EVGA

LockedEVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 25
Author
overclockerguru
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 22:49:14 (permalink)
donta1979

Yes that would hold true but I have been though 3x psu's due to this issue, first couple times it just burned out my psu, the antec 1200w did it in. I dont think all three of them had poor connectors. Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w"no modular cables", Corsair 1000hx, and an Antec TPQ 1200w. so its more than just a bad connection. At least the first two psu's just died and didnt do anything the antec tpq 1200w just kept going  then bad bad stuff started to happen...

As shamino has stated what happens is that connector gets too hot, causing the melting of plastic, the pin on the psu will darken from extreme heat. The psu starts pumping massive voltage into the 12v's on the 24 pin to meet the demand of the gpus power draw from the mobo as shamino stated he made the pcie lanes stronger than normal to keep them from burning up from high power consumption gpus. But only so much power can go though due to resistance. The end result is a burned 24pin, dead psu, dead hardware, and if the psu goes off the deep end can cause a ton of issues. even a fire. What the molex does is solves the issue of the power demands, enough gets to the board for the pcie slots allowing the 24pin to stay cooler on its 12v pins because the amount of power that was being pumped though there has been greatly reduced, basically lessening the load on your 24pin. Pretty simple concept really. But your right a poor connection can cause this too.
We can talk about the cause as much as you like but shamino already stated the reason on his post on xtremesystems, like the beefing up of the pcie lanes, but the last thing to complete the board would had been the molex cable put on. That is why the Classified 3 has one to keep this kind of thing from happening.

I understand what your saying and is a passable cause.  but then the issue becomes is it only specific samples of gpus pulling more power because there are many including myself taht have used many high end gpus without issue.

That would also explain the inconsisten nature of the issue.   I just really dont think its really a motherboard issue in this case....   I mean recent motherboards have the connector to added because of the higher draw...

but i think that this issue was unavoidable as I have read shaminos post and have even spoken to him about motherboard design and teh like,  and the only reason the beefier traces were added was because they wanted to use risers to run 4 high power cards,   which he even references in his thread you linked that "QUADFIRE" was the issue which was when they used risers to allow 4x4890's......   the board obviously was not designed to do taht but he still came up with a way to do it for the people crazy enough to do it

and all in all if there was 480's at the time of board design im sure a molex would have been there....   i think its just one of those things where there is no way anyone could have seen this kind of load coming, and therefore couldnt plan for it which is why motherboards all of the sudden are popping up with this addition.

yes,  it sucks that this can happen for sure,  but I have a couple of these boards as I said previously and they run perfect,  and i think that most will be....     probably will be very few that will ever see a melted 24pin
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 9022
  • Ribbons : 73
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 22:57:30 (permalink)
Yes at the time of its construction the ATI cards where the power hungry cards at that time where nvidia was under that power consumption, now it seems the GTX 480's are the power mongers.
The beefied up PCIE lanes like he said in his post was to prevent them from burning up on the board with high power consumption gpus. He even states that was not enough so he gave a solution for the ati users a molex mod to keep the 24 pin from burning up, and to supply the power the high power consumption gpus needed. 
The molex added on the board would had been the last and final peace to the puzzel to make the board offcially safe/finished.  If the molex plug is not really needed then there would had been no reason for the extra cost of putting it on the Classified 3 to keep it from happening. Adding that molex from the start would had made it avoidable. The ATI cards should had been the red flag to be honest to spend the extra 5-50 cents to have it installed on the board.
It all just depends on your setup and what you have plugged into the board if you will see it happen or not tbh.  The ATI 48XX cards were released before the classified if I remember right. That is why most have an issue it was an issue that could had been stopped in its tracks then. now not only is it ati cards but its nvidia too that it can possibly happen to.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
14900k, z790 Apex Encore, EK Nucleus Direct Die, T-Force EXTREEM 8000mhz cl38 2x24 Stable"24hr Karhu" XMP, Rog Strix OC RTX 4090, Rog Hyperion GR701 Case, Rog Thor II 1200w, Rog Centra True Wireless Speednova, 35" Rog Swift PG35VQ + Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", EK Link FPT 140mm D-RGB Fans. Rog Claymore II, Rog Harpe Ace Aimlabs Edition, Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One Controller, WD Black SN850x/Samsung 980+990 PRO/Samsung 980. Honeywell PTM7950 pad on CPU+GPU

donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 23:05:16 (permalink)
It sucks yeah=/ but what can we do... we where not calling the shots on when the board was made, its like the options I gave in my wall of txt first post. Info is out there and people have the options now to take action, be it the molex mod, running it until it dies and pray nothing happens and they get a classy 3, or just replacing the board. Those are pretty much the only viable options at this point.
Me if I would had known and saw that post on xtremesystems I would had done the molex mod, just so i could keep my nf200 chip, since I play games in 3d vision when I do play that 2 fps could be the difference in some games of smooth fps or some chopyness now I can do an oc and find out what i need to overclock to to fix that little gap of fps since I have a classified 3. Need to pick up a different psu this silverstone 1200w blows... fully modular is nice... but it being able to supply enough power even with just one card right now is the pita... just shipped out my antec 1200w today for rma... thinking I should had gotten a corsair 1200ax or the pc power and cooling 1200w.
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/12 23:10:10

Heatware   

My Build
14900k, z790 Apex Encore, EK Nucleus Direct Die, T-Force EXTREEM 8000mhz cl38 2x24 Stable"24hr Karhu" XMP, Rog Strix OC RTX 4090, Rog Hyperion GR701 Case, Rog Thor II 1200w, Rog Centra True Wireless Speednova, 35" Rog Swift PG35VQ + Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", EK Link FPT 140mm D-RGB Fans. Rog Claymore II, Rog Harpe Ace Aimlabs Edition, Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One Controller, WD Black SN850x/Samsung 980+990 PRO/Samsung 980. Honeywell PTM7950 pad on CPU+GPU

overclockerguru
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 23:15:53 (permalink)
donta1979

It sucks yeah=/ but what can we do... we where not calling the shots on when the board was made, its like the options I gave in my wall of txt first post. Info is out there and people have the options now to take action, be it the molex mod, running it until it dies and pray nothing happens and they get a classy 3, or just replacing the board. Those are pretty much the only viable options at this point.

Dont get me wrong I agree with you for teh most part,   but I think taht it needs to be stated that most of these boards will likely never have an issue.   It just happens to be hitting taht specific point taht will cause an issue.

I mean when you look at it, most boards when X58 released did not have any supplemental GPU power,  and a few revisions in they started to get them..

I think it sucks that you had a failure,   and as I stated before I have had boards flameout and kill CPU;s and cards, and SSD's and you name it...

Are you familiar with the asus REX series and the fujitsu Chrome rectangle capacitor on the read of the cpu socket?   ive had a few of those boards bulge that cap and at the same time kill some good 965's and 975's when doing that....

soemtimes stuff just goes man...   i hate to say it but I didnt call and tell asus theyre the worst company ever,  I got it rma'd and moved on,  as i know stuff fails.  i understand after reading your post that you had soem stuff taht is harder to replace, and taht really sucks, and i definitely feel for you on taht one,   but just like anything when you get something rare or hard to come by.... theres a chance it can break or be broken. 

I really hope if you choose asus taht you have better luck then my rma's lol....   alot of them were problematic,   whether it was recieving a replacement worse than the one I sent in or they would just not even call me back at all. (happened too many times to tell you)   but all in all man i dunno what to say i think ive stated how I feel about the situation and what I feel could caused it.
donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 23:24:19 (permalink)
Actually I returned the ASUS Rampage III formula, great overclocking board, but I didnt like the fact when overclocking like with the non premium boards ram dissapeared. And you had to trick turbo into running.

Yes sometimes things do just go but when you have a post pointing to the issue that it could happen and it could had been fixed by one of the head guys who helped make the board offering a mod solution to make sure that the 24pin pin burn was no longer an issue. Along with others running into the same issue.  
Plus a psu company telling you yes we are familiar with the issue, and to change out the board because no matter how many psu's  they send you it will keep happening. Puts up the red light for me and to question what is going on.
Then a refresh of the Classified board with the molex its just a matter of putting 1 and 1 together to say damn, if I only knew I could had kept this from happening.
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/12 23:26:22

Heatware   

My Build

overclockerguru
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 23:27:38 (permalink)
donta1979

Actually I returned the ASUS Rampage III formula, great overclocking board, but I didnt like the fact when overclocking like with the non premium boards ram dissapeared. And you had to trick turbo into running.

Yes sometimes things do just go but when you have a post pointing to the issue that it could happen and it could had been fixed by one of the head guys who helped make offering a solution to make sure that the 24pin pin burn was no longer an issue. Along with others running into the same issue.  
Plus a psu company telling you yes we are familiar with the issue, and to change out the board because no matter how many they send you it will keep happening. Puts up the red light for me and to question what is going on.
Then a refresh of the Classified board with the molex its just a matter of putting 1 and 1 together to say damn, if I only knew I could had kept this from happening.

I can understand taht man,  but i gotta question if a psu company tells you soemthing with such certainty,   doesnt taht make you question such a claim?   taht seems kinda odd to me....    I mean ive dealt with alot of companies and can tell you that just flat out saying a product is bad usually is not what a major company will do and really makes me wonder what they may be trying to hide by making such a bold statement?  I mean hate to sound like a conspiracy here,   but tahts odd man
donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/12 23:30:56 (permalink)
Yes its odd but shaminos post on xtremesystems only backs up the claim. As well as me going though 3x psu's all different vendors.
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/12 23:33:53

Heatware   

My Build

HRPuffnstuff
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1324
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 02:23:50 (permalink)
So I'm here in the evga mb section and I keep seeing the name asus popping up.  Why is another manufacturer being actively discussed in the evga mb forum?  I still own asus mb's however I don't come here to talk about them.  From what I've seen so far it seems like its time the lock this thread down.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, FSP Hydro PTH Pro 1350W PS, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

KMoore4318
Pistoj Doulos Unum Pluribus
  • Total Posts : 13863
  • Ribbons : 238
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 02:35:08 (permalink)
HRPuffnstuff

So I'm here in the evga mb section and I keep seeing the name asus popping up.  Why is another manufacturer being actively discussed in the evga mb forum?  I still own asus mb's however I don't come here to talk about them.  From what I've seen so far it seems like its time the lock this thread down.

I do not know if I would blame the thred, for the posts of one or two equipment pimps, ( nothing personal, we all have opinions, so don't take that statment wrong ) the thred is still valid, although it gets off topic at times, many following this thread are still waiting on answers, However, the situation, has been suffecently documented, Perhaps locking it, and then re oppening it when a response is ready would be an option.

post edited by KMoore4318 - 2010/10/13 02:43:16

Just clink Link to Register >  My Affiliate Code:VTJPDC4OMB 
1)965 V-8  E761(77)
2)980X AX1200 E760(77) 980 ti
3) E770 (77)2(590) SLI AX1200 
4) X299 FTW K, 9980XE 2 2080 supers on AX1200
YerBuddy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4000
  • Ribbons : 59
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 02:53:15 (permalink)
HRPuffnstuff

All that does is make EVGA look even more culpable.  I'm not condoning the "pimping" nor bickering, but I'd rather weed out the bad to get to the final good.
SiriusDragon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 03:28:59 (permalink)
 I rarely ever change or unplug the 24 pin connector to my mobo/psu, and nowadays I use a dual PSU adapter as well, as a result I think the 'lose connector' theory has some substance. I wonder if there's a better way to pass power to a mobo with a more solid connection?

OTish stuff to follow:

HRPuffnstuff

The board being 'pimped' as a replacement for the 4-way amazingly enough lacks the extra 8 pin CPU connector needed for high end 980x overclocking, and also lacks a supplemental gpu power connector, except in the newer revisions. Hardly a good replacement considering the 4-way had the molex from the start.

The alternative being 'pimped' for 3-way with NF200 also lacks the extra 8 pin and the molex power connector. So it's no better than an E759/E760...

Those same boards also lack any vantage 'cred' if that matters... afaik neither have hit any records in vantage while the EVGA equivalents have done so numerous times. They also lack PCI-E enable/disable jumpers and other useful overclocking intended functionality.

It's funny because the ASUS boards lacked the molex connector too, but as soon as someone at EVGA (shamino) finds a problem and the solution, it magically appears on revised ASUS boards. Yet for some reason... people don't mind that it took ASUS that long, and that they didn't send replacements like they demand EVGA should do, they only seem to like pointing out how everyone with an EVGA board is doomed to die in a house fire

Bit of a strange agenda, isn't it?

i7 4930k - 32gb 1866 DDR3 - ASRock X79 Extreme 11 - 2 x GTX 780 3GB - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Xigmatek Elysium case - 3 x 1920x1200 monitors - 1 x 1080p 50" 3D Plasma
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 20362
  • Ribbons : 72
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 05:53:05 (permalink)
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems in my observation that people having this issue are using a multi rail psu. Is it possible the multi rail psu isn't supplying the needed power for a high power triple video card setup and the power compensation is being done through the 24-pin connector?

I find it strikingly odd that an Antec rep would post in this thread as Antec has been a very strong proponent of the multi rail psu design.

May big a bigger picture to why Corsair went single rail with their latest AX1200 psu.
SiriusDragon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 06:33:11 (permalink)
FWIW, I've been using a HX1000 and have had no issues. I also believe EVGA_JacobF was also using a HX1000 at some point - not sure if he uses it for his current setup but if so then that's pretty interesting...

Technically the HX1000 is a 'true' dual rail/dual transformer design, but the rails are so big it doesn't really matter as much.

Kinda restricts the PSUs that can be used however. I know a lot of the popular PSUs are multi-rail designs, eg. TPQ-1200, ST1500, Revo 1250... So that mainly leaves Corsair as the only high power single rail PSU, as the OCZ PCP&C PSUs are a bit iffy compared to how they used to be (and aren't as easily available it seems).

Edit: OK, scratch the 'HX1000 is ok' theory as donta was using one at some point
post edited by SiriusDragon - 2010/10/13 06:36:03

i7 4930k - 32gb 1866 DDR3 - ASRock X79 Extreme 11 - 2 x GTX 780 3GB - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Xigmatek Elysium case - 3 x 1920x1200 monitors - 1 x 1080p 50" 3D Plasma
sgtharry
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2411
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 06:34:52 (permalink)
Well, I am using a single rail 1200 watt, with 3, 480's, and a 980X.My 24 pin isn't hot at all. Not saying it never will, but you can add this to your "database".

My Affiliate Code: JQ2TUWM6Y9 

+1 my Rig if you like it

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 84227
  • Ribbons : 85
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 07:35:38 (permalink)
We have been reviewing this thread. I have been reviewing today. I'd like to say that I am proud of several forum members who are keeping their posts on subject.

There is no room on the forum for poor behavior. Respect each other's opinions. Please post wisely with respect towards other members even if you disagree with their post(s).

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

sengutso
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1259
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 08:07:16 (permalink)
My E760 Burnt Two of my PSU's BFG EX 1200 and Corsair AX 1200.  U really need that Molex connector for gpus on ur mobo to support AMPs especially the power hungry gtx 480's! it always burnt 2 of the 24 pins on the atx connector.  now i have the e759 gawd i hope it dont burn it nemore!

CPU: Intel i7 980 @ 4.60 Gzh 
Mobo: Msi Big Bang Xpower
Ram: 12 GB Patriot Viper 2000  MZH 10-11-10-28-1T
Hard Drive: 2x Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200.12 in Raid 0
GPU: 3x EVGA GTX 580 in Tri-SLi
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 wit 240MM Rad Push/Pull Water Loop
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 80 Plus Gold Certified 
3Dmark 11: 17187 
We Are Intel! Pom! Pom! Pom! Pom! Sponsors Of Tomorow.

remenaker
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 08:42:47 (permalink)
It also could be bad pin's in the 24 pin plug.
has my brother would say trust your vender.
the only pin ends getting hot are the power supply side.
antec_jessie
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 10:48:26 (permalink)
I find it strikingly odd that an Antec rep would post in this thread as Antec has been a very strong proponent of the multi rail psu design.

My posting here has nothing to do with the design of our power supplies. My presence here is to simply provide assistance where possible and to gather information that might help us help you (insert Jerry Maguire here). 

Official Antec Rep.

recon 7185
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 15:45:36 (permalink)
antec_jessie

My posting here has nothing to do with the design of our power supplies. My presence here is to simply provide assistance where possible and to gather information that might help us help you (insert Jerry Maguire here). 

I do have a question concerning the antec TPQ 1200. My northbridge on the x58 LE shorted out and the tpq 1200 kept going and did no shut itself off. Donta said that his other 2 PSU's died and the TPQ 1200 kept going and thats when I assume the pins melted. Is there not a specific safety feature on the TPQ that would protect hardware? Every other case where I have had a short or something out of the ordinary my PSU would shut off. Not bashing at all, in fact I love antec's stuff, just want to check before I get a new SLI approved PSU prefferably from antec

i7 930 @ 4.2ghz
EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED E770
EVGA 970 GTX SC
6 gigs Corsair Dominator 1600
Thermalright Venomous X
Intel 730 series SSD 240gb
OCZ Vertex 2 160gb SSD
Antec HCP 1200w psu
Antec 1200
Logitec G110 and G9x
Windows 7 64-bit
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 1920x1080
dejanh
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1045
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 15:46:46 (permalink)

recon 7185
antec_jessie

I do have a question concerning the antec TPQ 1200. My northbridge on the x58 LE shorted out and the tpq 1200 kept going and did no shut itself off. Donta said that his other 2 PSU's died and the TPQ 1200 kept going and thats when I assume the pins melted. Is there not a specific safety feature on the TPQ that would protect hardware? Every other case where I have had a short or something out of the ordinary my PSU would shut off. Not bashing at all, in fact I love antec's stuff, just want to check before I get a new SLI approved PSU prefferably from antec

From what you are describing your board shorted out, not your PSU.  In that case PSU may or may not keep running depending on how bad the damage to your board is actually.  donta1979 case, my case, and others, had no issue with the board shorting out first.  It was the PSU that melted then took other stuff with it.  This aside, and not to be rude or anything, but questions unrelated to the problem at hand here should probably be put in its own thread.
post edited by rcranfield - 2010/10/13 16:13:20
antec_jessie
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 17:12:03 (permalink)
recon 7185

antec_jessie

It's hard for us to speculate about what happened without having the damaged product to do a failure analysis. I will say this -  the TPQ-1200 does have four different control circuits to prevent damage to your hardware. You can find more info about the TPQ-1200 protections here: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTc1Nw==

Official Antec Rep.

pkpjoker
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 17:32:29 (permalink)
Hi, I have been wondering about a couple of things and apologize if it has been covered before. If I choose to do the molex mod, does it void the warranty? Also, does it matter where the voltage is added to the 24 pin connector? It seems to me that the molex mod is just putting the extra voltage on the back side of the pins of the 24 pin. Could you put it on the front side? Could you use a sub-harness between the psu 24 pin and motherboard connector with the molex attached to it. This would eliminate the need for modification of the motherboard

donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 17:40:10 (permalink)
pkpjoker

Hi, I have been wondering about a couple of things and apologize if it has been covered before. If I choose to do the molex mod, does it void the warranty? Also, does it matter where the voltage is added to the 24 pin connector? It seems to me that the molex mod is just putting the extra voltage on the back side of the pins of the 24 pin. Could you put it on the front side? Could you use a sub-harness between the psu 24 pin and motherboard connector with the molex attached to it. This would eliminate the need for modification of the motherboard

you do not want it on the 24 pin on top that will add still extra stress on the 2x 12v pins more power being put there, plus those pins with the extra wires might not mount how they are supposed to also causing a possible meltdown of the 24pin due to a bad connection., it needs to be on the bottom or in the case of the classified 3 put someplace else. Additing it if you do it right and can solder well add some hot glue you will not void your warranty as long as you can return the board to its original state before sending it in.

Heatware   

My Build

donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 17:53:26 (permalink)
antec_jessie
It's hard for us to speculate about what happened without having the damaged product to do a failure analysis. I will say this -  the TPQ-1200 does have four different control circuits to prevent damage to your hardware. You can find more info about the TPQ-1200 protections here: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTc1Nw==

Well my psu is on the way you should get it in about 2 days via usps priority mail hopefully that will help you guys out.

Heatware   

My Build

pkpjoker
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 17:54:07 (permalink)
donta1979

pkpjoker

you do not want it on the 24 pin on top that will add still extra stress on the 2x 12v pins more power being put there, plus those pins with the extra wires might not mount how they are supposed to also causing a possible meltdown of the 24pin due to a bad connection., it needs to be on the bottom or in the case of the classified 3 put someplace else. Additing it if you do it right and can solder well add some hot glue you will not void your warranty as long as you can return the board to its original state before sending it in.

I thought that the heat build-up in a circuit is caused by excessive current draw. Shouldn't adding the extra voltage at either point satisfy the power demand and lower the current draw?

donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 18:00:49 (permalink)
pkpjoker

donta1979

pkpjoker

I thought that the heat build-up in a circuit is caused by excessive current draw. Shouldn't adding the extra voltage at either point satisfy the power demand and lower the current draw?

the bottom yes, but your putting too much voltage in the same spot if you add say the molex to the 24 pin you are going to give it enough power but you still have to deal with the resistance of the pins.  If what you where talking about just adding a molex on the 24 pin of the psu your still limited to the resistance of the 12v pins on the 24 pin that where not designed to pump that much power into the mobo, thus the molex mod is on the backside of the board not only does it supply more power to the pcie lanes, but it reduces the amount of power on the 12pin that the 12v's have to deliver to the board. Really simple concept actually.

Heatware   

My Build

Trilogy3337
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 444
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 18:02:37 (permalink)
Not if you add the voltage on the backside of the weakspot. The weakest link in the circuit is the 24pin connection itself, hence why you add the molex to the board directly and thus bypass the 24pin connector.

On a side note, I wonder if this is even a possibility to those that are in dual PSU setup's. 

EVGA X79 Dark
Intel 4820K on HK3.0
16GB worth of Vengeance
EVGA 1300G2
EVGA 660TI
EVGA 660TI
EVGA660SC
SSD's Galore

Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72898
dejanh
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1045
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/13 18:04:17 (permalink)
donta1979

antec_jessie

Well my psu is on the way you should get it in about 2 days via usps priority mail hopefully that will help you guys out.

Mine is on the way as well to Memofix in Ontario.  I believe that they will send it to you after, at least that was what I was told.  I do encourage you guys to analyze it and see if there was a fault with the physical PSU.
pkpjoker
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 18:07:17 (permalink)
donta1979

pkpjoker

donta1979

pkpjoker

the bottom yes, but your putting too much voltage in the same spot if you add say the molex to the 24 pin you are going to give it enough power but you still have to deal with the resistance of the pins.  If what you where talking about just adding a molex on the 24 pin of the psu your still limited to the resistance of the 12v pins on the 24 pin that where not designed to pump that much power into the mobo, thus the molex mod is on the backside of the board not only does it supply more power to the pcie lanes, but it reduces the amount of power on the 12pin that the 12v's have to deliver to the board. Really simple concept actually.

Thanks for explaining that to me I might just go ahead and solder on the connector then, better safe than sorry. but no matter where you put the extra 12v connector, your not really adding voltage, 12v is 12v. if anything you are decreasing resistance 

post edited by pkpjoker - 2010/10/13 18:13:40

firerx
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1083
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:EVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's 2010/10/13 18:08:16 (permalink)
All I gotta say is Wow. Hopefully , EVGA will have a solution to this issue soon, or a procedure. I don't think a end user mod on the board is sufficient for warranty consideration issues, and shouldn't be. I'm not comfortable wiring my $450 motherboard when it comes to soldering additional components. We'll see what happens.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme  
Intel Core i9 10900X 
Corsair Platinums 3000mhz 32gb 
 RTX 3090 FE 
TT 1200w PSU
Samsung 950 Pro M2 SSD 1tb
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1tb
Samsumg 840 Pro SSD, Seagate 1TB drive   
LG 34" Curved Monitor 3440 X 1440       

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 25
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile