Helpful ReplyEVGA Folding @ Home Year 12

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 15
Author
Chris21010
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1587
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 15:08:25 (permalink)
i can see your argument slightly when it comes to newcomers that just bought an EVGA GPU. but anyone who buys a GPU better than a 1070 will be able to hit that 25M mark with 1 GPU. a 1070 can do ~21M a month so maybe lowing that 2nd tier to 20M to include those with a 1070 would be advantageous. 

Holdolin
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 15:13:49 (permalink)
kram36
Holdolin
bcavnaugh
troy8d
Clearly kram36 is only looking at "what's in it for me."  Its nice to gain some insight into the viewpoint of a purely bucks folder.

Sad but True for most who Fold only for Bucks.

What I find truly sad is the apparent idea that folding for EVGA is some sort of job that is required, like they are in people's houses threatening <insert bad things here> if they don't fold.  Look, this is a total volunteer project; a charity.  If you don't want to fold then don't.  Nobody is forcing you do do anything.  In my opinion folding for bucks is as bout as smart as eating tide pods.  You'd be FAR better served mining coin if your goal is to make money with your hardware (thanks kram36 for those numbers on your mining).

You're welcome, but it's not about the money. It's about supporting a financial system that allows us to be our own banks, in control of our money and it can't be taken away. To me, this is the upmost importance for our future.

EDIT: Also thank you for not trying to throw me under the bus as some have tried with what they think my equipment should be used for. I believe I have contributed a lot of my life and money to folding.

No prob.  We may not see eye to eye on everything, but I firmly believe it's your choice to do with your equipment as you see fit.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 15:51:47 (permalink)
Chris21010
i can see your argument slightly when it comes to newcomers that just bought an EVGA GPU. but anyone who buys a GPU better than a 1070 will be able to hit that 25M mark with 1 GPU. a 1070 can do ~21M a month so maybe lowing that 2nd tier to 20M to include those with a 1070 would be advantageous. 

You mean also Folding 7 Days a Week 24 Hours a Day for the Complete Month as well Correct?
I have posted in this Thread what a Single GTX 1080 Ti can do so it is no real help when it comes to Members that only Fold a few days a week.
This in turn would make the Members Computer useless for doing regular work and No Gaming so what is even the point?

We have no one even Close to what you can Fold in One Month.

We have no one even Close to what you can Fold in One Day.
My Point is that we are not Miners, not that it matters mind you.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/02/19 16:26:59

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Carbon-12
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 16:45:31 (permalink)
While a points increase was needed, this is increase seems excessive.
Why haven't there not been a increase in bucks?
The price of top Nvidia cards have tripled in cost in the last 11 years. Also electricity and everything has increased.

post edited by Carbon-12 - 2019/02/19 17:00:24

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 17:28:27 (permalink)
Carbon-12
The price of top Nvidia cards have tripled in cost in the last 11 years. Also electricity and everything has increased.

What would you recommend?

Carbon-12
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 17:46:41 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Carbon-12

Tier 1 : 5m  7 EVGA Bucks
Tier 2 : 10m 7 EVGA Bucks

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11147
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 20:56:31 (permalink)
Carbon-12
bcavnaugh
Carbon-12

I like that idea. 
5m,10m,15m for 5 bucks each or 3m,6,9,12,15m for 3 bucks each for those that can not fold everyday or  do not have 1080Ti are not shut out.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 21:11:24 (permalink)
bill1024
Carbon-12
bcavnaugh
Carbon-12

I like that idea. 
5m,10m,15m for 5 bucks each or 3m,6,9,12,15m for 3 bucks each for those that can not fold everyday or  do not have 1080Ti are not shut out.

Now we are cooking!

Repeating what I said earlier in the thread as it falls inline with these last few suggestions...

This is a cut and paste to what I suggested directly to EVGA (Literally)...

I strongly believe and will continue to advocate for, a third tier. If $10 is the max EVGA wishes to offer after all these years...

5Mil = $4
10Mil = $3
25mil = $3

Or, raise the bar and create a buzz and go this route...

5Mil = $4
10Mil = $6
30mil = $10

Azuroth
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 21:18:48 (permalink)
Afterburner
bill1024
Carbon-12
bcavnaugh
Carbon-12

I like that idea. 

Now we are cooking!

Repeating what I said earlier in the thread as it falls inline with these last few suggestions...

This is a cut and paste to what I suggested directly to EVGA (Literally)...

I strongly believe and will continue to advocate for, a third tier. If $10 is the max EVGA wishes to offer after all these years...

5Mil = $4
10Mil = $3
25mil = $3

Or, raise the bar and create a buzz and go this route...

5Mil = $4
10Mil = $6
30mil = $10

That does raise the price of the program from EVGA's side though.  They may not be able to do that this year, at least if my wrangling with bean counters carries over to other corporations.

However, I do like the more granular approach.  Maybe they could just slice up the highest tier (say 15M for argument sake) into ten buckets, and each one is worth one buck. 
Every 1.5M in this example would then be worth 1 EVGA buck.  The redemption interface would take a little bit of work, because I doubt anyone wants to click on ten claim buttons (or approve 10x number of users either), but a script to verify a username's total points shouldn't take more than 4 hours of dev work.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/19 21:56:49 (permalink)
@ Azuroth 

{Other Corporations} Like Who?

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 02:37:07 (permalink)
Some feedback from me.  I've spent the last few hours going over folding numbers, PPD, making spreadsheets (got 'em all printed out on my bedsheets)...yeah, clearly I don't have a life.

Some general items first -

A folder's motivation has no factor in selecting point totals.  The program was founded as a way to support folders, create incentive to encourage people to learn more about folding, and even bring in people who were interested in just earning EVGA Bucks.  Similarly, we are not trying to figure out who are the "true folders" for team evga by setting point totals that "only a dedicated folder" would be willing to hit.  No, not the case.  We're just trying to set point totals that make sense.  Hopefully we'll get there this year.

1. No 3-tier systems, or "Bucks for every X million points" this year.  While that might be something to look at in the future (and I agree those are interesting ideas!), we won't have time for it this year. This year will have 2-tiers.
2. Bucks total will still be 10 Bucks max for Tier 1 and Tier 2 combined.  Can't raise them this year.
3. I think we can drop the points a little, but it won't be by much.  I'll discuss some of this below, and the challenges with setting point totals, but that's the deal.  
4. As mentioned before, a gradual change similar to the last several years is not a possibility for this year, neither is simply doubling the total from Year 11.  
5. I am curious what you guys think of dropping Tier 1 (the lower tier) down to 3 or 4 EVGA Bucks, in exchange for a lower Tier 1 total (maybe 6.5m/7m or lower?), with a higher Bucks and point total for Tier 2 (still maximum of 10 per month for Tier 1 + Tier 2).  Not the current plan, but I am curious if you guys might think it's a fair compromise.

I point those things out not to discourage anyone, but to note that these are ultimately the constraints that I'm working with to come up with final numbers.  Of course, if anyone has an idea that blows this away, please share it by all means.

Otherwise, I took a look at theoretical PPD totals from a variety of angles.  For example, PPD at 24/7, 20H, 16H of running, and at different points totals per tiers.  Yes, this does change the lower-end threshold for some hardware.  But here's the problem that I'll circle back to - any numbers I run (including the community feedback), or any final decision we make, will be based on imperfect information.  Specifically, it's the 4 million point question.  

I took a large number of random samples by clicking on dozens of members while looking at the EVGA folding team, and, although there are some exceptions, here are my impressions:
  • Generally our top 450 members (by 24H PPD average) seem to hit the 4 million mark regularly.
    • Obviously, there are exceptions.  After 450, the number of people hitting 4 million drops off quite a bit, so I'm using 450 as a rough benchmark.
  • I expected to see it trickle off to a number of people hitting 2 million and slowly sliding into below tier 1, but not so much.
    • If anything, it seems like it's 4 million, or people aren't even trying to hit the 2 million mark.  Some exceptions, of course.
  • Although plenty of people do run 24/7, many people also turn Folding on for a few days, hit 4 million, then shut down.
    • We all knew that, however.  
    • However, even for those that run for most of the month, once they hit 4 million, folding shuts down right after.  Again, some exceptions, but those are the guys hitting mega-points every month.
  • Lastly, I generally ignored the current 24H and weekly totals for members, since it has little meaning if people aren't trying to hit their points totals for the month.
Much as I alluded to in my first post, we may just have to set a points total and see how things shake out.  For many of our folding members, 4 million is the total they hit and then shut down.  A still healthy percentage of you continue folding regardless, and large block of you fold even though you have no chance of making 2 million points, let alone 4 million.  As a result, we can't really look at accurate folding totals overall for the team for daily or weekly totals.  The results are heavily, heavily skewed towards a cap on 4 million for most people.  This means that we don't have good data on how many points people are willing to fold for, how much their hardware is capable of folding, or any other trends that should factor into our decision.  The only way to get this sort of data is to see what happens after we raise the point total.  Hardly ideal, I agree, but we won't know until we try.

Whatever we decide (and it should be by this week), I think we'll still monitor the number of people that hit the targets and reserve the right to adjust the numbers up or down depending on the results.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31072
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 03:23:40 (permalink)
Interesting analysis Lee, thank you for sharing 

I like the ides in #5 - It rewards the higher goal with a larger reward, while making the first tier easier to reach 

If I am understanding this correctly - it "could" look something like this: (total is still 35m to reach 10 EVGA Bucks)

Tier 1 : 6m (6,000,000) (3 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2 : 29m (29,000,000) (7 EVGA Bucks)

--------------------------------------------------------------
(from post #1) potential new Goals

Tier 1 : 10m (10,000,000) (5 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2 : 25m (25,000,000) (5 EVGA Bucks)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

(from post #123)

"5. I am curious what you guys think of dropping Tier 1 (the lower tier) down to 3 or 4 EVGA Bucks, in exchange for a lower Tier 1 total (maybe 6.5m/7m or lower?), with a higher Bucks and point total for Tier 2 (still maximum of 10 per month for Tier 1 + Tier 2).  Not the current plan, but I am curious if you guys might think it's a fair compromise."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 04:17:41 (permalink)
Azuroth

That does raise the price of the program from EVGA's side though.  They may not be able to do that this year, at least if my wrangling with bean counters carries over to other corporations.

However, I do like the more granular approach.  Maybe they could just slice up the highest tier (say 15M for argument sake) into ten buckets, and each one is worth one buck. 
Every 1.5M in this example would then be worth 1 EVGA buck.  The redemption interface would take a little bit of work, because I doubt anyone wants to click on ten claim buttons (or approve 10x number of users either), but a script to verify a username's total points shouldn't take more than 4 hours of dev work.

Good suggestion!

Cool GTX
Interesting analysis Lee, thank you for sharing 

I like the ides in #5 - It rewards the higher goal with a larger reward, while making the first tier easier to reach 

If I am understanding this correctly - it "could" look something like this: (total is still 35m to reach 10 EVGA Bucks)

Tier 1 : 4m (4,000,000) (4 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2 : 30m (30,000,000) (6 EVGA Bucks)

^^ This! (I tweaked some numbers)

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 06:15:10 (permalink)
Its nice to know that EVGA has thoughtfully considered all aspects of the folding promotion and is willing to make dynamic adjustments to tweak the program this year as it undergoes a large change in points.  Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this Lee!

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
Tiger770
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 626
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 09:08:22 (permalink)
I realize what I am about to post will not be popular, and I am prepared to be raked over the coals by many of the truly indoctrinated members of the team.  However I have tried to be as diplomatic about my response as possible, so I would ask that you keep that in mind as you read on.

As a folder since year 3 (and having taken years 7 and 8 off), I've been contributing to this project for 6 ish years, or just over half the lifespan of the program.  The folding goals have always been a give and take.  A jump with large numbers that edged out lower end hardware and encouraged people to upgrade.  I get it.  It makes financial sense to edge higher and higher on a tic-toc refresh cycle. It also keeps us moving forward as a team.

Having said that, I will comment that the best GPU in my house is currently the 1070Ti - which by itself is lucky to hit 750K a day.  As one of the top 5 GPUs in nVidia's lineup, I would think that it should be able to hit the top goal with 100% monthly dedicated folding, as that's how many of the previous years goals were structured.  However, it can not.  At an average of 750K I'd be looking at 22.5 million over a 30 day span.  To me, this seems to be setting up the Bucks program for an exclusive 'boys club' of people with either the bleeding edge enthusiast grade hardware, or those who have multiple boxes setup to fold and are doing so for more reasons than just the $10 "thank you."  We can argue about the reason behind the intent of contributing but let's not.

Let's not step into the moral high ground box here, let's talk about it in terms of what it is.  Bragging rights and recognition.  EVGA has been near the top of the leaderboard for years since the implementation of this program due in large part to making the tiers reachable by your average everyday non-dedicated folders.  By allowing someone in years past with a 570 or 970 to hit the top tier goals with 3-4 weeks of folding, they have attracted a much larger user base that can contribute to keeping them atop the leaderboard.  My concern for this program's continuation would be the alienation of those everyday non-dedicated folders in an attempt to make a large jump all at once.  

What does the data behind this 10 million / 25 million say?  What percentage of the active folding base currently hits 25 million a week?  What percentage hits 10 million a week?  How would the numbers look after the inevitable drop off when people with one system or people with several older systems realize that even folding 24/7 they'd be at risk (a power outage, a windows update) of not making the 25 million inside a month?  A steep decline in participation would likely spell the end for the program if the goals were high enough that even buying a dedicated 2080Ti would barely reach the top tier.  This is my fear for the team and program if the increases were to continue along these lines of reasoning.

Perhaps a better alternative to "here are the goals we've set and they are 5x the base and 6x the top, and we can adjust them down if needed" would be to stage your increase throughout the year.  If you'd like a larger jump, maybe go from 2mil / 4mil tiers to 7mil / 20mil for the first quarter or six months, evaluate the success of that change, and then jump again midway through the year if those goals are still easily reachable.

TLDR:  
Seems like this would alienate a lot of everyday folders in an attempt to incentivize the people with hardware who - let's be honest - don't need $10 / month in bucks.  Instead of making a huge jump at the risk of dialing it back, roll it out in stages.

Year 12 - Q1 /Q2
Tier 1:  7 Million  (up 3.5x from 2 million)
Tier 2:  20 Million (up 5x from 4 million)

Year 12 - Q3 / Q4
Tier 1:  10 Million (up 5x from 2 million)
Tier 2:  25 Million (up ~6x from 4 million)
post edited by Tiger770 - 2019/02/20 09:37:24

EVGA_Lee
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 09:23:24 (permalink)
Tiger770
[...]

TLDR:  
Seems like this would alienate a lot of everyday folders in an attempt to incentivize the people with hardware who - let's be honest - don't need $10 / month in bucks.  Instead of making a huge jump at the risk of dialing it back, roll it out in stages.

Year 12 - Q1 /Q2

Year 12 - Q3 / Q4
Tier 2:  25 Million (up ~6x from 4 million

The portion removed is noted and appreciated. 

This idea is actually something I hadn't considered.  Thank you!
gbaker3
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 09:25:50 (permalink)
After reading this entire thread, I'd like to elaborate on my experience while folding. I am definitely someone who stops after I hit the second tier total. That being said, I wouldn't say that I "fold for the bucks". Given electricity costs I absolutely do not make money on the EVGA bucks promotion, not even taking into account the additional wear and tear on the system. For me the bucks allow me to fold for causes that I care about, while at the same time having the ability to offset those monthly costs.

My previous rig I had built in 2005 and due to the changing nature of the [link=mailto:F@H]F@H[/link] landscape I did have to stop for a while as it didn't make sense for me to keep folding. Then in 2016 I finally had the opportunity to build a new gaming PC. I used the EVGA bucks I had collected in the past to partially pay for my new Z170 mobo, and when I finally got the rig together I immediately started folding for team EVGA again.

Without the bucks promotion I would probably keep folding, but the nice thing about the promotion is it gives me a goal to work towards. I am by no means a prolific member of the EVGA folding community, but I do like participating in the contests when I can and when I do it is always fun! I think the bottom line is that EVGA's motivation for why they provide the bucks program must be taken into account. If their motivation is to help the cause, then it should be our motivation to help them help the cause. It is hard in the same breath say that we are in it for the cure, while at the same time complain that the points required are too high and we'll no longer get our bucks. I believe that most people here are looking for that balance between motivation and reward. I want to see this program continue since it really is good for the cause. A points increase is definitely warranted, but not so high that it scares people away. And ultimately I believe that EVGA wants to attract folders, not lose them, otherwise there would be no program at all.

To put some actual content in here, I would also agree that 8M/16M is a good threshold to set. I have a fairly average to above average gaming rig (Z170/6700k/GTX1070) and this would allow me to fold for EVGA while still being able to use my only PC for gaming which is really the reason I built it in the first place.

Thank you EVGA for supporting us and for taking our feedback into account while you make these decisions.

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11147
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 09:40:07 (permalink)
How about 5m and 20m for 5 and 5. I believe that is still a drastic increase but somewhat reasonable.
25 up to 30m  is way too much for a first year increase over 2/4. That there is dedicated 24/7/365 folders.
Start with that and see what happens over the year, then adjust if necessary 
20M is 645,000 PPD to make it every month. So whats that, a 1070ti or better running 24/7?

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Tiger770
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 626
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 09:44:35 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
Tiger770
[...]

TLDR:  

Year 12 - Q1 /Q2

Year 12 - Q3 / Q4
Tier 2:  25 Million (up ~6x from 4 million

The portion removed is noted and appreciated. 

This idea is actually something I hadn't considered.  Thank you!

Thank you to yourself and everyone at EVGA for letting this be a discussion to determine the best possible outcome for the program and the team as a whole.  In the end, science benefits either way - but if we can have fun along the way (chimp challenge, Time Zone Challenge, etc), that's a sweet bonus for morale.

Holdolin
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 10:32:06 (permalink)
Tiger770
I realize what I am about to post will not be popular, and I am prepared to be raked over the coals by many of the truly indoctrinated members of the team.  However I have tried to be as diplomatic about my response as possible, so I would ask that you keep that in mind as you read on.

As a folder since year 3 (and having taken years 7 and 8 off), I've been contributing to this project for 6 ish years, or just over half the lifespan of the program.  The folding goals have always been a give and take.  A jump with large numbers that edged out lower end hardware and encouraged people to upgrade.  I get it.  It makes financial sense to edge higher and higher on a tic-toc refresh cycle. It also keeps us moving forward as a team.

Having said that, I will comment that the best GPU in my house is currently the 1070Ti - which by itself is lucky to hit 750K a day.  As one of the top 5 GPUs in nVidia's lineup, I would think that it should be able to hit the top goal with 100% monthly dedicated folding, as that's how many of the previous years goals were structured.  However, it can not.  At an average of 750K I'd be looking at 22.5 million over a 30 day span.  To me, this seems to be setting up the Bucks program for an exclusive 'boys club' of people with either the bleeding edge enthusiast grade hardware, or those who have multiple boxes setup to fold and are doing so for more reasons than just the $10 "thank you."  We can argue about the reason behind the intent of contributing but let's not.

Let's not step into the moral high ground box here, let's talk about it in terms of what it is.  Bragging rights and recognition.  EVGA has been near the top of the leaderboard for years since the implementation of this program due in large part to making the tiers reachable by your average everyday non-dedicated folders.  By allowing someone in years past with a 570 or 970 to hit the top tier goals with 3-4 weeks of folding, they have attracted a much larger user base that can contribute to keeping them atop the leaderboard.  My concern for this program's continuation would be the alienation of those everyday non-dedicated folders in an attempt to make a large jump all at once.  

What does the data behind this 10 million / 25 million say?  What percentage of the active folding base currently hits 25 million a week?  What percentage hits 10 million a week?  How would the numbers look after the inevitable drop off when people with one system or people with several older systems realize that even folding 24/7 they'd be at risk (a power outage, a windows update) of not making the 25 million inside a month?  A steep decline in participation would likely spell the end for the program if the goals were high enough that even buying a dedicated 2080Ti would barely reach the top tier.  This is my fear for the team and program if the increases were to continue along these lines of reasoning.

Perhaps a better alternative to "here are the goals we've set and they are 5x the base and 6x the top, and we can adjust them down if needed" would be to stage your increase throughout the year.  If you'd like a larger jump, maybe go from 2mil / 4mil tiers to 7mil / 20mil for the first quarter or six months, evaluate the success of that change, and then jump again midway through the year if those goals are still easily reachable.

TLDR:  

Year 12 - Q1 /Q2

Year 12 - Q3 / Q4
Tier 2:  25 Million (up ~6x from 4 million)

I don't have a problem with your suggestions, as you are just as entitled to input as the rest of us.  I have a problem with your logic.  "Let's not step onto the moral high ground"...Let's be honest, don't need $10/month.  Since I am the #3 producer I must assume that your second quoted statement is directed at myself and the other top producers.  Who the <radio edit> are you to say what I do or do not need?  Let me tell you something: only a fool turns away free money; and I did not get where I am by being silly with my family's money.

As I said before, I am grateful for this program.  I am also grateful to be in the positions to donate as I do.  I swear it seems like just yesterday my wife and I had to choose to feed the kids and eat a box of ramen for our dinner (or simply go without).  We made our mistakes.  We learned.  Anyway, before I digress into a history lesson that most (or none) of you feel like hearing I support your right to your input on the numbers.  I support your right to make your choices with your hardware (fold or do other things).  I do NOT support you decisions on who does/does not need $10/month.  I been doing this since before my wife graduated med school, back when the choice to donate was a serious shot to what little income we had.  Even then I did not look to the top producers and thing "gee, they don't need free money".
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 11:07:25 (permalink)
Is there any way to script a third option? To set a minimum like 10 million for tier 1 and then a goal of 20 million for tier 2 or proof of consistent folding. That way a day or 2 of missed folding for whatever reason doesn't void the tier 2 rewards. You are already tracking the points daily for the entire group of folders. You could also try baking in a 2 evga buck reward for steady folders that don't hit tier 1.

I agree though that only a fool turns down free money. My budget gets strained by many things and I'm not always able to go at it 24/7. So I appreciate everything EVGA does to help support us.

Thanks guys.

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 11:37:29 (permalink)
Holdolin
We made our mistakes.  We learned.  Anyway, before I digress into a history lesson that most (or none) of you feel like hearing

Off topic, but I would be interested in hearing

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
castrator86
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 816
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 11:37:40 (permalink)
I almost wonder if maybe setting a hard points threshold is the wrong way to look at this going forward?

Maybe go with a more flexible model using the folding rankings on the team.. Et al:

Top 10% of that month's folders: 10 bucks
10-20%: 7 bucks
20-30%: 5 bucks
30-40%: 3 bucks
Bottom 60%: 1 or 2 bucks

Just spit-balling to find something that works to keep everyone folding & doesn't break your promotional budget.

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10347
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 12:14:15 (permalink)
A lot of great input offered lately. I think Tiger770's idea of a mid year look, and possible adjustment is very credible. Thank you Lee for being open and available in the discussion. I like others am leery of losing some of our team mates. 
DBenzer1
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 13:13:49 (permalink)
I'm really impressed, like everyone else, at the effort in reaching out to the community before implementing such a large jump.  I understand the need for a fairly dramatic increase, but keep in mind a lot of folks just bought 1060 and 1070 cards, and I'm not sure the spirit of the program should require them to fold 24/7 for the whole month to hit the 2nd tier.  20xx and 16xx card-based targets should be reserved for year 13, IMO.  I also support the idea of maybe $4/$6 for maybe 7M/21M targets (or whatever average consensus this community seems to land on).

Thanks to everyone for the discussion, it's been very interesting to follow!  Remember the goal is to incentivize folding, and this includes recruiting new folders.  I've brought several people on board to the team, but couldn't reasonably recommend it if it's a 24/7/month requirement.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 13:45:05 (permalink)
DBenzer1
I'm really impressed, like everyone else, at the effort in reaching out to the community before implementing such a large jump.  I understand the need for a fairly dramatic increase, but keep in mind a lot of folks just bought 1060 and 1070 cards, and I'm not sure the spirit of the program should require them to fold 24/7 for the whole month to hit the 2nd tier.  20xx and 16xx card-based targets should be reserved for year 13, IMO.  I also support the idea of maybe $4/$6 for maybe 7M/21M targets (or whatever average consensus this community seems to land on).

Thanks to everyone for the discussion, it's been very interesting to follow!  Remember the goal is to incentivize folding, and this includes recruiting new folders.  I've brought several people on board to the team, but couldn't reasonably recommend it if it's a 24/7/month requirement.

Nice Post

yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4648
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 13:59:33 (permalink)
I think I’ll stand with my previous suggestion of tripling the tiers. 6/12. I don’t remember that ever happening before and see no reason to blow past that by a huge margin. There’s always next year to re-adjust.

I sincerely hope everyone can continue to donate their time and money for this cause.

Azuroth
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 15:36:34 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
@ Azuroth 
{Other Corporations} Like Who?

I just mean in my professional career, getting extra money for a project or program, once it has been budgeted, is next to impossible.

yodap
I think I’ll stand with my previous suggestion of tripling the tiers. 6/12. I don’t remember that ever happening before and see no reason to blow past that by a huge margin. There’s always next year to re-adjust.

I sincerely hope everyone can continue to donate their time and money for this cause.

I like this, at least for the first half of the year, and re-evaluate around Aug/Sep.
EVGA_Lee
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 18:24:44 (permalink)
After discussions today, here are the final numbers for the entire Year 12:

Tier 1: 7 million (5 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2: 21 million (5 EVGA Bucks)

As previously noted, we'll reserve the right to adjust up or down based on the participation and numbers.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and passion for advocating for and folding for the EVGA F@H Team, as always. 
Holdolin
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Folding @ Home Year 12 2019/02/20 18:27:10 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
After discussions today, here are the final numbers for the entire Year 12:

Tier 1: 7 million (5 EVGA Bucks)
Tier 2: 21 million (5 EVGA Bucks)

As previously noted, we'll reserve the right to adjust up or down based on the participation and numbers.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and passion for advocating for and folding for the EVGA F@H Team, as always. 

Sounds good.  Thanks agian 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 15
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile