Answeredgaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 07:53:34 (permalink)
This is a joke! I just got my RMA back for black screen issue and now I ordered the pads. BUT the pads shipped on 10/31 and don't include the memory pads. THIS IS RIDICULOUS ! What do I do now? Do I just RMA ?
Legacy-ZA
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 07:54:10 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it.

I am currently on "Awaiting Shipment" does this mean I will get my VRAM Thermal Pads? It's not very specific, is EVGA waiting for a pickup or am I waiting for a delivery?
BrandonS
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 678
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 08:26:07 (permalink)
For anyone that ordered and received the thermal pad kit before we started adding the memory pads, please contact us and we can assist. TheGuz4L, I'll be sending you an e-mail and setting up the request. 

Legacy-ZA, your pads are currently awaiting shipment from our warehouse, which should be done early next week. 
TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 08:31:59 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS
For anyone that ordered and received the thermal pad kit before we started adding the memory pads, please contact us and we can assist. TheGuz4L, I'll be sending you an e-mail and setting up the request. 

Legacy-ZA, your pads are currently awaiting shipment from our warehouse, which should be done early next week. 

Thanks I am waiting for your email.
Legacy-ZA
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 08:42:35 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS

Hello Brandon,

Well, I am happy to hear that. :)

However, you said "pads" I am assuming that means the VRM thermal pads as well as the VRAM thermal pads? It's just I live in South-Africa, I am pretty sure it's going to be a long wait? I just want to make sure that I get it all in one shipment, like I said in a earlier post, it's summer here and my card is getting very toasty, my card isn't overclocked yet and I am reaching temps close to the 83 degrees mark, I don't even want to know what my VRM and VRAM temperatures are at, all I can tell you I can't even touch my backplate for more than 1 second. Frankly this whole thing has me concerned and I would hate it if I have to wait another long period in order to receive VRAM thermal pads to fix my card.

Thank you for letting me know my shipment progress though. :)
Scott_W
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:01:59 (permalink)
The status of my "thermal mod" shows "shipped 10/31/2016".   JacobF posted yesterday that "starting next week" the kits would include VRAM pads, so I assumed mine (shipped 5 days ago) would not.

I contacted EVGA support last night and asked for the VRAM pads to be sent.  They responded promptly with this:
EVGA Support
At this time I believe that the system is incorrectly showing that we have shipped kits, I do not believe that any have yet. We expect those to ship in the coming weeks, starting this next week. That said the most recent information that I have received is that the kits will be sent with the VRM pads as well as the additional VRAM pads.

DarkSofter
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:27:23 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS

You still didnt say if the awaiting shipment requests will have all the pads included..
B7E5DE6E6B144E3
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:28:12 (permalink)
DarkSofter
EVGATech_BrandonS

You still didnt say if the awaiting shipment requests will have all the pads included..

would like to know this as well. since my status is still "awaiting shipment". if so, it would be really nice :)
then i wouldnt RMA my card if the additional thermal pads work.
BrandonS
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 678
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:30:02 (permalink)
According to Jacob

"Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it."

Any requests for pads that haven't shipped yet will have VRAM pads as well. 
B7E5DE6E6B144E3
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:33:24 (permalink)
thanks for the fast reply :)
DarkSofter
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:34:10 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS
According to , 

"Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it."

Thank you mate, exactly what i was looking for
Eh d0zer im from albania aswell i hope i wont get my pads next decade :p
Legacy-ZA
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 09:42:32 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS
According to Jacob

Thank you, this is what I needed to know. ^_^
SirMoh
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 10:19:25 (permalink)
This is outrageous.

First, we have issues with Micron memory (granted, this affected all AIB partners, and EVGA were one of the first to release a BIOS update).
Second, it turns out the VRMs are not being cooled at all, and the remedy to this is send out thermal pads which should have been included in the first place.
Third, we receive a BIOS update which increases the default fan speed, and some people are suggesting it's now louder than the NVIDIA Founders Edition card. 
Fourth, yet more pads are to be included because the existing memory thermal pads are not actually touching the memory chips.
Fifth, for the people who don't wish to fix the product they paid in excess of £400+ themselves, they have to RMA it with which they'll most likely get a refurbished product that they have no idea of how it's been treated in the past.

Finally, there has been ZERO consistency in the updates you have been providing. In the press release you mentioned that it only affects the VRMs, and now a forum post is suggesting memory pads are going to be included as well.

Are you paying us to do quality control or what? This is the first time I've purchased an EVGA card, and probably the last. I did it knowing that their support is excellent, and that their coolers are good, not the best, but good enough for me to forego better cooling for excellent warranty support.

post edited by SirMoh - 2016/11/05 14:30:32

1070 FTW
Legacy-ZA
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 10:38:52 (permalink)
SirMoh
This is outrageous.

First, we have issues with Micron memory (granted, this affected all AIB partners, and EVGA were one of the first to release a BIOS update).
Second, it turns out the VRMs are not being cooled at all, and the remedy to this is it include thermal pads which should have been included in the first place.
Third, we receive a BIOS update which increases the default fan speed to be louder, and some people are suggesting it's now louder than the NVIDIA Founders Edition card. 
Fourth, yet more pads are to be included because the existing memory thermal pads are not actually touching the memory chips.
Fifth, for the people who don't wish to fix the product they paid in excess of £400+ for themselves, you have to RMA it with which you'll most likely get a refurbished product that you have no idea has been treated in the past.

Finally, there has been ZERO consistency in the updates you have been providing. In the press release you mentioned that it only affects the VRMs, and now a forum post is suggesting memory pads are going to be included as well.

Are you paying us to do quality control or what? This is the first time I've purchased an EVGA card, and probably the last. I did it knowing that their support is excellent, and that their coolers are good, not the best, but good enough for me to forego better cooling for excellent warranty support.

Everyone is upset, but they are trying, I can give EVGA that much. I am sure this is a hard learned lesson for them. They will lose some customers in the future because of it, but after I cooled down, I knew for a fact that any other manufacturer wouldn't have bothered to do as much as they are doing now.

Suffice to say, I will buy EVGA again, because they do seem to care about their customers. I have to say this though; next time around, I hope to see all their products with reviewers like Guru3D that do thermal imaging on the cards and strip them naked, so I can see exactly what is actively cooled and if everything is making contact where it counts. I wasn't expecting their custom PCB FTW cards to have issues like this, so I took the plunge, my head hurts but at least my skull isn't caved in. :)

The MSi cards cooling solution is very well designed, it's why I bought it before the EVGA card, but the Micron memory gave me issues (Artifacts) from the get go and no one could tell me the answer as to what caused it, it took some time for them to get to the issue. However I did speculate what it could be and ended up being right in the end, but of course I swapped my card for the EVGA FTW long before these BIOS fixes came out that fixes the Micron memory issue.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 10:56:50 (permalink)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
degamad
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 11:38:16 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS
According to , 

What is the best way to contact you guys for this? PM, email or phone call?

I received and installed the thermal mod, but it did not have the vram pads, because I ordered the mod before they were offered, I then looked at my card after seeing this, and have the gaps between the pads and vram as well, so I'll have to tear the card down again to apply these.

EDIT: Opened a ticket, hopefully that will be enough.
post edited by degamad - 2016/11/05 11:47:53
tke899
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 11:54:36 (permalink)
Im with in my 30 day window I I
Have 2 questions. If I rma will I get a refurbished card? Will the new card have all the updated pads on it including the vram and vrm pads?
kniblock
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 11:59:51 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear ravenomega,

I am showing that your request for the Advanced RMA was received and is pending processing.  I can confirm that yes, all of these optional thermal mod updates will be applied along with the recommended VBIOS update prior to shipment.

ravenomega
EVGA_JacobF
Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it.

Wait, so will the card I just advanced RMA include this already applied?

Can you check the same for me? I placed an advanced RMA request because my card simply died a week ago on friday night with a ton of artifacts in games, and its now been 5 full business days after submitting my payment and no shipment has been sent yet. 

I want to clarify that I will be getting ALL of the thermal pad mod updates to my card and the updated vBios, then I can understand the delay. 

Sucks, because I went with EVGA after all the good stories, now im out $50-60 for advanced rma + shipping cost from toronto to cali for my old broken card. (my bank charges exchange rate fees, so itll be like +$30 cad on payment and -$30 cad on refund =[).

post edited by kniblock - 2016/11/05 12:02:36
luckyirishlad
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 12:12:02 (permalink)
evgacustomer01
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear ravenomega,

I am showing that your request for the Advanced RMA was received and is pending processing.  I can confirm that yes, all of these optional thermal mod updates will be applied along with the recommended VBIOS update prior to shipment.

ravenomega
EVGA_JacobF

Wait, so will the card I just advanced RMA include this already applied?

Properly placed and spaced thermal pads on the RAM are optional? 

NxtGenCowboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 12:22:01 (permalink)
Hope the stock shows up soon, mine have been pending shipment since the day the Thermal Pads were offered :\

Props to EVGA for at least addressing and providing a solution.  Most companies wouldnt even bother. 
Callawaaay
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 12:41:07 (permalink)
 Anyone with a trained eye that can tell if there´s a gap there?

1070 SC Gaming.

post edited by Callawaaay - 2016/11/05 12:47:08

Attached Image(s)

DarkSofter
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 12:50:58 (permalink)
Callawaaay
 Anyone with a trained eye that can tell if there´s a gap there?

1070 SC Gaming.

i see a gap on the 3rd pad there
Grzesiek86
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 12:56:02 (permalink)
Hi guys, I was thinking, wouldn't it be possible to fix the vram gap issue by adding a little bit of thermal grease on the memory chips?
Angier_1985
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 13:05:41 (permalink)
Possibly, yes. But it is definitly more adequate to use thermal pads because of the thermal transfer ratio.
Callawaaay
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 13:24:43 (permalink)
Thanks!
I see the gap now as well, took some more pictures with better angles, light and max zoom.
I see a gap on all pads now.. No contact what so ever. Thought that only the FTW-cards where affected..

Is there a admin/support here that can verify that i get the thermal pads for VRAM as well?? (ordered wed 02/11)
When is the estimated arrival (EU)? 

Why is there no official statement about this scandal as well?
And a guide for the application?
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/11/05 14:15:18
Angier_1985
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 13:31:47 (permalink)
Once you reassemble it after adding the thermal pads, gently squeeze these gaps together. as the pads are adhesive, that might already fix it.
DarkSofter
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 13:57:21 (permalink)
Callawaaay
Thanks!
I see the gap now as well, took some more pictures with better angles, light and max zoom.
I see a gap on all pads now.. No contact what so ever. Thought that only the FTW-cards where affected..

Is there a admin/support here that can verify that i get the thermal pads for VRAM as well?? (ordered wed 02/11)

they will start shipping next week. if your pads had not shipped yet and showed awaiting shipment on evga.com/thermalmod, you will get all the pads
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/11/05 14:15:41
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 14:15:01 (permalink)
Callawaaay
Thanks!

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2577330

EVGA has already acknowledged this. How is that not an official statement? There is an entire thread for everything going on, it is even pinned to the top of the forum and kept up to date. You just heave to read post one.
SirMoh
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 14:35:16 (permalink)
Legacy-ZA
Everyone is upset, but they are trying, I can give EVGA that much. I am sure this is a hard learned lesson for them. They will lose some customers in the future because of it, but after I cooled down, I knew for a fact that any other manufacturer wouldn't have bothered to do as much as they are doing now.

Suffice to say, I will buy EVGA again, because they do seem to care about their customers. I have to say this though; next time around, I hope to see all their products with reviewers like Guru3D that do thermal imaging on the cards and strip them naked, so I can see exactly what is actively cooled and if everything is making contact where it counts. I wasn't expecting their custom PCB FTW cards to have issues like this, so I took the plunge, my head hurts but at least my skull isn't caved in. :)

The MSi cards cooling solution is very well designed, it's why I bought it before the EVGA card, but the Micron memory gave me issues (Artifacts) from the get go and no one could tell me the answer as to what caused it, it took some time for them to get to the issue. However I did speculate what it could be and ended up being right in the end, but of course I swapped my card for the EVGA FTW long before these BIOS fixes came out that fixes the Micron memory issue.

I'm not sure if this is a lesson learned by them, considering the problems they had with the early 900 series cards. Luckily most retailers sell warranties these days, so you don't have to deal with manufacturers directly, which makes that argument less of a sticking point over time. *cough* Asus *cough*

I can almost guarantee that the 10xx series cards by EVGA aren't gonna be recommended by people on forums and Reddit anymore, that's for sure, which is sad, because they look nice and used to run pretty quiet.
post edited by SirMoh - 2016/11/05 14:38:05

1070 FTW
TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/05 18:01:48 (permalink)
So I got my Thermal Mod today and installed it. Obviously it didn't come with the memory pads since mine shipped before that debacle.

HOWEVER, I checked as best as I could and the memory pads seemed to be hitting the chips. I didn't open it to completely check but there were no gaps that I could see. Brandon shipped me the pads for memory today. I'll check it again when I get them.

As for the mod install, the fan wire that sits at the end of the device is impossible to get off. I almost broke the clip trying. I gave up and just did the mod without disconnecting it. Seriously be careful doing this. The side fan connector was easy to remove however.

Temps are, the same on the core before and after which is good. Ran 3dMark fire strike for 2 hours. All went well. Hopefully this is all and done with.
post edited by TheGuz4L - 2016/11/05 18:12:35
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile