VMware && Linux bigadv folding

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 32
Author
linuxrouter
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8043
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 104
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/09 11:25:38 (permalink)
The current image has two commands similar to dos2unix called todos and fromdos.

fromdos converts from a dos text file to a unix text file

fromdos < dosfile.txt > unixfile.txt

todos converts from a unix text file to a dos text file

todos < unixfile.txt > dosfile.txt

CaseLabs M-S8 - ASRock X99 Pro - Intel 5960x 4.2 GHz - XSPC CPU WC - EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid SLI - Samsung 950 512GB - EVGA 1600w Titanium
Affiliate Code: OZJ-0TQ-41NJ
jasonanderson
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 584
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/09 15:31:17 (permalink)
TheCrazyCanuck

Welcome to the wacky world of Windows and Unix new lines.....  Long story short, Windows new lines are represented by carriage return and line feed (like a typewriter) whereas Linux and Unix use just a line feed.  This is why I requested that dos2unix be added to the next VM since it'll allow you to covert Windows formatting over.

Now you can fix this yourself by doing any of the following:

1)  Take the original file from the archive file and open it in an editor on Windows that actually preserves the correct formatting, OpenOffice does this just fine.

2)  Google search "dos2unix utility for windows" and try out any of the utilities you find.

3)  If you have a linux box copy the file there and run "dos2unix <filename>" since most linux distros come with these conversion utilities.

To find out if the original formatting is preserved you can try opening the file in notepad, if you see all the lines jammed together then you are looking at Linux formatting which is what you want.  If you see the script commands formatted line by line that means Windows formatting is being used (which is what happened to you I believe).

I always thought wordpad preserved Linux line feeds but maybe that's not the case.  I run something called Cygwin on my Windows machines which comes with dos2unix so I always end up running it over my files all the time anyway.  By the sounds of it you opened the file in VI inside the VM and made the edits there which is what I was doing most of the time so you should be all set.

For the windows share make sure to use Linux style syntax of //JASON-DESKTOP/<shared directory> I make this mistake a lot when I jump back and forth between Windows and Linux so it's probably that causing it.

Also as I found out if you run ./start_folding twice without restarting the VM the cron jobs will run twice.  Since that's redundant and chewing up folding cycles I recommend rebooting the VM before running ./start_folding again.  To reboot the command is "reboot" if I remember correctly and to shutdown the VM it's "shutdown -h now"

Well, I worked around the dos to unix situation by editing the file within the VM using vi editor.  So, all is good there.  But, it does seem that WordPad adds the carriage returns.  At least for Win 7.

I had the Linux style syntax of //JASON-DESKTOP/FAH_Backup and it still does not work.  //198.162.1.45/FAH_Backup does.  I poked around in the Samba config and saw that it had a setting of WORKGROUP for the workgroup, but my Win 7 has MSHOME.  I changed that to MSHOME and rebooted.  That did not help, but now I do see the FAH machine more easily in Win 7 network explorer.  I see some options in the Samba for WINS and some DNS reference for NetBIOS, but not sure if that is the culprit.  The IP method is working.  I doubt my router would ever give my machine a different IP, but if it did that could be an issue.  So, machine name is what I would prefer.  I am just not sure why it is not working.

Thanks for the heads up about the reboot between start_folding runs.

CPU: i7 5930K, 4.5 (125x36) with Corsair H100i | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme (1401 Bios) | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB) | Storage:  Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD (OS & Apps), 2 Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G (Data - RAID 1) | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Chassis: Cooler Master HAF X | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64

TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2194
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/09 18:13:33 (permalink)
linuxrouter

The current image has two commands similar to dos2unix called todos and fromdos.

fromdos converts from a dos text file to a unix text file

fromdos < dosfile.txt > unixfile.txt

todos converts from a unix text file to a dos text file

todos < unixfile.txt > dosfile.txt

Doh!  I was looking for the wrong command that's why.  The next time I mess with the scripts I'll add the fromdos command to the instructions since most people will be editing the file from Windows since VI is a bit tricky for new users.... I call it that Linux caveman editor myself all the time :)
TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/09 18:20:14 (permalink)
jasonanderson

TheCrazyCanuck

Welcome to the wacky world of Windows and Unix new lines.....  Long story short, Windows new lines are represented by carriage return and line feed (like a typewriter) whereas Linux and Unix use just a line feed.  This is why I requested that dos2unix be added to the next VM since it'll allow you to covert Windows formatting over.

Now you can fix this yourself by doing any of the following:

1)  Take the original file from the archive file and open it in an editor on Windows that actually preserves the correct formatting, OpenOffice does this just fine.

2)  Google search "dos2unix utility for windows" and try out any of the utilities you find.

3)  If you have a linux box copy the file there and run "dos2unix <filename>" since most linux distros come with these conversion utilities.

To find out if the original formatting is preserved you can try opening the file in notepad, if you see all the lines jammed together then you are looking at Linux formatting which is what you want.  If you see the script commands formatted line by line that means Windows formatting is being used (which is what happened to you I believe).

I always thought wordpad preserved Linux line feeds but maybe that's not the case.  I run something called Cygwin on my Windows machines which comes with dos2unix so I always end up running it over my files all the time anyway.  By the sounds of it you opened the file in VI inside the VM and made the edits there which is what I was doing most of the time so you should be all set.

For the windows share make sure to use Linux style syntax of //JASON-DESKTOP/<shared directory> I make this mistake a lot when I jump back and forth between Windows and Linux so it's probably that causing it.

Also as I found out if you run ./start_folding twice without restarting the VM the cron jobs will run twice.  Since that's redundant and chewing up folding cycles I recommend rebooting the VM before running ./start_folding again.  To reboot the command is "reboot" if I remember correctly and to shutdown the VM it's "shutdown -h now"

Well, I worked around the dos to unix situation by editing the file within the VM using vi editor.  So, all is good there.  But, it does seem that WordPad adds the carriage returns.  At least for Win 7.

I had the Linux style syntax of //JASON-DESKTOP/FAH_Backup and it still does not work.  //198.162.1.45/FAH_Backup does.  I poked around in the Samba config and saw that it had a setting of WORKGROUP for the workgroup, but my Win 7 has MSHOME.  I changed that to MSHOME and rebooted.  That did not help, but now I do see the FAH machine more easily in Win 7 network explorer.  I see some options in the Samba for WINS and some DNS reference for NetBIOS, but not sure if that is the culprit.  The IP method is working.  I doubt my router would ever give my machine a different IP, but if it did that could be an issue.  So, machine name is what I would prefer.  I am just not sure why it is not working.

Thanks for the heads up about the reboot between start_folding runs.

My homegroup happened to be called HOMEGROUP on both Vista and 7 folding machines.  Also make sure that the VM is configured for NAT instead of bridged mode.  Most virtualization software defaults to bridged but I find NAT works the best in all the network topologies I've used VMs with.
jasonanderson
SSC Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/10 02:34:22 (permalink)
TheCrazyCanuck

My homegroup happened to be called HOMEGROUP on both Vista and 7 folding machines.  Also make sure that the VM is configured for NAT instead of bridged mode.  Most virtualization software defaults to bridged but I find NAT works the best in all the network topologies I've used VMs with.

How do I check and/or change the network configuration?

I do see that if I click on the network icon in the bottom right of the window that I get an options setting and mine is bridged.  There is an option to change it to NAT there.  It says that shares the IP with the host.  Would that mean that it would have the same IP as what my router assigned my machine?

Can I change this on the fly, or do I need to stop folding and change and reboot?

Thanks for all your help.

CPU: i7 5930K, 4.5 (125x36) with Corsair H100i | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme (1401 Bios) | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB) | Storage:  Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD (OS & Apps), 2 Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G (Data - RAID 1) | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Chassis: Cooler Master HAF X | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64

TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/10 15:01:33 (permalink)
Yep that's the setting you want to change.  What that means is from outside your computer that VM IP address will look like the host it is running on.  If you have a broadband router then it uses the same technique most likely so that multiple IPs behind it look like a single one to the modem.  I think it tracks accesses and knows where they should route and that's how it keeps track of everything ...... it was new technology when I was taking networking in school so I don't know for sure how it works but for virtualization it's been the only way I can get a VM to talk properly on a network.

I would stop the VM first, edit the setting, then start it back up.  Backup your work first just to make sure shutting down the folding core doesn't cause the contents to become corrupt (I've seen that a couple of times while testing my scripts).
jasonanderson
SSC Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/10 15:24:52 (permalink)
TheCrazyCanuck

Yep that's the setting you want to change.  What that means is from outside your computer that VM IP address will look like the host it is running on.  If you have a broadband router then it uses the same technique most likely so that multiple IPs behind it look like a single one to the modem.  I think it tracks accesses and knows where they should route and that's how it keeps track of everything ...... it was new technology when I was taking networking in school so I don't know for sure how it works but for virtualization it's been the only way I can get a VM to talk properly on a network.

I would stop the VM first, edit the setting, then start it back up.  Backup your work first just to make sure shutting down the folding core doesn't cause the contents to become corrupt (I've seen that a couple of times while testing my scripts).

This did the trick!  Thanks!  They are talking via names not IPs.  This hourly backup script is a life saver for sure.

Now if my machine would just start playing nice I would not need to keep relying on this backup.

s1ngular
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 190
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/12 14:49:38 (permalink)
Nevermind figured it out.

post edited by s1ngular - 2009/12/12 15:01:06

[Intel Core i7 X990][EVGA X58 SLI Classfied 760][Quad SLi EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590's]
tulsageoff
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/12 16:38:09 (permalink)
I have given up on bigadv for my gaming PC. I've tried multiple times and not been able to receive any bonus :(

The last failure was due to a validity test or something when sending the work back :/

I was folding on 6cores and gaming on 2, but due to games freezing/crashing from time to time it's not the best choice for me.

Maybe the my card needs to be RMA'ed, not sure, but it will freeze me in Enemy Territory from time to time.

Well I'll be gone on a 1-week vacation and I'lll let it get down and dirty. GL on all your uploads.

I'd like to see a native windows client that would allow pausing, saving, and backing up big work units.

S-M-P for Me for now. BTW linuxrouter you are a fricken folding genius god.
post edited by tulsageoff - 2009/12/12 16:41:25

24/7 Folding/Gaming Rig
i7 920 D0 3849B203 @ 4.47ghz 1.35v HT on, EVGA Classified, EVGA 285gtx FTW, Dominator GT 1866,
Corsair 1000HX, Lian Li g70, Hanns-G 28"
Watercooled with HK 3.0, PA 120.3, DDC + Petra top
Check out my PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw9IDesNZhc

ChaseH
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/12 20:18:20 (permalink)
Well lesson learned. Its a bad idea to try and watch the UFC fights on the computer while the CPU and GPU are folding. Lost my -bigadv I think. It appears to have recovered but I am very doubtful. Hopefully so it was at 81% which was just over 48 hours and had about 11 more hours to go.
s1ngular
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 190
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/13 08:13:23 (permalink)
The bigadv folding is killing my gpu PPD, is this normal? All my gpu's usually all get 7,500+/-. Now they are dipping below 6,000 to 2,000 PPD.

[Intel Core i7 X990][EVGA X58 SLI Classfied 760][Quad SLi EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590's]
heydabop
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 635
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/13 09:25:06 (permalink)
s1ngular

The bigadv folding is killing my gpu PPD, is this normal? All my gpu's usually all get 7,500+/-. Now they are dipping below 6,000 to 2,000 PPD.

Lol, read this. http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=69294

Please stop deleting WU's. 

My Current Folding@Home Status (via HFM.net) 

TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/13 12:58:35 (permalink)
I would expect the GPU client to drop like a stone if you don't already set a logical core aside for it (i.e. use -smp 7 for the bigadv client).  The Windows scheduler isn't the greatest either so you might need to bump the priority up on the GPU clients or mess with the affinity a bit.
linuxrouter
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/13 21:49:13 (permalink)
ChaseH

Well lesson learned. Its a bad idea to try and watch the UFC fights on the computer while the CPU and GPU are folding. Lost my -bigadv I think. It appears to have recovered but I am very doubtful. Hopefully so it was at 81% which was just over 48 hours and had about 11 more hours to go.

Did the work unit finish okay?

As long as the system did not crash while the client was writing to disk for a checkpoint, I think it should be okay.

CaseLabs M-S8 - ASRock X99 Pro - Intel 5960x 4.2 GHz - XSPC CPU WC - EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid SLI - Samsung 950 512GB - EVGA 1600w Titanium
ChaseH
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/14 04:40:27 (permalink)
Surprisingly it did recover and finish the last 20% ok. I just knew it wouldn't. I should have took a screen shot of it when it stopped running. It just shut down and said user requested shutdown or something. Either way I think this is only the 2nd one that has finished if I shut down or had a problem.

I like doing these things a bunch its just nerve racking when its that last 12 or so hours. I think it has almost doubled my ppd output in the last few weeks. I also came to the reality that I could lose every other one and still have more ppd than I was getting with the notfreds.
ChaseH
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/14 04:42:40 (permalink)
I just realized that after I posted I am inside the top 2k for the project. Thats kinda cool. Also there is only 3 people on my radar but 1 is over 6 years back. This is an awesome Monday morning here guys.
TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/15 00:19:01 (permalink)
I have a question about the work directory.  I'm seeing it grow and I'm not sure how big it will get so does anyone know if the client will clean up the work folder once disk space starts running out?  In my work directory I'm seeing files that start with "wudata_00" through "wudata_01" and the VM is down to only 1.1GB of free space so I'm wondering if I need to clean up the directory manually before I leave on vacation.
rickoic
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding 2009/12/15 15:22:46 (permalink)
I have 2 different i7 cpu's.

1st is a i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz and the 0.4 linux shell works just fine on it.

2nd is a i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz and when I try and start it I get the error message that it will only run on x86 cpus and it found a 666 cpu and then it freezes up.

What's up?

Tks
Rick
linuxrouter
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/15 17:26:57 (permalink)
TheCrazyCanuck

I have a question about the work directory.  I'm seeing it grow and I'm not sure how big it will get so does anyone know if the client will clean up the work folder once disk space starts running out?  In my work directory I'm seeing files that start with "wudata_00" through "wudata_01" and the VM is down to only 1.1GB of free space so I'm wondering if I need to clean up the directory manually before I leave on vacation.

I believe the client does the cleanup. I normally do not see more than around 700MB in the work directory. Can you check disk usage for the work folder?

du -sm work

linuxrouter
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding 2009/12/15 17:28:11 (permalink)
rickoic

2nd is a i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz and when I try and start it I get the error message that it will only run on x86 cpus and it found a 666 cpu and then it freezes up.

What's up?

Are you running a 64-bit OS on this system?

rickoic
Re:VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding 2009/12/15 22:13:01 (permalink)
Yes, I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed on the one that works.

And Win 7 Home 64-bit on the one that doesn't.

Also running notfred on a couple of other pc's that also have Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed on them and when they start they still come up with an error that 64-bit mode isn't available and is it alright to continue without 64-bit support.

Could that be something to do with Win 7?

Tks
Rick
TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/15 22:38:35 (permalink)
linuxrouter

TheCrazyCanuck

I believe the client does the cleanup. I normally do not see more than around 700MB in the work directory. Can you check disk usage for the work folder?

du -sm work

I'm seeing ~1.2GB of usage.  It looks like files from four different work units are in there so when my current one is complete I'll take a look to see if it deletes the old ones in there.
TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding 2009/12/15 22:42:55 (permalink)
rickoic

Yes, I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed on the one that works.

And Win 7 Home 64-bit on the one that doesn't.

Also running notfred on a couple of other pc's that also have Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed on them and when they start they still come up with an error that 64-bit mode isn't available and is it alright to continue without 64-bit support.

Could that be something to do with Win 7?

Tks
Rick

I'm using the v0.4 build in VMplayer 3.0 in Windows 7 Ultimate just fine.  Some of these virtualization software programs are a bit picky about the host OS so what you are seeing might be due to using a home version of the OS.  For the longest time VMware wouldn't officially support any version of Vista x64 as the host with their server software.
rickoic
Re:VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding 2009/12/16 10:50:25 (permalink)
Well I changed to Win 7 Pro 64-bit and I have it up and running.

Not sure that was the problem cause I had one of those moments and realized that I hadn't turned on virtulization after I had changed and when I turned that on everything was alright.

Tks everyone.

Rick
TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding 2009/12/16 11:13:20 (permalink)
rickoic

Well I changed to Win 7 Pro 64-bit and I have it up and running.

Not sure that was the problem cause I had one of those moments and realized that I hadn't turned on virtulization after I had changed and when I turned that on everything was alright.

Tks everyone.

Rick

This is why tech support always asks "Is it plugged in?"  :)

I doubt the OS was the problem, without virtualization support all the VM programs that I have used in the past will not work properly in x64 mode.
TheWolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3800
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/18 19:06:38 (permalink)
Anyone ever ran into a problem were fahmon will not see the fah folder when you know your putting in the correct IP?
Was working fine, I just did a clean install of W7 64bit & now it will no longer monitor in fahmon.
I've looked around as much as I know how, but can't seen to put my finger on what is causing this problem.
f@H client is running fine, just no way to monitor the PPD or get to the files txt to have a look at them..
post edited by TheWolf - 2009/12/18 19:08:03

EVGA Affiliate Code ZHKWRJB9D4 My HeatWare 

Foldmiester
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/18 19:12:15 (permalink)
TheWolf

Anyone ever ran into a problem were fahmon will not see the fah folder when you know your putting in the correct IP?
Was working fine, I just did a clean install of W7 64bit & now it will no longer monitor in fahmon.
I've looked around as much as I know how, but can't seen to put my finger on what is causing this problem.
f@H client is running fine, just no way to monitor the PPD or get to the files txt to have a look at them..

Have you tried going to "tools" and select "download new projects"

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it all...and then some you don't want.

Dual quad E5335 Xeon's @ 2.4/ GTX 260/216 (x2) 
TheWolf
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/18 19:23:17 (permalink)
Foldmiester

TheWolf

Yes, but that is not my problem.
FAHmon can not find the VM fah folder to get the PPD info from the fah VM client threw the IP it show as VM boots.
192.168.1.110\fah
Edit: btw this is the lastest 4v I'm using posted on the main post.
Using it on other rigs & it working fine with them, just not with this new install of the OS.
Working fine with OS W764bit & XP on other rigs.
Its kind of like the folder is hiden or the network connection to it is not there.
I have also tried a new DL & install of Linux FAH Image v0.4  & VMplayer, was no help to fix the problem.
post edited by TheWolf - 2009/12/18 19:36:55

Foldmiester
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/18 19:47:56 (permalink)
TheWolf

Foldmiester

TheWolf

FAHmon can not find the VM fah folder to get the PPD info from the fah VM client threw the IP it show as VM boots.
192.168.1.110\fah
Using it on other rigs & it working fine with them, just not with this new install of the OS.
Its kind of like the folder is hiden or the network connection to it is not there.
I have also tried a new DL & install of Linux FAH Image v0.4  & VMplayer, was no help to fix the problem.

I noticed you have your path set to 192.168.1.110\fah    use\\in front ie: \\192.168.1.110\fah
post edited by Foldmiester - 2009/12/18 19:56:26

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it all...and then some you don't want.

Dual quad E5335 Xeon's @ 2.4/ GTX 260/216 (x2) 
TheWolf
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/12/18 20:18:19 (permalink)
Foldmiester

TheWolf

Foldmiester

TheWolf

192.168.1.110\fah

I noticed you have your path set to 192.168.1.110\fah    use\\in front ie: \\192.168.1.110\fah

Thanks you!

Don't know how I kept missing that as many time as I have set this up.
That was my problem. Just a over site.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 32
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile