Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 29
Author
DNAJAY
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/21 15:59:29 (permalink)
totoro74
I also noticed discolouration after just few weeks. That on the clear mayhem coolant. Very disappointed. Got an email from EK and definitely not they fault. Even on this forum there are people that done blocks for years and had no issues. I'm pretty sure that there is a fault with block, backplate or pads but they will not admit it ( personal opinion). I will not be buying EK again.

It's probably oring oil. EK oils their orings and it leaches a brown/rust color. My EK distro has it too and yeah I wasn't too happy with that, but at least it's not known to cause any issue with performance. 
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/21 22:06:22 (permalink)
Bambi0380
So I have an interesting case to add to this thread,

Installed my Vector Block on my EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 with black lips last week.  Card runs fine until I try to game, at which point the GPU crashes when the card reaches 78 degrees Celsius.  The integrated graphics from the 10900k stay up, and it appears the card has dropped off the hardware set communicating with the MOBO - doesn't appear on device manager.

I heated my card with a heat gun prior to pulling off the air cooler, it took awhile and I singed my fingers a bit but ultimately it came apart cleanly with no pieces braking off.

For all other purposes the card is working fine, I am typing this right now while it powers my 4 screen setup.  Gpu is reportedly stable running at 32 degrees, but as I stated earlier it crashes once I try to get into a game of Apex or OW (which it ran fine with the stock cooler).  It makes me think that some component is overheating past the max on the card and the card is therefore shutting down on its own accord.  If I reboot the system the card posts and I am able to get to the desktop.  Only pushing the temps on the card up causes crash (given gaming is the point of my 3090 this is still a problem).  I've ordered a bunch of .5mm Thermal pads, as well as some 2mm pads, going to open up the block this weekend and try and see if I can find the piece that is overheating.  I've also ordered a new riser cable since apparently the Thermaltake one thats provided with the P5 is known to cause issues.

Build: 

Any suggestions on how to find the piece that isn't fitting well?  When the card came from EKWB its not like they had the thermal pads labeled by size, so I spent a bunch of time measuring them against eachother hoping I got the right fit.  I'm praying with actually labeled width pads I can go and redo the thermal padding.

Has anyone had their card work with the waterblock only to crash at higher temps like me?  Should I be considering an RMA?  This was my first watercooled build and I would hate to have to go back to the stock cooler 247.

I can asure you if your GPU reaches 78c with your Vector Block installed you didnt install it correctly or something seriously wrong w your loop.

That discoloration isnt rust,,,as someone pointed out, likely from the lube they use on the O rings.....perfectly normal and wont affect temps.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

mfranco702
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 01:25:16 (permalink)
Question here is, does this happen only with the EKWB block? I have an Alphacool Eisblock Aurora and Im wondering if anyone had this issue with this block.

Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor @ 5.2 GHz
Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra @ 2100 MHz
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra @ 2150 MHz
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Samsung 970 EVO + 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Corsair AX 1200i PSU
ekwb Custom Water loop
Asus Swift ROG PG279 2K @165 Hz monitor
Thermaltake Core W100 chassis
Corsair K95 Platinum Gaming Keybaord
Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Headset
Corsair Glaive RGB Gaming Mouse

totoro74
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 01:43:06 (permalink)
I would be interested too. I'll be looking for the new block as well. Don't really have confidence in the EK block.
Eksu99
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 03:02:49 (permalink)
Someone had the problem after reinstalling thermal paste with the stock cooler and I think atleast one similar case with Alphacool block.
Bambi0380
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 08:26:51 (permalink)

"I can asure you if your GPU reaches 78c with your Vector Block installed you didnt install it correctly or something seriously wrong w your loop.

That discoloration isnt rust,,,as someone pointed out, likely from the lube they use on the O rings.....perfectly normal and wont affect temps."

I intend to tear the thing apart this weekend and completely replace the pads,  the pads that arrived with my block were un-labled and only of mediocre quality, so I ordered some performance ones from arctic, as well as some additional thermal grease.

The coolant in my loop stays at 23 degrees C (10900k idles at 33 peaks at 48) and I have a 480 TT 64mm Rad with 4 Riing quad fans and 4 TT Toughpower HSP fans in push-pull configuration.  Seriously doubting it is the rest of the loop.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

post edited by Bambi0380 - 2021/04/22 08:31:37
Bambi0380
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 08:54:52 (permalink)
Is there a way to link PCpartpicker builds into here?  Would be easier to share my build specs that way.

Sry - New member and I know nothing.
rick5flag
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 20:33:29 (permalink)
I installed the EK block on a 3080 yesterday. Here's what I did and the results:

I started disassembly by loosing the screws, starting with the screws around the GPU die and working my way out. Using a hairdryer, I heated the back of the card at the die and started wiggling the pcb very slightly until the stock cooler started coming off. The card separated easily with almost no prying force used. The stock thermal pads actually stayed together for the most part, enough to the point that if I need to RMA I'll take the EK pads off. Did the clean up with a little plastic scrapper and some alcohol.

Cut the supplied EK thermal pads and applied as the directions specified. Used the spread method to apply the thermal grease (Kryonaut)

I installed the block, then uninstalled to check coverage of the pads & grease. Both looked great so I reinstalled and put it into a PC dry to see if it would boot. Booted into windows, no problems so far.

Next came the backplate. I have been suspecting for awhile that if this is a problem with EK that its the backplate causing problems. I applied the 3 different thermal pads as directed and installed the backplate. While installing, I realized that because the side with the power connectors don't have any thermal pads, as you start tightening the screws the backplate bows slightly. Looking between the pcb and the backplate, some of the components, especially the metal pins on the back of the card come extremely close to the backplate. I know very little on the tolerances for these kind of things, but having less then 1mm gap between metal parts seemed like a bad idea to me. I decided to use kapton tape to apply over any area I thought there might be a chance of touching. 

Put the backplate back on, and tested in the system and it booted into Windows just fine. Hooked up the water loop, leaktested for 12 hours and here we are. Card is fully functional, has been running a looped 3dmark test for 4 hours. 48C core, 58C memory junction.

I have no idea if the kapton tape did anything, however I would advice that people be very careful with disassembly and with the backplate install. Don't torque down the screws, especially the ones on the power connector side. I think placing some small thermal pad squares on the power side would help keep the backplate level, I elected to just not tighten those screws on that side very much. I will be vigorously testing the system, we'll see if it dies like some others have.

Hope this helps! Its nice having the gpu clocks stay at max boost levels. Now I just want a fix for the power limit. Have the 450w XOC bios installed yet I can never pull more then 390w before the power limit kicks in. Was hoping the waterblock would fix it, but I guess it was never about temperatures.

post edited by rick5flag - 2021/04/22 20:44:04

Attached Image(s)

rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/22 21:14:03 (permalink)
rick5flag
I installed the EK block on a 3080 yesterday. Here's what I did and the results:

I started disassembly by loosing the screws, starting with the screws around the GPU die and working my way out. Using a hairdryer, I heated the back of the card at the die and started wiggling the pcb very slightly until the stock cooler started coming off. The card separated easily with almost no prying force used. The stock thermal pads actually stayed together for the most part, enough to the point that if I need to RMA I'll take the EK pads off. Did the clean up with a little plastic scrapper and some alcohol.

Cut the supplied EK thermal pads and applied as the directions specified. Used the spread method to apply the thermal grease (Kryonaut)

I installed the block, then uninstalled to check coverage of the pads & grease. Both looked great so I reinstalled and put it into a PC dry to see if it would boot. Booted into windows, no problems so far.

Next came the backplate. I have been suspecting for awhile that if this is a problem with EK that its the backplate causing problems. I applied the 3 different thermal pads as directed and installed the backplate. While installing, I realized that because the side with the power connectors don't have any thermal pads, as you start tightening the screws the backplate bows slightly. Looking between the pcb and the backplate, some of the components, especially the metal pins on the back of the card come extremely close to the backplate. I know very little on the tolerances for these kind of things, but having less then 1mm gap between metal parts seemed like a bad idea to me. I decided to use kapton tape to apply over any area I thought there might be a chance of touching. 

Put the backplate back on, and tested in the system and it booted into Windows just fine. Hooked up the water loop, leaktested for 12 hours and here we are. Card is fully functional, has been running a looped 3dmark test for 4 hours. 48C core, 58C memory junction.

I have no idea if the kapton tape did anything, however I would advice that people be very careful with disassembly and with the backplate install. Don't torque down the screws, especially the ones on the power connector side. I think placing some small thermal pad squares on the power side would help keep the backplate level, I elected to just not tighten those screws on that side very much. I will be vigorously testing the system, we'll see if it dies like some others have.

Hope this helps! Its nice having the gpu clocks stay at max boost levels. Now I just want a fix for the power limit. Have the 450w XOC bios installed yet I can never pull more then 390w before the power limit kicks in. Was hoping the waterblock would fix it, but I guess it was never about temperatures.

Yeah I tightened up all the backplate screws snugly.....no issues with mine either.
As far as you having the XOC 450w BIOS installed and only reaching 390-400w Max power draw....same as mine and many....have a look at the power draw in GPU-Z....particualry PCI-E plugs #1, #2 and #3.....see if #3 draws about 1/2 of #1 and #2.....unbalanced power draw..been a number of threads on the issue...no fix from what I have found.
When I check mine max power draw close to 400w...PCI-E plus #1 & #2 drawing around 150w each, however #3 is never more than around 65-70W ......
post edited by rjbarker - 2021/04/22 21:15:53

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

jamesp2610
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/23 19:54:56 (permalink)
Installed on my 3090 ftw ultra no problems at all and I have taken stock cooler off 3 times and added the hybrid kit while I waited for the block from ek. Very happy with the temperature and the backplate does a good job keeping things cool one thing to mention I used gelid thermal pads as the ek pads are quite poor quality but better than the stock ones that were originally on my card. I kind of think that the issues people are having is down to poor installation and user error
totoro74
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/23 20:10:04 (permalink)
Got my block for around 4-6 weeks. Was running very well. No crashes no issues never exceeded 55C while gaming at 3440x1440 all settings maxed. One day just out of the blue didn't boot. I don't think it will be an user error. Funny enough majority of complains relate to the same error. 
I got my card relatively early so it might be a early batch that had an issue. Waiting for the replacement.

Interesting: https://www.igorslab.de/e...heavy-investigative/2/
post edited by totoro74 - 2021/04/23 20:19:38
Subzero30k
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/24 04:38:09 (permalink)
Hello i want to remove the air cooler from my 3090 ftw3 Ultra and add the ek Block

Now i See the Post whit the kapton tape is this necessary and wich tape should i buy?
Udo_G
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 200
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/24 08:15:57 (permalink)
New Bykski block with active backplate for FTW3:

https://ezmodding.com/EVGA-FTW3-3080-3090-aktive-Backplate

rick5flag
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/24 13:20:22 (permalink)
totoro74
Got my block for around 4-6 weeks. Was running very well. No crashes no issues never exceeded 55C while gaming at 3440x1440 all settings maxed. One day just out of the blue didn't boot. I don't think it will be an user error. Funny enough majority of complains relate to the same error. 
I got my card relatively early so it might be a early batch that had an issue. Waiting for the replacement.

Interesting: 

I think this solves the question. If cards can vary by .3mm card to card then no wonder so many are bricking. As we screw down the block the card bends to conform and puts a lot of stress on the pcb, components, and solder joints. Even explains why some people's cards last for while with the waterblock on then suddenly die. The stress the components are on mixed with repeated heat and cooling cycles... Something eventually gives out. Those cards that don't die are the lucky ones without the .3mm variation. Last 2 generations the variation spec was .15mm, so half of what the 3000 series has.

Very interesting and a big problem for Waterblock installs. No wonder EVGA & Nvidia use the highly conformable thermal pads/putty.
Bambi0380
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/24 18:53:54 (permalink)
Add me to the pile of bricked cards, rig nolonger posts whatsoever, really disappointed, especially upon reading the above post, may try and go for rma/refund and wait till i can find a card with block from the manufacturerer.
totoro74
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/24 20:23:03 (permalink)
I bought EVGA card for 3 reasons
1. Never had any issue with PSUs, motherboards and GPUs
2. Customer support. Had a few minor hiccups and registration related issues and these were sorted quickly. Current RMA is still in progress so I cant comment.
3. EVGA was happy for users to have water block installed providing the car will not be damaged. I'm sure all of us take an extra care while handling  an expensive card

I bought EVGA top of the range card planning to keep it for 3-5 years. I was going to include card in my custom water loop. Mainly to keep it silent and also hoping for more sustain boost due to low temps. The card was never overclocked.
I saw Asus 3090 TUF pulled apart and all thermal pads come off easily. These were proper pads not a paste. I'm wondering if there is a significant enough variation in PCB, components or die itself clearances. I would imagine that manufacturers will get PCB and components right by now so the issue might be a dye itself. When I receive the replacement card I will not be putting it under water. Might add couple bottom Noctua intake fans and place couple on top of the backplate to keep it cool. Shame because that card really shine while water cooled.
Please note I'm not an engineer and this is personal opinion based on my own thoughts and internet research.
Also it will be great if EVGA could actually make a meaningful statement and shine some light on the issue. 
whbeers
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/24 22:07:40 (permalink)
I had this issue on my FTW3 3090 this evening after waiting a couple months to have time to finish building out my loop (error code 97 on an asrock motherboard after installing the ekwb waterblock + backplate).

The suggestion to add kapton tape is what fixed it for me - I doubled up especially on the backs of the through-hole capacitors where there was the greatest chance to touching the board, but TBH was pretty liberal with the tape anywhere that didn't otherwise have a thermal pad, including around the power connectors.
post edited by whbeers - 2021/04/24 23:42:19
Exxceed
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/25 14:07:49 (permalink)
Also being an enthusiast that has installed many water blocks and specifically EK and EVGA products, I ended up bricking my 3090 as well.

Funny thing about my situation is that my card was Blocked and working great for about a week then I noticed the VRAM temps were getting high without the backplate. Received my backplate in the mail two days later and installed it only to get the dreaded black screen no boot as well. EVGA was great and RMA me a new card within a week. I have nothing but great things to say about EVGA. But I’m starting to think the backplate is the culprit. I’m so scared to block my new card now lol
SpaceGhhostC2C
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/25 16:53:05 (permalink)
I've been doing some measuring of the stand offs. Water block the stand offs are separate, screwed into the block or plastic, variations of .03-.05mm.
The back plate is a different story, the stand offs have variations of .5-.6mm because they are part of the backplate and machined into it.
post edited by SpaceGhhostC2C - 2021/04/25 16:54:06

MSI X570GL, 5950X, 5ghz 2 cores - 4.8ghz all core OC. Prime95 short ftt's all core 4.5ghz
32gb G-Skill 3600@3800, FLCK 1900
EVGA 3090FTW3U AlphaCool block/backplate 185/1300
3x2tb WD 3rd/gen M.2 drives - 2 in raid0 4tb M.2 storage. 14Tb SATA drive.
EVGA 13000w G+ PSU.
CaseLabs Merlin M8, dual custom loops, Singularity Protium pumps/reservoirs, 480x120 Rad-CPU, 600x120 Rads-GPU, 18 Uni Fans.
Predator 4k 120hhz, Hp Reverb G2 4k/VR headset.
OC'ed with ClockTuner for Ryzen 2.1

totoro74
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/26 02:08:28 (permalink)
Subzero30k
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/29 04:59:29 (permalink)
rick5flag

Hello i finished my watercool loop tomorow and my card works fine at moment

I am just worried about the kapton tape i added Kapton tape like your Pictures

Does it isolate some parts from cooling or does it nothing do?
Bambi0380
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/29 11:12:07 (permalink)
Wow so the VRM chips on the back of the card can be scorching, I wonder if this is part of the problem: 

.com/watch?v=ToTWaZtGOj8 or just see Linus' most recent video.
mfranco702
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/29 15:08:47 (permalink)
How much of a good idea would be to cover those power pins with a thin thermal pad. As long as is not conducive I’ll be ok right?

Corsair AX 1200i PSU
ekwb Custom Water loop

rick5flag
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/29 21:24:35 (permalink)
Subzero30k

Hello i finished my watercool loop tomorow and my card works fine at moment

I am just worried about the kapton tape i added Kapton tape like your Pictures

Does it isolate some parts from cooling or does it nothing do?

While I don't know if the Kapton tape does anything positive it cant hurt any of the components I covered. The things I covered don't need active cooling, and kapton tape won't insulate the components. 
mfranco702
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/30 04:44:48 (permalink)
Ok guys, I will share my whole story of what happened to me.
I purchased the card BNIB from a guy on eBay $$$$, the card worked fine for about a week on the air stock cooler, gaming and mining with no issues other than high temps.
Decided to install a waterblock to fix that problem, so I purchased an EK Quantum Vector FTW3 and installed it according to the manual provided, this was not the first block I have installed so I know what I was doing, then I also installed the EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 RTX 3080/3090 Nickel Backplate by following the instructions and put it in the system, filled the loop and tested it for leaks.
The test came out fine, so now it was time to plug everything and boot up the machine, the 3090 was in the first PCIe slot and my old 2080 Ti was connected to the third PCIe slot, I plugged the power cables and pushed the button.
System booted up to the OS but no video signal was detected by the monitor, a series of three short beeps and a white LED on the motherboard indicated that no VGA was detected, after that I could hear the Windows startup sound through my headset, so the system was definitely booting up, I swapped the DP cable to my 2080 Ti and Voilà, there it was video, which means that the 3090 was not being detected by the computer at all. I logged in and opened GeForce experience to see if the card was detected but only the 2080 Ti was recognized. restarted and went into BIOS to tee if the card was detected there by the PCIe, but only the 2080 Ti was being detected.
I re seated the card into the PCIe slot and I double checked the power cables, I even used a different set to make sure the card was receiving power and I noticed that the red LEDs were not lighting up when I unplugged the cables, which means that the card was not receiving power, not even from the PCIe slot, at this point I thought the PCB was fried or possibly a small short was preventing the card from receiving power. so I decided to remove the backplate and try to boot up with no backplate installed.
I changed again the DP cable to the 3090 and started the machine, no beeps and no white LED this time, video was received by the monitor and POSTed successfully, then booted up to the OS, I checked the software and both cards were being detected, I ran a few time spy tests and everything was fine.
In my case i think the problem was the backplate, being metallic and was probably touching something on the board when it was screwed all the way in creating some kind of short that didn't allow the card to receive power, I had to remove the card from the loop and mount the backplate again, this time I used 1.5mm thermal pads instead of the 1mm recommended over the memory chips under the backplate and barely screwed it in enough to make contact in the GPU area. In the power pins area I didnt use any screws since there are not any thermal pads there to put pressure on, instead I directly screwed the PCB to the waterblock but not the backplate.

I hope this info helps someone out there and thanks for reading.

post edited by mfranco702 - 2021/04/30 04:46:18

Attached Image(s)

Corsair AX 1200i PSU
ekwb Custom Water loop

LordSyrion
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/30 05:44:21 (permalink)
My friend had the exact same issue. Luckily he just had to re-seat the block and re-seat the card and it started working again.

Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.8
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHZ CL14 (14-16-16-32)
EVGA 3080 FTW3
ASUS Prime X570
1TB Samsung 980 Pro m.2 (OS)
4x 2TB Samsung 879 EVO
2x 4TB WD Black
ASUS ROG Strix 850W White PSU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SpaceGhhostC2C
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/30 08:38:47 (permalink)
The stands for the back plates are way off. Some are measuring .6mm difference. They are part of the back plate, machined with it. The plate is moving or not being held down correctly during the machining process
All the stands for the water block measure within .03m and are screw in stands held to higher tolerances.

post edited by SpaceGhhostC2C - 2021/04/30 08:45:02

MSI X570GL, 5950X, 5ghz 2 cores - 4.8ghz all core OC. Prime95 short ftt's all core 4.5ghz
32gb G-Skill 3600@3800, FLCK 1900
EVGA 3090FTW3U AlphaCool block/backplate 185/1300
3x2tb WD 3rd/gen M.2 drives - 2 in raid0 4tb M.2 storage. 14Tb SATA drive.
EVGA 13000w G+ PSU.
CaseLabs Merlin M8, dual custom loops, Singularity Protium pumps/reservoirs, 480x120 Rad-CPU, 600x120 Rads-GPU, 18 Uni Fans.
Predator 4k 120hhz, Hp Reverb G2 4k/VR headset.
OC'ed with ClockTuner for Ryzen 2.1

Jynxed16
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/30 08:51:49 (permalink)
This just happened to me. I was up and running for 10 minutes and it rebooted never came back. D7 vga errors. I know I did it right and was careful and it did work for a bit.

What’s the RMA process like? Also will evga let me try again what if it happens again?

I’m debating redeeming my protection plan and paying the 400 dollar difference for a strix and block that. It’s 700 more dollars total but I don’t want to keep buying thermal pads and rma until it works if it ever will. Seems daunting.

If I do RMA I’ll probably just use it on air :(

Also where is everyone getting more thermal pads? Doing it through ek is expensive and a pain in the ass.

Ftw 3 RIP.

I tried everything, tried no back plate, reseating block, back plate, tried it with nothing at all. I just get a red power led on the third power slot
post edited by Jynxed16 - 2021/04/30 08:53:33
mfranco702
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/30 13:22:59 (permalink)
Jynxed16
This just happened to me. I was up and running for 10 minutes and it rebooted never came back. D7 vga errors. I know I did it right and was careful and it did work for a bit.

What’s the RMA process like? Also will evga let me try again what if it happens again?

I’m debating redeeming my protection plan and paying the 400 dollar difference for a strix and block that. It’s 700 more dollars total but I don’t want to keep buying thermal pads and rma until it works if it ever will. Seems daunting.

If I do RMA I’ll probably just use it on air :(

Also where is everyone getting more thermal pads? Doing it through ek is expensive and a pain in the ass.

Ftw 3 RIP.

I tried everything, tried no back plate, reseating block, back plate, tried it with nothing at all. I just get a red power led on the third power slot

if you get a red power led means that no power is going into that connector, check the cable is well plugged in in both ends, the card and the power supply, if you can try a different cable.

Corsair AX 1200i PSU
ekwb Custom Water loop

DarthSawyers
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/04/30 13:43:13 (permalink)
Has anyone used the Optimus Waterblock on their card?  If so what were the temps.  I ordered both the Optimus and the EKWB and trying to figure out which one to use when they arrive.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile