So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 19
Author
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/06 17:51:10 (permalink)
cnidarian
I just got my new 980 FTW today from EVGA.  It was shipped on 6/29/2015 at 9:59AM.  

I have the same results, black screen and buzzing sound on a number of games.  I called Tech support and they claimed I have one of the fixed cards (they apparently started shipping on 29th).  So, that means its something with my computer, I guess?  Not exactly what to do at this point, except for step up.  I guess if I pay the extra money and step up and I still have the same issue with the 980 TI I will definitely know I have some sort of issue...but I am not sure what as my PSU seems to be handling everything fine...

EDIT:  Also, I guess I have the same issue as others are reporting...signal loss...computer unresponsive until I hit the reboot button.  Kinda hoped the fix would work, but its not working for me...

What a mess.
cnidarian
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/06 17:54:37 (permalink)
Samsander
cnidarian
I just got my new 980 FTW today from EVGA.  It was shipped on 6/29/2015 at 9:59AM.  

I have the same results, black screen and buzzing sound on a number of games.  I called Tech support and they claimed I have one of the fixed cards (they apparently started shipping on 29th).  So, that means its something with my computer, I guess?  Not exactly what to do at this point, except for step up.  I guess if I pay the extra money and step up and I still have the same issue with the 980 TI I will definitely know I have some sort of issue...but I am not sure what as my PSU seems to be handling everything fine...

EDIT:  Also, I guess I have the same issue as others are reporting...signal loss...computer unresponsive until I hit the reboot button.  Kinda hoped the fix would work, but its not working for me...

What a mess.

I got a call from EVGA...they took care of me.  My card was not part of the fix batch.
EddieH
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 2016
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/06 17:56:55 (permalink)
cnidarian
I just got a call from Eddie at EVGA and he was extremely helpful, and got me all sorted out.  It turns out that you were right, and I had sent my RMA in prior to the fix.  Anyway...this is why I buy from EVGA. 

They are sending me a card that has the fix, so I am good!

cnidarian,
Thank you for taking my call today.  I am glad that we were able to get everything sorted out.  Please feel free to contact me, should you have any further questions or concerns.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/06 18:07:26 (permalink)
cnidarian
Samsander
cnidarian

What a mess.

I got a call from EVGA...they took care of me.  My card was not part of the fix batch.

Yes, but the issue here is that they still kept shipping bad cards even on the 29th. The problem was known way before that. Fixed or no fixed.
Also I said it before and I say it again. The non fixed cards are also sold in retail stores. So people will keep buying the bad cards indirectly. Unless EVGA pulls them.
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/06 18:55:12 (permalink)
It's nice to see that EVGA take care for new customers...
that leave very good impression when someone buy problematic hardware if manufacturer resolve problem very fast. 
Maybe someone who hit problematic GTX980 now have time to think better what he need and to step-up even on GTX980Ti.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

thollis89
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/06 21:19:59 (permalink)
no update from the end of day today, hoping it ships out tomorrow, as that would be the third business day
Red46
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/07 02:52:54 (permalink)
Yes, I got to agree there.
It's great to see that EVGA manned up and said "Guys we made an error, we are rectifying it" nowadays is all too easy for a company to ignore the customer, especially when the issue is not something immediately apparent (card not booting, artifacting). No matter the brand name,  even the most reputable PC parts manufacturers at some point have made a mistake with their products. The difference is how you own up to it. You can adamantly refuse that there's anything wrong with your product, hide yourself between creative explanations and ways to deny RMA (and yes, while you have a plethora of tools such as a BBB complaints to get the manufacturer to comply with you, that kind of thing still takes time. Time in which you will be left with your non working/defective product) or, be actually decent, see your customers for more than just people to drain money from and, work with them to solve the issue.

Luckily, it was the latter case this time and while I am just about as annoyed as anyone that I can't properly use the product I've got, at least on the other hand there was a company willing to listen and, provided a fix.
post edited by Red46 - 2015/07/07 06:00:42
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/07 03:25:46 (permalink)
thollis89
no update from the end of day today, hoping it ships out tomorrow, as that would be the third business day

It should. Generally, it can take up to 24 for them to "process" your bad card, receive, and then take another 24 hours for them to ship out your new card. I've been through this. It's just part of the business.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/07 11:06:19 (permalink)
stalinx20
thollis89

It should. Generally, it can take up to 24 for them to "process" your bad card, receive, and then take another 24 hours for them to ship out your new card. I've been through this. It's just part of the business.

yeah i know, just playing the waiting game, can't really play anything gpu intensive till the new one gets here
skytsuna
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/07 11:14:40 (permalink)
I am actually having similar issues as well, where my 980 FTW will crash at stock speeds during gaming and just web browsing. The screen turns beige/brownish and then will boot me back to the desktop saying the display driver has just crashed. This happens for all different games (LoL, GTAV, The Witcher 3). This is happening on my RMA replacement because my first card I got from newegg in February was doing the same thing. I've tried countless drivers and even did a fresh install of windows and it did not help. It is weird because it just started all of a sudden, my replacement was fine for a few months but is happening again. I know for sure it is not any of the other components since I tried using my spare power supply and tried removing some ram which did no good. Downclocking the speeds alleviate the issue for now, but I mean this is basically running the card at lower than advertised speeds which defeats the whole point of having the FTW version. I just created a ticket about this now, so I will see how it goes.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/07 11:30:00 (permalink)
skytsuna
I am actually having similar issues as well, where my 980 FTW will crash at stock speeds during gaming and just web browsing. The screen turns beige/brownish and then will boot me back to the desktop saying the display driver has just crashed. This happens for all different games (LoL, GTAV, The Witcher 3). This is happening on my RMA replacement because my first card I got from newegg in February was doing the same thing. I've tried countless drivers and even did a fresh install of windows and it did not help. It is weird because it just started all of a sudden, my replacement was fine for a few months but is happening again. I know for sure it is not any of the other components since I tried using my spare power supply and tried removing some ram which did no good. Downclocking the speeds alleviate the issue for now, but I mean this is basically running the card at lower than advertised speeds which defeats the whole point of having the FTW version. I just created a ticket about this now, so I will see how it goes.

you need to call the RMA department at EVGA and explain your issue. They will more than likely tell you that you need to RMA the card, but ask them about the free advanced RMA option.
 There is no possible fix for your current GPU. THey will send you a new one that has the fixed components.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
skytsuna
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/07 12:00:29 (permalink)
stalinx20
skytsuna

you need to call the RMA department at EVGA and explain your issue. They will more than likely tell you that you need to RMA the card, but ask them about the free advanced RMA option.
 There is no possible fix for your current GPU. THey will send you a new one that has the fixed components.

Alright thanks alot I will give that a shot in just a bit, I will refer back to the ticket I made then.
rriicc22
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 11:02:15 (permalink)
Today i have talked with the support in germany, it was a little bit confusing. They told me, that i cant use the step-up programm, when i RMA my current card.
They advise me, better take the step-up programm directly, so i have done this, it will be also faster because they have the 980TI in stock.
Now i am on position 517 on the Step-Up list, this could take long time i think.
I dont understand, why a later step-up is not possible (i have 58 days left) when i rma my current 980FTW.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 11:36:41 (permalink)
rriicc22
Today i have talked with the support in germany, it was a little bit confusing. They told me, that i cant use the step-up programm, when i RMA my current card.
They advise me, better take the step-up programm directly, so i have done this, it will be also faster because they have the 980TI in stock.
Now i am on position 517 on the Step-Up list, this could take long time i think.
I dont understand, why a later step-up is not possible (i have 58 days left) when i rma my current 980FTW.

Just downclock the card then on both core and memory clock by 150mhz, again, on both. That should allow you to use your card. I know it sucks, but this is your best alternative, based on what they have advised you about stepping up.

You may have to go further than 150. Maybe 200, I don't know, but enough to get the card stable. At least you'll be able to use it until you finally get passed the queue point on the step-up.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
McOtis
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 12:19:52 (permalink)
This is my first time buying a EVGA  card, from NewEgg, and my FTW card exhibits the exact same behavior as other had experienced:
  • A black screen appears (video drops)
  • Audio sound loops/glitches
  • Monitor enters power saver mode
  • Computer reboots (this depends on whether you have OS to "Recover" system error)
Underclocking the card does appear to make the system more stable.
I will start the RMA process and update later how that progresses.
I hope it goes smooth.  This was my first time buying and building a dedicated gaming rig, and has soured the experience.
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 12:33:43 (permalink)
mine still hasnt shipped yet :[
kidfire00
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 12:52:35 (permalink)
Just got my 3rd rma in today with the "fix" so far so good been really trying to push this card to see if the "FTW BUG" tm lol happens and happy to say it hasent after 3 hardcore hrs of gameing. Fingers still crossed tho lol
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 13:36:12 (permalink)
kidfire00
Just got my 3rd rma in today with the "fix" so far so good been really trying to push this card to see if the "FTW BUG" tm lol happens and happy to say it hasent after 3 hardcore hrs of gameing. Fingers still crossed tho lol

that's good to hear, ive been playing less intensive games, mines still pending to be shipped almost a week later :[
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 14:08:20 (permalink)
There is probably a massive amount of people that are doing the process as well. It could be too that they are overwhelmed. Patience is what is now required.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 14:09:53 (permalink)
stalinx20
There is probably a massive amount of people that are doing the process as well. It could be too that they are overwhelmed. Patience is what is now required.

I don't want to sound inconsiderate but after waiting five months with a faulty card I feel ice been patient enough
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 14:10:02 (permalink)
thollis89
kidfire00

that's good to hear, ive been playing less intensive games, mines still pending to be shipped almost a week later :[

If you don't hear anything by Friday, you should probably call them to get an update. Crap does happen, including "forgetting" to update the status on the page...

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 14:13:02 (permalink)
stalinx20
thollis89
kidfire00

If you don't hear anything by Friday, you should probably call them to get an update. Crap does happen, including "forgetting" to update the status on the page...

Yeah I'm waiting for the week and one day then giving a call
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 14:25:52 (permalink)
thollis89
stalinx20

I don't want to sound inconsiderate but after waiting five months with a faulty card I feel ice been patient enough

I hear you. Definitely give them a call by Friday. ... heck, call them now. lol

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 14:49:30 (permalink)
thollis89

Looking into it...

thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/08 22:01:40 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
thollis89

Looking into it...

appreciate the update, i've been at work, something got shipped while i was at work, myUPS notified me rather than evga updating me, checked the open RMA page, and it says "
RMA Received: Pending
Shipped From EVGA: - Tracking Number:  xxx

signature required: True"

but it also says preparing to ship replacement product, idk, guess ill find out what actually shipped on friday

edited out tracking info
post edited by thollis89 - 2015/07/08 22:27:15
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/09 03:44:24 (permalink)
thollis89
EVGA_JacobF
thollis89

Looking into it...

appreciate the update, i've been at work, something got shipped while i was at work, myUPS notified me rather than evga updating me, checked the open RMA page, and it says "
RMA Received: Pending
Shipped From EVGA: - Tracking Number:  xxx

signature required: True"

but it also says preparing to ship replacement product, idk, guess ill find out what actually shipped on friday

edited out tracking info

Ya, this tends to happen... UPS/Fed EX (whoever they decide to use....) will actually get the RMA information to (Insert shipping company here) for you to track before they update the status page. This happened to me twice when I was going through my step-up. I took it as "that's how it is." (so whatever. I got my cards)
Story short, your card has been shipped out and you should get it in less than a week (depending on which shipping method you chose)

So good . We hope to hear some results when you receive it. Finally... some of the stress has been relieved...

Make sure you have somebody at the house when your package gets delivered
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/09 03:49:06

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/10 19:35:20 (permalink)
i got my "new" card today, uninstalled my old stuff, drivers/gpu with ddu, shut down, installed the replacement gpu, no post, tried a different pci slot, no post, tried the old gpu, booted fine...idk what im doing wrong, windows 8.1 with uefi and legacy cms enabled, i had this problem with my 970, but cant remember how i fixed it.

*edit*  so after f-ing with my bios for a few hours, calling tech support, tossed it into my girlfriends prebuilt, which is running off a 3770 and my old 670 ftw+ sig2, putting the new card evga sent me in her tower, resulted in no post as well, also the center of the fans are getting INSANELY hot on this replacement card, pretty sure its dead.  will be opening another rma, this is insane. that card wasnt in her tower 5 minutes and the fans were too hot to touch to remove safely, got hotter than my ps4 gets :/
post edited by thollis89 - 2015/07/10 21:55:53
delaclairjr
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/11 01:20:54 (permalink)
Well, I own a GTX 980 FTW and recently had to RMA after a months use. I would lose the HDMI single when playing FFXIV, and The Witcher 3 would crash to the desktop. It seemed to only do that to more graphically demanding games and being under heavy load. I could play Hitman Codename 47 and other low demanding games with no problem. And I had a number of people on here who directed me to a bigger number of people who have had issues with the FTW model cards. Bad investment on my part? Maybe. We'll see with the RMA card.

While I wait, I've reinstalled my Radeon 7970 GHz Edition and been playing no problem on any of the games I've mentioned.

"("For the Win" huh, we sure won alright.)" Lol sarcasm cracked me up there.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/11 03:55:17 (permalink)
thollis89
i got my "new" card today, uninstalled my old stuff, drivers/gpu with ddu, shut down, installed the replacement gpu, no post, tried a different pci slot, no post, tried the old gpu, booted fine...idk what im doing wrong, windows 8.1 with uefi and legacy cms enabled, i had this problem with my 970, but cant remember how i fixed it.

*edit*  so after f-ing with my bios for a few hours, calling tech support, tossed it into my girlfriends prebuilt, which is running off a 3770 and my old 670 ftw+ sig2, putting the new card evga sent me in her tower, resulted in no post as well, also the center of the fans are getting INSANELY hot on this replacement card, pretty sure its dead.  will be opening another rma, this is insane. that card wasnt in her tower 5 minutes and the fans were too hot to touch to remove safely, got hotter than my ps4 gets :/

EVGA should just start shipping the 980TI's to all the FTW victims.

After all the multiple shipping costs that are paid. Most could of just bought the GTX980TI in the first place if it was available back then.
post edited by Samsander - 2015/07/11 04:13:33
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/11 04:18:20 (permalink)
thollis89

Wow... damn. And you had all connectors and everything plugged in? I was really hoping for something here, for your sake. RMA it...
 This is just really unlucky. I'm sorry.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/11 04:27:15

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile