OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 55
Author
ShawnB420
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 401
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 12:37:57 (permalink)
Seeing the install issues makes me so glad I sent my card in to have Optimus install it.
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 12:41:37 (permalink)
ShawnB420
Seeing the install issues makes me so glad I sent my card in to have Optimus install it.

I'm guessing that you have not received your card/block from Optimus yet?  I'm really curious if this will fit with the Z690 Extreme board without a vertical install of the card.
post edited by mech9t5 - 2021/12/07 12:50:00

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

ShawnB420
iCX Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 12:52:12 (permalink)
mech9t5
ShawnB420

I'm guessing you have not received your card/block from Optimus yet?Β  I'm really curious if this will fit with the Z690 Extreme board without a vertical install of the card.

Nope. No updates since the shipping label was created but UPS has been bad with updating the tracking info so I'm hoping it's on it's way here. I have no idea what shipping option I choose, so based on past experience I don't expect it till end of the week.
Also the main heatsink that gets in the way would be for the 5.0 NVME slot when used makes the GPU run at 8x, though 8x 5.0 is 16x 4.0 speeds so likely no performance hit. That heatsink can be removed completely it appears, though it also removed the LCD display if you care about that.
post edited by ShawnB420 - 2021/12/07 12:54:31
alexaqui
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 13:16:27 (permalink)
Curious if these blocks are actually in stock per the site?  Previously it said to order to get on wait list.. now it shows "in stock"? I have a defective HydroCopper kit and EVGA is taking it's sweet time (10 days now) to approve an RMA or even send me the pads to put the hybrid cooler back on.  I'm pretty annoyed with them.

Kind of interesting about the user install error on that Optimus block. I put a front/back cooler on a junk Zotac 3080 and 0 issues - well worth it.

https://youtu.be/NQLvp9nFaPA for some "quality EVGA".  
Nikos4Life
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 13:29:05 (permalink)
What are you planning to do with the DIP switches? Since this can not be changed anymore unless you unmount the block.

All switched on?
USMC1419
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 15:11:16 (permalink)
ShawnB420
mech9t5
ShawnB420

I'm guessing you have not received your card/block from Optimus yet?Β  I'm really curious if this will fit with the Z690 Extreme board without a vertical install of the card.

Nope. No updates since the shipping label was created but UPS has been bad with updating the tracking info so I'm hoping it's on it's way here. I have no idea what shipping option I choose, so based on past experience I don't expect it till end of the week.
Also the main heatsink that gets in the way would be for the 5.0 NVME slot when used makes the GPU run at 8x, though 8x 5.0 is 16x 4.0 speeds so likely no performance hit. That heatsink can be removed completely it appears, though it also removed the LCD display if you care about that.

Pretty sure the RTX 3090 is only rated for pcie 4.0, so you'll be running at 4.0 8x, (despite it being a 5.0 capable interface on Mobo) which is basically 3.0 16x. Ran into this issue myself on my ASUS board running an M.2 in top slot.

Alexaqui, no, they are certainly not in stock, they are just finally shipping as of this past week to people who pre-ordered in June/July. I'd expect several weeks of waiting minimum.

12900k @ 5.2 W/Optimus Sig V2
64GB DDR5 @ 5000
RTX 3090 K|NGP|N W/ Optimus WB
EVGA 1200w  Supernova G2
Sammy 980 Pro 2Tb
Predator 27" 1440p G-Sync IPS 165 hz
Resident "wise guy"
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 16:31:23 (permalink)
drax3d
mech9t5
Not sure if this is user error or just bad design/manufacturing, but after weeks of delays and supposedly design improvements, one user posted this on Optimus’ Twitter page:

https://mobile.twitter.co...us/1468078307035992068

There's a possibility that's user error. The first page of the instructions on their webpage states specifically not to overtighten the screws or you will end up with PCB bending issues.

Anyway, my order number is 5300, but I also haven't kept my mouth shut with regards to critiquing them on Twitter so we'll see how that goes.

I am a mechanic in a production environment and I can assure you that many people, some mechanics included, have no idea what "overtighten" means. Can't tell you how many times I've followed someone else's work only to discover that they used every screw, nut and bolt as a test of their manhood. And where I work everything is stainless steal, which is relatively soft. 
TheHyperMatrix
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 16:44:54 (permalink)
drax3d
mech9t5
Not sure if this is user error or just bad design/manufacturing, but after weeks of delays and supposedly design improvements, one user posted this on Optimus’ Twitter page:

There's a possibility that's user error. The first page of the instructions on their webpage states specifically not to overtighten the screws or you will end up with PCB bending issues.

Anyway, my order number is 5300, but I also haven't kept my mouth shut with regards to critiquing them on Twitter so we'll see how that goes.

USMC1419
Well Optimus themselves actually replied over at oc forum and basically said it was installer error. Good to see they're active...

Really?  They did?  Where?  Because in their own post they said:

"This is entirely an instruction issue, and not HyperMatrix's fault, it's clear there is a step that's unclear. Spoke with Optimus engineering, and we see where the confusion is at."

https://www.overclock.net/threads/optimus-waterblock.1733810/post-28907704

They tried to sidestep it and say it was user error caused by using a screwdriver instead of their own tools until they saw that their own installation instructions were flawed.  They've made 2 edits to the instructions now, vs. the launch day instructions I followed.  Their original instructions said to tighten 8 screws (green and cyan) as much as possible using their own tool, which I used, as they instructed.  The new instructions say to only tighten 4 screws, and only lightly tighten the other 4.  I've installed dozens of GPU blocks.  I followed their instructions to the letter.  And the updated instructions still don't address the issue of the board flex caused by the displayport connectors being pushed out by the block itself.

mech9t5
..and they will work to replace the block for the OP, even though it was user error.  That's pretty good customer service.

Good product support, yes.  Due to customer error?  No.  read their own post linked above.

jaredbyoung
drax3d
mech9t5

I am a mechanic in a production environment and I can assure you that many people, some mechanics included, have no idea what "overtighten" means. Can't tell you how many times I've followed someone else's work only to discover that they used every screw, nut and bolt as a test of their manhood. And where I work everything is stainless steal, which is relatively soft. 

Not the issue in this case.  Their instructions said, for those 8 screws, to "tighten as much as possible, using the provided tool in the upright position."  They later realized those installation instructions were incorrect and have changed it to just tighten 4 of the screws as much as possible. 

telehog
Looks like used wrong size screws in the wrong place to do that ! 

No.  I used the correct screws in the correct place.  Their installation guide was incorrect and they're updating it.

Gotspeed_2000
Mech9t5,
Not sure how the user mounted it, but it looks like that PCB is toast. 

PCB is fine.  Ran 2220MHz Port Royal at 32C (6-7C above ambient water temp) on stock 520W bios.

Tired of people pretending they know what they're talking about, referencing the instructions for the Heatsink installation/tightening, but then ignoring the page for the installation of the backplate, which says TIGHTEN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

post edited by TheHyperMatrix - 2021/12/07 17:02:39

Need to spamtribute 100 posts for Elite status to be able to get a KingPin because Jacob. My apologies in advance.
drax3d
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 17:04:50 (permalink)
TheHyperMatrix
PCB is fine.  Ran 2220MHz Port Royal at 32C (6-7C above ambient water temp) on stock 520W bios.

Glad to hear everything is resolved. And no, I had not noticed the difference between the instructions that led to the error. I, like others, here and elsewhere, hadn't read the entire thread on overclock. For my part I apologize.
TheHyperMatrix
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 17:50:19 (permalink)
drax3d
TheHyperMatrix
PCB is fine.Β  Ran 2220MHz Port Royal at 32C (6-7C above ambient water temp) on stock 520W bios.

Β 
Glad to hear everything is resolved. And no, I had not noticed the difference between the instructions that led to the error. I, like others, here and elsewhere, hadn't read the entire thread on overclock. For my part I apologize.

Oh no the issue is definitely not resolved yet. There’s still the matter of the thermal pad that came with the backplate being dry and defective and causing board flex even with the screws they asked me to loosen up completely removed. Just got home and tested out their recommendations and while it’s slightly better, the problem still exists. Even between the points they’re still recommending to be tightened as much as possible.

Need to spamtribute 100 posts for Elite status to be able to get a KingPin because Jacob. My apologies in advance.
mech9t5
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 19:13:44 (permalink)
TheHyperMatrix, glad that it’s slightly better. Hopefully, Optimus will keep their word that if there are any issues with the block, they will replace it for you. Do you mind telling us your approximate order number? Mine is around 524X.

TheHyperMatrix
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 19:24:35 (permalink)
mech9t5
TheHyperMatrix, glad that it’s slightly better. Hopefully, Optimus will keep their word that if there are any issues with the block, they will replace it for you. Do you mind telling us your approximate order number? Mine is around 524X.

Order #5214. They shared updated install instructions (not finalized) on OCN:

https://www.overclock.net...931440388-png.2536215/

They appear to be backtracking on replacement parts for me saying (paraphrased) β€œsome bend is ok, if it works just enjoy it, and it may straighten out over time.” Going to wait until they respond to the flex by the DisplayPort connectors before passing judgment and reacting.

Ideally I’d want them to replace the backplate which now has some permanent bend in it due to me following their original install guide, along with the thermal pad on the backplate as it appears to be hard and dry around the edges like it was left exposed to air for months, which I believe is a large part of the flex in the first place. As well as finding a solution to the flex by the DisplayPort connectors.

Performance on the block is great. Visuals are great. But I don’t think these are acceptable issues on a $600+ block. And I’m hoping they don’t back away from their initial offer to make things right.

drax3d
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 19:38:24 (permalink)
TheHyperMatrix
But I don’t think these are acceptable issues on a $600+ block. And I’m hoping they don’t back away from their initial offer to make things right

They need to make this right. Especially after all of the delays and complaints on communication.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/07 20:18:07 (permalink)
Good to hear the board is okay.  Looked like it had a crack in the photo.  That bend was pretty severe.  If you don't mind keeping us updated that would be great.  I still haven't gotten any shipping notice my order number was before yours.  Can you share what color blocks you choose?  I'm wondering if the blacks were the first to go out?  I ordered the silver/nickel color and I'm still waiting on my shipping notice.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Nikos4Life
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 07:23:24 (permalink)
Nikos4Life
What are you planning to do with the DIP switches? Since this can not be changed anymore unless you unmount the block.

All switched on?

πŸ™„ Some guidance about this would be much appreciated πŸ™πŸ»

Thanks πŸ™ŒπŸ»
mech9t5
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 07:30:59 (permalink)
Set the dip switches to your liking prior to installing the block as per Optimus' website:

"

SIGNATURE KINGPIN BLOCK DETAILS:
  • Full front coverage with machined block over power delivery
  • NV Link Compatible with correct cutouts for bridge
  • Stock KP OLED mounts to the backplate
  • Full access to additional IO
  • DIP switches are hidden under backplate (switch before mounting)"
https://optimuspc.com/pro...gpu-block-kingpin-3090

TheHyperMatrix
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 10:19:17 (permalink)
Optimus now claiming that β€œnothing is defective” including the backplate thermal pad that is hard and dry around the edges and not compressing. They’re saying, and I quote: ”The thermal pads, despite not compressing as much as they should, compress the right amount for the performance to work.” I don’t know what the hell that means.

They are apparently blaming the entire situation on their β€œunclear” installation guide. Including the DisplayPort connectors touching the block and causing board flex. They’re saying the incorrect install guide could have resulted in it ending up in that state because the thermal pad is sucking and pulling the board and not allowing the the DisplayPort connectors to clear the block. My eyes don’t see that but who knows.

Definitely feeling iffy about their last few responses tbh…and the lack of interest in them getting the block back to see and test it to make sure it’s not a problem others will face, including with what I believe to be a dried out thermal pad issue, is also worrisome.
post edited by TheHyperMatrix - 2021/12/08 10:20:18

mech9t5
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 10:32:49 (permalink)
ShawnB420 sent in his KP to Optimus to have them install the block.  I don't think he has received it yet.  Maybe he will share the state of the installation, once received.

cnez0528
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 10:40:48 (permalink)
TheHyperMatrix
Optimus now claiming that β€œnothing is defective” including the backplate thermal pad that is hard and dry around the edges and not compressing. They’re saying, and I quote: ”The thermal pads, despite not compressing as much as they should, compress the right amount for the performance to work.” I don’t know what the hell that means.

They are apparently blaming the entire situation on their β€œunclear” installation guide. Including the DisplayPort connectors touching the block and causing board flex. They’re saying the incorrect install guide could have resulted in it ending up in that state because the thermal pad is sucking and pulling the board and not allowing the the DisplayPort connectors to clear the block. My eyes don’t see that but who knows.

Definitely feeling iffy about their last few responses tbh…and the lack of interest in them getting the block back to see and test it to make sure it’s not a problem others will face, including with what I believe to be a dried out thermal pad issue, is also worrisome.

This is a bit worrying. Still waiting on my block #5235, and I got 2 blocks for 2 kingpins...gonna see how it is
ShawnB420
iCX Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 11:13:34 (permalink)
Mine is expected to arrive tomorrow. Since I had Optimus install the block I'll post pics to see if I have any of the issues TheHyperMatrix is experiencing
mech9t5
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 11:17:31 (permalink)
ShawnB420
Mine is expected to arrive tomorrow. Since I had Optimus install the block I'll post pics to see if I have any of the issues TheHyperMatrix is experiencing

Just looking at the Optimus KP block installation photos of TheHyperMatrix at OCN, it looks like it will install in your Z690 Extreme board without a vertical mount.  Buy yeah, it would be interesting to those photos.

ShawnB420
iCX Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 11:28:00 (permalink)
mech9t5
ShawnB420

Just looking at the Optimus KP block installation photos of TheHyperMatrix at OCN, it looks like it will install in your Z690 Extreme board without a vertical mount.Β  Buy yeah, it would be interesting to those photos.

Thanks. I still want to go vertical if I can. This block deserves to shown off. We'll see how much I have to modify the EKWB mount.
drax3d
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 11:33:12 (permalink)
ShawnB420

I'd be very interested in seeing those pictures as well. They haven't yet shipped mine, hopefully by the end of the week or next week.
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 11:36:39 (permalink)
Nikos4Life
Nikos4Life

All switched on?

Thanks πŸ™ŒπŸ»

don't mess with them. if you want to use the manual voltage control, i'm sure someone here will be happy to share the classified software with you. or as mentioned, you can set them before mounting. software is better imo
Nikos4Life
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 15:00:29 (permalink)
zippytek
Nikos4Life
Nikos4Life

All switched on?

Thanks πŸ™ŒπŸ»

don't mess with them. if you want to use the manual voltage control, i'm sure someone here will be happy to share the classified software with you. or as mentioned, you can set them before mounting. software is better imo

Is there anyway of loading the values on windows startup?

I mean using classified tools.

Thanks for the info :)
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 15:32:51 (permalink)
ShawnB420
mech9t5
ShawnB420

Just looking at the Optimus KP block installation photos of TheHyperMatrix at OCN, it looks like it will install in your Z690 Extreme board without a vertical mount.  Buy yeah, it would be interesting to those photos.

Thanks. I still want to go vertical if I can. This block deserves to shown off. We'll see how much I have to modify the EKWB mount.

Agreed, +1 for some pics if you get some time.  I'll even endure a youtube vid if you want to gloat over the audio while showing it off LOL.  Have a good one.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
TheHyperMatrix
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 15:40:21 (permalink)
All my bent PCB pics have been shared across the internet.  May as well see some of the good pics too.  Lol.  https://imgur.com/a/QEU56uI

post edited by TheHyperMatrix - 2021/12/08 15:41:56

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 16:08:46 (permalink)
Your build looks outstanding, very nice.  Love how you were able to cram push/pull on both rads into the case.  I have a soft spot for maxed out cases / SFF builds.  Pardon my ignorance, what case is that?  Did you fabricate that pump/res stand?  If so it looks really OEM and well done.  Very little vertical mount sag as well.

edit: last Q!  That gaming chair looks pretty sweet, do you do racing sims mostly?
post edited by redteamgo - 2021/12/08 16:19:22

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
ShawnB420
iCX Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 16:14:36 (permalink)
I'm so glad I had the block installed by them now. Also what vertical mount is that?
post edited by ShawnB420 - 2021/12/08 16:19:42
TheHyperMatrix
Superclocked Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/08 16:18:27 (permalink)
redteamgo
Your build looks outstanding, very nice.  Love how you were able to cram push/pull on both rads into the case.  I have a soft spot for maxed out cases / SFF builds.  Pardon my ignorance, what case is that?  Did you fabricate that pump/res stand?  If so it looks really OEM and well done.  Very little vertical mount sag as well.

Corsair 1000D.  Not sure if visible in the pics but there are 2 sets of radiators.  So 2x 360mm and 2x 480mm. Total of 30 fans.  Looking at adding in a Mo-Ra3 420 in the spring.  The pump/res stand is actually the HDD tray.  I removed the piece of metal that sits on it, and drilled holes into the back of the case so I could screw in the reservoir support bands.

Recently switched to 12900K with DDR4 and unfortunately the best board available in DDR4 format is this ugly silver one.  Otherwise my previous board was all black as well.  There's also a 3rd pump hiding behind the video card that I haven't looped in yet since putting the KPE block on.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 55
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile