OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 55
Author
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 01:07:13 (permalink)
redteamgo
Got speed, condolences. I also had a burnt smell from the power area on my 2nd kingpin when it died. It was very random and without warning. Very frustrating needless to say. You will get back in it. Sorry for the wasted time.

Thanks bro, It was a long weekend trying to get this into my system and then having to tear it out and prep it for RMA service.  I also had a new build that I needed to get done in the Lian Li O11 Air Mini on Sunday so I really didn't need a gpu failure to add to my issues.  I spent a lot of time trying to get a vertical mount to work in the O11XL with this large block but couldn't get it to work out as well.  Ended up mounting it horizontal but now have some other plans to see when it comes back to get it in again using the vertical mount.  

I hope my RMA Kingpin will be better and last longer than my original.  All it has to do is last longer than 5 hours of use.  I don't think I'm asking for much.  

Be safe brother.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
AtozGlue
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 01:28:58 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
AtozGlue
How hard is it to cerakote something white. Should be the same as black. No difference. I’m starting to think white and silver has a staining issue when used in a loop. Black is easier to hide this. Probably why they stopped the production of white and silver. I wished they offered nickel plating. Is Cerakote porous? Maybe they need to spray on a clear coat.

I'm not an expert on anything, but I'm thinking that some how the new blocks are either allowing moisture to escape the block or it's allowing condensation.  I have the FTW3 Ultra block in their nickel finish and it works fine after months of use.  The only difference in the blocks beside the original design of the two is the Cerakote finish unless they changed sources for the gaskets.  I honestly don't like the textured finish and I'm wondering if that is part of the cause.  My block passed the pressure test, but that was done under air and while the block/gasket were new.  I've seen some pictures of the white gasket getting discolored on overclockers and I'm wondering if that is having other effects like hardening  which may allow moisture to escape due to the textured finish.  I've seen also a picture on overclockers of one user with a white block with blue colored coolant which looks like the blue coloring is escaping the sealed portion of the block and getting to areas outside of the sealed coolant area.  I haven't seen the block in person, but it appears that the coloring is escaping from a pretty wide area all along the gasket.  The user confirmed that there is dye in what he wipes away so it has to be coming from the sealed portion of the loop.  Here is the link with the picture and his post there:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/optimus-waterblock.1733810/page-626

Some of what other posters there can be attributed to the plexi making contact with the cerakote finish as I've seen that in my block prior to putting through fluid into the block and tightening up the screws that secure the plexi to the block.  When contact between the block and plexi occur it made it looks like a foggy white area around where the screws are (in my case the block is finished in cerakote silver).  But the tell tale one is the user who used blue coolant.  I'm not sure if he tightened down the screws that secure the plexi to the block and maybe his was one where it was tensioned properly from Optimus, but either way it's a concern as my cold plate was not secured properly when I initially received it and had to chase the leak which took me to the cold plate.  After I secured the cold plate properly it held air pressure from my EK tester for over an hour at .75 bar.  When I put my block into my system it the entire system held .75 bar for over 4 hours (I forgot I was testing while I was watching tv).  

I'm not saying yet that the Optimus block caused my failure as there was no signs of leaking on my block, but when I look at some of the pictures of others posted on overclockers I'm starting to get concerned about the reliability of the block and gaskets.  For those who use test benches instead of traditional cases it's a lot easier for them to monitor for leaks and condensation.  Once these blocks are in a case, it gets a lot harder especially if they are vertically mounted.  

Cerkote finishes used for firearms seem to hold up well and I haven't seen a staining issue with those.  What I'm thinking is that because of the textured finish it's allowing dyes to cling to the finish in the texture.  I bought a white block for the 3080 for my son's pc and after seeing these issues I might be second guessing myself on using the block on his GPU until I know for sure that the finish and gasket are not causing issues.  I don't think you can clear coat over the cerakote as it would defeat the purpose of using that finish.  

Whoa. Just went through the link. They need to go back to nickel plating.
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 07:22:36 (permalink)
AtozGlue
Gotspeed_2000
AtozGlue
How hard is it to cerakote something white. Should be the same as black. No difference. I’m starting to think white and silver has a staining issue when used in a loop. Black is easier to hide this. Probably why they stopped the production of white and silver. I wished they offered nickel plating. Is Cerakote porous? Maybe they need to spray on a clear coat.

I'm not an expert on anything, but I'm thinking that some how the new blocks are either allowing moisture to escape the block or it's allowing condensation.  I have the FTW3 Ultra block in their nickel finish and it works fine after months of use.  The only difference in the blocks beside the original design of the two is the Cerakote finish unless they changed sources for the gaskets.  I honestly don't like the textured finish and I'm wondering if that is part of the cause.  My block passed the pressure test, but that was done under air and while the block/gasket were new.  I've seen some pictures of the white gasket getting discolored on overclockers and I'm wondering if that is having other effects like hardening  which may allow moisture to escape due to the textured finish.  I've seen also a picture on overclockers of one user with a white block with blue colored coolant which looks like the blue coloring is escaping the sealed portion of the block and getting to areas outside of the sealed coolant area.  I haven't seen the block in person, but it appears that the coloring is escaping from a pretty wide area all along the gasket.  The user confirmed that there is dye in what he wipes away so it has to be coming from the sealed portion of the loop.  Here is the link with the picture and his post there:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/optimus-waterblock.1733810/page-626

Some of what other posters there can be attributed to the plexi making contact with the cerakote finish as I've seen that in my block prior to putting through fluid into the block and tightening up the screws that secure the plexi to the block.  When contact between the block and plexi occur it made it looks like a foggy white area around where the screws are (in my case the block is finished in cerakote silver).  But the tell tale one is the user who used blue coolant.  I'm not sure if he tightened down the screws that secure the plexi to the block and maybe his was one where it was tensioned properly from Optimus, but either way it's a concern as my cold plate was not secured properly when I initially received it and had to chase the leak which took me to the cold plate.  After I secured the cold plate properly it held air pressure from my EK tester for over an hour at .75 bar.  When I put my block into my system it the entire system held .75 bar for over 4 hours (I forgot I was testing while I was watching tv).  

I'm not saying yet that the Optimus block caused my failure as there was no signs of leaking on my block, but when I look at some of the pictures of others posted on overclockers I'm starting to get concerned about the reliability of the block and gaskets.  For those who use test benches instead of traditional cases it's a lot easier for them to monitor for leaks and condensation.  Once these blocks are in a case, it gets a lot harder especially if they are vertically mounted.  

Cerkote finishes used for firearms seem to hold up well and I haven't seen a staining issue with those.  What I'm thinking is that because of the textured finish it's allowing dyes to cling to the finish in the texture.  I bought a white block for the 3080 for my son's pc and after seeing these issues I might be second guessing myself on using the block on his GPU until I know for sure that the finish and gasket are not causing issues.  I don't think you can clear coat over the cerakote as it would defeat the purpose of using that finish.  

Whoa. Just went through the link. They need to go back to nickel plating.

Yup, I have the same issue, even though the air pressure test showed no leaks.  I have the matte black finish (a replacement for my original nickel finish, which had major leak problems that I could not resolved).  I removed the Optimus KPE block from my system.  I e-mailed Optimus.  Hopefully Optimus will not take weeks, months to reply.

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

k3rizz3k
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 07:51:58 (permalink)
Do they charge at order time, or at shipping?
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 08:03:01 (permalink)
k3rizz3k

At order, which really sucks for those who pre-ordered in July 2021 and have not received their order.

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

fragility_V1
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 940
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 08:15:15 (permalink)
mech9t5
k3rizz3k

At order, which really sucks for those who pre-ordered in July 2021 and have not received their order.

The downsides of participating in a Kickstarter...wait, what's that?  This was an previously formed company that took preorders for something that didn't have a final design, changed the finish options after preorder, provided very little updates, still hasn't fulfilled their initial preorders, and is potentially having some production/performance issues?  Sounds like a Kickstarter to me.
drax3d
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 08:20:23 (permalink)
fragility_V1
The downsides of participating in a Kickstarter...wait, what's that?  This was an previously formed company that took preorders for something that didn't have a final design, changed the finish options after preorder, provided very little updates, still hasn't fulfilled their initial preorders, and is potentially having some production/performance issues?  Sounds like a Kickstarter to me.

Exactly, and had this been a Kickstarter, I would have expected these issues.
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 10:36:40 (permalink)
Does anyone have a HWInfo 64 screen print of a 20x PR stress test with a KP optimus block installed at stock offsets?  And their ambient + coolant temp?

I flipped through the last 20ish pages of the OC.net thread and saw some nice looking systems and a few GPUZ and HWInfo shots but they exclude the ambient/coolant temp.  Those that have prints from GPUZ or HWInfo also have memory temps > hot spot temps which I think its indicative of mining as a benchmark rather than PR 20x.

Overall, I'm just trying to make a swag estimate of how much money I've wasted 

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 10:41:00 (permalink)
redteamgo
Does anyone have a HWInfo 64 screen print of a 20x PR stress test with a KP optimus block installed at stock offsets?  And their ambient + coolant temp?

I flipped through the last 20ish pages of the OC.net thread and saw some nice looking systems and a few GPUZ and HWInfo shots but they exclude the ambient/coolant temp.  Those that have prints from GPUZ or HWInfo also have memory temps > hot spot temps which I think its indicative of mining as a benchmark rather than PR 20x.

I could run something at stock while i'm sitting here.  looking for any specific measurements/graphs to include in the HWinfo screen?
redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 10:50:23 (permalink)
That would be awesome, thank you!!

If possible, I'd just like to see the below GPU screenshot section from HWInfo64 after a 20x PR stress test with a Kingpin 3090 mounted to an Optimus block that also shows the peak coolant temp and your swag of the ambient temp at the time of the test.  I made my window a bit bigger to include the coolant temperature in the screenshot, which is highlighted by the cursor.

edit: also, if you would recommend a different benchmark than the PR 20x in order to properly compare block operating performance, I'll run that as well so there are some different points of comparison.

post edited by redteamgo - 2022/02/01 10:59:17

MOD Rigs!!!
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 10:55:45 (permalink)
redteamgo
That would be awesome, thank you!!

If possible, I'd just like to see the below screenshot section from HWInfo64 after a 20x PR stress test with a Kingpin 3090 mounted to an Optimus block that also shows the peak coolant temp and your swag of the ambient temp at the time of the test.

This screenshot is just an example of what my HWInfo GPU section looks like currently and I highlighted my coolant temp

OK, I'll see what I can do.  I had an ambient thermal probe at some point.  Doesn't appear to be connected anymore.  I'll get my laser thermometer and measure a couple of surfaces.
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 11:22:15 (permalink)
Ambient is about 21C (70F) give or take.
Current readings at idle (GPU loop at idle is ~26C):

I'll do a PR X20 loop at stock KP (but with 1000W bios), regular fan curve on the rad fans (when I go for it, I usually run all the fans full blast).
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 11:51:23 (permalink)
Nevermind, I'll have to try it tonight.  It won't let me KVM over to my other PC while I'm running PR.  Just exits out when I switch.  

redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 12:04:33 (permalink)
fragility_V1
Nevermind, I'll have to try it tonight.  It won't let me KVM over to my other PC while I'm running PR.  Just exits out when I switch.  

That works, thanks again.  Your setup/baseline looks perfect.  I like that Aquaero controller, that is a sweet little hub.  If you recommend I do a different benchmark to get some more data points, I'm happy to do that too in the mean time

MOD Rigs!!!
Jsunn
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 14:10:24 (permalink)
redteamgo

So I have this data for my EVGA FTW3 3090, air cooled and then using the Optimus block, I plotted it in Excel too, so there are pretty pictures. I know it is a different block and a different card, but may give you an idea on what you could be looking at for the KPE block?
Here is the link to the thread where I posted it. 
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3233557

Its is post 13 in the thread. 
Actually, looks like i never posted back with the waterblock results. I have those graphs too if you would like to see. 

Anyway, here they are: good results from Optimus... this is why I am convinced that the block is worth waiting for. 

-J
post edited by Jsunn - 2022/02/01 14:20:36

i9 10900K @ 5.3GHz 1.35v 
32Gb 3600MHz
Asus Maximus Formula XII 
EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin
Watercool all the things
https://builds.gg/builds/...ustom-built-case-26023
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 14:25:03 (permalink)
Oooo.  I love Excel.  Will give that a try too.   Just logs from HWInfo?
redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 14:28:19 (permalink)
I'm an excel guy too lol.  I'll let you set your own bar of madness.  I have logs and excel comparisons of every mount I've done

post edited by redteamgo - 2022/02/01 17:36:16

MOD Rigs!!!
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 15:48:46 (permalink)
Got 12 runs of PR into 20 runs.  Apparently print screen will crash 3DMark.  :(  But data seems fairly stable.  So ambient ~21C.  Loop water was ~31C.  GPU temp ~ 42C.  Memory from iCX in mid 30s.

kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 17:05:56 (permalink)
Are we doing this at Stock clocks ?
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 17:23:54 (permalink)
I did mine at stock, no tweaks to voltages or clocks.  Only thing is unlocked powah.
redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 17:33:59 (permalink)
fragility, thank you so much that is perfect.

MOD Rigs!!!
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 17:38:58 (permalink)
On a side note, I did find a bunch of crud is caught in the fins of the Optimus block, so may be impacting flow a bit.  It's fine enough to be acting as a good filter!  Now it's bothering me, so going to tear the whole GPU loop apart and clean and flush everything.  Not likely a huge impact on temps, as the flow appears to be decent, but I just had the pump on the GPU loop fail and now wondering if some crud got in there.  I'll run another test before I tear it apart with a small OC, the voltage slider cranked, and fans on full throttle.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18944
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 18:11:11 (permalink)
fragility_V1
On a side note, I did find a bunch of crud is caught in the fins of the Optimus block, so may be impacting flow a bit.  It's fine enough to be acting as a good filter!  Now it's bothering me, so going to tear the whole GPU loop apart and clean and flush everything.  Not likely a huge impact on temps, as the flow appears to be decent, but I just had the pump on the GPU loop fail and now wondering if some crud got in there.  I'll run another test before I tear it apart with a small OC, the voltage slider cranked, and fans on full throttle.

The Optimus fins are very fine indeed - I purchased a Signature V2 CPU block from SpareTimePC before he left us, and when I opened it up it had some crud that the fins basically filtered from the coolant - I believe SpareTimePC had never used colored coolant on it either. Cleaned off easily.. guess it's better than building up inside the pump. On the subject of filters - there are plenty of inline filters available if so desired (link), I like the look of this big Aquacomputer one (link) which has 2 integrated valves so you can clean it without draining the loop. Great idea.

post edited by Nereus - 2022/02/01 18:12:38

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 18:14:11 (permalink)
Hey , I have been following this thing for months and so glad we are now talking about a product .
I have the KPE block but was too chicken to install it and currently in 2 AIOs 
These are my current numbers on my undervolt  (.935v +108 PT +1130 MEM  +Fan curve at 36db @ 1foot) .. Just for comparison proposes so others can follow and make up their mind on what they might try to do :NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i9-12900K Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 (MS-7D32) (3dmark.com)
CPU 47
MEM T 70
hot spot 62
GPU2 52
MEM1 62
MEM2 64
MEM3 60
PWR1 49
PWR2 42
PWR3 51
PWR4 36
I am going to build a loop soon but these are my chicken scores!

Jsunn
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 18:27:35 (permalink)
kraade
Hey , I have been following this thing for months and so glad we are now talking about a product .
I have the KPE block but was too chicken to install it and currently in 2 AIOs 
These are my current numbers on my undervolt  (.935v +108 PT +1130 MEM  +Fan curve at 36db @ 1foot) .. Just for comparison proposes so others can follow and make up their mind on what they might try to do :NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i9-12900K Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 (MS-7D32) (3dmark.com)
CPU 47
MEM T 70
hot spot 62
GPU2 52
MEM1 62
MEM2 64
MEM3 60
PWR1 49
PWR2 42
PWR3 51
PWR4 36
I am going to build a loop soon but these are my chicken scores!

What?! you have the block and haven't posted pictures yet? Damnit man, what's wrong with you?!  Just kidding! Just take the plunge, you'll be fine. That's a little toasty, but not too bad at all. I think if you can keep the GPU in the 30's with the waterblock you'll see some great boost clocks. I think the rear cooling plate will really make a big difference. 
-J

i9 10900K @ 5.3GHz 1.35v 
32Gb 3600MHz
Asus Maximus Formula XII 
EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin
Watercool all the things
https://builds.gg/builds/...ustom-built-case-26023
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 18:46:42 (permalink)
Yes , its almost there
https://imgur.com/a/i33QmHy
q437637
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 19:35:50 (permalink)
So anyone else in OP5280 to OP5290 range got their shipment notification for optimus KPE block? Seems like the latest appears to be OP5270 from couple pages back
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 19:57:00 (permalink)
Another run with a small overclock +135 on the GPU, +1000 on the Memory, voltage slider all the way to the right.  Ambient is a little lower, ~18-19C.  After about 12 PR loops, ~30C in the loop, ~42C on the GPU.  So about the same as stock, but ambient is a little lower.  So extra watts are probably balanced out by the lower ambient.

AtozGlue
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 23:35:42 (permalink)
q437637
So anyone else in OP5280 to OP5290 range got their shipment notification for optimus KPE block? Seems like the latest appears to be OP5270 from couple pages back

I’m in the 5290’s. Optimus said mine will ship in a few days.
ShawnB420
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/02 02:06:11 (permalink)
Nereus
fragility_V1

The Optimus fins are very fine indeed - I purchased a Signature V2 CPU block from SpareTimePC before he left us, and when I opened it up it had some crud that the fins basically filtered from the coolant - I believe SpareTimePC had never used colored coolant on it either. Cleaned off easily.. guess it's better than building up inside the pump. On the subject of filters - there are plenty of inline filters available if so desired (link), I like the look of this big Aquacomputer one (link) which has 2 integrated valves so you can clean it without draining the loop. Great idea.

Be aware that filter from Aquacomputer add a massive restriction to your loop. It dropped my loop 0.6GPM alone

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 55
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile