My homemade Knife/Forging MEGA THREAD *UPDATED*

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Author
brcromer
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4503
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/16 19:32:20 (permalink)
Byootifull Mang.

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11233
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/16 21:17:04 (permalink)
it came out better than I could have hoped.  Here is is hot off the machine, and pre-bead blasted:

Now, back to the spring steel wrapped tool steel:
FAIL

Not in terms of the steel, I just failed to draw it out wide enough.  Not too worry, I have 2 more sets of spring/tool steel to play with.

Just not wide enough.

(so help me god one of you says "thats what she said..")

Probably a heat treat on the horizon.  But in other news I think I am going to reach out and get a few members of the community out from behind their computers and down into their shops.  I probably won't use that perfectly good billet for anything sooo....  I will make a contest out of it :)
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/18 20:30:03 (permalink)
pre-heat treat.  doing a differential heat treat.  (hamon)

After heat treat and a quick bead blast:

hopefully should have a handle made tonight...

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/18 20:56:45 (permalink)
What kind of cookie dough is that on the knife nateman??? MMMmmmm   LOL  
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/18 22:23:00 (permalink)
Its called furnace cement if I remember correctly.  All its really doing is preventing the hardening process.  The steel hardens when it is brought to a certain temp, and cooled down rapidly.  For this metal is dunked in oil.  The cement prevents the rapid cool down so the spine stays soft, while the edge stays hard.  
brcromer
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4503
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/19 08:26:21 (permalink)
Does your nub have to stick out so far?  I wanted a little nub'bin about half of what you have there.  And then there's the way you squirted your awesome sauce cement all over the back of that knife.  Pr0n!!!!!!   Are you going to put your name on the ricasso area or somewhere else?  What kind of metal are you using for this knife?  Is it 01?

I forgot to mention... what applying a rust resistant coating?  Like DLC or get it hard chromed or something?
post edited by brcromer - 2017/02/19 08:28:44

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/19 16:11:21 (permalink)
these are working prototypes of 1095.  I just went to my steel supplier and asked for whatever he had that was 1/4 thick and 2.5 wide that was ready to go.  I can make it out of anything, but I wanted to get them cut and went straight into a working prototype.  They can be used right away.  Going to temper them down to around 59-60 HRC as it is a chopper.

The handle didn't pan out last night because I used the wrong bit.  Trying again tonight.  

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/19 22:25:02 (permalink)
handle was successful.  However, I am going to wait until I test the knife out to install it.

All I did was a cord wrap, a quick gun blue, and a quick edge so I can test it out tomorrow.  

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/20 11:36:37 (permalink)
Thanks for the updates as you work the project, interesting knife

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/20 15:12:40 (permalink)
thanks!

I just put the knife through the ringer. Beat it to death on a birch tree. Not a dent, chip, crack or anything.
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/22 04:54:31 (permalink)
new burl handle is cured/stabilized.  Hopefully some pictures soon.
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/22 20:08:01 (permalink)
Handle came out well.  I will post a crapload of pics tomorrow.  In the meantime I will showcase...EXCALIBURL.  

This tree lays deep in the swamps.  Its got burls ALL the way up.  Only the mightiest Burl hunters will be able to pull it from its slumber.
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/22 20:13:13 (permalink)
oh... and what do you suppose this is??

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/22 20:19:28 (permalink)
nateman_doo
oh... and what do you suppose this is??

I cheated and see the answer, but shall not post the answer.. i will say, its going to be beautiful!
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/23 04:44:22 (permalink)
It is the most unique piece of wood I have ever laid eyes on:

One of the hardest woods in the world known as Lignum  Vitae.  Super endangered from humans foresting this for things like barrels (so I have read).  

"Lignum Vitae is regarded by most to be both the heaviest and hardest wood in the world. Its durability in submerged or ground-contact applications is also exceptional. Lignum Vitae has been used for propeller shaft bearings on ships, and its natural oils provide self-lubrication that gives the wood excellent wear resistance.
Unfortunately, Lignum Vitae has been exploited to the brink of extinction, and is now an endangered species. Verawood—a related wood species with similar working properties and characteristics—is commonly used as a substitute, and is sometimes called Argentine Lignum Vitae. Yet even this species (Bulnesia sarmientoi) has been included in CITES Appendix III, though it is not as restrictive as Appendix II where Lignum Vitae is found."
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/23 04:46:48 (permalink)
Annnnddd onto the handles :)

Various lighting.
The striped one is bocote, One is stabilized maple burl... and the other is a mysterious swamp root burl.

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/25 09:06:52 (permalink)
I did it!!   I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/25 10:09:15 (permalink)
nateman_doo
I did it!!   I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!!  

Yay
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/25 13:36:06 (permalink)
PERFECT bonding :)

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/25 13:37:25 (permalink)
Wow! That is beautiful!
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/25 15:11:32 (permalink)
Isn't it?? I am tickled pink!  
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/27 12:16:33 (permalink)
Drew it out a bit more last night:

Finally have enough steel:

The thinnest part of the billet is 0.375".  towards the handle its actually a bit thicker.  Needs to be 0.25" thick.

This piece is about as long as my forge can handle..

(without opening the backside.  What?  You thought I would build something that couldn't be modified to accommodate the future?)
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/27 12:31:27 (permalink)
Haha! I enjoy your excitement Nateman!! It is always cool when a plan works out. Did you do anything different this time? temps or time? I like how the handles turned out also. Really like the bocote, but they are all cool looking.  
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/27 16:36:31 (permalink)
My buddy liked the bocote the most as well.  Personally I favor the burl on the right (http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/nateman_doo/IMG_20170222_183039_786_zpswq7zwz6a.jpg)  More on that in the next post.

many things were different.  First, I used a thicker tool steel rod. (1.25" OD), and the spring wrap on the outside equaled a 1.5" OD total rod.  Did the same things like extend the spring to sandblast the interior as best as I could.  

But the most important thing that I did, was taking the entire welded structure, and put it in the press on edge.  What that did, was expand the inner core to mate with the exterior spring, and also shortened the rod.  I can draw out the rod lengthwise all day, but making it wider takes more, especially when we want a tool steel edge - not a spring steel, so I will have to grind away the blade side of the springs.  

I made a quick video of it.  unedited:

I first goofed because I didn't open the press wide enough to account for the lengthwise expansion of the steel.  You can see me fumble around it for a hot second and as I was trying to open the press wider, I accidently started to close the press putting a slight bend in the rod.  I was SUPER upset about it at first.  It still worked, and the rod could be bent back into place, but I didn't want to put a bent rod under a multi-ton force and have a ten pound piece of 2000° steel shoot out at me.   So I crushed is as far as I was willing to do.  Then the banging in the distance is me tapping it all around in a few places.  

All in all it worked out well.  Will probably be working on it a bit more tonight.  

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/02/27 16:59:50 (permalink)
Now, back to burls....

Take a look at this everyday looking tree I found in a swamp:

Looks like a regular ugly tree right?  Now look more closely, at the bottom.

See all that growth at the bottom?  All the small sprouts?  That means there is LOTS going on at the base of the tree.

I cut a small sample of the wood and it was one of the most breath taking pattern I have ever seen in wood.

Here is the size of the section I got from it:

45° persepective:

Some up-close pictures:

That is the type of swamp root burl (as I call it) that results in wood like this:

In that large piece alone, there are so many different patterns to choose from.  The knife handle pictured above was more of a striped pattern, but if you cut the wood on edge, it shows more swirls then stripes.

Every single cut of wood is like a treasure chest.  You never know what its going to look like.  If I had to guess the type of wood that tree is, It is estimated to be Pin Cherry.  I intend to cut a sample from the tree and have it sent away for analysis to know for sure.

I made a HUGE score from another tree on the property, that I think is birch burls.  More on that later.

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/03/01 07:52:01 (permalink)
Dear god.... this metal is some TOUGH STUFF.

Took me quite a while to drill holes in it.  Cobalt steel does nothing.  Had to go straight to carbide!

So the outside shape is cut, and a quick inspection reveals no inclusions in the steel.  100% solid.  Now the hard part will be getting this 1/4" thick, and parallel on both sides.  Don't want the material bent from the get-go. 
Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12859
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/03/01 08:35:08 (permalink)
Nateman this is one of the coolest threads on this forum, so interesting to read through. Those look incredible.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Nomadre
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/03/01 09:15:41 (permalink)
Would be curious as to if the spring steel causes any stress movement of the material as you machine it down to the 1/4 inch. Had to chuckle at the going straight to carbide and wondering what the Rc hardness is on it.  If it is up there then maybe it wont move, but could be brittle?
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/03/01 11:26:29 (permalink)
Halo_003
Nateman this is one of the coolest threads on this forum, so interesting to read through. Those look incredible.

thanks!  Glad you like it!
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Made some more metal things. Looking for opinions. 2017/03/01 11:28:49 (permalink)
Nomadre
Would be curious as to if the spring steel causes any stress movement of the material as you machine it down to the 1/4 inch. Had to chuckle at the going straight to carbide and wondering what the Rc hardness is on it.  If it is up there then maybe it wont move, but could be brittle?

some parts of it are harder then others.  I managed to get some holes in other parts, but around the handle drill bits dont even scratch it.  So it obviously harder then high speed steel.  Normally I just take the billet out of the forge and having it cool in still air is enough to normalize it.  Even doing it a few times, but I feel like because its thin, (3/8" at the moment) it cools quicker then it would like  and develops a hardness. 
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile