EVGA

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Author
CoriolisAffectment
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 17:04:55 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
CoriolisAffectment
HeavyHemi
ilyama
For me the overheating issue wasnt so bad that we think and even without bios or pads, the temperatures were fine...

the slogan is the biggest mistake that evga made in all this story 

I actually do agree with that. It was inept. The other conspiracy theories just make me chuckle.

Hmm, inept?  Marketing is all about getting people to talk.  We're talking up a storm.  Looks brilliant from my seat.

Sure, but if they are talking about how you failed your latest health inspection...  In hindsight, it may have been better to not make it a part of your advertising campaign.

You have a point sirrah!  But this is electronic hardware and what better way to spur discussion but to have a double entendre, a triple or quadruple one?  Let the beasts of Schadenfreude have sway, allow gnashing of teeth; spittle shot from mouths cast in rictuses of unbelieving displeasure, each and sundry all proclaiming the just and true point of view! 
And lo, over there!  Quietly watching are the potentials with new fresh funds, thinking, well, probabilities are what they are and what are they to strike ME with the same curse that struck THEM? 
"Here!" they bellow, "Take my money!"

And the cycle renews.

Affiliate Code: 9SOE79HNPC

Below is a near live feed from my system's water loop.

jeralddoerr
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 17:05:20 (permalink)
Clam68 Posted a pic in this thread of his 1080 FWT catching fire.. and you guys act like you can't even see it!  and it's not the only one... You'll never see Tesla Motors (Yes I consider EVGA the Tesla Motors of Video cards ) patch up a defective seat belt with duct tape... sell v2 of the exact same car with patented kevlar seat belts and slap a label saying "Drive feeling safe now!"  

Where not looking for a free upgrade.. Dude dont want his money back JUST BECAUSE there's a new card coming out after he purchased...  I'ed be happy for EVGA if this v2 card has something new other than some extra holes, bios update, VRM Ram cooling solution or some advanced heat control sensor that cuts back power on your card before it catches fire...   

But I guess know one will get it till someone dies in there sleep using 1,2,3 or 4 1080 FTW on a overnight 4K 3D render, pushing the cards to the max...    Whose fault is that going to be? 
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21176
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 17:21:45 (permalink)
We have all seen plenty of pictures of burnt cards. Doesn't really phase us any more. I have seen pictures of burnt videos cards for over a decade. What is your point? If your card is burned, you get it replaced under warranty. The system is already in place; and works.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 17:28:20 (permalink)
jeralddoerr
Clam68 Posted a pic in this thread of his 1080 FWT catching fire.. and you guys act like you can't even see it!  and it's not the only one... You'll never see Tesla Motors (Yes I consider EVGA the Tesla Motors of Video cards ) patch up a defective seat belt with duct tape... sell v2 of the exact same car with patented kevlar seat belts and slap a label saying "Drive feeling safe now!"  

Where not looking for a free upgrade.. Dude dont want his money back JUST BECAUSE there's a new card coming out after he purchased...  I'ed be happy for EVGA if this v2 card has something new other than some extra holes, bios update, VRM Ram cooling solution or some advanced heat control sensor that cuts back power on your card before it catches fire...   

But I guess know one will get it till someone dies in there sleep using 1,2,3 or 4 1080 FTW on a overnight 4K 3D render, pushing the cards to the max...    Whose fault is that going to be? 

That's the nice thing about electronic fires like those on a GPU. It's tiny and contained. A couple of sparks, a bit of smoke...acrid smell. You're more likely to hurt yourself striking a match. I've never ever heard of a house fire being caused by GPU. Have you? Even one? Here's another point, after the initial fountain of rage over all these supposed GPU failures and fires, what happened? None of those fears materialized. Why is that?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 18:12:44 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
What? You just replied with a reprise of your opinions and conjecture on motivations. Basically your post is list of your IMPRESSIONS and EMOTIONAL reactions. That isn't a "novelty". You're trying to dismiss the entire point with that argument. I'm sorry, I'm not in the business of validating your conjecture nor arguing your opinions. You're certainly entitled to your opinions. You seem to be dangerously close to asserting you're in possession of facts and any contrary view is wrong. You're basically asking me to waste time speculating on why EVGA took this route. Meh...I just can't get that worked up. Some do.

Opinions? Did you not read anything that was happening regarding the VRM/heating isues? Or are you suggesting that I'm making up what Guru3D, numerous consumers wrote, what numerous consumers experienced, etc... Did EVGA not react to these issues by actively providing remedies to 1070/1080 owners? Is this another one of my "opinions"??? Again, what purpose can the iCX slogan serve but to reinvigorate confidence in EVGA's existing and potential customers following ACX 3.0 analysis?

So far you have validated nothing. You refuse to validate what I'm saying, and can't validate what you're saying. You have literally provided nothing but conjecture yourself. Nothing of value except attempting to disprove someone else's points with suggestions that they are opinionated. This is your argument. FACT.

Just to reiterate, my position is based on Guru3D's testing of the merchandise under discussion, namely EVGA ACX 3.0 branded cards. This happened. Same brand card owners speaking of failures some labeled as catastrophic, others as inconvenient but related to the same issue. This happened. EVGA providing rudimentary slutions to these problems in the form of an aggressive fan curve BIOS update and thermal pads. This happened.  Do you need a link provided for every single article?

Now, this conversation has veered away from my point a bit, which was that EVGA's latest cooling evolution has put them in a quandary at the expense of the affixed slogan which makes them appear guilty, as it were. Nowhere did I insinuate that they are, but that this is the way it appears. If you can't agree with that it's because you are blatantly ignoring the connotation......with your opinion.
chaython
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 18:13:34 (permalink)
Can i step my 1070 ftw to this?

I  wish I could afford a 970

LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1795
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 18:36:49 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
That's the nice thing about electronic fires like those on a GPU. It's tiny and contained. A couple of sparks, a bit of smoke...acrid smell. You're more likely to hurt yourself striking a match. I've never ever heard of a house fire being caused by GPU. Have you? Even one? Here's another point, after the initial fountain of rage over all these supposed GPU failures and fires, what happened? None of those fears materialized. Why is that?

Actually, that is not quite true from my personal experience. I had a blower style MSI 6950 that blew the capacitors (near the crossfire area) and caused a small fire out in the exhaust, and since the computer was sitting next to the window, the curtains caught fire. Luckily I was in the room and put it out quickly with several taps of the fire. Just because you never heard of one does not mean it hasn't happened.

panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 18:39:49 (permalink)
LFaWolf
HeavyHemi

Actually, that is not quite true from my personal experience. I had a blower style MSI 6950 that blew the capacitors (near the crossfire area) and caused a small fire out in the exhaust, and since the computer was sitting next to the window, the curtains caught fire. Luckily I was in the room and put it out quickly with several taps of the fire. Just because you never heard of one does not mean it hasn't happened.

Yeah, but he has an opinion despite never experiencing such an event.
jeralddoerr
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 18:51:54 (permalink)
ty_ger07
We have all seen plenty of pictures of burnt cards. Doesn't really phase us any more. I have seen pictures of burnt videos cards for over a decade. What is your point? If your card is burned, you get it replaced under warranty. The system is already in place; and works.

Lol, I thought I made my point real clear... a second grader would git it...  Unwanted fire can = death...  Ied think you could understand something so simple...  do you get the point now?  If not I don't think it matters...    
pat39576
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 18:58:04 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
jeralddoerr

Agreed. Failures in a computer usually result in damage to the spot where the issue beings, if any damage at all. So a failure in the PCIe slot of a motherboard will damage the board or whatever is plugged in to that slot. Failure of the VRM will likely cause the system to crash due to a lack of power, while a spectacular failure will cause the board  to no longer function due to the VRM catching fire due to heat but there is very little fuel around it to spread thus the damage is around the start of the fire.
Salem13
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 19:02:00 (permalink)
ilyama
Salem13
ilyama
I'm not in the case but all people with SC/FTW who will not keep their GPU until it die are completly screwed even without icx new cards...

I m lucky... I always keep all my gpu until it dies :D

Going back to a PentiumII and a RageFury Pro in 1992 I have had ONE video card die on me.

The rest, save a Voodoo5500 I modded until I destroyed it, have gone to the bin in working order.

How much time do you keep a gpu ?

*scratches head*

Going backwards ...

FTW 1070 DT

FTW 960

ATI850

Before that there was one that lasted a while???

OH 8800GTS 640, that was one sweet card!

I'm an enthusiast. :P
jeralddoerr
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 19:09:27 (permalink)
chaython

umm  I think bullet point 3 is the question...    So basicly I think it's up to them too decide..   Stepup is another reason I love evga..  never got to use it myself.

Graphics Cards
  • EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program.
  • Step-Up is limited to pre-approved graphics cards only and can only be used for exchange to a different and higher performing GPU.
  • Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)
  • Customers who received their EVGA graphics card as part of a complete computer system are not eligible - except for those listed on our approved system vendor list.
Graphics Cards Examples:
  • GTX 780 Ti → GTX 980: YES (Upgraded GPU)
  • GTX 960 2GB → GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX2.0+ 1GB: YES (Upgraded Memory)
  • GTX 970 FTW → GTX 970 FTW+ : YES (Upgraded Model)
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 19:51:25 (permalink)
panzlock
HeavyHemi
What? You just replied with a reprise of your opinions and conjecture on motivations. Basically your post is list of your IMPRESSIONS and EMOTIONAL reactions. That isn't a "novelty". You're trying to dismiss the entire point with that argument. I'm sorry, I'm not in the business of validating your conjecture nor arguing your opinions. You're certainly entitled to your opinions. You seem to be dangerously close to asserting you're in possession of facts and any contrary view is wrong. You're basically asking me to waste time speculating on why EVGA took this route. Meh...I just can't get that worked up. Some do.

Opinions? Did you not read anything that was happening regarding the VRM/heating isues? Or are you suggesting that I'm making up what Guru3D, numerous consumers wrote, what numerous consumers experienced, etc... Did EVGA not react to these issues by actively providing remedies to 1070/1080 owners? Is this another one of my "opinions"??? Again, what purpose can the iCX slogan serve but to reinvigorate confidence in EVGA's existing and potential customers following ACX 3.0 analysis?

So far you have validated nothing. You refuse to validate what I'm saying, and can't validate what you're saying. You have literally provided nothing but conjecture yourself. Nothing of value except attempting to disprove someone else's points with suggestions that they are opinionated. This is your argument. FACT.

Just to reiterate, my position is based on Guru3D's testing of the merchandise under discussion, namely EVGA ACX 3.0 branded cards. This happened. Same brand card owners speaking of failures some labeled as catastrophic, others as inconvenient but related to the same issue. This happened. EVGA providing rudimentary slutions to these problems in the form of an aggressive fan curve BIOS update and thermal pads. This happened.  Do you need a link provided for every single article?

Now, this conversation has veered away from my point a bit, which was that EVGA's latest cooling evolution has put them in a quandary at the expense of the affixed slogan which makes them appear guilty, as it were. Nowhere did I insinuate that they are, but that this is the way it appears. If you can't agree with that it's because you are blatantly ignoring the connotation......with your opinion.

Wow...that's a long winded way of saying we have differing opinions, but yours, is the most important. Got it!  It's a bit presumptuous of you claim I'm not acutely aware of the issues surrounding the GTX 1080 and the nerd rage it generated. What makes you the authority? We're seeing a repeat of that here, on a smaller scale. Repeating the same arguments  from months ago is so boring. So if you have nothing new...

post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/01/09 19:55:21

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 19:54:29 (permalink)
LFaWolf
HeavyHemi

No kidding? You had curtains laying against the exhaust of your GPU? Well, I guess you hear of something novel every day.

LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1795
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 19:59:13 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
LFaWolf
HeavyHemi

No kidding? You had curtains laying against the exhaust of your GPU? Well, I guess you hear of something novel every day.

It is not like they are right next to each other. Looking at it now the distance is at least 6 inches. It was a warm spring day so I opened the window and moved the computer to exhaust the heat out. Fire burns upward, you know? Simple physics for most people.

Salem13
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:00:29 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
LFaWolf
HeavyHemi

Actually, I have some of them fancy dan waffle blinds right behind my unit?
jeralddoerr
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:23:59 (permalink)
Where did he say he had "curtains laying !!against!! the exhaust of your GPU?"    
post edited by jeralddoerr - 2017/01/09 20:31:49
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:28:41 (permalink)
jeralddoerr
HeavyHemi,   

Where did he say he had "curtains laying !!against!! the exhaust of your GPU?"    

Well, how else could they catch fire?

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:33:17 (permalink)
Salem13
HeavyHemi
LFaWolf
HeavyHemi

Actually, I have some of them fancy dan waffle blinds right behind my unit?

There's probably two feet of space behind mine. But seriously, there shouldn't be flammable material around the exhaust of anything. But, unique events aside, the point is the failure rate doesn't seem to be any worse than other models.  I get EGVA could have done a better design or a better job communicating their design and design choices. But another thing being ignored here, is this new design was likely in the works months before these issues came up. It makes some of the theories floating around, pretty nebulous.

You know what it really is?

post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/01/09 20:44:29

jeralddoerr
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:46:03 (permalink)
This 1080 FTW is a beast!! And I'm venting mine as well as I can... but honestly I could see it spitting out flames like a car with nitrous!!! x 2

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:57:29 (permalink)
jeralddoerr
This 1080 FTW is a beast!! And I'm venting mine as well as I can... but honestly I could see it spitting out flames like a car with nitrous!!! x 2

Well, except that the flammable material is quite limited on a GPU. Bits of metal and high temperature plastic. So no...but here's something as a 'blast' to the past...

panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 20:58:10 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

Wow...that's a long winded way of saying we have differing opinions, but yours, is the most important. Got it!  It's a bit presumptuous of you claim I'm not acutely aware of the issues surrounding the GTX 1080 and the nerd rage it generated. What makes you the authority? We're seeing a repeat of that here, on a smaller scale. Repeating the same arguments  from months ago is so boring. So if you have nothing new...

Still ignoring the question, huh? Again, for the third or fourth time, what plausible argument do you have for EVGA's release of iCX with the slogan that is being explored, here? What's your angle?

That's a long winded way of pointing out what you have been arguing against with nothing more than "That's your opinion".

My opinion isn't more important. My opinion is correct.

pat39576
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 21:04:53 (permalink)
jeralddoerr
chaython

umm  I think bullet point 3 is the question...    So basicly I think it's up to them too decide..   Stepup is another reason I love evga..  never got to use it myself.

Graphics Cards
  • EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program.
  • Step-Up is limited to pre-approved graphics cards only and can only be used for exchange to a different and higher performing GPU.
  • Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)
  • Customers who received their EVGA graphics card as part of a complete computer system are not eligible - except for those listed on our approved system vendor list.
Graphics Cards Examples:
  • GTX 780 Ti → GTX 980: YES (Upgraded GPU)
  • GTX 960 2GB → GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX2.0+ 1GB: YES (Upgraded Memory)

I would like to also have us look at the first 2 points under Graphics cards:

The first would indicate that we should not see it as an option, and the second leaves it up to them. Now there is another under examples to point out for those who expect it:

It is possible, even though I would like to point out that this point is contradicting the first point I previously pointed to where it says "... ONLY RELEASE REFERENCE VERSIONS...". Now I could care less which one they go with since I bought my GTX 1070 FTW in September before the original fiasco occurred and it still operates perfectly fine, aside from some occasional artifacting in ONE game which I have found no cause for and am unable to reproduce it in other games, although I might investigate on a day off before I ask for aid in solving this. Now my card currently is running with an upgraded BIOS but it is not the one from November since I use a custom fan curve which is the bulk of the updated BIOS, but it does have the thermal mod applied along with a different thermal paste since I had the card open and it is still fine. Now I mentioned the only issue I have with it but do not ask questions since I have not looked into the cause or a fix yet since I just noticed it a short time ago, and I would rather check it out on my own time since I have noticed it in one game only and in only a handful of occasions.

LFaWolf
HeavyHemi
LFaWolf
HeavyHemi

It is not like they are right next to each other. Looking at it now the distance is at least 6 inches. It was a warm spring day so I opened the window and moved the computer to exhaust the heat out. Fire burns upward, you know? Simple physics for most people.

Now it still is something you should not do, not that I had my GTX 1070 FTW near a curtain at one point but that is not a blower style card so any fire WOULD have stayed within the case although I did have an AIO cooler for my CPU blowing out the top of the case over the VRM of my 1070 at the same time. Still, that is not the smartest thing to do, and I would not recommend that unless the curtain is fire proof or at least fire resistant.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 21:07:56 (permalink)
panzlock
HeavyHemi

Still ignoring the question, huh? Again, for the third or fourth time, what plausible argument do you have for EVGA's release of iCX with the slogan that is being explored, here? What's your angle?

That's a long winded way of pointing out what you have been arguing against with nothing more than "That's your opinion".

My opinion isn't more important. My opinion is correct.

Well, your problem is you have an angle. I don't have an angle. I'm just not buying your theories. I don't need to invent my own theory of their motives. We have you for that, right? The likely fact that this was in development for months (you know like prior to these issues), kinda puts a kibosh on it. Your opinion is correct to you. Congrats, you're human. Lastly, I agree using the slogan wasn't a good move. Seems to be a relatively universal thought. However, I don't believe that is evidence of your grand conspiracy. So, nothing new except this outrage over an ad. Man...1st world problems eh?

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/09 23:43:47 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
jeralddoerr

Well, except that the flammable material is quite limited on a GPU. Bits of metal and high temperature plastic. So no...but here's something as a 'blast' to the past...

OMG! That's some funny stoof right thar! Ahahahahahahaha!
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 05:21:05 (permalink)

I am on french forum too (I think you can see that with my poor english :D ) and I think the angle is here:

On this forum, we have a lot of question about people who are not informed at all and who only knows, there is a "thermal, overheating issue"

For them, the evga 1000 series is not safe at all...

So I think evga want to correct that in people mind, because all future buyers dont want to dig up to find the truth !
They heard a rumor and thats it... 

Maybe evga want to be sure that everybody knows its safe to buy evga;... even if it was already safe before ! 
This tomwhardware test made a lot of damage... maybe they want to make a clear and direct 180 degres to forget all of this...

But this is a really wrong slogan for actual users, I agree... because it's so easy to make the conclusion that the acx 3.0 1000 series is not safe and that we cant have peace of mind with it !

I feel completely safe and have peace of mind becuase I'm informed about the situation... this is not the case for everybody....
post edited by ilyama - 2017/01/10 05:26:25
panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 06:10:05 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

Well, your problem is you have an angle. I don't have an angle. I'm just not buying your theories. I don't need to invent my own theory of their motives. We have you for that, right? The likely fact that this was in development for months (you know like prior to these issues), kinda puts a kibosh on it. Your opinion is correct to you. Congrats, you're human. Lastly, I agree using the slogan wasn't a good move. Seems to be a relatively universal thought. However, I don't believe that is evidence of your grand conspiracy. So, nothing new except this outrage over an ad. Man...1st world problems eh?

Not having an angle is your problem.

I'm not selling my theories. So put your money away.

I never invented a theory. The sequence of events surrounding the ACX 3.0 cooler created a debate in which we find ourselves embroiled.

A likely fact isn't a fact. This could have been in development for a year. Then again, it could have been in development ever since it was discovered that thermal pads installed in 1070/1080 cards were insufficient. A new development for a cooler may not require decades of development to be successful. This may be a simple overhaul of 3.0 with an updated signature.

The slogan was definitely not a good move and it sends a message to the average consumer that indeed a problem was present, hence the angst.

Again, I'm not establishing a grand conspiracy, or any conspiracy. My only argument here is (and has always been) the message (slogan) and how it will be perceived by the public given the implicit overtone following a minor PR disaster of EVGA's higher end VGA's.

Lets be glad our debate comprises of an issue pertaining to a pricey PC component as opposed to whether or not we're going to eat today.
post edited by panzlock - 2017/01/11 07:39:14
ZeroBANG
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 06:12:23 (permalink)
i have a additional question:  
according to "TechPower Up" (article)   
"It" [EVGA] "plans to replace the current SC, FTW, and possibly Classified series graphics cards from its product stack, with these new cards."  

and:  
"Apparently, the company has redesigned the PCBs of its top-tier GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 cards from the ground up"  

So, if i keep my GTX1080 FTW, and IF there is not going to be a step up program to replace it (one that is NOT limited by some 3 month after purchase technicality that would screw me over instantly)... will i be able to buy a GTX 1080 FTW 2 in a year or two and operate these 2 "entirely different cards" in SLI ?  

Because if the 1080 FTW is discontinued (as the article states) and i can't buy it anymore in a Shop, then that isn't only eating away from the resale value, but also effectively kills the upgrade path via SLI within the next few months?  
...or not?  

If EVGA would not call this a "2" then that would be less of an issue for me.  
Call it 1080 FTW iCX Edition or whatever. "2" means the "(1)" is outdated / had issues and when i want to sell it in a year or two then everyone will want the version 2.  
It is also bad marketing on EVGA's part, because it just brings back the by now almost forgotten Thermal Pad discussion and any new customer will ask "why is there a 2 on this? was there something wrong with version 1?" and a short google later they will also be informed of the issues and maybe even shy away from a purchase in fear of further problems... and if they find a ton of angry customers of the old card who got left behind that will just cement their decision to not go with EVGA.  
Call it something else, silently phase out the ACX 3.0 and RMA any (actually defective) ACX 3.0 with the iCX version and be done with it, just don't call it "2"... that is just rubbing me in all the wrong ways.  

...also my GPU heatsink does indeed sag away from the PCB, the PCB is sitting 100% straight in the slot but the 1080FTW RGB LED logo and the heatsink are sagging away ever so slightly... it looks odd on pictures and technically it increases the gap between PCB and Heatsink which means the supplied thermal pads are possibly still having a gap (look at the last 3 pictures of my Ghetto Pad Mod...).  
post edited by ZeroBANG - 2017/01/10 06:16:35
ZeroBANG
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 07:34:49 (permalink)
updated the opening post with some CES news coverage and tl;dr of the more important points, hopefully this will reduce wild "speculation" at least a little bit.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/10 08:16:55 (permalink)
ZeroBANG
updated the opening post with some CES news coverage and tl;dr of the more important points, hopefully this will reduce wild "speculation" at least a little bit.

Thank you sir. I like the updated post.

I see what you mean about the techpowerup and gamer nexus inconsistency. I think techpowerup may have just said that in assumption, as EVGA isn't quoted saying it at this time.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile