Hot!EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown

Author
Robomatt
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/29 11:36:35 (permalink)
Hello, 

After I shutdown my computer and turn it on, my Z15 keyboard is off most of the time and not recognized by Windows 10. 
I always have to unplug and plug it back to the front USB 3.0 port on my case, then it is recognized and turns on. I have a MSI X570s Tomahawk motherboard and a 1000w power supply. My BIOS is updated to the latest version. I also have the EVGA Unleash RGB software installed. I wrote this issue to msi, but I couldn't get a result. Anyone having the same issue with his/her Z15 keyboard? Is there a solution to this problem?

19 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2021/10/29 16:20:16 (permalink)
    Plug your keyboard directly to the motherboard's I/O USB ports in the back. 

Robomatt
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2021/10/29 19:24:58 (permalink)
    I did plug it to the motherboard's I/O USB ports in the back before, but then I got really tired to unplug and plug it to the back. Then I decided to plug it to the front USB ports. So that now it is easier to unplug and plug it.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2021/11/01 10:28:28 (permalink)
    make sure that you install Unleash RGB to make sure that the firmware is updated on the Z15. Once firmware is updated test again and if possible test on a different computer. 

SamirD
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2021/11/28 14:03:12 (permalink)
    Try plugging it into any usb 2.0 port versus 3.0.  I know on some of my systems, it won't recognize input devices at boot from the 3.0 ports.
    Robomatt
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2021/12/26 22:14:09 (permalink)
    I sent my keyboard back to EVGA and completed the RMA process. Received a new one and the problem still persists. It must be a setting somewhere. Here is what I did:
    1. Disabled legacy usb support under BIOS,
    2. Unchecked "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" in Power Management tab for all USB Root Hubs (USB 3.0) at device manager.

Still having the same issue. 
    Kbird666
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2022/01/16 12:40:48 (permalink)
    I have the same Issue with my new Z15 , no issues whatsoever with the previous Steel series KB on my Z590 MB and with the number of reports here on the Forum with the same issue my guess is it is a Firmware Issue with the KB, I keep getting the Device Descriptor Request Failed error  and have to climb under my desk and unplug/plug it again which is a major PITA.

The KB also seems to ignore the system and Unleashed repeat and repeat delay settings I am getting a lot of repeated
    keys at all polling rates.

GByte Z590 Aorus Elite AX MB + 11700K
    32GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3200mhz
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
    EVGA G6 850watt P.S.
    (3) 32" BenQ BL3200PT Monitors (CAD-WS)

Robomatt
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2022/01/16 13:36:24 (permalink)
    Kbird666
    I have the same Issue with my new Z15 , no issues whatsoever with the previous Steel series KB on my Z590 MB and with the number of reports here on the Forum with the same issue my guess is it is a Firmware Issue with the KB, I keep getting the Device Descriptor Request Failed error  and have to climb under my desk and unplug/plug it again which is a major PITA.

The KB also seems to ignore the system and Unleashed repeat and repeat delay settings I am getting a lot of repeated
    keys at all polling rates.

So looks like I have found the solution for my problem. I thoroughly looked all the BIOS settings and clicked Advanced Settings -> Wake up event Setup -> Enable Wake on USB device, changed Wake Up Event from "OS" to "BIOS". Now, each time I hibernate or reboot, my keyboard works! Hope this will help you also. 
    Kbird666
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2022/01/16 13:46:29 (permalink)
    Robomatt
    So looks like I have found the solution for my problem. I thoroughly looked all the BIOS settings and clicked Advanced Settings -> Wake up event Setup -> Enable Wake on USB device, changed Wake Up Event from "OS" to "BIOS". Now, each time I hibernate or reboot, my keyboard works! Hope this will help you also. 

Thanks for posting back I will check into that , as setting the Alarm to wake the PC in the Bios doesn't work either.

*Update....  unfortunately on my intel board there appears to be no such setting , at least not on my Gigabyte Board.
    post edited by Kbird666 - 2022/01/16 14:55:11

EVGA Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
    EVGA G6 850watt P.S.

adsubzero
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/08/30 05:57:33 (permalink)
    It's really sad to see that this issue has never been solved and there are a lot of identical threads all over the internet.
    I would like to add another piece of information to this so maybe then EVGA can solve the issue.
    When the computer boots and the keyboard doesn't turn on, I noticed that in EVGA Unleash software the report rate is set 4000 Hz, even though I always had it at 1000 Hz.
    Switching to 1000 Hz makes the keyboard turn on.
    Any suggestions, maybe a firmware rollback or something? Maybe push a firmware update which doesn't force you the keyboard to 4000 Hz when it's turned off?
    straussy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/09/16 17:22:20 (permalink)
    adsubzero
    It's really sad to see that this issue has never been solved and there are a lot of identical threads all over the internet.
    I would like to add another piece of information to this so maybe then EVGA can solve the issue.
    When the computer boots and the keyboard doesn't turn on, I noticed that in EVGA Unleash software the report rate is set 4000 Hz, even though I always had it at 1000 Hz.
    Any suggestions, maybe a firmware rollback or something? Maybe push a firmware update which doesn't force you the keyboard to 4000 Hz when it's turned off?

I can confirm the exact problem mentioned above with my Z15 @ boot. I have reflashed the Bios connected different keyboards to confirm  MY PC is not the problem EVGA you need to fix this!!!
    Or at least provide a way to roll back firmware if this company is not capable of performing the firmware tweaks that are required!! 
    Its sad to see this company on a downhill trend!!!
    adsubzero
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/09/18 14:07:35 (permalink)
    straussy
    adsubzero

I can confirm the exact problem mentioned above with my Z15 @ boot. I have reflashed the Bios connected different keyboards to confirm  MY PC is not the problem EVGA you need to fix this!!!
    Or at least provide a way to roll back firmware if this company is not capable of performing the firmware tweaks that are required!! 
    Its sad to see this company on a downhill trend!!!

Sadly I can't return the keyboard, so I'm stuck for now in hopes of them fixing something. However, seeing posts from TWO YEARS AGO talking about the same issue I doubt anything will change. This belongs in the trash. 90% of the time it doesn't turn on at boot. It's beyond annoying. Fix your damn issues and acknowledge the problem EVGA!
    Kbird666
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/09/18 14:44:56 (permalink)
    adsubzero
    When the computer boots and the keyboard doesn't turn on, I noticed that in EVGA Unleash software the report rate is set 4000 Hz, even though I always had it at 1000 Hz. Switching to 1000 Hz makes the keyboard turn on.
    Any suggestions? 

I now have my Z15 and Z20 plugged into a powered USB 3 HUB, and it helps, I assumed these Keyboards use a small PCB similar to a Arduino and NEED 3.3v/5v to turn on/off etc , I could never get them to work reliably off a USB2 port, but in EVGA's defense this issue is not only with EVGA Keyboards, I have a RK918 and even a new Keychron C2 which have similar issues if the required power isn't supplied (or USB2 is used).

Is it frustrating yes.... that's why I posted hoping to help some.....

KB

EVGA Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
    EVGA G6 850watt P.S.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8859
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/09/18 16:00:00 (permalink)
    I was also reading you can adjust what devices go into sleep mode to save power and disable the keyboard from going into sleep mode. This won’t help on a boot up but will help if the Z-15 goes to sleep and doesn’t want to wake up without being unplugged.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Robomatt
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/10/03 18:10:05 (permalink)
    The only way to keep the keyboard powered after a shutdown, is to set "Wake from USB" enabled in your BIOS. 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 83839
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/10/03 23:37:01 (permalink)
    Robomatt
    The only way to keep the keyboard powered after a shutdown, is to set "Wake from USB" enabled in your BIOS. 

That is correct and also make sure that within the Windows power options that the sleep option is not set for USB. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

straussy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/10/04 03:08:07 (permalink)
    Robomatt

I currently have unleash RGB installed and set to start with OS, when the system boots and the KB has decided to go walkabout I go into unleash and change "Report Rate" from 4000 to 1000 and hit apply KB comes back to life!!! Much easier than USB unplug fix in my case.
    For what ever reason at times the KB is not holding the "Report Rate" selected per profile between shutdown and Boot.
    Cmon EVGA this cant be that hard!!!  
    Its also great how no EVGA personal comment in these chats as to whether this is currently being addressed!!!!
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 83839
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/10/04 04:02:11 (permalink)
    straussy
    Robomatt

I currently have unleash RGB installed and set to start with OS, when the system boots and the KB has decided to go walkabout I go into unleash and change "Report Rate" from 4000 to 1000 and hit apply KB comes back to life!!! Much easier than USB unplug fix in my case.
    For what ever reason at times the KB is not holding the "Report Rate" selected per profile between shutdown and Boot.
    Cmon EVGA this cant be that hard!!!  
    Its also great how no EVGA personal comment in these chats as to whether this is currently being addressed!!!!

Contact EVGA tech support or submit a support ticket

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

adsubzero
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/10/20 09:21:49 (permalink)
    Kbird666
    adsubzero
    When the computer boots and the keyboard doesn't turn on, I noticed that in EVGA Unleash software the report rate is set 4000 Hz, even though I always had it at 1000 Hz. Switching to 1000 Hz makes the keyboard turn on.
    Any suggestions? 

I now have my Z15 and Z20 plugged into a powered USB 3 HUB, and it helps, I assumed these Keyboards use a small PCB similar to a Arduino and NEED 3.3v/5v to turn on/off etc , I could never get them to work reliably off a USB2 port, but in EVGA's defense this issue is not only with EVGA Keyboards, I have a RK918 and even a new Keychron C2 which have similar issues if the required power isn't supplied (or USB2 is used).

KB

Happy to report that connecting the keyboard to my monitor, while the monitor is directly plugged in to the motherboard, makes it turn on properly every time without fail.
    This is a good workaround at least, since EVGA is unable to fix such a ridiculous issue.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8859
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Z15 Keyboard not turned on after a shutdown 2023/10/21 03:59:58 (permalink)
    adsubzero
    Kbird666
    adsubzero
    Any suggestions? 

KB

Happy to report that connecting the keyboard to my monitor, while the monitor is directly plugged in to the motherboard, makes it turn on properly every time without fail.
    This is a good workaround at least, since EVGA is unable to fix such a ridiculous issue.

I have no idea why that would work but hey if it works it works.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile