EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 29
Author
eg0911
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/24 11:08:14 (permalink)
Just because there is short causing a no power scenario does not mean taping up the block will do anything. 
Mordgier
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/24 11:37:45 (permalink)
eg0911
Just because there is short causing a no power scenario does not mean taping up the block will do anything. 

Does not compute.

Either the block is shorting something, or it isn't. If it's shorting something, insulation is the solution.

If the block isn't shorting anything - then the block isn't the problem.

eg0911
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/24 11:56:44 (permalink)
Earlier in the thread there was concerns of caps being to close to one of the standoffs per EK. I have put it under the microscope and my caps in that area look fine and also test fine in diode mode.
Insulating the top of the block is not a clear solution to eliminating shorts if like other people have said caps are to close to standoffs and end up getting crushed. A few fets on my board are clearly shorted when testing with a meter. Even with the block off they remain shorted.
All im saying is its impossible to test for the specific shorted area when the block is on(besides the power connectors and pci connector) and taping is not 100% going to solve a short. You cant completely isolated the block from the board without modifying EKs product.
At this point my 3rd card arrived. I could mount the block again and multimeter the power connectors and pci slot to look for shorts before powering on. I am not going to do that. Its up to EK to make sure their blocks work with EVGAs product across the board.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/24 12:04:58 (permalink)
I'm not sure its really taking advantage of their rma process since they would need to research why the card is failing before anyone can ensure it is because of the stand-off.  But I do think that it does merit a closer look since how you install the block could tweak the pcb which could lead to that post increasing the chances of making a closed circuit and causing a short.  The emails from posted by users here point to the bigger issue is if the emails are legit then why is EK still sending out the "Cookie Cutter" response.  I'm sure that they wont want to admit that their block is the issue, but from the email posted by MeeleeSparks earlier about the revision to the post it would seem like that is a point of concern regarding failures.  EK would not be changing out the post unless they were able to reproduce the failure or during their research into the issue caused concern that it could be contributing to the failures.  

I am not saying anyone created "fake" emails from EK, just that it is conflicting as to what they are sharing with the community when users are attempting to resolve their GPU issues.  

It's great that users are pushing the manufacturers as to why we have the failures they are going through and to share what they got from them.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Fourzero
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/24 15:32:46 (permalink)
Reading these posts makes me worry. Many people here have been installing waterblocks for years, including myself, and suddenly the cards are just breaking after installing the block? Something must be shorting the card. What else would it be? I highly doubt it that people are breaking the PCB because of some dried paste or whatever, this isn't anything new and many people are aware that cards behave this way because the paste is always garbage (so are the pads, on ANY card) so obviously you take out the PCB slowly. For a card to immediately die after installing a water block (after being fine on air for months) means something is shorting the card. You can't tell me all the people here have broken the PCB by taking the cooler off?? What is this, 2008? Have you guys checked everything after installing the waterblock, for example, placing the card under direct sunlight and checking it from the side to see if there's something touching a component somewhere? Maybe everyone is just being sloppy and breaking their cards? Who knows.

My block arrived (and so did the MORA 420) but now I don't even wanna risk it. There's just 0 cards anywhere and who knows how long the RMA will take. I really hope someone finds what's happening here.
post edited by Fourzero - 2021/05/24 15:59:24
markus_ke
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/24 23:18:35 (permalink)
I changed mine on 10. feb and till yet working.
But the temps could be better and the quality how the block fits is very bad.

I got a chance to install the Quantum Vector (3090) on a MSI Trio X.
And what should i say it was another level. It suits perfect not like mine with the FTW3.
Some memory's i need 1,5mm pads and not the 1mm pads with the FTW3 Block.

I'm up with you. So many people with problems who do change coolers for many years couldn't be result in so many death cards.

But only a change of the block could help if the standoff is really the problem.
If i can remember well this standoff is the block itself. So a change will be an change of the block?

jnayna

garbage-79
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 06:01:45 (permalink)
The problem is that there seems to be a quite enormous variations in the factory for these new cards. IgorsLab has measured the bending of these cards for example and these are not flat at all. 
This issue can make a lot of trouble, even for experienced users. Without the right equipment you simply don't know how worse your card is and every single card is different in this regard. The cooler might perfectly fit on one card and what will make trouble on another card with the same sku. The manufacturers of the waterblocks can't adjust either as every card is so different and unique... 
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 06:36:57 (permalink)
markus_ke
I changed mine on 10. feb and till yet working.
But the temps could be better and the quality how the block fits is very bad.

I got a chance to install the Quantum Vector (3090) on a MSI Trio X.
And what should i say it was another level. It suits perfect not like mine with the FTW3.
Some memory's i need 1,5mm pads and not the 1mm pads with the FTW3 Block.

I'm up with you. So many people with problems who do change coolers for many years couldn't be result in so many death cards.

But only a change of the block could help if the standoff is really the problem.
If i can remember well this standoff is the block itself. So a change will be an change of the block?

jnayna

The standoffs are removable. There is no need to replace the block.

EK basically told me that I broke my card removing the aircooler - but are willing to send me the standoff anyway.

Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 06:40:07 (permalink)
garbage-79
The problem is that there seems to be a quite enormous variations in the factory for these new cards. IgorsLab has measured the bending of these cards for example and these are not flat at all. 
This issue can make a lot of trouble, even for experienced users. Without the right equipment you simply don't know how worse your card is and every single card is different in this regard. The cooler might perfectly fit on one card and what will make trouble on another card with the same sku. The manufacturers of the waterblocks can't adjust either as every card is so different and unique... 

The air cooler is able to not fry these 'unique' cards - so this is hardly as complex as you claim.
Subzero30k
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 06:46:47 (permalink)
Hm i have mine 3090 now three weeks whit the ek Block running at Moment no issue whit the card

Its my secound card i added a waterblock First one was a 2080ti

Just Luck?
redrek43
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 07:21:33 (permalink)
I've only murdered one card via waterblock installs. I killed it when I forgot to unplug the power cable that was attached to the videocard and did a loop refill which had me constantly turning on and off the system which fried the card. RMA got me another card quick
MeleeSparks
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 08:07:36 (permalink)
Subzero30k
Hm i have mine 3090 now three weeks whit the ek Block running at Moment no issue whit the card

Its my secound card i added a waterblock First one was a 2080ti

Just Luck?

Who knows, I personally have waterblocked more than 8 video cards in the past 10 years or so and I haven't had an issue with any.  Fast forward to two weeks ago, both my FTW3 Ultra 3090's died.  Several users here are also very experienced that have had this card brick.
eg0911
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 09:35:29 (permalink)
Here is my latest response from EK.
---------------
There seems that there was some misunderstanding, we did do extensive research on the topic. 
Please understand that we pulled back those "faulty" blocks and tested them and all worked perfectly on our GPUs. The same blocks were then returned and were used by users to mount them on the RMAed gpus and then it worked perfectly, they confirmed that. We do not have a single confirmed case that EK block "killed" a single FTW3 GPU. All the GPUs were RMAed by EVGA and are now working on the same blocks.  That is why we are confident to say that you can mount the same block to the RMAed GPU as we are certain there are no issues with the block or backplate. That was not a single confirmed case but many of them, and there was not one confirmed case that the issue was because of the EK block. 

EK is renowned to admit and fix its mistakes which is evident in the past if it comes to that. 
That is why we would like to offer you to send us your RMAed GPU(when you receive it) the block, and the backplate, and we will mount it for you, do the tests and send it back to you. 
For that, you will need to open an RMA ticket at this link: 
You would need to send clear pictures of the GPU from all sides and also do the same for the block and backplate to that RMA ticket. 
--------------------

I have already had 2 GPUs die to this block. They are still saying that its user mounting error. I guess im just not skilled enough to mount a EK block anymore. Time for the trash bin. Bought EK all my life. I guess its over.
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 09:47:53 (permalink)
eg0911
---------------
There seems that there was some misunderstanding, we did do extensive research on the topic. 
Please understand that we pulled back those "faulty" blocks and tested them and all worked perfectly on our GPUs. The same blocks were then returned and were used by users to mount them on the RMAed gpus and then it worked perfectly, they confirmed that. We do not have a single confirmed case that EK block "killed" a single FTW3 GPU. All the GPUs were RMAed by EVGA and are now working on the same blocks.  That is why we are confident to say that you can mount the same block to the RMAed GPU as we are certain there are no issues with the block or backplate. That was not a single confirmed case but many of them, and there was not one confirmed case that the issue was because of the EK block. 

EK is renowned to admit and fix its mistakes which is evident in the past if it comes to that. 
That is why we would like to offer you to send us your RMAed GPU(when you receive it) the block, and the backplate, and we will mount it for you, do the tests and send it back to you. 
You would need to send clear pictures of the GPU from all sides and also do the same for the block and backplate to that RMA ticket. 
--------------------

I have already had 2 GPUs die to this block. They are still saying that its user mounting error. I guess im just not skilled enough to mount a EK block anymore. Time for the trash bin. Bought EK all my life. I guess its over.

I would absolutely take up EK on mounting the block for me if they can guarantee that they won't fry it. Hell, I'd pay for that service.

What bothers me is that my card did work initially with the block - PC was rebooted fine several times and had video - then dead. 

So EK could mount the block, turn it on, get video, send it to you, and then it'll die on you within hours.

post edited by Mordgier - 2021/05/25 09:49:32
eg0911
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 09:50:54 (permalink)
Mordgier
eg0911
---------------

--------------------

I would absolutely take up EK on mounting the block for me if they can guarantee that they won't fry it. Hell, I'd pay for that service.

What bothers me is that my card did work initially with the block - PC was rebooted fine several times and had video - then dead. 

So EK could mount the block, turn it on, get video, send it to you, and then it'll die on you within hours.

Mine ran for almost a month the 1st time. Its just not worth it for me until these gpus are on shelves.
MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 09:51:21 (permalink)
Mordgier
eg0911
---------------

--------------------

I would absolutely take up EK on mounting the block for me if they can guarantee that they won't fry it.

That is the risk right there.  EK would have to provide some degree of warranty; 90 days no issues or something like that.  I wouldn't even risk sending it to them because as you mentioned, they can mount the blocks, plug it into the PC, turn it on and if there's video, they'll shut the machine down and send it out.

At this point, I'm ready to sell both my water blocks and both my backplates with the new "stand offs" EK sent me and just run my 3090's on air this generation.
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 09:59:06 (permalink)
eg0911
Mordgier
eg0911
---------------

--------------------

Mine ran for almost a month the 1st time. Its just not worth it for me until these gpus are on shelves.

At a month though it's pretty hard to say if it really is WB related. After all it wouldn't be the first GPU to drop dead out of the blue https://forums.evga.com/3090-Died-Again-This-is-ridiculous-m3307211.aspx   - and plenty of people are fine - https://forums.evga.com/30803090-FTW3-waterblock-deaths-m3235633.aspx  Yes I know your RMA card died as well - and yup that's certainly not just a DOA card  - but I have no reason to suspect that the failure rate is not the minority overall.

As always, the failure rate is over reported vs success rate.

If my card didn't die - I wouldn't be here posting about it working fine. So all we see here are people whose cards fail. Those for whom it worked fine are too busy gaming to come to the forum to laugh at our misery.
post edited by Mordgier - 2021/05/25 10:03:44
JustinMcLauchlin
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/25 14:47:22 (permalink)
So best course of action at this point, is to do what? I still plan on watercooling since my build was based around it, so I don't really have a choice to revert to air. Besides heating up the GPU under a bench or two before removing the stock air cooler, what is recommended? Any new thermal pads somewhere? Any help on experience with it would be great. 

Side note: my RMA gpu that I will be getting back has the 2114 serial number, and the original one that died had the 2014 one. Not sure if that matters any tbh
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 06:44:24 (permalink)
JustinMcLauchlin
So best course of action at this point, is to do what? I still plan on watercooling since my build was based around it, so I don't really have a choice to revert to air. Besides heating up the GPU under a bench or two before removing the stock air cooler, what is recommended? Any new thermal pads somewhere? Any help on experience with it would be great. 

Side note: my RMA gpu that I will be getting back has the 2114 serial number, and the original one that died had the 2014 one. Not sure if that matters any tbh

I'm getting my replacement GPU today - and I'm going to be taking another go at it. 

I have reached out to EK for the smaller standoff but they have so far just stalled with stupid questions like "What do you mean the GPU is dead? Do you have any video out?" 

All I wanted was for them to send me the smaller standoff and I offered to pay shipping yet they are basically stalling.

In short EVGA was able to get a $2000 GPU to me faster than EK a 10 cent standoff.

Either way, I see no path forward besides retrying with the new GPU.
MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 08:52:00 (permalink)
I just received both my RMA FTW3 3090's.  I'm pretty f*ing annoyed at this point.  One of the 3090's seem fine, however the second 3090 has the "void" sticker on the backplate removed, and I can obviously see a ton of thermal putty/paste missing and nothing making contact to the surface -- just from looking at the side of the card.  I threw both 3090's into my rig (still air cooled) and the one that's obviously missing thermal putty is about 15 degrees hotter during idle.  Not only that - the only LED working on the video card is the "EVGA" logo on the backplate.

Enough to send this thing back or what?
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 09:01:41 (permalink)
MeleeSparks
I just received both my RMA FTW3 3090's.  I'm pretty f*ing annoyed at this point.  One of the 3090's seem fine, however the second 3090 has the "void" sticker on the backplate removed, and I can obviously see a ton of thermal putty/paste missing and nothing making contact to the surface -- just from looking at the side of the card.  I threw both 3090's into my rig (still air cooled) and the one that's obviously missing thermal putty is about 15 degrees hotter during idle.  Not only that - the only LED working on the video card is the "EVGA" logo on the backplate.

No LEDs over the PCIE plugs? That'd be enough for me to send it right back.

On the other hand, if you can clearly see that the card works and the air cooler is basically detached - well - seems like a candidate for easy removal of the air cooler and putting a block on.
MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 09:47:46 (permalink)
Mordgier
MeleeSparks

No LEDs over the PCIE plugs? That'd be enough for me to send it right back.

On the other hand, if you can clearly see that the card works and the air cooler is basically detached - well - seems like a candidate for easy removal of the air cooler and putting a block on.

I'm planning on running on air for now.  My build is also built for a full water cooled build (like others here), but I'm too far behind on my client work (I'm a video colorist) to "hope" the next time I block up both my 3090's they'll work.  Until I can buy another two 3090's for MSRP, readily available, I can't waste anymore time.  I've been down for two months and my project backlog is too much.
MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 09:56:32 (permalink)
JustinMcLauchlin

Sure you can.  It might not be "optimized" for air, but it'll work just fine.  My build was built for water, but outside of the crappy 2nd RMA card I received, it's currently running fine on 100% load during my workflow.

before

after receiving RMA's and just running on air (looks like **** because the diverted loop path from CPU to bottom rad)

jnayna
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 10:19:36 (permalink)
Working to see if I can return the waterblocks and support now saying the smaller standoffs are not for performance but will be changed for all future production. Support is still willing to send me the smaller standoffs if I want them.

Takes 2 days per 1 response so might not be this week, but getting feeling that as 'nothing is wrong with the EK product' won't be able to return the block.

Ended up upgrading to larger size rad to go with Lian Li O11D-XL case and also fighting over fact that I had installed fans on the smaller rad. (Not Mint)

Wish EK was as easy to work with as EVGA....
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 10:28:30 (permalink)
jnayna
Working to see if I can return the waterblocks and support now saying the smaller standoffs are not for performance but will be changed for all future production. Support is still willing to send me the smaller standoffs if I want them.

Takes 2 days per 1 response so might not be this week, but getting feeling that as 'nothing is wrong with the EK product' won't be able to return the block.

Ended up upgrading to larger size rad to go with Lian Li O11D-XL case and also fighting over fact that I had installed fans on the smaller rad. (Not Mint)

Wish EK was as easy to work with as EVGA....

Yup - EK has been an absolute pain to work with. I explicitly stated that I wanted the smaller standoffs right away - and they're just...dragging their feet. 

I settled on EK because Heatkiller or Aquacomputer blocks aren't available and Optimus blocks have a wait list that is unappealing.

I think next time, I'll wait for higher quality blocks. Even if EK isn't the cause, dealing with the has been a poor experience. 
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 14:12:23 (permalink)
So I got my RMA 3090. Clearly a refurb with some of the backplate screws heads stripped - and actually I saw that as good news.

If the replacement card had clearly been disassembled before and still works - that's good right? Looks like whoever had it before took it apart, squirted on enough thermal paste to drown an elephant on the GPU and slapped it back together. Either way the air cooler and backplate came off with zero effort. In fact - they sort of popped off once unscrewed. The card clearly has curvature and was being flexed by the oem aircooler - not great.

I tested the card on air, tested it with the air cooler removed  - and finally yolo'd and slapped the block on.

So far - it works. Original card also worked at first so I'm not counting my chickens yet. I'll let it run overnight and report back I suppose.
post edited by Mordgier - 2021/05/26 14:31:06
JustinMcLauchlin
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 14:16:26 (permalink)
I'm wondering if they are purposely putting them back together kinda slack-like just cause they know people will put a block on them  or so, i hope
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 14:40:58 (permalink)
JustinMcLauchlin
I'm wondering if they are purposely putting them back together kinda slack-like just cause they know people will put a block on them  or so, i hope

I'd pay $100 extra to get a card with no air cooler out of the box - I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 14:42:33 (permalink)
Mordgier
So I got my RMA 3090. Clearly a refurb with some of the backplate screws heads stripped - and actually I saw that as good news.

If the replacement card had clearly been disassembled before and still works - that's good right? Looks like whoever had it before took it apart, squirted on enough thermal paste to drown an elephant on the GPU and slapped it back together. Either way the air cooler and backplate came off with zero effort. In fact - they sort of popped off once unscrewed. The card clearly has curvature and was being flexed by the oem aircooler - not great.

I tested the card on air, tested it with the air cooler removed  - and finally yolo'd and slapped the block on.

So far - it works. Original card also worked at first so I'm not counting my chickens yet. I'll let it run overnight and report back I suppose.

Which thermal pads are you applying?
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 14:54:05 (permalink)
MeleeSparks
Mordgier

Which thermal pads are you applying?

The thin pads on the block, thick on the backplate. EK seems to have included enough pads to cover the entire card with them front and back.
Thin pads on the block appear to make contact and thick on the back because while the thin ones worked they seemed just a bit higher than other components on the back of the card and even the thickest EK provided pads were not as massively thick as the OEM blob.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile