EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!Update 11/9/16 with NEW BIOS - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 PWM Temperature Update

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 76
Author
panaikas
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 00:40:44 (permalink)
- As I read  a previous post (don't remember the page) about the thickness from a mod of forum told is 1mm.

- On gamernexus.net write that the kit include:
  • "Narrow" thermal pad for inductors: ~1.8mm x ~27mm x ~109mm
  • "Wide" thermal pad for rear-side of PCB: ~2mm x ~56mm x ~109mm
  • Thermal compound. Ours was 5W/mK, but the kits will vary based on supply.
το another point of the page write:

-That kit is provided free to affected EVGA customers, but you could also buy your own thermal pads (~$7) of comparable size if EVGA cannot fulfill a request. When open the link the pads thinkness is 1.5mm

So do we know the exactly thickness of the pads, is 1mm or 1.5mm or 2mm?
post edited by panaikas - 2016/11/03 00:46:10
gregoryv
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 00:42:38 (permalink)
I have some question to EVGA engineers.

I understand the logic for update Bios and raise fan curve to cool better all components on the card. Although I didn't have any issues with my card so far I understand I should update the bios. The thermal pads installation is offered but not mandatory by EVGA so why you offering this?
I am mechanical engineer and dealing a lot with different cooling issues in lasers and other high power devices.
I don't understand the effectiveness of solution of thermal pads applied on VRM components. One side of thermal pad strip is in touch with VRM modules. The other side is in contact with cooling fans. The contact surface is very small and not effective. So I don't understand the effectivenes of this solution.
Can you please provide thermal tests performed by EVGA with and without thermal pads.
See 10:40 on the video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URyG1OP8p8I

The much more effective solution should include contact between the thermal pad and flat conductive surface but the radiator currently doesn't having it and contact with fins. The heat dissipated from VRM modules should be conducted by thermal pad to VRM surface and then it should be dissipated out by convection from the fins. 
I suggest you to modify the heat sink that should include flat surface on opposite side to Vrams and using thermal grease instead of thermal pads.
I don't try to criticize your work and very like your professional products.
Please don't ignore my post and try to reply on my questions.

Best Regards,

Gregory
post edited by gregoryv - 2016/11/03 00:55:44

Intel I9-10900K OC | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Custom WC | Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero WiFi | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 2X Samsung 970 Evo 1 Tb | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | Asus ROG PG348Q | BenQ EW3280U 4K |

milanovic
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 01:16:46 (permalink)
jedkoh
Before I start, I would like to apologize if my post sounds like a flame post to some of y’all. I just would like to take the opportunity to voice out my concerns as a new owner of GTX 1070 FTW.

I am from Malaysia whereby EVGA does not have an official presence over here however this brand has a certain appeal in the market being rare and generally perceived higher quality compared to regional brands based within fellow Asian countries no thanks to multiple positive reviews via reputable sites and youtube reviewers.

Here I am after receiving a paltry one-month worth of job bonus totaled to RM 4,000. I have decided to upgrade my existing PC and decided to get myself a GTX 1070 FTW from Amazon US (after conversion it cost me RM 2300, which to me was a rather huge savings compared to the local price of RM 2600. The RM 300 savings would allow me to procure a decent EVGA 500B PSU to tie me up for the time being.

I have to say that the experience of getting an EVGA card has nothing but a disappointing one. I am not entitled to the Powerlink promo, not entitled for the Gear of War 4 code giveaway. Being a ham-handed fella, I have asked my local IT online forum members whether anyone is willing to assist in helping to apply the said cooling pads (if I can get my hands on, fingers crossed) and none of them are willing as to avoid any negative repercussion stemming from the DIY MOD. The subsequent alternative was to send over to EVGA’s Technical offices in Taiwan for the RMA exchange and postage alone will cost me approx. RM 200

This is as opposed to my experience I had assisting my office colleague in his Polaris card from a certain Taiwanese brand with a penchant for gaudy dragon images on their gaming range products. (I did not buy that brand because initially I still don't wish to make my system internals to look like a disco-fied Chinese restaurant, and yes I am Chinese for the record). This brand was actually very helpful in situations such as bricked cards due to crappy BIOS mods, willing to accept RMA after my colleague unscrewed the backplate, etc). This company may not have all the bells and whistles of free gifts, step up programs etc but to me a simple personalized call with a supporting follow-up email really sealed the deal for me for my next upgrade in the near future (since this company has products for Nvidia cards too).

I am not here to ask for full refund neither for a free, all cost bearing RMA program, but I just humbly appeal the corporate heads to consider having a regional technical office either in Malaysia or even Singapore to serve the greater part of South East Asian countries and also to have the step up program extended to our end also not just limited to luxury confines of certain Western Hemisphere countries at the very least in the foreseeable future. With the current situation in hand, I am anticipating a rather huge cut down in resell prices for my card in the foreseeable future should I decide to upgrade to a better card.
These are my rant after blowing 65% of my monthly salary (which is the same of amount of my received bonus) on a GPU which I had high hopes for but just gave me concerns and trepidation time and again after receiving it within less than a month.

Thank you for reading.

+1

Plus I don't think that would be too much if the ones who decide to fix the problem without doing a RMA could receive a free copy of some PC game or such. Yes it's not free but it would still be quite cheap price for maintaining your reputation. Currently we have paid premium price for the cards we need to fix ourselves just because someone at EVGA has decided to save some money by not puting these pads in the first place.

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
seahawkgfx
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 01:21:10 (permalink)
Bette extend the warranty to 5 years for users doing the mod.
milanovic
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 01:26:38 (permalink)
seahawkgfx

How many of them would actually benefit from that warranty? :-) I don't think many of us here would use these cards even after 3 years from now. :-)

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
saviorx
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 01:45:31 (permalink)

milanovic
Plus I don't think that would be too much if the ones who decide to fix the problem without doing a RMA could receive a free copy of some PC game or such. Yes it's not free but it would still be quite cheap price for maintaining your reputation. Currently we have paid premium price for the cards we need to fix ourselves just because someone at EVGA has decided to save some money by not puting these pads in the first place.

I can do the thermal pad installation myself. It's simple enough. Though, I wouldn't mind a free copy of Gears 4.I wasn't eligible and bought my card like 2 months ago

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW DT
Sir Petus
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 01:48:23 (permalink)
yes, i will.
at the time I bought it no one told me you cheaped out on 3 cents thermal pads, and that your cooling solution is poor.
other brands will stay silent while having the same or better temps, and have better resale value.
What are you achieving with this? laughing and lying on the face of your customers, unbelievable.
seahawkgfx
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 01:52:53 (permalink)
milanovic
seahawkgfx

How many of them would actually benefit from that warranty? :-) I don't think many of us here would use these cards even after 3 years from now. :-)

It would probably improve the resale value though.
milanovic
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 02:00:39 (permalink)
seahawkgfx
milanovic
seahawkgfx

Yeah. Currently it's hard to recommend EVGA to anyone because some shops might still have unfixed units in stock. Let's see how will this been handled by EVGA.

ps. I've requested thermal pads days ago and apart from automatic confirmation email no signs of shipping what so ever.

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
jcykassy
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 02:15:20 (permalink)
i am a customer(1070SC) from shanghai,china
i focus the forum few days
i think this way(vbios,add pad)just was the best way what does't spend much cost with EVGA
may be we wiil get the better ACX4.0 in the next 2070 2080..but not now
Excuse me for my english :)
panaikas
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 02:28:11 (permalink)
seahawkgfx
milanovic
seahawkgfx

+1
All computer parts and especially the gpus after months lost the values because of the new products coming in near future,
an additional factor if you want to sell someone gpu EVGA 10xx series, now all  know that had "problem with temperatures"
and the buyers ask you for lower price the card from the corresponding of the same card of other manufactures.

So the extenion warranty to 5 years will cover the gap of lost money if you resale the card from other brands.
As the EVGA said there is no problem with temps and if they are so sure they must extend the warranty so the consumers to be calm.
The solution of thermal pads - vbios - and exetend warranty I think will cover all the consumers and the "oversight" they made.
post edited by panaikas - 2016/11/03 02:36:49
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 02:51:29 (permalink)
Please answer me...

If I dont overclock, I will not in the future (or a little one), I put an agressive fan curve, the fan is 57% when I play BF1 and I have a maximum temperature of 55 degres, this is very low for a gpu...

We agree that the pads is not necessary for me ? If it's necessary for my usage, the problem is bigger that we all think... 
panaikas
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:00:33 (permalink)
ilyama
Please answer me...
If I dont overclock, I will not in the future (or a little one), I put an agressive fan curve, the fan is 57% when I play BF1 and I have a maximum temperature of 55 degres, this is very low for a gpu...
We agree that the pads is not necessary for me ? If it's necessary for my usage, the problem is bigger that we all think... 

As they told the thermal pads are optional, so you don't have problem either at stock either at OC but only in extreme/worst scenario (furmark and low rpm fans).
As I told previous if EVGA want to calm the consumers  they might think to extend the warranty period.
wils07
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:06:21 (permalink)
Why does the thermal pad guide not mention the use of a antistatic matting to prevent damage from ESD shock?

ASUS ROG gene VIII
6700K 4.6Ghz
16gb corsair dominator 2800mhz
Palit gamerock 1080GTX 2000mhz
Seasonic platinum 1050w
3 x 850 pro ssd
1 x m.2 512
ROG swift
evanpie
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:10:18 (permalink)
When I play gears of war 4 my gpu temp is 78 C . My 1080 gtx ftw Will be fine without thermal pad and newvbios ?
qwerdavid
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:33:23 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update

11/1/2016 - Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).

EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:
  • On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
  • However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.
Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.

To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures.  This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly.   This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available.  This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit  

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.
All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

*The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland.  EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.

FAQ

Q. Which cards are supported by these updates?
A. EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:

*Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.

Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?
A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.

Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?
A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.

Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?
A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.

Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?
A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*

Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?
A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.  

what about asia users? I am a Chinese user. How long can I got my thermal pad?
the_hawk_dk
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:40:06 (permalink)
Trying desperately to reach the EU support, but response is flaky at best. 

I am very disappointed in EVGA about this. I bought a 1070 FTW as my first EVGA card, and it has issues. I am not paying a premium for a product that I have to disassemble to fix. 

Hopefully EVGA will act a bit better than just offering some thermal pads. Do we have any guarantee that our cards have not taken damage, and will fail down the line? Nope. 

For a company with supposedly great service, this leaves alot to be desired. I hope EVGA follows through with this, though. 
gregoryv
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:45:47 (permalink)
wils07
Why does the thermal pad guide not mention the use of a antistatic matting to prevent damage from ESD shock?

+1

Intel I9-10900K OC | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Custom WC | Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero WiFi | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 2X Samsung 970 Evo 1 Tb | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | Asus ROG PG348Q | BenQ EW3280U 4K |

SkullyFM
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:56:27 (permalink)
milanovicps. I've requested thermal pads days ago and apart from automatic confirmation email no signs of shipping what so ever.

Same here. When I check the page evga.com/thermalmod I can see the status as "Your request is awaiting approval". It has been like that since the last 7 days.
Edit: I'm in Europe (France)
post edited by SkullyFM - 2016/11/03 03:59:49
new0ne
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 03:59:43 (permalink)
EVGA is doing something - right?
So what do u expect? Someone that comes to your home, bring a cake and brand new card with installed pads, better cooler and and and?
They give you the solutions, we have already video on youtube, we have pictures and the warranty is not lost if you break something.

So please tell me now: How much better could they do now? You need 30 minutes time (if you are not an expert and take care) to do all this?
Remove card, follow video, drink a coffee, wait for the pad and bios update and everything is fine? 

And you have warranty - so WHAT?
I REALLY cant understand what you all have to complain about. I dont understand your problem now.

And please - they wont turn your fan with +50% and I am sure this new fan-curve will be 1-2 db louder. And? 

Please tell me what you get from other?
Like your washmachine, car, TV, notebook, bike, receiver, router, gaming console... how do u think will they all save the issue?

mikedowen
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:09:46 (permalink)
Have some patience guys.
EVGA did say that it could take a couple of weeks before the pads would start shipping. So that should be sometime next week.
I doubt if everyone's cards are going to go pop in that short a period, unless you sit watching FURMARK (or the like) for countless hours.

Not defending EVGA here. As the situation is far form ideal and the PR side hasn't maybe been handled as well as it could have been. Just trying to be practical.

I'll just slip on my flame retardant suit now
carb1de
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:13:15 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
carb1de
my 1070 FTW hits 82°C at 1440p approx. 100-130 average FPS on standard fan profile (playing DOOM). it also crashes with an odd checquerboard back to desktop.

if I flash this bios, and install the pads, will the problem go away, or has the memory now been cooked? as I understand it, the actual VRM temp isn't so much of an issue as the heat soak to the memory with a max 95°C operating temp?

When does the actual burning of components happen? after VRM temp has been sat above ###°C sustained?

Didn't realise the brilliant advance rma service is only available if you take it out with the first 30 days of registration. so I will be left without a video card if it dies?

Can't believe I didn't buy the MSI gaming x for the same price! miffed!

Have you check your gpu to see if it has micron memory? If you have micron memory, have you updated the bios for micron memory? If jot, you should do that now, and see if it helps.

I do have the micron memory, but wasn't sure, if i flash to the micron fix bios, then flash this latest fan fix bios, whether i lose the fix for micron? the latest bios addresses only the fan profile, so i assume it is stock shipped bios and will undo the micron fix?

Also, you put my comment about advance RMA in bold, does that mean I was wrong? can I pay extra to organise an advance replacement?

It's just that I wanted to buy a good GTX 1070, then just use it for a few years, now it seems (to ensure reliable operation and a lifetime comparable to other manufacturers) I need to:

1. Bios flash for micron memory to fix high/low load state voltages causing crashes and chequerboards

2. Bios flash to have the fan on constant to avoid overheating

3. disassemble product to check if the standard thermal pads are even touching the VRM and memory modules

4. Order and fit additional thermal pads to bring product cooling in line with other manufacturers

I know people are going to say "you don't need to do anything, there's no problem with this or any EVGA product, just use it" and that actually may be true, but the fact it doesn't work reliably straight out of the box, and I have to create a user account and post here and spend time working as a technical support engineer for my own product is a tad tiring, and it sows the seed of doubt about QC within EVGA.

Maybe I'll just do 1. and set my own fan profile and just hope my card doesn't melt and try to forget about the whole thing. £450 / $550 / €500 for a brand new, top of the line card manufactured by a company with the best support (apparently) in the business, I would have expected an advance RMA with all the issues attended to thrust at all owners, but maybe that's too much to hope for!
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24079
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:23:32 (permalink)
carb1de
Scarlet-Tech
carb1de
my 1070 FTW hits 82°C at 1440p approx. 100-130 average FPS on standard fan profile (playing DOOM). it also crashes with an odd checquerboard back to desktop.

if I flash this bios, and install the pads, will the problem go away, or has the memory now been cooked? as I understand it, the actual VRM temp isn't so much of an issue as the heat soak to the memory with a max 95°C operating temp?

When does the actual burning of components happen? after VRM temp has been sat above ###°C sustained?

Didn't realise the brilliant advance rma service is only available if you take it out with the first 30 days of registration. so I will be left without a video card if it dies?

Can't believe I didn't buy the MSI gaming x for the same price! miffed!

Have you check your gpu to see if it has micron memory? If you have micron memory, have you updated the bios for micron memory? If jot, you should do that now, and see if it helps.

I do have the micron memory, but wasn't sure, if i flash to the micron fix bios, then flash this latest fan fix bios, whether i lose the fix for micron? the latest bios addresses only the fan profile, so i assume it is stock shipped bios and will undo the micron fix?

Also, you put my comment about advance RMA in bold, does that mean I was wrong? can I pay extra to organise an advance replacement?

It's just that I wanted to buy a good GTX 1070, then just use it for a few years, now it seems (to ensure reliable operation and a lifetime comparable to other manufacturers) I need to:

1. Bios flash for micron memory to fix high/low load state voltages causing crashes and chequerboards

2. Bios flash to have the fan on constant to avoid overheating

3. disassemble product to check if the standard thermal pads are even touching the VRM and memory modules

4. Order and fit additional thermal pads to bring product cooling in line with other manufacturers

I know people are going to say "you don't need to do anything, there's no problem with this or any EVGA product, just use it" and that actually may be true, but the fact it doesn't work reliably straight out of the box, and I have to create a user account and post here and spend time working as a technical support engineer for my own product is a tad tiring, and it sows the seed of doubt about QC within EVGA.

Maybe I'll just do 1. and set my own fan profile and just hope my card doesn't melt and try to forget about the whole thing. £450 / $550 / €500 for a brand new, top of the line card manufactured by a company with the best support (apparently) in the business, I would have expected an advance RMA with all the issues attended to thrust at all owners, but maybe that's too much to hope for!

The micron bios fix should be addressed with the new Bios as well. The new Bios would not revert the memory back.

Also, it would be good to see if it corrects your issues while we wait for the new Bios options, so that you can see if something is wrong. If so, then you can RMA and have everything fixed at once.

I will be flashing the bios, installing the new thermal pads, and all of that. I am not doing it specifically because I think there is an issue, but if I sell the card, I don't want to have to tell someone else to do it if they want it done.

For the advanced RMA, make sure your card is registered and the advanced rma option is purchased, and it will save you lots of time.
carb1de
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:30:57 (permalink)
the_hawk_dk

I am very disappointed in EVGA about this. I bought a 1070 FTW as my first EVGA card, and it has issues. I am not paying a premium for a product that I have to disassemble to fix. 

Hopefully EVGA will act a bit better than just offering some thermal pads. Do we have any guarantee that our cards have not taken damage, and will fail down the line? Nope. 

For a company with supposedly great service, this leaves alot to be desired. I hope EVGA follows through with this, though. 

In exactly the same boat, I've sent 4 support requests now, one was unanswered, the other three say it's just bad press:

EVGA support
I am afraid what you have seen about this issue is more of bad press then actually true. The tests where our Card reached high temps was in a benchtable with a Software that is not certified by NVIDIA and known also with previous Generation to damage Cards. We have not noticed any issues during regular usage of the Card. Because we do pay Attention to the concerns of our community we do offer the thermal pad as an Option to install afterwards but generally the Cards are fine.

fair enough, Furmark (a power virus) is bad, but the high temp tests were with metro or a benchmark software used I think? If EVGA noticed no issues during testing, why have I got such a list of things I have to do now just to have some kind of trust in such an expensive, uprated piece of hardware?
MarcoSil
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:36:34 (permalink)
How Can I do an advanced RMA to replace my card from EVGA? Because my gtx 1070 model  if affected by PWM Operating Temperature bug.
I don't know what I must do and what is the process. Thanks

I read only: 
  • Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?
  • A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS's, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.
  • PAULB73
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:43:46 (permalink)
    Updating the vbios is very simple indeed and I have no problem with that.

However, my card then becomes noisier and is no longer the product I bought. One of the reasons I picked this model was how quiet it was.

I'm certainly not prepared to dismantle a £400 video card, nor am I prepared to send it off for RMA only to have it replaced with a manky old refurb.

I'm not impressed with the way EVGA are handling this. It is seriously tarnishing their image in my opinion.
    mikedowen
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:48:43 (permalink)
    As to any "potential" extra noise issue with the latest BIOS that they are going to offer soon. Why don't we wait and see what what they've done with the stock fan curve before assuming everyone's card is soon to sound like a hoover on overload.

The fans are all but inaudible up to 60 % (current profile only hit 30% fan speed at 70C), so they've got loads of room to play with, without making the fans super noisy.
    Or do what I and many others do, set up your own fan curve.

Patience is a virtue sometimes.
    GFAFS
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:50:20 (permalink)
    the_hawk_dk

Clearly!

1 Ticket opened Yesterday, 1 today, to get a ticket number, necessary for THE RMA (asked a free cross shipping), no answer yet. As i said before, I WILL NOT temper with my card to apply some "clanky" inefficient solutions nor doing their job.(Keeping in mind that the temps damages may already been done by using it as is during a few months).

If they want me to play it dishonestly, as they seems to play it right now, i will wait until the new card revision is out in a few months from now, hardware/design problem solved, and run furmark 7/7 (or my 3D rendering routine) to burn the card down and RMA it then sale it, to buy another brand.

What it's gonna be EVGA?
    post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 04:57:55
    dzernesto
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 04:57:45 (permalink)
    You'll have a specific BIOS for cards that use Samsung memories ?

carb1de
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:00:05 (permalink)
    mikedowen
    As to any "potential" extra noise issue with the latest BIOS that they are going to offer soon. Why don't we wait and see what what they've done with the stock fan curve before assuming everyone's card is soon to sound like a hoover on overload.

The fans are all but inaudible up to 60 % (current profile only hit 30% fan speed at 70C), so they've got loads of room to play with, without making the fans super noisy.
    Or do what I and many others do, set up your own fan curve.

Patience is a virtue sometimes.

They sold us advertising of 0dB and 0% fan speeds, the same as every other manufacturer. If EVGA were the only ones capable of this, then these issues cropped up, maybe fair enough, maybe they stretched too far and it'd be understandable, but there's nothing here not being done by any other card company.

For me it makes little difference under load, as it sits at 82-83°C so ~68% which is on the cusp of sounding like a hoover :-p but it would be nice to have it shut up when not under load.

Patience is a virtue sometimes, but not when you purchased an item based on its advertised capabilities only to have them removed later on, or have to remove them yourself through fear of total failure of the product!

I'd like someone to confirm, but everything i read states: if you don't purchase advanced RMA within 30 days of registration the option is unavailable forever
    Seems crazy it's an optional upgrade, almost like it's assumed it will happen!
    Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 76
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile