Answeredgaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Author
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 23:27:04 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
NucleusX
acxcoolerssuck
1mm thick, i measured them when i first disassembled the card. and evga official said it is 1mm too. 

1.5mm it is then. If thats not what EVGA sends out, then ill keep em for spares and buy my own.

what evga is sending out about the thermal pads request is not for the stock pads replacement but rather additional pads for additional purpose. the bad contact problem is not an additional problem but it is the nature of the cooling.

Yeh my bad. But i think ill be replacing the memory pads with thicker ones anyways to be on the safe side.

CPU:  Intel 486 DX2. 66Mhz (Turbo). Cooling: LN2.
MTB: ECS. Chipset: SIS. HD: WD Raptor 300mb x 512. 154GB. Raid 0.
RAM: Corsair Obliterator Gold. EDO. 16mb. 66mhz. x8.
GPU:  Nvidia GTX Riva TNT2 FTW OC. PCI. 32mb. x4 Quad SLI.
PSU:  ATX 200 watt (no label). Case: RGB Milk Crate.

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 232
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 23:34:39 (permalink)
NucleusX
acxcoolerssuck
NucleusX
acxcoolerssuck
1mm thick, i measured them when i first disassembled the card. and evga official said it is 1mm too. 

1.5mm it is then. If thats not what EVGA sends out, then ill keep em for spares and buy my own.

what evga is sending out about the thermal pads request is not for the stock pads replacement but rather additional pads for additional purpose. the bad contact problem is not an additional problem but it is the nature of the cooling.

Yeh my bad. But i think ill be replacing the memory pads with thicker ones anyways to be on the safe side.

i am still waiting for evga reply. if they dont give a (Deleted for Foul Language) about this then i have to buy the pads by myself. 

the stock pads: vram pad is 1mm and vrm pad is 2mm, if i remember them correctly.
so if you are going to buy you own pads, then 1.5mm and 2.5mm respectively should be fine.

post edited by XrayMan - 2016/10/30 00:10:04
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/29 23:58:24 (permalink)

Temp locking for review.

EDIT: Reminder that Foul Language is not allowed. Warnings in the future may be issued. Thanks.

UNLOCKING
post edited by XrayMan - 2016/10/30 00:09:29

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/30 00:26:19 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
NucleusX
acxcoolerssuck
NucleusX
acxcoolerssuck

i am still waiting for evga reply. if they dont give a (Deleted for Foul Language) about this then i have to buy the pads by myself. 

the stock pads: vram pad is 1mm and vrm pad is 2mm, if i remember them correctly.
so if you are going to buy you own pads, then 1.5mm and 2.5mm respectively should be fine.

Still awaiting approval myself. I'm starting to think EVGA should redesign the ACX 3.0 and have those sent out as
replacements rather than thermal pads. Might sound extreme, but its better than a recall. It seems they've given
the base plate too much heat to deal with on its own. A 1mm piece of metal would be terrible at sinking that much
heat from both the memory modules and the VRM's, having no fins and little mass to help radiate the heat away.
post edited by NucleusX - 2016/10/30 00:33:41

CPU:  Intel 486 DX2. 66Mhz (Turbo). Cooling: LN2.
MTB: ECS. Chipset: SIS. HD: WD Raptor 300mb x 512. 154GB. Raid 0.
RAM: Corsair Obliterator Gold. EDO. 16mb. 66mhz. x8.
GPU:  Nvidia GTX Riva TNT2 FTW OC. PCI. 32mb. x4 Quad SLI.
PSU:  ATX 200 watt (no label). Case: RGB Milk Crate.

dakon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 430
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/30 00:31:44 (permalink)
So @jacob i think a response is in order on this.  In the EU you can face very harsh sanctions for this as your cooling does not cool, as it even does not touch the aluminum via the thermal pad (in basic terms).  Now on the states side, you better get ahead of this, because that simply isn't right.  And I can already see attorneys getting involved considering your issues with the 1000 series cards, and hiding the issues.

12900kf, ROG Strix z690-a Gaming, 32gb Gskill DDR4 4000, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Ae-5, Seasonic 1000 Titanium, EK 360 AIO, Corsair 680, LG 38in, AKGK7XX, Samsung NVME 2tb
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/31 00:13:18 (permalink)
First thing first I really need those pads for replacement asap
Angier_1985
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/31 05:18:17 (permalink)
As I dismantled my EVGA yesterday and I didn't see such gaps, this def. hints towards a QC issue.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/31 05:42:50 (permalink)
Angier_1985
As I dismantled my EVGA yesterday and I didn't see such gaps, this def. hints towards a QC issue.

cant tell from dismantled cooling plate, may not be accurate enough.
the most accurate method to check this problem should be taking photo with spot light from the top of the card given the cooling plate is mounted properly.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/10/31 05:55:49 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
Angier_1985

cant tell from dismantled cooling plate, may not be accurate enough.
the most accurate method to check this problem should be taking photo with spot light from the top of the card given the cooling plate is mounted properly.

If there is an impression from the VRam or VRM on the pads, there is contact. You can't get them impression without contact. Mine clearly show contact when removed the plate is removed.
Emwun Garand
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/02 09:36:18 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
Emwun Garand
One of my cards has a noticeable gap between the pads and memory, the other does not. I plan on doing a heavy gaming session this weekend to see if any of the issues pop up on either card. 

would you mind to take a photo on that and upload it here?

I just posted the full teardown of both of my cards on Reddit in r/nvidia
CoriolisAffectment
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/02 13:21:12 (permalink)
Emwun Garand
acxcoolerssuck
Emwun Garand
One of my cards has a noticeable gap between the pads and memory, the other does not. I plan on doing a heavy gaming session this weekend to see if any of the issues pop up on either card. 

would you mind to take a photo on that and upload it here?

I just posted the full teardown of both of my cards on Reddit in r/nvidia

Wow thanks.  Well, you know, I'm in my return window still but -- but, dang it, I'm a sucker for this card and really want to make it work -- since I haven't even split the plastic on the box I'm going to follow along.  I have to open my card for the pads being sent anyway...I'm going to acquire additional pads for the memory too.  As a double check, I'll need 1.5mm thickness?  And the rectangular dimensions of the in place pads are? 

Affiliate Code: 9SOE79HNPC

Below is a near live feed from my system's water loop.

stevenli1966
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 13:57:35 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck

I would like to point out that...you modded your baseplate to fit that AIO. You grinded out FOUR mounting holes that hold down the baseplate snuggly against the VRAM. Sure there are five others at the corners but its even less snug.
post edited by stevenli1966 - 2016/11/02 14:09:15
velo-x
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 14:42:55 (permalink)
My 80 FTW has gaps as well. its easy to see, just put a flashlight below the gpu and look from the top if the light goes between the vram and thermal pads. 

I didn't even blink when there was a black screen issue, didnt blink when there was a faulty vrm, didnt when VRM got hot because its within spec. but vram mem pads not touching is a sign of incompetence. 

MAXIMUS 7 HERO / i7 4790K - H110i GT / 16GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080 TI Fe/ Xonar Phoebus / XFX 850w Gold+ / WD Black 5 TB / Evolv Glass / Dell u2713HM

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 15:12:40 (permalink)
stevenli1966
acxcoolerssuck

I would like to point out that...you modded your baseplate to fit that AIO. You grinded out FOUR mounting holes that hold down the baseplate snuggly against the VRAM. Sure there are five others at the corners but its even less snug.

Very good catch on the fact that this Heatspreader was modified.  
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 15:13:20 (permalink)
velo-x
My 80 FTW has gaps as well. its easy to see, just put a flashlight below the gpu and look from the top if the light goes between the vram and thermal pads. 

I didn't even blink when there was a black screen issue, didnt blink when there was a faulty vrm, didnt when VRM got hot because its within spec. but vram mem pads not touching is a sign of incompetence. 

could you check the screws on the back of the card, and make sure they are fully tightened please?  
HungryHamster
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 16:56:34 (permalink)
Another MAJOR issue with EVGA GTX 1080 FTW...
This is really getting out of hand. I hope significant changes will be made and a full recall will be put into action. This is not what we deserve from premium EVGA products.
stevenli1966
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 17:11:12 (permalink)
1080 FTW here, no gaps.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 18:41:53 (permalink)
For those with gaps, submit a support ticket to have the card replaced. There should not be gaps.

Personally, I would think this is probably standoffs with and incorrect height. I know the first card had the heatspreader modified, which is never a good idea, but a few others are seeing the same issue.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 18:52:53 (permalink)
stevenli1966
acxcoolerssuck

you are right but still more and more users (with no mod at all) report the same issue. for what i have known only evga uses this type of method to hold down the cooling plate. msi gamingx/ inno3d ichill/ galax hof all use cooling plate to cool vram and vrm but none of them have that four mounting holes evga has. but i personally think this evga cooling plate is mainly for preventing users to change the cooler. if you take the cooling plate off you should fine the plate is pretty solid so i dont think my mod makes the plate being bent. 

and actually i can choose not to reveal i have modded the plate in the beginning. of course i am not the first one in this forum report this problem.

post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2016/11/02 18:57:02
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 19:02:01 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
For those with gaps, submit a support ticket to have the card replaced. There should not be gaps.

Personally, I would think this is probably standoffs with and incorrect height. I know the first card had the heatspreader modified, which is never a good idea, but a few others are seeing the same issue.

i dont intend to mod the plate. i asked for another vrm heatsink by evga. i have no choice. and the plate is not user friendly at all. not to mention the cooling performance of the plate.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 21:08:42 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
Scarlet-Tech

i dont intend to mod the plate. i asked for another vrm heatsink by evga. i have no choice. and the plate is not user friendly at all. not to mention the cooling performance of the plate.

How is a solid piece of aluminum supposed to be user friendly? Please explain that one so I can understand.

The cooling performance requires air to flow across it. If you remove the air. Movement from any of the other brands you mention, their card would overheat too. Unfortunately (and I said this months ago) EVGA decided to make the card "silent" and set the fan speed so low that the air can not flow through the fins to the plate.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 21:21:13 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
acxcoolerssuck
Scarlet-Tech

How is a solid piece of aluminum supposed to be user friendly? Please explain that one so I can understand.

The cooling performance requires air to flow across it. If you remove the air. Movement from any of the other brands you mention, their card would overheat too. Unfortunately (and I said this months ago) EVGA decided to make the card "silent" and set the fan speed so low that the air can not flow through the fins to the plate.

I mean users can't install third party cooler on evga cards without removing the cooling plate . Actually even evga hybrid cooler can't be installed on evga cards with the plate. And removing the cooling plate also means the back plate can't be mounted too, you should know that as I saw your guide post.

The plate is solid, so it wont be bent easily.

Other brands cooling plate has micro fins on the plate while evga hasn't. Evga is not the only one using cooling plate but those reviews show clearly that evga cooling plate is much worse than other brands plates. Although evga plate can keep the vrm temp under 100c in gaming meaning the plate is enough for cooling purpose and maintaining the vrm rating at 35a.
HungryHamster
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 23:07:12 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

From reading through the reddit post that blew up today, this actually seems like quite the prevalent issue. I'm really surprised EVGA has not found it necessary to conduct a full review and come out with another public statement. I'm having the thermal pads installed by a professional and only after that is done will I know for certain if my 2x 1080 FTWs have this widely reported gap between the VRAM and the thermal pads on the mid plate. What if I get the pads installed and then find out I need more or a full RMA? I'm paying for a repair on a broken product that quite likely has even more issues.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/02 23:09:38 (permalink)
HungryHamster
Scarlet-Tech

From reading through the reddit post that blew up today, this actually seems like quite the prevalent issue. I'm really surprised EVGA has not found it necessary to conduct a full review and come out with another public statement. I'm having the thermal pads installed by a professional and only after that is done will I know for certain if my 2x 1080 FTWs have this widely reported gap between the VRAM and the thermal pads on the mid plate. What if I get the pads installed and then find out I need more or a full RMA? I'm paying for a repair on a broken product that quite likely has even more issues.

May I have the reddit link please
sahafiec
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1344
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 02:10:37 (permalink)
that's getting really ridiculous, either no thermal pads or existing ones doesn't cool properly.
what's next?! 

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/03 02:24:09 (permalink)
HungryHamster
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 02:24:56 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
HungryHamster
Scarlet-Tech

Yes, here it is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

Many people are reporting a similar issue. This is obviously not an issue that is just confined to a few cases, but EVGA sure is pretending like it is. They need to come clean and perform a full recall.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 02:42:57 (permalink)
HungryHamster
acxcoolerssuck
HungryHamster
Scarlet-Tech

Yes, here it is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5aqjvb/so_i_disassembled_my_two_evga_gtx_1080_ftws/

Many people are reporting a similar issue. This is obviously not an issue that is just confined to a few cases, but EVGA sure is pretending like it is. They need to come clean and perform a full recall.

i would prefer having new design of thermal pads sent by evga to fix the problem by myself.
rma/recall/refund is not fun for me... even no shipping fee, time is still wasted... although fixing the problem by myself will take us some time too....
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 03:21:52 (permalink)
HungryHamster
acxcoolerssuck
HungryHamster
Scarlet-Tech

Yes, here it is:

lol i saw a guy called evga lee in reddit actively offers rma with 100% brand new card return to op because op bought the card within 30days.  
thicker pads should fix the problem so if card returned is not 100% brand new then i think rma is not worth to do it.
post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2016/11/03 04:15:05
velo-x
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 04:07:06 (permalink)
he offers him brand new cards because he is in the 30 day purchase window. people need to read or think what they read.

MAXIMUS 7 HERO / i7 4790K - H110i GT / 16GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080 TI Fe/ Xonar Phoebus / XFX 850w Gold+ / WD Black 5 TB / Evolv Glass / Dell u2713HM

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile