EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!Update 11/9/16 with NEW BIOS - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 PWM Temperature Update

Page: << < ..5657585960.. > >> Showing page 60 of 76
Author
jamexr
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 266
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/19 18:06:07 (permalink)
Just got my thermal pads. I was surprised to see they're also including thicker ones for the ram chips since that guy posted the stock ones not really making contact with the heatsink. Just fyi.
mccullum
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 00:03:52 (permalink)
its been 3 weeks and my evga pads is still awaiting shipment?
bairanbokkeri
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 00:07:49 (permalink)
Yup, makes one wonder if doing a normal, not advanced rma would be faster.

ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 02:08:42 (permalink)
So, for the moment, can we say there isnt a single case of overheating ?
All the issues are for the 3/4% defecive components ?
Krull32
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 03:17:15 (permalink)
Received my pads yesterday, but since they said updated bios is enough,  i will not install the pads for now.
I'm not gifted anyway. IF something happens (but i'm not worried) ->RMA
post edited by Krull32 - 2016/11/20 03:21:13
Bar81
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 04:25:46 (permalink)
ilyama

We can say there is a 100% chance of shoddy cooling design and lack of meaningful QA.

Intel 6700T, Thermalright Macho Zero, Asus Sabertooth Z170 S, 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, EVGA 1080 Ti SC, Samsung 850 PRO, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Kingwin Stryker 500W
z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 04:39:11 (permalink)
Got my pads yesterday and installed them.
moosemm
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 05:55:48 (permalink)
I got the vram, baseplate and backplate thermal pads for my 1070 SC yesterday.  Installation process was easy thanks to decent instructions. Although I wasn't too concerned having an SC and not a FTW version, I just want to play games without thoughts of my card dying and was annoyed that I had to go through this on an expensive (to me) graphics card to gain some peace of mind. But, I think EVGA responded in a reasonable manner to a bad situation and I thank them for their support and solution.
NicolaiMoller
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 06:05:45 (permalink)
Bar81
ilyama

We can say there is a 100% chance of shoddy cooling design and lack of meaningful QA.

Indeed there is a lack of proper QA section on this, or even make some useful edits to the initial post in this thread to avoid the "why do I have to use so much time reading all the crap in this thread": it's embarrassing. That goes as well for the updates/info on thermal pads status. How hard can it be to come with qualified estimates on these things, rather than the standard "in a couple of weeks"?

fluffydelusions
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 10:14:09 (permalink)
I have the 06G-P4-6163-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC. Is my card affected by these issues? I updated the bios but I notice some people RMAing cards and such.
post edited by fluffydelusions - 2016/11/20 11:30:37
rizzoface
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 10:14:41 (permalink)
Ordered my thermal pad kit a few weeks ago now - still says awaiting shipment!! what is going on EVGA? 
liquidturbo
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 10:39:15 (permalink)
emsir
akteni
the above extended guide is about VRM chip pad mod. Someone in reddit had mentioned that thermal pads on VRM chips are not pressed between baseplate and card. 
In the post, you will see 3 different link. You can check those and read comments. 

I am applying thermal pads tomorrow and will definitely check these VRM chip pads. thank god I bought extra thermal pads.

What someone post in Reddit is NOT recommended and approved by EVGA. What is important and recommended is what EVGA say, and not a person on Reddit or Youtube. All these "experts" know nothing and has no experience in making Graphic cards at all. People should stop reading all these so called "expert tips and guides".
Read what EVGA says and follow the recommended guide how to do the thermal pad mod and the BIOS update. Remember that the Thermal mod is OPTIONAL  and if you have updated your BIOS, you really don't need the thermal mod. You should always read what EVGA post here and forget what is being posted else where.

Read this:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update   11/1/2016 - Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).   EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:
  • On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
  • However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.
Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.   To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures.  This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly.   This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.   For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available.  This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit     Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement. All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.   *The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland.  EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.   FAQ   Q. Which cards are supported by these updates? A. Please see  for the qualifying cards.   Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected? A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.

Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues? A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.   Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature? A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.   Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation? A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*   Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS? A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.  

I am really confused. If this is "optional", then why are ALL new cards having these pads installed going forward? Is the BIOS update also optional? 

I am going to try going the Advanced RMA route. Really sucks. Learned my lesson. Don't be an early adopter.
Slimmer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 10:50:56 (permalink)
is ok to play games and overclock till the pads come? (1440p)
did bios update, temps  went from 77c at the highest playing games to 65c (quite the drop...?)

"early adopting" is always a slight gamble, but this had to do with someone saying it was ok not to put the pads on in the first place. (this will make it harder to resell, unless the person buying didn't know)
not a happy camper
post edited by Slimmer - 2016/11/20 11:10:22

10700k / 3080 FTW3 ULTRON 12g / 32g mem 
Core P3 / GF2 ARGB 850w / 3440x1440@100Hz 

nhallid1
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Update 11/9/16 with NEW BIOS - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 PWM Temperature Upadate 2016/11/20 11:10:56 (permalink)
Hi. After full thermal mod and new bios Temps on load are 65 degrees at about 1100 rpm
panaikas
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 11:26:56 (permalink)
liquidturbo
emsir
akteni
the above extended guide is about VRM chip pad mod. Someone in reddit had mentioned that thermal pads on VRM chips are not pressed between baseplate and card. 
In the post, you will see 3 different link. You can check those and read comments. 
I am applying thermal pads tomorrow and will definitely check these VRM chip pads. thank god I bought extra thermal pads.

What someone post in Reddit is NOT recommended and approved by EVGA. What is important and recommended is what EVGA say, and not a person on Reddit or Youtube. All these "experts" know nothing and has no experience in making Graphic cards at all. People should stop reading all these so called "expert tips and guides".
Read what EVGA says and follow the recommended guide how to do the thermal pad mod and the BIOS update. Remember that the Thermal mod is OPTIONAL  and if you have updated your BIOS, you really don't need the thermal mod. You should always read what EVGA post here and forget what is being posted else where.

Read this:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update   11/1/2016 - 

I am really confused. If this is "optional", then why are ALL new cards having these pads installed going forward? Is the BIOS update also optional? 
I am going to try going the Advanced RMA route. Really sucks. Learned my lesson. Don't be an early adopter.

liquidturbo +1
Like EVGA said it's "optional"
*(at back door not)
post edited by panaikas - 2016/11/20 11:30:03
dexters
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 11:42:23 (permalink)
If you don't want the headache of waiting for the pads to install them yourself, Advanced RMA if it's available is the way to go, even if you're past 30 days and get refurbished one.  It's better than not having the pads. The wait seems to be just as long if not longer for the thermal mods to ship vs. advanced RMA cross shipping.

The sucky part I think is if you're just past 30 days and your card is practically new and you may get a refurbished piece that's much older, but given how new 1080s are, any refurbished card would have been used less than six months and likely a lot less than that.  

i7 6700k @4.6 GHZ \ GTX 1080 FTW   \ 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 \ EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Plus Gold \ Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD \ WD Black 2 TB \ Windows 10 

fluffydelusions
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 12:02:20 (permalink)
~ Sigh of relief... looks like my card is unaffected as I got the 1060 SC ACX 2.0 model
Morduck1985
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 14:02:00 (permalink)

Hi EVGA support,

I've ordered the thermal pad mod for my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX3.0 already in 1st November. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't got the pads (Bot VRM and VRAM). What's going on?! The more bad experience people have with this all story the more customers EVGA is going to loose in the future. And for what?! EVGA is the best NVIDIA partner out there therefore it has to live to a higher standard - much higher standard than other brands. I've had a Gigabyte graphics card before and the reason I've switched to EVGA at this stage is because I've heard it is more customer friendly than other brands.

What about the pads EVGA!? Why does it take too long?!  Live up to the standard! Don't ruin otherwise good name that's been built over many years for nothing!

All of this story is because of a silly oversight like a thermal pad!

What does it take too long for me to receive them?

rudedog
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 21:04:10 (permalink)
Quick question about 08G-P4-6286-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 - | .   I assume my card has dual BIOS's and I run both exe?

Not so Rude
-Rudedog
| Microsoft MVP Games for Windows 2009-2016
CoriolisAffectment
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 22:13:46 (permalink)
rudedog
Quick question about 08G-P4-6286-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 - | .   I assume my card has dual BIOS's and I run both exe?

A nominal yes.  However, if you only use one or the other BIOS then just do the one in case you don't care for the aggression of the fan curve. 

Affiliate Code: 9SOE79HNPC

Below is a near live feed from my system's water loop.

Cyricor
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/20 23:44:54 (permalink)
emsir
Cyricor
Its a bit worse than just that EVGA decided to cut corners. Its a design flaw. Someone actually designed the cooling solution on this card that didn't have common sense.
They covered the mosfets with the midplate? One of the hottest components on the card? Whereas Asus and MSI with way more overbuild VRM solutions, that by design run cooler due to the much higher amperage they can handle, have them actively cooled.

Its a facepalm moment and worthy of my pity to be honest, if they tried to cut corners I would be angry, but all the evidence point to project failure, quality control absence and overall management bad decisions (The one responsible for the cooler design must be fired, even if he is the CEO's nephew as it seems :P ) .
Because its my firm belief that anyone with half a brain could design it better with the same or less cost.

I seriously consider dremel for the midplate to expose the mosfets to direct airflow, and attach some low profile copper heat sinks.

You think you are a pro, or work in a place where they make GPU's? 
This issue is absolutely not a project failuire. No card has been damaged due to this issue. This issue is handled proffessional by EVGA. Your post is just another attempt to put you in the spotlight and have your 2 minutes of fame.
Your solution is rubbish. Why? Because the thermal pad solution and bios update works just great. There is no heat issue and people are playing games just like they would normal. The cards work just great without issues.

RANT ON
Put me at a spotlight? where? at the back corner of the internet where I would not even have an account if it wasn't for the "optional" pads and "optional" vbios.? Lets leave the twisted sense of that and go for the problem at hand.

"Your solution is rubbish. Why? Because the thermal pad solution and bios update works just great."
Do you work in a place that makes GPUs or capacitors and inductors and are familiar with electronic component degradation to state that?
Have you actually measured the vrm temperatures before and after with something more meaningful than a FLIR?
(You can check at GamerNexus how easy it is to thermal prob vrms on a VGA) 
Do people suffer from mass disillusion when the post pics of thermalpads not making contact?
Are the other 5-6 companies that build 10series cards, stupid that actively cooling the exposed mosfets?

"There is no heat issue and people are playing games just like they would normal." 
What about Cuda acceleration? Is that safe or not? is it like gaming or like furmark? Do i have the obligation as a customer to research the subject?

"The cards work just great without issues."
Are you in any position to offer me guarantee on your statements? Because I have installed the card on an editing machine that is actually used for work. I would be glad if you can stand behind your statements and accept to cover potential financial loss due to downtime.

RANT OFF

-While I have no problem waiting, and I still find EVGA support awesome and it rose to the occasion by  admitting their mistake, I would not be blinded to the fact that their cooling solution in regards to the competition is inferior and the problem highlighted beyond any doubt, that you should NOT cover the vrms. On the same extend, having thermalpads not making contact with vram shows lack of QC. And being the second iteration of the ACX cooler that is plagued by problems, the design team is at fault.

My post is not meant to trash EVGA as a company especially today that apple announced that touch IC disease is the owner's fault and appears after repeated drops! But changes have to be made on the company level, one more cooling mishap and the company is going to loose its image that build so many years now.
seahawkgfx
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 01:07:52 (permalink)
Now we just need a new BIOS for the modded cards, that is somewhere between the original and the too loud new one.
DamZe
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 02:13:17 (permalink)
seahawkgfx
Now we just need a new BIOS for the modded cards, that is somewhere between the original and the too loud new one.

I think you are on to something, with these pads installed the fan curve could be easily tweaked further in a new vBIOS to reduce a couple of hundred RPMs for more silent operation.

My humble setup: Intel i7 4790K - EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0 - ASUS Z97M-PLUS - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 1866mhz 8CL - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - SilverStone Precision PS07 - Acer G237HL Monitor - EVGA Torq X5 Gaming Mouse - Turtle Beach Impact 700 Keyboard
scorpion73
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 02:17:50 (permalink)
How much time does thermal pads need to be shipped?
I am really surprised by EVGA noncurance of its european customers.
I was happy to buy EVGA despite of price just because they directly do assistance, i bought 3 EVGA cards for my PCs but i think i have made a big mistake that i won't do again for my next vga...
seahawkgfx
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 02:22:02 (permalink)
EVGA Germany has afaik shipped the pads to all FTW customers that requested them, the other follow this week.
akteni
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 02:40:41 (permalink)
emsir
akteni

If you are applying a solution to mass production, it is not optional. It means that you don't believe in your design and had to implement solution to your obvious problem. 

I am not chip or electronic expert but I am literally heat transfer expert. Air is used as heat isolation material in the industry. If there isn't pad or pads are not pressed well, that means you have a obvious cooling problem. 
I checked VRAM pads and pressure wasn't enough. I also saw that another FTW had good pressure so this is manufacturing variance which means EVGA's fault. 

We left the design work to EVGA in the beginning by buying our $450-$650 cards, see what happened. Therefore no one can blame customer for not trusting EVGA's thermal pad mod guide. 

max883
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 03:10:55 (permalink)
Now we just need a new BIOS for the modded cards, that is somewhere between the original and the too loud new one. this is spot on!
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 03:51:45 (permalink)
All evga card who explods was FTW cards no ?
DeathAngel74
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1263
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 04:17:35 (permalink)

Carnage specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820x | Memory Channels#1 and #3: Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz | Memory Channels#2 and #4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz | GPU: eVGA 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid | PhysX: eVGA 1070 SC2 | SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB m.2 nVME(Windows/boot) | SSD#2&3: OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATAx2(RAID0-Games) | SSD#4: ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SATA(Storage) | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 360mm AIO LCS | Case: Thermaltake X31 RGB | Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1000W Titanium | Keyboard: Razer Ornato Chroma | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Chroma | Mousepad: Razer Firefly Chroma | Operating System#1: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate X64 | Operating System#2: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (3DS Homebrew/Build Environment)
Daz1967
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update 2016/11/21 05:22:44 (permalink)
I got my thermal mod from EVGA last week but I've decided against installing it on the basis that (a) they claim it is optional; and (b) I'm not comfortable with dismantling a £600 graphics card even if the process is relatively simple and EVGA will replace the card if I somehow damage it.

I figured that if this new card does develop another fault (my previous card had the black screen/100% fan issue) then EVGA can replace it and send me one back with the thermal pads installed. The fact they are still stating the mod is optional means that I'm not concerned about it overheating. I game with v-sync enabled on a 60 Hz display at 60 fps and rarely run stressful benchmarks so only time will tell if the card will survive the heat of next summer. However, there is a good chance that I will have upgraded to a new card by then anyway as I typically upgrade every 12-18 months.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, ASUS Z87-DELUXE motherboard v2103, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz memory, 11 GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics, Creative SB Sound Blaster Z sound, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 9 TB SATAIII hard drives, XFX Pro Black Edition 850 W, Windows 10 Pro v1703 64-bit
Page: << < ..5657585960.. > >> Showing page 60 of 76
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile