EVGA

EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 46
Author
RogueMaster
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/11 12:17:28 (permalink)
eric-mt

The warranty replacement I received today has 0.1 and red lips. The card itself looks pristine, like a new card. The packaging was generic.

You're almost certainly looking at another RMA when NW is released. Most of the cards that failed were Rev 0.1 cards, even after the 'fix' was deployed in game.

It would not be a bad idea to run some benchmarks with Time Spy and/or Port Royal to see how the card is handling voltages. I'd be surprised if the old red lips cards were not susceptible to the same failures.

eric-mt
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/11 20:34:42 (permalink)
"Almost certain" is certainly an exaggeration. While most cards that failed were 0.1, most 0.1 cards did not fail.

post edited by eric-mt - 2021/08/11 20:35:50
LegallyBlind85
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/11 23:20:26 (permalink)
mine exploded after 56.5Hours on New world ( i had losing signal of monitor way before playing New WORLD / gpu drivers getting corrupted/ i reinstall windows like 5 times...... all this time i suspected CPU /MoBo) ...... something was wrong with the card from beggining ( i blame PSU= i bought 1600 T2 .....i blame heat= i put on water..... i blame memory = i bought 32gb 4000mhz Cl17 Memory )
-----on short i wasent enjoing my new gpu ever since i bought it
my GPu is sandwich on Water ( bykski waterblock + active watercooled backplate) ...i   NEVER saw more than 65 C Hot Spot ... thought dead after 10 months of using it ( losing Monitor signal was one a week...and more often and more often.... up to 4...5 times a day...... only a restart my monitor would come to life)
eric-mt
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/12 12:06:30 (permalink)
LegallyBlind85
mine exploded after 56.5Hours on New world ( i had losing signal of monitor way before playing New WORLD / gpu drivers getting corrupted/ i reinstall windows like 5 times...... all this time i suspected CPU /MoBo) ...... something was wrong with the card from beggining ( i blame PSU= i bought 1600 T2 .....i blame heat= i put on water..... i blame memory = i bought 32gb 4000mhz Cl17 Memory )
-----on short i wasent enjoing my new gpu ever since i bought it
my GPu is sandwich on Water ( bykski waterblock + active watercooled backplate) ...i   NEVER saw more than 65 C Hot Spot ... thought dead after 10 months of using it ( losing Monitor signal was one a week...and more often and more often.... up to 4...5 times a day...... only a restart my monitor would come to life)

There is definitely something wrong with these cards, either in the hardware, firmware or drivers. However I never had my card explode or had to reinstall anything nor did I lose monitor signal. My machine just shut off while playing forcing a reboot. It started in the recent New World Alpha test and progressively got worse until my machine would not boot with the card installed after a final crash while playing the most recent New World beta test.  

That progressive nature of this failure seems to me to indicate a hardware failure. Whether that is due a part being used beyond its capabilities due to faulty design or software that does not properly limit the card's use or a manufacturing quality problem I have no way to determine. 

Debugging this issue probably requires a pretty well instrumented lab. Something few people except a manufacturer of this type of equipment are likely to possess. 

We are dependent on EVGA to solve this issue. How EVGA responds to it will definitely influence any further purchase decisions on my part.

Kylearan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/12 14:06:31 (permalink)
Not sure why eVGA said it's "noise on the i2c bus" when several users already confirmed directly that when the 2 million RPM appears, the fans ARE actually revving to maximum speed (and sometimes a black screen follows soon after).
eric-mt
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/12 19:21:31 (permalink)
Kylearan
Not sure why eVGA said it's "noise on the i2c bus" when several users already confirmed directly that when the 2 million RPM appears, the fans ARE actually revving to maximum speed (and sometimes a black screen follows soon after).

Noise on the bus can confuse the temperature control algorithm in the BIOS. The BIOS as a result thinks the card temperature is very very high. Like 2^16 (64K) degrees C. This could cause the BIOS to call for an extremely high fan RPM, say 2 million. In reality the BIOS should never call for a fan RPM higher than what the fan hardware is capable of, and the fan controller should ignore such baloney.

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2366
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/13 07:13:18 (permalink)
eric-mt
Kylearan

Noise on the bus can confuse the temperature control algorithm in the BIOS. The BIOS as a result thinks the card temperature is very very high. Like 2^16 (64K) degrees C. This could cause the BIOS to call for an extremely high fan RPM, say 2 million. In reality the BIOS should never call for a fan RPM higher than what the fan hardware is capable of, and the fan controller should ignore such baloney.

I don't think they ever said the fans weren't revving to maximum when the "2 million RPM" appears in GPUz. They just said the reading was wrong. Neither is the fan running at 2 million RPM, nor is the BIOS "requesting" it to. It's just a bad reading. The BIOS doesn't request RPMs...it requests %'s. These are PWM fans and all the BIOS can request is a duty cycle between 0 and 1 (100%). Even if it were to do something weird in the software and "ask for a 7 out of 1" (insert Kevin James's "Tim gave me a G!" bit here), the hardware can only drive to a "1" which is full-voltage all the time, which is 100% fan-speed. That readout in GPUz is not what anything is "requesting", it is the reading from the tach line on the fan. So when they say "noise on the line is causing the readings to be bad", it has nothing to do with what the fans are or are not trying to do.

What I find interesting and a bit concerning personally is that they're planning on releasing a firmware update that will "fix" this "noise on the i2c line". I don't know what the source of the noise is, but I don't think a firmware update is going to make it go away. I think at best, it will just ignore the noise with some logic filtering. I mean...maybe if they know what is causing the noise and they can adjust how that's operating with the firmware update, it will actually fix it, but I'm just a wee bit skeptical on that.

Also, the fan issue and erroneous RPM readings are a red-herring. Rather, a symptom of the actual problem, not the problem itself in relation to the card failures. What I find interesting here is that the cards failing have analog VRM controllers (no i2c lines), so there's no relation to noise on the i2c line causing erroneous fan RPM readings (and temperature readings?) and that corrupting the VRMs: they don't even talk to the fan controllers...or anything digitally for that matter.

Something New World is doing (and other titles like LoL and Halo) seems to be causing these cards to operate in such a manner that they overheat or request huge amounts of current. We don't know if VRMs are actually blowing, or if fuses are popping, etc. So we don't know what part is failing, but the fan issue is just a side-effect. Something is getting over-stressed and when that happens, yes, the fans will ramp up to 100% (or whatever their programmed maximum is anyway) as the card tries to save itself. And just to clarify, New World and other titles should not be able to cause this. Clearly they do create a situation where the cards are operating in a state that doesn't allow them to protect themselves (they often try to, which is the earlier shut-downs before they actually fail), but the cards should protect themselves better and more reliably. It sounds like what is failing is something intended to protect the card only a limited number of times. For example, MOVs are a device that can protect from over-voltage spikes, but they usually have a limited number of uses before they fail short. Sort of a "well how many times is this toaster going to be hit by lightning?" type of protection. The built-in OCP in the VRMs is usually made in such a way that they can hit it again and again without actually damaging anything. It's almost like it triggers the OCP a couple times, but in doing that, causes the OCP to relax it's set-point each time...which eventually allows enough current to pop a fuse. This is not a something I'm suggesting is happening, but a theoretical idea intended to illustrate what could cause the failures people are describing. Until they give us any details (if they ever do), that's all we can do. Even if that were the case (which it probably isn't) and you could solve the OCP shifting issue, you'd still have to ask yourself "why are games like New World pushing the card into OCP protection?!" That's the many thousands of dollars of RMAs and bad publicity value question: What is it about the design that could allow a poorly coded game or an older title not designed for this hardware to create a situation where the card can't protect itself adequately? 

TLDR (because before I knew it I've written another book in here): fan RPM issue not related to card failures, just bad data on the lines. Card failure issue still unknown. Conjecture! Mystery! Rabble Rabble Rabble!
post edited by Nike_7688 - 2021/08/13 07:18:41

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/13 23:49:11 (permalink)
I think the issue is relate to PSU OCP or OPP
what I think is happening is voltage droop is so bad on an immediate demand from both CPU,GPU and the system - there is a massive drop in Voltage
the PSU tries to compensate by applying more voltage - to a point that the demand levels off and you have too much Power
im hearing some OCP and OPP have 50-60% over Power levels/voltage levels

some PSU manufacturers maybe now addressing OPP more closely and may only allow 10-20% over

if thats the case the the severe power increase from the PSU may be the reason

it would explain why other cards include AMD and previous series cards have failed...yes even FE cards failed as well as 900 series and radeon 500 series

that and a design flaw on the fan side on EVGA

if they do not use a VRM on that circuit - and rather use straight noisy power from the PSU
it may relate to the Fan speed problem as well as the fuse being tripped on the fan circuit

the poor power or noisy power cause the speed or signal from fan to be noisy back to the GPU where you are getting incorrect speed numbers

I don't care if you think you have a good PSU - it might have been good for older hardware that is not as picky or doesn't draw as much
some brands may have a OPP issue we are not aware of - because they haven't really been tested - or tortured like they are now

id really suggest that PSU manufacturers may have to revamp PSU lines to make OPP or OCP more of an issue and to test designs more thoroughly
Id also  say to the gpu designers to rethink how power is delivered to the GPU on the card and to try and limit the ever increasing power demands
basically design the circuits to handle more possibilities of power problems and corrections for over power - basically think no PSU is perfect and to desugn the card with more robust ability to handle a PSU thats not up to snuff or extreme Overpower

2nd to eliminate the problems lets try to design GPU's that use less power - not MORE POWER 
like people want house heaters as computers??? really??? expect to have issues if you keep increasing power use and PSU have not gone any real change in years
like the next cards are gonna use 20-30% more power??? Like ...Whattt????

we really do need better chip materials to come along

PS: still waiting on EVGA to start saying something to us

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/08/13 23:56:01

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

HawkBat
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/14 02:19:08 (permalink)
Does anyone know if the Kingpin 3090 is susceptible to this issue?
Carmen813
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 202
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/14 03:57:52 (permalink)
My kingpin has been fine, my 3090ftw3 ultra had a similar failure in league of legends in November.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/14 04:38:23 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious
I think the issue is relate to PSU OCP or OPP

I disagree. Makes zero sense. All you are doing is creating another patch to protect a bad card from destroying itself.

The problem manifests itself as OCP on the card tripping over and over again (black screen / 100% fans) until finally it happens too many times that the VRM pops and the fuse blows (or the fuse blows before the VRM pops, but less likely).

PSUs with too aggressive of OCP were an issue initially, right? In your theory and solution methodology, the PSU tripping problem would simply happen more and more often and then people would again blame the PSU.

What if the GPU is the problem? ;)

What if all the symptoms we have seen since release are all adding up and all confirm the same problem? I feel like I am beating a dead horse, but all the evidence really does line up. All the cards with the worst power balancing have had the most problems. It's no coincidence that EVGA created a PCB revision. It's no coincidence that the old PCB had the majority of problems. It's no coincidence that EVGA is being silent about the root-cause and is instead RMAing as fast as possible to reduce complaints about the issue.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/08/14 12:27:42

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/14 04:57:17 (permalink)
If a GPU requires super-duper-secret-sauce-special PSU's to not die, it's a bad GPU.
Jack-Rabbit
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 163
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/14 08:21:10 (permalink)
After a 10 days finally getting new card shipped out. Except I received 2 emails with 2 serial numbers in sequence. Wouldn't that be nice to receive 2 cards for 1..  LOL

Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/15 16:23:02 (permalink)
Jack-Rabbit
After a 10 days finally getting new card shipped out. Except I received 2 emails with 2 serial numbers in sequence. Wouldn't that be nice to receive 2 cards for 1..  LOL

Really curious if you actually receive two cards.
Reminds me of the guy who had to RMA a MSI 3080 Ventus X3 and got a 3090 Suprim X in return from MSI....well I guess that's one way to make someone a fanboy for life...
jpoulos
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/15 16:56:30 (permalink)
That's pretty sad for a flagship card costing as much as car from the 60's LOL
ViscousSock
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/15 21:28:14 (permalink)
is this still a common problem?

2070 WINDFORCE 8G|i7-8700
LegallyBlind85
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/20 21:00:15 (permalink)
my card poped after 56 Hours of New world ....  i got it replaced 3 weeks ago
sooooo...... i sould not play New World on release with the new card ???
anybody knows >???

btw i saw somebody talking about psu or temp problem ( i got evga 1600 T2 Psu  and watercooling my 3090ftw3 on both sides with bykski waterbock 65C max temp)]
RogueMaster
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/21 00:42:06 (permalink)
LegallyBlind85
my card popped after 56 Hours of New world ....  i got it replaced 3 weeks ago
sooooo...... i should not play New World on release with the new card ???
anybody knows >???

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Amazon did a band-aid patch to limit framerates in menus, but if it's a hardware problem with the cards themselves I don't know that game updates are going to be sufficient to prevent cards from dying.

python
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 389
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/21 10:14:21 (permalink)
this isnt isolated to this issue with the 30 series cards..no way in heck i would even consider buying one..they are way over priced..not readily available and arent using quality parts. 

objective to reach 16k posts   

9700k @5.0ghz
asus z390 hero xi
Nvidia 4070
thermalright silver arrow sb-e
EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 PS

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/08/21 13:29:59 (permalink)
python
this isnt isolated to this issue with the 30 series cards..no way in heck i would even consider buying one..they are way over priced..not readily available and arent using quality parts. 

Agreed. They were dying the same way 8 months ago.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 14:12:19 (permalink)
So now there's this.

Thoughts?

https://www.pcworld.com/a...geforce-rtx-3090s.html
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 14:15:57 (permalink)
Kylearan
So now there's this.

Thoughts?

Who says a load can't kill a card?

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49180
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 14:19:06 (permalink)
Kylearan
So now there's this.

Thoughts?

Interesting. A rare soldering issue eh?
Perpixel
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 15:19:56 (permalink)
So EVGA can now issue a recall on the small affected batch and tell us the serial number to look for!
liud21
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 15:27:42 (permalink)
they forgot about all the cards that died before New World... lol...
Perpixel
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 15:34:22 (permalink)
We are all "1%"er hehehe
KeithW19
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 19:44:39 (permalink)
Tom's has the article as well... Myself and several others had cards fail and only played NW after the menu frame limiting patch. Is there any official source of the findings about the soldering? They mention it was findings from EVGA but I don't see anything directly from them
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 21:14:10 (permalink)
KeithW19
Tom's has the article as well... Myself and several others had cards fail and only played NW after the menu frame limiting patch. Is there any official source of the findings about the soldering? They mention it was findings from EVGA but I don't see anything directly from them

Yeah "workmanship" is an ultra vague term.  The parts are QFN surface mount, they went on in a surface mount line, reflow etc.  There's all sorts of things that could have gone wrong, not enough or too much solder, cold solder, voids, solder balls, etc but my best guess is that the under body case ground had insufficient solder and wasn't caught by an x-ray inspection. Or maybe the terminations being insufficient. Probably due to a bad day on the solder paste stencil machine, going a little shy on the paste, it being in the center of the board, pressure being off, board warp, thickness variation, etc.  Or maybe they had variation in the surface finish on the pads of the pcb that threw off the solder joint. Or maybe they had to revise the stencil for solder volume at some point.  Or maybe the reflow temp profile was a bit off due to the mass of the adjacent inductors.  The part package is very common, easy to place and self centering in reflow.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/02 06:11:14
ajs12345
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 21:45:26 (permalink)
I certainly hope they do tell us specific serial numbers so we can at least check and see if we need to be worried / send ours back.
man114
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/09/01 22:27:30 (permalink)
I’d like to know too, if they can isolate the serial # range at least give some peace of mind so we know. Am I gonna load some new game at some point out only to blow my card up?
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 46
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile