Author
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/10/28 02:47:31 (permalink)
5/11 lastest update to this issue by jacob (#90 at page 3):

1. if your request status is awaiting then new extra pads will be included too.
2. if you have got the pads already please contact evga support to get the new extra pads.

sorry for my poor english.
i am using arctic aio to cool my evga ftw. i removed the mid plate as the mid plate blocks the aio mounting. However my mosfets heatsinks has been falling down, and evga doesnt sell me the vrm heatsink in evga ftw hybrid, therefore i have no choice but to put the mid plate back (with some mod) and stick those heatsinks on top of the mid plate. I found the gpu temp is higher than before and i guess it is because the vrm cooling is worse than before. but that is not the point.
the main point is that: i have the same vram overclocking at 2300mhz as before with new bios. But after using the mid plate back, my card has started to artifact. so i think it should be related to vram cooling... and i check them out and the result... :

you guys should take a good look about yours.
i wonder this is the only issue to me so i want to remind everyone to check yours out. 
it would be great if you can upload photos of yours here and i will post at #1 for you.

http://forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921-p9.aspx #258
 1080 FTW

http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?fid=62&tid=2332327&extra=&page=1 #1
1080 FTW

related discuusion on reddit with more photos and details:
https://www.reddit.com/r/...wo_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/
post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2016/11/06 04:47:42
DSP1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 04:16:28 (permalink)
What do you have the Memory clock set to?
I think you mean you have the Core clock set to 2300, don't you?

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 04:32:41 (permalink)
DSP1

2300mhz memory clock.
DSP1
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 04:36:10 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1

2300mhz memory clock.

What are you using to set it up? Precision X or AB?
What are your Offsets?

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 04:40:27 (permalink)
DSP1
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1

2300mhz memory clock.

What are your Offsets?

+600mhz on msi afterburner before. 2300=4600=9200
now i dont have balls to overclock the memory clock, reset to 0 offset.
DSP1
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 04:46:54 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1

2300mhz memory clock.

What are your Offsets?

+600mhz on msi afterburner before.

Ok. Then you had Memory OCed to 5600 or 112000.
What is your other offset? The Core clock.
And you weren't getting artifacts at that setting when you had the midplate off, but now since putting the midplate back after your mod, you see the artifacts?
First thing I would do is lower your offset to 550 and see if you get the artifacts.
The gaps you report may be due to the fact you clipped the 4 tabs off the cutout so that you could mount your pump, should have used shims as those four tabs help hold the middle of the plate snug I would guess.
In which case you should look for thicker thermal pads to replace the stock ones with.
post edited by DSP1 - 2016/10/28 04:50:36

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 05:01:43 (permalink)
DSP1
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1

2300mhz memory clock.

What are your Offsets?

+600mhz on msi afterburner before.

Ok. Then you had Memory OCed to 5600 or 112000.
What is your other offset? The Core clock.
And you weren't getting artifacts at that setting when you had the midplate off, but now since putting the midplate back after your mod, you see the artifacts?
First thing I would do is lower your offset to 550 and see if you get the artifacts.
The gaps you report may be due to the fact you clipped the 4 tabs off the cutout so that you could mount your pump, should have used shims as those four tabs help hold the middle of the plate snug I would guess.
In which case you should look for thicker thermal pads to replace the stock ones with.

maybe the problem is due to my mod. i will look for thicker thermal pads.
i also saw someone reported the same problem in another "back hot pcb layout" thread. 
DSP1
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 05:06:33 (permalink)
Trying to fix the heat issue is all well and good but I think if you just lower your Mem offset to 500 your artifact issue will go away. That decrease from 600-500 will only result in the loss of 1 FPS approx.And it may even improve your Bench scores.

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 05:08:47 (permalink)
DSP1
Trying to fix the heat issue is all well and good but I think if you just lower your Mem offset to 500 your artifact issue will go away. That decrease from 600-500 will only result in the loss of 1 FPS approx.And it may even improve your Bench scores.

yes, it is easy to fix but i wonder this is the only issue to me so i want to remind everyone to check this out. 
lower core clock may improve the benchmarks but higher memory clock definitely helps the benchmarks.

http://forums.evga.com/ba...0-FTW-m2565921-p9.aspx
post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2016/10/28 05:14:55
Emwun Garand
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 09:56:38 (permalink)
One of my cards has a noticeable gap between the pads and memory, the other does not. I plan on doing a heavy gaming session this weekend to see if any of the issues pop up on either card. 
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 10:02:04 (permalink)
Emwun Garand
One of my cards has a noticeable gap between the pads and memory, the other does not. I plan on doing a heavy gaming session this weekend to see if any of the issues pop up on either card. 

would you mind to take a photo on that and upload it here?
DSP1
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 13:17:11 (permalink)
Emwun Garand

Read this first before you try to over stress your cards. Wait for thermal pads!
http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2661-evga-mosfet-failure-possible-from-thermal-runaway-scenario
EVGA are going to replace any card the owner doesn't want totry and fix themselves.

earlyapex
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 14:01:44 (permalink)
yeah right, thats not the impression I have gotten from evga support. I've been asking for an rma with thermal pads installed by them and they haven't said they will do it. I had to quote posts from their own reddit page where they say they will add them to rma cards. Still no dice!
I'm going around in circles emailing support.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 21:26:56 (permalink)
DSP1
Emwun Garand

Read this first before you try to over stress your cards. Wait for thermal pads!
http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2661-evga-mosfet-failure-possible-from-thermal-runaway-scenario
EVGA are going to replace any card the owner doesn't want totry and fix themselves.

the pads request is for the back plate...but the problem we are talking is the mid plate pads failure too... 
shannonjpower
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 22:06:43 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1
Emwun Garand

the pads request is for the back plate...but the problem we are talking is the mid plate pads failure too... 

Both problems are for the mid plate but on different sides (the component side of the mid plate and the heatsink side of the mid plate).

From my understanding the pad EVGA are supplying will go between the mid plate and the heatsink, breaching the void and allowing heat to transfer from the plate itself to the heatsink.

And on the other side of the mid plate some people are finding the thermal pads covering the memory aren't making contact with the mid plate itself.

Either way both problems aren't allowing for optimal heat transfer and I'd avoid putting your card under extreme loads. Especially if you have a gap between the memory and mid plate because there is nothing at all cooling it.
post edited by shannonjpower - 2016/10/28 22:11:25
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 22:33:56 (permalink)
shannonjpower
acxcoolerssuck
DSP1
Emwun Garand

Both problems are for the mid plate but on different sides (the component side of the mid plate and the heatsink side of the mid plate).

From my understanding the pad EVGA are supplying will go between the mid plate and the heatsink, breaching the void and allowing heat to transfer from the plate itself to the heatsink.

And on the other side of the mid plate some people are finding the thermal pads covering the memory aren't making contact with the mid plate itself.

Either way both problems aren't allowing for optimal heat transfer and I'd avoid putting your card under extreme loads. Especially if you have a gap between the memory and mid plate because there is nothing at all cooling it.

thats what i am worrying about. the most important part should be the contact between mosfets & vram and the cooling plate.

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/28 22:42:58 (permalink)
DSP1
Emwun Garand

we need thicker pads to replace the stock pads......this is the most essential part..
TPI_The_Axeman
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 00:48:24 (permalink)
I've just pulled apart my replacement FTW 1080 and taken some photos, as i thought I saw a gap between memory chip and thermal pad.

Here it is, thermal pads are clean and unblemished by chip indents. 

Looks like I'll be submitting another RMA....

Attached Image(s)

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 00:57:39 (permalink)
TPI_The_Axeman
I've just pulled apart my replacement FTW 1080 and taken some photos, as i thought I saw a gap between memory chip and thermal pad.

sorry to hear that, could you upload yours photo of the gap here?
maybe waiting for evga to send thicker pads for replacement is better choice. 
rma costs the shipping fee and time....
Xfade81
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 19:14:32 (permalink)
TPI_The_Axeman

I see dents but ok. Another user creating his own problem.
shannonjpower
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 21:09:16 (permalink)
Xfade81

Hard to see but I see most with contact but mainly one without.

On the left hand memory row the top pad clearly has contact as its pretty uniform and looks slightly compacted. But in the same row that bottom one does look like it's not making any contact. You can tell by the lighting reflections and the pad having a convex shape to it. If it was making contact it would be either flat or have a concave rectangular shape where the memory module has created a dent in the pad itself. In simple terms it wouldn't be bubbling outwards.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 21:28:02 (permalink)
shannonjpower
Xfade81

Hard to see but I see most with contact but mainly one without.

On the left hand memory row the top pad clearly has contact as its pretty uniform and looks slightly compacted. But in the same row that bottom one does look like it's not making any contact. You can tell by the lighting reflections and the pad having a convex shape to it. If it was making contact it would be either flat or have a concave rectangular shape where the memory module has created a dent in the pad itself. In simple terms it wouldn't be bubbling outwards.

maybe you should post a photo here to support what you claim could be true.
Victim blaming
shannonjpower
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 21:35:29 (permalink)
Are you quoting and asking me or Xfade81? You've quoted us both so not sure who you're referring to and I think my post is pretty self explanatory using the photo supplied.
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 21:37:25 (permalink)
TPI_The_Axeman

I find it difficult to believe none of them make contact. 1 or 2 maybe.

CPU:  Intel 486 DX2. 66Mhz (Turbo). Cooling: LN2.
MTB: ECS. Chipset: SIS. HD: WD Raptor 300mb x 512. 154GB. Raid 0.
RAM: Corsair Obliterator Gold. EDO. 16mb. 66mhz. x8.
GPU:  Nvidia GTX Riva TNT2 FTW OC. PCI. 32mb. x4 Quad SLI.
PSU:  ATX 200 watt (no label). Case: RGB Milk Crate.

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 21:58:16 (permalink)
shannonjpower
Are you quoting and asking me or Xfade81? You've quoted us both so not sure who you're referring to and I think my post is pretty self explanatory using the photo supplied.

this is a indirect approach to see whether the pads are fully contacted with vram. 
however taking phoho from the top can only see three top vram chips... the rest are hard to check when heatsink and midplate are installed.
all these stock pads should be 1mm thick but clearly it is not enough to ensure all vram chips being cooled by the midplate.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 22:01:37 (permalink)
NucleusX
TPI_The_Axeman

I find it difficult to believe none of them make contact. 1 or 2 maybe.

i dont think even only 1 making no cantact is acceptable.
we can check this problem from the top but only 3/8 can be checked.
and if we really find it then it means the problem is quiet serious.
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 22:07:40 (permalink)
Does anyone know the actual thickness of the default pads installed ? I think I'm just gonna buy
the next size up to compensate. Its true, not all memory modules can be observed accurately.

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 22:09:34 (permalink)
NucleusX
Does anyone know the actual thickness of the default pads installed ? I think I'm just gonna buy
the next size up to compensate. Its true, not all memory modules can be observed accurately.

1mm thick, i measured them when i first disassembled the card. and evga official said it is 1mm too. 
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 22:38:12 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
1mm thick, i measured them when i first disassembled the card. and evga official said it is 1mm too. 

1.5mm it is then. If thats not what EVGA sends out, then ill keep em for spares and buy my own.

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 23:17:33 (permalink)
NucleusX
acxcoolerssuck

1.5mm it is then. If thats not what EVGA sends out, then ill keep em for spares and buy my own.

what evga is sending out about the thermal pads request is not for the stock pads replacement but rather additional pads for additional purpose. the bad contact problem is not an additional problem but it is the nature of the cooling.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile