EVGA

OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 55
Author
drax3d
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 09:56:41 (permalink)
Got a response from Optimus today saying they're hoping to ship my block by end of next week. 5300.

If that's accurate it means they're starting to catch up finally
fragility_V1
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 940
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 10:00:24 (permalink)
drax3d
Got a response from Optimus today saying they're hoping to ship my block by end of next week. 5300.

hope in one hand....
drax3d
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 10:01:46 (permalink)
fragility_V1
hope in one hand....

Fair lol...
Carol1134
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 10:19:51 (permalink)
drax3d

Does anyone remember how many times they said 'next week'?
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 10:37:42 (permalink)
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo
Where do I find a kingpin block on Amazon or Ali express for $130?

I think you misread that.  The build quality, design, and workmanship of the KP 3090 Hydro Copper block is the same as the $130 GPU water blocks you get from Ali Express or Amazon.  To be honest, the $130 water blocks leak less than my KP Hydro Copper blocks did, especially with chilled coolant.

Point is that there is no $130 block to fit the 3090 KP.  It doesn't exist.  Its a shame your HC block had problems but comparing things that exist to things that don't exist at a hypothetical price point is too silly for me to entertain.

The point is TWO Kingpin Hydro Copper blocks had those problems.  The point is the Hydro Copper block is for an card designed for overclocking and both blocks started leaking when used with chilled coolant at 10-15C because the metal and acrylic expand and contract at different rates.  The point is that the Hydro Copper block is designed in such a way that you can't fix the leaks without removing some parts that EVGA told some HC block owners would void the warranty of the block.  The point is the build quality is so awful on the Hydro Copper blocks that one had a screw that holds the terminal in place that wasn't tightened properly at the factory so that block leaked and the other one had a screw that was tightened so hard at the factory that it damaged the acrylic to the point that the threads were stripped and the screw couldn't be tightened properly to prevent leaking.  The point is the issues that I had with TWO hydro copper blocks are the kind of issues you expect with the $130 water blocks you find on Ali Express and Amazon.  The point is the two EK GPU blocks I have(One that was $119.99) work fine with chilled coolant at 0C to -15C and the two Hydro Copper blocks I had don't work properly with chilled coolant below 10C-15C.

You seriously can't grasp that the Hydro Copper blocks have the same build quality as the low end Bykski water blocks?  You find that concept too silly to entertain?  Who cares if there isn't a $130 KP 3090 water block.  You get that $130 water block experience with EVGA $300 block already!

here is what we will do.  go buy your imaginary KP 3090 block.  afterwards, i will take everyone in this thread (even you) to dinner for steaks in imagination land so we can admire the advantages of your imaginary bloc vs the HC block.  then when the check comes, I'm going to loudly complain about how I could have cooked a steak at home for 1/3rd of the cost and embarrass you all.

I don't see how your initial failure in reading comprehension warrants you to be so upset about a non existent waterblock.  I never said there was a $130 KP waterblock.  I originally said, "My experience with the Hydro Copper blocks shows they are worth about $130.  They have the same build quality as the $130 GPU blocks on Amazon and Ali Express."  Do you still fail to comprehend that?
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 10:48:01 (permalink)
Carol1134
drax3d

Time is relative.  Maybe their manufacturing facility is moving near the speed of light. 
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18944
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 11:29:16 (permalink)
fragility_V1
Carol1134
drax3d

Time is relative.  Maybe their manufacturing facility is moving near the speed of light. 

Technically, they've been completely honest - 'next week' is always going to be next week, no matter how long you wait.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

pmclean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 11:35:53 (permalink)
drax3d

OMG they are finally getting close to my order number 5312. Hopefully. I got the email about only being able to choose black, which oddly enough had been suspected and mentioned on Optimus Twitter thread that they denied. I replied as fast as I could with "yes I'll change to black just please send me a water block for my KPE!"

I don't understand why they can't go back to the original nickel coating they used. Then my KPE block would be match my V2 Intel block and 3090 FTW3 block made by them.

Oh well. I'm just happy they didn't cancel it altogether and just refund everyone. I want an Optimus block for my KPE. My CPU and FTW3 block's performance is incredible.

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks the wait will be over.

Current Build Direct die 10900KF w/Grizzly LM w/Optimus V2 Sig Block on an ASUS Maximus XII Apex, 32 GB 4000MT/s Cl 15 G.Skill Trident Z Royal RAM, EVGA RTX 3090 KingPin w/Optimus Waterblock, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/Optimus Absolute Waterblock, EVGA 1600W G+ PSU, 2 x Corsair MP510 960GB M.2 RAID0, 2 x WD Blue 1 TB SSD RAID0, 2 x 6TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM HDD RAID0, EVGA Nu Audio Card, Lian Li Strimer Plus 3x8 Pin & 24 Pin, Corsair 7000D White Case, 7 x Lian Li SL140 Fans, Corsair XD7 Distro Plate w/Xylem D5 Pump, Samsung 55" QN90A, Samsung c49RG9 Ultrawide Monitor, HyperX Cloud Orbit Headphones, Sony AV Reciever STR-DN 1080, KEF Q Series 5.1 Speakers, Glorious Model D Gaming Mouse,  SteelSeries Apex Pro KB, Corsair MM300 XL & MM350 XL Gaming Mouse Pad, Vartan Gaming Chair, APC Back UPS PRO BR 1350VA, MO-RA3 420 w/ 2 x WCP D5-Vario Pumps w/HeatKiller D5-TOP, PrimoChill RevolverSX UV Pink Rigid Fittings.

alpharius194
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 165
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 11:39:11 (permalink)
Jsunn
alpharius194
OCF4n
What about the RAW Copper Coldplate finish? I read they are in the making because somebody here received one.. but on the website it's still says TBD? Any infos about that?

I have it with the black finish, it arrived at the office yesterday. will not be installing it today but will be opening the box when i get home to check it out because I was not at that office yesterday. I would assume they'll start to trickle out now.

Post pictures!

It’s not letting me post them from my phone, I will try again when I get home today. It looks spectacular, haven’t seen any of the smudges others have reported. The finish on the cold plate is great looking, have some high hopes for the block. Will probably order other thermal pads though, the front pads don’t look great and what’s another $30-40 in pads.
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 11:42:04 (permalink)
bavor
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo

I think you misread that.  The build quality, design, and workmanship of the KP 3090 Hydro Copper block is the same as the $130 GPU water blocks you get from Ali Express or Amazon.  To be honest, the $130 water blocks leak less than my KP Hydro Copper blocks did, especially with chilled coolant.

Point is that there is no $130 block to fit the 3090 KP.  It doesn't exist.  Its a shame your HC block had problems but comparing things that exist to things that don't exist at a hypothetical price point is too silly for me to entertain.

The point is TWO Kingpin Hydro Copper blocks had those problems.  The point is the Hydro Copper block is for an card designed for overclocking and both blocks started leaking when used with chilled coolant at 10-15C because the metal and acrylic expand and contract at different rates.  The point is that the Hydro Copper block is designed in such a way that you can't fix the leaks without removing some parts that EVGA told some HC block owners would void the warranty of the block.  The point is the build quality is so awful on the Hydro Copper blocks that one had a screw that holds the terminal in place that wasn't tightened properly at the factory so that block leaked and the other one had a screw that was tightened so hard at the factory that it damaged the acrylic to the point that the threads were stripped and the screw couldn't be tightened properly to prevent leaking.  The point is the issues that I had with TWO hydro copper blocks are the kind of issues you expect with the $130 water blocks you find on Ali Express and Amazon.  The point is the two EK GPU blocks I have(One that was $119.99) work fine with chilled coolant at 0C to -15C and the two Hydro Copper blocks I had don't work properly with chilled coolant below 10C-15C.

You seriously can't grasp that the Hydro Copper blocks have the same build quality as the low end Bykski water blocks?  You find that concept too silly to entertain?  Who cares if there isn't a $130 KP 3090 water block.  You get that $130 water block experience with EVGA $300 block already!

here is what we will do.  go buy your imaginary KP 3090 block.  afterwards, i will take everyone in this thread (even you) to dinner for steaks in imagination land so we can admire the advantages of your imaginary bloc vs the HC block.  then when the check comes, I'm going to loudly complain about how I could have cooked a steak at home for 1/3rd of the cost and embarrass you all.

I don't see how your initial failure in reading comprehension warrants you to be so upset about a non existent waterblock.  I never said there was a $130 KP waterblock.  I originally said, "My experience with the Hydro Copper blocks shows they are worth about $130.  They have the same build quality as the $130 GPU blocks on Amazon and Ali Express."  Do you still fail to comprehend that?

bavor I'm nitpicking your wording from your assignment of value.  its possible i implied a tone that isn't there.  Either way, this is unimportant and no insult intended.  I'm not pissed about this and I hope you're not either.  If so I apologize.  I was crabby earlier for unrelated reasons.

I empathize with your HC block issues.  I disassembled/voided mine already to clean rad gunk that didnt flush.  I actually have a backup HC block for the exact same concerns you identified above.  I think we have all had our share of problems with cards and blocks, just in 30xx territory alone.  I have had issues too, 100% and its highly frustrating.  Anyway, have a good one.
post edited by redteamgo - 2022/01/28 14:42:04

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
q437637
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 14:17:53 (permalink)
alpharius194
Jsunn
alpharius194
OCF4n
What about the RAW Copper Coldplate finish? I read they are in the making because somebody here received one.. but on the website it's still says TBD? Any infos about that?

I have it with the black finish, it arrived at the office yesterday. will not be installing it today but will be opening the box when i get home to check it out because I was not at that office yesterday. I would assume they'll start to trickle out now.

Post pictures!

It’s not letting me post them from my phone, I will try again when I get home today. It looks spectacular, haven’t seen any of the smudges others have reported. The finish on the cold plate is great looking, have some high hopes for the block. Will probably order other thermal pads though, the front pads don’t look great and what’s another $30-40 in pads.

Upload pics on imgur or somewhere. Are both blocks clean? Did u have to rinse/clean either the front and back blocks? Saw someone said that the inside of the block was not clean when they got it, but that was like first batch last month. I am thinking of setting up a dummy loop to flush the crap out plus test for leak
alpharius194
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 17:02:06 (permalink)
https://imgur.com/a/6x96NaY
post edited by alpharius194 - 2022/01/28 17:06:56
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18944
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 17:30:10 (permalink)
alpharius194

Love how that copper plate looks in there!

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Jsunn
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/28 18:06:52 (permalink)
alpharius194

Wow, that looks amazing! When you get a chance, can you measure how think the back plate is from the PCB? I am trying to figure out the clearance in my case. I couldn't find any definite measurements online. 
Good luck installing and post pictures as you go!

i9 10900K @ 5.3GHz 1.35v 
32Gb 3600MHz
Asus Maximus Formula XII 
EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin
Watercool all the things
https://builds.gg/builds/...ustom-built-case-26023
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 06:01:34 (permalink)
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo
bavor
redteamgo

bavor I'm nitpicking your wording from your assignment of value.  its possible i implied a tone that isn't there.  Either way, this is unimportant and no insult intended.  I'm not pissed about this and I hope you're not either.  If so I apologize.  I was crabby earlier for unrelated reasons.

I empathize with your HC block issues.  I disassembled/voided mine already to clean rad gunk that didnt flush.  I actually have a backup HC block for the exact same concerns you identified above.  I think we have all had our share of problems with cards and blocks, just in 30xx territory alone.  I have had issues too, 100% and its highly frustrating.  Anyway, have a good one.

No problem.  Its sometimes difficult to imply and also interpret tone and emotion in forum posts.
alpharius194
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 08:32:56 (permalink)
Jsunn
alpharius194

Wow, that looks amazing! When you get a chance, can you measure how think the back plate is from the PCB? I am trying to figure out the clearance in my case. I couldn't find any definite measurements online. 
Good luck installing and post pictures as you go!

I’ll be starting next Thursday. I need a working pc and plan to finally switch the build over to the Corsair satin hardline tubing. Thankfully EVGA decided to get to my 3080 queue spot from 2020 so that arrives Thursday and I can set up a pc on my test bench while I assemble the water cooling loop. I’m also planning on running either 11 or 14m/wk alphacool or fujipoly front pads
Emparus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 09:06:34 (permalink)
redteamgo
Is this block really twice as good as the KP hydrocopper block???

Of course not in cooling performance. It looks twice as good and that is what you pay for. If you really are into aesthetics this is worth it. Just looks really good.
lol133736
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 14:46:28 (permalink)
gratz@!
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 21:38:08 (permalink)
Well, got the KP Optimus block into my pc today.  Started running it after pressure testing the loop and was able to post on the first attempt.  Since I changed out my NVME drives, i was in the process of loading the operating system and getting the NVME drives recognized by the system.  After that, i was working on downloading other software and during one of those restarts the screen did not turn on and the error message came up on the KP screen "+12V INPUT" and then the screen cycled to "+5V INPUT Too Low!".  Nothing comes up on the screen so now I have to wait until Monday to call customer service to start a rma.  I tried a standalone PSU to power just the KP, but it came out with the same error message.  

I'm thinking the GPU just died after less than an hour of use.  

I am really frustrated now after spending the hours working on getting this into the loop to now have to take apart the gpu unless anyone has an idea how to resolve this issue.  

I was using cable extensions from cable mods instead of the strimmers I did have prior.  if it matters, and the parts list is in my signature except i was changing to the KP and the NVME drives were being upgraded (I don't think these would be the issue as they were working fine up to the point of failure).  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Emparus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 21:58:46 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
Well, got the KP Optimus block into my pc today.  Started running it after pressure testing the loop and was able to post on the first attempt.  Since I changed out my NVME drives, i was in the process of loading the operating system and getting the NVME drives recognized by the system.  After that, i was working on downloading other software and during one of those restarts the screen did not turn on and the error message came up on the KP screen "+12V INPUT" and then the screen cycled to "+5V INPUT Too Low!".  Nothing comes up on the screen so now I have to wait until Monday to call customer service to start a rma.  I tried a standalone PSU to power just the KP, but it came out with the same error message.  

I'm thinking the GPU just died after less than an hour of use.  

I am really frustrated now after spending the hours working on getting this into the loop to now have to take apart the gpu unless anyone has an idea how to resolve this issue.  

I was using cable extensions from cable mods instead of the strimmers I did have prior.  if it matters, and the parts list is in my signature except i was changing to the KP and the NVME drives were being upgraded (I don't think these would be the issue as they were working fine up to the point of failure).  

If you used cable extensions, there may be a mistake in the wiring. Happened to me with custom cables. There is a reason the card died. Take all apart and reassemble. Look out for shorts or pressure that could bend the card. Make sure the card is correctly seated in the PCIe slot (Very common issue with heavy cards/water blocks).

post edited by Emparus - 2022/01/29 22:00:53
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/29 23:00:50 (permalink)
I just put my 3090 back in without a riser cable and it went right in with no issues.  I'll try the riser cable later tonight if I have time.  But the power cables look to be fine as they initially were used in the system when I got it to post, and then it's powering my 3090 for the last 5 minutes with no load.  I'm just worn out right now.  

I also checked the power cables to make sure none of the wires were crossed before I installed them in the build.  I've seen some cables come out of the package with the cables crossed or not in the correct alignment so I take the time to double check while I put the combs on.  

When I took out the KP, it has a slight burned smell near the power cables so I'm thinking it's toast.  The oder was very slight, but still not a good sign.  
post edited by Gotspeed_2000 - 2022/01/29 23:02:28

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Zen_Punk
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/30 12:59:53 (permalink)
That would be so annoying, after waiting so long to receive the block. Hopefully you won’t have to rma, but seems unlikely.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/30 14:41:10 (permalink)
yeah, I feel kinda broken right now to be honest.  All that time waiting and then working to get it into my loop.  The worst part was that it was actually working for a short period while I loaded the new os and starting loading my programs until it didn't.  

I'm almost done converting it back to the hybrid at this point.  Only have to close up the rear plate at this point.  Once I get it back to stock, I might try and pull my son's old I7 9700k system.  I think it is only missing ram which I can stick something in to atleast try and see if it gpu boots.  But I'm not hopefull at this point either.  The stupid part is I bought the Kingpin since it has better components than the standard 3090 FTW3 Ultra.  My 3090 was in use with a water block for over 6 months straight with no issues.  My Kingpin didn't even last a day.  

Go figure.  Now I have to pay around 100 bucks to send it back to evga for what in my opinion is a factory defect.  The original GPU was only used for less than 5 hours total use (about 3 hours of initial testing with the hybrid kit when i first got it and another less than two once I got it into my loop).

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/31 06:13:21 (permalink)
that message usually indicates loose power connector or bad extensions. but the burning smell is clearly v bad news. sorry man, hope your RMA goes quickly and without EVGA trying to pin the blame on you, which they have done more frequently over the past year than anyone would expect...
lol133736
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/31 06:20:35 (permalink)
600$ is not that much for such a beast
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/31 12:20:18 (permalink)
zippytek
that message usually indicates loose power connector or bad extensions. but the burning smell is clearly v bad news. sorry man, hope your RMA goes quickly and without EVGA trying to pin the blame on you, which they have done more frequently over the past year than anyone would expect...

Thanks Zippy for the info and thoughts.  

I called EVGA support and spoke with someone there.  He put me into step one of the RMA so now I am waiting on the step 2 notification for RMA service.  The customer service person is a gamer who had some knowledge of PCs so that was really nice rather than speaking to someone who is there with no background with GPUs or gaming.  He said he added notes to my file about the thermal putty issues I had in not being able to save the ones off the VRMs.  It came off mostly stuck to the VRMs when I took it apart so I wasn't able to save much at all.  I replaced them with brand new thermal right pads just so that it had something there.  I asked him to make note of it in the records in that it was replaced only for the purpose of having something there for the RMA purpose and that it wasn't used like that.  I didn't want my RMA reject upon receipt because of that.  He said he spoke with the manager and note it in the record so when they get it it has less chance of it being rejected.  It kinda sucks that I have to pay for shipping back to them after not being able to even really use or enjoy the Kingpin, but it is what it is.  

Now I'm waiting on step two and then having to ship it out to them.  They offered cross ship, but I'm really not in a rush to get it back since I don't know when I'll be able to work on it again.  

We'll see how my RMA process goes after they get my Kingpin in and see what they say.  I took pictures of the PCB after I took off the Optimus block and once I had everything back together again too for my records.  I made sure I had all the parts and screws which was all accounted for and installed back to how it was when I got it.  This is the first time I have to RMA something to EVGA so I'm hoping to get the EVGA service I've been hearing about which was a huge factor in my decisions to purchase only EVGA GPUs and PSUs.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/31 12:29:01 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
zippytek

Thanks Zippy for the info and thoughts.  

I called EVGA support and spoke with someone there.  He put me into step one of the RMA so now I am waiting on the step 2 notification for RMA service.  The customer service person is a gamer who had some knowledge of PCs so that was really nice rather than speaking to someone who is there with no background with GPUs or gaming.  He said he added notes to my file about the thermal putty issues I had in not being able to save the ones off the VRMs.  It came off mostly stuck to the VRMs when I took it apart so I wasn't able to save much at all.  I replaced them with brand new thermal right pads just so that it had something there.  I asked him to make note of it in the records in that it was replaced only for the purpose of having something there for the RMA purpose and that it wasn't used like that.  I didn't want my RMA reject upon receipt because of that.  He said he spoke with the manager and note it in the record so when they get it it has less chance of it being rejected.  It kinda sucks that I have to pay for shipping back to them after not being able to even really use or enjoy the Kingpin, but it is what it is.  

Now I'm waiting on step two and then having to ship it out to them.  They offered cross ship, but I'm really not in a rush to get it back since I don't know when I'll be able to work on it again.  

We'll see how my RMA process goes after they get my Kingpin in and see what they say.  I took pictures of the PCB after I took off the Optimus block and once I had everything back together again too for my records.  I made sure I had all the parts and screws which was all accounted for and installed back to how it was when I got it.  This is the first time I have to RMA something to EVGA so I'm hoping to get the EVGA service I've been hearing about which was a huge factor in my decisions to purchase only EVGA GPUs and PSUs.  

I've had to RMA quite a few times, and so far haven't had a bad experience.  The shipping back is a bit of a pain, especially when I could drive it over to them.  I've been pretty lax on thermal pad reapplication in RMAs and just throw whatever I have left in reassembly.  Haven't had a problem thus far.  Things should go pretty smooth for you. 
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/31 19:14:24 (permalink)
Got speed, condolences. I also had a burnt smell from the power area on my 2nd kingpin when it died. It was very random and without warning. Very frustrating needless to say. You will get back in it. Sorry for the wasted time.
post edited by redteamgo - 2022/01/31 19:23:47

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
AtozGlue
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/31 23:23:09 (permalink)
How hard is it to cerakote something white. Should be the same as black. No difference. I’m starting to think white and silver has a staining issue when used in a loop. Black is easier to hide this. Probably why they stopped the production of white and silver. I wished they offered nickel plating.
post edited by AtozGlue - 2022/02/01 01:03:51
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/02/01 01:00:46 (permalink)
AtozGlue
How hard is it to cerakote something white. Should be the same as black. No difference. I’m starting to think white and silver has a staining issue when used in a loop. Black is easier to hide this. Probably why they stopped the production of white and silver. I wished they offered nickel plating. Is Cerakote porous? Maybe they need to spray on a clear coat.

I'm not an expert on anything, but I'm thinking that some how the new blocks are either allowing moisture to escape the block or it's allowing condensation.  I have the FTW3 Ultra block in their nickel finish and it works fine after months of use.  The only difference in the blocks beside the original design of the two is the Cerakote finish unless they changed sources for the gaskets.  I honestly don't like the textured finish and I'm wondering if that is part of the cause.  My block passed the pressure test, but that was done under air and while the block/gasket were new.  I've seen some pictures of the white gasket getting discolored on overclockers and I'm wondering if that is having other effects like hardening  which may allow moisture to escape due to the textured finish.  I've seen also a picture on overclockers of one user with a white block with blue colored coolant which looks like the blue coloring is escaping the sealed portion of the block and getting to areas outside of the sealed coolant area.  I haven't seen the block in person, but it appears that the coloring is escaping from a pretty wide area all along the gasket.  The user confirmed that there is dye in what he wipes away so it has to be coming from the sealed portion of the loop.  Here is the link with the picture and his post there:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/optimus-waterblock.1733810/page-626

Some of what other posters there can be attributed to the plexi making contact with the cerakote finish as I've seen that in my block prior to putting through fluid into the block and tightening up the screws that secure the plexi to the block.  When contact between the block and plexi occur it made it looks like a foggy white area around where the screws are (in my case the block is finished in cerakote silver).  But the tell tale one is the user who used blue coolant.  I'm not sure if he tightened down the screws that secure the plexi to the block and maybe his was one where it was tensioned properly from Optimus, but either way it's a concern as my cold plate was not secured properly when I initially received it and had to chase the leak which took me to the cold plate.  After I secured the cold plate properly it held air pressure from my EK tester for over an hour at .75 bar.  When I put my block into my system it the entire system held .75 bar for over 4 hours (I forgot I was testing while I was watching tv).  

I'm not saying yet that the Optimus block caused my failure as there was no signs of leaking on my block, but when I look at some of the pictures of others posted on overclockers I'm starting to get concerned about the reliability of the block and gaskets.  For those who use test benches instead of traditional cases it's a lot easier for them to monitor for leaks and condensation.  Once these blocks are in a case, it gets a lot harder especially if they are vertically mounted.  

Cerkote finishes used for firearms seem to hold up well and I haven't seen a staining issue with those.  What I'm thinking is that because of the textured finish it's allowing dyes to cling to the finish in the texture.  I bought a white block for the 3080 for my son's pc and after seeing these issues I might be second guessing myself on using the block on his GPU until I know for sure that the finish and gasket are not causing issues.  I don't think you can clear coat over the cerakote as it would defeat the purpose of using that finish.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 55
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile