EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
jankerson
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 901
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 11:43:07 (permalink)
Bruno747
What the heck, I emailed gamers nexus as well asking that they investigate, if they can get NZXT to recall a bad pcie riser, maybe they can at least get evga to acknowledge there is an issue and stop charging people shipping to RMA cards that they full well know have an issue.

And he already tested the FTW3 3080 and 3090 and showed they don't draw power equally across the PCIe connections and said and showed it was/is normal.

Already been addressed talked about by GN.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W.

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 11:50:04 (permalink)
Try Furmark 2x or 0X MSAA burn in test.
donnie123
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 12:42:17 (permalink)
As you can see in my attachment, on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra, I ran the OCCT 3d test with max settings. Now as shown by the screen I was able to hit peak 447w on XOC 450w bios, but generally I am pretty throttled around 400+. It's clear that the plug 3 max was 98w and not going over.

Now to the guy stating its normal that the power is uneven, yes agreed. But not to this extent and not being limited to less then 100 on a 150 rated plug. If one of the plugs is significantly higher then 150 it's hitting the cap. Imagine if my plug had 50 more watts, my card would be able to pull constant 450w on XoC..

Anyhow to the real world performance, I was testing this compared to my friend who doesn't have the power balancing issues and the same card. While his card is able to pull some more watts, it doesn't mean it's better. Although not so much power limited his bin seems to be worse as I am boosting more with less watts then him.. resulting in a bit more of fps. So yeah, it could even be that fighting for more watts that we want, won't really bring any more performance anyway.

Attached Image(s)

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 13:58:28 (permalink)
jankerson
And he already tested the FTW3 3080 and 3090 and showed they don't draw power equally across the PCIe connections and said and showed it was/is normal.

It is not normal. Acceptable, maybe; that is a matter of opinion. But normal? No. Past cards were able to properly balance at any load. It should not need to be application specific. It should not need to be load specific. The card should be able to properly balance at any load. And the card should never draw over 75 watts from the PCI-E slot. It is a hardware-based high frequency sensing and switching circuit. In the past, it had full authority; why not any more? It is not at all normal from that perspective.

It is especially troublesome (and not normal) for the people who have the select cards which are so unbalanced that they power throttle below advertised power ratings because one of their inputs reaches max way before one of the others. These cards exist. Customers have their hands on these cards which have issues. The evidence is here on the forum. It should not be application specific. It should never need to be application specific from a hardware design and implementation perspective.

Someone with a card with especially bad power balancing (for example) should consider convincing GN to test their card and revise the "normal" statement. Saying that all cards are "normal" because the ones which have been tested are "normal" does not make sense.  This includes your own opinion based on your own experience.  I agree that it is not fair to judge the card if it performs as advertised with the advertised BIOS and as sold.  If the power balancing doesn't especially become a problem until overclocked or using a "beta" or unofficial BIOS, I agree that it is not RMA-worthy.  But there are cards which power balance so bad that they don't even achieve the advertised power limit.  And there are cards which exceed the 75 watt PCI-E limit when stock.  Those cards are defective and should be RMA'ed.  I don't think that you can argue that.  Those cards are not normal.  I don't know how you could disagree.

Continuing the line of reasoning for "If the power balancing doesn't especially become a problem until overclocked or using a "beta" or unofficial BIOS, I agree that it is not RMA-worthy.":  While I agree that a card in that situation is not RMA worthy and is not technically a defect, I would be annoyed if I had such a card.  It's not an ideal situation and does point at a design issue, even if not technically a defect covered by warranty.  People are entitled to their opinions about the performance and design limitations of the products they purchase.

P.S. Where is this GN video where he tested this and said that it is normal? I need to see the context of his statement compared to your broad interpretation quoted above.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/02/24 14:45:25

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Montana.Actual
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 14:11:47 (permalink)
It's not just the 3080's and 3090's. My 3060 ti does it too.
jankerson
SSC Member
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 14:45:31 (permalink)
ty_ger07
jankerson

It is not normal. Acceptable, maybe; that is a matter of opinion. But normal? No. Past cards were able to properly balance at any load. It should not need to be application specific. It should not need to be load specific. The card should be able to properly balance at any load. And the card should never draw over 75 watts from the PCI-E slot. It is a hardware-based high frequency sensing and switching circuit. In the past, it had full authority; why not any more? It is not at all normal from that perspective.

It is especially troublesome (and not normal) for the people who have the select cards which are so unbalanced that they power throttle below advertised power ratings because one of their inputs reaches max way before one of the others. These cards exist. Customers have their hands on these cards which have issues. The evidence is here on the forum. It should not be application specific. It should never need to be application specific from a hardware design and implementation perspective.

Someone with a card with especially bad power balancing (for example) should consider convincing GN to test their card and revise the "normal" statement. Saying that all cards are "normal" because the ones which have been tested are "normal" does not make sense.  This includes your own opinion based on your own experience.  I agree that it is not fair to judge the card if it performs as advertised with the advertised BIOS and as sold.  If the power balancing doesn't especially become a problem until overclocked or using a "beta" or unofficial BIOS, I agree that it is not RMA-worthy.  But there are cards which power balance so bad that they don't even achieve the advertised power limit.  And there are cards which exceed the 75 watt PCI-E limit when stock.  Those cards are defective and should be RMA'ed.  I don't think that you can argue that.  Those cards are not normal.  I don't know how you could disagree.

Continuing the line of reasoning for "If the power balancing doesn't especially become a problem until overclocked or using a "beta" or unofficial BIOS, I agree that it is not RMA-worthy.":  While I agree that it is not RMA worthy and is not technically a defect, I would be annoyed if I had such a card.  It's not an ideal situation and does point at a design issue, even if not technically a defect covered by warranty.  People are entitled to their opinions about the performance and design limitations of the products they purchase.

P.S. Where is this GN video where he tested this and said that it is normal? I need to see the context of his statement compared to your broad interpretation quoted above.

He tested the cards extensively so take your pick and look it up yourself. 

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W.

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 14:46:38 (permalink)
donnie123
As you can see in my attachment, on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra, I ran the OCCT 3d test with max settings. Now as shown by the screen I was able to hit peak 447w on XOC 450w bios, but generally I am pretty throttled around 400+. It's clear that the plug 3 max was 98w and not going over.

Now to the guy stating its normal that the power is uneven, yes agreed. But not to this extent and not being limited to less then 100 on a 150 rated plug. If one of the plugs is significantly higher then 150 it's hitting the cap. Imagine if my plug had 50 more watts, my card would be able to pull constant 450w on XoC..

Anyhow to the real world performance, I was testing this compared to my friend who doesn't have the power balancing issues and the same card. While his card is able to pull some more watts, it doesn't mean it's better. Although not so much power limited his bin seems to be worse as I am boosting more with less watts then him.. resulting in a bit more of fps. So yeah, it could even be that fighting for more watts that we want, won't really bring any more performance anyway.

Run FURMARK and see what it does.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 14:51:10 (permalink)
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

Continuing the line of reasoning for "If the power balancing doesn't especially become a problem until overclocked or using a "beta" or unofficial BIOS, I agree that it is not RMA-worthy.":  While I agree that it is not RMA worthy and is not technically a defect, I would be annoyed if I had such a card.  It's not an ideal situation and does point at a design issue, even if not technically a defect covered by warranty.  People are entitled to their opinions about the performance and design limitations of the products they purchase.

I've looked.  Please provide a video link where he makes this statement.

To be clear, I don't think that anyone has claimed that all cards have this issue.  Similarly, I don't think it is fair to say that no cards have this issue.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 14:52:30 (permalink)
ty_ger07
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

Have to watch the videos, including the live ones to find it.

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:01:15 (permalink)
ty_ger07
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

To be clear, I don't think that anyone has claimed that all cards have this issue.  Similarly, I don't think it is fair to say that no cards have this issue.

Now I don't know about the PCIe slot issue. Mine only pulled 60W from the PCIe slot with the card maxed out pulling 468W in FURMARK from the 3x 8 Pin.

So I have no clue why some cards might be pulling 75W or higher from the PCIe slot.

Could be a number of issues going on there.

Could be be a PSU issue for those not using 3 separate cables from the PSU so the card could be pulling more from the PCIe slot to make up for the loss maybe.

Lord Winchester
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:01:23 (permalink)
jankerson
huypho101!
I dont understand why jankerson is in such denial over the fact that people are having power draw issues with their cards lol

Forgot to add my actual power draw as taken from my PSU by a direct hardware connection that shows what the PSU is actually providing to the connections as read internally in the digital PSU. And this is output power to the card itself, not from the wall.

8,9 and 10 are the PCIe connection for the card.

This is just running FURMARK, shows 468W power draw just from the 3x 8 Pin.

If you notice it's showing 12A, 15A and 12A so it's not even across the connections. so it would read in watts converted from Amps to Watts, 144W, 180W and 144W.

I would like to make you aware, that your card is pulling 180w from an 8 pin conector, which is rated for 150. I hate to say it, but if this readout is correct, your card is faulty aswel. 

500wbiso
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:02:37 (permalink)
jankerson
donnie123

My 3090 card also having the problem.  Using direct psu monitor I observe card plug pulling same like your screen only if using XC3 bios, this way slot power beneath 70W also.  If using XOC bios he will not pull more 430W MAX and slot power too high.  Do not need argue here this is true porblem of power limit for some user.
starghostlink
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:03:27 (permalink)
Jaz11
Received a pretty funny reply from EVGA In regards to cards not pulling even close to their max power limits while saying "power cap". Primarily most people are finding the 3rd pcie port won't pull more than roughly 70w (varies per card)

I emailed to help and make them aware. I provided screenshots of my card only pulling 380w on a 450w bios, I provided screenshots of gpuz showing power limit being activated at 380w (450w bios) and the pcie 3 port at 68w...

I mentioned it's under an EKWB waterblock and 560w rad so thermals aren't an issue....and suddenly my waterblock was the scapegoat...

Come on EVGA. You can at least acknowledge the issue and a simple generic reply of "We have recently been made aware and are looking into the issue" would be better than this...

"Dear Customer,

Regarding to your problem, please note that our graphics cards are designed to be compatible with other brand's waterblock. Since it might have the problem of not applying correctly or component compatibility problem, the performance will also be affected.
Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
EVGA"

Yoooo youre not the only one, I managed to grab this screenshot while doing TimeSpy in 3Dmark

I sent an email to Stephen as I encourage many others to do as well, like you said. I've already RMA'd my 3080 once from EVGA and its now performing exactly the same as it was before. Im completely stumped on what to do anymore with my pc, it keeps black screening and just freezing and then I gotta do a hard shutdown and then wait over 1 minute to then restart my computer or it will reboot back into the same problems

post edited by starghostlink - 2021/02/24 15:07:42
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:04:08 (permalink)
Lord Winchester
jankerson
huypho101!
I dont understand why jankerson is in such denial over the fact that people are having power draw issues with their cards lol

Forgot to add my actual power draw as taken from my PSU by a direct hardware connection that shows what the PSU is actually providing to the connections as read internally in the digital PSU. And this is output power to the card itself, not from the wall.

If you notice it's showing 12A, 15A and 12A so it's not even across the connections. so it would read in watts converted from Amps to Watts, 144W, 180W and 144W.

I would like to make you aware, that your card is pulling 180w from an 8 pin conector, which is rated for 150. I hate to say it, but if this readout is correct, your card is faulty aswel. 

The draw fluctuates up and down across the connections. 

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:06:48 (permalink)
500wbiso
jankerson
donnie123

My 3090 card also having the problem.  Using direct psu monitor I observe card plug pulling same like your screen only if using XC3 bios, this way slot power beneath 70W also.  If using XOC bios he will not pull more 430W MAX and slot power too high.  Do not need argue here this is true porblem of power limit for some user.

I have no idea about the 3090's and I don't have one to test.

Lord Winchester
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:08:31 (permalink)
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

Now I don't know about the PCIe slot issue. Mine only pulled 60W from the PCIe slot with the card maxed out pulling 468W in FURMARK from the 3x 8 Pin.

So I have no clue why some cards might be pulling 75W or higher from the PCIe slot.

Could be be a PSU issue for those not using 3 separate cables from the PSU so the card could be pulling more from the PCIe slot to make up for the loss maybe.

I'm on the 2nd card right now, running 3 separate cables to my Dark Power Pro 11 1000 Watt PSU.

First card got RMA'ed for 83 Watt pcie slot power draw.

I cant speak for others, but in my case it definitely wasn't a user error. 

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:10:59 (permalink)
Lord Winchester
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

I'm on the 2nd card right now, running 3 separate cables to my Dark Power Pro 11 1000 Watt PSU.

First card got RMA'ed for 83 Watt pcie slot power draw.

I cant speak for others, but in my case it definitely wasn't a user error. 

83W, interesting, yeah that might cause some issues with some MBs depending on what they are.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:22:41 (permalink)
jankerson

This might blow your mind, but some cards have an issue.  Not yours, sure.  Not all, sure.  Maybe not even a majority.  But some.

Sorry, but some people have cards which will not power balance within advertised limits no matter what they have tried.  PSU wasn't the issue.  PSU cables weren't the issue.  They weren't daisy-chaining.  They RMA'ed their card, and the one they received didn't have an issue (even though they didn't change anything else).

This might blow your mind, but some cards have an issue.

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:26:50 (permalink)
ty_ger07
jankerson

This might blow your mind, but some cards have an issue.  Not yours, sure.  Not all, sure.  Maybe not even a majority.  But some.

Sorry, but some people have cards which will not power balance within advertised limits no matter what they have tried.  PSU wasn't the issue.  PSU cables weren't the issue.  They weren't daisy-chaining.  They RMA'ed their card, and the one they received didn't have an issue (even though they didn't change anything else).

I wasn't saying about SOME cards.

I was trying to see what the issue was or if it is even an issue with the ONE CARD, THE 3080 that the OP has.

I haven't seen any screenshots that actually show up, nor do I know what programs he was using to test it, nor do I know his system specs because he never posted any of it.

I was waiting for the info and was called a troll and that was the end of that.

Hard to troubleshoot when one doesn't have any info to go on now isn't it? 

Like when I took in my truck battery earlier today that wasn't holding a charge, only a year old.

They hooked it up to their meter to check it, it only had 130A out of the 830A it was supposed to have so yeah they replaced it.

Yeah, it was a bad battery.

post edited by jankerson - 2021/02/24 15:45:49

starghostlink
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:35:11 (permalink)
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

I was trying to see what the issue was or if it is even an issue with the ONE CARD, THE 3080 that the OP has.

I haven't seen any screenshots that actually show up, nor do I know what programs he was using to test it, nor do I know his system specs because he never posted any of it.

Reading all your posts and comments in here it seems like youre in denial that your card needs to be RMA'd and youre trying to shut up everyone in here for some reason? Is somebody paying you to contradict and stir things up in the forums?? or are you just bored???
Turbo-12R
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:51:43 (permalink)
ty_ger07
jankerson

No mind blowing here at all.  I understand some cards have an issue.  Any product will have issues thus a reason for a warranty.

Please cite these "advertised limits" you speak of.

The point here is you are parroting information you have not collected by means of your own testing.  You do not have one of these cards, period.  You get upset with anyone that is giving praise to the card and/or do not have a problem with the card.  You post incendiary comments like "I don't understand their logic.  "Mine works fine, so you must be doing something wrong"". Like those people have some sort of an issue because their card is not "seemingly" broken.

Nobody is denying that there are problems, but your trouble is you have an issue with those who do not have problems with their 3080/3090 cards, and jumping at every chance you get to sway people from getting one, because you "think" you know.

I have purchased both the 3080 FTW3, and the 3090 FTW3.  I was somewhere around #80 and #160 on the list respectively.  Both being early build cards, and both operating without issues to this day.  I do know my 3090 operates about 35-40% faster than my 2080Ti FTW3, which I am very happy about.  You mentioned in a previous post that I need to go away...I own both of these cards...maybe you should go away...?
post edited by Turbo-12R - 2021/02/24 15:58:05

Thermaltake Level 20HT
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core
Thermaltake Pacific MX1 Plus Water Block
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe
1x Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB NVMe
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta MAX RGB SSD 1TB
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA w/EKWB
Dual Thermaltake PR22-D5 Pumps
Dual Thermaltake Pacific CL360 64mm Rads
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
500wbiso
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:52:30 (permalink)
jankerson
Lord Winchester
jankerson
huypho101!

The draw fluctuates up and down across the connections. 

Mine is same like this for XC3 peaking 200W by one conector but it just because 2 plug bios trick him.  It is out side official PCIE ratings but OK for PSU and the wire. Jankenson PSU also maybe not problem but card have problem.  Maybe it can exlpain dreaded red lights error if power can go crazy like this.
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 15:56:40 (permalink)
Turbo-12R
ty_ger07
jankerson

No mind blowing here at all.  I understand some cards have an issue.  Any product will have issues thus a reason for a warranty.

The point here is you are parroting information you have not collected by means of your own testing.  You do not have one of these cards, period.  You get upset with anyone that is giving praise to the card and/or do not have a problem with the card.  You post incendiary comments about like "I don't understand their logic.  "Mine works fine, so you must be doing something wrong"". Like those people have some sort of an issue because their card is not "seemingly" broken.

Nobody is denying that there are problems, but your trouble is you have an issue with those who do not have problems with their 3080/3090 cards, and jumping at every chance you get to sway people from getting one, because you "think" you know.

I have purchased both the 3080 FTW3, and the 3090 FTW3.  I was somewhere around #80 and #160 on the list respectively.  Both being early build cards, and both operating without issues to this day.  I do know my 3090 operates about 35-40% faster than my 2080Ti FTW3, which I am very happy about.  You mentioned in a previous post that I need to go away...I own both of these cards...maybe you should go away...?

And all I was trying to do was troubleshoot the OP 3080 to see what the issue was or what was causing if there even was one and got called a troll in the process.

And I am on my 3rd  FTW3 Ultra 3080, 1st two were RMAed.

I have more than 400 gaming hours on my current one, works great.

Kylearan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 17:15:11 (permalink)
Try running the GPU-Z PCIE test.  This shows a pretty worst case draw on the 8 pins, but usually the PCIE Slot will draw a bit less than expected.  But this should be a better test than furmark.

Also the Chip Power draw is very low in this test, so you will get a throttle flag as soon as you get "close" to TDP, due to the light chip load (you won't reach max TDP as you actually get a throttle flag and the chip starts lightly throttling, before you reach the max TDP limit in watts).
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 19:03:49 (permalink)
starghostlink
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

Reading all your posts and comments in here it seems like youre in denial that your card needs to be RMA'd and youre trying to shut up everyone in here for some reason? Is somebody paying you to contradict and stir things up in the forums?? or are you just bored???

There is nothing with my card, my current one anyway, it's my 3rd one, 1st two RMAed.

I have more than 400 gaming hours on it now, and that's not including all of the testing and OCing maxing out the card that I did over a 2 week period. That's long sometimes 3 or 4+ hour or more gaming sessions on it.

The card works great, I have no complaints at all about this one, it's been flawless.

500wbiso
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 19:14:43 (permalink)
jankerson
starghostlink
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

There is nothing with my card, my current one anyway, it's my 3rd one, 1st two RMAed.

I have more than 400 gaming hours on it now, and that's not including all of the testing and OCing maxing out the card that I did over a 2 week period. That's long sometimes 3 or 4+ hour or more gaming sessions on it.

The card works great, I have no complaints at all about this one, it's been flawless.

The balancer problem do not mean low performing but is still problem.  I choose to keeping problem card as well because performance pretty OK in this specimen.  Still hope new bios can fix some things.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 19:15:51 (permalink)
Turbo-12R

1) PCI-E specifications.  This card is sold as a PCI-E compliant card.  PCI-E compliant cards cannot consume more than 66 watts from the PCI-E slot 12v rail.  Some are.

2) Advertised boost clocks.  A user (linked above) is getting throttled due to power limit down to less than 1000 MHz core clock due to power limit at only 292 watts total power draw.

The point here is you are parroting information you have not collected by means of your own testing.

I don't need to.

You get upset with anyone that is giving praise to the card and/or do not have a problem with the card.

No I don't.  Where have I ever been upset with someone for praising one of these cards?  I only get upset with you for coming into these threads, refusing to believe that some people do have a problem, and for saying that they must be doing something wrong because yours doesn't have a problem.

In threads where people are happy with their cards, I say nothing.  Likewise, when people are unhappy with their cards, you should not come here be upset with them and blame them, just because your card works fine.

Be gone.

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 19:20:00 (permalink)
500wbiso
jankerson
starghostlink
jankerson
ty_ger07
jankerson

The balancer problem do not mean low performing but is still problem.  I choose to keeping problem card as well because performance pretty OK in this specimen.  Still hope new bios can fix some things.

Not really seeing a problem with mine as the wattage draw does change, goes up and down so it's not creating any issues. And my MB is one of the better ones with great VRMS so I wouldn't expect it to have any. And 30W over on the PCIe connection shouldn't cause any issues. If it was 250W I would say something, but it not.

It's pulling the wattage it should pull overall and it's not crashing, locking up, or dying on me.

And it holds very good clocks in Core and Memory.

So no complaints.
post edited by jankerson - 2021/02/24 19:28:40

Turbo-12R
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 20:55:20 (permalink)
ty_ger07

No I don't.  Where have I ever been upset with someone for praising one of these cards?  I only get upset with you for coming into these threads, refusing to believe that some people do have a problem, and for saying that they must be doing something wrong because yours doesn't have a problem.

In threads where people are happy with their cards, I say nothing.  Likewise, when people are unhappy with their cards, you should not come here be upset with them and blame them, just because your card works fine.

Be gone.

Stop picking and choosing what you "want" to read and read my entire statement, as well as what others have said.  I have more purpose in these threads than you do since I actually OWN the products mentioned.  Plus I have acknowledged multiple times people have problems with the card, whether that be their own doings or the complete fault of the product itself.  What's sad though is you will not accept any reason other than the card being a dud for the problems people are having.  Although these issues may seem large in nature, because people are much more likely to complain and seek answers when they are having a problem, the problem itself is probably relatively small compared to the overall sales.

I find it quite ridiculous that you jump into every "I have a problem with my 30xx card" thread and say the same things over and over and over.  We get it, you don't like the card or simply can't afford to buy one, or both.  I'm here because I do have the card, and you wont find me rambling a bunch of regurgitated garbage in other sections of this forum that do not pertain to me.

Thermaltake Level 20HT
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core
Thermaltake Pacific MX1 Plus Water Block
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe
1x Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB NVMe
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta MAX RGB SSD 1TB
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA w/EKWB
Dual Thermaltake PR22-D5 Pumps
Dual Thermaltake Pacific CL360 64mm Rads
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA's response to my enquiry on the pcie power issues 2021/02/24 23:16:45 (permalink)
jankerson
All 3 of the FTW3 Ultra 3080's I have had here didn't have the problem, all 3 were easily pulling 450W.

And that is 3 different cards.

All three 3090 FTW3 cards I had couldn't pull 450 watts with the stock 450 watt BIOS.  All three 3090 FTW3 cards I had couldn't pull 500 watts with the 500 watt XOC BIOS.  Then I flash the XOC BIOS onto the MSI and Asus 3090 cards with three 8 pin connectors cards and they draw 500 watts.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile