AnsweredRed Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 33
Author
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/13 21:53:06 (permalink)
druuzil
Rytir
I just ran sli and it loaded just fine. It seems to be better for me than before, card used to be both 98% and would heat up quick, bow they are high 80s like around 88%. The benchmark completed with high of 143 and avg 93 fps at 5120x1440. It gave me the err in the middle of a moonshine mission. I deleted the files and will test again when I get home, had to run to airport. What cards are you running?

I have an EVGA XC2 Ultra and a Zotac Amp Maxx.  The XC2 ultra has an AIO cooler installed and never breaks 50 degrees.  The Zotac uses its stock cooler (no way to install an AIO without custom modding something; It's not a reference board), but the max temp it's reached has been ~70 degrees.
Kind of disparate cards I realize, but again they work fine in every other game that supports SLI.  My CPU is an i9 9900k, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz.  Tried installing first on an NVME SSD from Crucial, now tested on a Sandisk SATA3 SSD.

After reinstalling the game to a totally different drive, the game still will not load.  It just closes itself and says it closed unexpectedly.  Weirdly before I launched the game it claimed there were "unexpected files" in the installation directory, which is impossible since I installed it to a different drive and the only files in the directory are the ones Rockstar themselves installed.  I checked the installation folder but I don't see any files that shouldn't be there.

Those are 2080ti I take it? The only thing I did was  set windows not to install driver because they screw things up, like taskbar not ever going away in window mode. So are you using the standard or the DCH version I think its called. DDU clean and shut down then installed second card and the game loaded fine. Ive used mixed cards before and they have worked fine together, this game is just picky as hell. For the unexpected file are you using reshade or tried to use reshade?

CPU: Intel 10920x @ 4.8/5.1ghz 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum  AIO
Case: Corsair 1000D
Motherboard: MSI Creator x299
Memory: Gskill Silver Royal DDR-4000 C17 32 Gigs
Video Cards: 2X Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti FE's
Sound Card: Creative AE-9 Soundcard
Main Monitor: Samsung 49" CRG9 Dual QHD Monitor 5120x1440 @ 120hz
Secondary Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440 @ 100hz
Speakers: Logitech Z906 5.1
Headphones: Sennheiser GSP 600 
Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex Pro
Storage: 5x 2TB Corsair MP510
uggis007
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 04:19:25 (permalink)

[aquote=Rytir]
I just ran sli and it loaded just fine. It seems to be better for me than before, card used to be both 98% and would heat up quick, bow they are high 80s like around 88%. The benchmark completed with high of 143 and avg 93 fps at 5120x1440. It gave me the err in the middle of a moonshine mission. I deleted the files and will test again when I get home, had to run to airport. What cards are you running?

Do you care share your graphic settings? Thanks
post edited by uggis007 - 2019/12/14 04:21:40
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 07:11:13 (permalink)
I mostly use the settings from Hardware Unboxed optimized settings with the exception of lighting being on ultra. Seems it still only runs a hour or so with SLI and craps out with either ERR or just Unexpected.

uggis007
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 07:59:05 (permalink)
Nowawaka
I mostly use the settings from Hardware Unboxed optimized settings with the exception of lighting being on ultra. Seems it still only runs a hour or so with SLI and craps out with either ERR or just Unexpected.

Would you say it’s a huge difference between does settings and ultra?
druuzil
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 08:19:12 (permalink)
Nowawaka
druuzil
Rytir

I have an EVGA XC2 Ultra and a Zotac Amp Maxx.  The XC2 ultra has an AIO cooler installed and never breaks 50 degrees.  The Zotac uses its stock cooler (no way to install an AIO without custom modding something; It's not a reference board), but the max temp it's reached has been ~70 degrees.
Kind of disparate cards I realize, but again they work fine in every other game that supports SLI.  My CPU is an i9 9900k, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz.  Tried installing first on an NVME SSD from Crucial, now tested on a Sandisk SATA3 SSD.

After reinstalling the game to a totally different drive, the game still will not load.  It just closes itself and says it closed unexpectedly.  Weirdly before I launched the game it claimed there were "unexpected files" in the installation directory, which is impossible since I installed it to a different drive and the only files in the directory are the ones Rockstar themselves installed.  I checked the installation folder but I don't see any files that shouldn't be there.

Those are 2080ti I take it? The only thing I did was  set windows not to install driver because they screw things up, like taskbar not ever going away in window mode. So are you using the standard or the DCH version I think its called. DDU clean and shut down then installed second card and the game loaded fine. Ive used mixed cards before and they have worked fine together, this game is just picky as hell. For the unexpected file are you using reshade or tried to use reshade?

Yes they're 2080 Ti's.  I did a clean driver install using DDU and disabled my network connection on the reboot so Windows wouldn't try to install a driver for me.  Using the Standard driver, not DCH (if you don't disable your internet while you do the clean install it'll force you to use DCH).  

I did not install Reshade, it's a clean installation of the game on a totally different SSD, brand new directory.  It's not possible for there to be any unexpected files unless Rockstar themselves put it there.
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 09:00:37 (permalink)
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil
Rytir

Yes they're 2080 Ti's.  I did a clean driver install using DDU and disabled my network connection on the reboot so Windows wouldn't try to install a driver for me.  Using the Standard driver, not DCH (if you don't disable your internet while you do the clean install it'll force you to use DCH).  

I did not install Reshade, it's a clean installation of the game on a totally different SSD, brand new directory.  It's not possible for there to be any unexpected files unless Rockstar themselves put it there.

There is a setting in DDU to block windows from installing driver so you dont have to disable your connection everytime :) Your windows fully updated? I have social on boot drive and have game on another have a M.2 for each of the stupid launchers, such as steam , epic and uplay and origin. Also I would make a copy of the folder in Documents and then just delete it all, even with a fresh install unless you delete the folder it will use the same settings as before.

post edited by Nowawaka - 2019/12/14 09:05:20

Rytir
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 10:19:25 (permalink)
Honestly without looking really hard it hard to tell a dif. I got about a 15 to 20 fps boost using a single card which made run mostly 45 to 60fps and it was crash free.
uggis007
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 10:28:55 (permalink)
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil
Rytir

Is there a difference between the standard and DCH driver, when all you do is game on the pc?
druuzil
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 10:29:25 (permalink)
Nowawaka
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil
Rytir

There is a setting in DDU to block windows from installing driver so you dont have to disable your connection everytime :) Your windows fully updated? I have social on boot drive and have game on another have a M.2 for each of the stupid launchers, such as steam , epic and uplay and origin. Also I would make a copy of the folder in Documents and then just delete it all, even with a fresh install unless you delete the folder it will use the same settings as before.

Yeah, Windows is fully updated.  I did completely delete the old installation folder, and I deleted everything out of the RDR2 "Settings" folder (the API files and the XML settings file, and the BIN files) so the folder still existed but it was empty.
uggis007
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 10:30:23 (permalink)
Rytir
Honestly without looking really hard it hard to tell a dif. I got about a 15 to 20 fps boost using a single card which made run mostly 45 to 60fps and it was crash free.

Thanks for answering
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 12:03:15 (permalink)
uggis007
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil
Rytir

Is there a difference between the standard and DCH driver, when all you do is game on the pc?

I havnt had much luck with the DCH driver, it requires you to get he Nvidia control panel from windows store. Its basically a different way of installing versus the standard driver. The one time I used it I got the taskbar always there bug in window mode and it was so annoying lol and the only way I was able to get rid of it was to reinstall windows and DDU the driver soon as windows was done then did the updates.

Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 12:04:41 (permalink)
uggis007
Rytir

Thanks for answering

No problem I highly recommended watching the videos, very detail and shows comparison of each settings so you can tweak it a little to your liking.

druuzil
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 13:59:01 (permalink)
I have an idea on how to water cool my Amp MAXX which has 16+4 power phases, so I'm going to test that tomorrow and remove my EVGA XC2 Ultra, to see if a single heavily OC'd card is the way to go here.
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 14:11:47 (permalink)
druuzil
I have an idea on how to water cool my Amp MAXX which has 16+4 power phases, so I'm going to test that tomorrow and remove my EVGA XC2 Ultra, to see if a single heavily OC'd card is the way to go here.

Well mine are the FE cards and I was running a 120 core oc and 1k mem oc on air and like I said 45-60+ is very playable and not have wonder if it is going or crash or not. Im lvl 126 and 20 on all 3 professions and 4 on moonshiner and most of that has been using a single card.

druuzil
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 14:39:48 (permalink)
Nowawaka
druuzil

Well mine are the FE cards and I was running a 120 core oc and 1k mem oc on air and like I said 45-60+ is very playable and not have wonder if it is going or crash or not. Im lvl 126 and 20 on all 3 professions and 4 on moonshiner and most of that has been using a single card.

I haven't tried the online version.  
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 15:31:27 (permalink)
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil

Don't know what your missing :) Still a little lost on how you cant get it to load with SLi. I would try maybe setting it to borderless mode and setting vulkan and accepting the change then exit and reload it yourself. I would also turn off Gsync and HDR if your using either, HDR is pretty much a instant crash with SLI.
post edited by Nowawaka - 2019/12/14 16:17:05

Grotti
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 15:31:41 (permalink)
Why
 do I get this error

Attached Image(s)

Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 16:07:47 (permalink)
Grotti
Why
 do I get this error

Sort of need to know what exactly your trying to import :) I know it can be picky on the format being a little off. I would use the one from Nvidia's help page which I posted a link to earlier in this post.

druuzil
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 17:16:40 (permalink)
Nowawaka
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil

Don't know what your missing :) Still a little lost on how you cant get it to load with SLi. I would try maybe setting it to borderless mode and setting vulkan and accepting the change then exit and reload it yourself. I would also turn off Gsync and HDR if your using either, HDR is pretty much a instant crash with SLI.

Hrm, I didn't try shutting off HDR.  I did disable GSYNC however.  I tried multiple ways of getting Vulkan to work and it never did with SLI enabled for more than a few minutes, and once they released the Moonshiners update it ceased to work at all.

I successfully installed my Corsair H60 onto my Zotac AMP MAXX, which is now idling @ 25 and capping out at 45 degrees.  Going to try running the game with just that and maybe OC it to the hilt to see how close I can get to 60 FPS on 1 card.
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 17:54:18 (permalink)
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil

Hrm, I didn't try shutting off HDR.  I did disable GSYNC however.  I tried multiple ways of getting Vulkan to work and it never did with SLI enabled for more than a few minutes, and once they released the Moonshiners update it ceased to work at all.

I successfully installed my Corsair H60 onto my Zotac AMP MAXX, which is now idling @ 25 and capping out at 45 degrees.  Going to try running the game with just that and maybe OC it to the hilt to see how close I can get to 60 FPS on 1 card.

Cool good luck. I would probably say it was the HDR that was causing it to crash. I had a H55 install on one of mine using the NZXT mount. Oh also you can edit the system file in Documents and enable <asyncComputeEnabled value="true"/> default it is set to off but since you run 2080s think should help you get 3-4 fps
post edited by Nowawaka - 2019/12/14 18:48:45

druuzil
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 19:04:38 (permalink)
Nowawaka
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil
Nowawaka
druuzil

Cool good luck. I would probably say it was the HDR that was causing it to crash. I had a H55 install on one of mine using the NZXT mount. Oh also you can edit the system file in Documents and enable <asyncComputeEnabled value="true"/> default it is set to off but since you run 2080s think should help you get 3-4 fps

Yeah I tried the asyncCompute thing but the game was crashing so much I never got to see if it was really making any difference.
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/14 21:59:48 (permalink)
If you had HDR on while you were using SLi that was the cause of most of your  crashes, with it off I can go about 3-4 hours before it ERR or Unexpected crash.

superfufuze
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 02:27:24 (permalink)
hi guys,

I followed the thread till the beginning being as you all trying to make my RDR2 rox with max graphics ;)
few days i try to find some tricks to make my SLI work or find a workaround to up my framerate/graphics settings... without any success and 
waiting for last update to see if something happen...

Today i wanna have a affirmance on what i find. Here is my rig : 6950X; 32 gig 3200 DDR4, GTX 1080Ti SLI; target framerate 60fps @2160p (hard stuff sometimes...)

what i did is to link RDR2.exe to strange brigade profil (foolish deseperate test i know...but nothing to loose in fact) by nvidia inspector and i see my cards breath more closely on load (80%++) than using out of the box Vulkan mgpu profil for RDR2.
no clipping no glitched snow nothing i can see except my monitoring soft overlay clipping a bit over the game.

possibly a new field of experimentation with help of more experienced users than me, game is more smooth for sure but something need to be optimize on textures streaming.

Could someone confirm this pls and put a cent to improve ? thanks !

post edited by superfufuze - 2019/12/15 03:00:42

6950X@4GHz | ASUS R5ED10 | Corsair DOM 32GB@3200MHz | ASUS Strix 1080Ti SLI & Custom EKWB WC loop | ASUS PQ321 2160p@60Hz
BaDBoY_uK
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 148
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 06:43:26 (permalink)
superfufuze
what i did is to link RDR2.exe to strange brigade profil (foolish deseperate test i know...but nothing to loose in fact) by nvidia inspector and i see my cards breath more closely on load (80%++) than using out of the box Vulkan mgpu profil for RDR2.

The profile is the same
BaDBoY_uK
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 07:01:11 (permalink)
I am trying this now

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360040482073/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-on-PC-crashing-with-ERR-GFX-STATE-error

1. Start the Rockstar Games Launcher
  2. Select Settings
  3. Under My installed Games Select Red Dead Redemption 2
  4. Scroll down to Launch arguments
  5. In the Launch Options box, add -ignorepipelinecache
  6. Select Games
  7. Launch Red Dead Redemption 2

Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 12:03:22 (permalink)
BaDBoY_uK
I am trying this now

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360040482073/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-on-PC-crashing-with-ERR-GFX-STATE-error

1. Start the Rockstar Games Launcher
  2. Select Settings
  3. Under My installed Games Select Red Dead Redemption 2
  4. Scroll down to Launch arguments
  5. In the Launch Options box, add -ignorepipelinecache
  6. Select Games
  7. Launch Red Dead Redemption 2

Hmm that might just work :)  Far as the strange Brigade that the first one I used way back at the start of trying to get SLI working. I always had this feeling the ERR was tied to the cache file getting corrupt or something rather than being a GPU clock problem. Seem adding this has change the GPU using now its 87% 93% and fps seems to be a tad better, usages was in the high 80s on both for me after patch.

Update:

Well didn't fix it for me still got the ERR error after about 1hr.
post edited by Nowawaka - 2019/12/15 13:36:11

BaDBoY_uK
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 15:44:12 (permalink)
Nowawaka
Update:

Yeah me too. I am going back to DX12 single GPU. I don't think it'll ever be addressed
Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 16:50:54 (permalink)
BaDBoY_uK
Nowawaka
Update:

Yeah me too. I am going back to DX12 single GPU. I don't think it'll ever be addressed

Yeah seems that way, I even moved the cards around and they dropped 10c in temp. 

Nowawaka
Superclocked Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/15 22:38:02 (permalink)
Well I tested changing the game to another profile, first I did GTA V which seemed to last longer without ERR than RDR profile, so then I tried Strange Bigrade and it didn't crash all night. This was also using the -ignorepipelinecache which BaDBoy_uK posted and was also in the latest patch notes. Fps is good, GPU usage is good and framerate is close to RDR. I know you said the profile was the same but something has to be different for it not to crash and I'm using the latest 441.66 drivers.  I even tried this profile way back when trying to get SLI working in the first place, so not sure what has changed. I also went all over the place because I was doing collector stuff. I will say this though respawn flicker is pretty bad, but other than that I didn't notice any.
post edited by Nowawaka - 2019/12/16 04:58:43

skywalkermibnasa46
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/12/16 05:04:34 (permalink)
From what I have been told by Nvidia, There is no SLI profile in the drivers, the multicard support is native to the application. infact you can disable sli and take off the bridge, it'll still use both cards.So it is due to the lack of optimization of the RockStar not video card's subvendor,but what if we make the voice loudly enough under the feedback page in rockstar to foce Nv work with them to solve this isuse of flickering and flashing of the cutsence and some specific senior with volumetric fog?
post edited by skywalkermibnasa46 - 2019/12/16 05:48:40
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 33
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile