Whos ordered there 12th gens?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15
Author
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 12:29:39 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
DEJ915
Not sure there I guess you just kill them lmao, no issues here with any of mine since X58 until now but yeah stuff happens, only boards I've ever RMA'd are Asus and EVGA.  The Asus ones are 2nd best it seems from OC DDR4 right now and Gigabyte's DDR4 models are terrible so far if you don't want MSI I'd get Asus.

Trust me, I’ve considered user error, so I can laugh along with you. However, I doubt user error causes PCI and RAM slots as well as USB ports to crap out. Those are some of the other things I’ve had die on me with MSI boards.

I’m working on swapping out my Z390 Aorus Master for the Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 board that just arrived, so we’ll see how things go with my DDR4-3600 kit.

CraptacularOne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FexM11f8MMg

I've been saying it this whole thread: DDR5 in it's current iteration is not worth it. Those of you sitting on the fence or not wanting to build unless you can get DDR5, it's pointless in it's current state. 

I'm glad my order got botched, it was a blessing in disguise. 

Are you forgoing Alder Lake altogether, or did you opt for a DDR4 board. If you went the DDR4 route, which board did you get?

I'm actually on a rather cheap (well for Z690 anyway) Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 board. It retails for $229 and runs so good I'm gonna keep it. I got it as a replacement for a faulty AORUS Elite that had a defective M.2 slot and Amazon didn't have any more of them on hand to replace mine with at the time. 

https://www.newegg.com/gi...ddr4/p/N82E16813145347

Anyway, I have currently it running my Corsair Dominator Platinum kit at 4000Mhz 16-18-18-38 in gear 1 and performance has been great. Settled on a daily P-Core overclock of 5Ghz and E-core at 4Ghz with 1.22v, not bad for a "cheap" board. Bear in mind that even this "cheap" board has a 16+1+2 phase VRM which is just massive overkill for a mainstream desktop CPU. 
post edited by CraptacularOne - 2021/11/19 12:33:18

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 972
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 12:34:21 (permalink)
DEJ915
ObscureEmpyre
DEJ915
Not sure there I guess you just kill them lmao, no issues here with any of mine since X58 until now but yeah stuff happens, only boards I've ever RMA'd are Asus and EVGA.  The Asus ones are 2nd best it seems from OC DDR4 right now and Gigabyte's DDR4 models are terrible so far if you don't want MSI I'd get Asus.

Trust me, I’ve considered user error, so I can laugh along with you. However, I doubt user error causes PCI and RAM slots as well as USB ports to crap out. Those are some of the other things I’ve had die on me with MSI boards.

I’m working on swapping out my Z390 Aorus Master for the Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 board that just arrived, so we’ll see how things go with my DDR4-3600 kit.

Nice hope it works well, most of the people I've seen talk about it are into hard core memory tuning not xmp lol.

So far, I’ve managed to drop a motherboard mounting screw and a washer. Those will be fun to fish out. Thankfully, I have a soft tubing water-cooling build, so it’s easy enough to maneuver stuff. Otherwise, I’m more of an XMP kind of guy. Although, I’d like to get into manual memory overclocking at some point. I just don’t know where to begin tweaking and what to test stability with. CPU overclocking is relatively easy enough, so maybe I’ll give RAM overclocking a go in the near future.

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 12:37:57 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
I'm actually on a rather cheap (well for Z690 anyway) Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 board. It retails for $229 and runs so good I'm gonna keep it. I got it as a replacement for a faulty AORUS Elite that had a defective M.2 slot and Amazon didn't have any more of them on hand to replace mine with at the time. 

Anyway, I have currently it running my Corsair Dominator Platinum kit at 4000Mhz 16-18-18-38 in gear 1 and performance has been great. Settled on a daily P-Core overclock of 5Ghz and E-core at 4Ghz with 1.22v, not bad for a "cheap" board. Bear in mind that even this "cheap" board has a 16+1+2 phase VRM which is just massive overkill for a mainstream desktop CPU. 

I got the Elite AX DDR4 board which is basically a WiFi version of the Gaming X board you have. The DDR4-4000 kit I was eyeing came back in stock last night, so maybe I’ll give that a whirl if I decide to keep this board and return the Master board I originally purchased.

Flybye
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1169
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 12:47:09 (permalink)
Last time I did hardcore memory tuning was with a socket 939 DFI Lanparty that I still have for an Opteron.   There was a guy in the DFI forums that was constantly releasing a tweaked bios that we all were more than happy being a guinea pig with. If I get into tweaking ram again, it's going to be a whole new level.  I don't want to have to go through the hassle of only going to DDR4, though.   I want to make the jump from DDR3 to DDR5 so that I don't have to worry about upgrading again for a long time.  And we all know better DDR5 will eventually come out.
post edited by Flybye - 2021/11/19 12:48:30

Gaming thing
i9-12900KF @ 5.20GHz
EVGA: Z690 Classified - RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra - Supernova 1200w P3 - DG-75
32GBs Corsair Dominator DDR5 @ 6800 - Seagate: .5TB, 1TB M.2s, HD 4TB
Sony CRT 24" GDM-FW900 16:10 - DangerDen (RIP) Goodies: 2x120mm Rad & D5 + Primochill stuff
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 12:48:26 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne

I got the Elite AX DDR4 board which is basically a WiFi version of the Gaming X board you have. The DDR4-4000 kit I was eyeing came back in stock last night, so maybe I’ll give that a whirl if I decide to keep this board and return the Master board I originally purchased.

Yeah, that's the exact board I had but had to return because the middle M.2 slot was dead lol. You'll like it (provided yours isn't also defective lol) and it'll give you plenty of headroom to tinker with. As for your DDR4 memory, if you already have a nice kit of 3600Mhz memory just keep it or overclock it yourself. Not really worth it for such a small speed bump in my opinion. 

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 13:29:03 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Yeah, that's the exact board I had but had to return because the middle M.2 slot was dead lol. You'll like it (provided yours isn't also defective lol) and it'll give you plenty of headroom to tinker with. As for your DDR4 memory, if you already have a nice kit of 3600Mhz memory just keep it or overclock it yourself. Not really worth it for such a small speed bump in my opinion. 

Hoping I don’t have any dead m.2 slots. I put my OS drive in the CPU slot and the other two I have in the top and middle ones of the lower NVMe slots. At the moment, my concern is the top PCI-E slot. I was able to carefully transplant my old motherboard with this new one by keeping the loop intact, but now my GPU is having difficulty fitting in the slot. It seems like it’s in, but the locking clamp didn’t lock. It kind of seems like the dimensions of the EK block and backplate are prohibiting that. I’m definitely not going to force it into place, but I’ll see what I can do. My back starting acting up (old injury), so I’m taking a short break. Anyway, fingers crossed.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 13:58:00 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
Hoping I don’t have any dead m.2 slots. I put my OS drive in the CPU slot and the other two I have in the top and middle ones of the lower NVMe slots. At the moment, my concern is the top PCI-E slot. I was able to carefully transplant my old motherboard with this new one by keeping the loop intact, but now my GPU is having difficulty fitting in the slot. It seems like it’s in, but the locking clamp didn’t lock. It kind of seems like the dimensions of the EK block and backplate are prohibiting that. I’m definitely not going to force it into place, but I’ll see what I can do. My back starting acting up (old injury), so I’m taking a short break. Anyway, fingers crossed.

I'm sure yours is fine, just an unfortunate bad apple for me. You transplanted your whole watercooling loop to a new board? lol That had to be uhh, fun?  How the hell did you manage that, or more importantly why did you wanna do that? lol No way, no how would such a stunt have been possible for my set up. I had to break it all down and rerun the tubes and fill the loop. As for the card not fully seating with the block installed. As long as all the PCIe pins are making contact with the slot it should be fine. I've had some scenarios in the past where waterblocks would cause the locking latch not not close too and it was just fine as long as the card was fully inserted into the slot. 

post edited by CraptacularOne - 2021/11/19 14:00:15

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 14:41:11 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
ObscureEmpyre

I'm sure yours is fine, just an unfortunate bad apple for me. You transplanted your whole watercooling loop to a new board? lol That had to be uhh, fun?  How the hell did you manage that, or more importantly why did you wanna do that? lol No way, no how would such a stunt have been possible for my set up. I had to break it all down and rerun the tubes and fill the loop. As for the card not fully seating with the block installed. As long as all the PCIe pins are making contact with the slot it should be fine. I've had some scenarios in the past where waterblocks would cause the locking latch not not close too and it was just fine as long as the card was fully inserted into the slot.

I didn’t transplant the loop. I transplanted the motherboard. 🤪 Mine is a Fractal R6 case, so the top radiator mount is detachable. I just unscrewed it, then lifted it before placing it atop the case at an angle so it wouldn’t slide back down. I also propped up my GPU so the tubs weren’t pinched. After that, the board slid right out the top. Naturally, I disconnected everything from it prior to sliding it out. It’s all back together now with the new board. I’ll see about posting a pic. Well, so long as it still works. lol It’s all connected, but I wanted another break before powering it up. Again, fingers crossed. Oh, before I forget, what OS are you using? I’ve got both Win10 and Win11 ready to go on separate USB sticks. I haven’t decided which I’m going to use yet. Maybe I’ll do a dual OS partition so I can gauge performance of the new system with each OS.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 14:53:10 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
I didn’t transplant the loop. I transplanted the motherboard. 🤪 Mine is a Fractal R6 case, so the top radiator mount is detachable. I just unscrewed it, then lifted it before placing it atop the case at an angle so it wouldn’t slide back down. I also propped up my GPU so the tubs weren’t pinched. After that, the board slid right out the top. Naturally, I disconnected everything from it prior to sliding it out. It’s all back together now with the new board. I’ll see about posting a pic. Well, so long as it still works. lol It’s all connected, but I wanted another break before powering it up. Again, fingers crossed. Oh, before I forget, what OS are you using? I’ve got both Win10 and Win11 ready to go on separate USB sticks. I haven’t decided which I’m going to use yet. Maybe I’ll do a dual OS partition so I can gauge performance of the new system with each OS.

Ahh OK, that makes a little more sense but still seems like a little more work lol. 

As for the OS, Windows 11 all the way. You don't have to worry about any scheduler nonsense with Windows 10 and Alder Lake and almost all of the "incompatible" games Intel listed  that weren't playing nice with some game's publishers trash DRM have been patched and are working fine in Windows 11 but are still having issues in Windows 10. 
post edited by CraptacularOne - 2021/11/19 14:56:25

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 15:06:46 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Ahh OK, that makes a little more sense but still seems like a little more work lol. 

As for the OS, Windows 11 all the way. You don't have to worry about any scheduler nonsense with Windows 10 and Alder Lake and almost all of the "incompatible" games Intel listed  that weren't playing nice with some game's publishers trash DRM have been patched and are working fine in Windows 11 but are still having issues in Windows 10. 

It lives! Just updated the BIOS and a good thing I did. None of my m.2 drives were detected, even though two of them were able to be selected when choosing which drive to install the new BIOS from. Now that the BIOS is up to date, all three drives are detected. Thinking of trying the memory XMP profile before I install Windows. May as well. Regardless, I think I’ll go with Win11 with this build.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 15:30:46 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
It lives! Just updated the BIOS and a good thing I did. None of my m.2 drives were detected, even though two of them were able to be selected when choosing which drive to install the new BIOS from. Now that the BIOS is up to date, all three drives are detected. Thinking of trying the memory XMP profile before I install Windows. May as well. Regardless, I think I’ll go with Win11 with this build.

Grats! No matter how many PCs I've built (and it been a lot lol) it's always a relief when it powers on a goes to the BIOS for the first time. I guess I should have mentioned that too, yeah for whatever reason the stock BIOS the board shipped with I needed to update to the F4 BIOS before it would detect all my M.2 drives as a matter of fact it was the same issue with this board too. Enabling the XMP profile should be just as simple as that though. If you want any pointers on tweaking the memory timings/speed lemme know 

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 15:48:53 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
ObscureEmpyre

Grats! No matter how many PCs I've built (and it been a lot lol) it's always a relief when it powers on a goes to the BIOS for the first time. I guess I should have mentioned that too, yeah for whatever reason the stock BIOS the board shipped with I needed to update to the F4 BIOS before it would detect all my M.2 drives as a matter of fact it was the same issue with this board too. Enabling the XMP profile should be just as simple as that though. If you want any pointers on tweaking the memory timings/speed lemme know 

The XMP profile works just fine… in gear 2. lol I had it set to auto and it POSTed just fine. Set it to gear 1 and it didn’t know what to do. Wondering if it’s because I have a 4-DIMM kit for 32 GB. Suppose I could take out two sticks to test that theory. Almost hoping that doesn’t work. Means I’ll have to buy another kit, a 2x16 GB if I want to stick with 32 GB total. I bought a 4-DIMM kit because my Z390 Master features T-topology for the RAM, so a 4-DIMM kit worked just fine. These newer Z690 boards are all daisy chain from what I’ve read. Otherwise, I’ve got a other DDR4 kits I can try, but they’re all slower and have looser timings. As far as pointers go, I may just hit you up in a DM.

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 16:08:13 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne
ObscureEmpyre

The XMP profile works just fine… in gear 2. lol I had it set to auto and it POSTed just fine. Set it to gear 1 and it didn’t know what to do. Wondering if it’s because I have a 4-DIMM kit for 32 GB. Suppose I could take out two sticks to test that theory. Almost hoping that doesn’t work. Means I’ll have to buy another kit, a 2x16 GB if I want to stick with 32 GB total. I bought a 4-DIMM kit because my Z390 Master features T-topology for the RAM, so a 4-DIMM kit worked just fine. These newer Z690 boards are all daisy chain from what I’ve read. Otherwise, I’ve got a other DDR4 kits I can try, but they’re all slower and have looser timings. As far as pointers go, I may just hit you up in a DM.

FWIW, I had a Gskill 4x16gb kit abruptly stop posting at the XMP 2.0 profile in gear 1 when previously it did post for several weeks.  I mix and matched sets of 2 in every permutation and each set would post individually at 2.0 but not when all 4 were in. Gskill told me to just return it and get a different kit since it was within 30 days of purchase.

additionally, two separate 2x16 kits combined are not necessarily going to work together at XMP 2.0 profile speeds.

may you have better luck than me!

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 16:10:26 (permalink)
Hmm, do you know what kind of memory ICs you have? Samsing B-die, Micron, Hynix...etc?

Try bumping your Internal VCCSA voltage up to 1.2v and try gear 1 again. You could just have a weaker memory controller on your CPU. I'm running 4 sticks at 4000Mhz in gear 1 on my board. I have Samsung B-die ICs on my memory and I've already extensively explored what they can and can't do on other platforms. 

My current relevant memory settings are: ( I put these all in manually)

1.45v DRAM
1.2v VCCSA
Timings of 16-18-18-38 
4000Mhz
Gear 1

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 16:28:36 (permalink)
I just snapped some pics in the BIOS to show you what I've changed. The AORUS BIOS is a little different but you should have all the same adjustments and even a few more.

Sorry, my monitor is comically wide (49in LOL) so I panned the camera to the left to make them readable 

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 17:15:44 (permalink)
redteamgo
FWIW, I had a Gskill 4x16gb kit abruptly stop posting at the XMP 2.0 profile in gear 1 when previously it did post for several weeks.  I mix and matched sets of 2 in every permutation and each set would post individually at 2.0 but not when all 4 were in. Gskill told me to just return it and get a different kit since it was within 30 days of purchase.

additionally, two separate 2x16 kits combined are not necessarily going to work together at XMP 2.0 profile speeds.

may you have better luck than me!

I’ve had this 4x8 kit for a while, so it’s definitely outside of the return window. I suppose I could try each stick by itself — see if that works. If so, then I don’t know. I may reach out to g.skill to see if they have anything to say at that point.

CraptacularOne
Hmm, do you know what kind of memory ICs you have? Samsing B-die, Micron, Hynix...etc?

Try bumping your Internal VCCSA voltage up to 1.2v and try gear 1 again. You could just have a weaker memory controller on your CPU. I'm running 4 sticks at 4000Mhz in gear 1 on my board. I have Samsung B-die ICs on my memory and I've already extensively explored what they can and can't do on other platforms. 

My current relevant memory settings are: ( I put these all in manually)

1.45v DRAM
1.2v VCCSA
Timings of 16-18-18-38 
4000Mhz
Gear 1

It’s a TridentZ DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36 kit with Samsung ICs, but I’m not sure if it’s B-die off the top of my head. I’ve been reinstalling everything since installing Windows figured I’d get that knocked out of the way before messing with any kind of overclocking. Were you able to POST with your DDR4-4000 kit using XMP in gear 1 before you messed with anything else? Also, are those the only RAM settings you manually input? There’s another setting that’s three digits that I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I know XMP profiles change it.
post edited by ObscureEmpyre - 2021/11/19 17:23:16

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/19 17:55:39 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
It’s a TridentZ DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36 kit with Samsung ICs, but I’m not sure if it’s B-die off the top of my head. I’ve been reinstalling everything since installing Windows figured I’d get that knocked out of the way before messing with any kind of overclocking. Were you able to POST with your DDR4-4000 kit using XMP in gear 1 before you messed with anything else? Also, are those the only RAM settings you manually input? There’s another setting that’s three digits that I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I know XMP profiles change it.

Those are Samsung B-Die ICs on those TridentZs. As for being able to POST, yes I was by just enabling XMP. However these are "only" 3200Mhz sticks with their XMP profiles so it worked just fine out of the gate even in Gear 1. 

Try NOT enabling XMP and just manually entering your XMP settings and set your memory speed to 3600Mhz and see if it works. Be sure to bump your VCCSA voltage up to at least 1.1v and manually set your DRAM voltage to 1.35v. There is also a "DRAM Training voltage" setting under the "Advanced Voltages" tab that you can try manually settings to 1.4v as well. 

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 06:50:21 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Those are Samsung B-Die ICs on those TridentZs. As for being able to POST, yes I was by just enabling XMP. However these are "only" 3200Mhz sticks with their XMP profiles so it worked just fine out of the gate even in Gear 1. 

Try NOT enabling XMP and just manually entering your XMP settings and set your memory speed to 3600Mhz and see if it works. Be sure to bump your VCCSA voltage up to at least 1.1v and manually set your DRAM voltage to 1.35v. There is also a "DRAM Training voltage" setting under the "Advanced Voltages" tab that you can try manually settings to 1.4v as well. 

I was able to use my memory’s rated spec in gear 1 by manually entering everything. What’s annoying, though, is that I’m having a heck of a time with testing games using Win11. From the get go, one refused to launch and the other is crash city. It was getting late for me, so I didn’t test that many, but this isn’t a good sign.

What’s also not a good sign is I keep BSODing. It’s not the manual RAM settings, as I went as far as to clear the CMOS after trying a few things first. The BSODs occur with stock RAM, XMP enabled with gear 2, and manually settings with gear 1. So, I did what I was thinking I’d do and installed Win10 on a separate partition.

I’m in the midst of reinstalling all the drivers and what have you to see if Win10 likes to BSOD with this setup. If it does, then it’s either the CPU, motherboard, or the new m.2 drive I used for this build. Everything else is the same.

On a different note, what about VCCIO settings for manual RAM overclocking?

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 08:48:31 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne

I was able to use my memory’s rated spec in gear 1 by manually entering everything. What’s annoying, though, is that I’m having a heck of a time with testing games using Win11. From the get go, one refused to launch and the other is crash city. It was getting late for me, so I didn’t test that many, but this isn’t a good sign.

What’s also not a good sign is I keep BSODing. It’s not the manual RAM settings, as I went as far as to clear the CMOS after trying a few things first. The BSODs occur with stock RAM, XMP enabled with gear 2, and manually settings with gear 1. So, I did what I was thinking I’d do and installed Win10 on a separate partition.

I’m in the midst of reinstalling all the drivers and what have you to see if Win10 likes to BSOD with this setup. If it does, then it’s either the CPU, motherboard, or the new m.2 drive I used for this build. Everything else is the same.

On a different note, what about VCCIO settings for manual RAM overclocking?

Hmm, it may be instability with your CPUs memory controller. I'm really not sure, but we can test that to see. Try lowering your RAM speed to 3200Mhz with the same timings and try your games again. I haven't had any instance of games crashing on Windows 11

PS: They also released a new wave of BIOS for the Gigabyte boards, I'm testing F6a on mine and I see yours has F5a available. 
post edited by CraptacularOne - 2021/11/20 08:50:40

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 09:02:20 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Hmm, it may be instability with your CPUs memory controller. I'm really not sure, but we can test that to see. Try lowering your RAM speed to 3200Mhz with the same timings and try your games again. I haven't had any instance of games crashing on Windows 11

PS: They also released a new wave of BIOS for the Gigabyte boards, I'm testing F6a on mine and I see yours has F5a available. 

It’s definitely not the RAM since I’ve had BSOD problems even at stock RAM settings (no XMP/no manual OC). Also, all 4 RAM sticks have passed testing with Memtest86+. I’ve got Win10 up & running on the partition I created earlier, and I’m just about at the point of testing games. So far, no BSOD issues. And, I noticed the F6a BIOS this morning when I was redownloading all the Win10 drivers. It has a date of yesterday, so it either released late in the day or sometime earlier today. Either way, I’ve got it installed as well as Gigabyte’s DRM E-core parking control utility.

Edit: On a bit of a rant for a side note, the boards monitoring sensors are lacking. There isn’t an overall CPU clock sensor for either the P-cores or E-cores, only individual core clock sensors. That’s annoying because I don’t want MSI Afterburner and RTSS taking up a quarter of my screen with the OSD just to see how the CPU’s overall clock speed.
post edited by ObscureEmpyre - 2021/11/20 09:12:54

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 10:17:16 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne

It’s definitely not the RAM since I’ve had BSOD problems even at stock RAM settings (no XMP/no manual OC). Also, all 4 RAM sticks have passed testing with Memtest86+. I’ve got Win10 up & running on the partition I created earlier, and I’m just about at the point of testing games. So far, no BSOD issues. And, I noticed the F6a BIOS this morning when I was redownloading all the Win10 drivers. It has a date of yesterday, so it either released late in the day or sometime earlier today. Either way, I’ve got it installed as well as Gigabyte’s DRM E-core parking control utility.

Edit: On a bit of a rant for a side note, the boards monitoring sensors are lacking. There isn’t an overall CPU clock sensor for either the P-cores or E-cores, only individual core clock sensors. That’s annoying because I don’t want MSI Afterburner and RTSS taking up a quarter of my screen with the OSD just to see how the CPU’s overall clock speed.

Hmm, that is a bit odd. Did you do a fresh install of Windows? And what games are giving you issues in Windows 11?

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 10:49:32 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Hmm, that is a bit odd. Did you do a fresh install of Windows? And what games are giving you issues in Windows 11?

Fresh installation of both Win11 followed by Win10 on a brand new drive.

One game that’s dead in the water is Star Wars: The Old Republic. It’s a decade-old title at this point, but it’s still odd that it won’t launch even with Win10 using an Alder Lake CPU. I even disabled the E-cores in the BIOS, yet still nothing. Never had an issue with it using Win10 with my Z390 build. The only other game I’ve played since upgrading is Red Dead Redemption 2. Now that I’ve established a baseline with Alder Lake between Win10 & Win11, I’ll be testing more games. I’m curious how Cyberpunk 2077 and Battlefield V will run. Grand Theft Auto V is also on the chopping block for games to try. What’s funny is that Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, a 1996 title, still runs on Win11 with Alder Lake. I couldn’t help but laugh when I found that out. I only launched it and didn’t play it, but it still seems to run regardless.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 11:01:24 (permalink)
Yeah I haven't tried games quite that old to be honest. I mainly am playing right now Destiny 2, Halo Infinite, CoD Vanguard and the occasional Cyberpunk 2077 and Farcry 6 along with a smatter of smaller titles like FTL, Hyper Light Drifter and Axiom Verge 2 and haven't had any issues. 

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 11:08:29 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
Yeah I haven't tried games quite that old to be honest. I mainly am playing right now Destiny 2, Halo Infinite, CoD Vanguard and the occasional Cyberpunk 2077 and Farcry 6 along with a smatter of smaller titles like FTL, Hyper Light Drifter and Axiom Verge 2 and haven't had any issues. 

I still play games from way back when as well as new ones. I'll also be testing Modern Warfare and Cold War. Haven't bought Vanguard yet. I usually wait for those games to go on sale. Same with Battlefield. And, I have yet to play Far Cry: New Dawn, let alone Far Cry 6. lol In the end, I'm sure these are just growing pains of Alder Lake. At least my existing DDR4 RAM runs in gear 1. Thanks for the tips pertaining to that.

In other news, Newegg moved all their DDR5 kits to the Newegg Shuffle. Sad day.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 11:28:10 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne

I still play games from way back when as well as new ones. I'll also be testing Modern Warfare and Cold War. Haven't bought Vanguard yet. I usually wait for those games to go on sale. Same with Battlefield. And, I have yet to play Far Cry: New Dawn, let alone Far Cry 6. lol In the end, I'm sure these are just growing pains of Alder Lake. At least my existing DDR4 RAM runs in gear 1. Thanks for the tips pertaining to that.

In other news, Newegg moved all their DDR5 kits to the Newegg Shuffle. Sad day.

*sigh*......lol well can't say I'm surprised by that. I really really despise the "shuffle" anyway. You have to "win" the privilege to overpay for gear. What a disaster the current market is in...........

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 11:58:43 (permalink)
CraptacularOne
*sigh*......lol well can't say I'm surprised by that. I really really despise the "shuffle" anyway. You have to "win" the privilege to overpay for gear. What a disaster the current market is in...........

I wholeheartedly understand. Although, I have been selected in the shuffle twice. I was able to get a 3080 and a 3080 Ti that way. Of course, I also have two PSUs sitting on a shelf and still in their shrink wrap thanks to the shuffle.

Quick question for you: Does your Gaming X motherboard feature a “CPU Upgrade” option under Settings? Mine does. There’s a Gaming option and something pertaining to maximum performance. I tried both options for the heck of it, but neither seems to have any effect. I thought it may have been something like Asus’ AI overclock feature.

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 12:11:33 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne

I wholeheartedly understand. Although, I have been selected in the shuffle twice. I was able to get a 3080 and a 3080 Ti that way. Of course, I also have two PSUs sitting on a shelf and still in their shrink wrap thanks to the shuffle.

Quick question for you: Does your Gaming X motherboard feature a “CPU Upgrade” option under Settings? Mine does. There’s a Gaming option and something pertaining to maximum performance. I tried both options for the heck of it, but neither seems to have any effect. I thought it may have been something like Asus’ AI overclock feature.

Yeah my board has that too. The "gaming" profile just disables the E-cores and the "maximum performance" profile just bumps the cores clocks in all states by 100Mhz. So yeah, very much useless lol 

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/20 13:38:13 (permalink)
ObscureEmpyre
DEJ915
ObscureEmpyre
CraptacularOne
But to be honest, DDR5 isn't worth it anyway. Just grab a DDR4 board and enjoy 99% of the performance bump of Alder Lake

That may be true about DDR4 RAM particularly, but high-end Z690 DDR4 boards just don’t exist. They’re all paper launches. Gigabyte, for example, lists a Z690 Aorus Pro DDR4 motherboard that isn’t sold anywhere. I’d be perfectly content with that board if I had to stick with DDR4 for a while longer but, again, it isn’t available.

The MSI ones are available on newegg but not on amazon yet unfortunately.

Every single MSI motherboard I have owned had an issue that prompted me to either RMA the board or outright replace it. I don’t know what it is about their boards, but they just don’t hold up. That’s been my experience anyway, and I’ve owned about half a dozen of their boards since the early 2000s. So, I steer clear of them. The last MSI board I bought was an X99 one that was RMA’d due to a faulty BIOS module (dual BIOS, one crapped out). That’s going on seven years ago, and maybe their build quality’s gotten better. I don’t know. I just know that they were once my go-to motherboard company but they let me down time and again.

Ive used Gigabyte z490 (trash LAN issues) ASUS z390 and threadripper. My z490 meg ace has been very solid. My new board is the z690 tomahawk which has solid reviews. L3 cache is so good on the 12900K I doubt ddr5 will outperform ddr4 for a long time.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/23 22:04:36 (permalink)

There's a few i9-12900K CPUs on Amazon right now for $619.99. Not 3rd party either.. shipped & sold by Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FXDLX95/

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Whos ordered there 12th gens? 2021/11/23 22:27:56 (permalink)
Nereus

There's a few i9-12900K CPUs on Amazon right now for $619.99. Not 3rd party either.. shipped & sold by Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FXDLX95/

All gone again.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile