EVGA

Answeredgaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Author
brenansalgado
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/10 21:52:45 (permalink)
Bad news: I opened up my GTX 1070 FTW DT to check for these gaps and yes there were gaps on virtually all VRAM pads. Only 2 pads were touching the VRAM chips and only by a little bit of the corner. You can tell how it looks like if there was actual contact by looking at the thin thermal pad on one of the pictures.

Good news: I didn't wait for thermal pads from EVGA for the VRMs or VRAM etc and got my own (Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad 17 w/mk 100 x 15 x 1.5mm) and cut them up to 15x12mm portions. After putting them on my VRAM (the dots on them are from where I pushed them to make them stick to the vram) and placing the original 1mm VRAM pads onto the VRMs (there are enough to cover the VRMs) I put everything back together. I used Noctua thermal paste on the GPU. MY TEMPERATURES DROPPED 10-12C. I used to idle at 43-45C and playing Battlefield 1 would get me to about 63-65C (using Precision X). Now my idle temperature is 30C and Battlefield 1 temperature is 45-54C. I doubt the Noctua thermal paste explains the huge difference because the original paste looked like it was good paste with good spread. I think the VRAM thermal pad gaps were causing heat from the VRAM chips to soak into the GPU.

I'm still missing the thermal pad for the backplate but I feel so much more at ease knowing that the VRAM is being cooled now and the GPU is operating closer to the temperature range it should be at. 

Other news: Got the powerlink in the mail today! Woot! Thanks EVGA! Just hurry it up with the thermal pads, etc please so I can get back to overclocking my card!
post edited by brenansalgado - 2016/11/10 22:42:59

Attached Image(s)

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 232
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/10 22:56:01 (permalink)
brenansalgado
Bad news: I opened up my GTX 1070 FTW DT to check for these gaps and yes there were gaps on virtually all VRAM pads. Only 2 pads were touching the VRAM chips and only by a little bit of the corner. You can tell how it looks like if there was actual contact by looking at the thin thermal pad on one of the pictures.

Good news: I didn't wait for thermal pads from EVGA for the VRMs or VRAM etc and got my own (Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad 17 w/mk 100 x 15 x 1.5mm) and cut them up to 15x12mm portions. After putting them on my VRAM (the dots on them are from where I pushed them to make them stick to the vram) and placing the original 1mm VRAM pads onto the VRMs (there are enough to cover the VRMs) I put everything back together. I used Noctua thermal paste on the GPU. MY TEMPERATURES DROPPED 10-12C. I used to idle at 43-45C and playing Battlefield 1 would get me to about 63-65C (using Precision X). Now my idle temperature is 30C and Battlefield 1 temperature is 45-54C. I doubt the Noctua thermal paste explains the huge difference because the original paste looked like it was good paste with good spread. I think the VRAM thermal pad gaps were causing heat from the VRAM chips to soak into the GPU.

I'm still missing the thermal pad for the backplate but I feel so much more at ease knowing that the VRAM is being cooled now and the GPU is operating closer to the temperature range it should be at. 

Other news: Got the powerlink in the mail today! Woot! Thanks EVGA! Just hurry it up with the thermal pads, etc please so I can get back to overclocking my card!

what do you mean by "placing the original 1mm VRAM pads onto the VRMs (there are enough to cover the VRMs) I put everything back together"???
did you change the stock vrm pads? or you put stock vram pads on top of the stock vrm pads? 
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/10 22:58:19 (permalink)
i am using noctua h1 too, but evga thermal paste is not bad at all, i doubt the improvement of gpu temp is related to the vram and vrm temp.

brenansalgado
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/10 23:07:05 (permalink)
I took the 1mm thermal pads that are placed on the front plate for VRAM chips and placed them side-by-side on the VRMs. The VRMs are the problem area that EVGA originally sent out these thermal pads for. The VRMs originally don't have any thermal pads at all. I put the new 1.5mm thermal pads that I bought and placed them on the VRAM.
post edited by brenansalgado - 2016/11/10 23:09:25
brenansalgado
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/10 23:11:43 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
i am using noctua h1 too, but evga thermal paste is not bad at all, i doubt the improvement of gpu temp is related to the vram and vrm temp.

I don't know what else could explain the difference though. The temperatures I took were within one hour of each other. If the heat from the VRAM chips weren't getting transferred to the front plate because of the gap, then that means the heat was getting soaked into the PCB and into the GPU. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me. The VRAM chips surround the GPU so since they generate heat, they had nowhere else to place that heat.
atm743
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/10 23:56:08 (permalink)
brenansalgado
I took the 1mm thermal pads that are placed on the front plate for VRAM chips and placed them side-by-side on the VRMs. The VRMs are the problem area that EVGA originally sent out these thermal pads for. The VRMs originally don't have any thermal pads at all. I put the new 1.5mm thermal pads that I bought and placed them on the VRAM.

what do you mean the vrm's didnt originally have any thermal pads? your 4th picture shows the vrm pad. the pads they sent out are for the chokes and for the back plate for under the vrm's (to touch the backplate) 

Intel Core I9 9900K @ 5ghz 
Gskill 32GB (2X16) DDR4 @3200mhz 
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hydrocopper
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER 
Fractal Design DEFINE S
Corsair RM750 Gold PSU 
Asus PG27UQ 4K 144hz HDR G-Sync monitor 
EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Nickel + Plexi 
EK D5 Vario X-RES 140
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360
Bitspower Black Sparkle 3/8" (5/8") Fittings
Zheiroh
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/11 02:24:25 (permalink)
Still at "awaiting shipment". This is getting ridiculous.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/11 03:08:14 (permalink)
brenansalgado
acxcoolerssuck

I don't know what else could explain the difference though. The temperatures I took were within one hour of each other. If the heat from the VRAM chips weren't getting transferred to the front plate because of the gap, then that means the heat was getting soaked into the PCB and into the GPU. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me. The VRAM chips surround the GPU so since they generate heat, they had nowhere else to place that heat.

how about your vrm? using stock vrm pad?? 
brenansalgado
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/11 06:02:02 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
brenansalgado
acxcoolerssuck

There is no stock VRM pad so I took the pads from the VRAM and lined them up on top of the VRMs.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/11 06:52:49 (permalink)
brenansalgado
acxcoolerssuck
brenansalgado
acxcoolerssuck

There is no stock VRM pad so I took the pads from the VRAM and lined them up on top of the VRMs.

what? no stock vrm pad??

you cant use 1mm pads on top of vrm...too thin
atm743
iCX Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/11 14:04:58 (permalink)
brenansalgadoThere is no stock VRM pad so I took the pads from the VRAM and lined them up on top of the VRMs.

what are you talking about?  this picture you posted 
http://forums.evga.com/download.axd?file=3;2580613

shows that there are vrm pads so idk where you're getting the idea that there was no vrm pads to start with 

Fractal Design DEFINE S
Corsair RM750 Gold PSU 
EK D5 Vario X-RES 140
soto_st
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/11 16:05:27 (permalink)
He is probably referring to the chokes.
You're talking about the mosfets.
Jootunn
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/14 18:36:44 (permalink)
My pads came in a little under a week going from California to Massachusetts:

UPDATE:
Installed all the pads, there is great contact across all surfaces, and the VRAM pads are more than thick enough. No picture since I don't have a camera that can properly capture the image.
post edited by Jootunn - 2016/11/14 19:21:41
brenansalgado
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/14 22:54:38 (permalink)
atm743
brenansalgadoThere is no stock VRM pad so I took the pads from the VRAM and lined them up on top of the VRMs.

shows that there are vrm pads so idk where you're getting the idea that there was no vrm pads to start with 

Those are the pads for the mosfets, not the VRMs.
atm743
iCX Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/14 23:09:16 (permalink)
brenansalgado
atm743

i know mosfets are part of the vrm's  the pads that evga is giving out are for the Chokes. which is a part of the VRM system.  VRM is not just one item. its a group of componants. (chokes, mosfets, capacitor) 

Fractal Design DEFINE S
Corsair RM750 Gold PSU 
EK D5 Vario X-RES 140
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/15 00:44:18 (permalink)
atm743
brenansalgado
atm743

i know mosfets are part of the vrm's  the pads that evga is giving out are for the Chokes. which is a part of the VRM system.  VRM is not just one item. its a group of componants. (chokes, mosfets, capacitor) 

yes, it is a bit confused and evga uses "pwm" to represent the thermal pad mod

Bar81
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/15 00:59:41 (permalink)
They must have improved their shipping provider - sent 11/11 received in MN 11/14. So after many weeks it's finally done.

Intel 6700T, Thermalright Macho Zero, Asus Sabertooth Z170 S, 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, EVGA 1080 Ti SC, Samsung 850 PRO, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Kingwin Stryker 500W
atm743
iCX Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/15 01:35:55 (permalink)
Bar81
They must have improved their shipping provider - sent 11/11 received in MN 11/14. So after many weeks it's finally done.

i got mine via USPS first class mail. i live in NY and it was shipped from cali. not sure when it was shipped but either way. it didnt take long to get to me. also got the vram pads for mine so im happy :) 

Fractal Design DEFINE S
Corsair RM750 Gold PSU 
EK D5 Vario X-RES 140
Swifty_Capone
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/16 14:55:29 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it.

Good Evening & Help Please!!

Thanks for the continuous updates. I am in an awkward position as I bought a new GTX 1070 FTW for building a new rig but then ended up in hospital whilst this happened. So it is new and unboxed. ALways believed in EVGA but always bought ASUS, until now so it is of course my fault so apologies for that gents & ladies!

The Question

With the 'new' and changed cards being released by EVGA, have they had new grease applied and thermal pads prior to being shipped? As these are modified cards as it is hardware change followed by a BIOS change have you made a slight change to the actual card code itself so that people know upon buying the updated non melting cards made by EVGA which are factory shipped from EVGA compared to the EVGA DIY Card Fixes made by many, many owners and I may become one. Not sure.

Not sure if I can exchange with my supplier but I am very close to heading back to ASUS but I have always wanted to experience EVGA...Sigh.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you :)
captin360
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/16 16:34:14 (permalink)
My VRAM pads came in today and I was able to get them switched out, mind you this is after I've already installed the VRM/PWM pads. The shipper appears to have been changed which is a plus considering my last experience with the VRM/PWM pad shipment. My VRAM packet was also missing the thermal paste, but I'm not sure if this is because they assumed I'd still have the paste from the VRM/PWM packet?

For those of you doing the disassembly for the second time, here's my takeaway from the disassembly of a VRM/PWM padded 1080FTW:
-Be gentle when pulling the backplate off, lift slowly and pause every so often to allow the VRM/PWM pads to release without tearing
-The primary heatsink can be removed normally, it only touches one of the VRM/PWM pads partially
-The front plate (between the heatsink and card) was the most difficult to get to release from the card. As with the other plate, pry it away slowly and pause every so often to allow the VRM/PWM pads to release from the chips
-The VRM/PWM pads on mine remained adhered to the plates and not the chips, which is perfectly fine, just be aware when you go to set it down. Don't set the plate face down on a table, lol

Personally the VRAM pads on my 1080 barely touched the plate/chips, some were uneven and crooked leaving gaps. The old pads were noticeably thinner than the new ones and also had air bubbles under them.

Swifty_Capone
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/17 11:44:59 (permalink)

Can anyone help please? 

Good Evening & Help Please!!

Thanks for the continuous updates. I am in an awkward position as I bought a new GTX 1070 FTW for building a new rig but then ended up in hospital whilst this happened. So it is new and unboxed. ALways believed in EVGA but always bought ASUS, until now so it is of course my fault so apologies for that gents & ladies!

The Question

With the 'new' and changed cards being released by EVGA, have they had new grease applied and thermal pads prior to being shipped? As these are modified cards as it is hardware change followed by a BIOS change have you made a slight change to the actual card code itself so that people know upon buying the updated non melting cards made by EVGA which are factory shipped from EVGA compared to the EVGA DIY Card Fixes made by many, many owners and I may become one. Not sure.

Not sure if I can exchange with my supplier but I am very close to heading back to ASUS but I have always wanted to experience EVGA...Sigh.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you :)
mikedowen
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/17 14:19:34 (permalink)
Just done the thermal pad mod myself (using the EVGA kit). There appeared to be no contact what so ever with the thermal pads on the VRAM modules closest to the VRM circuitry and only partial contact with the other VRAM modules. The pads that came in the kit for the VRAM modules are definitely a bit thicker and I checked that they were making correct contact after fitting. Just looks to me like EVGA fitted thermal pads on the VRAM modules that were not thick enough!

So I can only reiterate what others have said... and suggest that you do fit these pads.
Bar81
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/12/05 07:34:22 (permalink)
Just did the thermal mod. 4 chips were making no contact, one had an edge barely in contact and the other three had half contact. What a mess.

Intel 6700T, Thermalright Macho Zero, Asus Sabertooth Z170 S, 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, EVGA 1080 Ti SC, Samsung 850 PRO, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Kingwin Stryker 500W
Axeli
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2017/01/21 14:33:00 (permalink)
http://imgur.com/a/uleoP

Wuhoaa...Im happy now  6837 vs 7139 points in Time Spy (2,025 MHz vs 2,126 MHz)
post edited by Axeli - 2017/01/21 14:35:28
LasseK1981
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2018/12/02 23:08:14 (permalink)
Reseating the block and make everything nice, good contact, better pads etc.. can DEFINITELY do miracles!

I have 2080 ti with EKWB and its was seated wrong to begin with due to wrong screws.. had load temps on 85-88 .. now after corrections and reseat 60 max..

However I have a coil whine issue now..( I dident have one with FE stock cooler) I suspect and are pretty sure there are poor contact with MOSFETs and I will try to remove the 1.0mm pads for coils as it was not how it should be originally rev.1    I do suspect that the block dont seat properly due to an "suddenly" 1.0mm pads add when the block is the same and carefully machined.. 
LasseK1981
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2018/12/02 23:10:22 (permalink)
1.0 mm VRM/MOSFET thermal pads are pretty much standard? Most cards use 1.0mm and 1.5 back and 0.5 Vram .. Mine new 2080 Ti also does that.. 
Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile