mosie
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/07/04 08:37:44 (permalink)

WARNING !
     BEWARE: THis post might seriously damage your mental health

So, after 4 days of configuration assembling (SR2 replacement by newest SRX) i'm back. :D
i'm finaly able to make further tests in order to better make me aware of the totally wild issues, stupid and easy engineers choices.
i won't deal with my assemblies, watercooling... here. I 'll maybe create a dedicated topic if i get the motivation to.
This post is dedicated to motherboards issues and isn't a review of the board.

3 main problems:

I- THE BIOS

There is a real lack of options comparated to Z9PE.
All available bios options menu by menu screens. Nice job ! :D

The several available option that are borked for most of them.
                2 cases :
- The option, once validated, stay desactivated or you encounter a defaut bios values loading avec rebooting.
( PCIE line modification options, or others PCIE  under options, Vdimm, VCPU... )
- Other options make more or less randomly  totally crash the computer with numerous error codes like 19 or 6A at the first reboot.
( Vdimm, manual mod MHZ ram, advanced CPU option like power mods...)

Due to the hopelessness to overclock XEON CPUs, we no longer really need advanced CPU's option.
One of the rare options it would have been interesting to have, is the possibility to manage VCPU in order to undervolt it.
By default, VCPU for 2687W CPU is 1.25V. And with 0.9V, it as stable as default frequency. ( it has been tested with mono cpu configuration ( one 2687W) on EVGA SLI with BOINC software runing during 2 days.
Yet, in the case too, EVGA suxxxxxx AGAIN!
VCPU option just allow +/- offset with only +/- 160mV.

So gotta manage with useless  "overvoltage" in load that give us pretty high temperatures whereas it would have get colder with lower VCPU.
VDimm: Whatever bios version, this translates in my case by : either a non appication or a 6A or B7 boot bios error.
This must forbid any RAM o/c over 1600 MHz.
Clock over 1600 with XEON is possible, despite TIN says.
I had tested several XEON CPUs on various mono CPU motherboards and it's possible to get over 2400MHz RAM frequency ( done by Christian).
But still impossible on SRX.

Another very annoying thing:
- We have about about 1/2 seconds to hit SUPP to get bios setup.
Contrary to SR2, where while Areca controller's checking, we had enough time to hit SUPP, on SRX, this doesn't work.
- We don't have post screen that enable us to know CPU frequency, CPU/GPU number...
Impossible to disable EVGA post logo or i haven't been able to find the option among the four available......
- No option concerning 2 mini SAS port.
- ES CPU still not managed. whereas EVGA X79 bios programmed in SRX EEPROM with mono CPU configuration => this works !
- Concerning BLK overclocking for a psychological o/c (lol) , it's totally impossible with numerous PCIE devices plugged in the motherboard.
- Voltages sensors completely suxxxx

*Same value mesured in bios, normal.

Plenty of compatibility problem, Bsod without any reason..... regularly encountered but making a list of them would be to long....

The two most serious issues made me very busy and are real pain is the ass.

II- PCIE slots
So for this part you gonna have to hang on, this is getting more complicated !
it's unfortunately necessary to explain everything to clarify things and better apprehend the choices/craps of the silly SRX architecture, 'cause it's not the 11 pages EVGA manual that will help us :D
I also could have hurl that :

like that, without any explanation and details.
But some of you would have understood what i meant.
So, sorry for the post's length, so hang on !

In my case, i want to be able to (for some personnal reasons) to use those 7 PCIE peripheral without any concession:
-Areca 1231ML (8X 1.0)
-Areca 1880IX (8X 2.0)
-Spliter PCIE actif (4X 1.0)
-Controleur  IB (8X 2.0)
- ATI 6990 (16X 2.0)
-ATI 6990 (16X 2.0)
-nvidia (470GTX)

To make it simple, Xeon owns 3 PCIE Slots (16x,16x,8x) managed by CPU's internal controler (IOH).
Those lines being physicaly splitted depending on the need, in order to get more physical slots ( with less PCIE line/slot, or to link the PCH, LAN chip, sound, SATA/SAS....)
Settings the screen shot thereafter are directly the IOH's available modifications .

In the Device Manager, can be found out, for each CPU, the existing physical PCIE slots with maximal preallocated PCIE lines per Physical PCIE slot.

Exemple 1:
You can notice that four lines have been setup to link CPU to PCH.

Exemple 2:
In his case, if the slot has 4 dedicated physical lines max. So the GTX470 is managed with 4x PCIE lines instead of 8x.
Logical but suxxxx
EVGA precices tha PCIE number 6 is a 4x physical one.

Now let's complicate things.
EVGA decided to use only one PLX chip .... the PEX8747 .
PDF: http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=plx%20pex8747%20.pdf&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plxtech.com%2Fdownload%2Ffile%2F1824&ei=vyHmT_eXGYK4hAfyt4XcCQ&usg=AFQjCNFOHxVdFGndo-UHaowiclyhaegsNg&cad=rja
This chip is simply excellent 'cause it has amazing functions, to be dicovered in the PDF.
*We finally have a public chip that allows active PCIE mux + other pretty nice options !
Let's focus on mux part.

How and with how many lines SRX has been wired:
*PCIE slots presentation under HWinfo 64 doesn't correspond to slots order (1 to 7) on the motherboard.
  As we noticed in the 1st example, 4 lines PCIE slot was used to make connexion between PCH (However, that doesn't represent a physical slot on the motherboard).  

PORT 1 (4x max): corresponds to the 1rst physical port directly linked to CPU's IOH :
it currently manages GTX470 graphic card (i willingly plugged it on this slot for miscellaneous reasons...)

PORT 2 (8x max):
On this slot is plugged an ARECA 1231ML rev2 thus 8x 1.0 hence the "current link speed: 2.5Gb/s"

Here too, nothing abnormal. PCIE still managed from IOH.

PORT 3 (8x max):
This slot is used by my active splitter PCIE 1x4X to 4x 1X
Once again, nothing abnormal. PCIE still managed from IOH.

PORT 4 (16x max):
We finally focus on 16x CPU slot that is in this case used by the famous PLX chip that allows to get 4 physical PCIE slot ( so 8X/slot, see motherboard layout in the PDF), from one PCIE 16x from CPU.
Consequently, the four last PCIE slot of the motherboard (4,5,6,7) all stem from PLX chip.

That give us real pain in this ass is the case of graphic card or other device is plugged on it:
  mainly because of: generated latencies, Bandwidth bottleneck, PCIE peripheral allocation by both CPUs, PCIE lines limitation.....  

Because of that, numerous issues appear:

Areca 1880IX is really mismanaged concerning PCIE lines.
When it's plugged in 8X PCIE (managed by IOH), it appears to be detected as 2X PCIE !! ( yeah so crappy...)

whether 4X in best case, whatever the used PCIE slot !
On one of the PLX managed  PCIE, it stays @4x too(2.0 too) we gonna have to settle for that.
I've never been able to get 8X speed.
Damn it ! EVGA, we really need a fix for that !!!!

So 6990 are managed in 8X 2.0 wether 16X 1.0 !!!

So pitiful for 2 GPUs Graphic Cards.
For IB controler (contrary to SR2, this time it uses 2.0 bandwidth) :)

citation:
So real PCIE distribution ( and this time, physical placement order on the motherboard, and from north to south) gives us:

According to EVGA:

Slot1 : 16X/8X
Slot2 : 8X
Slot3 : 16X/8X
Slot4: 8X
Slot5: 16X/8X
Slot6: 4X
Slot7: 8X

And according to me:

Slot1 : (direct IOH CPU1) 8X 
Slot2 : (direct IOH CPU1) 8X 
Slot3 :     (direct PLX) 16X* /8X 
Slot4:       (direct PLX) 8X 
Slot5:       (direct PLX) 16X*/8X 
Slot6: (direct IOH CPU1) 4X 
Slot7:       (direct PLX) 8X 
*: Only if 2 slots on 4 managed by PLX chip are used.

You can notice that: checking order @boot seems to be inverted like on SR2 ( from 7 to 1), due to the fact that PCIE slots managed by PLX chip are not all juxtaposed. This makes this order complicated.
And this time, no bios option to invert PCIE checking order.
You can also notice that: Lines allocation bios options, are almost useless 'cause all PCIE are 8X limited. The only exception is when two 16X PCIE devices are plugged in 2 PCIE of the 4 managed by PLX. They will run @ full speed (16X 2.0). (to be confirmed, haven't tested myself).
  But PLX chip will automatically define speed PCIE slot speed depending on the plugged device. So BIOS lines options are useless too).  
Hmmmm wait wait wait, we only have PCIE lines from one CPU as you can notice !
Yep !

That is the problem !
2nd CPU's lines aren't used: such a shame !

Let's notice that half of ther PCIE lines options are completely useless.  

The question is:

Why EVGA haven't followed the others like Asus and haven't used ALL PCIE lines from two CPUs in order to manage 6 or 7 PCIE ???

They could have use 2 chips (1 by CPU).
Or simply dedicate direct IOH PCIE slots to CPU 2 that would have been able to manage them with 16X and 8X speed.
Asus and Supermicro are clearer concerning this point:

Using PLX chip is a pretty nice idea for mono CPU, allowing to get more PCIE(7) and intercom functions Graphic Cards VIA PLX chip....
But on 2 CPU motherboards, using all these PCIE lines.... so crappy.

Why these technical choices ???  
  Easiest way to get shorter development time or simply reducing costs ?  
I would be pleased to get EVGA's explanations about that it would be welcome!
  To conclude, this motherboard looks like EVGA X79 Classified where another socket would have been added to be able to manage one more CPU....  
That would explain BIOS compatibility between this motherboard and the SRX.

III - RAM Management
Good fortune or not, 16GB sticks are fully functionals on this motherboard.
And 196GB are managed.
@1600 MHz it doesn't work correctly.
                               BUT
Bandwitdth really sucks !!!
I think there is something wrong with NUMA management and others 'cause here's the results :

For your information, on Z8PE D18 board (with 147GB tri-chanel DDR3@1066), 100Gb ramdisk took 5 seconds to be created.
On SR2, it took more time even for only 10Gb ramdisk.
But on SRX it takes a little more time :D
Does CPU2 address is own RAM ?
Like absolutely NO memory management options ( mirroring, single, sparing, interleave...) are available in BIOS, i have a real lack of informations concerning the origin of the  problem.
150GB ramdisk creation attempt.
Begining...

10 minutes later, only about 20GB have been addressed.

That gives us about 100-150 MB/s. Sooooooooo performing for RAM ! :D

Usefull information:

* I insist about this point: There is no fully reliable RAM bench software.  
Most of time very dependent of CPU o/c, CPU cache memory, bad NUMA management, I/O tests variability....
So it canot be directly workable, and i put AIDA64 cache test just for your information.
ECC seems to be not functional too, and no bios option to activate it.....
Test @1600MHz OK. But manay BSOD/auto reboot under windows especially when bandwidth hungry applications are running .

Must be due to a little lack of VDimm.

Another issue due to that:
During max compression, 180Gb RAM are required. except that computations don't wait that dictionnaries be completely loaded into memory to start.
Result:
  Dictionaries transfer to cache memory is so long, that calculation is done before caching ends.  

Maybe this bad memory management comes from Windows. Yeah yeah, drivers, softs.... are up to date. I prefer mention it before any genious guy makes such magical proposal.
Still testing this but without any RAM option, quickly out of solution.
Something weard, RAM @1600MHz crash under windows during compression or other taks.
=> not stable,  surely 'cause VDimm not manageable, Vdrop.....
By using multimeter, i measure 1.35V VDimm so that Bios says 1.4V.
Same for 12V : BIOS 10.7V, and multimeter : 11.87V.

By getting this SRX, i hoped better RAM management , and faster PCIE  thanks to Direct  CPU to peripheral link. I'm sooooooooo disappointed.
Add to this, the impossibility to o/c XEON, the change doesn't worth it  in my case !
Without any reason, after bios setup modification, randomly, i gonna loose PCIE periph, most of time both 6990 !
Complete shutdown after bios setup changes fix the issue. But that's not really practical.

Several good points to avoid negative ending :
   -S3 mode functional even if too few annex options. ( while i'm pissed off ARECA still doesn't manage it) i'm working on it with ARECA to try to find out a fix.  
- Jumper replacement (SR2), by dipswitch concerning PCIE/Ram slots (de)activation.
- Ram slot dipswitch even if ther are 8 instead of 12.
- Still 3 BIOS with switch

To put it in a nutshell, For all those major bugs and others bull is what I say!

Jacob make a REAL BIOS 

EVGA X79 BIOS flashed in SRX EEPROM, allows many other options comparated to SRX BIOS, What the heck !!!!???  
Don't wanna wait 7 months another time for these majors get fixed.

-Find a solution to get good Areca 1880/82 management.
  - Give us explanations about this  PCIE architecture.  
And more ...

Thanks for reading :)

post edited by mosie - 2012/07/14 16:15:43

36 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102436
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/04 10:24:50 (permalink)
    Just a warning that some of the language you have used as well as the graphics are not allowed in our forum so I have removed those parts out of your post. Please do not repeat this behavior.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

mosie
    Superclocked Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/04 10:53:12 (permalink)
    okok ...

But, you have removed other little things ;)

anyway  ...
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102436
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/04 12:17:24 (permalink)
    I have removed the items which are not allowed on the EVGA forum; edited some words and corrected others.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

fugatron78
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/04 15:36:52 (permalink)
    hmmm, interesant..... want buy SR-2 or better SR-X, but need a LOT of RAM, something with 24 or 32 RAM slots..... but if Chipzilla will not announce the black Xeons will stay better away.. Mosie, thanx for so deep explanation of problem areas. need system for digitalisation of cultural heritage stuff for next 3 years, an we need a stable platform for 24/7 work and not a problematic system. Probably will put together SR-2 and another with 4 socket boar dfrom Intel...... 
    razorbackzz
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/05 06:38:35 (permalink)
    pretty good review in my opinion expected alot for this board considering the amount you have to pay. and lol to the language use and the edits on the post, but really who honestly get offended these days with that? there is so much worse things out there than some bad text words.

but i do understand completly for your reasons for getting upset.

geort45
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/05 07:49:32 (permalink)

fugatron78 

hmmm, interesant..... want buy SR-2 or better SR-X, but need a LOT of RAM, something with 24 or 32 RAM slots..... but if Chipzilla will not announce the black Xeons will stay better away.. Mosie, thanx for so deep explanation of problem areas. need system for digitalisation of cultural heritage stuff for next 3 years, an we need a stable platform for 24/7 work and not a problematic system. Probably will put together SR-2 and another with 4 socket boar dfrom Intel...... 

24-32 ram slots? I haven't seen those unless they use risers or quad sockets hmmmm
    cakos123
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 05:28:49 (permalink)
    I appreciate the efforts that Mosie has put into sharing with us. And also that EVGA allow heavy criticism on this forum.

| SysName | Mobo | Xeon's | Mem | GPU | Case | Cool | PSU | HD's | OS
    1) Bonaparte: EVGA SR-2, 5650, 6 x 4GB G.Skill RipSaw, MSI N580GTX, Lian Li V2120A, Noctua NH-D14, Be Quiet! 1200W, SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB + HD WD RE4 500GB, Win7 64 Ultimate
    2) Brutus: EVGA SR-2, 5650, 6 X 4GB ECC Kingston, MSI N560GTX, Lian Li V2120A, Noctua NH-D14, Be Quiet! 1200W, HD WD RE4 500GB, MSI n560GTX-TI, Win7 64 Ultimate
    3) Bucephalus: SuperMicro XDAL-I-O, 5620, 6 x 4GB ECC Kingston, Gigabyte 5870, Lian Li V2120A, Corsair H60, Be Quiet! 900W, WD RE4 500GB + WD RE4 2T RAID1, Win7 64 Ultimate
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 06:22:07 (permalink)
    Electrical Engineering background? 
    scsi2man
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 13:20:18 (permalink)
    I think the worst part of the review is the grammar and spelling. It is horrible. Perhaps before reviewing equipment of this caliber it would be wise to know how to type and spell as well as use proper grammar so that people can understand what it is you are saying. That seems to be the problem with the people today: they are not taught in school how to speak or type and as a result, sound like rambling idiots similar to the author of this post. In my eyes, your credibility is based not only by your knowledge but also in your ability to communicate that knowledge to others. When you can't even do that, you don't have much credibility. 

Realizing though how much of a disaster the SR-X has become, I know that I won't be upgrading from my SR-2 anytime soon. It's as if it was created and then at the last minute the company said not to bother as the cpu's can't be overclocked. I don't expect motherboards to be perfect, but the locations of some of the components on the board leave many questions to be asked. 

1.) Why 12 slots and not 8 or 16? 
    2.) Why was the reset button and battery for the board placed underneath the large heat sink to the right of the slots? I do realize there is a reset button on the back of the board, but placing the battery underneath that huge heat sink creates a major inconvenience for someone that wants to swap out batteries. 
    3.) Why is it necessary to have 3 6 pin connectors in addition to the 8 and 24 pin? Asus seems to be able to get by with the 2 8 pins, 24 pin, and one molex connector. 

Overall I am very disappointed with this board. I have a friend that has one and I assisted him in setting him up. It feels like this board is not a finished product. Anyone else agree?

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS, 128GB Samsung DDR3 1600 ECC REG, 2 Geforce GTX 780 ti's in SLI, Areca 1882ix-24-4G, 6 Samsung 840 pro 256GB in raid 0, 12 WD RE4 2TB in raid 6, 14 Hitachi Ultrastar 4TB in raid 6, Enermax MAXRevo 1500 watt, Enermax MAXRevo 1350 watt, Dell U3011 30" display, Lian Li D8000 case
    wolf616
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 14:21:23 (permalink)
    I think I could not agree more EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! scsi2man ur are right it feels this motherboard has been rush.

I suggest to get a asus motherboard it's stable and lots of option I have this motherboard sr-x sold it!

or better yet SR-2 still the best motherboard I thank you for all this info. It clears everything. which one to buy good this I hold off on the upgrade I have all the memory, GPU, etc, except motherboard and cpu.
    wolf616
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 14:24:23 (permalink)
    hey does anybody know it mite sound stupid on the xeon there is a hole on top of the cpu? (may be for heat)

what happened if the hole get's fill with a thermal paste compound? anybody....

again sr2 still shine!!
    Dalamar1
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 15:28:40 (permalink)
    For myself, I have decided to either build another SR-2 for Folding or build a 4 CPU machine with AMD CPUs in it. The cost of a SR-X is just too high for too little performance. Lots of technical details don't affect me. Cost and performance do, as well as ease of overclocking, of which the SR-X isn't capable.
    safan80
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 322
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 19:48:24 (permalink)
    I purchased an asus z9pe-d8 WS myself. The sr-x was not even out yet. Now I need Nateman to do a north bridge block for it!
    scsi2man
    Superclocked Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 19:55:07 (permalink)
    I think if I were to upgrade I would go with the Asus board, because I feel the EVGA one is not yet finished and has too many issues. EVGA, are you planning to do something about this? Perhaps going back to the drawing board? 

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS, 128GB Samsung DDR3 1600 ECC REG, 2 Geforce GTX 780 ti's in SLI, Areca 1882ix-24-4G, 6 Samsung 840 pro 256GB in raid 0, 12 WD RE4 2TB in raid 6, 14 Hitachi Ultrastar 4TB in raid 6, Enermax MAXRevo 1500 watt, Enermax MAXRevo 1350 watt, Dell U3011 30" display, Lian Li D8000 case
    bigbrag
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1370
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 23:01:54 (permalink)
    My budget sr-2 is coming along nicely. I'm pretty happy that the sr-x sucks lol. I'm just now getting to enjoy the sr-2 with affordable 6 cores, and with an overclock I can probably match anything the sr-x has to offer.
    Gratuitous
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1109
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/06 23:14:54 (permalink)
    wolf616

hey does anybody know it mite sound stupid on the xeon there is a hole on top of the cpu? (may be for heat)

what happened if the hole get's fill with a thermal paste compound? anybody....

again sr2 still shine!!

its because you probably got one that came out of a mac (some dont use an ihs) the retail xeons dont have 'holes' unless I didnt understand what your talking about. pic please?:)

“I built a castle in the swamp and it sunk. I built a second castle and it sunk too. I built a third castle and it burned down and then sunk. But the fourth castle, Ahhhh! That one stood.”
    —Monty Python and the Holy Grail

futuremark2
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 204
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/08 23:20:59 (permalink)
    so the whole article states the SRX isn't the best motherboard plantform in the world for maximum fps gaming in an overclocked state of potential?

scsi2man
    Superclocked Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/09 00:14:20 (permalink)
    futuremark2

so the whole article states the SRX isn't the best motherboard plantform in the world for maximum fps gaming in an overclocked state of potential?

Not so much for gaming or max fps, but rather that the board itself in terms of functionality. Most people don't buy these kinds of boards just to play games, but rather for other purposes as well. I admit that I do play games sometimes on my SR-2, but that is not its main purpose. I think the author of this whole post has pointed out a lot of the flaws and problems that this board has, as it does not seem to be a finished product.  From what I've read about the Asus Z9PE-D8-WS, it seems to be not only faster, but more reliable. It's also a lot smaller than this board. I think EVGA needs to go back and redo this board. I also think that because Intel chose not to make the new Xeons overclockable, that also detracts from the value of this board and what you can do with it... especially since the Asus one can do the same things... smaller and cheaper. 

fugatron78
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/10 03:56:05 (permalink)
    Yes, 24 RAM socket, 2CPUs and 4 PCI-E16x and for price around 450 EUR....... but im thinking on the 4 CPUs socket and 7 PCI-E solution, but few weeks need to wait for the price...... if wnat send me PM with email and will send link.... 
    MvdL79
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/11 01:16:15 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    I have removed the items which are not allowed on the EVGA forum; edited some words and corrected others.

LMAO.... :D

EVGA is really going downhill nowadays.

EVGA = THE NEW ABIT = EOL!

I doubt EVGA will have a future regarding motherboards and support. The X58 was already a disaster with the BIOS updates; the "experienced" EVGA staff said it would be "completely impossible" to add a new Intel ROM to the BIOS, however after Denjahn (or whatever his name was) proved them otherwise, they decided to update the BIOS with a newer Intel ROM. This only took several months.

And guess what? The X58 is still borked! I own my E762 motherboard for over a year now and I still have the USB port problems! Every now and then I have to unplug my Steelseries Ikari (Laser Mouse), because it won't get powered / or is working. This issue is only happening since DAY ONE! And still hasn't been fixed. Sheesh. And before people start pointing the finger to the mouse, it's not the mouse, I have the same mouse (Steelseries Ikari Laser Mouse) for my work computer, which is an Asus Sabertooth 990FX AMD-based system. And guess what... Never had a single problem with USB in combination with this mouse or any other peripheral, on any USB port.

I expected EVGA to have sorted out the USB problems with the X58 by now, however it seems they do not care at all. They even didn't provide me with a solution or workaround. The only workaround, which I discovered myself, is pulling the USB cable and plug it back in. Very funny, after spending over 400 Euro on a motherboard back in the day.

Recently I purchased 2x EVGA 670 SC videocards... And guess, what... Also problems (see other threads for reference). After a long wait (and many mistakes at EVGA) they finally got replaced, after I contacted Andrew Han (EVGA President and CEO), with 2x EVGA 670 FTW cards. It seems staff is getting more lazy by the day at EVGA. Also customers do not count anymore nowadays at EVGA. It's all about making money. It really reminds me of Abit; great overclocking, great products and great support.... At least in the beginning, than everything went downhill and finally went bankrupt. I can see EVGA going this route as well.

Due to all the problems I have had with EVGA, EVGA's products and EVGA's staff, I doubt I will purchase new products from them. Competitors seem to have become better, while EVGA stood still.

For my next build; I will not be buying a motherboard carrying the EVGA brand. For my choice of videocards, if I do decide to sell the 670 FTW's, I also doubt it will be EVGA.

All in all; the brand EVGA doesn't carry much value anymore in my bood. Back in the day of nForce 680 motherboards and stuff, EVGA was king, nowdays EVGA is just a pawn for the commercial bandwagon. Very, very disappointing.

uartin
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 217
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/11 04:50:55 (permalink)
    scsi2man

I think the worst part of the review is the grammar and spelling. It is horrible. Perhaps before reviewing equipment of this caliber it would be wise to know how to type and spell as well as use proper grammar so that people can understand what it is you are saying. That seems to be the problem with the people today: they are not taught in school how to speak or type and as a result, sound like rambling idiots similar to the author of this post. In my eyes, your credibility is based not only by your knowledge but also in your ability to communicate that knowledge to others. When you can't even do that, you don't have much credibility. 

Realizing though how much of a disaster the SR-X has become, I know that I won't be upgrading from my SR-2 anytime soon. It's as if it was created and then at the last minute the company said not to bother as the cpu's can't be overclocked. I don't expect motherboards to be perfect, but the locations of some of the components on the board leave many questions to be asked. 

1.) Why 12 slots and not 8 or 16? 
    2.) Why was the reset button and battery for the board placed underneath the large heat sink to the right of the slots? I do realize there is a reset button on the back of the board, but placing the battery underneath that huge heat sink creates a major inconvenience for someone that wants to swap out batteries. 
    3.) Why is it necessary to have 3 6 pin connectors in addition to the 8 and 24 pin? Asus seems to be able to get by with the 2 8 pins, 24 pin, and one molex connector. 

Overall I am very disappointed with this board. I have a friend that has one and I assisted him in setting him up. It feels like this board is not a finished product. Anyone else agree?

He is French ! this is why he makes so many grammar mistakes!
    Nevertheless he made a good work pointing at the troubles that this motherboard has.
    the first part of your message maybe is a tad too aggressive with that "rambling idiots" part.

MvdL79
    SSC Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/11 04:57:34 (permalink)
    uartin
    He is French ! this is why he makes so many grammar mistakes!
    Nevertheless he made a good work pointing at the troubles that this motherboard has.
    the first part of your message maybe is a tad too aggressive with that "rambling idiots" part.

+1
    mosie
    Superclocked Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/12 14:07:37 (permalink)
    Yep if you what read my original post: http://smpfr.mesdiscussio...-fail-sujet_1524_1.htm

A friend have make the trad. Thanks to him :)

EVGA:

We wait an official explanation than all negative point I ahve found. PCIE, chaotic bios, incompatibility  ...

I think we can wait long time for this but ....  I hope always .
    MvdL79
    SSC Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/12 23:47:37 (permalink)
    mosie
    EVGA:

We wait an official explanation than all negative point I ahve found. PCIE, chaotic bios, incompatibility  ...

I think we can wait long time for this but ....  I hope always .

EVGA doesn't care anymore about their *loyal* customers. That's a fact. The only thing they care about is about editing postings (see first post).

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18944
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/13 04:06:37 (permalink)

Constructive criticism is great, thanks Mosie! (although I wont pretend to know what you're talking about a lot of the time - I am no electrical engineering expert lol).

post edited by Tweaked - 2012/07/13 06:10:38

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/13 06:13:19 (permalink)
    Guys,  I have had to clean up this thread.  Please keep all posts on topic rather than on attacking other members grammar, spelling, or opinions.  Next time warnings will be given.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    coolmiester
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 156
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/13 06:20:43 (permalink)
    Obviously a lot of work went into the initial post but if i’m honest, most of it went over my head and other than the few early BIOS issues i encountered, which undoubtedly were frustrating, all seems to be working well for me now so all good here

MvdL79
    SSC Member
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/13 07:03:04 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    Guys,  I have had to clean up this thread.  Please keep all posts on topic rather than on attacking other members grammar, spelling, or opinions.  Next time warnings will be given.

Just a word of advice; maybe it's better to spend the time EVGA personal has on * real * problems, instead of 'wasting' their time on cleaning a forum and editing posts. I think that's more important, at least, if you really do value your customers.

Just my 2 cents. Probably gets thrown on the big pile as well. Oh well... Actually I do not care that much anymore, I decided to use a different brand motherboard anyways for my next build, seeing the fair amount of problems EVGA had with their motherboards (X58 and SR-X models) and videocards (SuperClocked 670 model).
    Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re:!!! EVGA SR X, the EPIC FAIL !!! 2012/07/13 08:40:48 (permalink)
    MvdL79

Tweaked

Just a word of advice; maybe it's better to spend the time EVGA personal has on * real * problems, instead of 'wasting' their time on cleaning a forum and editing posts. I think that's more important, at least, if you really do value your customers.

Just my 2 cents. Probably gets thrown on the big pile as well. Oh well... Actually I do not care that much anymore, I decided to use a different brand motherboard anyways for my next build, seeing the fair amount of problems EVGA had with their motherboards (X58 and SR-X models) and videocards (SuperClocked 670 model).

First of all, I am not an EVGA employee.  Most mods are volunteers.  Second, my "Job" here on the EVGA forums is to make sure that the EVGA TOS are followed so that EVGA "Personnel" can devote their attentions to the more technical issues.  Third, I only edit posts that either contain inappropriate language for these forums, contain some kind of personal attack, or derail the topic of a thread.  Keeping these forums a friendly environment for all people is of utmost importance, however neither the mods or EVGA staff is out to censor posts that defame EVGA.  We welcome the opportunity to prove our level of customer service by satisfying those who have complaints.  So long as posts are courteous and respectful they will remain even if they somehow are negative toward EVGA.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile