EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!Update 11/9/16 with NEW BIOS - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 PWM Temperature Update

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 76
Author
Jerry_EvGA
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:08:27 (permalink)
but even if im not going to install the thermal pad on my card, im still in the warrenty?
Gawg36
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:08:32 (permalink)
brokencross
Gawg36
This is starting to look bad. There are lots of questions due to EVGAs mistake that EVGA ignore.  personally I want to know why my pads need approval to send, that what it says. I have done everything right (card registered, reciept sent everything possible). There is no info or ETA of them either. 

Scarlet tech is doing a really good job, but he is a forum moderator. Why is there so little feedback from company reps, Jacob included. At first it went well, I mean I was fairly pleased with the ease of ordering. On October 25th. A week later and they are awaiting approval!! This really is a step backward. In the meantime this bios fan adjustment just appeared. Sure it's a good thing, but wasn't handled well.

I feel EVGA have to a degree had enough and are abandoning customers issues. As said Scarlet is doing the best he can, kudos to him. But many of these things need direct answers from the company themselves.

I have no issue flashing a bios or putting in the thermal pads. It's an easy  procedure. But I find the lack of information about when we can do these things to be getting really sloppy. Not something I would have ever expected to say about EVGA. Takes a long time to build a top reputation for customer service, and EVGA have deserved it. If EVGA don't start properly addressing our questions customers are going to start getting angry (many already are). It's still relatively early days, but time is passing and nothing much is happening. Losing a reputation for outstanding customer service can be wiped out with one incident, if people feel they have been shafted. EVGA need to address this quickly, answer our questions, be transparant and honest. That's what upsets me. Free pads - great! A week later in approval process, not even sent yet. That is not acceptable! NO explanation either. Annoying.

I am also rapidly approaching a complete breakdown of trust due to the lack of transparency. If this isn't dealt with soon I will very sadly join the others who never buy EVGA again.
This is a kind of real life test. Sending out pads, making new Bios available are great. But it counts for nothing if it's delayed and delayed again. Also people need their questions answered.
Seeing as this whole screw up is the fault, totally of EVGAs making I'm starting to get pretty shocked at the lack of interest or urgency, lack of solid info, questions unanswered.

Really, it's starting to look very sloppy. A shame because this could and should have been dealt with quickly, efficiently and with full transparency. This is currently NOT the case.

I can't agree with you.
With independent users actually going through the effort of analysing this whole overheat problem, we've all concluded that it seems it really isn't an issue as the cards do operate within spec and they aren't "overheating."
Even though they do operate within spec, they get really close to their temp threshold in extreme cases. That's why EVGA is providing us thermal pads and a bios update.
Could EVGA design a more efficient cooler? Maybe. But what's done is done.

I'm not saying it's your case, but I think many people here are completely oblivious regarding graphic cards, in the way that if you're minimally knowledgeable you would know that furmark can indeed kill cards. 
Hundreds and hundreds of cards have been killed by it, one I had included. And guess what? It's always the VRAM or the power phases that overheat and die out.
Furmark isn't a program to be taken or used lightly, as you can't possibly replicate the number of instructions it provides in order to completely overwhelm the GPU and VRAM.
Plus, for us who use our cards for everyday gaming/rendering it's not even useful at all.  It's much better to use a real world benchmark like Unigine Heaven/Valley to test our card's stability. 
The only thing Furmark is going to accomplish is overheat your card and you may not even notice artifacts, which is the main reason why people actually stress test in the first place.

Well, I can't outright disagree with you. You made valid points and I fully agree using furmark is just daft. I wasn't clear enough. It is not the problems themselves - stuff happens.
It not the solutions either, it all sounds reasonable, and I think is reasonable.

My complaint is lack of transparency, updates, and the feeling that us as customers haven't been kept fully in the picture. What changed my previously positive thoughts was today when I checked the status of my Thermal pads, ordered on the 25th Oct. Only to find a non-discript "your request is awaiting approval." That's plainly not good enough. We were promised this (which is fair IMO) but turns out they need to be approved!! There is nothing to be approved. As I said all my registration and everything possible I did back in July so it is plainly obvious that I am in the catagory of customers who are eligible for these. So WHY is there a pointless pending approval notice??! That one, not major thing, has clouded my positive opinion.

Am I overreacting. Well, maybe I am. But I'm pretty easy going, have written many Positive, thank you posts before today. Reasonable or not I cant help feeling I'm getting the run around - to some degree.

1. Taichi z370. i7 8086k @ 5,2GHz Stable.
16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3,000MHz.
  EVGA GTX 1080ti  FTW3. Acer XB270HU IPS 1440p 144Hz Refresh with G-Sync. PSU Corsair AX850. Cloud two cans, and Creative T20 stereo. Realtek HD on board sound.

brokencross
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:12:50 (permalink)
Gawg36

Well, I can't outright disagree with you. You made valid points and I fully agree using furmark is just daft. I wasn't clear enough. It is not the problems themselves - stuff happens.
It not the solutions either, it all sounds reasonable, and I think is reasonable.

My complaint is lack of transparency, updates, and the feeling that us as customers haven't been kept fully in the picture. What changed my previously positive thoughts was today when I checked the status of my Thermal pads, ordered on the 25th Oct. Only to find a non-discript "your request is awaiting approval." That's plainly not good enough. We were promised this (which is fair IMO) but turns out they need to be approved!! There is nothing to be approved. As I said all my registration and everything possible I did back in July so it is plainly obvious that I am in the catagory of customers who are eligible for these. So WHY is there a pointless pending approval notice??! That one, not major thing, has clouded my positive opinion.

Am I overreacting. Well, maybe I am. But I'm pretty easy going, have written many Positive, thank you posts before today. Reasonable or not I cant help feeling I'm getting the run around - to some degree.

Sure, I can relate to what you say. And I am in no way saying you're not being reasonable. We're in the same boat.
I do think "your request is awaiting approval" is just a generic status that means "we're still awaiting for thermal pad stock until we can send them out." I think I've already read somewhere in this forum that was exactly the situation.

Intel i5 4690K@4.4Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX1070 FTW replaced by a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB 1866Mhz | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho | NZXT S340
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:14:19 (permalink)
Jerry_EvGA
but even if im not going to install the thermal pad on my card, im still in the warrenty?

Yes, Your warranty is still 100% valid. You do not have to install the thermal pads. If you do decide to install them, your warranty still remains 100% intact.
Jerry_EvGA
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:15:37 (permalink)
Thanks a million!
fightinfilipino
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:19:15 (permalink)
i'm not even sure what people are asking for when they demand "full transparency".

frankly EVGA has gone above and beyond what most companies do:
1) they acknowledged an anomaly from a single review site running an out-of-spec stress test (Furmark).
2) they immediately did internal testing AND testing with third party review sites to see if there was indeed a problem. the results were made public.
3) despite the results showing that the 1070s/1080s are running in spec in normal use, EVGA is electing to send free thermal pads AND/OR cross-ship RMA anyways.
4) you're all complaining that this is all somehow "not transparent".

seriously?

and the worst part of this all is: the vast majority of you aren't having problems with your cards. the few who did have problems were immediately helped by EVGA and supported by their very good warranty. and unless i miss my guess, those with actual defects were well under the normal rate of defects for complex electronics. it's virtually impossible for 100% of manufactured, complex electronics like video cards to be defect free; a small percentage will have issues.

yes, it's a lot of money for these cards. frankly EVGA has responded with customer service exceeding the cost.
post edited by fightinfilipino - 2016/11/02 09:21:55
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:19:16 (permalink)
brokencross
Gawg36

Sure, I can relate to what you say. And I am in no way saying you're not being reasonable. We're in the same boat.
I do think "your request is awaiting approval" is just a generic status that means "we're still awaiting for thermal pad stock until we can send them out." I think I've already read somewhere in this forum that was exactly the situation.

The" your request is awaiting approval" is just a generic update message. When you request a game code, it says this, even if the code automatically populates. You'll even receive 2 emails, 1 saying your request was submitted and then another saying it was approved.

My thought, and I wish I could get clarification to pass on, is that they are currently waiting for the pads to come in so they can send them out. Each pad will have to be cut to the specified size that evga requested and then packaged before sending so it may take time to get them ready.

Sorry that I am unable to provide a much more clear guidance at this time.
brokencross
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:23:02 (permalink)
fightinfilipino
i'm not even sure what people are asking for when they demand "full transparency".

frankly EVGA has gone above and beyond what most companies do:
1) they acknowledged an anomaly from a single review site running an out-of-spec stress test (Furmark).
2) they immediately did internal testing AND testing with third party review sites to see if there was indeed a problem. the results were made public.
3) despite the results showing that the 1070s/1080s are running in spec in normal use, EVGA is electing to send free thermal pads AND/OR cross-ship RMA anyways.
4) you're all complaining that this is all somehow "not transparent".

seriously?

and the worst part of this all is: the vast majority of you aren't having problems with your cards. the few who did have problems were immediately helped by EVGA and supported by their very good warranty. and unless i miss my guess, those with actual defects were well under the normal rate of defects for complex electronics. it's virtually impossible to manufacture and sell completely defect-free items.

yes, it's a lot of money for these cards. frankly EVGA has responded with customer service exceeding the cost.

Yep, pretty much what you said.
Had it been ASUS and you'd be in for... Well, nothing really.
I still can remember the absolute chaos when people discovered ASUS was using coolers designed for Nvidia chips in much hotter AMD chips.
What did ASUS do? Nothing.

Intel i5 4690K@4.4Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX1070 FTW replaced by a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB 1866Mhz | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho | NZXT S340
milanovic
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:24:37 (permalink)
Any comments on this?

reddit .com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Gawg36
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:26:29 (permalink)
brokencross
Gawg36

Well thank you Broken Cross, and also thanks to Scarlet - Tech - the most overworked moderator in the world! You both explained similar reasons for the "approval," message.
But I didn't know that. Sure, I guessed that, but I paid a lot of money and feel I/we deserve a proper explantion from the company.
What you two guys have done is great, so thanks again. But why not from EVGA themselves, why the delays?

EVGA GTX 1080ti  FTW3. Acer XB270HU IPS 1440p 144Hz Refresh with G-Sync. PSU Corsair AX850. Cloud two cans, and Creative T20 stereo. Realtek HD on board sound.

DSP1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:27:31 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
brokencross
Gawg36

The" your request is awaiting approval" is just a generic update message. When you request a game code, it says this, even if the code automatically populates. You'll even receive 2 emails, 1 saying your request was submitted and then another saying it was approved.

My thought, and I wish I could get clarification to pass on, is that they are currently waiting for the pads to come in so they can send them out. Each pad will have to be cut to the specified size that evga requested and then packaged before sending so it may take time to get them ready.

This^
EVGA doesn't have these pads just laying around ready to ship out. And the suppliers of the pads certainly are not going to interrupt their schedules to accomodate EVGA, they have other customers as well. It would need a complete restructuring of the production line to get this accomplished and it takes time. Packaging, addressing, the logistics involved all take time.

Stop acting like immature spoiled children who want what they want  now.

GFAFS
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:39:13 (permalink)
DSP1

Stop dismissing legitimate concerns with the "immature or spoiled children" cliché. Enough of that. People paid good money for their cards, and this reason is enough to ask explanations and solutions!.

milanovic
Any comments on this?

reddit .com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

I think you'll be ignored big time with this. (unfortunately)
Why do you think they want to give you free pads?...to fix their mess maybe.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/02 09:44:33
Gawg36
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:40:24 (permalink)
DSP1
Scarlet-Tech
brokencross
Gawg36

This^
EVGA doesn't have these pads just laying around ready to ship out. And the suppliers of the pads certainly are not going to interrupt their schedules to accomodate EVGA, they have other customers as well. It would need a complete restructuring of the production line to get this accomplished and it takes time. Packaging, addressing, the logistics involved all take time.

post edited by Gawg36 - 2016/11/02 09:49:44

Gawg36
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:41:42 (permalink)
DSP1
Scarlet-Tech
brokencross
Gawg36

This^

Yeah yeah, didn't you read above? I was satisfied with the answer from the two gentlemen. Your comment however is after the fact, and you won't get anywhere by calling us "spoiled children." By all means please post relevant stuff. But don't just rant call us names, if that's all you can do then you had better just shutup.

Edit: sorry double post, I wrote in the wrong place

Gawg36
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:43:10 (permalink)
GFAFS
DSP1

Stop dismissing legitimate concerns with the "immature or spoiled children" cliché. Enough of that. People paid good money for their cards, and this reason is enough to ask explanations and solutions!.

Exactly GFAFS! You said it better than me.

Kirosia
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:48:25 (permalink)
Metro games are weird. The original 2033 caused my 600 card to overheat and my computer to BSOD early on. And this was during the intro section with almost no action. One of the few games to ever do that.

Either way, crossing my fingers with my 1060. With the aggressive fan curve during fall weather, it hits around 45C with moderate load. (Which I believe is good)
DSP1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:49:14 (permalink)
Give me a break!
All this information related tho the pads has been posted.
The handwringing and emo hystrionics are pathetic.
Do some research on your own and stop making unrealistic demands.
You know, sort of like the one I am making now. rofl 

Gawg36
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:55:06 (permalink)
DSP1
Give me a break!
All this information related tho the pads has been posted.
The handwringing and emo hystrionics are pathetic.
Do some research on your own and stop making unrealistic demands.
You know, sort of like the one I am making now. rofl 

LOL, now you have shown you are the mis informed, no doubt low intelligence "immature child." There is nothing unrealistic about our demands.
I bet you don't even have one of the affected cards? And if you do that's worse, it really shows you for the pathetic short sighted person that your are. 
More please, you amuse me. 

milanovic
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 09:55:11 (permalink)
GFAFS
milanovic
Any comments on this?

I think you'll be ignored big time with this. (unfortunately)
Why do you think they want to give you free pads?...to fix their mess maybe.

I'm not sure have you seen the photos but pads wont help much if there is no contact between them and PCB.

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Wesleydn
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:07:05 (permalink)
I need these pads!!!

My EVGA GTX 1080 SC is running at 91C with 90% fan speed when i play BF1 on ultra at 1440p.

I live in South Africa these pads will be a few month if at all... cant EVGA also provide us with the size and thickness of the pads?
For people who have access to thermal pads, cant we make our own?
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:10:54 (permalink)
milanovic
Any comments on this?

Would like to know what evga thinks about all those pictures and all the customers who had big issue with their cards...

We already know there is a overheating issue but manageable, no we need to know what happens to those who already had a serious problem...

Now, we also have to wait to see what will happen to customers like me who dont have any issue at all (only 1 month so it's not relevant for the moment...)

But I think there are a lot of gamers who have the card since day one and no problem at all but of course, they dont come here to tell us that ! 
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:12:05 (permalink)
milanovic

I'm not sure have you seen the photos but pads wont help much if there is no contact between them and PCB.

Yes i saw, if there is no contact the pads are useless indeed (pads thickness issue?), more photos will come to confirm this soon enough if it's not an isolate case.

Edit: And the "watery/greasy" juice we see on the pictures do not inspire me much either if you add this:
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf  at the end of the doc

The EVGA graphics card warranty may be void if the end-user causes intentional physical or water damage to the graphics card during the course of installation of the Thermal Pad Mod; installation of the Thermal Pad Mod, however, will not void your warranty, even in the case of accidental damage, if installation is consistent with this Thermal Pad Mod Installation Guide. EVGA will not be held liable for the  physical or water damage of your GTX™ 1080, GTX™ 1070 or any other associated hardware if damage is caused to the graphics
card intentionally.

Odd how they insist on the water damage... who will prove that EVGA won't threat these marks as water damage? . The exact reason i will not open mine and take any risk whatsoever, again it's EVGA job.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/02 10:34:41
bitxan
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:25:42 (permalink)
[<font][<font][quote = Scarlet-Tech]
[<font][<font][quote = Jerry_EvGA]
[<font][<font]
Jyrtzy
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:25:43 (permalink)
When are the pads getting shipped? Requested them few mins after the link was posted. Its been on awaiting approval ever since i requested them.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Asus B550-i mITX | Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 16GB(2x8GB) @ 3600MHz | Asus RTX 3060 Ti TUF OC | EKWB Basic 240mm AIO w/NF-A12x25 Chromax | Gigabyte AORUS 1TB Gen4 M.2 SSD | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1 v6.1 Silver | ASUS PG348Q  100Hz 1440p IPS G-sync |
bitxan
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:28:53 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Some testing results from GamersNexus:  

Thermal Pad installation guide: 

the cards are changed by RMA  advanced signing logically come with the new bios and thermalpad installed, but completely new brand will, nothing repaired or remanufactured .... right?
silvagandre
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:37:29 (permalink)
what about the bios update

when it comes out
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:46:32 (permalink)
BRooDJeRo
What should be the nominal and under high load temperatures for the VRM's on these cards according to factory specifications? Even with a fan curve modification/bios update it still seems to be around 95 degrees Celsius according to Gamer Nexus. That still seems quite high with that being close to the boiling point of water (100C) although it isn't water, but temperatures of 90/95C+ are usually still a reason for alarm. Does any electronics technician have any more information on this?
Also, what will the temperature be after the thermal pads modification?

Tweet with temps: https://twitter.com/Gamer...tus/793612935415357440

125C is the max allowed temp for the VRM's. After pad installation it should be around 85c.

post edited by Sajin - 2016/11/02 10:49:37
Keidj
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:52:21 (permalink)
Hello!

I havent read anything about this beeing an issue on 1080 Classified, but the card is in the list of cards that "need" the thermal pads. I guess I should order the pads for my Classy then?

edit: This means I need to put new TIM on the chip when reasembling the card, does EVGA ship TIM with the pads? If not what TIM should I use?

//Calvin
post edited by Keidj - 2016/11/02 11:12:31
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 10:57:50 (permalink)
GFAFS
milanovic

Yes i saw, if there is no contact the pads are useless indeed (pads thickness issue?), more photos will come to confirm this soon enough if it's not an isolate case.

Edit: And the "watery/greasy" juice we see on the pictures do not inspire me much either if you add this:
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf  at the end of the doc

The EVGA graphics card warranty may be void if the end-user causes intentional physical or water damage to the graphics card during the course of installation of the Thermal Pad Mod; installation of the Thermal Pad Mod, however, will not void your warranty, even in the case of accidental damage, if installation is consistent with this Thermal Pad Mod Installation Guide. EVGA will not be held liable for the  physical or water damage of your GTX™ 1080, GTX™ 1070 or any other associated hardware if damage is caused to the graphics
card intentionally.

Odd how they insist on the water damage... who will prove that EVGA won't threat these marks as water damage? . The exact reason i will not open mine and take any risk whatsoever, again it's EVGA job.

That is thermal grease. Thermal grease does not cause corrosion or color change like water would. Thermal grease from the thermal pads is 100% normal across every single brand and can not be avoided as long as the pads are still good. Once they dry out, the thermal grease from them will be gone and will no longer show.
Wesleydn
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:03:18 (permalink)
@Scarlet-Tech
@Sajin

Am i the only one with 91C when gaming with a 80% fan speed?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 76
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile