EVGA

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 17
Author
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 11:43:49 (permalink)
V3g3ta
EVGA designed a new cooler, includes a fine slogan.. But we at EVGA, don't know anything about it. They ship out samples, display them at CES.. For a company with such a customer service i would expect a proper response, because it's understandable how many here are feeling. And i agree that the 1080Ti shouldn't be mentioned, because it isn't relevant. That it excist is another topic of discussion, but many know it is ready.

AGAIN, here is EVGA's response.
EVGATech_EddieH
Hello all, 
We do appreciate the feedback regarding the products being shown at CES 2017.  Please keep in mind that we currently have no details regarding these items and some are considered proof of concept.  Regarding the iCX/FTW2, please stay tuned for further information coming in the near future which will be displayed here: http://www.evga.com/icx/    Again, thank you for your feedback, any further concerns can be emailed to webmaster@evga.com, but please note again that we have no further details at this time. 

Deal with it.  That's all you get for now.

Now, can we please let the thread either die or temporarily lock the thread until there is actually information available to argue about?  At the moment, this is just an out-of-control mess.

I think this is very relevant:

Andy R.
Marlboro, VT 05344
Dear Click and Clack,
I am writing to offer profound thanks to you for resolving an important philosophical question that has been heatedly debated for the last twenty years. The rumination began on a construction site one summer in the early 1970's, as my friend Jamie and I were working our way through college. The question we raised and have agonized over, lo these many years, is one that I've never read about in any philosophical treatise, and yet I have found it has applied to countless situations and conversations overheard in bars, repair shops, sporting events, political debates, etc. etc. etc.
Posit the question: Do two people who don't know what they are talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about? (Pardon the un-PC masculine pronoun, but I have found this to be, most predominately, a male phenomenon.)
In your recent conversations regarding electric brakes on a cattle carrier, I believe you definitely answered this query and have put our debate to rest. Amazingly enough, you proved that even in a case where one person might know nothing about a subject, it is possible for two people to know even less!
One person will only go so far out on a limb in his construction of deeply hypothetical structures, and will often end with a shrug or a raising of hands to indicate the dismissability of his particular take on a subject. With two people, the intricacies, the gives and takes, the wherefores and why-nots, can become a veritable pas-de-deux of breathtaking speculation, interwoven in such a way that apologies or gestures of doubt are rendered unnecessary.
I had always suspected this was the case, but no argument I could have built from my years of observation would have so satisfyingly closed the door on the subject as your performance on the cattle carrier call. To begin your comments by saying, "We'll answer your question if you tell us how electric brakes work" and "We've never heard of electric brakes" and then indulge in lengthy theoretical hypostulations on the whys and wherefores of the caller's problem allowed me to observe that you were finally putting this gnarly question to rest.
I am forever indebted to you for the great service you have performed! I'm truly impressed that it took so many years of listening to your show to finally have this matter resolved.

Sincerely,
Andy R.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

V3g3ta
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 11:50:22 (permalink)
You know most of the people here won't take that for an answer.. And i don't blame them either. And the things you find relevant are only for you, at least in this thread. And you don't have to read any of this, you know that?
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 11:56:26 (permalink)
ty_ger07
V3g3ta
Let EVGA clear things up.

Read what EVGA wrote.  There is virtually no information and there is nothing which EVGA plans to clear up at this time.

"Please keep in mind that we currently have no details regarding these items and some are considered proof of concept. ... but please note again that we have no further details at this time."

Why lock the thread?  It is spiraling out of control into this crazy flamebait argument thread.

The situation in Europe is spiraling out of control. This thread making you cry? Join a university. i hear they have safe spaces.

Humans speculate. It's part of our nature. Let it take its course. If you're offended...avert your delicate eyes.
malxlupus
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:11:41 (permalink)
That I have to read a chain of email updates to a thread that holds contents or a discussion that is currently important to me and to come back to find a long time forum user saying this thread is full of idiots arguing over nothing, is nothing short of insulting. Being demeaned as a know-nothing does not endear me to the EVGA brand nor this community. I came here for answers along with everyone else. I voiced my opinion as amicably, succinctly, and egalitarian-ly as possible and tried to add verifiable information to the discourse. I did not come here to not only be told no one knows anything but that I and others should just shut up. I know some things. I know where my receipt is. I know what my return before date is. And I sure as hell know what EVGA's competitors are. If you think arbitration of aggrieved customers should be handled by locking people out of a discussion then you yourself shouldn't have to speculate on our response.
panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:19:17 (permalink)
malxlupus
That I have to read a chain of email updates to a thread that holds contents or a discussion that is currently important to me and to come back to find a long time forum user saying this thread is full of idiots arguing over nothing, is nothing short of insulting. Being demeaned as a know-nothing does not endear me to the EVGA brand nor this community. I came here for answers along with everyone else. I voiced my opinion as amicably, succinctly, and egalitarian-ly as possible and tried to add verifiable information to the discourse. I did not come here to not only be told no one knows anything but that I and others should just shut up. I know some things. I know where my receipt is. I know what my return before date is. And I sure as hell know what EVGA's competitors are. If you think arbitration of aggrieved customers should be handled by locking people out of a discussion then you yourself shouldn't have to speculate on our response.

Yeah, but, this is relevant: "Andy R.
Marlboro, VT 05344
Dear Click and Clack,
I am writing to offer profound thanks to......", etc...

As for you, don't feel insulted, either. This is the kind of banter that finds results. If they lock it, we know where they stand.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:20:09 (permalink)
malxlupus
I came here for answers along with everyone else.

Here is an update: there are no answers in this thread and there is no additional information.  There is nothing but speculation at this point.

We could speculate about whether the new card will be better than the old card.  We could speculate about whether the new card will replace the old card.  We could speculate about whether EVGA will offer any kind of process for paying your way to owning a new card.  We could speculate about what type of cooler future cards (which don't exist) will have.  We could speculate about the resale value of your current card.

All is speculation.  None is an answer.  None is real information.

If all you care about is creating some more hot air and expressing yourself, feel free to contribute to the speculation about nothing.  I will attempt to turn a blind eye.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:21:27 (permalink)
V3g3ta
EVGA designed a new cooler, includes a fine slogan.. But we at EVGA, don't know anything about it. They ship out samples, display them at CES.. For a company with such a customer service i would expect a proper response, because it's understandable how many here are feeling. And i agree that the 1080Ti shouldn't be mentioned, because it isn't relevant. That it excist is another topic of discussion, but many know it is ready.

I know...and so many people 'know' the 1080Ti was going to be announced at CES. Oops. I would expect those who claim to be in possession of the facts, to make fact based arguments. What we have is a bunch of drive by rage fits over a mock-up of a product. It is ridiculous.  EVGA has always had a policy of not commenting on the rumors of released future products beyond acknowledging the rumors. No amount of angsty GPU nerd rage is going to change that.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/01/07 12:28:32

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:22:46 (permalink)
so evga updated the cooler on a high end card and now everyone has their panties in a bunch because they feel slighted. get over it, it happens all the time. set your system up correctly for air cooling and dont go crazy with the OC and you will be fine. i have owned hundreds of cards, and have built more systems than i care to remember and the one thing i have learned is proper thought to air flow and cooling is the key.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:24:50 (permalink)
panzlock
malxlupus

Yeah, but, this is relevant: "Andy R.
Marlboro, VT 05344
Dear Click and Clack,
I am writing to offer profound thanks to......", etc...

As for you, don't feel insulted, either. This is the kind of banter that finds results. If they lock it, we know where they stand.

Ah...so if they lock this thread, to you that is proof of every spurious claim made of the evil intent of EVGA! They will never fool you!

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 12:57:03 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

I know...and so many people 'know' the 1080Ti was going to be announced at CES. Oops. I would expect those who claim to be in possession of the facts, to make fact based arguments. What we have is a bunch of drive by rage fits over a mock-up of a product. It is ridiculous.  EVGA has always had a policy of not commenting on the rumors of released future products beyond acknowledging the rumors. 

THAT!  RIGHT THERE! That is a fact!

No, this thread isn't going to be locked, as there is no reason to lock it.  As I stated earlier, the speculation of what EVGA will do is only going to cause people anxiety because we have no clue what EVGA is actually going to do.  

So far, we have two pictures and a two pretty good videos (JayzTwoCents and Gamer Nexus).  Both of them is just an overlook with no definitive answer to what has fully changed.  Gamer Nexus gave the best overview, and clearly stated that they can not remove the cooler to see all of the changes.  EVGA R&D has never been required to release statements because of a mock product at a CES showing.  EVGA is giving the idea as they always have, and we can wait patiently and see what they do, or people can swear they will never return to EVGA because a picture showed up that they didn't like.. Unfortunately, until EVGA actually releases a statement, all we have is people blowing off steam with no idea what is to come.

Feel free to vent, but remember all of the people that said they would never buy EVGA when the SLI finger issue happened, and then EVGA release the 970 FTW+, SC+ and SSC+?  They all came back because EVGA helped them out.  Threatening to leave any company doesn't do much unfortunately.  Especially when other competitor companies don't care what they have done wrong and won't help you when your stuff breaks, unlike the one that people are threatening to leave.

To be honest, my original posts from 2013, right after joining this forum, show that I stated I would never come back to EVGA after they released a locked bios for the 780ti.. when EVGA came back and helped the customers that had purchased the cards, I ate my words.  When my ASUS motherboard died, they sent me the same one back, with no repairs or explanation as to what was wrong.. Sent it back a second time, and they just returned it with no repairs.  I'll stick to the companies that back their customers and products.  That is why I have been loyal to EVGA GPU's so far.  When they actually break my trust, I will actually walk away...

Also, I promise we all want the same answers.  EVGA is great about releasing the info to the people that are allowed to release it, and they are also great at holding information rather than allowing it to sporadically leak like NVidia and AMD do.  When EVGA has everything ready, they will give the details.  Those sending in the mass amount of emails are getting a hold of the people that were not given the information, because those folks probably work for customer service, and not the R&D department.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/01/07 13:09:53
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 13:10:14 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
HeavyHemi

I know...and so many people 'know' the 1080Ti was going to be announced at CES. Oops. I would expect those who claim to be in possession of the facts, to make fact based arguments. What we have is a bunch of drive by rage fits over a mock-up of a product. It is ridiculous.  EVGA has always had a policy of not commenting on the rumors of released future products beyond acknowledging the rumors. No amount of angsty GPU nerd rage is going to change that.

THAT!  RIGHT THERE! That is a fact!

No, this thread isn't going to be locked, as there is no reason to lock it.  As I stated earlier, the speculation of what EVGA will do is only going to cause people anxiety because we have no clue what EVGA is actually going to do.  

So far, we have two pictures and a two pretty good videos (JayzTwoCents and Gamer Nexus).  Both of them is just an overlook with no definitive answer to what has fully changed.  Gamer Nexus gave the best overview, and clearly stated that they can not remove the cooler to see all of the changes.  EVGA R&D has never been required to release statements because of a mock product at a CES showing.  EVGA is giving the idea as they always have, and we can wait patiently and see what they do, or people can swear they will never return to EVGA because a picture showed up that they didn't like.. Unfortunately, until EVGA actually releases a statement, all we have is people blowing off steam with no idea what is to come.

Feel free to vent, but remember all of the people that said they would never buy EVGA when the SLI finger issue happened, and then EVGA release the 970 FTW+, SC+ and SSC+?  They all came back because EVGA helped them out.  Threatening to leave any company doesn't do much unfortunately.  Especially when other competitor companies don't care what they have done wrong and won't help you when your stuff breaks, unlike the one that people are threatening to leave.

To be honest, my original posts from 2013, right after joining this forum, show that I stated I would never come back to EVGA after they released a locked bios for the 780ti.. when EVGA came back and helped the customers that had purchased the cards, I ate my words.  When my ASUS motherboard died, they sent me the same one back, with no repairs or explanation as to what was wrong.. Sent it back a second time, and they just returned it with no repairs.  I'll stick to the companies that back their customers and products.  That is why I have been loyal to EVGA GPU's so far.  When they actually break my trust, I will actually walk away...

Also, I promise we all want the same answers.  EVGA is great about releasing the info to the people that are allowed to release it, and they are also great at holding information rather than allowing it to sporadically leak like NVidia and AMD do.  When EVGA has everything ready, they will give the details.  Those sending in the mass amount of emails are getting a hold of the people that were not given the information, because those folks probably work for customer service, and not the R&D department.

I was pondering if 'angsty nerd rage' was a bit over the top.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 13:33:35 (permalink)
The 1080Ti will not drop until AMD drop there new line. That's all there is to that question. Why would they?! They know theres a competitor release about to drop, why not have a answer for that drop. Its the 7xx series all over again.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
chapel976
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 13:58:24 (permalink)
emsir
chapel976
Waiting on my 1080 FTW RMA right now... not really happy to see a 'new product' that might be replacing my current FTW.

It looks shorter too. height wise, not length wise.

I don't really understand your complaint. As we all know all brands were expecting to release the 10xx GTX TI cards in then beginning of 2017. Same procedure as the 9xx GTX series- Everybody were absolutely happy about the TI cards. So now EVGA chose to release the GTX 2 cards instead of the TI. Funny thing is. If EVGA had named their new 10xx TI, no one had complained as it was expected to see the 1xxx GTX TI cards very soon.

Well, it's more of this:
d.burnette
" Game with Safety and Peace of Mind"

I am not sure they chose the best wording for this new design for the 1080 FTW.  Kind of makes me feel like, if I want safety and peace of mind, I should sell my original  1080 FTW ( for a loss) and buy the newly designed FTW - because with my card as is I would not have safety and peace of mind.

I have been a very loyal customer of EVGA for many years, in both graphic cards and motherboards, and really this is the first time I can recall ever getting a bit of a bad taste over a product I purchased from them.

Is this a new model to fix the problems with the old model or just a better model in general? Will the original ACX 3.0 continue on or is this replacing it because I'm not gaming "with safety and peace of mind"
Honestly, I feel like if it wasn't the FTW2, I wouldn't have noticed. If it was the GTX 1080 iCX, I wouldn't have even give a crap. Or if the slogan wasn't such a slap in the face.
Poliacido
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 14:42:23 (permalink)
panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 14:45:02 (permalink)
ty_ger07

...feel free to contribute to the speculation about nothing.

I don't think you know what you're saying.

HeavyHemi

Ah...so if they lock this thread, to you that is proof of every spurious claim made of the evil intent of EVGA! They will never fool you!

I don't think you know what I'm saying.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 15:58:13 (permalink)
panzlock
ty_ger07

...feel free to contribute to the speculation about nothing.

I don't think you know what you're saying.

HeavyHemi

I don't think you know what I'm saying.

Perhaps, but you did say, if they lock this thread, it will prove something to you. If my inference was off target, you had a prime opportunity to correct it. That you did not, leads to an inference. 
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/01/07 16:46:52

trek554
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 812
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:03:52 (permalink)
Heini2
I put an ACX3 cooler on a 1080 FE and was very happy with the results (no pads). If they offer the ICX cooler for sale I'll be first in line for it to try on the TitanXP.

so you bought a $700 FE and then bought an ACX3 cooler to put on it? why didn't you just buy the $620 ACX3 GTX1080 in the first place instead of spending 100 bucks more to end up with the same thing in the end? 

Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | FE RTX 3070 | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Phanteks P500A | Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000| Sound Blaster Zx
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:05:52 (permalink)
trek554
Heini2
I put an ACX3 cooler on a 1080 FE and was very happy with the results (no pads). If they offer the ICX cooler for sale I'll be first in line for it to try on the TitanXP.

so you bought a $700 FE and then bought an ACX cooler to put on it? why didn't you just buy the $620 ACX GTX1080 in the first place instead of spending 100 bucks more to end up with the same thing in the end? 

Just a guess, but availability would be a good reason. Grab the founders edition from nvidia 2 weeks before evga can even attempt to sell it, then slap another cooler on later.. could be completely wrong of course.
trek554
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 812
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:13:36 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
trek554
Heini2

so you bought a $700 FE and then bought an ACX cooler to put on it? why didn't you just buy the $620 ACX GTX1080 in the first place instead of spending 100 bucks more to end up with the same thing in the end? 

Just a guess, but availability would be a good reason. Grab the founders edition from nvidia 2 weeks before evga can even attempt to sell it, then slap another cooler on later.. could be completely wrong of course.

well maybe but it seems silly to end up with the exact same card he could have had fro 100 bucks cheaper. and from what I saw the ACX3 GTX1080 and SC version were in stock quite a bit not long after launch which is why I got it over any other model. 

Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | FE RTX 3070 | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Phanteks P500A | Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000| Sound Blaster Zx
xps2947
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:16:05 (permalink)
More speculation to add to this mess...

I think the FTW2 name insinuates that it will be replacing the first FTW. The new slogan adds to this theory of mine. So, I think the ACX3 design will be replaced by the ICX in the current 1070 and 1080 within a few months.

I also think that EVGA will offer some sort of option to registered owners of the flawed ACX3 design. The potential loss of repeat customers will outweigh the cost of standing behind their product, IMO.

What I gather: I think there's no reason to get upset at this point. It's time to get upset and make EVGA aware when customers are left with "flawed" cards. That will hopefully provoke a favorable response from EVGA.

More restated opinions: The ACX3 cooler is a flawed design that wouldn't have been released in its current form if caught in time. Thermal pads would've been applied in the factory at least. I'm aware that the VRM can handle temperatures that most of these graphics cards experience, but it's definitely not optimal for a card of its caliber and price point. The ICX fixes this issue..

One last thing: I did purchase the GTX 1070 FTW last month; third graphics card and the first time I've gone with EVGA. It works great without the thermal pads. It's overclocked to the max with a custom fan curve. The GPU core stays under 72* C. I'm not sure what temp. the VRM is, but I have no reason to think it's overheating. However... an option to upgrade to an updated ICX from EVGA would definitely make me a loyal customer.
post edited by xps2947 - 2017/01/07 16:20:54
Heini2
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:16:43 (permalink)
trek554
Scarlet-Tech
trek554
Heini2

well maybe but it seems silly to end up with the exact same card he could have had fro 100 bucks cheaper. and from what I saw the ACX3 GTX1080 and SC version were in stock quite a bit not long after launch which is why I got it over any other model. 

Scarlet-Tech is close.... I had the FE when I came across the ACX3 and couldn't resist the temptation to experiment.

Z170 Sabertooth Mk1 / i7-6700K + NH-D15 / Trident Z (2x16GB)@3000 / 2080Ti XC Ultra / Essence STX II / 950 Pro 512GB / G3 1000W / MG279Q / HAF XB EVO / Win10 X64 Pro
panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:18:55 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

Perhaps, but you did say, if they lock this thread, it will prove something to you. If my inference was off target, you had a prime opportunity to correct it. That you did not, leads to an inference.

My reference was to the proposed notion of closing this thread to end speculation. Thinking I actually meant that the closing down of this thread, to me, means that anything discussed thus far was authentic in any way is definitively absurd. I am, in fact, one of the people personally advocating my potential speculation errors pertaining to this discussion. But since you bring up "inference" you may wish to familiarize yourself with the merchandising slogan attached to the iCX product.

Funny that you brought up inference when it suits your argument. Do you not feel that marketing phrase infers current ACX 3.0 coolers are not safe?

shannonjpower
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:47:33 (permalink)
If EVGA didn't want people to be speculating then why would they give everyone a sneak peak at the new iCX cooler etc? Because it's obvious that's what they want. They want people talking about it, getting the word out be it good or bad. Either way everyone in this thread is doing exactly what EVGA's marketing team wants and that's talking about the new design. Their reputation was tarnished and potential buyers were shying away from the brand and going elsewhere. Hence the new slogan, new FTW2 and newly named cooler design.

This is EVGA's attempt at restoring that reputation and hopefully bringing back those buyers or securing those who are waiting for the Ti series. No doubt it would have been bad for EVGA if the Ti's dropped with the same partially flawed ACX cooler that people had little faith in. Is it bad timing? It sure is for those who already have a 10 series FTW etc, but it's perfect timing for EVGA. By the time the Ti's are out one can only assume the new cooler would have been out for a few months at least and proven to compete once again with other manufacturers. Bringing people back to the brand in time for the new Ti's.

I'ts all just one big marketing hype and for now it's a slap across the face of the FTW owners. The only thing people can do is wait patiently and see what EVGA come to the table with in regards to FTW owners. That's IF (and it's a big IF) the coolers are even released on the 1070 and 1080 FTW series. This might be just one big mockup and getting people talking about the new iCX cooler for the Ti's.

If it's nothing, then really the best think you can do if you're left feeling tainted is vote with your wallet. Simply don't buy EVGA and if you're ever in the position to recommend a brand then advise people to go with an alternate.
post edited by shannonjpower - 2017/01/07 17:11:04
hapkiman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 16:59:01 (permalink)
emsir
imricko99
To those people who back EVGA about this ICX being a new cooler with enhanced feature and not to make the original FTW being put at the corner, is there any Asus STRIX2? Is there any Gigabyte G1 Gaming 2 / Windforce OC 2? Is there any MSI Gaming X2 / Z2 / Quicksilver 2? Is there any Zotac AMP Extreme 2? Is there any Palit Super Jetstream 2 / Gamerock 2? Is there any KFA2 HOF2?

The answer is no because their coolers are not flawed. Doesn't matter whether EVGA said the ACX 3.0 cooler is not flawed even without thermal pads or not, the moment something is out of the factory and the company realize they miss out on something only after the product hits the market, then it is a flawed product.

Wrong! Will there be STRIX GTX TI? GIGABYTE G1 TI? Windforce OC2 TI? Quicksilver 2 TI? Zota AMP EXTREME TI?...and other brands TI?  The ANSWER IS yes, BECAUSE IT IS EXPECTED!
EVGA has chosen to name their new card "2". Nothing wrong with that. If EVGA named their new card TI, no one would have said anything.  And we all know EVGA. They listened to the critics and made major impovement to the cooling feature and a new backplate. You should be happy that engineers make better hardware. 

The upcoming "Ti" series are completely different cards based on a different GPU than the 1070/1080.  I think emsir's point is quite valid.  No other company has released a second model of the exact same card like a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X-2 for instance.  It is unusual for EVGA to do this, and the fact that it is coincidentally released right after the whole thermal pad, BIOS update fiasco just adds to the frustration of owners of an ACX type 1070 or 1080.  This is not a case of a brand new card being released and EVGA just deciding to call it FTW2, having no correlation to the said problem of the FTW (1).  I have a hard time believing that one.    
post edited by hapkiman - 2017/01/07 17:01:23

Intel Core i9-9900k, Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 @3466MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC2 Ultra, MSI MEG Z390 ACE, Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, WDHDD 2TB, Dell P2715Q 4K/UHD @60Hz, Samsung T27A300 1080p @60Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fractal Design Define R6 with x3 Corsair 140mm ML fans, SeaSonicXP2 860w, Corsair K70 RGB MK2, SteelSeries Rival 600, Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 17:00:55 (permalink)
panzlock
HeavyHemi

My reference was to the proposed notion of closing this thread to end speculation. Thinking I actually meant that the closing down of this thread, to me, means that anything discussed thus far was authentic in any way is definitively absurd. I am, in fact, one of the people personally advocating my potential speculation errors pertaining to this discussion. But since you bring up "inference" you may wish to familiarize yourself with the merchandising slogan attached to the iCX product.

Funny that you brought up inference when it suits your argument. Do you not feel that marketing phrase infers current ACX 3.0 coolers are not safe?

Feel? Personally I thought it was a bit dumb to put that phrase in the marketing. I, as a ordinary person being aware the previous 'uproar' over the 'exploding GPU's', would have not have come with a mile of reminding or hinting there was a safety issue by using that phrase.  I don't think the phrase makes an inference. That is left up to the reader.  Strictly speaking the issue wasn't about the cooler. It was about impressions and expectations because of the VRM temps being higher on certain models. If EVGA has simply said 'yes the VRM do run warmer under load. This is due to our design choice of lower fan speed and lower noise'. The solution would be, as in the past,  using Precision or Afterburner if you wanted lower temps. What happened was the internet echo machine, where one example of VRMs burning up, becomes OMG****BBQ the GTX 1080 almost set my house on fire! That, isn't even an exaggeration.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 17:03:46 (permalink)
hapkiman
emsir
imricko99
To those people who back EVGA about this ICX being a new cooler with enhanced feature and not to make the original FTW being put at the corner, is there any Asus STRIX2? Is there any Gigabyte G1 Gaming 2 / Windforce OC 2? Is there any MSI Gaming X2 / Z2 / Quicksilver 2? Is there any Zotac AMP Extreme 2? Is there any Palit Super Jetstream 2 / Gamerock 2? Is there any KFA2 HOF2?

The answer is no because their coolers are not flawed. Doesn't matter whether EVGA said the ACX 3.0 cooler is not flawed even without thermal pads or not, the moment something is out of the factory and the company realize they miss out on something only after the product hits the market, then it is a flawed product.

Wrong! Will there be STRIX GTX TI? GIGABYTE G1 TI? Windforce OC2 TI? Quicksilver 2 TI? Zota AMP EXTREME TI?...and other brands TI?  The ANSWER IS yes, BECAUSE IT IS EXPECTED!
EVGA has chosen to name their new card "2". Nothing wrong with that. If EVGA named their new card TI, no one would have said anything.  And we all know EVGA. They listened to the critics and made major impovement to the cooling feature and a new backplate. You should be happy that engineers make better hardware. 

The upcoming "Ti" series are completely different cards based on a different GPU than the 1070/1080.  I think emsir's point is quite valid.  No other company has released a second model of the exact same card like a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X-2 for instance.  It is unusual for EVGA to do this, and the fact that it is coincidentally released right after the whole thermal pad, BIOS update fiasco just adds to the frustration of owners of an ACX type 1070 or 1080.  This is not a case of a brand new card being released and EVGA just deciding to call it FTW2, having no correlation to the said problem of the FTW (1).  I have a hard time believing that one.    

Didn't EVGA do something similar regarding the 970?

panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 17:34:00 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
I don't think the phrase makes an inference. That is left up to the reader.

So, based on your synopsis...I make a statement and there's an inference...EVGA makes a statement and there is no inference......Lol. Brilliant.

As for the internet, it can be a vicious machine of speculation and unwarranted conduct. Let me again point out (as another member did in another thread) EVGA is not the only OEM experiencing catastrophic VGA failures. MSI had similar misfortunes with their offerings. However, if you carry out some thorough probing you'll find that EVGA cards experienced many more of these and other deficiencies in general.

So far Gigabyte seems to be suffering the least. Mind you I haven't heard a lot about ZOTAC but that card is probably the ugly duckling out of the bunch, if you ask me.

HeavyHemi
The solution would be, as in the past,  using Precision or Afterburner if you wanted lower temps. What happened was the internet echo machine, where one example of VRMs burning up, becomes OMG****BBQ the GTX 1080 almost set my house on fire! That, isn't even an exaggeration.

People don't want a higher fan curve and increased dB levels. You do remember the ACX 3.0 being marketed as a quiet offering, yes? That defeats the purpose and again pushes consumers away from EVGA into the open arms of competing companies.

And that last sentence is ABSOLUTELY an exaggeration.
hapkiman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 17:35:50 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
hapkiman
emsir
imricko99

No.  I realize there were several different models of the GTX 970 such as the SC, the SSC, the FTW, Armor, and Hybrid.  But no SC-2, or FTW-2 970.

Intel Core i9-9900k, Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 @3466MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC2 Ultra, MSI MEG Z390 ACE, Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, WDHDD 2TB, Dell P2715Q 4K/UHD @60Hz, Samsung T27A300 1080p @60Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fractal Design Define R6 with x3 Corsair 140mm ML fans, SeaSonicXP2 860w, Corsair K70 RGB MK2, SteelSeries Rival 600, Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.
VooDooPC
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 17:41:28 (permalink)
hapkiman
HeavyHemi
hapkiman
emsir
imricko99

No.  I realize there were several different models of the GTX 970 such as the SC, the SSC, the FTW, Armor, and Hybrid.  But no SC-2, or FTW-2 970.

They did have a GTX 970 SC ACX and a GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0. The ACX 2.0 being an updated cooler.

GTX 970 SC ACX:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=2E9434CA-EF02-4035-9F3E-28F7B585E75C

GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=8296b494-5d1d-400d-b2e8-d00ccd71e088
panzlock
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 17:48:44 (permalink)
VooDooPC
They did have a GTX 970 SC ACX and a GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0. The ACX 2.0 being an updated cooler.

GTX 970 SC ACX:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=2E9434CA-EF02-4035-9F3E-28F7B585E75C

GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=8296b494-5d1d-400d-b2e8-d00ccd71e088

Was the ACX 2.0 in response to a defect in the ACX?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 17
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile