EVGA

Helpful ReplyWaterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 11
Author
nealsiganporia
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 00:54:05 (permalink)
kvswim
nealsiganporia
bvalente
Shai Hulud
I guess that makes sense...I didn't think about this card being harder to acquire than others. Ironically it was the only one I had any chance of getting because of EVGA's queue.

Yep - just bought one because it was the only one available. just talked to EK and they are saying late november for their wb.

Grateful EVGA did a queue system and not having to constantly hitting refresh on newegg, etc.

Brian

You talked to EK and they confirmed they have a WB coming for the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra in late November? This would be really helpful to know. Thanks

I can also confirm this -- I asked a CS rep on the 6th and they told me that, quote, "FTW3 block should be available this month". 

Great thanks. Does EK also sell the tubing/fans/radiator you may need for a custom loop, or do you have to acquire and assemble that yourself? If not, where do you get that? This is my first time getting a water block; in the past I purchased EVGA's hybrid kits. Any advice would be helpful
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 01:02:31 (permalink)
I buy all my tubing, fittings from ekwb, but yes they have excellent fans radiators and all you'll need for a custom loop

av8rn4cr
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 14:28:20 (permalink)
I have the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra purchased like others where I got the message to buy and I just got it due to lack of products.  I wanted the hydro version which is now on the website coming out soon.  My dilemma is this:  1.  Do I wait for the water block and just buy it and change it out or  2.  Use some sort of step up program to change my fan driven version to the hydro which is 50.00 more.         I don't know which is more economical or if I would be losing money to step up......I seemed to have heard that there would be a 15% loss if I send it back.  Confused, but still trying to figure out the best way to just make my card a hydro version.  Thoughts???
Emparus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 14:56:20 (permalink)
Always good to have the cooler when you sell the card. I will water cool as well as soon I get a block. This card is getting hot indeed. 
nirvashone
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 15:15:56 (permalink)
av8rn4cr
I have the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra purchased like others where I got the message to buy and I just got it due to lack of products.  I wanted the hydro version which is now on the website coming out soon.  My dilemma is this:  1.  Do I wait for the water block and just buy it and change it out or  2.  Use some sort of step up program to change my fan driven version to the hydro which is 50.00 more.         I don't know which is more economical or if I would be losing money to step up......I seemed to have heard that there would be a 15% loss if I send it back.  Confused, but still trying to figure out the best way to just make my card a hydro version.  Thoughts???

Stepping up to a hybrid card or hydrocopper it's not an option if you have the ftw3 ultra. You'll have to get the hybrid kit or put your own water block on it assuming the hydrocopper does not come out in a kit

phillg22
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 15:26:50 (permalink)
I think I was able to preorder the 3090 ftw3 hydrocopper and 3080 xc3 hybrid, according to myNotifies. These look so smashing compared to their air counterparts!!!
nirvashone
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 15:38:51 (permalink)
phillg22
I think I was able to preorder the 3090 ftw3 hydrocopper and 3080 xc3 hybrid, according to myNotifies. These look so smashing compared to their air counterparts!!!
if you don't already have a custom loop the hybrid's going to be the better choice especially on the xc3. 33% increase over the icx cooler on the GPU is definitely substantial. My question is, why is it only a 27% increase on the ftw3 ultra? But it's probably based on stock core clock speed.

QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 18:16:31 (permalink)
What good are water coolers going to be for something like the 3090 FTW3 Ultra if the main limitation on these cards isn't binning or heat issues?

My 3090 FTW3 Ultras run as cool as a cucumber even up to the point where they crash in benchmarks? Cooling them down more won't really change anything as far as I can tell...

QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 18:22:34 (permalink)
nirvashoneif you don't already have a custom loop the hybrid's going to be the better choice especially on the xc3. 33% increase over the icx cooler on the GPU is definitely substantial. My question is, why is it only a 27% increase on the ftw3 ultra? But it's probably based on stock core clock speed.

That's the problem, and I suspect you are correct that it is based off core clock speed, since they admit they aren't binning chips. If that is the case, you don't even need the water cooling to go that high unless they plan on coming out for special BIOS versions for the cards that have watercoolers (that open up more of the card or something). That, or you can flash the lesser card with a better card's BIOS (like the FTW3 users were able to do to OC as high as the Ultra without paying the extra for the Ultra cards).

Seriously though, if these cards aren't even binned anymore and pricing tiers aren't really based in any reality (except via imposed limitations within the EVGA bios), why is EVGA still using this labelling model to sell their cards? It is highly misleading and problematic to me as a customer. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth after paying the premium for three different Ultra cards.
post edited by QueueCumber - 2020/11/14 18:28:35

nirvashone
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 19:03:20 (permalink)
QueueCumber
nirvashoneif you don't already have a custom loop the hybrid's going to be the better choice especially on the xc3. 33% increase over the icx cooler on the GPU is definitely substantial. My question is, why is it only a 27% increase on the ftw3 ultra? But it's probably based on stock core clock speed.

That's the problem, and I suspect you are correct that it is based off core clock speed, since they admit they aren't binning chips. If that is the case, you don't even need the water cooling to go that high unless they plan on coming out for special BIOS versions for the cards that have watercoolers (that open up more of the card or something). That, or you can flash the lesser card with a better card's BIOS (like the FTW3 users were able to do to OC as high as the Ultra without paying the extra for the Ultra cards).

Seriously though, if these cards aren't even binned anymore and pricing tiers aren't really based in any reality (except via imposed limitations within the EVGA bios), why is EVGA still using this labelling model to sell their cards? It is highly misleading and problematic to me as a customer. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth after paying the premium for three different Ultra cards.

totally agree with your comment on binning. If they aren't Binning then why the different price points? Other than marketing value. However, with the different models having different base and boost clocks tells me that they are still binning the chips. Real-time GPU loads such as actual games or rendering versus synthetic benchmarks like 3D mark I stay in the mid to low 60s. With a theoretical bench temperature of 67° c I still stand to lose almost 20° by using the hybrid, so it's totally worth it even with the low percentage difference. The percentage difference between the ftw3 and the xc3 also furthers the proof of binning in the area of efficiency. The reason the ftw3 does does not have the cooling percentage as high as the xc3 is because the xc3 chip is not as efficient

QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 19:10:06 (permalink)
nirvashoneHowever, with the different models having different base and boost clocks tells me that they are still binning the chips.

They admitting they aren't binning them apparently. Or so I had read on the 3090 XOC thread awhile ago.

In any case, I would love to have some proof that these things will actually allow me to OC more, rather than just running my cards cooler with the same OC limits (which would be pointless to me as I don't need cooler cards, only faster cards...). I'm all for paying for performance benefits, as long as they are real.
post edited by QueueCumber - 2020/11/14 19:14:37

nirvashone
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 20:06:52 (permalink)
QueueCumber
nirvashoneHowever, with the different models having different base and boost clocks tells me that they are still binning the chips.

They admitting they aren't binning them apparently. Or so I had read on the 3090 XOC thread awhile ago.

In any case, I would love to have some proof that these things will actually allow me to OC more, rather than just running my cards cooler with the same OC limits (which would be pointless to me as I don't need cooler cards, only faster cards...). I'm all for paying for performance benefits, as long as they are real.
ever heard of reverse psychology? They say they're not bend to drive up sales in every category rather than just releasing one model across the board. If it's the same chip with the same performance then why are there different cooling percentages with the hybrid kit? Somewhere along the line we are being lied to.

QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/14 20:11:37 (permalink)
nirvashoneever heard of reverse psychology? They say they're not bend to drive up sales in every category rather than just releasing one model across the board. If it's the same chip with the same performance then why are there different cooling percentages with the hybrid kit? Somewhere along the line we are being lied to.

Not sure what you are getting at here, and not really interested in conspiracy theories (Yeah, if that is the case, it sucks, but I'm more concerned with eeking every bit of performance out of my setup rather than being mad at EVGA for sticking to a tiering that people are familiar with out of brand identity).

I'm more interested in whether I am missing something about these coolers and whether or not they are really going to be useful to me based on the information in my first post on the topic. 

nirvashone
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/15 03:54:35 (permalink)
QueueCumber

Not sure what you are getting at here, and not really interested in conspiracy theories (Yeah, if that is the case, it sucks, but I'm more concerned with eeking every bit of performance out of my setup rather than being mad at EVGA for sticking to a tiering that people are familiar with out of brand identity).

I'm more interested in whether I am missing something about these coolers and whether or not they are really going to be useful to me based on the information in my first post on the topic. 

Yeah sorry I went off on a tangent. If you're worried about which option is best for you to squeeze out every ounce of possible performance on a consumer level I would see about getting the hydrocopper and doing a custom loop. The full block coverage of the hydrocopper is a lot better than the hybrid. Plus the hydrocopper leaves you open to new various things such as ice water and using bigger radiators

slayertx
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/15 05:48:55 (permalink)
I didn't really think about this till you guys
mentioned it. But compared to all the other cards i have used and had (100's of them) as a system builder. This thing does not run very hot and performance is all over the place. One test it will smash it, the next test it's like it's hobbled. The boost clock can't make up it's mind. It's not in just tests but in games too. I often find the gpu useage stopping anywhere from 70-90% and I have never ever seen that in a benchmark or game.

dam the man, save the empire
vcjester
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/16 04:53:59 (permalink)
I'm not sure where people got the idea that cooler cards don't clock better. I've never seen a chip that didn't perform better when you drop the temp by by 40c, which is a realistic expectation for a water cooled gpu.
JaymZZZ
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/18 09:11:52 (permalink)
vcjester
I'm not sure where people got the idea that cooler cards don't clock better. I've never seen a chip that didn't perform better when you drop the temp by by 40c, which is a realistic expectation for a water cooled gpu.

Agreed. The cooler the chip, the higher it automatically boosts. 
Dyezak
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 08:21:07 (permalink)
EKWB just replied to an email I sent them and said their 3080 FTW3 blocks aren't due to end of year now.  
nirvashone
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 08:30:00 (permalink)
Dyezak
EKWB just replied to an email I sent them and said their 3080 FTW3 blocks aren't due to end of year now.  

Insert sad Panda here. I just saw the prototype pictures and I got excited. But that doesn't mean that I still can't buy my pump and tubing and fittings. Even though I'm on the queue for the hybrid kit I think I'm going to go with a full custom loop

koroem
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 08:42:46 (permalink)
Dyezak

Then it will be middle of Jan, then it will be end of Jan, Then it will be middle of Feb, then it will be end of Feb. Ek has been pushing back FTW3 blocks constantly, while releasing all kinds of new or revised products. What did EVGA do to anger them so much?

Asus Maximus Hero XI wifi / Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.2 / EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (RMAed "fixed" version)
16GB G.Skill 3200 cl14 / 2x Samsung NVME evo 970 1TB
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w
Caselabs Magnum TH10
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18923
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 09:05:44 (permalink)
koroem
Dyezak

Then it will be middle of Jan, then it will be end of Jan, Then it will be middle of Feb, then it will be end of Feb. Ek has been pushing back FTW3 blocks constantly, while releasing all kinds of new or revised products. What did EVGA do to anger them so much?

It won't be then either. I saw on their Facebook page a message they posted last night saying that they haven't even started working on them yet, but they are "next in line alongside the FE3090" - that's a direct quote, yet EK already have blocks for the AMD cards when there aren't any AMD cards to be had, and for the XC3 cards. Optimus have apparently also said delays, and that's for the first batch, but they've already pre-sold the first and second batches, so forget any hope of getting one of theirs this year or in Q1 next year. It appears nobody is going to have a block for the FTW3 cards until 2021, with the exception of maybe a small batch of hydro coppers maybe in mid December which are also already pre-sold and were eaten up in about 10 seconds flat. By the time we start seeing them readily available and not just on 'notify', we'll likely be in Q2 of 2021 and by then have heard something more concrete about the 30X0 Ti/Super, so the FTW3 blocks will go on the back burner never to be seen again. Awesome. Maybe I should just return my 3090 with it's intermitant black screens and put a block on my 2080Ti and wait for the 4000 series. /rant

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

westman824
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 09:16:21 (permalink)
Will the waterblock 3080s be added to the queued notification system? I don't see any "auto notify" buttons for those cards at the moment.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18923
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 09:28:53 (permalink)
westman824
Will the waterblock 3080s be added to the queued notification system? I don't see any "auto notify" buttons for those cards at the moment.

They were open for notifies for about a minute, basically it's a small pre-sold batch. Apparently it should open up again for notifications in mid December. As to when some will actually be available from those notifications... I highly doubt it will be this year.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/20 09:38:30 (permalink)
slayertx
I didn't really think about this till you guys
mentioned it. But compared to all the other cards i have used and had (100's of them) as a system builder. This thing does not run very hot and performance is all over the place. One test it will smash it, the next test it's like it's hobbled. The boost clock can't make up it's mind. It's not in just tests but in games too. I often find the gpu useage stopping anywhere from 70-90% and I have never ever seen that in a benchmark or game.

Yeah, this has made it difficult for OCing. Basically, have to shut it down to cool, then boot quick and bench for best scores. I gave up on that pretty quickly and just ran consecutive benches. 

bvalente
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/23 09:58:51 (permalink)
Anyone see any updates for FTW3 waterblock?

Optimus still sold out, EK says more like december

I tried to return the FTW3, but its 15% restock if box is opened (the inside bag was not opened and the unit was unused, but they only consider the box)
QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/23 10:04:08 (permalink)
bvalente

I tried to return the FTW3, but its 15% restock if box is opened (the inside bag was not opened and the unit was unused, but they only consider the box)

Nada. We are all in the same boat trying to get these during Covid.

JaymZZZ
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/23 10:05:34 (permalink)
bvalente

Have you talked to EK support recently or is this an assumption?
Jarmel
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/23 10:10:03 (permalink)
QueueCumber
What good are water coolers going to be for something like the 3090 FTW3 Ultra if the main limitation on these cards isn't binning or heat issues?

My 3090 FTW3 Ultras run as cool as a cucumber even up to the point where they crash in benchmarks? Cooling them down more won't really change anything as far as I can tell...

That's a valid question and concern. I'm debating that myself. There's probably going to be no way to know until we get the Hybrid cards to test, which of course would mean due to Ampere shortages that a person could end up waiting 1-2 months extra just to know whether there's a reason to get a Hybrid.
JaymZZZ
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/23 10:48:39 (permalink)
Jarmel
QueueCumber

That's a valid question and concern. I'm debating that myself. There's probably going to be no way to know until we get the Hybrid cards to test, which of course would mean due to Ampere shortages that a person could end up waiting 1-2 months extra just to know whether there's a reason to get a Hybrid.

Well...if you have a custom loop you might have less airflow in the case, so the GPU can cause problems. In my case, I had to crank all the radiator fans to 100% in order to keep the water under 45C, and the water is 45C because the 75C heater (read: 3090 FTW3) is blowing a ton of hot air into the case, which isn't dissipating, and is heating the inside of the case so much that the water is hotter than normal (when my 2080ti was in there and was water cooled, my water peaked at 36C)

The card may not have heat issues, but it generates a ton of heat and the fans on it have somehow disrupted the normal flow of the case
QueueCumber
Superclocked Member
Re: Waterblock for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming/Ultra ? 2020/11/23 11:44:33 (permalink)
JaymZZZ
Well...if you have a custom loop you might have less airflow in the case, so the GPU can cause problems. In my case, I had to crank all the radiator fans to 100% in order to keep the water under 45C, and the water is 45C because the 75C heater (read: 3090 FTW3) is blowing a ton of hot air into the case, which isn't dissipating, and is heating the inside of the case so much that the water is hotter than normal (when my 2080ti was in there and was water cooled, my water peaked at 36C)

The card may not have heat issues, but it generates a ton of heat and the fans on it have somehow disrupted the normal flow of the case

My mindset shifted radically when I did some cold air cooling in my basement last week. Letting in sub-zero temperatures raised my scores very nicely on benchmarks. I'm looking forward to setting up a custom loop if I can get some waterblocks for the ultras.  

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 11
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile