EVGA

Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a month

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
w155l3r
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/15 05:12:22 (permalink)
gremlinforce007
My replacement 3080 FTW3 serial 2112 is working well so far

Happy to hear that. My third 3090 hybrid is on the way. Fingers crossed I can say the same thing when it arrives.
PatliTatti
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 10:37:12 (permalink)
Adding my experience with the 3090 FTW3 Ultra, which started off rocky and ended pretty badly. S/N is a 2012xxxx. Parts list is as follows:

CPU: 5900x
CPU cooler: Kraken Z73 360
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Auros Master
PSU: Thermaltake 850w Gold (running 3 separate cables into a triple 8 pin Lian Li Strimer extension cable)
Case: Lian Li O-11 Dynamic with a vertical GPU mount

I bought the card back in November for my build but didn’t actually start using it until mid-December once I had all the parts and the build was complete. The first sign there was a problem came up pretty quickly when I tried running Halo MCC. Video output stopped completely and was left with a black screen 2 minutes into booting the game. Initially I thought it was game specific and just completely avoided Halo altogether.

However the issue would persist when playing GTA V. It would happen 3-4 hours into a session where the video output would suddenly go black and only giving me a black display, forcing me to restart the system. Keep in mind this is at stock settings with no OC, running normal bios on the card and stock fan curves. The black screen crashes would happen about once or twice a day for the last two weeks playing GTA V. All the while I’d have no issues playing Cyberpunk 2077 and Modern Warfare/Cold War at max settings for prolonged periods of time, only GTA V and Halo.

Finally yesterday, while playing GTA V, about 2 hours into the session, the card not only crashed yet again, but a visible fire broke out near the 8 pin connector on the PCB as it crashed and smoked up my entire system. This all happened within a matter of 5-6 seconds, as the card crashed, small flame broke out, system shut down and the fire went away once the power turned off, frying the card in the process. I made sure the card had adequate airflow, as my bottom 3 fans are intake, side 3 fans are intake, and my top radiator/AIO is exhaust. Temps would rarely exceed 70 degrees on the card.

I am extremely surprised this happened and I’ve yet to check if my other components are fine yet. Will be testing this later today. Obviously I brought this up to EVGA’s attention yesterday and called them right away and currently in the process of getting an RMA approved. I’ll be attaching a photo where you can see clear signs of the PCB being burnt. I’m not even sure if I feel comfortable throwing another EVGA card in there, as I’d rather not put the rest of my components in Jeopardy again. I do want to bring this to the attention of other EVGA 3090/3080 owners, and that if you’re experiencing the card crashing, I wouldn’t wait for something like this to happen and to RMA it ASAP.

Photo:

Edit; for some reason it won’t let me add a link to the picture but I’ll keep trying.
post edited by PatliTatti - 2021/01/16 11:49:40
Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 11:43:35 (permalink)
post approved. sorry for any delay.   Will have to have 10 or so posts to post pictures.  It's a SPAM precaution on the forums.
post edited by Delirious - 2021/01/16 12:18:03

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
another-user
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 12:37:29 (permalink)
PatliTatti
Finally yesterday, while playing GTA V, about 2 hours into the session, the card not only crashed yet again, but a visible fire broke out near the 8 pin connector on the PCB as it crashed and smoked up my entire system. This all happened within a matter of 5-6 seconds, as the card crashed, small flame broke out, system shut down and the fire went away once the power turned off, frying the card in the process. I made sure the card had adequate airflow, as my bottom 3 fans are intake, side 3 fans are intake, and my top radiator/AIO is exhaust. Temps would rarely exceed 70 degrees on the card.

i had worse stability than you did, but almost the exact same thing happened to my 3090 ftw hybrid.  it kept black screening on almost every game i tried. after i underclocked it by -100mhz, then it was stabil-ish.   i played cyberpunk 2077 for an hour and it was fine.   tried out witcher 3 and it ran for about 15 mins and then black screened.  rebooted and started logging software so i could find out what was going on once and for all.  i restarted witcher 3 and lasted about 90 seconds in game when it black screened with an audible pop from my case.   rebooted again and the card arced and lit up my case from someplace by the power circuit on the card, and finally the card threw up a red light on the plug.

worst part is it took almost 20 mins to get my system to post after that.  i threw my old 1080 back in and rebooted only for the mobo to keep cycling through its boot status lights.   in the end i had to pull both sticks of ram and the system posted and told me no ram was present.   rebooted again with both sticks back in and made it to windows, and then rebooted again to re-enable xmp.

when the system finally posted the first time, it was slightly terrifying to see the "new cpu detected" notice...
post edited by another-user - 2021/01/16 12:48:14
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 12:43:55 (permalink)
PatliTatti
Adding my experience with the 3090 FTW3 Ultra, which started off rocky and ended pretty badly. S/N is a 2012xxxx. Parts list is as follows:

PSU: Thermaltake 850w Gold (running 3 separate cables into a triple 8 pin Lian Li Strimer extension cable)

I bought the card back in November for my build but didn’t actually start using it until mid-December once I had all the parts and the build was complete. The first sign there was a problem came up pretty quickly when I tried running Halo MCC. Video output stopped completely and was left with a black screen 2 minutes into booting the game. Initially I thought it was game specific and just completely avoided Halo altogether.

However the issue would persist when playing GTA V. It would happen 3-4 hours into a session where the video output would suddenly go black and only giving me a black display, forcing me to restart the system. Keep in mind this is at stock settings with no OC, running normal bios on the card and stock fan curves. The black screen crashes would happen about once or twice a day for the last two weeks playing GTA V. All the while I’d have no issues playing Cyberpunk 2077 and Modern Warfare/Cold War at max settings for prolonged periods of time, only GTA V and Halo.

I am extremely surprised this happened and I’ve yet to check if my other components are fine yet. Will be testing this later today. Obviously I brought this up to EVGA’s attention yesterday and called them right away and currently in the process of getting an RMA approved. I’ll be attaching a photo where you can see clear signs of the PCB being burnt. I’m not even sure if I feel comfortable throwing another EVGA card in there, as I’d rather not put the rest of my components in Jeopardy again. I do want to bring this to the attention of other EVGA 3090/3080 owners, and that if you’re experiencing the card crashing, I wouldn’t wait for something like this to happen and to RMA it ASAP.

Photo:

Edit; for some reason it won’t let me add a link to the picture but I’ll keep trying.

"I do want to bring this to the attention of other EVGA 3090/3080 owners, and that if you’re experiencing the card crashing, I wouldn’t wait for something like this to happen and to RMA it ASAP."
Just so you aware, this what you dealing with isn't new. Go back weeks or months ago  and recent threads and ton of users that are spread throughout forum complaining about the same and more.
post edited by AWK16 - 2021/01/16 12:48:09
Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 13:14:24 (permalink)
post approved

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
Gogod2020
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 13:35:59 (permalink)
AWK16
]I do want to bring this to the attention of other EVGA 3090/3080 owners, and that if you’re experiencing the card crashing, I wouldn’t wait for something like this to happen and to RMA it ASAP."
Just so you aware, this what you dealing with isn't new. Go back weeks or months ago  and recent threads and ton of users that are spread throughout forum complaining about the same and more.

What the fellow here says guys: I’m on my second card now (thank God it’s working fine) and I must tell you the difference is night and day. So no, problems with the card start right away. My first (faulty) card was revving the fans up and down uncontrollably since the first time I powered on my PC. I was unsuspecting and kept going because hey it’s a new card perhaps that’s how 3080 sounds (like jet engine). 2-3 days later black screens started. First time I didn’t think it was an issue but benchmarked. Benchmark went well but with the horrible jet engine sound. And then black screens became more and more prevalent.

The GPU should be working perfect out of the box. Anything less than that is an issue at hand and I would strongly suggest to not wait until it becomes very bad.

Still I would also like to urge everyone to do the following:

1. Get a big fat reputable PSU preferably OVER 750W.
2. Do NOT daisy chain or use the daisy chain cables at all. Just respect your new GPU and don’t.
3. Don’t go haywire with the nvidia or PX1 updates. If your system is working disable update prompts and live happily ever after do not test whether a driver update can give you problems when you don’t have problems.

GOOD LUCK!

Intel Core 10700K, Z490 Aorus Elite AC v.1.0, GSkill 32GB 3000/CL14, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair HX1200, Dell S2721DGF, DRP4, Be Quiet SW3 140mm pwm high speed x4, Be Quiet 500DX, Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Samsung SATA 860 Evo 1TB
purcain1
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 14:08:58 (permalink)
I had the exact same behavior with the 3090 originally working. Then the fans ramping violently. I noticed on day 2 the card came out of sleep and everything playing on YouTube was corrupted. 

A restart fixed the issue and the card lasted another day. The third day it woke with the same corruption problems. Rebooted and used the card as normal, yet still had ramping fans during gaming. 

That night I tried to bring my pc out of sleep only to get nothing. I opened the side of my case and the gpu was acting like it was on, yet had no fans running or output to the monitor. 

I touched the card and it was scolding hot all over. My motherboard had even started to heat up including my CPU socket!

I quickly turned off my pc and with camera in hand recorded the behavior.

I switched it back on only to have fans at full q code 69 on crosshair VIII. I had switched off the rgb effect and still had no rgb.

Now I know why theres a profile which lights up red when your gpu gets hot. If I had chosen that profile maybe I would of noticed the fans not working much sooner.

I could not get the card to boot again after this. Ive chosen to RMA the card back to SCAN and I may go for the Asus models which use MLCC's instead of the combination with POSCAPS.

My card was a 2014 RED LIP.  Lasted 3 days.

This was on Seasonic Focus1000w Gold, 5950X, CrosshairVIII, 32GB.
Kylearan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 15:53:04 (permalink)
purcain1
I had the exact same behavior with the 3090 originally working. Then the fans ramping violently. I noticed on day 2 the card came out of sleep and everything playing on YouTube was corrupted. 

A restart fixed the issue and the card lasted another day. The third day it woke with the same corruption problems. Rebooted and used the card as normal, yet still had ramping fans during gaming. 

That night I tried to bring my pc out of sleep only to get nothing. I opened the side of my case and the gpu was acting like it was on, yet had no fans running or output to the monitor. 

I touched the card and it was scolding hot all over. My motherboard had even started to heat up including my CPU socket!

I quickly turned off my pc and with camera in hand recorded the behavior.

I switched it back on only to have fans at full q code 69 on crosshair VIII. I had switched off the rgb effect and still had no rgb.

Now I know why theres a profile which lights up red when your gpu gets hot. If I had chosen that profile maybe I would of noticed the fans not working much sooner.

I could not get the card to boot again after this. Ive chosen to RMA the card back to SCAN and I may go for the Asus models which use MLCC's instead of the combination with POSCAPS.

My card was a 2014 RED LIP.  Lasted 3 days.

This was on Seasonic Focus1000w Gold, 5950X, CrosshairVIII, 32GB.

This is getting sort of scary now.
This reminds me of the issue with some eVGA 1080 / Ti cards that were smoking in the same way, but while I didn't follow the threads, from what I remember that was due to bad stock thermal pad jobs--I think.

Another comment added below to the next person I replied to.
post edited by Kylearan - 2021/01/16 16:00:25
Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 15:55:02 (permalink)
PatliTatti

Photo:

Can you kindly ask eVGA if these pop / smoke issues are a result of thermal pads missing or neglected on a VRM?  or a some sort of hardware flaw with the PCB/IC's used or something causing far too much resistance on the input lines?

Did you notice any high temp thermal throttling alerts or high temps from the VRM's?  Were you looking at the VRM monitoring?  These cards have memory and VRM temp monitoring.  Not referring to the 6500C overtemp blips that started with *all* Nvidia drivers higher than 456.98 Hotfix (this driver was not affected); these would be pretty sustained high temps if the VRM's did not have proper thermal pads.  These sounds like something besides the VRM's are burning up.

If someone were willing to send a card that failed like this over to buildzoid, he would find out rather fast exactly what went wrong.
post edited by Kylearan - 2021/01/16 15:59:51
schulmaster
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 541
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 16:39:35 (permalink)
If someone's house suffers fire damage, there is gonna be a change in (product) management at EVGA.

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
RAM:
64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
Display:
27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
Storage:
2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
4TB WD Enterprise 
1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
SPU: Creative AE7 
PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
ACE165
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/16 19:23:28 (permalink)
First card was a 2014 serial red lips (3090 FTW3 Ultra), lasted a few weeks, multiple black screens before it eventually stopped displaying picture, would power on though, died about a week before xmas. Second card I've just had for 2 weeks died tonight, was a 2012 serial black lips, black screen, audible pop when i powered off the system but afterwards just had the red light, no power to it at all. Using a RM1000 psu, bought new pcie cables just incase too, first card had 2 cables with 1 chained, second card had all 3 seperate cables. Almost all crashes happened whilst either playing GTAV online or FiveM (basically the same thing) never had issues in more intensive games, Cyberpunk ect. 
exlink
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/17 11:59:38 (permalink)
Has anyone had a 3090 XC3 Ultra fail the same way these 3090 FTW3s are failing? I have a 3090 XC3 Ultra and was thinking about stepping up to a 3090 FTW3 but it sounds like I’m better off sticking with my current 3090 XC3 Ultra.
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/17 12:17:43 (permalink)
exlink
Has anyone had a 3090 XC3 Ultra fail the same way these 3090 FTW3s are failing? I have a 3090 XC3 Ultra and was thinking about stepping up to a 3090 FTW3 but it sounds like I’m better off sticking with my current 3090 XC3 Ultra.

I don't know if  we don't hear to many XC3 cards dying because not many were sold or else, but I will strongly advise you to not make the mistake by getting FTW3, you will regret it, mark my word.
exlink
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/17 12:38:06 (permalink)
AWK16
exlink

I don't know if  we don't hear to many XC3 cards dying because not many were sold or else, but I will strongly advise you to not make the mistake by getting FTW3, you will regret it, mark my word.

I haven’t seen a single red light of death report on the internet for the 3090 XC3 and by now there has to have been at least several hundred if not thousands sold between the air cooled and hybrid variants. Only saw one for the 3080 XC3 but that one was DOA. I’d imagine if it was a common problem on the XC3 we would’ve seen at least a few reports by now.

Sounds like most of the FTW3’s that suffer from the red light of death have issues most likely tied to the power delivery which is the biggest difference between the XC3 and FTW3. Most of those who witnessed the spark say it comes from close to where the power delivery components are on the FTW3; the same location where the XC3 and FTW3 differ due to the 2x vs 3x 8 pin connectors.
post edited by exlink - 2021/01/17 12:54:51
purcain1
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/17 13:20:54 (permalink)
My 3090 that failed was a XC3 Gaming Ultra 2014 Red Lip.
Saleth
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/18 15:56:02 (permalink)
I had one of the 2014 3090 FTW3 Ultra's and it died about 40 days in with the black screen. First one was from Taiwan and it was nice for overclocking with good temps. My 2nd card from the RMA is a 2012 from China with very little thermal putty on it and not that great overclock. OC scan gave it a 0 on the memory.
buttabean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/18 17:12:21 (permalink)
I noticed some strange behavior with evga precision x1 software.

I originally ran the fans with Afterburner at 75% and it seemed fine with low 60C gpu temps. I loaded up precision x1 from time and time, and it requested to update the firmware so i did. Don't hold me to this but i now noticed a gpu2 temp present that I didn't notice before. It could have been there the whole time, i'm dyslexic so I probably wouldn't have noticed it in with the memory temps. At this point I noticed that the secondary gpu temp was reporting 12-16C higher than the main gpu temp which the main gpu temp was sitting around 60C. This made me set my fans to 90% and it seems to curb the gpu2 temp to low 70c...

...BUT on two separate occasions, precision x1 shut two of the three fans completely off. Like someone moved the slider to 0. I have no preset for it to do this so it's definitely a bug and freaked me out since I use my card 24/7 for folding and such. Even with the temp limit set to 83C i saw it jump to 88C. I obviously stopped using precision x1 after that and switched back to Afterburner. People using precision x1 should keep an eye on their gpu fans if you plan to run the gpu 24/7. I wonder if this bug fried peoples cards... When I get my water block I'll do some more observations but for now "NOPE!" lol

Associate Discount Code: KQ9JGG4415FXHVQ 
schulmaster
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 541
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/18 17:19:09 (permalink)
buttabean
I noticed some strange behavior with evga precision x1 software.

I originally ran the fans with Afterburner at 75% and it seemed fine with low 60C gpu temps. I loaded up precision x1 from time and time, and it requested to update the firmware so i did. Don't hold me to this but i now noticed a gpu2 temp present that I didn't notice before. It could have been there the whole time, i'm dyslexic so I probably wouldn't have noticed it in with the memory temps. At this point I noticed that the secondary gpu temp was reporting 12-16C higher than the main gpu temp which the main gpu temp was sitting around 60C. This made me set my fans to 90% and it seems to curb the gpu2 temp to low 70c...

...BUT on two separate occasions, precision x1 shut two of the three fans completely off. Like someone moved the slider to 0. I have no preset for it to do this so it's definitely a bug and freaked me out since I use my card 24/7 for folding and such. Even with the temp limit set to 83C i saw it jump to 88C. I obviously stopped using precision x1 after that and switched back to Afterburner. People using precision x1 should keep an eye on their gpu fans if you plan to run the gpu 24/7. I wonder if this bug fried peoples cards... When I get my water block I'll do some more observations but for now "NOPE!" lol

The only reason to use X1 is if you have an EVGA card with three fan controllers(icX models), and intend to air cool with the stock shroud. If you do not, Unwinder's implementation is superior in every way, aside from the ability to monitor the icX sensor array(as it is insufficiently cooled (sometimes (either before or after mandatory day one MCU updates))).

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
RAM:
64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
Display:
27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
Storage:
2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
4TB WD Enterprise 
1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
SPU: Creative AE7 
PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
purcain1
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/18 22:50:00 (permalink)
My card died the day I updated to the latest version of precision and it updated the RGB etc...
SprayingMango
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 04:45:56 (permalink)
I got my RMA replacement 3090 FTW3 Ultra yesterday, it's serial number starts with 2114 but it has red lips. Wondering if this means anything for reliability? 2114 should be a much newer build date correct? 

Affiliate Code = I6E6SHELAX
ASUS Z690 Strix E
32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator 5600
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
WD Black 2TB PCIe 4 NVME
EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra
Corsair AX1600i PSU
Corsair 1000D 
Corsair QL120 fans x 15
Corsair H150i Pro XT
Asus PG27UQ w/ PG279Q x2
Dark360
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 05:08:48 (permalink)
Hi all,

My 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid is getting black and frozen screens, but fans dont ramp up to 100%.

The black screens just flash off and on, then back to normal.
The frozen screen results in me having to remove and replace the Displayport cable.

I raised a ticket with EVGA and after a couple of days and some troubleshooting they advised that I should return it the place of purchase (Scan in this case) as their RMA would not be able to replace the card due to stock issues.
I contacted Scan and they were happy to organize an RMA, but they would have check and test the card prior to offering a refund. (I am on the 14th day from delivery, which should means I get a no questions asked refund.)
I contacted EVGA back to confirm if I return the card to Scan will they refund the 10 Year Warranty, they didn't seem very clear on whether or not I would get one, so they advised me to raise an RMA with them.

I am totally confused now as to what I should do.
  1. Keep the card and put with the issues until more stock is available and then RMA.
  2. Return the card to Scan via RMA and see what happens (Likely refund as there is no stock).
  3. Return the card to EVGA via RMA and see what happens (Replacement card, but when??).
I have already sold my 1080Ti, so I would be without a graphics cards until I either received a new one for Scan/EVGA or I received a refund from Scan.

Other Specs:
ASUS Maximus XI Hero
8 x 8GB Corsair 3000MHz
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Corsair AX1000

Any advice would be appreciated.

Intel i5 3570K@ 4.2GHz
Noctua NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz
EVGA GTX 570 1.25GB SC /w Backplate @ 810/1620MHz cores
Raid 0: 2x Vertex 3 120GB SSD
Storage: MAXTOR 500GB 7200 RPM HDD  
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular
CoolerMaster HAF X
Win 8 x64
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 06:05:12 (permalink)
SprayingMango
I got my RMA replacement 3090 FTW3 Ultra yesterday, it's serial number starts with 2114 but it has red lips. Wondering if this means anything for reliability? 2114 should be a much newer build date correct? 

I also got serial no. 2114 with red lips (red don't mean anything but cosmetic look to me) and I had mine since Oct. 27th. I put a Hybrid kit on it 3 weeks ago and next week I an gonna be putting a waterblock on it.
post edited by badboy64 - 2021/01/19 06:22:01

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
richardgoncalves
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 06:05:19 (permalink)
SprayingMango

Hit or miss.

My replacement was 2014 red lips and it was working well.
guitarwar2411
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 16:21:07 (permalink)
My FTW3 Ultra 3080 kicked the bucket last night. Got a black screen and the fans ramped up to 100% immediately. Tried to restart my comp, but couldn't get any video and I had a lovely error light above the 1st PSU cable in the GPU. None of the RGB lit up either. Serial # 2014xxxxxx.

RIP
10/02/20 - 01/18/21
CL600
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 18:53:20 (permalink)
As I read this, I wonder if all of the cards that were sold at release are affected. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the question is not if it will break, but when will it break.
rygaul44
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 18:58:59 (permalink)
I got mine November 14th so I doubt it
lemmein
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 19:22:41 (permalink)
rygaul44

Got mine in November also still haven't had problems.
rygaul44
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 19:42:17 (permalink)
lemmein
rygaul44

Got mine in November also still haven't had problems.
mine broke 2 weeks ago lol
Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: Why are soooo many people and me having the 3090 FTW3 Ultra something die within a mon 2021/01/19 20:39:12 (permalink)
CL600
As I read this, I wonder if all of the cards that were sold at release are affected. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the question is not if it will break, but when will it break.

This is a very good question.  Reminds you of the Space Invaders death from Turing cards (2070/80/Ti) that happened due to so-called "Test escapes" (substandard components of some type being used).  There could be a design issue with the evga cards (PCB, traces, etc), low or insufficient spec or wrong spec VRM's, mosfets or some other strange IC's, and so on.  We don't know yet.  We do know that the power balancing on most Taiwan cards seems to be completely out of whack on the hardware side, causing high PCIE Slot power draw with respect to the three 8 pins (this can NOT be fixed by a vbios update!!  Only the throttling limits can be changed, aka the 1000 vBIOS, which simply puts a band-aid on the problem), and so on.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile