EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 29
Author
mickhick
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 14:57:22 (permalink)
Water pump cable plugged into cpu fan header?
Searanger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 18:19:00 (permalink)
I am posting to say that I have now joined the dead 3090 FTW3 Ultra after installing an EKWB waterblock. Far as I can tell I followed the instructions perfectly.
No leaks or other issues. When I went to boot the PC for the first time after doing my 24h leak test my motherboard is reporting back an VGA error.

So far I've tried everything the internet suggests but no luck. Hopefully EVGA accepts my RMA as I don't have a single GPU right now. I gave my old ones away during the pandemic.
Mordgier
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 18:50:54 (permalink)
Searanger
I am posting to say that I have now joined the dead 3090 FTW3 Ultra after installing an EKWB waterblock. Far as I can tell I followed the instructions perfectly.
No leaks or other issues. When I went to boot the PC for the first time after doing my 24h leak test my motherboard is reporting back an VGA error.

So far I've tried everything the internet suggests but no luck. Hopefully EVGA accepts my RMA as I don't have a single GPU right now. I gave my old ones away during the pandemic.

Welcome - for what it's worth - EVGA RMA process was by far the least frustrating part. Upload your invoice, submit the RMA, go with cross ship and fastest shipping you are willing to burn money on. I submitted my RMA on Monday and had a replacement in hand by Wednesday afternoon with overnight shipping. 

I wish I could tell you what I did differently with the replacement that made it work - but I have no explanation besides the fact that the replacement I got was clearly previously disassembled and a 2021 build dates vs 2020. Both Taiwan factory cards. 

It's been running on the block now for 5 hours, temps are good and everything seems fine - I'll keep running it 24/7 for a week before I call it 'good' and go back to business as usual. 

EVGA will keep getting my money, even if it really is their cards failing unrelated to the EK blocks being somehow defective. EVGA has been way more helpful in this ordeal than EK.
post edited by Mordgier - 2021/05/26 18:53:02
Searanger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 18:57:04 (permalink)
Mordgier

Welcome - for what it's worth - EVGA RMA process was by far the least frustrating part. Upload your invoice, submit the RMA, go with cross ship and fastest shipping you are willing to burn money on. I submitted my RMA on Monday and had a replacement in hand by Wednesday afternoon with overnight shipping. 

I wish I could tell you what I did differently with the replacement that made it work - but I have no explanation besides the fact that the replacement I got was clearly previously disassembled and a 2021 build dates vs 2020. Both Taiwan factory cards. 

I've always bought an EVGA card because I heard they had good customer service. This is the first time I've ever had to RMA anything. Just sucks. I was really excited to water cool this card as the heat coming off of it was just crazy when rendering.
Currently running on my monitor at 30hz as my motherboard doesn't support Display port and no spare GPU's. Hopefully I can get a card shipped out before the long weekend.

I take it you used the same block when you got yours back? I'm kind of apprehensive after reading this forum. I'm sure EVGA will be nice to me with one card but sending back a second one would be pushing the good will.
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/26 19:04:21 (permalink)
Searanger
Mordgier

I've always bought an EVGA card because I heard they had good customer service. This is the first time I've ever had to RMA anything. Just sucks. I was really excited to water cool this card as the heat coming off of it was just crazy when rendering.
Currently running on my monitor at 30hz as my motherboard doesn't support Display port and no spare GPU's. Hopefully I can get a card shipped out before the long weekend.

I take it you used the same block when you got yours back? I'm kind of apprehensive after reading this forum. I'm sure EVGA will be nice to me with one card but sending back a second one would be pushing the good will.

Exact same block. Originally I was going to tape the standoffs to avoid some of the short circuit fears - but I couldn't find a single thing any of them could touch - all were clearly landing within the mounting area. 

So I crossed my fingers, slapped it on and so far so good.

I had hoped to get the smaller standoff from EK - but given that they have done nothing but stall it seemed I'd have time to fry dozens of GPUs before they'd get around to sending me anything. Jerk move on my part but there you have it - worked out so far I guess.

Edit: Ran overnight and still running....
post edited by Mordgier - 2021/05/27 09:33:44
Vladjaye
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/27 20:34:00 (permalink)
Got the EKWB water block.. three weeks in - no problems so far. Just wanted to share since it felt like every card on WB is dying. Have to admit I was worried too. It was first time ever going custom water loop with GPU disassembly as a cherry on a cake. The heat generated on air was just crazy especially considering coming summer weather. 
stealthvitus
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/28 01:49:56 (permalink)
My 3090 FTW3 Ultra after installing an EKWB waterblock didn't want to rise freq more then 210mhz... Temp is 28deg. Fan speed 0.

MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL.

Have anybody same problem ?
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/28 04:52:26 (permalink)
For those looking to stay away from blocks and run on air, you could still stick with liquid cooling via a hybrid cooler and get decent temps that way. 

Just a thought.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
JustinMcLauchlin
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/28 09:48:01 (permalink)
Quick update from myself. Installed the EKWB last night, booted this morning and it seems to be running fine. Doing the leak test now, and will keep posted. Have not noticed anything strange yet, but anything can happen. I did take extreme care when disassembling the card before installing the waterblock. I noticed EK updated the instructions a little bit so be sure to check that out if you're about to do another install. I also left the backplate only just tight enough to not have to crank it.
JustinMcLauchlin
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/28 13:38:31 (permalink)
stealthvitus
My 3090 FTW3 Ultra after installing an EKWB waterblock didn't want to rise freq more then 210mhz... Temp is 28deg. Fan speed 0.

Actually, have this same thing going on. Just a bug? Games are running fine, etc. Seems like its just idling at 200 or something and doesn't reach boost speeds until I start gaming. I will monitor this as I test today on 3dmark
MeleeSparks
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/28 22:53:24 (permalink)
I received new standoffs from EK today, along with new pads for both my water blocks and backplates.  I'll post photos tomorrow.
Vipilicious
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/28 23:13:18 (permalink)
JustinMcLauchlin
stealthvitus

Actually, have this same thing going on. Just a bug? Games are running fine, etc. Seems like its just idling at 200 or something and doesn't reach boost speeds until I start gaming. I will monitor this as I test today on 3dmark

Had this problem too. Refers to energy settings. Use maximum power. Should solve the issue.

@ Topic - installed the block 2 months ago still running. What i figured out: One Screw was not fitting perfectly. During the installation i figured out that some copper pieces from the screw hole were noticable at the board. Furthermore dont overtighting the screws. I screwed them until I recognized only small resistance nothing more. Furthermore I recognized that the thermal pads at the backplate were not fitting perfectly. Before installing the backplate just hold it at one end and look if it fits or not.
post edited by Vipilicious - 2021/05/28 23:24:58
csudillo
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/05/31 20:08:02 (permalink)
Mine has gone dead after working for almost two weeks. Started having some weird boot issues the past few days.

Today I tried to boot and my Motherboard spat out a "97" q-code, as well as various others, and as I did research, it seems to be similar to what others are experiencing. VGA LED is illuminated below the post codes as well. No Nvidia card detected in system either.

Is the card toast if something shorted? I have a dual loop in one case build and taking all that apart is annoying.

Is this something EK or EVGA has addressed or commented on directly somewhere?
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/01 09:29:06 (permalink)
csudillo
Is the card toast if something shorted? I have a dual loop in one case build and taking all that apart is annoying.

I don't think anyone who's had the code 97 with the waterblock ever managed to bring the dead card back to life.

I'm still running on the replacement card - but it hasn't been a week yet so who knows.....
csudillo
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/01 10:05:19 (permalink)
@Mordgier

Yea, this sucks. Looks like I have yet another project for the week...again. 
TrumpyAl
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/01 23:54:33 (permalink)
I'm just registering another failure here, 3080 FTW3 Ultra.  I used the card for nearly six months while waiting for the EK block and finally installed it this weekend as we're back in lockdown here - now bricked with d6 error code.  Put in a Gigabyte 3080 that I have here and it's working fine (on air, ewww).

Have started the RMA process with EVGA but the tone from their support team doesn't seem too encouraging.  Was told that Advanced RMA is not 'suitable' for this situation so I expect a long wait...

I'll get in touch with EKWB to see if they want to send me the revised standoff mentioned earlier in this thread.

So pretty, so useless!

post edited by TrumpyAl - 2021/06/02 00:39:46
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/02 09:17:25 (permalink)
TrumpyAl

Have started the RMA process with EVGA but the tone from their support team doesn't seem too encouraging.  Was told that Advanced RMA is not 'suitable' for this situation so I expect a long wait...

That's strange - I had zero issues with EVGA and requesting crossship. I'd say call them.

EVGA got me a replacement card in 3 days.
TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/02 10:21:58 (permalink)
Mordgier
TrumpyAl

That's strange - I had zero issues with EVGA and requesting crossship. I'd say call them.

EVGA got me a replacement card in 3 days.

I noticed that the RMA process varies from region to region and Cross-ship wasn't available at all here.

I'm not too concerned, I have a mining 3080 that is holidaying in my PC while I wait.  I'm more annoyed at the shipping cost to be honest - only one option in the asia-pacific region, because of COVID, and I could only insure it for 2/3 of the replacement cost and it was still AU$180.  I could lean on my retailer to do this but we're in lockdown here so it would take a lot longer.

They've provided the RA approval in less than 24 hours so hopefully it will only take a similar amount of time for them to turn the RA around once they receive it - so maybe even as little as a week.
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/02 10:52:07 (permalink)
TrumpyAlI'm more annoyed at the shipping cost to be honest - only one option in the asia-pacific region, because of COVID, and I could only insure it for 2/3 of the replacement cost and it was still AU$180.  I could lean on my retailer to do this but we're in lockdown here so it would take a lot longer.

Yup - shipping sucked - not as bad for me as for you - but still. $80 to get the replacement overnight - $100 to get the original card back insured at $2k.

But hey - look on the bright side - you get nicer weather....
MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/04 14:46:53 (permalink)
for those curious -- these are the smaller standoffs that EK sent me.  They sent two, one for each of the two waterblocks I have.

TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/05 02:35:00 (permalink)
MeleeSparks
for those curious -- these are the smaller standoffs that EK sent me.  They sent two, one for each of the two waterblocks I have.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing this.  I'm waiting for a 3080 to come back from EVGA and I contacted EK yesterday about this.  I sent them a link to your post in here.

Dear Alan, 

thank you for contacting us. 
 We recommend that you open an RMA ticket where you purchased the graphics card. One customer informed us that after a successful RMA replacement of the graphics card and reinstallation of our FTW3 water block, everything works as it should be. The problem must have occurred while removing the stock cooler. After you receive a new graphics card from RMA, we recommend that you remove the stock cooler very slowly   and carefully. Stock thermal paste and thermal pads are very sticky and can damage the graphics card when removing the air cooler if you are not careful. Make sure to heat up the GPU with some benchmarking to loosen up the thermal pads.

Best regards, Ales 

I suggested that they participate in their own forums and clarify.  No response to that, as yet.
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/05 09:02:46 (permalink)
TrumpyAl
MeleeSparks

That's interesting, thanks for sharing this.  I'm waiting for a 3080 to come back from EVGA and I contacted EK yesterday about this.  I sent them a link to your post in here.

Dear Alan, 

thank you for contacting us. 
 We recommend that you open an RMA ticket where you purchased the graphics card. One customer informed us that after a successful RMA replacement of the graphics card and reinstallation of our FTW3 water block, everything works as it should be. The problem must have occurred while removing the stock cooler. After you receive a new graphics card from RMA, we recommend that you remove the stock cooler very slowly   and carefully. Stock thermal paste and thermal pads are very sticky and can damage the graphics card when removing the air cooler if you are not careful. Make sure to heat up the GPU with some benchmarking to loosen up the thermal pads.

Best regards, Ales 

I suggested that they participate in their own forums and clarify.  No response to that, as yet.

Ales was the same guy who 'handled' my EK ticket requesting the smaller standoff - and sent me the same response. Told me to RMA the card. I said I was asking for standoffs and RMA was already in progress - they responded with "Same block worked for people on replacement cards so just be careful next time" basically...then ignored me for days. Never sent me the smaller standoffs, seemed entirely uninterested in the issue and basically just wanted me to stop pestering them.

Certainly my last EK product - even if the blocks aren't frying the cards the support is a joke.

Paladinnight
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/05 16:22:29 (permalink)
I also had my card fail after installing the EKWB 3090 WB+Nickle Backplate. I have opened my RMA with EVGA, awaiting for it to be approved. I see in this post several comments regarding new standoffs, can someone provide more details? Is this a new standoff for the backplate or the main block? If I would retry the EKWB again, what is the pads I will need to reorder for it to work? Any one try the new Byski block?

I am not familiar with that brand so I figured I would check if others had experience with them.
Fourzero
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/05 17:03:42 (permalink)
MeleeSparks

Where is this standoff replaced on the block? They sent it to me but haven't bothered installing the block yet.
Mordgier
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/05 18:51:01 (permalink)
 supposedly that? Not sure where the 2nd goes - I thought there was just one....
jerkilby
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/07 00:43:09 (permalink)
To anyone that has yet to install their EK waterblock, check the backplate before you install it. Mine had some edges that weren't properly deburred from the machining process and could have potentially made contact somewhere possibly shorting out the card. I have the tools to smooth it out and have already done so, if I had thought about it I would have taken pictures first but too late for that. I used a die grinder with a smoothing wheel on it (not sure what the proper name is) and all is good. Edges where all the machining was done should be smooth, not rough and jagged with metal bits protruding, block was also missing a standoff but customer support took care of that for me with no hassle and sent one out to me. Haven't actually gotten around to install the block yet but hopefully I'll be joining those that have had good luck! Best of luck to everyone!

Edit: Fixed typos.
post edited by jerkilby - 2021/06/07 00:44:20
TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/07 10:55:11 (permalink)
Is it just the EK blocks though?  Have other FTW3 cards been bricked after Bykski, alphacool and Optimus blocks have been fitted?  With EVGA's responses, I suspect so but maybe they're just super-chilled about it all?
SpaceGhhostC2C
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/07 12:37:34 (permalink)
Sad seeing this thread still grow by a couple cards every week.
My RMA'd 3090FTW is still going strong 150/1000 40c, 70c mem junction temps hrs of 4K Sim VR, been playing Cyber Punk Ultra settings, quality DLSS, 40fps 4K, with the AlphaCool block

MSI X570GL, 5950X, 5ghz 2 cores - 4.8ghz all core OC. Prime95 short ftt's all core 4.5ghz
32gb G-Skill 3600@3800, FLCK 1900
EVGA 3090FTW3U AlphaCool block/backplate 185/1300
3x2tb WD 3rd/gen M.2 drives - 2 in raid0 4tb M.2 storage. 14Tb SATA drive.
EVGA 13000w G+ PSU.
CaseLabs Merlin M8, dual custom loops, Singularity Protium pumps/reservoirs, 480x120 Rad-CPU, 600x120 Rads-GPU, 18 Uni Fans.
Predator 4k 120hhz, Hp Reverb G2 4k/VR headset.
OC'ed with ClockTuner for Ryzen 2.1

MeleeSparks
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/07 12:44:21 (permalink)
I decided to just run air on both my 3090's this generation.  Anyone interested in buying two EK acetel waterblocks and two EK nickel backplates?
TrumpyAl
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/06/08 00:03:54 (permalink)
I got a response to my suggestion that EK support drop into this conversation.

EKWB Support (Ales) (EKWB Support)
Jun 7, 2021, 8:36 GMT+2
Dear Alan,
Sure, we were thinking of that too.
Best regards, Ales
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile