EVGA

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Author
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 09:25:30 (permalink)
panzlock
HeavyHemi
What? You just replied with a reprise of your opinions and conjecture on motivations. Basically your post is list of your IMPRESSIONS and EMOTIONAL reactions. That isn't a "novelty". You're trying to dismiss the entire point with that argument. I'm sorry, I'm not in the business of validating your conjecture nor arguing your opinions. You're certainly entitled to your opinions. You seem to be dangerously close to asserting you're in possession of facts and any contrary view is wrong. You're basically asking me to waste time speculating on why EVGA took this route. Meh...I just can't get that worked up. Some do.

Opinions? Did you not read anything that was happening regarding the VRM/heating isues? Or are you suggesting that I'm making up what Guru3D, numerous consumers wrote, what numerous consumers experienced, etc... Did EVGA not react to these issues by actively providing remedies to 1070/1080 owners? Is this another one of my "opinions"??? Again, what purpose can the iCX slogan serve but to reinvigorate confidence in EVGA's existing and potential customers following ACX 3.0 analysis?

So far you have validated nothing. You refuse to validate what I'm saying, and can't validate what you're saying. You have literally provided nothing but conjecture yourself. Nothing of value except attempting to disprove someone else's points with suggestions that they are opinionated. This is your argument. FACT.

Just to reiterate, my position is based on Guru3D's testing of the merchandise under discussion, namely EVGA ACX 3.0 branded cards. This happened. Same brand card owners speaking of failures some labeled as catastrophic, others as inconvenient but related to the same issue. This happened. EVGA providing rudimentary slutions to these problems in the form of an aggressive fan curve BIOS update and thermal pads. This happened.  Do you need a link provided for every single article?

Now, this conversation has veered away from my point a bit, which was that EVGA's latest cooling evolution has put them in a quandary at the expense of the affixed slogan which makes them appear guilty, as it were. Nowhere did I insinuate that they are, but that this is the way it appears. If you can't agree with that it's because you are blatantly ignoring the connotation......with your opinion.

I think what EVGA may be trying to convey with that slogan is this: EVGA was founded on and catered to enthusiasts. Most of us, especially years ago, as soon as we get our gcards we take them apart and set them up "properly" and they know that and are ok with it. That's pretty amazing in and of itself! We all use gaming/idle/load gcard profiles setup on enthusiast software which most likely your novice may not even know of. After the last "incident" took off like it did, because the net is great for making mountains out of mole hills, I think it made them look more carefully at there now much larger, more diversified audience and realize that they need to maybe make something that is a little more buttoned up, foolproof and not susceptible to uninformed human error/accident/excitability. They are pretty much telling there more novice customers that we addressed your concerns, have prototyped the cards to reflect that and want to work with you and calm your fears. For a company on there level to listen and react positively with there product for there community is pretty darn amazing. Try to get MSI, ASUS, ASROCK, Biostar etc.... to do anything remotely similar and youll be waiting a long time, if ever to see it. EVGA are well liked by the enthusiast community for a reason and they didn't get there overnight. Believe me, if EVGA did something malicious and wrong id be the first one to organize the lynching, but in this case I didn't see any component, when measured properly, running out of spec even in the worst torture tests. A few caps blew?!?! So what! That's been happening since gcards were first made. It happens. If anything EVGA may need to look at the contracted manufacturing companys plant for component quality control maybe, but really were not seeing any numbers that are all that remarkable and they use high quality components where ever they are needed on the crucial parts of the pcb's at the very least. They def do not appear guilty.... they appear, once again, to be listening and reacting to please a portion of the community. We all benefit from that and its not a bad thing. They did the same thing for the Kingpin cards and the ASIC ratings and they will continue to do it to please there customers, although you certainly cannot please them ALL unfortunately. EVGA will continue to evolve, just like every other tech company, and your product will be left behind much sooner then you think. Its the law of the tech jungle and if you stay you must get used to that.   

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1795
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 09:31:41 (permalink)
ZeroBANG
i have a additional question:  
according to "TechPower Up" (article)   
"It" [EVGA] "plans to replace the current SC, FTW, and possibly Classified series graphics cards from its product stack, with these new cards."  

and:  
"Apparently, the company has redesigned the PCBs of its top-tier GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 cards from the ground up"  

So, if i keep my GTX1080 FTW, and IF there is not going to be a step up program to replace it (one that is NOT limited by some 3 month after purchase technicality that would screw me over instantly)... will i be able to buy a GTX 1080 FTW 2 in a year or two and operate these 2 "entirely different cards" in SLI ?  

Because if the 1080 FTW is discontinued (as the article states) and i can't buy it anymore in a Shop, then that isn't only eating away from the resale value, but also effectively kills the upgrade path via SLI within the next few months?  
...or not?  

If EVGA would not call this a "2" then that would be less of an issue for me.  
Call it 1080 FTW iCX Edition or whatever. "2" means the "(1)" is outdated / had issues and when i want to sell it in a year or two then everyone will want the version 2.  
It is also bad marketing on EVGA's part, because it just brings back the by now almost forgotten Thermal Pad discussion and any new customer will ask "why is there a 2 on this? was there something wrong with version 1?" and a short google later they will also be informed of the issues and maybe even shy away from a purchase in fear of further problems... and if they find a ton of angry customers of the old card who got left behind that will just cement their decision to not go with EVGA.  
Call it something else, silently phase out the ACX 3.0 and RMA any (actually defective) ACX 3.0 with the iCX version and be done with it, just don't call it "2"... that is just rubbing me in all the wrong ways.  

...also my GPU heatsink does indeed sag away from the PCB, the PCB is sitting 100% straight in the slot but the 1080FTW RGB LED logo and the heatsink are sagging away ever so slightly... it looks odd on pictures and technically it increases the gap between PCB and Heatsink which means the supplied thermal pads are possibly still having a gap (look at the last 3 pictures of my Ghetto Pad Mod...).  

Short answer, yes you will be able to SLI 2 cards as long as they have the same chip (1080). However, the 2 cards obviously will look different, if aesthetics is important to you. I have 2 FTW and I can agree the coolers do sag away from the PCB, but that is what we are dealt with and I decided to buy, so I won't complain too much. I did think about switching to a Cooler Master HAF-XB case so they will sit upright and not sag due to gravity. Something for you to consider.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 09:32:31 (permalink)
wmmills
I think what EVGA may be trying to convey with that slogan is this: EVGA was founded on and catered to enthusiasts. Most of us, especially years ago, as soon as we get our gcards we take them apart and set them up "properly" and they know that and are ok with it. That's pretty amazing in and of itself! We all use gaming/idle/load gcard profiles setup on enthusiast software which most likely your novice may not even know of. After the last "incident" took off like it did, because the net is great for making mountains out of mole hills, I think it made them look more carefully at there now much larger, more diversified audience and realize that they need to maybe make something that is a little more buttoned up, foolproof and not susceptible to uninformed human error/accident/excitability. They are pretty much telling there more novice customers that we addressed your concerns, have prototyped the cards to reflect that and want to work with you and calm your fears. For a company on there level to listen and react positively with there product for there community is pretty darn amazing. Try to get MSI, ASUS, ASROCK, Biostar etc.... to do anything remotely similar and youll be waiting a long time, if ever to see it. EVGA are well liked by the enthusiast community for a reason and they didn't get there overnight. Believe me, if EVGA did something malicious and wrong id be the first one to organize the lynching, but in this case I didn't see any component, when measured properly, running out of spec even in the worst torture tests. A few caps blew?!?! So what! That's been happening since gcards were first made. It happens. If anything EVGA may need to look at the contracted manufacturing companys plant for component quality control maybe, but really were not seeing any numbers that are all that remarkable and they use high quality components where ever they are needed on the crucial parts of the pcb's at the very least. They def do not appear guilty.... they appear, once again, to be listening and reacting to please a portion of the community. We all benefit from that and its not a bad thing. They did the same thing for the Kingpin cards and the ASIC ratings and they will continue to do it to please there customers, although you certainly cannot please them ALL unfortunately. EVGA will continue to evolve, just like every other tech company, and your product will be left behind much sooner then you think. Its the law of the tech jungle and if you stay you must get used to that.   

Very well said.
gelectrode
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 10:32:25 (permalink)
I still dont get the name, Why not just ICX FTW or FTW+ like that did before. Calling it the FTW 2 just makes the normal FTW look really bad considering everything that happened even if it was a small % of early released cards. From what i can tell they couldnt call it acx 4.0 since the cooler looks to be same design, same fans with slight mods for the VRAM. Either way this feels like a ftw+ redesign with marketing to help it sell better. It just sucks older card buyers will have to deal with the after math when trying to sell there card which MAY not be that big of deal 1-2 years down the road.

With that said the new stronger PCB/Back plate design sounds really cool. No more sagging video cards from evga? Could be a thing, that would be awesome.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 10:57:37 (permalink)
gelectrode
I still dont get the name, Why not just ICX FTW or FTW+ like that did before. Calling it the FTW 2 just makes the normal FTW look really bad considering everything that happened even if it was a small % of early released cards. From what i can tell they couldnt call it acx 4.0 since the cooler looks to be same design, same fans with slight mods for the VRAM. Either way this feels like a ftw+ redesign with marketing to help it sell better. It just sucks older card buyers will have to deal with the after math when trying to sell there card which MAY not be that big of deal 1-2 years down the road.

With that said the new stronger PCB/Back plate design sounds really cool. No more sagging video cards from evga? Could be a thing, that would be awesome.

The published article from gamer nexus said pcb changes on the displayed cards , so it is a different pcb and cooler, not just a different cooler. Changing just icx would signify a cooler change only. That was the reason behind the 970 ftw and the 970ftw+. The ftw+ had a different pcb.

Unfortunately, past that, there are no available answers.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31048
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 12:09:08 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
wmmills

Very well said.

+1

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8341
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 13:00:47 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
wmmills

Very well said.

+1 on all this.  Plus...remember, that even though the ACX is changing to ICX...doesn't mean capacitors won't blow.  As Gamersnexus reported...the issue with the 1080 FTW wasn't the cooler, it was faulty capacitors.  I have had one card blow on me...years ago...an ATI 9800.  Plugged it in first day...turned on my computer...heard a loud crackle noise...and smelled the most awful smell imaginable.  Sending the card back to ATI for RMA was a real treat, at the time.  Everything had to clear customs into Canada...and then wait for everything to clear returning.  I was out a card for over a month.  EVGA is a pure delight and has been for a long time for me.  They have always been fair and timely as well.  As wmmills said...if EVGA was trying to cover up...many of us would speak out.  I think it is the factory in China who deserves scrutiny for using faulty parts in new cards.  There is no way to know until things happen.

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 CL30 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i LCD 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; Corsair K70 RGB Pro MX Speed Silver Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Salem13
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 13:14:48 (permalink)
bobmitch
Scarlet-Tech
wmmills

Very well said.

+1 on all this.  Plus...remember, that even though the ACX is changing to ICX...doesn't mean capacitors won't blow.  As Gamersnexus reported...the issue with the 1080 FTW wasn't the cooler, it was faulty capacitors.  I have had one card blow on me...years ago...an ATI 9800.  Plugged it in first day...turned on my computer...heard a loud crackle noise...and smelled the most awful smell imaginable.  Sending the card back to ATI for RMA was a real treat, at the time.  Everything had to clear customs into Canada...and then wait for everything to clear returning.  I was out a card for over a month.  EVGA is a pure delight and has been for a long time for me.  They have always been fair and timely as well.  As wmmills said...if EVGA was trying to cover up...many of us would speak out.  I think it is the factory in China who deserves scrutiny for using faulty parts in new cards.  There is no way to know until things happen.

Funny thing, my one card to pop, an ATI 9800 Pro.

Circuit City was still in business at the time and had them in stock so I did a self exchange. :P

As for the sub factory in China, I heard somewhere that this was the first series to by subbed out to mainly Chinese plants, in the past it was Taiwan?
Tzeh-Pesh
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 14:44:33 (permalink)
bobmitch
Plus...remember, that even though the ACX is changing to ICX...doesn't mean capacitors won't blow.  As Gamersnexus reported...the issue with the 1080 FTW wasn't the cooler, it was faulty capacitors. 

Don't mean to be facetious, am genuinely curious... was there ever anything on whether performance or reliability of capacitors is impacted by temperature? Given the positioning of some of the ones that blew perhaps leading to people thinking it was the VRM in the first place, if you have a bad batch of capacitors can't imagine having them near components transferring high temperatures to the board helping?
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 14:52:25 (permalink)
Tzeh-Pesh
bobmitch
Plus...remember, that even though the ACX is changing to ICX...doesn't mean capacitors won't blow.  As Gamersnexus reported...the issue with the 1080 FTW wasn't the cooler, it was faulty capacitors. 

Don't mean to be facetious, am genuinely curious... was there ever anything on whether performance or reliability of capacitors is impacted by temperature? Given the positioning of some of the ones that blew perhaps leading to people thinking it was the VRM in the first place, if you have a bad batch of capacitors can't imagine having them near components transferring high temperatures to the board helping?

All electronics are impacted by temperatures.  However, without doing a forensic failure analysis, we could only speculate. But, higher temps in a suspect part, could lead to a higher failure rate.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

NucleusX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 00:01:32 (permalink)

CPU:  Intel 486 DX2. 66Mhz (Turbo). Cooling: LN2.
MTB: ECS. Chipset: SIS. HD: WD Raptor 300mb x 512. 154GB. Raid 0.
RAM: Corsair Obliterator Gold. EDO. 16mb. 66mhz. x8.
GPU:  Nvidia GTX Riva TNT2 FTW OC. PCI. 32mb. x4 Quad SLI.
PSU:  ATX 200 watt (no label). Case: RGB Milk Crate.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 00:42:58 (permalink)
NucleusX
http://www.tomshardware.c...cooling-icx,33387.html

Bah...the article is promoting the same theory that the new cooler design is in direct response to the recent issues. That defies typical design cycle time.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

AvonRepus
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 01:54:07 (permalink)
It seems that members are polarized regarding this topic, and I have to say that no one is right.
As it usually is, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

When I first read about potential hazard from my 1070 FTW, I took off the backplate, measured the temps with laser gun on the back of the card at the places of VRMs and VRAM during heavy load and concluded that I can use the card safely and with peace of mind. The backplate was taken off the card (so it wont trap hot air) until the thermal pads arrived. I felt sorry for EVGA that whole time, cause I never bought a theory of overheating, faulty products do happen and it's not an indicator of crappy vendor.  When thermal pads arrived I've taken the card apart and noticed that original pads on baseplate had no contact with VRAM at all. I was not pleased with that but since I already completed the Doom on heavy OC without artifacts I said what the hell. After assembly I saw that fins of heatsink are sagging and are not in complete contact with new thermal pad on baseplate and chokes. All that was ugly but since I measured really nice temps on the backplate and read the conclusion on this matter on GamersNexus, I wasn't worried at all. Until now...

From the marketing point of view this move was inevitable, but... Some of you said that it's normal for highly regarded company to improve it's products and that this is just result of EVGAs enthusiasm, etc., etc. Let's cut the BS gentlemen and admit that this products would never see the daylight if it wasn't the thermal pads fiasco. As I said, improved cards were inevitable because meeting sales target depends on image of brand and product, and both was shaken. Now we came to "the problem" - catastrophic PR stunt with that slogan (trust me on this one).

Target domain of customers can be divided in two basic groups: base of loyal enthusiasts and new fishes in the pond.
Loyal users and early adopters are obviously not the most important for EVGA at this moment, as they let us ask ourselves: "Why shouldn't we game with safety and peace of mind with our cards?" That's the first component that makes the slogan an epic PR fail. The second component is overlooked and it's the fact that slogan will generate a big question mark above new buyers of FTW2. Some of them will now everything about the cooling problem and rest of them will find out in a second. If EVGA is going to leave us without option to upgrade our cards to iCX, all of them will ask themselves if that's going to happen to them in a couple of months. It's like marrying a girl that cheated her husband with you, it's a big NO NO for obvious reasons.

In other words, with that awful and insulting slogan EVGA admitted that there IS something wrong with ACX 3.0 (I'm not talking about a few burning capacitors, but sagging etc.).
If PCB is going to be altered at VRM area that means that there IS something wrong with electrical components on current boards. Period.
All of above "improvements" is not and can not be regular life cycle improvement. This is classic damage control, executed poorly!!

It remains to be seen how EVGA will treat users of current FTW cards, it's the factor that will decide a lot of things for them. Internet made a horror story around a few burnt capacitors, you can just imagine what can be fabricated from this. However, EVGA still has the chance to be a hero in this story...
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 02:10:37 (permalink)
Thanks guys. :)  Glad my opinion was well received by you guys that know me, but my hopes is that it may inform and open the eyes of some of our newer members who really don't know EVGA, components or PC's the way we do maybe. Just watching this whole fiasco from afar for awhile now and many of us who know about electronic components knew that this was really a blown out of proportion issue coming from a uninformed place. For instance, I just saw another post about the pcb on the cards "sagging" which is another example of a inexperienced, uninformed observation. If you've been building PC's for awhile now you know that cranking down coolers will warp the boards somewhat, but they certainly aren't sagging from weight of the cooler, lol. I had a Asus 650i that I put a thermaltake mini typhoon on at one time, which had the intel version of the install with the push through twist and turn mounts but they were a little heartier than intels stock sink, after that thing was on and setup the board looked like a dinner plate, but it didn't affect the performance of it ever so I didn't care. That was one of the worse ones ive seen though. If evga wants to add more pcb layers to stop that it most likely will and it may give them some thermal benefits too, but its really not a necessary move, imo, and frankly I don't welcome the extra expense on something so trivial cause WE will be paying for it. What that does show you is that EVGa is listening and will go the extra mile for its community, whether THEY think its warranted or not and that's a pretty rare quality to see for a company of there size for us consumers.  

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
WhatGravitas
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 04:59:50 (permalink)
Given the other improvements the iCX cooler seems to have (cooler-backplate connection to reduce sag and different VRAM cooling solution) and the time scale, I'm rather getting the impression that the iCX variety was always supposed to be a thing, a more premium version of the cooling. MSI does the same with the different iterations of the Twin Frozr.

I think it's much more likely that after the thermal pad issue, they might have just added the thermal pads to the backplate (same as with our ACX3.0 coolers) and rebranded it to distance themselves from the affair.

Still getting a whiff of "the cooler it was supposed to be" but not as a reaction to thermal issues and more to the experience they gained with Pascal as a chip.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31048
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 06:07:21 (permalink)
Lets stop jumping to conclusions

EVGA has not released any additional information; I have no idea when they will either.

I can tell you from personal experience 10 series are a different animal from previous generations of GPU

I've run my 2 EVGA 1080 FE on air and underwater and my 2 Titan X Pascals on air and underwater

I am OC the GPU Only and pushing them near 100%, 24/7 with the Folding@Home project

Keeping these next generation 10 series GPU cool is important for best Performance. 

When you OC the RAM it adds a LOT of Heat to the card and draws power away from the GPU, both hurt performance

So, I recommend you test those RAM OC and see if more RAM speed is indeed Faster, cause if it slows the GPU it becomes a net loss

When you run the system hard for Hours, days or even Months you will see temps do matter to performance

Why not just wait and see, EVGA will eventually pullback the curtain.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2017/01/11 21:32:05

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sblantipodi
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 294
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 12:38:56 (permalink)
but what's new in the cooler?
Heini2
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 14:06:32 (permalink)
LFaWolfI did think about switching to a Cooler Master HAF-XB case so they will sit upright and not sag due to gravity. Something for you to consider.

I've been using a HAF-XB EVO for a few years and EVGA GPU's. Several of the 980 series warped and one 1080 SC did too. It's not gravity causing the problem.

Z170 Sabertooth Mk1 / i7-6700K + NH-D15 / Trident Z (2x16GB)@3000 / 2080Ti XC Ultra / Essence STX II / 950 Pro 512GB / G3 1000W / MG279Q / HAF XB EVO / Win10 X64 Pro
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 14:13:57 (permalink)
sblantipodi
but what's new in the cooler?

Only EVGA can answer that.. everyone is eagerly awaiting their news release on the product.
Pimp-OINK
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 14:18:58 (permalink)
Lol... I bought my 1070 FTW on 12.31.2016.... :O

Wth....? Dont know this...
LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1795
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 14:32:52 (permalink)
Heini2
LFaWolfI did think about switching to a Cooler Master HAF-XB case so they will sit upright and not sag due to gravity. Something for you to consider.

I've been using a HAF-XB EVO for a few years and EVGA GPU's. Several of the 980 series warped and one 1080 SC did too. It's not gravity causing the problem.

Really? Thanks for sharing that.

dmoheban
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1506
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 16:22:05 (permalink)
Release date anyone??

Associate Code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 16:23:10 (permalink)
dmoheban
Release date anyone??

Nope. Not yet. We all have to wait until evga makes an announcement.
Squall_Rinoa86
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1735
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/11 23:25:59 (permalink)
Heini2

Without backplates perhaps? I know my 970 FTW's are still going strong and quite fine sense they have the backplates.. that I bought myself and weren't supplied with the FTW's at the time. Sure its not the 980 but still, not a single issue on mine at all.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
FattysGoneWild
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2660
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/12 00:20:48 (permalink)
Me likes!

HP Omen 880-160se custom ordered
MOBO: HP Tampa2
CPU: Intel i7 8700k @4.8GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
GPU: PNY XLR8 RTX 3080
PSU: Delta 750w 80 Plus Platinum 
NVMe M.2 SSD: Samsung 512GB MZVLW512HMJP
SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
Sound: Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync calibrated with ColorMunki Display
Keyboard: HP Omen 1100
Mouse: HP Omen 600

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 232
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/12 02:42:58 (permalink)

wmmills
wmmills

enthusiasts nowadays need a high power bios for pascal cards to avoid power throttling. but what evga does on ftw bios, especially for 1070s, is far away from enthusiast grade. without a high power bios on 1070 ftw, its just a market gimmick to have dual 8pin connectors with 10 phases power design, both of them are useless in enthusiasts' sense. thats why some ppl have got mad to ftw dt version, because it is totally redundant given worse gpu die with the same limitation to the good components capability of dual 8 pin connectors and 10 phases power design.

a true enthusiast grade card, like evga kingpin cards, only use samsung vram. and kingpin explains that samsung vram has tighter timing and vram clock scales better with voltage. nowadays, the term of "enthusiast" is nothing but a promotion gimmick. 
post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2017/01/12 02:52:44
warrior10
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1039
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/12 02:49:57 (permalink)
emsir
imricko99
To those people who back EVGA about this ICX being a new cooler with enhanced feature and not to make the original FTW being put at the corner, is there any Asus STRIX2? Is there any Gigabyte G1 Gaming 2 / Windforce OC 2? Is there any MSI Gaming X2 / Z2 / Quicksilver 2? Is there any Zotac AMP Extreme 2? Is there any Palit Super Jetstream 2 / Gamerock 2? Is there any KFA2 HOF2?

The answer is no because their coolers are not flawed. Doesn't matter whether EVGA said the ACX 3.0 cooler is not flawed even without thermal pads or not, the moment something is out of the factory and the company realize they miss out on something only after the product hits the market, then it is a flawed product.

Wrong! Will there be STRIX GTX TI? GIGABYTE G1 TI? Windforce OC2 TI? Quicksilver 2 TI? Zota AMP EXTREME TI?...and other brands TI?  The ANSWER IS yes, BECAUSE IT IS EXPECTED!
EVGA has chosen to name their new card "2". Nothing wrong with that. If EVGA named their new card TI, no one would have said anything.  And we all know EVGA. They listened to the critics and made major impovement to the cooling feature and a new backplate. You should be happy that engineers make better hardware. 

Your Wrong, 1) Is the fact that these class GPU's are well known for the overheating and even fire issues all over the Net and public domain now and real Techs that do their research and also have jobs in the computer business know not to buy these 1080/1070 SC's and up have a very 'flawed' cooling system. You, and anybody else cannot deny, even if any people have just an elementary level IQ that the New FTW-ICX is definitely what is the answer by Evga for the 'flawed' 1080 and 1070 ACX 3.0 SC and up have.

2) it seems Very likely that you are either a current member of this site and have made a new account under a different name just causing trouble for the new members here trying to get a " reasonable Upgrade to the FTW2-ICX that the people should have been sold in place of the original FTW's and SC'c, etc, etc, etc. If your not already a member here using a different assumed name/alias. Then it's very obvious that you already know this site very and these problems and is/are causing some chat problems with flaming the flames against Innocent customers that did not know the these GPU's are almost a 50/50 of working or burning up and  having to RMA them or crazily telling some customers to get Thermal-pads and try to fix it themselves is just really wrong for any company to do/say to a lot of people who spent a large sum of money to just have a great video card.

"What they call procedures like this and testing peoples skills putting on the pads is called,'A Wing and a Prayer that Test-pilots do."

I do love Evga, but when of the 5 EVGA star people, which Most of them i deeply Respect are wrongfully attacking innocent people could be, or would have been new EVGA lifelong customers, and I think the Mods here should really think about that before attacking what Could be our would have been, lifelong customers.
post edited by warrior10 - 2017/01/12 02:59:56

My new 
https://www.gigabyte.com/...70-Gaming-K7-rev-10#kf
HAF-X Coolermaster: 4 Fans
New Rig:Ryzen 1700 CPU-H100i Liquid arctic Cooled.
16gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400
180Ti Hybrid
Blu-ray drive SCSI
CDRW-RW drive SCSI 
Black WD Black caviar 2-1TB's and 1 500gig
WD Blue 1 TB  1 Sand disk SSD 240 for OS
Corsair PSU 1020
SWTOR Mouse and Headset
Razer CHROMA Keyboard
Dell 1444p G-Sync Monitor @144htz to 160htz
warrior10
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1039
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/12 02:56:21 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
dmoheban
Release date anyone??

Nope. Not yet. We all have to wait until evga makes an announcement.

Jacob said on his own Facebook or more likely that Link to the Twitter page, that to expect them 'Februarish', something like that word lol. That's he said, not me on that word heheh. Unless EVGA changed their timing which i wouldn't doubt.

My new 
https://www.gigabyte.com/...70-Gaming-K7-rev-10#kf
HAF-X Coolermaster: 4 Fans
New Rig:Ryzen 1700 CPU-H100i Liquid arctic Cooled.
16gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400
180Ti Hybrid
Blu-ray drive SCSI
CDRW-RW drive SCSI 
Black WD Black caviar 2-1TB's and 1 500gig
WD Blue 1 TB  1 Sand disk SSD 240 for OS
Corsair PSU 1020
SWTOR Mouse and Headset
Razer CHROMA Keyboard
Dell 1444p G-Sync Monitor @144htz to 160htz
4B91AAD8A56F4AA
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 379
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/12 04:15:47 (permalink)
i'm happy enough with my FTW v1.x :) 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/12 05:45:20 (permalink)
warrior10
Jacob said on his own Facebook or more likely that Link to the Twitter page, that to expect them 'Februarish', something like that word lol. That's he said, not me on that word heheh. Unless EVGA changed their timing which i wouldn't doubt.

It could definitely have some minor pushes for the dates.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/01/12 06:04:50
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile