EVGA

EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 34 of 46
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 14:23:46 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
jaredbyoung
austinhouk802
Sajin
Tigerheli79
I tried to play New World on my 3090 ftw3 today, black displays and gpu fans went nuts. Crashed after only minutes in game. I held the power button on the tower to shut it down right away. Rebooted and refunded New World. Someone better fix this. cards are getting fried.

New world isn’t the issue. Bad card pcb build quality is the problem. Kingpin and founders edition cards work fine with this game.

I would partially disagree. New World aided in pointing out manufacturer issues with the earlier batches of specific models, but NO GAME should be coded in such a way to indirectly target certain weak spots of cards. There IS something going on with New World whether you, or anyone else, wants to admit it or not, AS WELL as with EVGA and other manufacturers processes too.

I shouldnt be able to run Furmark or Unigine at 8K for an hour with 99% utilization and no FPS cap and have NO ISSUES, but New World causes game breaking, and sometimes card destroying, issues at 2K and anything higher than 60fps.

A game shouldn't be able to do this to a card because the card should have protections against this type of thing, either at the hardware level or at the firmware/VBIOS level. Yeah, there's something weird about what New World is doing that causes this vulnerability to be exposed, but ultimately this is a card vulnerability that should be corrected by the card manufacturer. If the vulnerability exists it could be exploited on purpose at some point in the future. 

This is true. I am not disagreeing with that whatsoever. That said, why is New World putting this kind of load on the cards? Isn't it totally unnecessary? Also, to Sajin's point, furmark was driver and BIOS limited ages ago by Nvidia, but why haven't they stepped in to limit this new power virus that is damaging their cards?

Only poorly built cards are being damaged. That is why.
talon951
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 14:52:30 (permalink)
It's obvious the game is doing something differently than pretty much all other games though. I'm in the camp of no software should be able to fail a card,but still there's something different about the game. I personally would only run that game on a card I hate. Or one that has warranty and I want to get different one possibly to improve my lottery winnings.
evga1081
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 14:53:48 (permalink)
Sajin
B0baganoosh
jaredbyoung
austinhouk802
Sajin
Tigerheli79
I tried to play New World on my 3090 ftw3 today, black displays and gpu fans went nuts. Crashed after only minutes in game. I held the power button on the tower to shut it down right away. Rebooted and refunded New World. Someone better fix this. cards are getting fried.

New world isn’t the issue. Bad card pcb build quality is the problem. Kingpin and founders edition cards work fine with this game.

I would partially disagree. New World aided in pointing out manufacturer issues with the earlier batches of specific models, but NO GAME should be coded in such a way to indirectly target certain weak spots of cards. There IS something going on with New World whether you, or anyone else, wants to admit it or not, AS WELL as with EVGA and other manufacturers processes too.

I shouldnt be able to run Furmark or Unigine at 8K for an hour with 99% utilization and no FPS cap and have NO ISSUES, but New World causes game breaking, and sometimes card destroying, issues at 2K and anything higher than 60fps.

A game shouldn't be able to do this to a card because the card should have protections against this type of thing, either at the hardware level or at the firmware/VBIOS level. Yeah, there's something weird about what New World is doing that causes this vulnerability to be exposed, but ultimately this is a card vulnerability that should be corrected by the card manufacturer. If the vulnerability exists it could be exploited on purpose at some point in the future. 

This is true. I am not disagreeing with that whatsoever. That said, why is New World putting this kind of load on the cards? Isn't it totally unnecessary? Also, to Sajin's point, furmark was driver and BIOS limited ages ago by Nvidia, but why haven't they stepped in to limit this new power virus that is damaging their cards?

Only poorly built cards are being damaged. That is why.

There is another alternative: the 3090, at least closer to launch, was an impractically stressed product for the purposes of achieving a ‘higher end sku’ that resulted in hardware failure at peak performance. Software limiters should prevent most issues, but there would have been a leadership decision on the risk of failure that greed won out on. Some partners may have added mitigating elements, but in some areas it may not have been enough.
bkstradling
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 15:05:19 (permalink)
EVGA is A-RMA'ing my card, so that's nice... I had to buy a new thermal pad kit from them to put the stock cooler back on.  I also need EKWB to get me the revised standoffs for the WB, and buy new thermal pads for the incoming card.  Might take this opportunity to get an active cooling backplate...

On another note I spoke w/ an EVGA Support tech on the New World issue a little... He did state other manufacturers are having the same issue (but I'm mostly hearing EVGA's name on this).  He also said something along the lines like I might want to hold off on playing New World, for now, on my replacement card.
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 15:27:40 (permalink)
Hello, I just registered in the forum to comment a bit about my situation .... I hope to write in the correct forum .... I am using the google translator.
Well, I bought an EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX3090 FTW3 UltraGaming 24GB - Graphic ... on 11/06/2020.
All good, in the beta of new world I tried the game some time after 3 or 4 hours suddenly the fans of the card began to sound like crazy, it seemed that a plane was located in my room with the famous black screen.
Totally shut down the pc ... that noise from the fans was not normal, when I restarted I did not have the card drivers so I had to reinstall them, .... since it looked all wrong as if it were in safe mode ... hope you understand me.
After installing them everything went well, I never put the NEW WORLD beta again.
Now with the launch I gave it a try again, but after seeing so many comments from people with problems in this forum, on steam .... reddit.
The truth is that I lost the desire to play it and I asked for a refund of the game.
Now .... I have doubts .... maybe it is a good idea to contact my store to change my RTX3090 FTW3 EVGA, since it is still under warranty.
But of course my card is not burned, even if the store sends the card to EVGA's technical service, maybe they won't change it for a 2021 card, right? since I read that the current ones had no problems.
Keep in mind that I am in Spain .... and in the store they already told me that I had to wait at least 30 days, and there are many days without a pc!
What do you think I send the card, will they change it for one of 2021?
thanks to whoever answered ...
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 15:38:00 (permalink)
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO
Hello, I just registered in the forum to comment a bit about my situation .... I hope to write in the correct forum .... I am using the google translator.
Well, I bought an EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX3090 FTW3 UltraGaming 24GB - Graphic ... on 11/06/2020.
All good, in the beta of new world I tried the game some time after 3 or 4 hours suddenly the fans of the card began to sound like crazy, it seemed that a plane was located in my room with the famous black screen.
Totally shut down the pc ... that noise from the fans was not normal, when I restarted I did not have the card drivers so I had to reinstall them, .... since it looked all wrong as if it were in safe mode ... hope you understand me.
After installing them everything went well, I never put the NEW WORLD beta again.
Now with the launch I gave it a try again, but after seeing so many comments from people with problems in this forum, on steam .... reddit.
The truth is that I lost the desire to play it and I asked for a refund of the game.
Now .... I have doubts .... maybe it is a good idea to contact my store to change my RTX3090 FTW3 EVGA, since it is still under warranty.
But of course my card is not burned, even if the store sends the card to EVGA's technical service, maybe they won't change it for a 2021 card, right? since I read that the current ones had no problems.
Keep in mind that I am in Spain .... and in the store they already told me that I had to wait at least 30 days, and there are many days without a pc!

Welcome to the forum  and excellent choice in not playing the game anymore and getting a refund. You have had your card since Nov. 06 2020 and I had mine since Oct. 27th 2020(11 months). No problems with my card what so ever since I got it.
post edited by badboy64 - 2021/09/29 15:39:30

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
mixelplx
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 18:47:42 (permalink)
AnTse
Howdy!

Wanted to share my experience with my 2nd 3090 FTW3 which was up to shenanigans last night also.  My original 3090 lasted 3 days after initial install.  Was in the first wave of cards shipped.  Was replaced and has been working perfectly in every game since.  Also have a Hydro Kit installed on it.

So, yesterday pop on New World at 0830ish Central, and enter the queue.  Left this running until the queue ran down and I was in the game at 1845ish.  Started the new player experience and ran for 15-20 minutes then Black Screen - All Fans full and PC shut down.  Paused.  Took a deep breath.  Cycled the Power supply.  Rebooted and everything was back to normal.  Started the Precision software, things looked normal.  Tried to get back into New World.  No dice, back in the queue.  Deleted character and went on low population server.

Then started watching numbers in icx the only one that was aberrant was Power4.  Everything else was in the 50s to low 60s.  Power4 shot to 74.  Started playing and played for a short while.  Black Screen - All Fans full and PC shut down.  Panicked a little.
Rebooted.  All normal.

So, decided this time to lower the power target to 53% in Precision.  Went back in to New World.  Power4 never got above 54.  Played for 3 and half hours then went to bed.  Noticed no difference in game performance.  I am running the game capped at 60 in 2k and everything on High.  Ran smooth as silk even with the power turned down.

This morning fired up Tarkov with all the default settings on the card in Precision and everything ran perfectly, just like it always does.

Not really sure what any of this means, hope it is just an outlier on this game causing some odd behavior.

Okay I've had the issue of barely being able to play and with your recommendation, I've been able to play longer than 5min. I'll update if anything happens.

Edit 1: So I use X1 and brought down power to 60 and I don't have a impact on performance and able to have it booted longer than 1-2min. Been logged on for almost a hour, no issues so far.
Edit 2: Finally reached town and within 5min, black screen/100% fan usage. At least I got to play a little, but the result is still the same. Damn shame

post edited by mixelplx - 2021/09/29 20:11:48
Fayalite
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 253
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 20:23:42 (permalink)
Just don't play the game if there is a risk on the card model until we know better. I mean EVGA made a claim on why, doesn't mean that's true

AnTse
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/29 23:36:46 (permalink)
mixelplx
AnTse
Howdy!

Wanted to share my experience with my 2nd 3090 FTW3 which was up to shenanigans last night also.  My original 3090 lasted 3 days after initial install.  Was in the first wave of cards shipped.  Was replaced and has been working perfectly in every game since.  Also have a Hydro Kit installed on it.

So, yesterday pop on New World at 0830ish Central, and enter the queue.  Left this running until the queue ran down and I was in the game at 1845ish.  Started the new player experience and ran for 15-20 minutes then Black Screen - All Fans full and PC shut down.  Paused.  Took a deep breath.  Cycled the Power supply.  Rebooted and everything was back to normal.  Started the Precision software, things looked normal.  Tried to get back into New World.  No dice, back in the queue.  Deleted character and went on low population server.

Then started watching numbers in icx the only one that was aberrant was Power4.  Everything else was in the 50s to low 60s.  Power4 shot to 74.  Started playing and played for a short while.  Black Screen - All Fans full and PC shut down.  Panicked a little.
Rebooted.  All normal.

So, decided this time to lower the power target to 53% in Precision.  Went back in to New World.  Power4 never got above 54.  Played for 3 and half hours then went to bed.  Noticed no difference in game performance.  I am running the game capped at 60 in 2k and everything on High.  Ran smooth as silk even with the power turned down.

This morning fired up Tarkov with all the default settings on the card in Precision and everything ran perfectly, just like it always does.

Not really sure what any of this means, hope it is just an outlier on this game causing some odd behavior.

Okay I've had the issue of barely being able to play and with your recommendation, I've been able to play longer than 5min. I'll update if anything happens.

Edit 1: So I use X1 and brought down power to 60 and I don't have a impact on performance and able to have it booted longer than 1-2min. Been logged on for almost a hour, no issues so far.
Edit 2: Finally reached town and within 5min, black screen/100% fan usage. At least I got to play a little, but the result is still the same. Damn shame

Thought I would uplate my experience this evening. Set power to 53%. Played for 6 hours. Got sleepy. Went to bed. Power4 never got above 62. Game operated fine. Even processing everything during a rift fight with 30+ players involved. 
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 00:42:51 (permalink)
badboy64
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO

Welcome to the forum  and excellent choice in not playing the game anymore and getting a refund. You have had your card since Nov. 06 2020 and I had mine since Oct. 27th 2020(11 months). No problems with my card what so ever since I got it.

Cheers ! Well, if it seems that new world is giving many problems ... did you try it? and if so ... did you have a problem?
by the way I've been reading the new world steam forums since yesterday ...
and there is always some black screen message and pc restart ....
all this seems to be going to bring a tail!
ExxtraThiccc
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 02:19:03 (permalink)
i got through a total of 72 minutes of New World and had 4 crashes (black screen/fans 100%)  this is my second card, first one was RMA'd last December and i haven't had a problem until now.   I thought it was dead for a moment but it was just some display port shenanigans. Card seems fine, but im not going to push my luck on this.
Outofstock4ever
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 210
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 04:49:09 (permalink)
Fayalite
Just don't play the game if there is a risk on the card model until we know better. I mean EVGA made a claim on why, doesn't mean that's true

i don't get this, it makes absolutely no sense. The problem can't be the game. If you cap the fps the problem can't continue, it's impossible. And if you do a pass on furmark the result must be the same.

EU- 12G-P5-3657-KR     2/25/2021 9:01:27 AM PT
EU - 08G-P5-3751-KR     2/22/2021 12:11:04 PM PT    
EU - 08G-P5-3663-KR     1/25/2021 8:05:36 AM PT
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 05:01:07 (permalink)
ExxtraThiccc
i got through a total of 72 minutes of New World and had 4 crashes (black screen/fans 100%)  this is my second card, first one was RMA'd last December and i haven't had a problem until now.   I thought it was dead for a moment but it was just some display port shenanigans. Card seems fine, but im not going to push my luck on this.

In some forums it is said that the cards from 2021 onwards the problem is solved ... so you say that is not true, right?
I'm ..... looking to order a new one ... since mine is from 2020 and how they talk about defective batches with bad welds ......
But if with those of 2021 there are also people with problems in the new world, I already have everything clearer ...
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 05:33:58 (permalink)
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO

Cheers ! Well, if it seems that new world is giving many problems ... did you try it? and if so ... did you have a problem?

Part of it is that many "gamers" just have really dodgy, unproven setups in general and they just haven't stressed them that hard playing at 1440P with some CPU bottlenecking.  Poor cooling, stupid undervolts, no OSD or datalogging, no stress testing, poor PSU, cable extensions, etc.

However it's clear at this point that the game can produce loads that can put an otherwise healthy card into protect.
kongfra
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 07:14:42 (permalink)
kevinc313
DESCONOCIDOPERDIDO

Part of it is that many "gamers" just have really dodgy, unproven setups in general and they just haven't stressed them that hard playing at 1440P with some CPU bottlenecking.  Poor cooling, stupid undervolts, no OSD or datalogging, no stress testing, poor PSU, cable extensions, etc.

However it's clear at this point that the game can produce loads that can put an otherwise healthy card into protect.

what i don't get why just this game causing it?  It not really a high end game unlike other games that really push the card?  Also Pcgamer is now reporting it happening to other manufacturers is it a flaw from Nvidia?

3080 TI XC3, i9-10850K, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram DDR4-3200 CL16 , EVGA Supernova G6 1000W 80+ Gold, Windows 10 Pro,  LG 27GP83B-B with Dual Dell S2716DG Monitor, 2 TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 07:17:27 (permalink)
kongfra
what i don't get why just this game causing it?

No one knows. ;)

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

brethall222
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 08:08:32 (permalink)
Is this the same with the 3080ti?

I have been playing it, and yeah the card gets really hot don't get me wrong... but I play on 1440p max settings and I haven't gotten a crash or anything. Granted it may be a bottleneck keeping my card from dying? I only have an I7 8700k... I don't know if this CPU bottlenecks the card, but either way... I haven't had an issue... Just want to know if it's affecting the ti series cards as well.
aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 08:16:14 (permalink)
More than likely it is the fact that all the aftermarket companies did not follow the strict power requirements schematics/ circuitry that Nvidia put into place . ( or they didn't fully disclose all the details to other companies ? )
- That is why Nvidia used a specially designed 12-pin adapter power plug for their boards.

Plus this new Dev team for Amazon , probably is very untested in their coding abilities and don't know completely what they are doing .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 08:26:38 (permalink)
kongfra

what i don't get why just this game causing it?

Because Amazon hired some clowns to develop it and they are doing something insanely wrong with the game engine that is not easy to fix.

I'm far from an expert on MMO's, but this reminds me of ARK.  Even 6 years later, it's a bear to run and took years to optimize.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/30 08:29:14
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 08:30:13 (permalink)
aka_STEVE_b

Plus this new Dev team for Amazon , probably is very untested in their coding abilities and don't know completely what they are doing .

There's a reason they are called "fire" tablets.
RogueMaster
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 08:54:27 (permalink)
kongfra

Also Pcgamer is now reporting it happening to other manufacturers is it a flaw from Nvidia?

PC Gamer is just late to the party. Other manufacturer's cards have had issues since the beginning. EVGA has had more cards go bad than anyone else, so they've been getting the most attention.

kongfra
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 12:50:45 (permalink)
RogueMaster
kongfra

Also Pcgamer is now reporting it happening to other manufacturers is it a flaw from Nvidia?

PC Gamer is just late to the party. Other manufacturer's cards have had issues since the beginning. EVGA has had more cards go bad than anyone else, so they've been getting the most attention.

i did not know that thought it was EVGA only since they came out and admitted there was something wrong in manufacturing

3080 TI XC3, i9-10850K, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram DDR4-3200 CL16 , EVGA Supernova G6 1000W 80+ Gold, Windows 10 Pro,  LG 27GP83B-B with Dual Dell S2716DG Monitor, 2 TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case
Planetgazer15
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 14:24:07 (permalink)
https://www.mmorpg.com/news/it-looks-like-new-world-is-reportedly-causing-gpu-issues-again-2000123220

Lets be honest, most of the problems comes from 3090 FTW3 cards
Fayalite
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 253
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 15:09:00 (permalink)
Outofstock4ever
Fayalite

i don't get this, it makes absolutely no sense. The problem can't be the game. If you cap the fps the problem can't continue, it's impossible. And if you do a pass on furmark the result must be the same.

Whatever the real reason, EVGA and others as it seems, have a trigger point of hardware failure. Which is triggered by New world, who is responsible? Hardware, yes. But if you know you have a week point on your hardware with a specific application, don't use it. Furmark is not anymore a stress test to validate the hardware as mentioned multiple time in this thread.

GM_Turtle
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/30 17:17:01 (permalink)
Played the 2nd New World Beta (the one a couple weeks ago) and within minutes my PC lost all power and crashed. I thought it was the PSU. That checked out fine (brand new EVGA 1000W Gold) then I thought "it had to be the mobo or cpu"....replaced those. (Z270 + i7 7700k to a Z590 i7 11700K) and turned out it was my newest and most expensive hardware, the EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming card the whole time. I thought to myself the whole time "theres no way the GPU failed." lol now after a hefty CPU/Mobo upgrade and a cross ship RMA from EVGA (that set me back a whopping almost $1800 collateral deposit) im finally up and running again. I won't go anywhere near New World anymore. Sucks too because a bunch of friends are playing it with no issues. 
ShadowNinja714
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/01 07:30:21 (permalink)
austinhouk802
ShadowNinja714
I tried playing just about half an hour ago with my 3090 FTW Ultra
As soon as I launched the game instant black screen and 100% fans.  Had to hold power to get the PC to shut off.  
I didn't even get to the main menu of the game to set any caps.

After 2 reboots I am back up and running... for now.

I purchased my card back in October and even emailed EVGA to check and make sure it was ok to run.  This is the response I got back:

"Hello, 
We have already tracked down the units that were affected which was an extremely small batch. There should not be any concerns with your card. 
Regards. 
EVGA"

So now I await a response from them again on if I should be starting an RMA or what not.

I followed the above advice and capped the FPS in Nvidia Control Panel for this one app only. I capped it yesterday to 60FPS and ran fine for about 3 hours before bed. This morning I kicked it up to 90FPS and had a black screen / 100% fans after about 30 minutes. I'm not CERTAIN that they are related or not, just reporting my findings so far.

ShadowNinja714
I just got a phone call from EVGA, they are starting an advanced RMA for my card. 
They did confirm it was a re-certified card that was "fully tested" and will still be covered by my warranty so we will see what happens.

Just as an update that I felt like I needed to share.
Later that day my card died just on a bootup.  Heard a pop and then smelled that burning electronic smell.  So it was on it's way out the door.
I did start questioning support to verify that the replacement card I am getting won't have the same issue. So I will try again with their suggestion.

My Questions:
With the replacement card, would it be ok to play New World?
If I do, are there are suggestions to prevent the replacement card from failing like the first?

Their response:
"Yes, you will receive a new revision of the card that should not have this issue. This only affected earlier batches of the card and Amazon has assured us this should not happen further.
One thing I do recommend is to set a frame cap to match the monitor refresh rate. As it is a MMO it should not necessarily need more than the base refresh rate. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns."
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/01 07:50:27 (permalink)
kongfra

what i don't get why just this game causing it?  It not really a high end game unlike other games that really push the card?  Also Pcgamer is now reporting it happening to other manufacturers is it a flaw from Nvidia?

Its not just New World causing that issue.  When the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 was released, many customers also had similar issues with many other DX11 games.  New World is just the latest game to cause the issue.  When the issue happened not long ago with the game causing EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 cards to die, it also happened with a few specific other manufacturer's cards that had issues with the power delivery system or fan controllers.
kongfra
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/01 08:03:45 (permalink)
bavor
kongfra

Its not just New World causing that issue.  When the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 was released, many customers also had similar issues with many other DX11 games.  New World is just the latest game to cause the issue.  When the issue happened not long ago with the game causing EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 cards to die, it also happened with a few specific other manufacturer's cards that had issues with the power delivery system or fan controllers.

which other games caused it just curious? I want to make sure to stay way from them LOL

I had no idea this is the first time I have heard of this with a specific game

bkstradling
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/01 08:47:16 (permalink)
ShadowNinja714

Their response:
"Yes, you will receive a new revision of the card that should not have this issue. This only affected earlier batches of the card and Amazon has assured us this should not happen further.
One thing I do recommend is to set a frame cap to match the monitor refresh rate. As it is a MMO it should not necessarily need more than the base refresh rate. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns."

Why is Amazon assuring the manufacturers that their game won't break the graphics cards?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?
evga1081
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/01 08:53:30 (permalink)
The reason is that their poor coding resulted in hardware fault(s) being pushed to their breaking point(s)
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 34 of 46
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile