New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC

Author
Phily
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2012/06/19 11:02:25 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

I am reaching out to the community here for some assistance with liquid cooled systems.  I am not new to building computers, however, when it comes to liquid cooled systems, I am a novice.  I have been conducting a lot of research over the last several weeks, mainly on Distilled water with a Silver Coil/and or PTNuke vs. Pre-mixed coolant.  Each has their pros and cons, which were argued very well.  As being new to the liquid coolant world, I am still undecided with which cooling solution I should use.

The main points that have been argued are:

Distilled Water with Silver Coil/PTNuke

Pros:
  • No conductivity, but over time does become conductive
  • More efficient in cooling than pre-mixed solution by 1-5 degrees
  • Silver Coil/PTNuke is an antimicrobial and helps against growth of algae
  • Cheap

Cons:
  • Does not help prevent corrosion

Pre-mixed Solution

Pros:

• Helps protect against corrosion and growth of algae

Cons:
  • Runs 1-5 degrees hotter than Distilled Water
  • High chance to clog blocks
  • Ability to cause corrosion if using mixed metals
  • More expensive

It seems like a “no-brainer” to go with Distilled Water and Silver Coil/PTNuke.  My only concern is my blocks are not protected against corrosion.

I called Koolance to get their opinion on Distilled Water and Silver Coil/PTNuke; since my CPU, GPU, and RAM blocks are Koolance.  Surprisingly, the gentleman confirmed the pros and cons for both, but has the concern about the potential corrosion with Distilled Water.  In addition, to his concern with corrosion, he said that all brands of distilled water is different, so depending on which brand you buy the results will vary.

He suggested the Koolance LIQ-702 Liquid Coolant Bottle, High-Performance, 700mL (Colorless), not because he works for Koolance, but because of the corrosion prevention additive, and the fact that they make their own distilled water in house (due to all other distilled water being different).  He also pointed out that a lot of companies manufacture pre-mixed coolant, but do not conduct tests for the longevity of the system, which in turn gives companies that make a good quality coolant (and the hardware) a bad name.

On a side note, I read somewhere that using Prestone Anitfreeze Coolant for you car is viable for PC cooling.  I am not sure that I would want antifreeze in PC!

I am open to all comments and suggestions that any of you may have to help assist me.  If I happened to provide incorrect information above, please let me know.  Below is my build, as it may help decide which coolant I should use:

General Parts:
Case:  Mountain Mods Extended Ascension
Motherboard:  EVGA Z77 FTW
Processor:  Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5 GHz
Ram:  G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (PC3 12800)
HDD:  2 x Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC
            1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1 TB SATA
Media Drive:  Samsung 22X DVD Burner
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 690
Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W Individually-Sleeved Modular Gaming 80Plus Gold Power Supply
Case Fan:  25 x CoolerMaster Fan R4-L2R-20AR-R1 120mm Sickle Flow 2000rpm LED Red BlackCurrent

Water Cooling Items:
1 x Koolance CPU-370SI Intel Liquid Cooling CPU Block - (No Fittings)
1 x Koolance VID-NX690 GeForce VGA Liquid Cooling Block (No Fittings)
1 x Koolance RAM-33 Water Block (No Fittings)
1 x Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir Rev 2.0 (Serial or Parallel) w/ Dual Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump Installed
2 x Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator – Black
14 x XSPC G1/4" Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Low Profile Compression Fitting
2 x Enzotech G1/4" Thread 90-Degree Rotary 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting
3 x Sliding 180-Degree U Connector (Memory)
2 x Nozzle Single, Swivel/Lock Barb for ID 10mm (3/8in) (Memory)
2 x PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT 10ft Tubing 1/2"ID 3/4"OD with 1/8" Wall
1 x ArctiClean 1 & 2 (Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier) - 60ml Kit
1 x Danger Den Premium Tube Cutter - Designed For 3/4" OD

I am going to run a two-loop system.  One loop for RAM and CPU.  Second loop for GPU.  I am still deciding on how to run the first loop.

Pump/Reservoir -----> RAM -----> CPU -----> RAD -----> Pump/Reservoir
The reason for this design is the RAM heat is going to be very minimal, so carrying it to the CPU should not effect it.

Pump/Reservoir -----> CPU -----> RAM -----> RAD -----> Pump/Reservoir
The reason for this design is the water is the coldest coming from the pump, so cooling the CPU would be beneficial (since Ivy Bridges run hotter than Sandy Bridge), but not sure if I want to transfer the heat to the RAM.

Below are two pictures of my case.  The radiators will mount vertically (not horizontal) in the front, due to the space available.  One will be on the left, the second one on the right, and three CoolerMaster Fan R4-L2R-20AR-R1 120mm Sickle Flow 2000rpm LED Red BlackCurrent in the middle.  The front and back of the case will be the intake for air, and the top will be the exhaust (since heat rises).  

Any thoughts for my loop design?

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance with my build.

8 Replies Related Threads

yellow__fever
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1951
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/19 13:09:33 (permalink)
    Corrosion only happens when the incorrect metals are mixed in the loop, mainly when you introduce a combo like aluminium and copper. They act as a battery and start eating away at each other, I could be wrong but I highly doubt distilled water has any effect on corrosion (I run distilled + silver kill coil). 

I only advise distilled water and some sort of biocide. I'm highly against running any other coolant, due to the gunk that builds up in your blocks and the hassle it is to clean it. I have no doubt Koolance knows their stuff, but I'm willing to bet the person you spoke with just wanted you to pick up another one of their products. As long as you don't mix metals in your loop, corrosion should not be an issue.

Your parts list look solid, honestly don't worry about loop order. As long as your reservoir feeds your pump (outlet of res into the inlet of the pump) you'll see no noticeable gains or losses from having a specific order of components in your loop. The temperature of your water will reach an equilibrium, no matter what you place where. Route the loop in the way that is the easiest for the water to flow, and using minimal tubing.

"Sang Noir"
    -Silverstone TJ07-BW
    -Intel Core i7 920 @4.209GHz 1.343VCore + EK Supreme HF Rev2 Acetal Copper
    -OCZ XTC Platinum 6GB DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
    -Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage III Extreme
    -EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 Classified [900/1800/2100] + EK-FC480 Copper Waterblock
    -2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD + 1x WD 1TB Black
    -Corsair AX1200 PSU + Laing D5 (EK D5 XTop Rev2) + Feser Quad XChanger
    -Razer Mamba + Razer Blackwidow + Sennheiser PC 320
    -46" Samsung LED TV 1920x1080p
    Pics in Mod Rigs!
    flasher4q
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1323
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/19 14:32:43 (permalink)
    I have a Koolance EXOS 2  system that is 7 years old and all I have ever used is distilled water , a silver coil and pt also...but all I have ever done to my system is change the radiator out to a better one....

Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming
    Ryzen7 5800x
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 Gig 3600
    Samsung 1T 980 PRO PCIe 4.0
    Samsung 500Gig 970 Evo PCIe 3.0
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Thermaltake Pump/Res combo
    Primochill 2 120x2 Radiators
    Bitspower G1/4" Premium master fittings
    Corsair RM 850x
    CoolerMaster H500P Case
    EK-Quantum Velocity D CPU cooler
    Bose Companion2 Speakers

Phily
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/19 15:44:09 (permalink)
    I double checked on the metals for the radiators, CPU block, and GPU block.  Here is what I found:
    • I looked on the manufactures and in the features it has 'Custom MaxFin™ 25 micron Copper Splitter Fin'.
    • The Koolance CPU water block is Nickel-Plated Copper, Stainless Steel, POM Acetal, EPDM. Although, I wonder if I should have went with   over the current one I bought since it claims to have an optimized flow path minimize coolant restriction.
    • The Koolance GPU water block is Nickel-Plated Copper, Nickel-Plated Brass, Stainless Steel, POM Acetal, EPDM
    Since all three products have copper in them, then I should be fine using distilled water will the silver coil?

I have also been recommend to use clear tubing to watch the water for any color changes and for reduced cooling temperatures. I bought and have red tubing to go with my red theme.  I wonder if it would be in my best interest to return it and get clear tubing. Or does not it make a difference?

What are your thoughts on my Cool Master SickleFlow 120 2000 R.P.M. Fans?  I was recommend to get the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, but the specifications did not match or come close to the Cool Master SickleFlow.

Cool Master SickleFlow
    120 mm - 2000 rpm: 0.35A - 19 dBA - 69.69 CFM

Scythe Gentle Typhoon
    120 mm - 1,850 rpm: 0.083 A - 28 dBA - 98 m³/h - 57 CFM

Did I miss interpret the specifications from the Scythe Gentle Typhoon?
    post edited by Phily - 2012/06/19 16:40:12
    shrekdaklown
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 920
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/19 18:19:38 (permalink)
    you should be fine just used distilled with the silver coil all dissimilar metals are nickel plated and nickel and copper dont react to each other

i went to the darkside (intel) they had cookies lol        
    dont forget to show my modrig some lovins guys
    http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=28174

JaskarnSidhu
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 837
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/20 12:31:03 (permalink)
    When using fans to cool a raidiator you want to look at static pressure, not CFM's. The gentle typhoon's have more static preassure than those that you have linked....I will try and find you a link for some fans where you can compare the static pressures.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4661
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/20 14:02:32 (permalink)
    Jaskarn is correct, i usually use this comparison.  Think of CFM vs Static pressure like RPM versus torque in a car.
    You can spin a RX8's rotary to 9500, a Big Block V8 to say 6K easily, and a larger grade diesel to 3500 RPM.  But the torque difference is HUGE, Can you tow with the bigblock, sure, up to what most people would ever have need to tow, the RX8, no definitly not it is about acceleration not pulling power.  But when you get up to loads beyond with the bigblock can pull, the diesel is still going strong.  Might not spin as fast, but it does it with enough force that it can do the job.
    Phily
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/20 16:04:28 (permalink)
    Thanks Jaskarn and Dave_B.

A buddy from work recommended that I use two different types of fans with different static pressures.  His reason is:
    1. I am using radiators with higher FINs, so I want to use a fan with higher static pressure
    2. To provide optimal cooling, the intake of air should be greater than the exhaust
    With my case he suggests:
    • The front 9 fans (which include my two radiators), and the back 5, should have higher static pressure to allow maximum air flow in
    • The top 12 fans should have lower static pressure, so the amount of air leaving is low.
    I am not sure if what he is suggesting is correct or accurate.  However, if it is, below are the two fans I am thinking about:

(I still get to keep my red theme :))

Specifications:
    Model: D12SL-12
    Fan Size: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm
    Speed: 1250 +/- 10% RPM
    Airflow: 38.5 CFM
    Static Pressure: 0.8mm H2O (1.1mm H2O Max)
    Noise: 25.4 dBA
    Bearing: Sleeve
    Voltage: 12 V
    Current: .15 Amp Max
    Fan Life: 20,000 hours
    Connector: 3pin and 4pin pass-through connector

Specifications:
    Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 38 mm
    Nominal Voltage: 12 V DC
    Input Current: 0.30A Max
    Nominal speed: 1350 RPM
    Airflow: 48 CFM
    Noise level: 23 dBA
    Bearing Type: Sleeve
    Frame Style: Open Chassis
    Connector: Standard 3-Pin & Standard 4-Pin Pass-Through

I tried reaching online the static pressure for the Yate Loon 120mm x 38mm Fans, but had no luck. :(  I will research some more after dinner.
    JaskarnSidhu
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 837
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC 2012/06/20 16:11:06 (permalink)
    Static pressure is often measured in mm/H20 or in in/H20. If you find one in inches (in/H20) and want to convert it into mm/H20 simply multiply by 25.4 and you'll get how much mm/h20 it is. If its in mm/h20 and you want in/h20 just divide by 25.4.

I have some links for you. I hope they help you and are what you are looking for.

http://catalog.nidec-serv...general/pdf/D1225C.pdf

http://martinsliquidlab.i..ory.com/FanTesting.html

Here is a link that better describes the relation of CFM vs. Static pressure and why you'd want more static pressure over CFM. Try to find Bing's post, about half way down (post #8)
    http://www.overclockers.c...howthread.php?t=696798

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile