EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!Update 11/9/16 with NEW BIOS - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 PWM Temperature Update

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 76
Author
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:03:47 (permalink)
dzernesto
You'll have a specific BIOS for cards that use Samsung memories ?

Unlikely, they certainly don't want to emphasis on the cutting corner situation "different RAM brand", nor having multiple Bios for the same card, may be to complex to manage for some.
_inkubux_
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:05:22 (permalink)
Stupid question about the SC black edition. 
Since there is no backplate on this card I guess, I just need to install the pads made for the cooler and midplate ? 
I won't have any benefits installing the pads on the backside of the card without a backplate ?
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:17:41 (permalink)
carb1de

I'd like someone to confirm, but everything i read states: if you don't purchase advanced RMA within 30 days of registration the option is unavailable forever
Seems crazy it's an optional upgrade, almost like it's assumed it will happen!

Not sure where you've read this, but even if it was true, they stated this   / on the 11/01/2016 News

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.

* The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland. EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.

post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 05:24:02
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:18:11 (permalink)

Is it possible to see the fan curve with the all new VBIOS. The one who "fix" the temperatures issues.

AND 

Is it possible to see the fan curve original, the very first one with the 0db mode.

Thanks !
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:29:41 (permalink)
ilyama
Please answer me...

If I dont overclock, I will not in the future (or a little one), I put an agressive fan curve, the fan is 57% when I play BF1 and I have a maximum temperature of 55 degres, this is very low for a gpu...

We agree that the pads is not necessary for me ? If it's necessary for my usage, the problem is bigger that we all think... 

According to some EVGA propaganda, there is nothing to worry about without any bios updates or pads, all components are well within the specs (NOT!), so take their words for it and see what happen (BAD THINGS if you ask me, Physic always win), but you'll be covered by what they are claiming.
Make some screen capture of the said press release for your peace of mind.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 05:32:33
ilyama
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:40:00 (permalink)
Another question.

EVGA will change the ACX 3.0 or add pad for the future production of 1070/1080 ?

yes or no ? Or it will be the exact same card ?
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:45:04 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
jedkoh
Being a ham-handed fella, I have asked my local IT online forum members whether anyone is willing to assist in helping to apply the said cooling pads (if I can get my hands on, fingers crossed) and none of them are willing as to avoid any negative repercussion stemming from the DIY MOD. The subsequent alternative was to send over to EVGA’s Technical offices in Taiwan for the RMA exchange and postage alone will cost me approx. RM 200

Doing this is not going to effect your warranty. Evga does not void warranties for removing coolers. They never have and they probably never will void a warranty because of removing the cooler.

Replacing everything is extremely easy. It take less than an hour, and gamer nexus website just posted a video with step by step instruction on what do to.

Yes for removing the cooler indeed. But what about this stated on the Thermal Pad Mod howto PDF released by EVGA? Physical damage is always possible if you are "ham-handed" right? (the intentional part may then have to be proven by the customer)

The EVGA graphics card warranty may be void if the end-user causes intentional physical or water damage to the graphics card during the course of installation of the Thermal Pad Mod; installation of the Thermal Pad Mod, however, will not void your warranty, even in the case of accidental damage, if installation is consistent with this Thermal Pad Mod Installation Guide. EVGA will not be held liable for the physical or water damage of your GTX™ 1080, GTX™ 1070 or any other associated hardware if damage is caused to the graphics card intentionally.

post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 05:49:38
new0ne
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:45:45 (permalink)
ilyama
Another question.

EVGA will change the ACX 3.0 or add pad for the future production of 1070/1080 ?

yes or no ? Or it will be the exact same card ?

all cards manufactured after 1st of Nov if I remember
Cards which are on stock at your reseller of course not. so the thing is - you cant and you never will know because they will not get a new name or any other hint
new0ne
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:50:18 (permalink)
GFAFS
Scarlet-Tech
jedkoh
Being a ham-handed fella, I have asked my local IT online forum members whether anyone is willing to assist in helping to apply the said cooling pads (if I can get my hands on, fingers crossed) and none of them are willing as to avoid any negative repercussion stemming from the DIY MOD. The subsequent alternative was to send over to EVGA’s Technical offices in Taiwan for the RMA exchange and postage alone will cost me approx. RM 200

Doing this is not going to effect your warranty. Evga does not void warranties for removing coolers. They never have and they probably never will void a warranty because of removing the cooler.

Replacing everything is extremely easy. It take less than an hour, and gamer nexus website just posted a video with step by step instruction on what do to.

Yes for removing the cooler indeed. But what about this stated on the Thermal Pad Mod howto PDF released by EVGA? Physical damage is always possible if you are "ham-handed" right?

The EVGA graphics card warranty may be void if the end-user causes intentional physical or water damage to the graphics card during the course of installation of the Thermal Pad Mod; installation of the Thermal Pad Mod, however, will not void your warranty, even in the case of accidental damage, if installation is consistent with this Thermal Pad Mod Installation Guide. EVGA will not be held liable for the physical or water damage of your GTX™ 1080, GTX™ 1070 or any other associated hardware if damage is caused to the graphics card intentionally.

Sorry but what the hell do u plan? If you are not working with a drilling machine or couge you will not damage anything.

Graphic cards are not so sensitive as so many ppl think
mikedowen
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 05:52:22 (permalink)
carb1de
mikedowen
As to any "potential" extra noise issue with the latest BIOS that they are going to offer soon. Why don't we wait and see what what they've done with the stock fan curve before assuming everyone's card is soon to sound like a hoover on overload.

The fans are all but inaudible up to 60 % (current profile only hit 30% fan speed at 70C), so they've got loads of room to play with, without making the fans super noisy.
Or do what I and many others do, set up your own fan curve.

Patience is a virtue sometimes.

They sold us advertising of 0dB and 0% fan speeds, the same as every other manufacturer. If EVGA were the only ones capable of this, then these issues cropped up, maybe fair enough, maybe they stretched too far and it'd be understandable, but there's nothing here not being done by any other card company.

For me it makes little difference under load, as it sits at 82-83°C so ~68% which is on the cusp of sounding like a hoover :-p but it would be nice to have it shut up when not under load.

Patience is a virtue sometimes, but not when you purchased an item based on its advertised capabilities only to have them removed later on, or have to remove them yourself through fear of total failure of the product!

I'd like someone to confirm, but everything i read states: if you don't purchase advanced RMA within 30 days of registration the option is unavailable forever
Seems crazy it's an optional upgrade, almost like it's assumed it will happen!

Fair enough. But once again, why not at least wait until they actually have the new BIOS available for you to try. There's also still no reason why the new fan curve could not say be passive up to something like 30C and then start to ramp up quicker than the current stock fan curve (like my custom fan curve does). Even if they choose to have it ticking over at low RPM (say 20/30%) at low temps, this again will be inaudible I would have thought. Can't see that they would take a blunt instrument approach and have the fans running at, for example, 80% all the time (that would be crazy). But until they actually release the new BIOS, it's all speculation.

I'm assuming from your load temps, that you live in a climate with a high ambient air temp. If so, then I'm surprised that you wouldn't have either gone for either the hybrid solution, or a custom water block. I'm lucky I suppose and live in a cool part of the world and with my custom fan curve, games run at worst high 50's to low 60's. And this I would have thought must help with VRM temps as well (IE. cooler air flow and less severe heat bleed across the PCB).

Lets hope that in the end, everyone can find a solution that suits them. Good luck mate.
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:01:31 (permalink)
new0ne

Sorry but what the hell do u plan? If you are not working with a drilling machine or couge you will not damage anything.

Graphic cards are not so sensitive as so many ppl think

I know exactly how sensitive PCB/Card/Components are, thank you. And what i plan to do is not tempering with my +500 asset in any way, the situation being an EVGA messed up to fix. I'm a costumer, not an EVGA employee, got the nuance?

post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 06:46:32
iambert
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:07:35 (permalink)
GFAFS
the_hawk_dk
Trying desperately to reach the EU support, but response is flaky at best. 

I am very disappointed in EVGA about this. I bought a 1070 FTW as my first EVGA card, and it has issues. I am not paying a premium for a product that I have to disassemble to fix. 

Hopefully EVGA will act a bit better than just offering some thermal pads. Do we have any guarantee that our cards have not taken damage, and will fail down the line? Nope. 

For a company with supposedly great service, this leaves alot to be desired. I hope EVGA follows through with this, though. 

Clearly!

1 Ticket opened Yesterday, 1 today, to get a ticket number, necessary for THE RMA (asked a free cross shipping), no answer yet. As i said before, I WILL NOT temper with my card to apply some "clanky" inefficient solutions nor doing their job.(Keeping in mind that the temps damages may already been done by using it as is during a few months).

This is EXACTLY my concern. Im glad that EVGA is willing to cross ship for free as to my knowledge, advanced RMA is an additional cost. My only concern is, if you're paying 600+ for a video card and you bought it BRAND NEW, I for sure would not like the fact that I would be sending in a brand new card and receiving a card thats been used or an employee opened it up with their own hands, stuck on the pads, and sent it back to the customer. I'm trying to figure out when these mods or a new revised card would be manufactured direct out of the factory as I would want a card thats is brand new shrink wrapped. Is my request unreasonable? 
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:15:17 (permalink)
iambert

This is EXACTLY my concern. Im glad that EVGA is willing to cross ship for free as to my knowledge, advanced RMA is an additional cost. My only concern is, if you're paying 600+ for a video card and you bought it BRAND NEW, I for sure would not like the fact that I would be sending in a brand new card and receiving a card thats been used or an employee opened it up with their own hands, stuck on the pads, and sent it back to the customer. I'm trying to figure out when these mods or a new revised card would be manufactured direct out of the factory as I would want a card thats is brand new shrink wrapped. Is my request unreasonable?

Your request as a costumer is TOTALLY reasonable, you're asking what's due to you. You paid for a brand new card, no reason for you to get a refurbish, not in that particular case. Hell we could even ask a FULL refund and go elsewhere!, for now what we are asking for an exchange for a Brand New defect free Card! even though the card is tanking in resell Value!!

For EVGA in the other hand, it's a logistic nightmare, but as customers we shouldn't care about it, at ALL.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 06:22:51
ilyama
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:16:11 (permalink)
All of this is true ?

The good news is that EVGA has already promised free provision of thermal pads for DIY modding by users. In our discussion with EVGA's Jacob Freeman on the phone, we also learned that EVGA would replace users' cards at no charge to the user. An owner would have to send the device in to EVGA in order to receive a new device with the thermal pads pre-applied. EVGA's thermal pad mod brings operating temperature of the VRM closer to 75C, which is actually pretty damn good. That allows more than enough amperage to the GPU, and ensures more efficient operation. The company deserves credit for this rapid response and free solution to an issue that we are still trying to understand.
We have also been informed that the factory is now making changes to products as they ship, ensuring that new batches of the GTX 1080 FTW and 1070 FTW products will include thermal pads pre-installed.

So if it's optionnal what are you gonna put the pads on all the next production of 1070/1080...
It became more than optional if you do that... 
GFAFS
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:25:34 (permalink)
ilyama
All of this is true ?

The good news is that EVGA has  of thermal pads for DIY modding by users. In our discussion with EVGA's Jacob Freeman on the phone, we also learned that EVGA would replace users' cards at no charge to the user. An owner would have to send the device in to EVGA in order to receive a new device with the thermal pads pre-applied. EVGA's thermal pad mod brings operating temperature of the VRM closer to 75C, which is actually pretty damn good. That allows more than enough amperage to the GPU, and ensures more efficient operation. The company deserves credit for this rapid response and free solution to an issue that we are still trying to understand.
We have also been informed that the factory is now making changes to products as they ship, ensuring that new batches of the GTX 1080 FTW and 1070 FTW products will include thermal pads pre-installed.

So if it's optionnal what are you gonna put the pads on all the next production of 1070/1080...

Because they'll never admit blatantly that the optional part is MANDATORY (it's a Company after all). Saying it's mandatory would be like saying:
- We totally messed up. now we have to take full responsibility.
post edited by GFAFS - 2016/11/03 06:57:22
carb1de
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:33:41 (permalink)
mikedowen

Fair enough. But once again, why not at least wait until they actually have the new BIOS available for you to try. There's also still no reason why the new fan curve could not say be passive up to something like 30C and then start to ramp up quicker than the current stock fan curve (like my custom fan curve does). Even if they choose to have it ticking over at low RPM (say 20/30%) at low temps, this again will be inaudible I would have thought. Can't see that they would take a blunt instrument approach and have the fans running at, for example, 80% all the time (that would be crazy). But until they actually release the new BIOS, it's all speculation.

I'm assuming from your load temps, that you live in a climate with a high ambient air temp. If so, then I'm surprised that you wouldn't have either gone for either the hybrid solution, or a custom water block. I'm lucky I suppose and live in a cool part of the world and with my custom fan curve, games run at worst high 50's to low 60's. And this I would have thought must help with VRM temps as well (IE. cooler air flow and less severe heat bleed across the PCB).

Lets hope that in the end, everyone can find a solution that suits them. Good luck mate.

Yeah, that's fair enough, provided they didn't cheap out on the advertised ball bearing fans for sleeve bearings, and they fall to bits within a year. You see, so cynical of me, but imagine if someone had said on release "yeah, those EVGA FTW cards? the cooling will be so bad you'll have to open it up to put self adhesive thermal pads over it and run the fans constantly for fear of overheating" I'd have laughed and suggested such a large, prestigious, experienced  company would never get something like that wrong, just doesn't happen any more.

I live in the UK where we're getting toward freezing in the mornings! ambient (until the FTW warms up the room) is approx 18-20°C

I'm not sure if maybe the TIM was put on incorrectly (or is missing?) but I seem to be the only one on the internet that can't sustain over 1900mhz at less than 60°C

unless everyone runs custom fan profiles and just doesn't mention it? but why should you have to? it's like buying a brand new Ferrari then having to fit a tow bar to tow a trailer to support a new 10x the size radiator just to keep it cool!
relevance
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 06:53:07 (permalink)
my thermal pads were shipped 10/31 according to EVGA but i still haven't got it. i live like 10 miles away from their office. lol. I'll give another day to arrive i guess.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24079
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:01:38 (permalink)
ilyama

Anyone that receives a new card is going to demand this. Why would they wait for the user to receive the card, and then send them the pads if they can save time for themselves and the user in the future?
TommyTomorrow
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:31:54 (permalink)
Hi everyone ;)

It's been about two weeks since I bought my GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0. I've had a few "bad stories" with my previous (AMD) card so after the few years of using it, I made the decision to get back to NVidia once more. Now I'm a little confused. I'm going to make a request for that pads but can you explain the one thing to me? What does "cross-shipping" really mean? I'm not so good with English. Does it mean that if I live in EU, I won't pay anything for sending my card to EVGA and EVGA won't charge me for sending it back to me? I also wanted to know how the RMA process works? I send them my card and have to wait (how many?) days then they send me a new/refurb card?
ace3d
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:34:20 (permalink)
Is the bios out yet for the 1080 FTW don't see it.
ilyama
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:42:05 (permalink)
A friend of mine with a 1070 SC asked the support for his pads, the support answered to him that his product was not affected to this issue, so, no pads for him...

What ????
ilyama
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:44:04 (permalink)
TommyTomorrow
Hi everyone ;)

It's been about two weeks since I bought my GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0. I've had a few "bad stories" with my previous (AMD) card so after the few years of using it, I made the decision to get back to NVidia once more. Now I'm a little confused. I'm going to make a request for that pads but can you explain the one thing to me? What does "cross-shipping" really mean? I'm not so good with English. Does it mean that if I live in EU, I won't pay anything for sending my card to EVGA and EVGA won't charge me for sending it back to me? I also wanted to know how the RMA process works? I send them my card and have to wait (how many?) days then they send me a new/refurb card?

I think cross shipping is the fact that they dont wait your card until they send another one.
But I think you have to pay for the shipment.
And you will have a refurb card.

Someone from EVGA canconfirm what I just said ?
XhyrXoro
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:50:44 (permalink)
I am from Pakistan - and apparently I get this. 

Bought the card from a friend who came back from the US. 

How screwed am I?

Attached Image(s)

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:53:02 (permalink)
ilyama
A friend of mine with a 1070 SC asked the support for his pads, the support answered to him that his product was not affected to this issue, so, no pads for him...

What ????

You need to post the part number.

I am assuming the card is P/N: 08G-P4-6173-KR?

Also, he shouldn't contact support. He should go to www.evga.com/thermalmod to request the pads.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:53:50 (permalink)
XhyrXoro
I am from Pakistan - and apparently I get this. 

Bought the card from a friend who came back from the US. 

How screwed am I?

If nothing else, I will get the pads and send them to you. More than likely EVGA will take care of it though.
Xero717
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 07:59:01 (permalink)
So I have one of the earlier GTX 1080 FTW cards in my system right now. For a couple months I've had crashes to the point I had to underclock the card by 200 mhz just to play some games. I definitely noticed how sometimes the fans went crazy but since the underclock it rarely leads to a crash.

I thought it was driver issues but now I think differently. I'm completely stable at desktop, but still have the random artifacts occasionally show up on screen while gaming. Is my card permanently damaged? Will it possibly die sooner from experiencing this? The uncertainty really isn't fun.

Also when can we expect the pads to ship out?
DSP1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 08:04:18 (permalink)
Xero717
So I have one of the earlier GTX 1080 FTW cards in my system right now. For a couple months I've had crashes to the point I had to underclock the card by 200 mhz just to play some games. I definitely noticed how sometimes the fans went crazy but since the underclock it rarely leads to a crash.

I thought it was driver issues but now I think differently. I'm completely stable at desktop, but still have the random artifacts occasionally show up on screen while gaming. Is my card permanently damaged? Will it possibly die sooner from experiencing this? The uncertainty really isn't fun.

Also when can we expect the pads to ship out?

Pads aren't going to help you.
Your card has a defective part and needs to be sent back immediately.
Apply for RMA.
Send the piece of crap back to them.

Xfade81
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 08:05:55 (permalink)
Wesleydn
I need these pads!!!

My EVGA GTX 1080 SC is running at 91C with 90% fan speed when i play BF1 on ultra at 1440p.

I live in South Africa these pads will be a few month if at all... cant EVGA also provide us with the size and thickness of the pads?
For people who have access to thermal pads, cant we make our own?

The kit includes:
  • "Narrow" thermal pad for inductors: ~1.8mm x ~27mm x ~109mm
  • "Wide" thermal pad for rear-side of PCB: ~2mm x ~56mm x ~109mm
  • Thermal compound. Ours was 5W/mK, but the kits will vary based on supply.
mrftw
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 08:20:56 (permalink)
does anyone know when the bios update is going to be released im kinda scared to run games at this point i applied for the thermal pads but god knows when they will come in. im getting 70-74 degrees C just playing overwatch not even on maxed settings either so ...
ilyama
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/03 08:27:32 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
ilyama

What ????

You need to post the part number.

I am assuming the card is P/N: 08G-P4-6173-KR?

Also, he shouldn't contact support. He should go to www.evga.com/thermalmod to request the pads.

He first use the thermalmod link but he's still (like me) in "need to approval"
So he contacted the support today to know what's happening and the support tell him that is product's not concerned... 
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 76
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile