EVGA

FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2015/05/30 02:14:55 (permalink)
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20150529-texas-legislators-approve-licensed-open-carry-bill-sending-it-to-gov.-abbott..ece

Of course the House has passed it as well about a month ago. BUT after all the delays and amendment proposals of bickering back and forth from the dummy anti-gunner senators an agreement is FINALLY made. Before anyone asks, YES Texans must have a CHL in order to carry openly. It took so long because of an "issue" of if police have that right to ask to see the permit of anyone they spy with a pistol visible on their hip. Some senators have argued not allowing police to ask will leave a back door to constitutional carry so therefore police have the means to ask to see a CHL. Another is the thoughts of some anti senators thinking that open carry in general is more "dangerous" for police. In which I say is a ridiculous statement because open carry eliminates the element of surprise in which allows a officer to automatically know before hand that a suspect is armed. Even though personally I would wish that police should not be able to ask to see a open carrier has a licenses, but at least this is a step for Texas to head back into the right direction for pro gun rights. Now I am just waiting for constitutional carry/campus carry for the Lone Star State.

Governor Abbott is ready to sign away!

160 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 02:25:16 (permalink)
    If you open carry a long gun, police can't demand to see ID. If you carry a pistol you get to look forward to this.... VER ARR ZEE PAPERZ?  SHOWZ US ZEE PAPERZ AND YOU CAN GOEZ!

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 02:35:07 (permalink)
    MSim
    If you open carry a long gun, police can't demand to see ID. If you carry a pistol you get to look forward to this.... VER ARR ZEE PAPERZ?  SHOWZ US ZEE PAPERZ AND YOU CAN GOEZ!

Yeah crazy huh. You can openly carry rifles and shotguns, but not handguns(Edit:at the moment for handguns). A CHL is not needed to do this. However, you must do so in a manner not "calculated" to cause alarm; meaning you are carrying the rifle to purposely intimidate or scare people. Also the papers please thing cracked me up because I can just imagine.
    post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2015/05/30 02:47:49

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 08:39:33 (permalink)
    Can someone please explain to me in what scenario would someone be walking in public with a rifle or shotgun?
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 11:21:41 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    Can someone please explain to me in what scenario would someone be walking in public with a rifle or shotgun?

Why should anyone need a reason to exercise a right.

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 11:27:35 (permalink)
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Just because it a right doesn't mean it makes sense
    MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 13:11:02 (permalink)
    bill1024
    When I was 16-17 I did not have a car, I walked a couple miles with my shotgun out of the city I lived in to the farm I used to hunt.
    I carried it out in the open, got stopped once, showed them my hunting permit and they just said "good luck".

TY for the scenario
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 13:40:59 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean people should be forbidden from exercising that right. You can't just walk around waving/pointing the gun at people.

The main reason people open carry rifles in Texas, was to point out it's legal to do it and to protest the law not allowing open carry of modern pistols.

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 14:58:04 (permalink)
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean people should be forbidden from exercising that right. You can't just walk around waving/pointing the gun at people.

The main reason people open carry rifles in Texas, was to point out it's legal to do it and to protest the law not allowing open carry of modern pistols.

First off nowhere did I say anything about forbidding anything
    Secondly carrying a gun or even having one is a privilege not a right
    Thirdly protesting over not being able to carry a gun in the open is silly and a waste of time when there are some many other things that are incredibly more important to protest about.

Seriously, people in Texas are tripping about not being able to show off their guns while walking down the street
    BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3797
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 15:03:50 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Thirdly protesting over not being able to carry a gun in the open is silly and a waste of time when there are some many other things that are incredibly more important to protest about.

Seriously, people in Texas are tripping about not being able to show off their guns while walking down the street
    Whoa there cowboy where has the Supreme Court said it was a privilege?

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 15:56:53 (permalink)
    Locally we can carry a handgun openly as long as it's 2 actions from being fired.  If you have a CCW, you may carry open and fully ready.

But since that passed, I don't see rampant amounts of people running about strapped.   Nor do I see them running about with shotguns or other long arms slung over a shoulder.   And I doubt your going to see a massive increase of that in Texas either.

Heatware

JustinHEMI
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 886
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 16:27:05 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Incorrect. It is a right. Also, you're not the decider of what's important to everyone, only yourself.

Justin

| Intel i7 12900KS | Asus Z690 ROG Strix | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 |
    | 32gb G Skill DDR5 6000C36 | EVGA SuperNova G6 1000 | 1TB Samsung 980/970 M.2s | 
    Sennheiser DAC/AMP | Fractal Design Torrent | Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 | Asus PG278QR |
    Sennheiser HD660s | Asus ROG Strix TKL | Logitech G502 Lightspeed |

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 17:09:39 (permalink)
    JustinHEMI
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Incorrect. It is a right. Also, you're not the decider of what's important to everyone, only yourself.

Justin

Right or not why are people protesting about carrying a gun in the open
    Why exact is that so important
    DMIINC
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5929
    • Ribbons : 32
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 18:00:20 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    JustinHEMI
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Justin

Some education required on your part. Please consult writings of the founding fathers as to why is it important.

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 18:03:10 (permalink)
    DMIINC
    MrImSoGood
    JustinHEMI
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Justin

Some education required on your part. Please consult writings of the founding fathers as to why is it important.

I was wondering when someone was gonna bring that up
    Seems to be the go to excuse for carrying guns, doesn't that that was a completely different time and circumstances
    DMIINC
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5929
    • Ribbons : 32
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 18:10:16 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    DMIINC
    MrImSoGood
    JustinHEMI
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Justin

Seems to be the go to excuse for carrying guns, doesn't that that was a completely different time and circumstances

You are wrong again. Time and circumstances have nothing to do with it. More things change, more they stay the same.

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 18:18:25 (permalink)
    DMIINC
    MrImSoGood
    DMIINC
    MrImSoGood
    JustinHEMI
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Justin

You are wrong again. Time and circumstances have nothing to do with it. More things change, more they stay the same.

Care to explain how the 1700s and 2010s are the same?
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 19:03:41 (permalink)
    The quoting is out of hand, can you guys please edit the post to only quote the post you want to reply to.

BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 19:35:43 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    DMIINC
    MrImSoGood
    DMIINC
    MrImSoGood
    JustinHEMI
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood
    MSim
    MrImSoGood

Justin

It starts with on right being slowly attacked (4th amendment and 1st) they were and are still under attack... The government has used this as a test to see if they can get away with it... They have and now are moving to other amendments... The fact of the matter is people used to openly carry rifles all the time especially before cars... It was normal but then people like Woodrow Wilson got into positions of power... Police openly carry shotguns and rifles in my city, I don't much care for that if people want to say I shouldn't be allowed to do the same... I'd still like an answer as to when the Supreme Court ruled it was a privilege... I also await the argument that involves "the majority of Americans believe..." I love picking that on apart as well...
    post edited by BF3PRO - 2015/05/30 19:37:28

nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 19:53:28 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood

yea, the mega quotes are getting out of control.  

This was always my favorite question posted by anti-gunners.  Its like the 1st amendment only covers the printing press so your right to free speech on the computer is not valid.  Anything you type up on a computer and use a printer to print isn't covered under the 1st amendment.

yes, carrying a weapon is a right granted by the founding fathers.  NOT a privilege.  The revolutionary war started when they British tried to take our guns.  SO, when they wrote the bill of first the 1st thing they cared about was saying anything you wanted without worry, and then the second most thing that was important to them was to carry firearms.  So that gives you an idea how important it was in the forging of this great country.
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 19:54:52 (permalink)
    oh yea... and now I hate all you Texans.  ugh!  (i kid)
    SOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!

Still awaiting to hear from my district court for the appeal of my carry DENIAL.  

lempo
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1084
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 19:59:04 (permalink)
    I have lived in Texas my entire life (40+ years if you're counting) and maybe I've just been lucky, but I can't think of a single instance in my lifetime where I thought "man if I only had a gun right now" where the outcome would have been pleasant for anyone involved. I'm not anti-gun, don't get me wrong. I own several deer rifles and a couple of handguns (we call them cat pistols, for bobcat and mountain lion duty, I hunted primarily in West Texas and Wyoming). That being said, I believe that open carry has the potential provoke as many crimes as it deters. And is generally a bad idea.

My great grandfather was a Dallas Sheriff his whole life and a Bounty hunter after he retired. he used to say to me "the only reason you should ever carry a gun is if you are scared of somethin, what are you scared of boy?"... guess I just haven't been scared enough.

BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 20:13:27 (permalink)
    lempo
    I have lived in Texas my entire life (40+ years if you're counting) and maybe I've just been lucky, but I can't think of a single instance in my lifetime where I thought "man if I only had a gun right now" where the outcome would have been pleasant for anyone involved. I'm not anti-gun, don't get me wrong. I own several deer rifles and a couple of handguns (we call them cat pistols, for bobcat and mountain lion duty, I hunted primarily in West Texas and Wyoming). That being said, I believe that open carry has the potential provoke as many crimes as it deters. And is generally a bad idea.

My great grandfather was a Dallas Sheriff his whole life and a Bounty hunter after he retired. he used to say to me "the only reason you should ever carry a gun is if you are scared of somethin, what are you scared of boy?"... guess I just haven't been scared enough.
    Im not scared just prepared... I never leave my home without jumper cables and basic tools in my trunk...

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 20:14:52 (permalink)
    lempo

Finally someone that sees another side of this
    And as for the "founding fathers", didn't most if not all of them own slaves? And wasn't it a "right" to own a slave?

Hey if you want to own a gun then own it, I couldn't care less but to say it's a "right" because it was written 200+ years ago does not mean it applies to today
    BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 20:31:13 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    lempo

And as for the "founding fathers", didn't most if not all of them own slaves? And wasn't it a "right" to own a slave?

Hey if you want to own a gun then own it, I couldn't care less but to say it's a "right" because it was written 200+ years ago does not mean it applies to today
    It wasn't actually a right to own a slave that was a privilege... You are acting as if you're morally superior and others don't see another side of it... You want to make an argument of things written 200+ years ago? Let's get rid of mathematics...

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 20:49:17 (permalink)
    bill1024
    MrImSoGood

Yes it does.

Ok answer me this. What need is there a for a gun that it would severely affect your life if you weren't allow to carry one anymore as oppose to when it was written as a right to have one?

And let me make this clear as it seem alot of you just don't get it
    I'm not against guns or people that have /want them, my original posting was asking for a scenario in which someone would need to carry a gun open in the public as I did not see a logical reason for people to protest over it

BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 21:38:22 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    bill1024
    MrImSoGood

Yes it does.

Ok answer me this. What need is there a for a gun that it would severely affect your life if you weren't allow to carry one anymore as oppose to when it was written as a right to have one?

I'm not against guns or people that have /want them, my original posting was asking for a scenario in which someone would need to carry a gun open in the public as I did not see a logical reason for people to protest over it

No one was saying you're against guns... Scenarios don't matter the fact that the police carry is reason enough for me to as well...

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/30 22:06:26 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood

If open carry is legal, anyone with a carry license doesn't have to be paranoid about a pistol printing while conceal carrying. If your shirt happens to rise up to where people see your pistol in public, you don't have to worry about getting in trouble if someone calls the cops on you.

If it wasn't for people protesting by open carrying rifles in Texas, i doubt we would see open carrying of pistols about to be signed into law.
    JustinHEMI
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 886
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/31 07:15:48 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    bill1024
    MrImSoGood

Yes it does.

Because if I didn't have my gun, I'd be dead.

Justin

| Intel i7 12900KS | Asus Z690 ROG Strix | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 |
    | 32gb G Skill DDR5 6000C36 | EVGA SuperNova G6 1000 | 1TB Samsung 980/970 M.2s | 
    Sennheiser DAC/AMP | Fractal Design Torrent | Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 | Asus PG278QR |
    Sennheiser HD660s | Asus ROG Strix TKL | Logitech G502 Lightspeed |

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7806
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re: FINALLY!!! Texas Senate Passes Open Carry Bill. 2015/05/31 07:47:27 (permalink)
    Regardless of the why, the whats and whatevers, both sides of the argument have merit.

If I could carry I would. I have seen and experienced things that make me not even want to leave my house. I watched a man get stabbed on a public bus on my way home from school, groups of people jumping a single person for fun. Having a way of protecting yourself no matter what that way is makes you feel safer, whether it's psychological or not would you rather feel safer, of feel threatened 24/7. Pepper spray, stun gun, taser, whatever it is you have makes you feel safer. Guns are the big boys, so you feel the safest. 

But lets say your not that worried, you don't see the point etc. You feel safe already then right? Why you worry? So the question is why do you feel so safe? Have you been robbed at knife/gunpoint before? Witness a man brutally beaten, etc? If so, how is it that you feel so safe as to not have something to protect you? And you can't say "Well they can get your gun and use it against you" Well duh, anything can be used against anyone as a weapon. Knives, bats, your own stun gun, pepper spray. So it don't matter. In the end though this is why people train to use these things. At least we hope that most of them do. Myself, I know how to use a gun, not because of some special class but from hunting, common sense and growing up NOT afraid of guns, but respectful of what they are capable of doing.

Police are useless anymore. Unless your in an area where they are well funded and actually give a damn about the people they are to "Protect and Serve" Any time I have called 911 in my area the fastest response time is about ten minutes. I'm dead in less than 5. What good does that do me? Someone is coming into my home with a knife what can I do? Cops clean up the mess and (Try to) find the guy who did it, they don't prevent crime.

My opinions have no merit in any argument they are just my opinions. Suck it :P

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile