EVGA

Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a month

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
rygaul44
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/21 11:57:55 (permalink)
chiefpanda
They told me 1-3 business days for the card to ship. I called on day 4 looking for answers. See if they can escalate you to their RMA department for some more info.

I try and be reasonable with vendors for stuff, but if there's gonna be a delay, I need to know about it on the front end. Once they get to the point of having my stuff beyond the initial period I was quoted, it ceases to be my problem and becomes theirs. I think that's fair.

chiefpanda
They told me 1-3 business days for the card to ship. I called on day 4 looking for answers. See if they can escalate you to their RMA department for some more info.

I try and be reasonable with vendors for stuff, but if there's gonna be a delay, I need to know about it on the front end. Once they get to the point of having my stuff beyond the initial period I was quoted, it ceases to be my problem and becomes theirs. I think that's fair.

They initially told me the same thing. I did ask if there was anything else we could do and they said not on their end. I will call again tomorrow if it doesn't ship out today. I'm starting to get pissed about it. Tomorrow makes 2 weeks without a video card. They upgraded the return shipping to 2nd day air and everything was fine because I'd have it by this weekend if their original estimate of 3 business day turnaround was true. Now it's looking like Monday if it ships out today even. Fingers crossed the replacement card actually works.

critofur
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/17 14:33:58 (permalink)
It's not OK for them to expect a customer to tolerate going for weeks without a video card because of a defective card, it just isn't. 

They need to start offering "cross shipping" as the standard method of handling RMAs if they can't manage to keep the turn-around to within a few days otherwise.
critofur
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/17 14:36:55 (permalink)
chiefpanda
richardgoncalves
chiefpanda
Annnnnnnd it's gone. Just like that. Didn't even last 2 days fresh out the box. 

Your RMA replacement is bricked?

That’s unacceptable.

Paid overnight shipping for it too. $140 both ways. (Ground+Insurance there, Overnight to me)

I'm loving my life right now. 

Customers are not responsible for RMA shipping, what are you talking about?!?!  It's EVGA's responsibility to make sure you're not spending weeks without a working card!!??!  Surely the normal procedure is for them to email you a shipping label, right???  Don't tell me they don't do that!
critofur
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/17 14:39:27 (permalink)
richardgoncalves
chiefpanda
richardgoncalves
chiefpanda

That’s unacceptable.

Paid overnight shipping for it too. $120 both ways. (Ground+Insurance there, Overnight to me)

I hear you man - it cost me $120 to ship mine back with insurance as well. Not fun ... I feel for you bud.

Hope this all gets worked out for everyone - it’s a real shame.

Why did you pay for shipping a defective card?  That's the company's responsibility!
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/17 15:11:08 (permalink)
critofur
It's not OK for them to expect a customer to tolerate going for weeks without a video card because of a defective card, it just isn't. 

They need to start offering "cross shipping" as the standard method of handling RMAs if they can't manage to keep the turn-around to within a few days otherwise.

critofur
richardgoncalves
chiefpanda
richardgoncalves
chiefpanda

That’s unacceptable.

Paid overnight shipping for it too. $120 both ways. (Ground+Insurance there, Overnight to me)

I hear you man - it cost me $120 to ship mine back with insurance as well. Not fun ... I feel for you bud.

Hope this all gets worked out for everyone - it’s a real shame.

Why did you pay for shipping a defective card?  That's the company's responsibility!

Read all about it:

Terms & Conditions

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

S3V3RI7Y
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 04:46:16 (permalink)
This is the straw that has broken my back with EVGA. I’ve seen countless black screening issues, cards dying, arcing, and artifacting all over this forum. When I’ve looked at other brands and their hardware support forums, I could not find a single post with these same issues at all. I’m not going to buy a card that has the chance of dying and MULTIPLE REPLACEMENT CARDS DYING as well. That is totally unacceptable and the step up card I’m using will be sold once I can get my hands on another card with a more stable brand. I just can’t run that risk of my PC giving me anxiety over it still running properly months down the road. This thread alone has more than pushed me towards that decision. Sorry Evga, you lost a loyal customer with your inability to address what has been going on with these cards. Hopefully you can figure out what has been going on and address it to your customer base soon, because I’m sure I’m not alone in this at all.
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 04:58:25 (permalink)
S3V3RI7Y
This is the straw that has broken my back with EVGA. I’ve seen countless black screening issues, cards dying, arcing, and artifacting all over this forum. When I’ve looked at other brands and their hardware support forums, I could not find a single post with these same issues at all. I’m not going to buy a card that has the chance of dying and MULTIPLE REPLACEMENT CARDS DYING as well. That is totally unacceptable and the step up card I’m using will be sold once I can get my hands on another card with a more stable brand. I just can’t run that risk of my PC giving me anxiety over it still running properly months down the road. This thread alone has more than pushed me towards that decision. Sorry Evga, you lost a loyal customer with your inability to address what has been going on with these cards. Hopefully you can figure out what has been going on and address it to your customer base soon, because I’m sure I’m not alone in this at all.

"All over this forum"...so a few people come in and whine and you think it's "all over"....I assure you the majority of the cards are fine...and I would bet good money that many of these people having issues
on here are having them because they use cheap crap as other parts in their system.....it's not always the Card.

I don't care what some people think of this comment (just as you shouldn't care what I think of yours). You don't buy a 2000 dollar GPU and pair it with a 100 dollar PSU, which some of these people
try to do.

Quality in, quality out. Trash in, trash out.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

S3V3RI7Y
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 05:00:46 (permalink)
And here's a thought while I'm at it... If there is any way to get one of these cards with a black screen/artifact/arcing issue into GN Steve's hands, I wonder what he might be able to learn with the team there at the GN studio. I do not know how that would affect the RMA process or warranty for that individuals card, but at this point there has to be something that is going on to make these cards fail at such a high rate with very similar symptoms all across the board... Just a thought to get EVGA's rear in gear and publicly address whaat has been going on with these cards for some time now.
S3V3RI7Y
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 05:13:45 (permalink)
transdogmifier
S3V3RI7Y

"All over this forum"...so a few people come in and whine and you think it's "all over"....I assure you the majority of the cards are fine...and I would bet good money that many of these people having issues
on here are having them because they use cheap crap as other parts in their system.....it's not always the Card.

I don't care what some people think of this comment (just as you shouldn't care what I think of yours). You don't buy a 2000 dollar GPU and pair it with a 100 dollar PSU, which some of these people
try to do.

I get your reasoning completely and agree as well, but this has been shown to be an issue on multiple posts where the customers card has been connected to EVGA's own power supplies too. Not to mention how those same people who have another series card (like a 1000 or 2000 series) have had no issues with the setup they have been running. You shouldn't have to be using the creme-de-la-creme of the gaming pc hardware out there to have a system running reliably with a high end gpu. The multiple RMA cards working and then failing after different amounts of time also doesn't really scream "my cheapo ram sticks or psu/mobo/etc. made this card fail on me". 

Just the fact that people are having over THREE rma cards dying on some really kitted out rigs is a HUGE red flag for me. As for you, I'm not gonna tell you to avoid or get some other brand at all. If you feel that this isn't a huge issue, then by all means enjoy the card you get! I just cannot continue to see such catastrophically bad cards and then will myself to stick with EVGA any longer. I think EVGA should have the chance to see that as a company and at least have the chance to address it publicly. Even if they say "do not use these cards with a lower quality psu and/or motherboard components while we investigate the current RMA issues" would go a long way for both me and other consumers about the situation at hand.
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 06:34:34 (permalink)
transdogmifier
try to do.

You seem fixated on cheap PSUs as being the issue when its been proven time and time and time again that people are having issues with their EVGA 3080 FTW3s and EVGA 3090 FTW3s when using 1000-1600 watt name brand 80+ Gold 80+ Platinum and 80+ Titanium PSUs.  At this point I almost think you are an EVGA employee trying to make the company look better or a troll.
rangerscott
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 343
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 06:56:53 (permalink)
I had to rma a brand new one. Didnt work on day 1. It was stuck at idle speed.

Second card is brand new and so far so good BUT I am starting to get "no video" black screens when I alt tab out of games I e never had a problem with before or some times when I exit a game.

Arma 3 is starting to have problems. Its hit or miss with starting the game at 1440p or 4k res. It'll fire up but look like an old crt tv with bad reception.

Ive never had such problems with a vid card and Im going back to voodoo 3 days.

Z690 Dark
Evga 3090 Hybrid
32gb Trident z5 @ 6000
Corsair RM1000X psu

asmodyus
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 834
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 07:04:57 (permalink)
transdogmifier
S3V3RI7Y

try to do.

Okay this crap and miss information needs to stop a CHEAPER POWER SUPPLY WILL NOT KILL YOUR CARD BECAUSE ITS CHEAP!! I have been building PC for retail and for home do you know how many computers I built were the power supply took out a video card 0, none. The only way any PSU can kill a part is if it drives a higher voltage than what the Video Card can take. So if it blew up and had a voltage spike during that time, then yes, it could have killed something and if did chances are it taking out the whole computer or at least most occasion the PSU. I had 2 3090 one that black screened constantly and the 2nd one that just died first card I had a 1200 watt evga, 2nd card I had the 1200 ASUS Rog and all of my other components are fine. Cards are dying but not sure if its at a high rate that people think we only see the bad one usually on forums so we have no clue how many have been sold and how many have died. But enough with stupid PSU crap.
post edited by asmodyus - 2021/03/18 07:30:14

Have a EVGA product to register? Please use my Affiliate Code when registering your product.
Click the banner to register with my Affiliate Code. Thank You Very Much!

Heatware           
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/18 07:32:28 (permalink)
everybody take a breath

there has not been any official word ... about any root cause

Nvidia hits new highs in GPU sales as Ampere dominates AMD Big Navi

Total Discrete Graphics:  (excerpt)

In total, Nvidia shipped over 9.1 million discrete graphics cards throughout 2020, with AMD achieving a total of close to 1.9 million. Exactly how many of Nvidia’s tally were Ampere GPUs isn’t known,

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ivangogh
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/21 08:31:15 (permalink)
Would love for Gamers Nexus to investigate the issue further.  For now he's taking small jabs at EVGA here and there but nothing more.  Loved the line about ease of disassembly to help out their RMA department in AMD teardown video...  or using EVGA 30-series as an example of dead card in "buying used GPU" video.  

Steve, please let us know what's going on if you ever hear more about this.

MowTin
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/21 11:05:38 (permalink)
doublegc
Audible pop and red light of death for me as well. 

I don't believe it is PSU related.  I have an Antec HX1200i and all 3 power leads were individually routed cables. Luckily I was able to swap in my 2080Ti while waiting on my RMA.

You didn't sell your 2080 ti at the inflated prices? 

I want to sell my 2080 ti but I'm worried that my 3090 FTW3 Ultra might die leaving me with no card. 

i7 9700K @ Stock
evga 3090 FTW3 Ultra
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3600
Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi
Corsair RM1000x
HP Reverb G2 / Valve Index / Quest 2
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/03/21 11:12:38 (permalink)
Cool GTX
everybody take a breath

there has not been any official word ... about any root cause

Nvidia hits new highs in GPU sales as Ampere dominates AMD Big Navi

Total Discrete Graphics:  (excerpt)

In total, Nvidia shipped over 9.1 million discrete graphics cards throughout 2020, with AMD achieving a total of close to 1.9 million. Exactly how many of Nvidia’s tally were Ampere GPUs isn’t known,

Both companies could have sold considerably more GPUs if not for various logistical reasons and semiconductor shortages. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Dexicule
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/10 22:01:24 (permalink)
I just had my FTW3 Ultra RMA after playing tons of games for a little over half a year.
It's an amazing card. However it died..
I have EVGA Super Nova p1000, which is an expensive 1000W PSU. I don't think my PSU is the issue.
I replaced with a 3080 right after the 3090 is dead, it plays perfectly.
Now I just received the RMA today, it's working awesome. 

My EVGA died playing GTA5 (actually rebooted twice before, kind of a warning sign), but none of other games. So moving forward, I lowered the power to 80% when playing this game (and other ancient titles that runs at high FPS), I think this would reduce the risk to minimum.

Lastly, EVGA's customer service is super good. I will continue to buy this brand.
But to reply the person you responded to, no I've never had other brand die on my hands before, even with lots of abusing. (MSI, Asus, Colorful, Sapphire, ...) GTX980, 770, 580 ... 8800gt ...   There is definitely something wrong with these new cards, maybe Nvidia pushed too hard this time.
liud21
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/10 22:09:33 (permalink)
Dexicule
I just had my FTW3 Ultra RMA after playing tons of games for a little over half a year.
I have EVGA Super Nova p1000, which is an expensive 1000W PSU. I don't think my PSU is the issue.

My EVGA died playing GTA5 (actually rebooted twice before, kind of a warning sign), but none of other games. So moving forward, I lowered the power to 80% when playing this game (and other ancient titles that runs at high FPS), I think this would reduce the risk to minimum.

Lastly, EVGA's customer service is super good. I will continue to buy this brand.
But to reply the person you responded to, no I've never had other brand die on my hands before, even with lots of abusing. (MSI, Asus, Colorful, Sapphire, ...) GTX980, 770, 580 ... 8800gt ...   There is definitely something wrong with these new cards, maybe Nvidia pushed too hard this time.

It's EVGA, they dropped the ball on the 3090, crappy components or something, because the other AIB 3090s ain't dying like evga's 3090s....
Dexicule
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/10 22:15:09 (permalink)
liud21
Dexicule

It's EVGA, they dropped the ball on the 3090, crappy components or something, because the other AIB 3090s ain't dying like evga's 3090s....

sigh.. yeh I sense that, unfortunately EVGA is the only one I can get at hand, at least earlier, with their queue. 
I had my hands on XC3 Ultra once and I should have kept that card, I didn't find anyone complaining about that card. 
Actually just lower the FTW3's clock to match XC3 probably makes it safe. 
demon09
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/10 22:26:38 (permalink)
I'd slap a minimal undervolt. On air cooling you can gain about the same performance with a slight undervolt and reduce the overall power draw. Any where from .900 to 1.00v is a good range. With how warm the 3080ti and 3090 both run an undervolt may not even lose any performance if it gets them off hitting there harm power limits and away from the 80c or so temp range where clocks start dropping
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/10 22:28:34 (permalink)
Dexicule
liud21
Dexicule

sigh.. yeh I sense that, unfortunately EVGA is the only one I can get at hand, at least earlier, with their queue. 
I had my hands on XC3 Ultra once and I should have kept that card, I didn't find anyone complaining about that card. 

Unfortunately, many users have tried undervolting, but that did not help. EVGA's 3090FTW and some 3080FTW were and are still dying. Tbh. If you do internet search, even earlier 10xx and 20xx of EVGA cards, their cards are randomly crapping out till today, even after light use opposed to other brands, seems that EVGA cards aren't built o last, they do use cheap components and from the looks of it, they went overboard with 3090FTW.

demon09
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/10 22:30:51 (permalink)
AWK16
Dexicule
liud21
Dexicule

Unfortunately, many users have tried undervolting, but that did not help. EVGA's 3090FTW and some 3080FTW were and are still dying. Tbh. If you do internet search, even earlier 10xx and 20xx of EVGA cards, their cards are randomly crapping out till today, even after light use opposed to other brands, seems that EVGA cards aren't built o last, they do use cheap components and from the looks of it, they went overboard with 3090FTW.

dang guess that extended 5 year warranty is looking like a good choice for evga cards if there prone to failure
Hotwario
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/06/11 22:35:53 (permalink)
my friend has a 3090 i think need to send him this rn
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile