EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 29
Author
jnayna
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/08 06:43:49 (permalink)
TrumpyAl
I got a response to my suggestion that EK support drop into this conversation.

EKWB Support (Ales) (EKWB Support)
Jun 7, 2021, 8:36 GMT+2
Dear Alan,
Sure, we were thinking of that too.
Best regards, Ales

As a company I hope they get on the same page before any potential representative joins this forum.
Getting differing responses depending on who you end up getting on the support end is why I didn't have confidence in trying again.

And get confirmation from EVGA that they agree the issue is only from heatsink removal if that is what they stick with rather than the standoffs.
post edited by jnayna - 2021/06/08 06:45:45
Mordgier
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/08 07:45:57 (permalink)
jnayna

And get confirmation from EVGA that they agree the issue is only from heatsink removal if that is what they stick with rather than the standoffs.

You're unlikely to hear EVGA state that the issue is that their cards die on disassembly.

You're also unlikely to hear EK state that they rolled out a block that has standoffs that are too large and sometimes fry cards.

EK has basically stated that it's not them and they are working with EVGA.
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/nk01xu/theyre_finally_here_ekwb_rog_strix_rtx_30803090/gzcyg4y/

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/nekttx/3090_ftw3_ekwb_install/gytedg8/?context=3

If the above statements from EK are taken as factual, it does bring up the question of why the smaller standoffs exist.

catsailor
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/08 20:15:55 (permalink)
I just want to share my install success story to hopefully put some at ease.  I received my 3080 FTW3 Ultra last week and finally got around to installing the EKWB Block and backplate tonight.  Reading though this thread I was a bit scared to do this but went for it.  I'm not new to water cooling and have had blocks on all my video cards going back too many years at this point.

I ran some stress tests and got the GPU up to temp then shut down the machine.  While everything was still hot I removed all the screws from the backplate and slowly started to evenly pry up the PCB from the heatsink.  The GPU area seems to stick the most but a tad bit of twisting while evenly prying on one side and it came loose with no flexing of the PCB.  After a bunch of cleaning I cut all the thermal pads to size and applied everything where needed.  I then went for the install of the block starting with the GPU screws followed by the rest working my way out.  I did not fully torque everything down on the first pass but slowly over a bit of time kept tightening things up.  This allowed the thermal pads to squeeze out a tad and did not warp the board in the process.  I did the same thing with the backplate working slow to tighten things up over time.  I did add some kapton tape to the back side of the 2 rows of thought soldered components and the power plugs since they did stick out a bit more then everything else.  This is more of an insurance policy but while peaking in with a flashlight I did not see them coming close to the plate.  One thing that is not in the EKWB instructions but I did anyway was remove the backlight module for the EVGA logo for the stock backplate.  When doing a dry fit I saw this getting in the way.  After plumbing everything up and doing a leak test I held my breath and hit the power switch....  Success!!  Temps are amazing any I now have a quiet gaming rig again. 

All I can say is take your time and double check everything.  Get a bright flashlight and peak along the edges to look for anything touching or not looking right.  If you start to tighten things up and it does not feel right stop, reset and start again. 
MeleeSparks
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/08 22:08:18 (permalink)
catsailor
I just want to share my install success story to hopefully put some at ease.  I received my 3080 FTW3 Ultra last week and finally got around to installing the EKWB Block and backplate tonight.  Reading though this thread I was a bit scared to do this but went for it.  I'm not new to water cooling and have had blocks on all my video cards going back too many years at this point.

I ran some stress tests and got the GPU up to temp then shut down the machine.  While everything was still hot I removed all the screws from the backplate and slowly started to evenly pry up the PCB from the heatsink.  The GPU area seems to stick the most but a tad bit of twisting while evenly prying on one side and it came loose with no flexing of the PCB.  After a bunch of cleaning I cut all the thermal pads to size and applied everything where needed.  I then went for the install of the block starting with the GPU screws followed by the rest working my way out.  I did not fully torque everything down on the first pass but slowly over a bit of time kept tightening things up.  This allowed the thermal pads to squeeze out a tad and did not warp the board in the process.  I did the same thing with the backplate working slow to tighten things up over time.  I did add some kapton tape to the back side of the 2 rows of thought soldered components and the power plugs since they did stick out a bit more then everything else.  This is more of an insurance policy but while peaking in with a flashlight I did not see them coming close to the plate.  One thing that is not in the EKWB instructions but I did anyway was remove the backlight module for the EVGA logo for the stock backplate.  When doing a dry fit I saw this getting in the way.  After plumbing everything up and doing a leak test I held my breath and hit the power switch....  Success!!  Temps are amazing any I now have a quiet gaming rig again. 

All I can say is take your time and double check everything.  Get a bright flashlight and peak along the edges to look for anything touching or not looking right.  If you start to tighten things up and it does not feel right stop, reset and start again. 

It's great you took the time to post this.  And congrats on the install.  However, to 80%+ of the people in this thread -- we're not new either.  I personally have watercooled since the GTS days, then 780ti's, 1080ti's, 2080's and now 3090's.

Outside of removing the backlight component on the backside of the PCB I did everything else.  I have two 3090's that were waterblocked and both were bricked.  No bending of the PCB, no over torque.  But guess what?  bricked 3090's.

alui07
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/09 01:00:36 (permalink)

xotic1209
i also did exactly as described in those videos to remove that remaining thermal putty. What i find interesting is EVGA didnt use a single washer .. any chance that he back of the GPU die needs those grounds around the mounting points ? They use metal washers on the pressure plate .. and that SOB is going to be impossible to put back on.

Bruh ****, wow that must suck
TrumpyAl
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/14 09:26:53 (permalink)
Maybe it’s just that I’m tired, but I’m gutted here. I get the RMA’d 3080, test it and find that it’s memory won’t take much of an over clock which is disappointing but it runs benchmarks ok so I proceed after running benchmarks to get it nice and warm. Fan speeds seem to jump to 100 very quickly but no worries, I’m putting it on water anyway.

Take a deep breath and the stock cooler comes away very easily. Nice. Feeling good about it! One glance at the old cooler and I can see that one memory pad was so far out of position that it was making contact with less than 5% of the VRAM. Well that explains that! I’m not impressed but lucky for them I am putting it on water anyway. Fit the EKWB GPU block and backplate and test it in my loop with soft tubing. Success!!! It boots no problem.

Spend a good three hours taking my time cleaning all the dust out of the case, reinstalling the hard tubing and generally getting it finished.

B2 error. Reset CMOS, still no good. Take my cable extensions off and run the standard cables and it boots into BIOS! Success! Such a good feeling 😁

Configure my boot device in the BIOS, reboot and: B2 error.

It’s dead. I triple check everything but it’s exactly like before. Now to drain my loop, again. Bypass the GPU, again. Refit my crappy Gigabyte 3080 on air in a water cooling case, again. So my wife can use it to study tomorrow. And it’s 2am, again. Pay $180 shipping, again. I’ll buy a Gigabyte with a pre-fitted block tomorrow and sell the RMA’d FTW3.
post edited by TrumpyAl - 2021/06/14 21:12:05
Smithship
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/14 09:35:26 (permalink)
kdog0428
I had a similar problem with a 2080Ti and EK Waterbock. Turned out it was the Nickel backplate causing it to not post. I figured it out when I took off the back plate an tried it and it posted. I put it back on and I didn't post again.  After racking my brain for a while over it. I tried loosening the screws on the backplate and poof it posted. You have to be careful of how tight you screw in the back plate on the EK blocks and be very mindful of the placement of thermal pads on it. Hopefully you get it fixed....

Yikes. This *cannot* be normal. Can it?
This is really scary if the tolerances are so close that simple screw tension causes it to fail boot.
There has to be a root cause you can fix, don't you think?
Smithship
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/14 09:45:35 (permalink)
Vipilicious
JustinMcLauchlin
stealthvitus
My 3090 FTW3 Ultra after installing an EKWB waterblock didn't want to rise freq more then 210mhz... Temp is 28deg. Fan speed 0.

MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL.

Have anybody same problem ?

Actually, have this same thing going on. Just a bug? Games are running fine, etc. Seems like its just idling at 200 or something and doesn't reach boost speeds until I start gaming. I will monitor this as I test today on 3dmark

Had this problem too. Refers to energy settings. Use maximum power. Should solve the issue.

@ Topic - installed the block 2 months ago still running. What i figured out: One Screw was not fitting perfectly. During the installation i figured out that some copper pieces from the screw hole were noticable at the board. Furthermore dont overtighting the screws. I screwed them until I recognized only small resistance nothing more. Furthermore I recognized that the thermal pads at the backplate were not fitting perfectly. Before installing the backplate just hold it at one end and look if it fits or not.

This is good information. Very helpful. I plan to do water cooling and its exactly these kinds of things that I need to watch. Thanks.
earlmarinus
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/15 11:39:40 (permalink)
I installed the hybird kit on my 3090 FTW3 Ultra and started to get the error code 67 and sometimes it would boot. I finally had success of it booting after flashing the GPU Bios and MB bios. I then got the EK Water Block because as well all my other EK Parts so decided to do custom loop. Well you can add me to the list of error code 67 no matter what I tried. I even put another GPU in with it and show in Device manager with ! next to it. I RMA it yesterday and sent it out today. BTW EVGA was great with the process. I wish would of seen this thread before hand. I will try tape method when I get the new card.
TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/15 12:28:16 (permalink)
Not impressed with the cooling pad placement on the card that I received for my RMA, that lower VRAM cooling pad was just barely touching on one corner.

As it is also bricked now that I've fitted the EK block and backplate, I have resorted to truly desperate measures to get my rig completed so I can move onto other projects.

Not at all what I wanted, although the extra year's warranty is welcome.  Maybe I'll try again when I get it back.  Maybe not.
post edited by TrumpyAl - 2021/06/15 12:30:13
earlmarinus
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/15 18:10:27 (permalink)
I had to RMA my card hopefully I get something decent back
TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/17 02:52:30 (permalink)
EVGA do not want to RMA the second card and are telling me that I shouldn't use EK products on their cards.

EK assure me that EVGA ok'd the design before it was released.

I will follow it up with Eric Ding.  This has further damaged my impression of EVGA as being a provider of quality products.
eagle27272
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/17 03:50:40 (permalink)
TrumpyAl
Not impressed with the cooling pad placement on the card that I received for my RMA, that lower VRAM cooling pad was just barely touching on one corner.

As it is also bricked now that I've fitted the EK block and backplate, I have resorted to truly desperate measures to get my rig completed so I can move onto other projects.

Not at all what I wanted, although the extra year's warranty is welcome.  Maybe I'll try again when I get it back.  Maybe not.

Haha, this was my exact solution and the Aorus is running great.
post edited by eagle27272 - 2021/06/17 03:53:11
TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 03:04:44 (permalink)
Second RMA approved after explaining the specifics of my situation.  Faith restored!
__Kaj__
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 03:20:46 (permalink)
TrumpyAl
Second RMA approved after explaining the specifics of my situation.  Faith restored!

Do we actually know what is killing the cards, or just guesses?
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 03:39:26 (permalink)
TrumpyAl
EVGA do not want to RMA the second card and are telling me that I shouldn't use EK products on their cards.

I will follow it up with Eric Ding.  This has further damaged my impression of EVGA as being a provider of quality products.

There not telling you that you cant use EK products, they are telling you to beware that yes your covered under warranty BUT if you install a aftermarket part like a waterblock and theres any physical damage to the card it will void your warranty. They are covering there asses, rightfully so, and making sure you were advised of this part of the warranty. Of course they would suggest you not use other companyhs stuff, they want to sell you there stuff. Its a business so they tend to be a little biased at making money for it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
richard203
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 04:00:09 (permalink)
wow i was gonna give ek block a try but i research a lot of people had their graphic card not working after the install. i guess i have to wait for my time for those hydro copper card.
jnayna
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 08:49:52 (permalink)
richard203
wow i was gonna give ek block a try but i research a lot of people had their graphic card not working after the install. i guess i have to wait for my time for those hydro copper card.

The cost is more, but look into the Optimus block. That's what I ended up going with and the mounting layout is far superior that I didn't have a concern with over tightening.

After install of backplate, the Front plate mounts directly to the backplate creating a sandwich. I read that leadtimes were really bad when first launched, but I got mine in right about a month, so could be faster than waiting for a hydro block right now.
skyline090
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 14:48:15 (permalink)
EK is now using a shorter standoff on the 3080/3090 blocks. They will send you one for free if you have one. They are sending me one which I will swap out when I pull it out for maintenance.

Custom loop w/EK blocks - 12900k, 4090 FE, z690 Apex, G.Skill DDR5 6600 c32, EVGA 1000 P6, Lian Li O11D XL

goodgmr
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/18 15:07:27 (permalink)
Question for the experts, within the ranges specifically for one number 3080 is there a meaningful difference in the other types of 3080s that do not have a "ti" , I do not really get the difference when they are not collectible issues.  

TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/19 01:31:16 (permalink)
wmmills
TrumpyAl

There not telling you that you cant use EK products, they are telling you to beware that yes your covered under warranty BUT if you install a aftermarket part like a waterblock and theres any physical damage to the card it will void your warranty. They are covering there asses, rightfully so, and making sure you were advised of this part of the warranty. Of course they would suggest you not use other companyhs stuff, they want to sell you there stuff. Its a business so they tend to be a little biased at making money for it. 

I know that their English is not great, but you I'm quite sure that you have invented your own message there: their response made no mention at all of physical damage to the card.  They have not 'suggested' that I do not use EK's product, but rather they have stated that doing so will void my warranty.  I asked for RMA approval and instead received that message and I think it is reasonable to interpret it as them saying that they covered it last time, but it is not covered by warranty this time.  As you can see, they did not ask anything about physical damage.  Only when I escalated it, and pointed out (with photo evidence) that the card that they sent me from the first RMA had been assembled with a misplaced thermal pad, did they approve the RMA.  Had they provided a card in good condition from the first RMA I believe that they would have upheld the rejection of my RMA request.

skyline090
EK is now using a shorter standoff on the 3080/3090 blocks. They will send you one for free if you have one. They are sending me one which I will swap out when I pull it out for maintenance.

When I enquired to EK about this they ignored my query and instead told me to stress test the card before disassembly and to be gentle (both of which I was already was doing).  Not sure why EK haven't updated their online instructions to stress test the card prior to disassembly.
post edited by TrumpyAl - 2021/06/19 03:48:56
earlmarinus
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/19 05:03:16 (permalink)
I just pre order the EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 RTX 3080/3090 Active Backplate D-RGB so I will try this when I get my new card. I will not use other backplate the EK sent and see if I get error on my new card
krellnut
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 07:52:47 (permalink)
Just received EK block on Friday and the standoff in question has indeed have its diameter turned down. That been said, still not excited about installing it.
Ineedgfx
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 12:38:39 (permalink)
Point of clarification???

Are y'all talking about the EK optional backplate or the main VGA/GPU block?

I have a 3080Ti and I just ordered this https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/water-blocks/water-blocks-vga/ek-quantum-vector-ftw3-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-plus-acetal-ek-qtm-vt-ftw3-3080-90-nk-ac.html this past week & it arrived yesterday & I don't see a stand off screw that could be removed from the block nor anything that looks like that in the bag of screws

I have done lots of water cooling back in the day & I am getting back on that horse because I miss the challenge & fun of PC tweaking but want to make sure I have a best case scenario here.

Rig:
Asus Z690 Strix D4
Super Flower 1K Plat
EVGA 3080Ti
12700k(5.3Ghz)/2tb&1tb NVME/32GB 3600/14/14/14/14
Ineedgfx
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 13:13:37 (permalink)
Also anecdotally my block has what appears to be a serial # of 3304 so that's quite a few of these FTW3 specific
blocks relative to what's being reported here.

Rig:
Asus Z690 Strix D4
Super Flower 1K Plat
EVGA 3080Ti
12700k(5.3Ghz)/2tb&1tb NVME/32GB 3600/14/14/14/14
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 15:59:33 (permalink)
EK reopened my closed ticket and offered to send me 3 smaller standoffs - wonder if they read this thread and saw me talking crap about Ales...

I don't want them though - I'm not touching the block - as long as it's working - and I fear that touching it even to just install the smaller standoffs is risky.

But hey....25 days after I asked for smaller standoffs EK is offering them....
earlmarinus
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 17:15:28 (permalink)
I am curious have you all that have had success with the ekwb water block put the 1 mm pads on the vrms? I notice in you tube video by Arithin Hanzo that he did not put them on vrms. In the instructions on ekwb PDF it states to cover them with pads.

Attached Image(s)

Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 17:17:14 (permalink)
earlmarinus
I am curious have you all that have had success with the ekwb water block put the 1 mm pads on the vrms? I notice in you tube video by Arithin Hanzo that he did not put them on vrms. In the instructions on ekwb PDF it states to cover them with pads.

I have pads on the vrms. I had pads on the vrms when it failed and pads when it worked....literally the same block and same pad placement. 
earlmarinus
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/20 17:22:03 (permalink)
Thanks. I am waiting for my RMA card and preorder my active cooling plate from ekwb. I think when I get get cooling plate is when I will mount it again.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/21 02:15:42 (permalink)
TrumpyAl
wmmills
TrumpyAl

I know that their English is not great, but you I'm quite sure that you have invented your own message there: their response made no mention at all of physical damage to the card.  They have not 'suggested' that I do not use EK's product, but rather they have stated that doing so will void my warranty.  I asked for RMA approval and instead received that message and I think it is reasonable to interpret it as them saying that they covered it last time, but it is not covered by warranty this time.  As you can see, they did not ask anything about physical damage.  Only when I escalated it, and pointed out (with photo evidence) that the card that they sent me from the first RMA had been assembled with a misplaced thermal pad, did they approve the RMA.  Had they provided a card in good condition from the first RMA I believe that they would have upheld the rejection of my RMA request.

skyline090

When I enquired to EK about this they ignored my query and instead told me to stress test the card before disassembly and to be gentle (both of which I was already was doing).  Not sure why EK haven't updated their online instructions to stress test the card prior to disassembly.

Im sorry brotha, but yes with the broken english and not having all the context i took what i could figure out they were saying to mean something a little different. Thankfully you should be good though.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile