EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!Update 11/9/16 with NEW BIOS - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 PWM Temperature Update

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 76
Author
Oddzball3
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:04:26 (permalink)
Jesus, people are being ridiculous about this. Raise your damn fan speeds, wait for the bios update and be done with it. If you card fails anyway for whatever weird reason within your 3 year warranty, EVGA will cover it, its a non-issue really.

That hardware review site did something stupid with the cards, running them with modified drivers and using a software that even Nvidia themselves said can cause damage to your GPU. This isnt an issue with the cards, its an issue with people doing stupid unrealistic things to the card.

This is about as bad as taking your car out joyriding in a cornfield smashing through things, and then complaining when you break it.
seahawkgfx
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:06:59 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
spryguy
Having to flash the bios is not my issue, the resulting fan noise is. My box my card came in will essentially have false advertising on it.

The card can still have 0% fan speed. The resulting noise is actually not as loud as many are assuming. I run my fans between 50 and 60% on an open bench, and the stock Intel cpu cooler is louder than the GPU.

However the test said 2200 rpm fan speed, which I tried on my 1080 and I find it unacceptable compared to the 1400 rpm I have seen so far. If the card hits 2200rpm under gaming it is of no use to me.
Maybe some more information about the fan speed (I hope it is not the same for every card from ACX3.0 to Classified) and the need to install the new BIOS would help. I have no problems installing the pads, but the very silent coolers was a big point for my decision to go EVGA.
Inaho_Seiryu
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:10:20 (permalink)
Wesleydn
I need these pads!!!

My EVGA GTX 1080 SC is running at 91C with 90% fan speed when i play BF1 on ultra at 1440p.

I live in South Africa these pads will be a few month if at all... cant EVGA also provide us with the size and thickness of the pads?
For people who have access to thermal pads, cant we make our own?

I don't think the pads will solve your issue, it seems to be unrelated. Seems like to be a faulty card or an airflow issue. What's your case?
Wesleydn
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:13:19 (permalink)
Evil_Betox
Wesleydn
I need these pads!!!

My EVGA GTX 1080 SC is running at 91C with 90% fan speed when i play BF1 on ultra at 1440p.

I live in South Africa these pads will be a few month if at all... cant EVGA also provide us with the size and thickness of the pads?
For people who have access to thermal pads, cant we make our own?

I don't think the pads will solve your issue, it seems to be unrelated. Seems like to be a faulty card or an airflow issue. What's your case?

80% fan speed not 90 sorry

Corsair 460X with 3 intake at the front, 2 outtake at the top and 1 outtake at the back.
case fans running at 1800rpm with fan on card at 100 will get the gpu to 85ish
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:24:32 (permalink)
Wesleydn
@Scarlet-Tech
@Sajin

Am i the only one with 91C when gaming with a 80% fan speed?

It's impossible to tell if your issue is your GPU, or poor case air flow with high ambient temps.  In other words, more information is needed. Your GPU temp isn't strictly related to this issue. You might have better luck starting your own thread with more information.

Edit...missed your post with the case. While that case looks nice, the front fans being more or less completely blocked by a panel doesn't seem to be ideal for getting air flow through the case. Are their any exhaust fans? What are you using to cool your CPU?
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2016/11/02 11:32:41

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Wesleydn
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:26:58 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Wesleydn
@Scarlet-Tech
@Sajin

It's impossible to tell if your issue is your GPU, or poor case air flow with high ambient temps.  In other words, more information is needed. Your GPU temp isn't strictly related to this issue. You might have better luck starting your own thread with more information.

Have submitted a ticket already.

But lots of airflow,
Ambient temp is 22C

when GPU is on idel with 40% fan speed it hovers around 45C
Playing BF1 maxes at 91C 
Inaho_Seiryu
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:30:45 (permalink)
Wesleydn

But lots of airflow,
Ambient temp is 22C

Playing BF1 maxes at 91C 

It shouldn't be that high with 40% fan speed, i also use that much and stays at 27c idle and around 60c while gaming (70% fan speed), my case is a Corsair 780T but yours seems to be pretty good.

But like HeavyHemi said you better off creating your own thread or waiting for a reply for your ticket because the pads are for the VRM temps and not for your core temps, your issue seems to be totally unrelated. 
post edited by Evil_Betox - 2016/11/02 11:33:11
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:35:14 (permalink)
Wesleydn
HeavyHemi
Wesleydn
@Scarlet-Tech
@Sajin

But lots of airflow,
Ambient temp is 22C

Playing BF1 maxes at 91C 

Um, no offense but with the front fans being partially blocked by the front panel and apparently no exhaust fans, I'm not sure how good your air flow is.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

tommyv2
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:39:16 (permalink)
milanovic
Any comments on this?

reddit .com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

This is unreal. EVGA really needs to fix this for us. Create a new hardware revision with some actual, consistent QC and let all us registered owners exchange for it. This is embarrassing.
Wesleydn
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:40:00 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Wesleydn
HeavyHemi
Wesleydn
@Scarlet-Tech
@Sajin

But lots of airflow,
Ambient temp is 22C

Playing BF1 maxes at 91C 

Um, no offense but with the front fans being partially blocked by the front panel and apparently no exhaust fans, I'm not sure how good your air flow is.

read/look again (all fans running at constant 1100RPM at the moment)
3x HD120s in the front as intake, (2cm gap from fans to the front glass panel open on both sides of that 2cm gap
2x HD120s on top as exhaust
1x HD120 at back as exhaust
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:47:27 (permalink)
Nyres
I have a question if I have a card who's part number matches one of those listed but has a BR after it when looking at my products on the EVGA website does that mean I should update it as well?

Yes.

Scarlet-Tech
The companies causing the panic are using furmark with modified drivers so that the program isn't throttled to cause so much heat.

Where are you getting this info from?

panaikas
Sajin when there is an asnwer if it is correct or not?

I notified evga that the instructions may be wrong.
Keidj
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:50:34 (permalink)
REPOST!

Since so many are posting in this thread I thought maybe my post got lost in translation so I repost it.

Hello!

I havent read anything about this beeing an issue on 1080 Classified, but the card is in the list of cards that "need" the thermal pads. I guess I should order the pads for my Classy then?

edit: This means I need to put new TIM on the chip when reasembling the card, does EVGA ship TIM with the pads? If not what TIM should I use?

//Calvin
milanovic
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 11:58:46 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
GFAFS
milanovic

I'm not sure have you seen the photos but pads wont help much if there is no contact between them and PCB.

Yes i saw, if there is no contact the pads are useless indeed (pads thickness issue?), more photos will come to confirm this soon enough if it's not an isolate case.

Edit: And the "watery/greasy" juice we see on the pictures do not inspire me much either if you add this:
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf  at the end of the doc

The EVGA graphics card warranty may be void if the end-user causes intentional physical or water damage to the graphics card during the course of installation of the Thermal Pad Mod; installation of the Thermal Pad Mod, however, will not void your warranty, even in the case of accidental damage, if installation is consistent with this Thermal Pad Mod Installation Guide. EVGA will not be held liable for the  physical or water damage of your GTX™ 1080, GTX™ 1070 or any other associated hardware if damage is caused to the graphics
card intentionally.

Odd how they insist on the water damage... who will prove that EVGA won't threat these marks as water damage? . The exact reason i will not open mine and take any risk whatsoever, again it's EVGA job.

That is thermal grease. Thermal grease does not cause corrosion or color change like water would. Thermal grease from the thermal pads is 100% normal across every single brand and can not be avoided as long as the pads are still good. Once they dry out, the thermal grease from them will be gone and will no longer show.

I don't think the grease is an issue but poor contact due to pads not being too thick. Please check Imgur photos which can be found on the reddit message I've posted here.

(reddit .com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/)

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:02:16 (permalink)
Can someone of EVGA staff can explain and comment those pictures on the reddit link ???
khos2325
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:03:07 (permalink)
new0ne
khos2325
This is absolutely unacceptable.

What were you doing instead of testing your cards before releasing them ? You just found out that your cards get so hot that they not only destroy themselves but can damage other components of people's PCs ? Oh wait, you didn't. Others did after you cards literally got cooked !

This situation is a joke especially after people pay over 400$ for your products. I shouldn't have to deal with applying thermal pads myself, when I have paid that much money for your GPU. I shouldn't have to RMA my card, because I shouldn't go through all the trouble after I've payed so much for a card. RMAing means I'm left with no card for days, which in my case hurts my work on top of me not being able to play games. I don't have the time to deal with your incompetency, and neither should anyone else after paying for a product that was guaranteed to be able to able to handle getting pushed even further.

Funny thing is you put it in a way that you are doing us a favor instead of apologizing for your incompetency. Thermal pads are not needed but we give it to you for free?! Even with the BIOS update the temperatures are not looking pretty, and it makes the card noisy for people who chose this brand for being silent.

I'm definitely not going with Evga next time I'm purchasing a GPU.

Stop flaming!
Why?
This is a PRODUCT, that means IT CAN get issues. You as human can get sick, your car can be broken, your phone could have issues and your microwave also can be broken. And for ALL this products there are HUMANS working. That means they are not machines and mistakes can happen. Of course they could do better but I am sure: They will with next card. And if that hurts your work so hard - that means you have a 2nd PC? What do you do if mainboard is broken, CPU, RAMS, Monitor, Keyboard, PSU... do you have a backup for all this stuffs? I am sure you dont have and you are just here to flame.

1) EVGA has confirmed 100000 times, that you don't NEED this pads. It is an option. You flame and cry about an issue and you even don't have any issue. Dude, really? 
2) This is warranty: You have issues, the manufacturer has support for this and they help you. That is what they do here. 

I can understand people if they are scared (I am also scared and not sure yet if I will replace the card). I also would understand if you wont buy any products from EVGA if they dont give you support (or bad support) - but you get support and fast replays. You get support even that they confirmed that card is working.

People flame when they dont get support
People flame when they get support.
Internet people are just...

You're out of touch with reality buddy.

1. How do you know I don't have any issues ?
2. Did you even read my entire post ? If I want to RMA my card, it seems I have to pay for the shipping. On top of that I will be left without a card for days on end, and I need the card for my work ! I shouldn't have to go through all this, because of the obvious lack of competence of Evga to monitor their card's temps after they ask for over 400$ for their product ! 

Do you understand that their cards overheating like this is the first thing Evga should have tested, caught, and remedied before releasing their cards ? 
Do you understand that your GPU running this hot and apparently going up in flames can possibly harm other components of your PC ?
Do you understand how negatively this will affect the card's reselling value ?
Do you understand paying over 400$ of your hard earned money and then having the company tell you you should install something that needed to be there already, is unprofessional ? Don't give me it doesn't need to be there, because the whole purpose of these cards and the custom coolers are to get lower temperatures. 1-2$ thermal pads help the card to stay cooler, so it is a clear oversight and lack of quality control.
Do you understand providing customer service and trying to fix issues after releasing a defective product is not a good thing ? I mean it's not even exceptional customer service either. Reasonable customer service in this case would be extending the warranty of the affected cards on top of everything else without any additional costs or allowing people to refund their cards in order to buy another card ASAP to get back to work, gaming, and anything else they need the card for.

And people saying people over stressed their cards like running a car through the cornfield and smashing it to walls and so forth is just ridiculous. These cards are advertised as being able to handle overclocking and having 400% longer life spans for God's sake.

More cards are having issues than Evga is letting on and more will start to have issues as the cards age, and this is more widespread than Evga wants to admit. I assume untested cheap parts were used in these cards, but that is just my speculation.

Take a look at this: reddit .com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

Oddzball3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:17:09 (permalink)
khos2325
new0ne
khos2325
This is absolutely unacceptable.

What were you doing instead of testing your cards before releasing them ? You just found out that your cards get so hot that they not only destroy themselves but can damage other components of people's PCs ? Oh wait, you didn't. Others did after you cards literally got cooked !

This situation is a joke especially after people pay over 400$ for your products. I shouldn't have to deal with applying thermal pads myself, when I have paid that much money for your GPU. I shouldn't have to RMA my card, because I shouldn't go through all the trouble after I've payed so much for a card. RMAing means I'm left with no card for days, which in my case hurts my work on top of me not being able to play games. I don't have the time to deal with your incompetency, and neither should anyone else after paying for a product that was guaranteed to be able to able to handle getting pushed even further.

Funny thing is you put it in a way that you are doing us a favor instead of apologizing for your incompetency. Thermal pads are not needed but we give it to you for free?! Even with the BIOS update the temperatures are not looking pretty, and it makes the card noisy for people who chose this brand for being silent.

I'm definitely not going with Evga next time I'm purchasing a GPU.

Stop flaming!
Why?
This is a PRODUCT, that means IT CAN get issues. You as human can get sick, your car can be broken, your phone could have issues and your microwave also can be broken. And for ALL this products there are HUMANS working. That means they are not machines and mistakes can happen. Of course they could do better but I am sure: They will with next card. And if that hurts your work so hard - that means you have a 2nd PC? What do you do if mainboard is broken, CPU, RAMS, Monitor, Keyboard, PSU... do you have a backup for all this stuffs? I am sure you dont have and you are just here to flame.

1) EVGA has confirmed 100000 times, that you don't NEED this pads. It is an option. You flame and cry about an issue and you even don't have any issue. Dude, really? 
2) This is warranty: You have issues, the manufacturer has support for this and they help you. That is what they do here. 

I can understand people if they are scared (I am also scared and not sure yet if I will replace the card). I also would understand if you wont buy any products from EVGA if they dont give you support (or bad support) - but you get support and fast replays. You get support even that they confirmed that card is working.

People flame when they dont get support
People flame when they get support.
Internet people are just...

You're out of touch with reality buddy.

1. How do you know I don't have any issues ?
2. Did you even read my entire post ? If I want to RMA my card, it seems I have to pay for the shipping. On top of that I will be left without a card for days on end, and I need the card for my work ! I shouldn't have to go through all this, because of the obvious lack of competence of Evga to monitor their card's temps after they ask for over 400$ for their product ! 

Do you understand that their cards overheating like this is the first thing Evga should have tested, caught, and remedied before releasing their cards ? 
Do you understand that your GPU running this hot and apparently going up in flames can possibly harm other components of your PC ?
Do you understand how negatively this will affect the card's reselling value ?
Do you understand paying over 400$ of your hard earned money and then having the company tell you you should install something that needed to be there already, is unprofessional ? Don't give me it doesn't need to be there, because the whole purpose of these cards and the custom coolers are to get lower temperatures. 1-2$ thermal pads help the card to stay cooler, so it is a clear oversight and lack of quality control.
Do you understand providing customer service and trying to fix issues after releasing a defective product is not a good thing ? I mean it's not even exceptional customer service either. Reasonable customer service in this case would be extending the warranty of the affected cards on top of everything else without any additional costs or allowing people to refund their cards in order to buy another card ASAP to get back to work, gaming, and anything else they need the card for.

And people saying people over stressed their cards like running a car through the cornfield and smashing it to walls and so forth is just ridiculous. These cards are advertised as being able to handle overclocking and having 400% longer life spans for God's sake.

More cards are having issues than Evga is letting on and more will start to have issues as the cards age, and this is more widespread than Evga wants to admit. I assume untested cheap parts were used in these cards, but that is just my speculation.

Take a look at this: reddit .com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

How are they going to have more issues with age when the VRM is WELL within the temp limit that it is rated for, even WITH these supposed "overheating issues"? Is it going to last 3-4 years? Most likely, which is fine IMO for a graphics card lifespan. Does the card run hot? Sure, but is it ridiculously hot? No. I almost suspect half these cards that light on fire have more to do with people having other failings in their system such as improper ventilation, running to high of a overclock or other issues.

Where did EVGA EVER advertise that their cards can handle overclocking **AND** a %400% longer lifespan?

Why is EVGA somehow responsible for people running a software even NVIDIA says not to run, for a ridiculously long amount of time AND run it at only 3-40% fan speed? Who would do something that stupid then complain about temperature issues?
ddrmax69
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:19:43 (permalink)
Hi. I'm from Chile. I bought my card last month in the USA when i was in the country... i'm in Chile now so... what can i do?
post edited by ddrmax69 - 2016/11/03 05:49:46

Attached Image(s)

GFAFS
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:21:01 (permalink)
You are under intense scrutiny right now EVGA all over the techs forums, reddit, tweeter etc, all dead bodies in the closet are coming out..., now would be the time for a proper handling before it's too late....hint hint Free Cross shipping RMA's with Brand new Fixed GC with PADS, Samsung Ram and bios, before the full refund bandwagon coming next... and most importantly a tainted Brand.

Those posting that they are whiling to install whatever, pads and bios, will surely not RMA anyway right?! (yeah right...NOT) the more time pass, the more awareness spread...
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:30:31 (permalink)
Oddzball3

Why is EVGA somehow responsible for people running a software even NVIDIA says not to run, for a ridiculously long amount of time AND run it at only 3-40% fan speed? Who would do something that stupid then complain about temperature issues?

3-40% fan speed?! do you have a link for that?

The card is supposed to support actual apps on the market and is supposed to be future proof (at least for the 2 years to come), meaning that some apps or games will be more demanding. If a card is not able to support intensive computing without blacking out or crashing/burning with today software/games whatever they are, it's a major design flaw by itself. Blunt and simple.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/02 12:37:54
Oddzball3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:38:31 (permalink)
GFAFS
Oddzball3

The card is supposed to support actual apps on the market and is supposed to be future proof (at least for the 2 years to come), meaning than some app or games will be more demanding. If a card is not able to support intensive computing without blacking out or crashing/burning with today software/games whatever they are, it's a major design flaw by itself. Blunt and simple.

30-40% sorry for the typo, but I would think that was obvious. Several users here have already confirmed, if you bump up the fan speed, the card operates just fine btw. Also, Futuremark is not, nor will it EVER be a good comparison to "regular software". Running the card at non-stop 99% usage for 2 hours without having a proper fan profile? Thats just stupidity IMO.

Bar81
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:45:48 (permalink)
GFAFS
You are under intense scrutiny right now EVGA all over the techs forums, reddit, tweeter etc, all dead bodies in the closet are coming out..., now would be the time for a proper handling before it's too late....hint hint Free Cross shipping RMA's with Brand new Fixed GC with PADS, Samsung Ram and bios, before the full refund bandwagon coming next... and most importantly a tainted Brand.

Most every forum outside of this one is full of adults who are giving this non-issue the attention it deserves (little to none).

Walk away from the PC and get some perspective. Ridiculous requests like the above ensure that evga doesn't take you seriously.

Intel 6700T, Thermalright Macho Zero, Asus Sabertooth Z170 S, 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, EVGA 1080 Ti SC, Samsung 850 PRO, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Kingwin Stryker 500W
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:46:08 (permalink)
Oddzball3
30-40% sorry for the typo, but I would think that was obvious. Several users here have already confirmed, if you bump up the fan speed, the card operates just fine btw. Also, Futuremark is not, nor will it EVER be a good comparison to "regular software". Running the card at non-stop 99% usage for 2 hours without having a proper fan profile? Thats just stupidity IMO.

The Card should ramp up automatically and properly, again, not the User fault, but a design one. Putting the fault on Futuremark is a no no. EVGA should own it, fix the Hardware.
brokencross
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:46:58 (permalink)
Wesleydn

But lots of airflow,
Ambient temp is 22C

Playing BF1 maxes at 91C 

If it's not asking too much can you provide us a pic of your case?

Intel i5 4690K@4.4Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX1070 FTW replaced by a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB 1866Mhz | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho | NZXT S340
brokencross
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:48:53 (permalink)
GFAFS
Oddzball3

The card is supposed to support actual apps on the market and is supposed to be future proof (at least for the 2 years to come), meaning that some apps or games will be more demanding. If a card is not able to support intensive computing without blacking out or crashing/burning with today software/games whatever they are, it's a major design flaw by itself. Blunt and simple.

I think he means the people who tested it with furmark were probably running the 0dB preset.

Intel i5 4690K@4.4Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX1070 FTW replaced by a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB 1866Mhz | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho | NZXT S340
Daz1967
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:50:21 (permalink)
GFAFS
Scarlet-Tech
Why are people assuming that updating the bios is so dangerous? You aren't changing anything.

The bios file is an .exe. You download it. Click it.. And it's finished. You aren't going in and editing anything, or doing anything dangerous. It is a super simple double click.

Yes, I can understand people being upset about the thermal pad install. Some people think gpu's are made of glass and will shatter if you look at them wrong. They are not that fragile. Using a hammer or throwing the card to remove the cooler is NOT advised. Also, EVGA also very clearly stated that if there is damage done during the install of the thermal pads, that they will stand behind their customers warranty. If you don't drop the card, which could happen without installing thermal pads, then it is unlikely any damage will be done.

I posted a step by step guide of how easy it really is. Evga used much larger thermal pads than I anticipated, but the guide still works the same.

I understand you're doing your job, quite well i would say, but what people are assuming right now is even an easy task should not be burden on the end user, at least not for the Price of the card.

I absolutely agree here.

I received my replacement card two weeks ago so why didn't EVGA ship all new cards with thermal pads already fitted for absolutely guaranteed lower temperatures and save on not only additional shipping costs but customer inconvenience as well? As I said before surely it is better to be safe than sorry, all for the sake of a few extra pence per card; cards that cost us £600+, I might add. These things are not cheap!

The fact that EVGA are issuing a vBIOS update is also suspicious because one of the advantages of the ACX 3.0 cooling is that the fans, by default, are silent on the desktop and only spin when the GPU reaches 65 degrees C. I would guess that this new vBIOS will effectively change the profile so the fans are no longer silent and act like those of the second vBIOS that the GTX 1080 FTW ships with (the one that allows a 130% Power limit and spins the fans at 20% by default rather than leaving them off). I mean I haven't seen abnormally high temperatures on my card's GPU with the default profile with the highest being 80 C during the summer after hours of playing a demanding game with supersampling enabled. At the moment, like right now, my card is 29 C idle on the desktop with the fans off and around 72-75 C at most in all the games I'm currently playing, even those at 4K like Skyrim Special Edition. These temperatures are lower than those of the reference GTX 1080, the so-called Founder's Edition, so why does it need a revamped fan profile? Is it, in fact, related to the reports of overheating VRMs after all? I mean I found that my previous faulty card no longer exhibited the black screen/100% fan issue when I switched to a more aggressive custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner so that does seem to support that theory on my system.
post edited by Daz1967 - 2016/11/02 12:53:36

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, ASUS Z87-DELUXE motherboard v2103, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz memory, 11 GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics, Creative SB Sound Blaster Z sound, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 9 TB SATAIII hard drives, XFX Pro Black Edition 850 W, Windows 10 Pro v1703 64-bit
KinkDaddy
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:54:18 (permalink)
Back in the day people would be excited about being able to rip their card apart and it be totally cool with the manufacturer...

If you've never done it, it's a learning experience. Sack up, get a screw driver, and learn.

If you're comfortable doing it and you're griping about having to do it. No product will ever be perfect and a lot of manufacturers could tell you to piss off. Sack up, get a screw driver, and do it.

If you break it they already said they'd stand behind you.

Once you get it done you'll have peace of mind, a working machine, and you'll be able to get on yelp and snitch till you're blue in the face.
TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 12:54:44 (permalink)
My thermal pads shipped 10/31 ... has anyone gotten theirs yet?
lradunovic
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 254
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 13:03:03 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update

11/1/2016 - Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).

EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:
  • On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
  • However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.
Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.

To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures.  This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly.   This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available.  This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod 

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.
All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

*The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland.  EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.

FAQ

Q. Which cards are supported by these updates?
A. EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:

*Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.

Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?
A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.

Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?
A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.

Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?
A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.

Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?
A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*

Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?
A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.  

How we can get new Bios and an appropriate tool to update Bios?
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 13:12:50 (permalink)
Bar81

Most every forum outside of this one is full of adults who are giving this non-issue the attention it deserves (little to none).

Walk away from the PC and get some perspective. Ridiculous requests like the above ensure that evga doesn't take you seriously.

Sorry i won't take the bait. Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome? (yes that's a thing)
Let me help you about the perspectives :

Bing : evga 1070/1080 vrm problems -> 45 200 results and growing each hours.
Bing: evga 1070/1080 pads problem -> 153 000 results and growing each hours.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/02 13:17:37
Oddzball3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/02 13:17:28 (permalink)
GFAFS
Bar81

Sorry i won't take the bait. Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome? (yes that's a thing)
Let me help you about the perspectives :

Bing : evga 1070/1080 vrm problems -> 45 200 results and growing each hours.

God, who uses bing these days? Also, you ever see how drama explodes on the internet? Doesnt surprise me. People blow things way out of proportion and of course you get a lot of results back.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 76
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile