EVGA

FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
lempo
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1084
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 11:14:16 (permalink)
JustinHEMI
If your first inclination is to gather your kids and cross the street, you're the problem, not the gun owner.

So the person that would choose to move their family out of the way of a stranger brandishing a deadly weapon is the problem? ... that gave me a good laugh, Thanks for that...

I hope for your sake that's not the argument you choose to hang your hat on...

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11233
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 11:44:18 (permalink)
lempo
 The people that are licensed to carry have never really been the problem in the first place.

That is the biggest take-away from this entire thread.

lempo
When you see a law enforcement agent carrying a gun, you instantly recognize that as part of their job, to uphold the laws that society has deemed as a necessity. It comes with a badge and uniform that says this person has at least received some level of training and is endorsed by an organization that should have your best interest in mind (even though that's not always the case, it was the founding principal). Then on the other hand, you might be walking down the street with your family and you see John Q. Public wearing a sidearm.

P.S. choose your responses wisely! the Admins open carry on these forums...

I can understand that.  I was sitting in my armory a few months ago and a few of my Soldiers were walking around with their M4's and I said to myself (as I ate my lunch) what other place of employment could do this sort of thing?  I look at the joes like they are carrying screwdrivers.  The weapon is just a tool to do a job.  To others, its an evil thing.  If I see an open carry, I know that guy has gone through the legal process (not that this would EVER be in NJ).  That shows responsibility.  And like you said, its the folks that are licensed to carry are not the problem. 

...and I lol'd at the admins open carry.  I hate everyone cause they can carry and I cant!  :P
Damn Jersey.  Might as well be Australia.  Id be lying though if I said it didn't irk me that those of you that CAN carry, DONT.  Simply because it is a right that is given to me by my country, but taken away from me by my state.  So those of you that live in gun friendly states, I encourage you to exercise your rights.  You know what happens when you don't exercise something, it goes into atrophy. 
nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 11:54:26 (permalink)
lempo
JustinHEMI
If your first inclination is to gather your kids and cross the street, you're the problem, not the gun owner.

So the person that would choose to move their family out of the way of a stranger brandishing a deadly weapon is the problem? ... that gave me a good laugh, Thanks for that...

Justin does have a point.  Its not brandishing, its carrying.  The licensed gun owner just has it on his hip.  Its as harmless there and it is sitting on a table in nobody's hand.  If he was waving it around like a crazy person then you may want to cross the street.

He isn't saying it to be mean.  Thats just how you feel. You can't help how you feel.  Me being from Jersey, I would side with how you feel if I had my daughters with me.  HOWEVER, if I was carrying as well (concealed or otherwise) I wouldn't fear him.  Id probably have a conversation about his sidearm.  what you like about it etc.  You are right, you don't know how much training that person had, but I know how much I have, and if that law abiding citizen suddenly went on a rampage he would be dispatched with the quickness.
rlb9682
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1049
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 12:07:23 (permalink)
I lived in GA prior to living in TX and Kennsaw, GA had open carry. I thought it was pretty novel to see in the city, especially among shop owners. They've had open carry since 1981(?) if I remember correctly.  I won't bother going into statistics or studies, the info's out there if you want to look it up, but open carry hasn't affected the city negatively as far as tourism, commerce, or crime. I think a lot of the arguments about open carry, for and against,  are much ado about nothing. 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

lempo
FTW Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 12:43:10 (permalink)
nateman_doo
lempo
JustinHEMI

Justin does have a point.  Its not brandishing, its carrying.  The licensed gun owner just has it on his hip.  Its as harmless there and it is sitting on a table in nobody's hand.  If he was waving it around like a crazy person then you may want to cross the street.

He isn't saying it to be mean.  Thats just how you feel. You can't help how you feel.  Me being from Jersey, I would side with how you feel if I had my daughters with me.  HOWEVER, if I was carrying as well (concealed or otherwise) I wouldn't fear him.  Id probably have a conversation about his sidearm.  what you like about it etc.  You are right, you don't know how much training that person had, but I know how much I have, and if that law abiding citizen suddenly went on a rampage he would be dispatched with the quickness.

Those are all fair points. I also should have added that I would not be the person to move my family across the street. I'm a pretty big dude and I can sometimes see people shy away from me even without a gun. That and I have owned and been around guns my entire life so I understand that it's a tool, really no different than the hammer in my toolbox. It's how you use it that makes it a weapon. But, I also have enough empathy to realize that the general public is largely uneducated about firearms and would see the gun and not the responsible person carrying it and freak out. I think we can all agree that there is an unfavorable stigma associated with handguns in general.

I think maybe I'm being misunderstood here so let me see if I can clear some of that up. I have no problem with responsible adults openly carrying a sidearm. In fact, If you are going to carrying a sidearm I would rather be able to see it, rather than be surprised by it. I was only stating why I personally would not carry one. So, once again ... not against open carry... But, able to see both sides of the argument, and choose not to.

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 13:29:15 (permalink)
lempo
JustinHEMI

People should seek cover if they see someone brandishing a weapon. If it's just on a person hip (in a holster) or slung over their shoulder, i wouldn't worry one bit. 

bran·dished, bran·dish·ing, bran·dish·es
To wave or flourish (something, often a weapon) in a menacing, defiant, or excited way.

lempo
FTW Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 13:38:12 (permalink)
MSim

People should seek cover if they see someone brandishing a weapon. If it's just on a person hip (in a holster) or slung over their shoulder, i wouldn't worry one bit. 

To wave or flourish (something, often a weapon) in a menacing, defiant, or excited way.

Thanks Sim.. we already established that wasn't the exact word I was looking for. but if that's all you took away from that exchange then there really isn't much more to say about that. and let's be honest, if long hair and a beard is enough to rattle the general populous then having a gun on your hip is essentially waving it around like a maniac to them.

MrImSoGood
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1285
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 13:45:11 (permalink)
MSim
lempo
JustinHEMI

Until that person snaps for whatever reason and pull it out
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 13:53:47 (permalink)
MrImSoGood
MSim
lempo
JustinHEMI

Dont know if that's happened yet...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

MrImSoGood
FTW Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 13:56:56 (permalink)
BF3PRO
MrImSoGood
MSim
lempo
JustinHEMI

Which is why the man walked his kids across the street
Better to be safe then sorry
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 14:02:02 (permalink)
MrImSoGood
BF3PRO
MrImSoGood
MSim
lempo
JustinHEMI

Was it safer to cross the street with his family where an unseen vehicle could strike them, or walk past the man open carrying?

MrImSoGood
FTW Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 14:13:15 (permalink)
BF3PRO
MrImSoGood
BF3PRO
MrImSoGood
MSim
lempo
JustinHEMI

Was it safer to cross the street with his family where an unseen vehicle could strike them, or walk past the man open carrying?

You're assuming the guy wouldn't have been smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street
You're assuming it's a busy street where cars are constantly passing by unlike whereas most neighborhoods wouldn't be as busy
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 14:40:35 (permalink)
MrImSoGood
BF3PRO
MrImSoGood
BF3PRO
MrImSoGood
MSim
lempo
JustinHEMI

You're assuming the guy wouldn't have been smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street
You're assuming it's a busy street where cars are constantly passing by unlike whereas most neighborhoods wouldn't be as busy
Wasnt someone assuming that the open carrier was "brandishing" the firearm?

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 14:50:16 (permalink)
The general populous needs to get over the fear of seeing someone open carrying. Just like how the general populous had to get over watching black people being able to sit at the front of bus or drink from the same water fountains as white folks. We didn't bring back racial segregation laws because of how the general populous felt back then.

dbe425
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2199
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 14:51:10 (permalink)
I haven't been here in a long time but I see things are still the same.  

lempo
FTW Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 15:10:26 (permalink)
dbe425
I haven't been here in a long time but I see things are still the same.  

indeed.. and WB .. I usually only lurk for the same reason.

JustinHEMI
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 886
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 15:35:47 (permalink)
lempo
JustinHEMI

Edited. I saw other replies later on. We've established that carrying isn't brandishing, and yes, it is the person's problem who holds the irrational fear, not the gun owner's.

Appeals to emotion and hyperbole don't make good arguments.

Justin
post edited by JustinHEMI - 2015/06/02 15:40:56

| Intel i7 12900KS | Asus Z690 ROG Strix | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 |
| 32gb G Skill DDR5 6000C36 | EVGA SuperNova G6 1000 | 1TB Samsung 980/970 M.2s | 
Sennheiser DAC/AMP | Fractal Design Torrent | Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 | Asus PG278QR |
Sennheiser HD660s | Asus ROG Strix TKL | Logitech G502 Lightspeed |

MrImSoGood
FTW Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 15:45:32 (permalink)
JustinHEMI
lempo
JustinHEMI

Edited. I saw other replies later on. We've established that carrying isn't brandishing, and yes, it is the person's problem who holds the irrational fear, not the gun owner's.

Justin

How is it irrational to fear someone that has a visible weapon
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 15:46:24 (permalink)
Thanks for getting back on track guys. Did any of you read my other post right here. Its like my dreams are coming true. If some of you are so worried about open carry well the campus carry bill does limit it to a certain extent but very lightly. Of course I am sure you guys know I wish no restrictions at all whatsoever. By the way have you noticed most of the people who are fearful of open carry and just guns in general are a bunch of hypocrites anyways. Most of the antis just love to watch people shoot and display guns at each other on their beloved movies/TV shows. OOOOOOOOH its so entertaining. Heck not to forget most antis enjoy shooting guns at people in video games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. The only argument most always tell me is "well Hazum all those things on TV and in games are fake." But I tell them the idea of it is still there. Rant over and back on course, if I recall about 40-45 states that allow open carry for the most part. And yes some states are VERY up tight about it.

By the way there is a bill reducing more of Texas's Gun Free Zones that is waiting for Governor Abbott's signature. It preempts the ability of most government entities to ban people who have concealed carry licenses from carrying weapons on most of their premises.  The bill passed 26 to 5 in the Senate, and 116 to 23 in the House . There are significant exceptions. Carry is banned in schools, polling places while voting is taking place, courts or offices utilized by a court, racetracks, secured areas of airports, and in government meetings open to the public. Carry is still prohibited in places that serve alcohol which derive 51% or more of their income form the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises, hospitals, nursing homes, amusement parks, and places of religious worship are only off limits to gun carriers if they have a proper 30.06 sign in place. Once a government entity is placed on notice that they are in violation of the law, they will have 15 days to remove the offending sign. First offenses will incur fines of $1,000 to $1,500 per day. Second offenses are fined $10,000 to $10,500 per day.

JustinHEMI
SSC Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 15:53:53 (permalink)
MrImSoGood
JustinHEMI
lempo
JustinHEMI

Justin

How is it irrational to fear someone that has a visible weapon

Like any phobia, hoplophobia is irrational. There's nothing inherent in a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm that elicits fear. If you're afraid of guns, or people that carry guns, that is irrational.

Justin

| 32gb G Skill DDR5 6000C36 | EVGA SuperNova G6 1000 | 1TB Samsung 980/970 M.2s | 
Sennheiser DAC/AMP | Fractal Design Torrent | Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 | Asus PG278QR |

JustinHEMI
SSC Member
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 15:55:17 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
Thanks for getting back on track guys. Did any of you read my other post right here. Its like my dreams are coming true. If some of you are so worried about open carry well the campus carry bill does limit it to a certain extent but very lightly. Of course I am sure you guys know I wish no restrictions at all whatsoever. By the way have you noticed most of the people who are fearful of open carry and just guns in general are a bunch of hypocrites anyways. Most of the antis just love to watch people shoot and display guns at each other on their beloved movies/TV shows. OOOOOOOOH its so entertaining. Heck not to forget most antis enjoy shooting guns at people in video games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. The only argument most always tell me is "well Hazum all those things on TV and in games are fake." But I tell them the idea of it is still there. Rant over and back on course, if I recall about 40-45 states that allow open carry for the most part. And yes some states are VERY up tight about it.

By the way there is a bill reducing more of Texas's Gun Free Zones that is waiting for Governor Abbott's signature. It preempts the ability of most government entities to ban people who have concealed carry licenses from carrying weapons on most of their premises.  The bill passed 26 to 5 in the Senate, and 116 to 23 in the House . There are significant exceptions. Carry is banned in schools, polling places while voting is taking place, courts or offices utilized by a court, racetracks, secured areas of airports, and in government meetings open to the public. Carry is still prohibited in places that serve alcohol which derive 51% or more of their income form the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises, hospitals, nursing homes, amusement parks, and places of religious worship are only off limits to gun carriers if they have a proper 30.06 sign in place. Once a government entity is placed on notice that they are in violation of the law, they will have 15 days to remove the offending sign. First offenses will incur fines of $1,000 to $1,500 per day. Second offenses are fined $10,000 to $10,500 per day.

Even more than liking their movies and games with guns, anti's often wish for violence against gun owners by other people with guns. You should watch the posts on anti gunner FB pages. A lot of those people are insane.

ETA It's sad to see that Texas still clings to silly restrictions on where people can carry. Thank goodness I live in a gun friendly state.

Justin
post edited by JustinHEMI - 2015/06/02 15:56:57

UnReal-4-Life
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/02 16:50:07 (permalink)
When I was in high school all the guys had gun racks in the cars and trucks. Every one had guns and rifles and we never had a problem. Nobody was shooting them or doing stupid stuff. This right we all had even at 15 16 years old. just recently turned to a  privilege and only become uncommon in the last 20 years. This is in central California people. not in the desert or boonies. Now we are entertained by computers . it was 56k days back then.

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/03 05:26:37 (permalink)
Back with the mega-quotes guys? 

I don't think I would open carry personally unless it was the only option.  I would not want to scare away the anti-gun folks, so I would prefer to keep in concealed.  However, if I open carried a glock, and had a polo shirt, kaki's, and my boots on (with my mil-spec haircut), people would think i was a cop, so they likely wouldn't bat an eyelash at me.  Cause lord knows in Jersey only cops and criminals carry.  Cops open carry, criminals conceal carry.  There are less then 5 CCW permits in my town of 24 THOUSAND people.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/03 05:37:22 (permalink)
Most people wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone open carry due to having eyes glued to smart phone.

transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/03 06:11:32 (permalink)
A firearm in and of itself doesn't do anything.

There's no reason to be scared of a gun in a holster or slung over the shoulder.

If someone wields it and points it at you, or in your direction, I can see feeling fear...
Otherwise, it's irrational.

It's hardly going to LEAP out of its holster and go off.

Teaching your children your phobias is the most inane thing I've heard...

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/03 07:57:00 (permalink)
MSim
Most people wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone open carry due to having eyes glued to smart phone.

You win.  Never have truer words been written.
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/04 04:26:37 (permalink)
Wow I am VERY pleased on the path that Texas is going with more gun rights. Texas just recently passed another law where there would be no more arrest for concealed guns that have been left in carry-on luggage. This happens almost every day in Texas which actually lead the nation in concealed handguns found at TSA checkpoints. Normally instances such as this would result in felony charges (it is illegal to bring a concealed handgun into the secured area of an airport obviously), but a new Texas law will put an end to that. The law, HB554, was passed  on the 27th and is currently sitting on the Governor’s desk to be signed. The bill applies to people with a concealed carry license who accidentally enter the security screening process, and shields them from prosecution and even arrest if they immediately exit the screening area and ditch their gun outside.

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/05 07:51:42 (permalink)
So speaking of....
https://www.yahoo.com/tra...port-120692240587.html
I love watching these types of videos, its like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  I am just so jealous that I can't do it here in Jersey.

The common sense part of me says this was a dumb idea, but the pro-gun in me says hell yes.  Like I said before, I just want to be left alone.  I do understand these peoples thought process, which is to exercise your right, and to educate people that its not the weapon, its the person you should be afraid of.  People can actually walk with a weapon and not just randomly go shooting at people, cops do it every day and no one is afraid of them (other then criminals). 

As the man said...People's fears are NOT our responsibility as a gun owner.  When people realize its NOT the gun, its the PERSON that is the problem then we have made a HUGE leap as an educated society.  I think their goal is to have a more open acceptance of firearms. I read an article yesterday about wearing orange for national gun violence day and the first thing that came to my head was what color to wear for vehicular homicide awareness day, or obesity related death day (and then laughed at this).  Those kill FAR more people then a firearm.

I am sure some will say this isn't the way to do it (which I tend to agree), but how else can you change a society that as a whole is paranoid about firearms?
wrinvert
R.I.P Friend
  • Total Posts : 3751
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/06 03:06:26 (permalink)
Our race shop 3 of the 4 of us carry on the job. We work on high end cars and the shop is in a bad part of town. The boss and other tech open carry and I'm always concealed. The open display has kept us trouble free for 3 years at our location. They know we are armed and it not worth trying when there are 3 gun free zone down the street that have issues almost monthly.

blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/06/07 05:36:51 (permalink)
I'm not against people carrying around guns but taking it to an airport seems like a bit much. We have concealed carry in Ohio and there are certain places where you're not allowed to bring a gun such as schools, banks, and airports.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile