results at all in 3dMark.
post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/19 18:31:49

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 18:22:18 (permalink)
EDIT:
NM
It has base 1000 clock, with a boost clock when it decides to.
I see in the amazon description now.

But, I am supposed to get 7010 memory clocks?
All I see it getting to is 3506? Is this dynamic also? If so, how come its not going to full speed when the memory clock is? Or, am I using the wrong hardware monitoring software to be able to see correctly?

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/dave3d_bc/media/3rd_vidcard/3rdtitanx_clock_wonky_zpsnb2ztjdc.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Anyway, still no crash.
post edited by Dave3d - 2017/10/19 18:31:28

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 18:41:44 (permalink)
3506 x 2 = 7012. 
Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 19:08:32 (permalink)
Sajin
3506 x 2 = 7012. 

DOH!
Dumb me.
On my behalf, I WAS up until 6am this morning, benching this card and trying to get it to crash.
Funny how a power supply can make the video card crash like that?
The only thing I saw funny was the 3.3v rail, coming in very low at 3.189 every once in a while.
I didnt even know that the video card used 3.3v rail at all? Or does the PCI-E lane use it, and maybe thats why the vid card crashed?
Its weird, not having the card crash anymore, since it crashed ever since I first got it, lol.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/19 23:33:13 (permalink)
Dave3d
Funny how a power supply can make the video card crash like that?
I didnt even know that the video card used 3.3v rail at all?
Or does the PCI-E lane use it, and maybe thats why the vid card crashed?

Not at all.
A little bit.
PCI-E x16 slots provide 3.3v & 12v.

Dave3d
SSC Member
Re: Titan X not going pci-e 3.x anymore, 2nd card 2017/10/20 10:52:54 (permalink)
Hmmm, cool.
Learn something new every day.

But, GTA V just locked up on me.
I couldnt even move the mouse, use the KB, or escape the game.
I had to Ctrl + Alt + Del

I hope its just GTA V though.
Going to try some other games.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile