AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique

Author
danielxcloud
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2010/05/06 20:36:49 (permalink)
Well folks, I built my new rig about 2-3 weeks ago and..
I put the Arctic Silver Ceramique on my CPU and not AS5.

I didn't have any AS5 on me at the time and didn't really do my research on TIM.

Should I scrape (lightly of course) off my Ceramique to put AS5 on, or will I not notice that much of a temp difference?

Thanks in advance. (My CPU has been running a little hot and I want to cool it off some, wondering if this would help)

20 Replies Related Threads

JeffreyHam
    R.I.P. Friend
    • Total Posts : 7737
    • Ribbons : 126
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/06 23:22:20 (permalink)
    If this is what you used: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina.htm

That is the same exact product that I have on my CPU and GFX cards. I have been using it for several years...it does a real fine job.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPLOAD A COPY OF YOUR INVOICE 

= My Current Linked and Synced Settings

All detailed system components are listed on my Mods Rigs page
    G9200
    • Total Posts : 15
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 00:16:58 (permalink)
    I use AS5 for CPU and Ceramique for GPUs/NB/SB

Arctic Silver Ceramique doesn't perform as good as AS5, but it's "harmless": AS5 is conductive and has killed one mobo for me (AS5 in the CPU socket).  I'd guess differance is 3-5C, not much unless you're aiming for abs max OC.

AS5 becomes more liquid when it's warm, let rig cool down before reseating HSF etc.

Q9650 (lapped) 4050MHz, 1.36875vcore, 1.35v FSB, 1.55v SPP, GTLVREF 20,10,20,10, 1.25v NF200, RAM 900MHz - Linpack Maximum 25 runs
    TRUE Black (lapped)
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW (Pencil vdroop mod, SZ1I BIOS)
    OCZ Blades PC2-9200 2x2GB Low Volt 1.8v
    SLI Leadtek GXT260 Extreme+ (216SP, 1.06v, 65nm)
    Dell SP2309W (2048x1152)
    Corsair HX1000
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Antec 900
    Pentium777
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 00:53:10 (permalink)
    Same for me I used AS5 (had a tube still) and ceramique for NB/SB

Don't know how G9200 killed a mobo with AS5 though, did you get it accidentally into the CPU socket directly? I used piece of credit card to apply a very thin layer onto CPU.
    JeffreyHam
    R.I.P. Friend
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 02:12:40 (permalink)
    Oooops! I caught myself in a little white lie. When I upgraded my CPU cooler (4 months ago) from Rev.1 to Rev.2...I left the AC MX-2 that came pre-applied on it to check and see if it would do any better. Temps did not noticably change.

danielxcloud
    SSC Member
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 08:50:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses!

I'm going to "take off" my ASCerm. and reapply AS5 this weekend and see if I get any noticeable temp. changes.

EX3CUT1ON
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 09:10:57 (permalink)
    Like other people have already stated use a non conductive tim since it isn't worth the risk plus you can get equaly good non conductive tim as conductive tim these days if not better, hope this helps.
    G9200
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 09:15:15 (permalink)
    Pentium777
    Don't know how G9200 killed a mobo with AS5 though, did you get it accidentally into the CPU socket directly? I used piece of credit card to apply a very thin layer onto CPU.

Noticed that many times there is more TIM on one side of the HSF? Always more on one side..anyways, that time I had little too much TIM, and it had come some (half a drop) on the socket LID...didn't notice it when I picked up the cpu: that half drop went inside the socket...

775 socket lid covering the cpu

thats why I mentioned "let rig cool"(TIM not so fluid)

I still use only AS5 for cpus LOL, but I'm more careful now.

post edited by G9200 - 2010/05/07 09:23:56

Q9650 (lapped) 4050MHz, 1.36875vcore, 1.35v FSB, 1.55v SPP, GTLVREF 20,10,20,10, 1.25v NF200, RAM 900MHz - Linpack Maximum 25 runs
    TRUE Black (lapped)
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW (Pencil vdroop mod, SZ1I BIOS)
    OCZ Blades PC2-9200 2x2GB Low Volt 1.8v
    SLI Leadtek GXT260 Extreme+ (216SP, 1.06v, 65nm)
    Dell SP2309W (2048x1152)
    Corsair HX1000
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Antec 900
    JeffreyHam
    R.I.P. Friend
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/07 09:55:24 (permalink)
    That was a hard way to learn a lesson.

nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8452
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/11 18:38:57 (permalink)
    I am a huge fan of the Ceramique.  very good for sub zero temps
    danielxcloud
    SSC Member
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/11 20:21:10 (permalink)
    nateman_doo

Really? Even on CPUs? (Dumb question I suppose).
    Is it better than AS5 or similar?

JeffreyHam
    R.I.P. Friend
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/12 00:23:22 (permalink)
    danielxcloud

nateman_doo

Refer to post #2.

danielxcloud
    SSC Member
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/12 12:15:34 (permalink)
    jeffreyham

danielxcloud

nateman_doo

Refer to post #2.

Touche.
    My temps are getting higher and I can't figure out why (not changing settings) so I'm a little frantic right now. Sorry!

Edit: I actually realized I put on Arctic Silver Alumina, and not Ceramique. /Shrug.
    post edited by danielxcloud - 2010/05/12 12:19:44

dlb134
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 432
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/13 15:00:04 (permalink)
    Don't use arctic silver that stuff is out dated IC Diamond 7 is where it's at: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-7-carat-thermal-compound-15-gram-p-16605.html

also for the record as5 isn't conductive it is capacitive which will still create similar problems.

boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    • Total Posts : 12561
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/13 15:22:13 (permalink)
    IC Diamond 7 and Diamond 24 are very nice, but also very thick.  But people recommend letting the tube sit in a cup of hot water, and that will supposedly make it thinner. 

OCZ Freeze and Arctic Cooling MX-2 are great pastes that don't cost too much.  Being based on aluminum oxide, these pastes are not electrically conductive or capacitive, they are thin and easy to apply, they require no curing time, and they have excellent performance (comparable with IC Diamond).  From my testing, OCZ Freeze performs slightly better than AC MX-2.

Arctic Cooling MX-3 has all of the features of MX-2 but better performance, and it is supposed to be slightly thicker.  I'll be trying this next, but I still have some OCZ Freeze left.  I say go for MX-3.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16567
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/13 17:41:32 (permalink)
    G9200

Arctic Silver Ceramique doesn't perform as good as AS5, but it's "harmless": AS5 is conductive and has killed one mobo for me (AS5 in the CPU socket).  I'd guess differance is 3-5C, not much unless you're aiming for abs max OC.

AS5 becomes more liquid when it's warm, let rig cool down before reseating HSF etc.

AS5 is not conductive.

I had a whole thread on this subject due to the numerous times I read people stating that it was.  Do I have to throw the link to it back in my signature again?

Look on their website.  It is not conductive.  But it is slightly capacitive.  I am not convinced that it is possible to destroy computer hardware with AS5.  It is possible to make computer hardware unstable with AS5 if placed on sensitive circuitry (such as memory), but I doubt that you could actually ruin the hardware.  If you are able to remove the misplaced AS5, the computer should be restored to proper operation.  Of course thorough removal of AS5 isn't always possible depending on the location. 

AS Ceramique should be used in locations with close proximity to sensitive circuitry instead of AS5 since AS Ceramique is not conductive or capacitive.  In locations where sensitive circuitry is not in close proximity to the application of the thermal paste, AS5 should be used since it offers better thermal transfer than AS Ceramique.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2010/05/13 17:43:59

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

dlb134
    iCX Member
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/13 17:53:56 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

G9200

AS5 is not conductive.

I had a whole thread on this subject due to the numerous times I read people stating that it was.  Do I have to throw the link to it back in my signature again?

Look on their website.  It is not conductive.  But it is slightly capacitive.  I am not convinced that it is possible to destroy computer hardware with AS5.  It is possible to make computer hardware unstable with AS5 if placed on sensitive circuitry (such as memory), but I doubt that you could actually ruin the hardware.  If you are able to remove the misplaced AS5, the computer should be restored to proper operation.  Of course thorough removal of AS5 isn't always possible depending on the location. 

AS Ceramique should be used in locations with close proximity to sensitive circuitry instead of AS5 since AS Ceramique is not conductive or capacitive.  In locations where sensitive circuitry is not in close proximity to the application of the thermal paste, AS5 should be used since it offers better thermal transfer than AS Ceramique.

AS5 is capacitive and a capacitor's job in a circuit is to build up charge and when the capacitance is reached the capacitor becomes conductive. "The usual breakdown route is that the field strength becomes large enough to pull electrons in the dielectric from their atoms thus causing conduction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor#Breakdown_voltage

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/13 20:44:01 (permalink)
    dlb134

ty_ger07

G9200

AS5 is not conductive.

AS5 is capacitive and a capacitor's job in a circuit is to build up charge and when the capacitance is reached the capacitor becomes conductive. "The usual breakdown route is that the field strength becomes large enough to pull electrons in the dielectric from their atoms thus causing conduction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor#Breakdown_voltage

No.  A capacitor typically becomes non-conductive once it achieves full capacitance.

A capacitor will handle in-rushing current as it charges and thus act like a load, but it does not pass current through it from the source to ground while charging and once charged it acts as an insulator.  How could a computer even turn on if a capacitor became conductive once it reached full capacity?  We wouldn't even get power out of our PSUs if that were the case.  How could a capacitor function?  It would be perpetually charging and discharging through itself repeatedly and would fail to operate in the manner it does.

What you are referring to is more important in capacitor design.  In typical applications with proper circuit design, you will never reach a point where capacitor breakdown voltage becomes an issue.  And that being the case, you typically can't associate conductance with a capacitor.

The situation we are referring to is not a typical situation though and is not engineered.  But still.  AS5 is "very slightly" capacitive and given the low voltage associated with computer hardware, I am positive that capacitor breakdown voltage never becomes an issue.  How much voltage would you need in order to start worrying about capacitor breakdown voltage threshold using AS5?  I would think hundreds of volts.  Of course there is no documentation I can find available which states the dielectric constant of AS5 and thus scienifically proving my argument is not possible.  But, lack of documentation of AS5 acting as a conductor is enough evidence for me.  Common sense also prevails. 

Not an issue.  Not conductive.  End of story.

Not Electrically Conductive:
    Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
    (While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

What they are referring to above regarding the potential of causing problems if bridged between two close-proximity electrical paths is the negative affects capactitance can have on a sensitive electrical circuit.  As I am sure you are aware, many circuits in a computer are effectively AC type circuits where adding capacitance to the circuit could throw off the designed impedance of the circuit and cause stability issues if the circuit is sensitive enough to this sort of situation.

Until you can find any evidence to prove otherwise, I find no reason to perpetuate this false statement that AS5 is conductive.  Yet the myth somehow continues.

Go ahead.  Experiment with AS5 and tell me when it starts acting as a conductor.

Here is a very simple experiment anyone can do.  All it requires is a AA battery, a discharged 100 microfarad capacitor, and a LED.  Place the LED and capacitor in series accross the battery noting proper polarity.

What happened?  The LED illuminated at first and slowly became dimmer and dimmer and then finally extinguished completely.  Why?  As the capacitor charged, it was a load which was drawing current.  The current had to go through the LED and thus the LED illuminated.  The LED illuminating wasn't because the capacitor was acting as a conductor but instead because the capacitor was acting as a load.  As the capacitor charged, current draw became less and less until if reached a point of being immeasurable and thus the LED extinguished.

If your statement is true and all capacitors become conductors once then achieve full capacity, the LED would have become brighter as the capacitor charged until it reached full brighness.

If we wanted to instead see the effects of capacitor breakdown voltage, we would plug the same capacitor into a 120v light socket.  We would then stand back and turn on the light switch and watch/listen to the capacitor explode as the high voltage arched across the capacitor.  But as explained, this effect does not apply to the topic of debate.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2010/05/13 22:42:34
    dlb134
    iCX Member
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/15 13:06:42 (permalink)
    " A fully discharged capacitor, having a terminal voltage of zero, will initially act as a short-circuit when attached to a source of voltage, drawing maximum current as it begins to build a charge. Over time, the capacitor's terminal voltage rises to meet the applied voltage from the source, and the current through the capacitor decreases correspondingly. Once the capacitor has reached the full voltage of the source, it will stop drawing current from it, and behave essentially as an open-circuit."

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_16/2.html 

I had it backwards when it starts out it will let a lot of voltage through so it can be conductive, it's a matter of luck. And seriously it has pieces of silver in it so if there was enough silver between two traces it would also be conductive I don't care what they say if there is metal in it then it could happen; however it is highly unlikely and I wouldn't risk it since there are better alternatives that don't have this problem.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/15 22:59:59 (permalink)
    dlb134

I had it backwards when it starts out it will let a lot of voltage through so it can be conductive, it's a matter of luck. And seriously it has pieces of silver in it so if there was enough silver between two traces it would also be conductive I don't care what they say if there is metal in it then it could happen; however it is highly unlikely and I wouldn't risk it since there are better alternatives that don't have this problem.

Well, not exactly.  A capacitor is never conductive in a typical application as long as the applied voltage is within reason as stated in my previous post.  Remember what I said earlier about the capacitor acting as a load and causing the LED to light brightly at first.  I specifically said that the LED lighted because the capacitor was a load drawing current through the LED and also specifically said that the LED did not light due to the capacitor conducting electricity. 

A capactitor does not allow current through it.  It does not transmit voltage from the source side to the ground side.  In that aspect, it absolutely does not act as a conductor.  A conductor conducts electricity through it from the source to the ground.  A capacitor does not.  A capacitor is a load which will absorb energy and thus draw current from the wires connecting to it, but does not pass voltage from the higher potential source to the lower potential ground.

This is all rather unimportant since the capacitor we are referring to is a very poor capacitor; if it were a good capacitor, it would be sold as some sort of flexible capacitor.  I am sure that the current draw caused by AS5 couldn't be more than a couple of milliamps (thousands of an amp) in a computer application.  Once again, this is another item to add to your list of tests.

AS5 has micronized particles of silver in it.  Not really pieces per se.  It isn't like it could ever have a chunk of silver in it large enough to bridge a connection. 

AS5 simply will not cause hardware to fry and that is the myth I am trying to "bust".  It would be nice to stop reading people writing about AS5 being conductive.  It simply is not.  I think AS would be out of business by now due to damage done to hardware and false advertising if you could really find AS5 to be truely conductive.  It isn't conductive.  It is capacitive and a capacitor doesn't conduct electricity; a capacitor is a load, not a conductor.  And AS is only slightly capacitive to the point that the capacitance isn't much of a threat either in most circuits.  As I said, the only risk AS5 has is due to negatively affecting the designed impedance of an AC type circuit in super sensitive logic circuits such as for memory and GTL.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2010/05/15 23:11:23
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8452
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re:AS5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique 2010/05/17 07:40:43 (permalink)
      these threads always turn into PC vs MAC type debates...I just know that I use ceramique and it works, and I use DICE cooling. 

As for the chicken/egg or capacitive/conductive, I shorted out a 9800GT videocard using Artic Silver Alumina.  I had strange display when using too much AS5, but I just cleaned it all off, and was more careful with it and nothing was damaged.

I just use ceramique and don't have to be careful, but thats just me.  Tyger knows his stuff, as I am sure you do too dlb.  

OP, use whatever paste you would like.  You will not have to worry about anything with Ceramique, and since its already on there and works, why reinvent the wheel? 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile