EVGA

Helpful ReplyGTX 980 FTW Crashing

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
deuce985
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 20:43:25 (permalink)
Jshiver90
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
I have an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2 mobo with his exact problem only I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC and not FTW. I did tests on my end and same as him, underclocking was the only thing to fix my problems. Waiting on my RMA to get here so we can see if it fixes my problem.

I'm not saying bcavnaugh is wrong, but if it's true, would down clocking solve the "compatibility" problem? I don't remember seeing that Maxwell GPUs and the Hero VII weren't compatible.

I highly doubt it but you never know with mobo problems. If it was a mobo problem like that though a BIOS update would surely fix it and it would be hurting EVERYONE on a similar build with that BIOS. No way would ASUS let it extend itself out especially since it's a gaming enthusiast board.

Updating BIOS was the first thing I did.

Read my edit. Could possibly be a setting that all ASUS family mobos use. I could see that definitely being a problem. I'm not sure what setting like that would cause TDR errors tbh. It's sounding more and more like you just have a bad GPU as the same thing is going on for me. The only time you get crashes is when you use a GTX 980 while a separate GPU your system is rock solid or you underclock the 980. These TDR problems are making me rip my hair out. In all my years of playing around on PCs...I've never experienced anything this bad.

The way I understand it TDR errors are cause by:

Driver conflicts or corrupted drivers
Bad writing in the drivers
PSU problems
Unstable overclock on CPU/GPU
GPU just dying
Bad RAM
BIOS

I'm sure other things can cause it too. I think I read awhile back Realtek HD drivers could cause TDR errors but I'm not sure on that. I'd imagine any driver that can conflict with Windows is a possibility on TDR so best to make sure everything on your PC is updated. Your problem points to unstable OC which is why it responds to underclocking for stability(same as me).
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/06/03 20:54:02
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:00:40 (permalink)
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
I have an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2 mobo with his exact problem only I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC and not FTW. I did tests on my end and same as him, underclocking was the only thing to fix my problems. Waiting on my RMA to get here so we can see if it fixes my problem.

I'm not saying bcavnaugh is wrong, but if it's true, would down clocking solve the "compatibility" problem? I don't remember seeing that Maxwell GPUs and the Hero VII weren't compatible.

I highly doubt it but you never know with mobo problems. If it was a mobo problem like that though a BIOS update would surely fix it and it would be hurting EVERYONE on a similar build with that BIOS. No way would ASUS let it extend itself out especially since it's a gaming enthusiast board.

Read my edit. Could possibly be a setting that all ASUS family mobos use. I could see that definitely being a problem. I'm not sure what setting like that would cause TDR errors tbh. It's sounding more and more like you just have a bad GPU as the same thing is going on for me. The only time you get crashes is when you use a GTX 980 while a separate GPU your system is rock solid or you underclock the 980. These TDR problems are making me rip my hair out. In all my years of playing around on PCs...I've never experienced anything this bad.

PSU problems
GPU just dying
Bad RAM
BIOS

I'm sure other things can cause it too. I think I read awhile back Realtek HD drivers could cause TDR errors but I'm not sure on that. I'd imagine any driver that can conflict with Windows is a possibility on TDR so best to make sure everything on your PC is updated. Your problem points to unstable OC which is why it responds to underclocking for stability(same as me).

Sorry but i have to pitch in again. The issue You are talking about here "TDR" is not the issue OP is having.

TDR by definition is the driver failing/hanging up and recovering. The issue the OP, me and a bunch of other have is, getting a black screen (monitor losing signal), PC being unresponsive even though (at least in my case) sound just keeps playing but we are ultimately being forced to hard reset the system to get the signal back on the monitor.

I hope i described it sufficiently.

Edit: Also You didn't want to say it but i am gonna. Bcavnaugh is wrong. In the other thread he said it probably because of 5-6 year old hardware or user fault and now its suddenly because of the Asus Mainboard. He has no idea what he is talking about so be sure to ignore his comments entirely.

http://forums.evga.com/RM...Crashing-m2344866.aspx
bcavnaugh

I think most of the failure rate is the end user not so much as the Card.
A lot of users install the new Maxwell on motherboards that are more than 5 and 6 years old is also a problem.

post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/03 21:06:18
Jshiver90
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:07:29 (permalink)
wickedwayne
Sorry but i have to pitch in again. The issue You are talking about here TDR is not the issue OP is having.

TDR by definition is the driver failing/hanging up and recovering. The issue the OP, me and a bunch of other have is, getting a black screen (monitor losing signal), PC being unresponsive even though (at least in my case) sound just keeps playing but we are ultimately being forced to hard reset the system to get the signal back on the monitor.

This is correct, I am not receiving TDR errors.

I'm going to rewrite everything I've tried so far, because it seems like I'm getting a lot of the same suggestions that I've already ruled out.

1. Updated BIOS.
2. Clean installed multiple nVidia drivers.
3. Checked RAM, down-clocked RAM.
4. Verified PSU voltage.
5. RMA'd one card already.
6. Updated Chipset on Intel.
7. Optimized BIOS.
8. CHKDSK
9. Verified Windows files.
10. Reinstall DirectX.
11. RMA'd PSU.
12. Down clocked GTX 980 FTW (WORKED).
13. Replaced GTX 980 with GTX 660 OC (WORKED).
14. Changed power setting in nVidia Control Panel from "Adaptive" to "Prefer Maximum Performance".
15. Set fan speed to 100%.
16. Tried a different PCI-e slot.

I don't have access to another computer in order to test the GTX 980 FTW in a separate machine. However, I do have another GPU to test in the same machine. My GTX 660 OC works fine in the same PC, and causes no issues with BSODs.

While I understand the previous card passed EVGA's "tests", it also passed mine using FurMark, 3DMark Sky, and multiple other benchmark programs; however, that didn't stop it from crashing my system while playing actual games. My GTX 660 OC has also passed FurMark and 3DMark Sky, but it doesn't crash my system while playing actual games.

There must either be a compatibility issue with the GTX 980 FTW and my system, or there must be something wrong with the GTX 980 FTWs that I've received. I've even tried RMA'ing other parts in my system that were not defective and working properly, and the issue still persists while using the GTX 980 FTW.
post edited by Jshiver90 - 2015/06/03 21:14:24
deuce985
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:14:03 (permalink)
wickedwayne
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985

PSU problems
GPU just dying
Bad RAM
BIOS

Sorry but i have to pitch in again. The issue You are talking about here "TDR" is not the issue OP is having.

Edit: Also You didn't want to say it but i am gonna. Bcavnaugh is wrong. In the other thread he said it probably because of 5-6 year old hardware or user fault and now its suddenly because of the Asus Mainboard. He has no idea what he is talking about so be sure to ignore his comments entirely.

bcavnaugh

A lot of users install the new Maxwell on motherboards that are more than 5 and 6 years old is also a problem.

I actually got a mix of both with my problems. I would sometimes get a driver crash and then it would recover or sometimes I would get the black screen where I'd have to reset my PC. Most of the time I could get back to Windows where I could see the taskbar at the bottom but I couldn't get the black image off my screen so I'd press my power button to reset it. Sometimes I could close it and other times it would just stay black like you said and I'd have to reboot it pressing power key.

My entire rig is fairly new was built in late October. Funny thing is it worked great for a few months until these problems first started cropping up in SWTOR where I'd get grey screen crashes until I underclocked. It was only until I played TW3 when I got them real bad and even underclocking no longer worked. I remember one time I got a crash, closed TW3, loaded the game back up and got like 10fps then I rebooted and it was fine until I got a black screen crash where I needed to reboot to recover. I got sick of it and after doing tests on my end the only thing I could come to a conclusion was a bad GPU.

I'd also like to note I could run benchmarks as described above flawlessly too up until TW3 came out which I think broke my GPU for good. The only game that exhibited problems for months on me was SWTOR and a simple underclock eliminated those errors for me. I actually thought SWTOR was the problem since no other game crashed. I think my GPU degraded over time because when I initially got it in early November I played Dragon Age Inquisition hardcore and that's a taxing game. Never experienced a problem until like late February when I tried MMO SWTOR out and then finally TW3.
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/06/03 21:20:54
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:15:55 (permalink)
Jshiver90
wickedwayne
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985

PSU problems
GPU just dying
Bad RAM
BIOS

Sorry but i have to pitch in again. The issue You are talking about here TDR is not the issue OP is having.

This is correct, I am not receiving TDR errors.

I'm going to rewrite everything I've tried so far, because it seems like I'm getting a lot of the same suggestions that I've already ruled out.

1. Updated BIOS.
2. Clean installed multiple nVidia drivers.
3. Checked RAM, down-clocked RAM.
4. Verified PSU voltage.
5. RMA'd one card already.
6. Updated Chipset on Intel.
7. Optimized BIOS.
8. CHKDSK
9. Verified Windows files.
10. Reinstall DirectX.
11. RMA'd PSU.
12. Down clocked GTX 980 FTW (WORKED).
13. Replaced GTX 980 with GTX 660 OC (WORKED).
14. Changed power setting in nVidia Control Panel from "Adaptive" to "Prefer Maximum Performance".
15. Set fan speed to 100%.
16. Tried a different PCI-e slot.

I don't have access to another computer in order to test the GTX 980 FTW in a separate machine. However, I do have another GPU to test in the same machine. My GTX 660 OC works fine in the same PC, and causes no issues with BSODs.

While I understand the previous card passed EVGA's "tests", it also passed mine using FurMark, 3DMark Sky, and multiple other benchmark programs; however, that didn't stop it from crashing my system while playing actual games. My GTX 660 OC has also passed FurMark and 3DMark Sky, but it doesn't crash my system while playing actual games.

There must either be a compatibility issue with the GTX 980 FTW and my system, or there must be something wrong with the GTX 980 FTWs that I've received. I've even tried RMA'ing other parts in my system that were not defective and working properly, and the issue still persists while using the GTX 980 FTW.

Honestly, just get rid of the card and get another one. Seeing as RMA isn't a sure fire thing, You will probably be happier to put this whole situation behind You by getting either another model SC/Classified or a card from another vendor. 

Edit: After selling the RMA'd card of course. Or You could ask EVGA directly if You could get an SC. Don't know if they do that though. 

wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:20:50 (permalink)
deuce985
wickedwayne
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985
Jshiver90
deuce985

PSU problems
GPU just dying
Bad RAM
BIOS

bcavnaugh

I actually got a mix of both with my problems. I would sometimes get a driver crash and then it would recover or sometimes I would get the black screen where I'd have to reset my PC. Most of the time I could get back to Windows where I could see the taskbar at the bottom but I couldn't get the black image off my screen so I'd press my power button to reset it. Sometimes I could close it and other times it would just stay black like you said and I'd have to reboot it pressing power key.

My entire rig is fairly new was built in late October. Funny thing is it worked great for a few months until these problems first started cropping up in SWTOR where I'd get grey screen crashes until I underclocked. It was only until I played TW3 when I got them real bad and even underclocking no longer worked. I remember one time I got a crash, closed TW3, loaded the game back up and got like 10fps then I rebooted and it was fine until I got a black screen crash where I needed to reboot to recover. I got sick of it and after doing tests on my end the only thing I could come to a conclusion was a bad GPU.

I'd also like to note I could run benchmarks as described above flawlessly too up until TW3 came out which I think broke my GPU for good. The only game that exhibited problems for months on me was SWTOR and a simple overclock eliminated those errors for me. I think my GPU degraded over time because when I initially got it in early November I played Dragon Age Inquisition hardcore and that's a taxing game. Never experienced a problem until like late February when I tried MMO SWTOR out.

Well, at least You had Your card running for some time. I got a new one and it was straight out of the box failing. Only underclocking fixed it. At least i have the option to step up but most of those having the same issue ain't got that option anymore.

This was also my first EVGA product and will, by all likelyhood, be the last.
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:39:23 (permalink)
Well ... After chatting with EVGA support on the phone (email support sucks) their advanced tech-support assistant told me to either RMA the card or to step-up to the 980ti since they couldn't replace it with a lesser card or different product.

Guess we will see in a few weeks if this fixes the issue.
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 21:48:19 (permalink)
Jshiver90
Well ... After chatting with EVGA support on the phone (email support sucks) their advanced tech-support assistant told me to either RMA the card or to step-up to the 980ti since they couldn't replace it with a lesser card or different product.

So You are effectively in the same position as i am. Congrats. No seriously, let's hope for the best. 

Edit: Also, if the 980ti works without issues out of the box, we know what the exactly the problem was, right?
post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/03 21:52:54
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 22:03:23 (permalink)
wickedwayne
Jshiver90

So You are effectively in the same position as i am. Congrats. No seriously, let's hope for the best. 

Edit: Also, if the 980ti works without issues out of the box, we know what the exactly the problem was, right?

Well, if a GTX 660 OC works fine out of the box ...
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/03 22:07:00 (permalink)
Jshiver90
wickedwayne
Jshiver90

Well, if a GTX 660 OC works fine out of the box ...

You are right.

Edit: Nevermind.

post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/03 22:11:42
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 04:25:26 (permalink)
I think there are problems with the FTW series, possibly due to the locked voltage on the cards themselves. EVGA has a high belief in using less TDP while still OC'ing. Seems like the cards "want" to get more juice (volts), and when they try to get more  juice, the firmware on the card (for lack of better words) prevents it from getting any more, causing driver crashes, resulting in going back to desktop (and/or needing to reset PC.), which then causes the GPU's utilization to drop back to "0". Does the GPU become functional again once it goes to zero?

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 07:05:44 (permalink)
stalinx20
I think there are problems with the FTW series, possibly due to the locked voltage on the cards themselves. EVGA has a high belief in using less TDP while still OC'ing. Seems like the cards "want" to get more juice (volts), and when they try to get more  juice, the firmware on the card (for lack of better words) prevents it from getting any more, causing driver crashes, resulting in going back to desktop (and/or needing to reset PC.), which then causes the GPU's utilization to drop back to "0". Does the GPU become functional again once it goes to zero?

No. I have to completely remove power from the GPU in order for it to become functional again.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 07:23:18 (permalink)
Jshiver90
stalinx20

No. I have to completely remove power from the GPU in order for it to become functional again.

Well, since they won't give you a GPU other than the FTW as a replacement, the chances are you getting the same issue are pretty high as everybody else had the exact same problem when they got their replacement. Consider the 980ti stepup. I know that's not what you want to hear... Try doing an RMA, or just use MSI Afterburner and downclock your card by 200mhz (see if that works)

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 07:25:42 (permalink)
stalinx20
Jshiver90
stalinx20

Well, since they won't give you a GPU other than the FTW as a replacement, the chances are you getting the same issue are pretty high as everybody else had the exact same problem when they got their replacement. Consider the 980ti stepup. I know that's not what you want to hear... Try doing an RMA, or just use MSI Afterburner and downclock your card by 200mhz (see if that works)

I've already downclocked the card, and it fixes the issue 100%.

I've also already began the step-up to the 980ti, since this seems to be a recurring problem with the FTW cards.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 07:32:14 (permalink)
Jshiver90
stalinx20
Jshiver90
stalinx20

I've also already began the step-up to the 980ti, since this seems to be a recurring problem with the FTW cards.

Sorry that the card didn't work out for you. I would consider just getting reference models from here on and just OC the reference models. it's pretty much what EVGA does and then they slap FTW on it.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 07:37:11 (permalink)
stalinx20
Jshiver90
stalinx20
Jshiver90
stalinx20

Sorry that the card didn't work out for you. I would consider just getting reference models from here on and just OC the reference models. it's pretty much what EVGA does and then they slap FTW on it.

Yeah, I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to overclocking, and that's why I typically invest a little more money into a card that comes OC'd from the factory. However, that's given me problems with the last four cards I've received from EVGA, so I definitely won't be making that mistake again.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 07:50:59 (permalink)
Jshiver90
stalinx20
Jshiver90
stalinx20
Jshiver90
stalinx20

Yeah, I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to overclocking, and that's why I typically invest a little more money into a card that comes OC'd from the factory. However, that's given me problems with the last four cards I've received from EVGA, so I definitely won't be making that mistake again.

Ok, what I would probably do with that then is get one that's in the middle of the road, like the SSC models or SC model. I generally see less people have problems with those.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/04 11:44:50 (permalink)
Let's welcome another friend. http://forums.evga.com/gtx-980-ftw-driver-update-problem-m2345376.aspx

Mr_slippy
The only crashes I have been getting are goofy black screen crashes while playing games. Only my 980 does this. Swapping my 670 in leads to no issues. In Witcher 3 especially, even walking over certain textures leads to a black screen crash with 'no device detected' popping on my monitor. Rig stays running, led on the GPU stays lit. One thing to note is that I am on a Sabertooth with the fancy diagnostic LEDs. Every time one of these goofy crashes happens, the motherboard runs through a diagnostic and always lands on the GPU light and stays there

sectek
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/07 10:36:27 (permalink)
I am another user with this confirmed issue.  It only presented when gliding in the MMO, Archeage but did so consistently.   I don't have any other high end games installed currently as it's a new build.  FYI, Archeage does have probably the best graphics of any MMO on the market and you use the glider a lot in the game.

This is a brand pc:
Maximus Hero VII
16GB G.skill 8GBXL
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
EVGA 1000W Platinum PS

I called EVGA support and they had me run a benchmark but mainly looked at everything but the video card. 

So in isolating the issue I replaced the power supply and all cables and removed 1 memory module at a time.  Issue still presented.  I RMA'd the 980 to Newegg and in the week or so while I waited on the new card I used an ATI 5770 with zero crashes.  When the new card arrived it started crashing again.

As soon as I underclocked the card -200mhz gpu and -50 memory offset the issue went away.

I will be contacting EVGA support for a different but comparable model card.  I expect them to acknowledge this issue and address it appropriately.  I do know EVGA has a good reputation but there is an issue with this card.  I paid for that extra 200mhz and I expect to get it and I don't expect to waste anymore of my time on this issue at this point.

*edit to add that I did install latest drivers: 353.06.  Also monitored temps throughout issue (cpu and gpu below 70c).  Voltage is rock solid. 

I have submitted a ticket with this information and waiting on a response from support.
post edited by sectek - 2015/06/07 11:07:01
Antizm
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/07 11:25:28 (permalink)
sectek
I am another user with this confirmed issue.  It only presented when gliding in the MMO, Archeage but did so consistently.   I don't have any other high end games installed currently as it's a new build.  FYI, Archeage does have probably the best graphics of any MMO on the market and you use the glider a lot in the game.

This is a brand pc:
Maximus Hero VII
16GB G.skill 8GBXL
Samsung 1TB 850 Pro
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
EVGA 1000W Platinum PS

I called EVGA support and they had me run a benchmark but mainly looked at everything but the video card. 

So in isolating the issue I replaced the power supply and all cables and removed 1 memory module at a time.  Issue still presented.  I RMA'd the 980 to Newegg and in the week or so while I waited on the new card I used an ATI 5770 with zero crashes.  When the new card arrived it started crashing again.

As soon as I underclocked the card -200mhz gpu and -50 memory offset the issue went away.

I will be contacting EVGA support for a different but comparable model card.  I expect them to acknowledge this issue and address it appropriately.  I do know EVGA has a good reputation but there is an issue with this card.  I paid for that extra 200mhz and I expect to get it and I don't expect to waste anymore of my time on this issue at this point.

*edit to add that I did install latest drivers: 353.06.  Also monitored temps throughout issue (cpu and gpu below 70c).  Voltage is rock solid. 

I have submitted a ticket with this information and waiting on a response from support.

Funny you mention this because Archage was the most noticeable problem game I've had with my 980 FTW. I had problems with other games but this one would hard BSOD my computer. After downclocking the GPU by -250MHz -250MHz memory everything is running flawless. No TDRs, BSOD, or screen lockups. I'm sure I could fine tune the clock and slowly add more MHz. But I'm already in the queue for step-up so I'm just going to live with it until I get my Ti.

GTX 980 FTW have some serious stability issues with there clocks.
Jshiver90
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/07 11:26:30 (permalink)
Unfortunately, EVGA won't acknowledge that it's a problem with the card's settings and/or it's BIOS, even after I replaced multiple parts in my PC and even RMA'd non-defective parts from other vendors. They've refused to replace the FTW card with another version, and insist the only option I have it to use their step-up program to the 980ti, pay an extra $100 for shipping+cost difference, and wait several weeks without a working GPU in the interim. In the meantime, I'm relegated to using my old GTX 660 OC.  They have offered to RMA the FTW and replace it with another FTW, but I don't see how that would remedy the issue after two cards have already failed.

While I'm sure there are FTW cards without issues, there are a few too many people with the same problem to be a coincidence, especially since down clocking has fixed my issue 100% with both cards.

I've had BSOD issues in multiple games: FFXIV, TW3, PoE, and Warframe.
post edited by Jshiver90 - 2015/06/07 11:31:13
sectek
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/07 11:30:48 (permalink)
Jshiver90
Unfortunately, EVGA won't acknowledge that it's a problem with the card's settings and/or it's BIOS, even after I replaced multiple parts in my PC and even RMA'd non-defective parts from other vendors. They've refused to replace the FTW card with another version, and insist the only option I have it to use their step-up program to the 980ti, pay an extra $100 for shipping+cost difference, and wait several weeks in the interim. In the meantime, I'm relegated to using my old GTX 660 OC.  They have offered to RMA the FTW and replace it with another FTW, but I don't see how that would remedy the issue after two cards have already failed.

While I'm sure there are FTW cards without issues, there are a few too many people with the same problem to be a coincidence, especially since down clocking has fixed my issue 100% with both cards.

Well, I'm going to give them the opportunity to do the right thing.  But between Newegg and my cc, I have contingency plans.  I've always bought ATI but wanted the best on this build and since nvidia is leading by 10-15% I went with them.  Either I get another model nvidia card or I will get my money back and go back to ATI. 
sectek
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/07 11:41:12 (permalink)
Antizm

Funny you mention this because Archage was the most noticeable problem game I've had with my 980 FTW. I had problems with other games but this one would hard BSOD my computer. After downclocking the GPU by -250MHz -250MHz memory everything is running flawless. No TDRs, BSOD, or screen lockups. I'm sure I could fine tune the clock and slowly add more MHz. But I'm already in the queue for step-up so I'm just going to live with it until I get my Ti.

GTX 980 FTW have some serious stability issues with there clocks.

Yeah, I believe it is that the pc demands of the game (AA) are higher than any other MMO on the market.  Interestingly, I had a 7950 and 5770 that ran it that never crashed.  Obviously I had the settings lower but they never crashed.  Even turning the settings down on the 980 didn't eliminate the crash.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 03:02:06 (permalink)
Jshiver90
Unfortunately, EVGA won't acknowledge that it's a problem with the card's settings and/or it's BIOS, even after I replaced multiple parts in my PC and even RMA'd non-defective parts from other vendors. They've refused to replace the FTW card with another version, and insist the only option I have it to use their step-up program to the 980ti, pay an extra $100 for shipping+cost difference, and wait several weeks without a working GPU in the interim. In the meantime, I'm relegated to using my old GTX 660 OC.  They have offered to RMA the FTW and replace it with another FTW, but I don't see how that would remedy the issue after two cards have already failed.

It's real unfortunate that they literally make you go through the hassle of going through a step-up (that's really the "warranty", huh EVGA.........?) What's the cost of you doing that? They should have the option of offering the customers of going to a lower card, such as SC or reference.  So if the warranty doesn't work, in which it doesn't for the FTW, because we already know the outcome when they 'replace' you the one you have, then you are pretty much made (forced) to buy a step-up because the card you purchased doesn't work. All because the manager won't approve of you receiving the SC or reference? I'm not surprised that a single Tech has not said "boo" to any thread related to the 980 FTW.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/08 03:25:54

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 03:49:52 (permalink)
Jshiver90

I'd press the issue. They offered that option for me. Granted I was 4 RMA's deep and $70 in the hole from shipping out my 1440p monitor which they thought could have been defective (it was not).  Telling you to spend another $120 to upgrade to a better card is not a solution its a cop out.  If you don't want to spend the money, tell them they need to give you a 980 SC and either make up the difference by providing you a backplate or giving you a refund of the difference. If the tier 1 support reps cannot help you, reach out to Jayson or the supervisor.
post edited by Stephenk291 - 2015/06/08 03:51:53

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 03:59:14 (permalink)
Stephenk291
Jshiver90

I'd press the issue. They offered that option for me. Granted I was 4 RMA's deep and $70 in the hole from shipping out my 1440p monitor which they thought could have been defective (it was not).  Telling you to spend another $120 to upgrade to a better card is not a solution its a cop out.  If you don't want to spend the money, tell them they need to give you a 980 SC and either make up the difference by providing you a backplate or giving you a refund of the difference. If the tier 1 support reps cannot help you, reach out to Jayson or the supervisor.

I saw a couple posts earlier that the supervisor was declining (yes declining) the authorization to give SC or reference replacements.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 04:04:43 (permalink)
stalinx20
Stephenk291
Jshiver90

I saw a couple posts earlier that the supervisor was declining (yes declining) the authorization to give SC or reference replacements.

Well I won't speculate without proof but if that's the case that's pretty ass backwards. There is no difference between them having their RMA dept guy walk to Bin A to grab a 980 SC versus him going to bin B to grab a 980 FTW. Heck they could even do the bare amount which is let you downgrade and then not refund you the difference.  It's like pulling teeth dealing with the RMA process sometimes when it really can be much more simple. I get the point of not making one time exceptions policies but in this case, this card clearly has issues and the massive amount of threads dedicated to similar issues with one series of the 980 makes that case very firm.
I'll be the first one to give EVGA praise when its due but they clearly need to be viewing these 980 FTW cases and if their tracking their volume of 980 FTW RMA's (which they should be) they should have all the numbers they need. Considering these threads on EVGA are just a sample size of the vast amount of people with the card I bet I could google 980 FTW voltage lock + crashing + blackscreen and get a few pages worth.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

djmorgan
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 05:18:42 (permalink)

Stephenk291
 I bet I could google 980 FTW voltage lock + crashing + blackscreen and get a few pages worth.

Nope just did it and only got posts here but try it yourself

David 

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 @3.68GHZ CPU
1 X EVGA GTX 980 FTW
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 1600MHz
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel 240Gb 510 SSD
2 x Seagate ST31000524AS 1Tb @ 7200rpm
Dual 24" 144Hz 2Ms 1920 x 1080 monitors
Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 05:50:41 (permalink)
djmorgan

Stephenk291
 I bet I could google 980 FTW voltage lock + crashing + blackscreen and get a few pages worth.

David 

Thanks buzz killington.

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: GTX 980 FTW Crashing 2015/06/08 06:01:23 (permalink)
Stephenk291
djmorgan

Stephenk291

David 

Thanks buzz killington.

lmao.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile