EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 29
Author
Swash87
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/21 04:41:56 (permalink)
lrighty so finally split my card tonight. My Bykski Block arrived today so it was time.

I havn't fitted the block, i just wanted to split the card, clean it up and put it back together and run it hard for a few days (while i prep the rest of the build).

Now my Method of splitting the card was this and i feel there is absolutely zero was any "death" of the card can be contributed to PCB bend or anything like that.

1: I removed the backplate and sat it aside, leaving only the GPU Leaf spring and rear IO inplace holding the thing together.
2: Reinstalled the card and ran it under a heavy benchmark at full power, with a Ethereum miner running hard on the memory whilst also forcibly setting the fans to 50-60% while keeping an eye on temps to hold the memory around 98-100 Degree's and the core around 80 Degree's.

This had an effect of heating the card and heatsoaking the crap out of the heatsink (to retain heat during splitting). I did this for a few minutes, around 55% held those temps pretty stable
3: For the final 30 seconds or so i actually disabled the fans and let the heat spike then immediately shut down the system.
4: Removed the card and sat it on an anti-static surface. At this point the Heatsink was heatsoaked bad and was burning hot to the touch (being an auto sparky/mechanic by trade im used to touching hot things but yeah, this was damn hot).
5: Removed the Rear IO and the GPU leaf spring (doing this by releasing tension on each screw in a criss-cross pattern half a turn at a time so the heatsink evenly released pressure off the GPU die)
6: Pulled all cables/fan plugs/etc
7: Split the card by sitting the card flat on the work surface and just barely twisting the HSF in a clockwise/counter clockwise motion, but only slightly/enough to break contact but not hit any components on the board (not up and down, or side to side pulling away from the card, but a twisting motion still in contact with the card). Once it was easy to "twist", i just lifted the HSF straight off, zero card bend or anything.

The thermal putty was actually more like a sticky liquid goo from all the pre-heating, i feel it would have just slid straight off without "twisting".

From there, i "piled" up the putty to reuse it (i wasn't ready to clean it off just yet and replace with pads, though majority of it ended up on the bottom of the HSF rather than the VRM's so it was quite simple to reshape), cleaned all the dust off, cleaned out the fans, reseated all the thermal pads, repasted the GPU and put it all back together. (again, placing the HSF on to the card, then flipping it and screwing the lot together in the reverse of how it was taken apart).

Card is currently running under the same bench conditions as it was pre-disassembly without missing a beat. I'll let it run for a few days (might mine it too just to keep the load on).

Then its time to block it and fingers crossed, everything goes well! 

Heres a couple pics of my board right after i split it. You can see pretty much all the Pads just popped off and the putty is visibly "gooey"

Theres a couple close-ups of the BykSki block, incase anyone wants to compare it to the EK blocks when it comes to stand off size/positioning/etc. Btw i actually really like the simplicity of the Bykski block, it feels solid and heavy, pretty good machining all round and ive seen pictures, looks like they light up really well with the inbuild ARGB strip (lighting the blank acrylic up nicely too). Keen to see how it goes! At about $150 AUD cheaper than the EK & Backplate, its a steal if it performs well enough

post edited by Swash87 - 2021/07/21 04:58:19
cos702003
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/21 08:07:49 (permalink)
I know this is an old ticket, but I just installed my block on a 3090 FTW and had a similar, but more successful outcome, than others here.
The card (on air), posted without any issues, except to reboot the machine after first boot up to recognize the card).
I then swapped out to the EKWB Quantum vector board for 3080/3090, replacing the ram thermal pads with identical thickness variants from Grizzly. Upon booting the board, My bios stalled and restarted the machine 3 or 4 times before the card would output a video signal.
Eventually, it posted and got stuck on "AE" bios code, then later the "b2" code others here reported seeing.
My system started to hang, to the point where the mb would not even post, or if it did manage to post, would hang during windows boot up. It was so bad that the bios screen was loading chunk by 8-bit chunk to display the page in entirety, and took almosta full minute to do so.
My issue turned out to be the Riser card I installed at the same time. The card (By Fractal for the definer7) is PCI-E 3.0, while my mb and gpu are 4.0 compliant. After switching the PCI-E gpu slot to 3.0 native, from auto, all issues cleared right up and I got no more hangs trying to detect legacy drives, or on the "b2" code. Bios response time went back to normal and I have not had a single issue since.

I should note that the first time I managed to get the card to display video, it took a good 4 or 5 minutes of leaving it on running until the "ae" and "b2" codes cleared themselves. Have patience.
Hopefully this can save at least one card from an RMA. I know it saved mine.
jnayna
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/22 06:43:07 (permalink)
cos702003
I know this is an old ticket, but I just installed my block on a 3090 FTW and had a similar, but more successful outcome, than others here.
The card (on air), posted without any issues, except to reboot the machine after first boot up to recognize the card).
I then swapped out to the EKWB Quantum vector board for 3080/3090, replacing the ram thermal pads with identical thickness variants from Grizzly. Upon booting the board, My bios stalled and restarted the machine 3 or 4 times before the card would output a video signal.
Eventually, it posted and got stuck on "AE" bios code, then later the "b2" code others here reported seeing.
My system started to hang, to the point where the mb would not even post, or if it did manage to post, would hang during windows boot up. It was so bad that the bios screen was loading chunk by 8-bit chunk to display the page in entirety, and took almosta full minute to do so.
My issue turned out to be the Riser card I installed at the same time. The card (By Fractal for the definer7) is PCI-E 3.0, while my mb and gpu are 4.0 compliant. After switching the PCI-E gpu slot to 3.0 native, from auto, all issues cleared right up and I got no more hangs trying to detect legacy drives, or on the "b2" code. Bios response time went back to normal and I have not had a single issue since.

I should note that the first time I managed to get the card to display video, it took a good 4 or 5 minutes of leaving it on running until the "ae" and "b2" codes cleared themselves. Have patience.

If buying a 3090, I'd choose to purchase the Link-up PCI-E 4.0 riser rather than hamstring the card to 3.0. I have the Link-Up and have had no issues since receiving my RMA card (though on Optimus Block now).

But for people testing, confirm riser works while still on air. Air/Watercooled should not effect if riser will work or not.
GlaucomaPredator
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/22 09:06:11 (permalink)
jnayna
cos702003

If buying a 3090, I'd choose to purchase the Link-up PCI-E 4.0 riser rather than hamstring the card to 3.0. I have the Link-Up and have had no issues since receiving my RMA card (though on Optimus Block now).

But for people testing, confirm riser works while still on air. Air/Watercooled should not effect if riser will work or not.

100% on the Link-up risers, I have a PCIe gen 3 one and it operates at PCIe gen 4 speeds no problem. 
I got a Lian Li vertical mount and that riser cable was utter trash. 
It was limiting my OC on the card and was randomly crashing in Warzone. 
You want something shielded, especially for longer runs. 

On a side note it looks like Amazon Studios New World game is bricking FTW 3090s.
Going to check the game out and see if it bricks my 3090.
Have been running my RMAd 3090 on EK block for the last 3 months without issue. 
Been mining Ethereum in my off hours, it's been pushing it but I want to push it more.  

Swash87
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/24 00:16:44 (permalink)
Anyone tried using a good thermal putty over trying to get the thermal pad thickness correct? 
Something like this stuff (which seems to be recommended a lot)

Really pretty equal to buying decent pads (here in australia anyway), save a lot of mucking about trying to get the correct pad sizing for the Bykski block too (and could probably fill the 5-6mm gap on the chokes to stop coil whine/heat build up)
ten13th
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/24 12:05:11 (permalink)
I am expecting to receive my 3080 FTW3 Ultra next week.  Thanks for all the information on this thread, I'll hold off on installing a water block on it for a few months.  
cbattung1016
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/26 07:34:28 (permalink)
I read through mostly half of this thread. Wondering when the updated standoffs were released? I bought a new waterblock from ek last May (25th). I measured the diameters of the specific standoffs and they where 5.6-5.9mm. The new standoffs are 4mm?
Ineedgfx
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/26 11:11:51 (permalink)
cbattung1016
I read through mostly half of this thread. Wondering when the updated standoffs were released? I bought a new waterblock from ek last May (25th). I measured the diameters of the specific standoffs and they where 5.6-5.9mm. The new standoffs are 4mm?

Around June it seems and the easiest way to know is the new standoffs are stepped in height vs the original ones are not.

Rig:
Asus Z690 Strix D4
Super Flower 1K Plat
EVGA 3080Ti
12700k(5.3Ghz)/2tb&1tb NVME/32GB 3600/14/14/14/14
cbattung1016
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/26 11:38:49 (permalink)
Ineedgfx
cbattung1016

Around June it seems and the easiest way to know is the new standoffs are stepped in height vs the original ones are not.

Looks like mines are not stepped. I emailed EK and requested the standoffs. 

Are there any success stories with using the updated standoffs?
Ineedgfx
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/26 11:43:42 (permalink)
cbattung1016
I read through mostly half of this thread.

cbattung1016
 Are there any success stories with using the updated standoffs?

How about you read the WHOLE thread and all your questions will be answered...

Rig:
Asus Z690 Strix D4
Super Flower 1K Plat
EVGA 3080Ti
GlaucomaPredator
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/26 22:32:23 (permalink)
Looks like the FTW cards bricking is the fan controller frying.
Igor's lab published this subsequent article about their New World findings about the FTW 3090 paper weight.
Excessive heat apparently fries some fan controllers.

https://www.igorslab.de/e...se-of-design-failures/

Find fault in your card as soon as to can and RMA.
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 07:25:41 (permalink)
Hey guys I've got a brand new EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 arriving today along with an EK waterblock and backplate.
I just stumbled upon this thread and so far have only read the first 30 pages.
Since I plan on installing my new waterblock on the GPU today I was hoping you could brief me on the current issue as I have not yet had time to read the last 40 pages of this thread (although I will).

What is the deal with the standoffs? I just briefly saw it mentioned on the Last 2 pages. Are you referring to the standoffs on the EK waterblock? Please elaborate, and should I be concerned or is there anything I should know before going forward with the install of my 3080FTW3 and EK waterblock?

Btw has EVGA or EK found what the problem is or has either one made an official statement, other than blaming the other party or the customer? Thanks!!!

Asus Maximus XIII Hero, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA w/ EK QUANTUM VECTOR Nickel WB, EVGA superNOVA 1300 G2, Intel I9-11900K, EK Velocity, Aquacomputer D5 PWM Pump, G Skill TridentZ RGB 3600 32gb, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb, 970 Evo Plus 1tb, 960 Pro 512gb, 850 Pro 512gb, 860 Evo 1tb 850 Evo 1tb, Wooting One, Razer Viper, Sennheiser G4me Zero, Asus PG279Q, EK D-RGB LED Strips

cryptomasters
  • Total Posts : 100
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 07:39:08 (permalink)
Think it easier to have the computer shop install it.
cbattung1016
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 15:20:11 (permalink)
sdmf74
Hey guys I've got a brand new EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 arriving today along with an EK waterblock and backplate.
Since I plan on installing my new waterblock on the GPU today I was hoping you could brief me on the current issue as I have not yet had time to read the last 40 pages of this thread (although I will).

What is the deal with the standoffs? I just briefly saw it mentioned on the Last 2 pages. Are you referring to the standoffs on the EK waterblock? Please elaborate, and should I be concerned or is there anything I should know before going forward with the install of my 3080FTW3 and EK waterblock?

Btw has EVGA or EK found what the problem is or has either one made an official statement, other than blaming the other party or the customer? Thanks!!!

Three standoffs on the water black are too big (diameter 5-6mm) that are potentially making contact with the electronics on the pcb. EK sent out 3 replacement standoffs (4.5mm) that fixed the issue. I have spoken c EVGA since the RMAd my 3090 after it got bricked by the block. Rep informed me that they are aware of the issue and will continue to RMA the affected GPUs as long as there are no physical damage (including water damage). No official statement released from either companies. Seems like EVGA is doing there part in regards to warranty. While EK sent out a fix which is somewhat telling that they know the issue with the block but not really putting a statement out. BTW, I just got my 3090 FTW3 RMA replacement in the mail today. Initially messaged EVGA on Saturday. Then got a response/acknowledgement of the issue on Sunday. Monday, it was approved to be sent back for RMA. Tuesday arrived at EVGA. Wednesday, received by EVGA in their system and RMA approved, then shipped out. 

Pretty quick process and pretty much hassle free. I had more questions than they did to me. Just gonna say that I will be a long-time customer just based on this experience. 

You could check with EK if your block came in with the updated standoffs. I believe blocks from June-present have them. I got mines early-mid May. 
cbattung1016
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 17:53:44 (permalink)
Just got my 3090 ftw3 from EVGA today. The two holes (the ones closer to each other) where the two (out of three) new standoffs are suppose to go, does not have anything screwed on there. I’m thinking about removing those standoffs and just be done with it. The 3rd one (farthest one towards the fan pins/sockets) does have a screw through it. 

https://imgur.com/a/wa1d1Io
post edited by cbattung1016 - 2021/07/29 17:59:52
ZzEzZ
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 18:19:42 (permalink)
I laid it on with a tiny spackle brush. Seemed to work well.
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 21:05:35 (permalink)
cbattung1016
sdmf74

What is the deal with the standoffs? I just briefly saw it mentioned on the Last 2 pages. Are you referring to the standoffs on the EK waterblock? Please elaborate, and shou weld I be concerned or is there anything I should know before going forward with the install of my 3080FTW3 and EK waterblock?

Three standoffs on the water black are too big (diameter 5-6mm) that are potentially making contact with the electronics on the pcb. EK sent out 3 replacement standoffs (4.5mm) that fixed the issue. I have spoken c EVGA since the RMAd my 3090 after it got bricked by the block. Rep informed me that they are aware of the issue and will continue to RMA the affected GPUs as long as there are no physical damage (including water damage). No official statement released from either companies. Seems like EVGA is doing there part in regards to warranty. While EK sent out a fix which is somewhat telling that they know the issue with the block but not really putting a statement out. BTW, I just got my 3090 FTW3 RMA replacement in the mail today. Initially messaged EVGA on Saturday. Then got a response/acknowledgement of the issue on Sunday. Monday, it was approved to be sent back for RMA. Úú up arrived at EVGA. Wednesday, received by EVGA in their system and RMA approved, then shipped out. 

Pretty quick process and pretty much hassle free. I had more questions than they did to me. Just gonna say that I will be a long-time customer just based on this experience. 

You could check with EK if your block came in with the updated standoffs. I believe blocks from June-present have them. I got mines early-mid May. 

Thanks for the reply! I just ordered my EK block from Performance PCs like 3 days ago.
Has anyone posted a pic in this thread showing which standoffs have been changed from 5-6mm to 4.5mm?
If not can someone take a pic of the affected standoffs if you have one of these waterblocks laying around please?
I have a digital caliper and I should be able to measure too see if I have a new or old waterblock.

Also since this is such a serious issue don't you think EK would have recalled all the defective waterblocks from retail stores and replaced them with functional ones? Ie ones with smaller standoffs

Has anyone ordered an EK waterblock from PPCs recently and recieved a new one with the updated standoffs?
post edited by sdmf74 - 2021/07/30 04:42:59

Asus Maximus XIII Hero, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA w/ EK QUANTUM VECTOR Nickel WB, EVGA superNOVA 1300 G2, Intel I9-11900K, EK Velocity, Aquacomputer D5 PWM Pump, G Skill TridentZ RGB 3600 32gb, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb, 970 Evo Plus 1tb, 960 Pro 512gb, 850 Pro 512gb, 860 Evo 1tb 850 Evo 1tb, Wooting One, Razer Viper, Sennheiser G4me Zero, Asus PG279Q, EK D-RGB LED Strips

TrumpyAl
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 21:11:52 (permalink)
cbattung1016
Just got my 3090 ftw3 from EVGA today. The two holes (the ones closer to each other) where the two (out of three) new standoffs are suppose to go, does not have anything screwed on there. I’m thinking about removing those standoffs and just be done with it. The 3rd one (farthest one towards the fan pins/sockets) does have a screw through it. 

https://imgur.com/a/wa1d1Io

I decided that the holes were most likely provided in preparation for use with EVGA's own GPU blocks.
TrumpyAl
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/29 21:18:22 (permalink)
sdmf74
Has anyone posted a pic in this thread showing which standoffs have been changed from 5-6mm to 4.5mm???
If not can someone take a pic of the affected standoffs if you have one of these waterblocks laying around please?
I have a digital caliper and I should be able to measure too see if I have a new or old waterblock.

Also since this is such a serious issue don't you think EK would have recalled all the defective waterblocks from retail stores and replaced them with functional ones? Ie ones with smaller standoffs

Has anyone ordered an EK waterblock from PPCs recently and recieved a new one with the updated standoffs?

Post #640 has the best info, straight from EK.
Eksu99
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 01:51:51 (permalink)
I have been succesfully using my new 3080 FTW3 Ultra with EKWB Nickel block and nickel backplate for around a week now. I got the new standoffs too. My first card died two hours after water block installation in January but seems like either I got lucky or the standoffs did the trick or something. 
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 06:13:18 (permalink)
Ineedgfx
So my revised standoffs arrived yesterday so I figured I would notate the changes.

The original standoffs are .236"/6mm in diameter and the revised standoffs are .177"/4.5mm in diameter.

Thanks for providing the info but im slightly confused. I just opened my new waterblock from PPC's & measured the standoffs. First of all you guys mentioned "stepped" standoffs
and mine appear to be stepped with the bottom of the step being square & the top is round. Here are the measurements of the 3 lower standoffs on the waterblock:

Bottom Step Square - .215" / 5.47mm
Top Step Round - .178" / 4.52mm

And that is the issue, What part of the step are guys measuring when you say that the new standoffs are 4.5mm??? It doesnt seem to make much sense measuring the top of the step cause the widest part
of the standoff (the bottom) is what is gonna interfere or damage a part on the pcb. My measurements are both close to the size of the old standoffs & almost identical size of the new standoffs
depending on which part of the step you measure lol.

EDIT: Here we are 7 months from the start of this debacle and STILL no "Official" statement from EK stating which lot-S/N: are affected & instructions on which & how many standoffs we need to replace
so we dont destroy a $1k or $2k piece of hardware that is in VERY VERY short supply (I F5 refreshed night and day since October 4th 2020 & just finally got 1 notify for purchase!!!) ? What is going on here! Whoever
the rep is is NOT doing his job, this is something that should not be swept under the rug, Did covid just 100% kill professionalism in society? (probably its most dangerous attribute).
post edited by sdmf74 - 2021/07/30 06:39:40

Swash87
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 07:59:21 (permalink)
Well i just finished fitting up my Bykski block. Looks great, little fiddly to go on but was $150 cheaper than the EK and works great.

Holds 48 Degrees on a 400-410w load (450w bios max slider and voltage) at +130 core +1600 mem overclock, holding a fairly consistent 2100mhz.

And this block didn't actually mount anything into those holes that EK "are but arn't" having issues with (it did have a post, but it doesn't seem to contact the board and the install guides everywhere done actually mention screwing it in so, unused here).

I posted couple pages back how i pulled mine apart, ran for a week without dying, slapped the block on, been running hard under crypto since :) Glad i didn't waste my time with EK (check off another card generation of not using EK blocks)

(Mostly done, just need to print me up some new cable comb's and some hose spacers to clean it all up :) Jeeze i forgot how easy softtube was to work with lol)
post edited by Swash87 - 2021/07/30 08:00:40

Attached Image(s)

Ineedgfx
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 08:48:48 (permalink)
sdmf74
Thanks for providing the info but im slightly confused. I just opened my new waterblock from PPC's & measured the standoffs. First of all you guys mentioned "stepped" standoffs
and mine appear to be stepped with the bottom of the step being square & the top is round. Here are the measurements of the 3 lower standoffs on the waterblock:

And that is the issue, What part of the step are guys measuring when you say that the new standoffs are 4.5mm??? It doesnt seem to make much sense measuring the top of the step cause the widest part
of the standoff (the bottom) is what is gonna interfere or damage a part on the pcb. My measurements are both close to the size of the old standoffs & almost identical size of the new standoffs

Hi, the measured points are at the 'top' of the stand offs where the metal standoff itself comes in contact with the GFX PCB and that's the only dimension that matters in this discussion because being too big was presumably causing a short and the smaller or 'thinner' circle prevents the metal from touching something on the cards and causing a problem

Also since your standoffs have to different diameters you for sure have the updated stand offs because the original design were of a single dimension

See these posts to show the differences:
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3424064

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3424069

p.s. the base or bottom of my revised (shipped) standoffs were hexagonal vs your reporting of square
post edited by Ineedgfx - 2021/07/30 08:52:26

Rig:
Asus Z690 Strix D4
Super Flower 1K Plat
EVGA 3080Ti
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 09:21:25 (permalink)
Swash87
Well i just finished fitting up my Bykski block. Looks great, little fiddly to go on but was $150 cheaper than the EK and works great.

Holds 48 Degrees on a 400-410w load (450w bios max slider and voltage) at +130 core +1600 mem overclock, holding a fairly consistent 2100mhz.

And this block didn't actually mount anything into those holes that EK "are but arn't" having issues with (it did have a post, but it doesn't seem to contact the board and the install guides everywhere done actually mention screwing it in so, unused here).

I posted couple pages back how i pulled mine apart, ran for a week without dying, slapped the block on, been running hard under crypto since :) Glad i didn't waste my time with EK (check off another card generation of not using EK blocks)

(Mostly done, just need to print me up some new cable comb's and some hose spacers to clean it all up :) Jeeze i forgot how easy softtube was to work with lol)

Do you think it would be possible to 3d print a smaller end piece that houses the D-RGB led strip (the black plastic piece that reads VECTOR FTW3?) I mean, I dont have a 3d printer Im just wondering if you think it would be possible?
I was originally wondering if that piece could be flipped around up side down. It looks like that should be possible which might give me enough room for my reservoir since it is narrower on the side closer to the motherboard.
But I may just need to have a thin plastic strip just big enough to hold the D-RGB led strip printed, or remove it altogether but then I would have no RGB on the waterblock.

Ineedgfx
sdmf74

Hi, the measured points are at the 'top' of the stand offs where the metal standoff itself comes in contact with the GFX PCB and that's the only dimension that matters in this discussion because being too big was presumably causing a short and the smaller or 'thinner' circle prevents the metal from touching something on the cards and causing a problem

Also since your standoffs have to different diameters you for sure have the updated stand offs because the original design were of a single dimension

See these posts to show the differences:
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3424064

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3424069

p.s. the base or bottom of my revised (shipped) standoffs were hexagonal vs your reporting of square

Yeah you are right it is the top round part that matters. My bad. Thanks for the info! I meant Hex like a nut, not square lol.

Also it appears the waterblock I recieved has all 3 standoffs replaced. Whats the deal with EK telling some customers they only need to replace ONE (and providing a pic), telling others they need to replace only TWO (and providing a pic)
And now replacing all three standoffs wth do they have several people working there dealing with this issue & havent even communicated it correctly in house! This is ridiculous, I just hope this prevents ANY more dead gpus smh. 

I have to wonder is EK just guessing like "oh this component looks too close to this standoff" or did they actually determine that the old standoffs are too large and definately shorting out a component? A little transparency would be nice
post edited by sdmf74 - 2021/07/30 09:50:38

cbattung1016
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 14:06:38 (permalink)
Subzero30k
Hello i had a question i am about to remove the Stock cooler from my evga 3090 ftw3 Ultra and add the ek quantum vector waterblock

If the card dies is there Sure not a Problem whit RMA the card? And what must i say to evga then?

I was completely honest when I started my RMA process. Told them I installed the EKWB water block and the gpu won’t boot. RMA was ok’d and 4 days later, I receive my GPU in the mail. Rep also told me that if it happens again even with the samr block (with or without the updated standoffs), they will RMA it. They are aware of the issue and will honor the warranty.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 16:47:34 (permalink)
EVGA customer service is second to none.  They are covering issues that may not be their direct issue so that the user is able to get a RMA card.  How many other companies would do that?  If the failure rate of the EK blocked gpus goes down, then it would be fairly safe to say that the standoffs were contributing to the issue which is not EVGA's fault but yet they cover the damages made to it by the user's installation of the other companies water block.  I don't own the EK block, but it's great to see that EVGA is willing to go that far to help a customer.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
cbattung1016
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 23:32:49 (permalink)
Decided to take out the standoffs instead of replacing them with the modified/updated standoffs from EK. Works great! No issues!
post edited by cbattung1016 - 2021/07/30 23:34:57

Attached Image(s)

cbattung1016
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/30 23:35:51 (permalink)
Close up without the standoffs.

Attached Image(s)

bboystatic
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/31 08:45:10 (permalink)
Brick two 3090 from original standoffs. Decided to updated standoffs from EK. Going strong for two weeks!!!
post edited by bboystatic - 2021/07/31 08:47:33
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/07/31 21:40:15 (permalink)
Hey did you guys use some of the extra plastic washers when installing the PCIe bracket back to the card? I mean it doesnt show any washers in this diagram but then again their instructions have been suspect 

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile