So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 19
Author
Dooms87
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1020
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 11:56:25 (permalink)
Meh When i called to try and take advantage of the complimentary advance RMA Customer service basically tried to convince my my FTW doesnt have this problem. the "hotfix drivers" should help cause most of my crashes came in big games such as witcher and GTA but what explains constant crashing from Chrome,Youtube,windows media player ? i mean my computer Hard crashed from a frigin youtube video. my old 680 and current 980 TI do not have these problems at all so yeah..... Guess i'll put back in my 980 to watch it crash some more after that Hotfix driver does nothing.

NZXT Phantom 630 - Asus P6X58D-E - EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4gb  - Intel I7 930 2.8 Ghz OC @ 4.0Ghz - H80 
Corsair HX1000W - Corsair 12gb DD3 Dominator ram 1600 - Intel 80 gig X25m SSD -
Samsung 500g HDD -Logitech G15 - Logitech G9X -Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit
deuce985
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 12:41:23 (permalink)
rriicc22
When i read other topics (other 980GTX superclocked modells) i'm also thinking of a general problem with cards of this series.

The psu could also be a problem, old psu's dont like the fast load cycles of the maxwell cards.
To exclude this and to be absolutely sure, i bought a new 750W Be quiet straight power E10 last week, the problem is still there with the ftw card.
My old psu was a 530W be quiet pure Power L8, this change was useless, but i want to have the assurance that its not a psu problem.

What psu do you use?
Try the skydiver demo in loop (default resolution and settings), this is a good stability test for the card.

I was told it's not as big of a problem on the other models outside FTW. It happens but it could be for other reasons like unstable OCs which is going to happen to any overclocked series coming out of their factory. I have a 750w Seasonic G-Series as my PSU. I'm starting to think that somehow it's my PSU even though when I put a 570 in it seems to be fine or when I underclock a 980 it runs stable.

Do they have a tool you can buy to test stability on a PSU? I've looked at readings in BIOS and I know they're not always accurate but it always reads:

+5 = 5.160v
+3.3 = 3.392
+12 = 12.384

If those are right from BIOS then those are on the high side of the specifications right? I have a Corsair TX750v2 in my other PC but I haven't took it out since it's a work PC. The BIOS for that PSU has much tighter readings and I know that PSU is good. My first 980 worked great for several months then went to poop. G-Series PSU is probably about 8 months old.
deuce985
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 12:44:05 (permalink)
I only have 1 BSOD on my PC since getting a 980 in early November last year and that was on the first RMA GPU I got from EVGA last month that was acting weird the day I got it. Is there a way to read the file so it can possibly tell me what the cause was? I have Bluescreenviewer but it doesn't give enough detail. Most of my issues were related to TDRs, black/grey screens and then when I'd underclock the issue was solved running the games stable. Underclock for stability is a good sign of a bad GPU but it could be a rare case where the PSU is the problem?
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 12:58:52 (permalink)
mastinox
My new 980FTW from my last RMA with the FIX has the same Problems... :(

Nice.
rriicc22
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 13:18:04 (permalink)
@deuce985

Your psu is very good, enough power for any graphic card, this wont be the cause for your problems.
When downclocking helps, in my opinion the card is the reason -> not stable.
Dont make my mistake and buy another psu, when everything is fine with another card.

@mastinox

When did you receive your card from rma?
Are you sure that the card has the fix? But i thought Dave said that every current card from rma should have it.
Makes me nervous.
post edited by rriicc22 - 2015/07/14 13:20:20
deuce985
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 13:33:29 (permalink)
rriicc22
@deuce985

Your psu is very good, enough power for any graphic card, this wont be the cause for your problems.
Dont make my mistake and buy another psu, when everything is fine with another card.

@mastinox

Are you sure that the card has the fix? But i thought Dave said that every current card from rma should have it.
Makes me nervous.

Yeah, that's why I don't know what to do. I've tested memory with 15 hours memtest86+, moved ram slots around, moved GPU slots around, cleaned drivers out of registries, updated, set everything to default in BIOS, put an older GPU in system(runs stable), downclocked GPU(runs stable). Only thing I haven't done is switch a PSU out but if my PSU was the problem then it should show on a 570 GPU. The PSU I have is very highly rated with high-quality parts in it too. It's second only to Seasonic's X Series which I should've bought. I've never had problems with Seasonic PSUs.

I'm thinking of taking it out of my PC and putting it into my work PC. I'm not sure if it will fit but it has the 570 in there which is about the same length I believe. Only time I have problems is playing games. I suppose the last thing to look at is my PSU and I'll probably need to buy a tool to test it.

Would you guys recommend anything specific to test my PSU? I need a PSU testing tool anyway so I don't mind paying for one.
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/07/14 13:36:21
mastinox
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 14:11:10 (permalink)
Yesterday with ups... Today i change and Test it... But After ~45min playing Heroes blackscreen... After 200mhz underclock i have no Problems....
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 14:31:26 (permalink)
deuce985
rriicc22
@deuce985

@mastinox

Makes me nervous.

Yeah, that's why I don't know what to do. I've tested memory with 15 hours memtest86+, moved ram slots around, moved GPU slots around, cleaned drivers out of registries, updated, set everything to default in BIOS, put an older GPU in system(runs stable), downclocked GPU(runs stable). Only thing I haven't done is switch a PSU out but if my PSU was the problem then it should show on a 570 GPU. The PSU I have is very highly rated with high-quality parts in it too. It's second only to Seasonic's X Series which I should've bought. I've never had problems with Seasonic PSUs.

I'm thinking of taking it out of my PC and putting it into my work PC. I'm not sure if it will fit but it has the 570 in there which is about the same length I believe. Only time I have problems is playing games. I suppose the last thing to look at is my PSU and I'll probably need to buy a tool to test it.

Would you guys recommend anything specific to test my PSU? I need a PSU testing tool anyway so I don't mind paying for one.

Perhaps I had misread earlier, but don't you have a SC NOT and FTW?  If this is the case and you did an RMA there is no "fixed" stock on SC's.

mastinox
Yesterday with ups... Today i change and Test it... But After ~45min playing Heroes blackscreen... After 200mhz underclock i have no Problems....

When was this RMA done?  I will look into this, as I have seen 1 or 2 others that got out just as we stopped shipping them.  If this is the case, obviously we can't undo it but we can get you a tested fixed card.  I just want to make sure i have the info for this end incase I need to investigate, don't want to point fingers at other unjustly but I do want to make sure these are all going out the door correct and no old stock slipped through.
thollis89
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 14:50:18 (permalink)
mastinox

hey atleast yours worked, the rma card they sent me wouldnt boot on two different setups
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 14:57:24 (permalink)
stalinx20
thollis89
i got my "new" card today, uninstalled my old stuff, drivers/gpu with ddu, shut down, installed the replacement gpu, no post, tried a different pci slot, no post, tried the old gpu, booted fine...idk what im doing wrong, windows 8.1 with uefi and legacy cms enabled, i had this problem with my 970, but cant remember how i fixed it.

*edit*  so after f-ing with my bios for a few hours, calling tech support, tossed it into my girlfriends prebuilt, which is running off a 3770 and my old 670 ftw+ sig2, putting the new card evga sent me in her tower, resulted in no post as well, also the center of the fans are getting INSANELY hot on this replacement card, pretty sure its dead.  will be opening another rma, this is insane. that card wasnt in her tower 5 minutes and the fans were too hot to touch to remove safely, got hotter than my ps4 gets :/

Wow... damn. And you had all connectors and everything plugged in? I was really hoping for something here, for your sake. RMA it...
 This is just really unlucky. I'm sorry.

yeah man, i as many times as i unplugged, replugged, resocketed, im honestly surprised my motherboard still holds the 980 lol.  ive always been somewhat lucky with the silicon lottery, but so far this upgrade sucks, i shipped the dead card they sent me back today, really frustrated i havent been able to enjoy most of my games without having a black screen.  if this happens again i will more than likely taking some sort of action in pursuing a refund or an exchange for a different card.  tired of techs telling me its my psu or motherboard and they wont state the actual issue on this card
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 15:03:00 (permalink)
thollis89
stalinx20
thollis89
i got my "new" card today, uninstalled my old stuff, drivers/gpu with ddu, shut down, installed the replacement gpu, no post, tried a different pci slot, no post, tried the old gpu, booted fine...idk what im doing wrong, windows 8.1 with uefi and legacy cms enabled, i had this problem with my 970, but cant remember how i fixed it.

*edit*  so after f-ing with my bios for a few hours, calling tech support, tossed it into my girlfriends prebuilt, which is running off a 3770 and my old 670 ftw+ sig2, putting the new card evga sent me in her tower, resulted in no post as well, also the center of the fans are getting INSANELY hot on this replacement card, pretty sure its dead.  will be opening another rma, this is insane. that card wasnt in her tower 5 minutes and the fans were too hot to touch to remove safely, got hotter than my ps4 gets :/

Wow... damn. And you had all connectors and everything plugged in? I was really hoping for something here, for your sake. RMA it...

yeah man, i as many times as i unplugged, replugged, resocketed, im honestly surprised my motherboard still holds the 980 lol.  ive always been somewhat lucky with the silicon lottery, but so far this upgrade sucks, i shipped the dead card they sent me back today, really frustrated i havent been able to enjoy most of my games without having a black screen.  if this happens again i will more than likely taking some sort of action in pursuing a refund or an exchange for a different card.  tired of techs telling me its my psu or motherboard and they wont state the actual issue on this card

It has been brought to people's attention, though, that these 900 series require a "newer" PSU. I don't know how newer though.
 Try and demand a reference card

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
deuce985
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 15:11:36 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
deuce985
rriicc22
@deuce985

@mastinox

Makes me nervous.

Perhaps I had misread earlier, but don't you have a SC NOT and FTW?  If this is the case and you did an RMA there is no "fixed" stock on SC's.

mastinox

When was this RMA done?  I will look into this, as I have seen 1 or 2 others that got out just as we stopped shipping them.  If this is the case, obviously we can't undo it but we can get you a tested fixed card.  I just want to make sure i have the info for this end incase I need to investigate, don't want to point fingers at other unjustly but I do want to make sure these are all going out the door correct and no old stock slipped through.

Correct. I'm on my third GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC. I do not have a 980 FTW, I was just curious if this problem was as big on other 900 GPUs because I see it posted in these forums a lot. First one worked great for several months then when I played SWTOR it gave me grey screen crashes, black screens, TDR errors. Underclocked, it eliminated them. Witcher 3 came along and again, black screen crashes and TDR errors until I found an underclock that ran the game stable. I decided to RMA that one because it was starting to get worse because I had to underclock the GPU further in order for it to be stable on TW3. The first few months I put about 100 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition which ran flawless until I tried SWTOR out around February(bought GPU in November).

1st RMA that came in was weird the day I got it. I tried playing TW3 on it and shortly after I closed the game the GPU would not downclock so it did not cool itself until I rebooted PC. Worked fine past that for about 1 day with several hours on TW3 then all of a sudden the black screen/TDR errors came back and I actually got 1 BSOD playing TW3. That's the only BSOD I've ever had on this PC and it's in my Windows minidump folder. I could upload that if anyone can read them? Might pinpoint the problem?

This 2nd RMA I got about 2 weeks ago ran fine on benchmarks I ran. I even ran Uingine for 24 hours with 0 problems. It was only last night that the TDR happened again in SWTOR last night. Beyond that, I haven't tried an underclock or as you suggested but I'm willing to bet I will again run into the same problems until I underclock the GPU. Issue with SWTOR is I know someone with a 980 maxed out and he doesn't have any problems with the game...so I shouldn't need to downclock the GPU so the game is stable. I'm not ready to write something is 100% wrong but I'm not optimistic based on my past experience with this problem.

If it is as you say they pass QA then it has to be something on my end. Considering all the troubleshooting I've done the only thing I can think of now is a PSU but I tested a GTX 570 in my system and it ran stable. Not 100% sure on how much power it takes but probably a good bet it devours more than a 980. Those Fermi cards were power hungry hogs on PSUs...so my reasoning for looking past the PSU was the 570 was stable. I'm probably going to buy a power supply tester, take this 980 out, put it in my other PC and pull my Corsair PSU out of my work PC and put into this one testing the 980. So, I'll see if the PSU is the problem for sure. I'll run some more benchmarks like Furmark too.
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/07/14 15:21:25
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 15:24:46 (permalink)
stalinx20
thollis89
stalinx20
thollis89

It has been brought to people's attention, though, that these 900 series require a "newer" PSU. I don't know how newer though.

I have a corsair hx850. If these truly require a *new psu* I'm out lol
deuce985
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/14 15:32:38 (permalink)
I have a Seasonic G-Series 750w in mine so not super new I guess but I did buy it back in November. The PSU in my other PC is a Corsair TX750v2 so definitely not new lol but I know it works fine. NVIDIA's Maxwell architecture is really fishy. If you look across the internet it seems to be many share the same compatibility problems. I mean, PC issues are going to happen but I feel I can diagnose a problem relatively fast through process of elimination but this one has me stomped. Even set everything back to default in case it was a CPU overclock conflict or something. RAM is at default, no XMP. Only thing overclocked is the factory OC EVGA sends me on the GPU.

Windows 8.1 64bit
16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
2x 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD
ASUS Z97 Mark 2 Sabertooth
i7 4790k
GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC
Seasonic 750w G-Series

Nvidia also had many problems with their recent drivers especially with TDRs.
post edited by deuce985 - 2015/07/14 15:35:18
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 03:40:08 (permalink)
thollis89
stalinx20
thollis89
stalinx20
thollis89

I have a corsair hx850. If these truly require a *new psu* I'm out lol

I'm saying this because.....This is about my motherboard, not the GPUs, but my pc would not start up with my previous PSU, which was about 3 years old. The lights would flicker, and show it had power, but the PC would not start up. after pushing the power button about 50x, it would finally turn on. How old is your PSU? We have to understand that the 900 series is pretty much "new tech". it's got a different die size, the card runs differently, cooler, and it uses much much less power. Now, people are going to think, "oh, because it uses less power, I can continue to use my older PSU, right?" ... Maybe. This is hypothetical, I know, but I wouldn't turn away on it.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/15 03:42:11

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Red46
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 06:40:15 (permalink)
So this morning around 9, I've received my new card. I was due out shortly, so I rushed to install it inside the pc and fired up skydiver. Came back just now and skydiver was still looping. No crashes, nothing. The card runs like a woman at a shoes sale. Differences at naked eye with my previous card: this one has much more stickers on its back compared to the previous two I've gotten from the past RMAs. Will test it more thoroughly during the afternoon, but so far the results are brilliant. 
post edited by Red46 - 2015/07/15 08:04:27
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 06:45:26 (permalink)
Samsander
mastinox
My new 980FTW from my last RMA with the FIX has the same Problems... :(

Nice.

Samsander, I really do love your enthusiasm and your skepticism on the 980ftw. it's definitely amusing.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 06:48:44 (permalink)
Red46
So this morning around 9, I've received my new card. I was due out shortly, so I rushed to install it inside the pc and fired up skydiver. Came back just now and skydiver was still looping. No crashes, nothing. The card runs like a woman at a shoes sale. Differences observed at the naked eye with my previous card, this one has much more stickers on its back compared to the previous two I've gotten from the past RMAs. Will test it more thoroughly during the afternoon, but so far the results are brilliant. 

How many RMAs was it for the "FIX"?

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Red46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 06:56:02 (permalink)
stalinx20
Red46
So this morning around 9, I've received my new card. I was due out shortly, so I rushed to install it inside the pc and fired up skydiver. Came back just now and skydiver was still looping. No crashes, nothing. The card runs like a woman at a shoes sale. Differences observed at the naked eye with my previous card, this one has much more stickers on its back compared to the previous two I've gotten from the past RMAs. Will test it more thoroughly during the afternoon, but so far the results are brilliant. 

This is the first card  that I receive after the fix was deployed. Overall this is my third FTW (first one was a RMA for my 780ti, second one a RMA for the first 980 FTW that still had the issue and now this).
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 06:57:21 (permalink)
Red46
stalinx20
Red46

This is the first card  that I receive after the fix was deployed. Overall this is my third FTW (first one was a RMA for my 780ti, second one a RMA for the first 980 FTW that still had the issue and now this).

Ok, thanks.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
neeviour
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 08:06:27 (permalink)
No means to prove/disprove anything, just saying there could be good copies of 980 FTW.

I had three pieces in hand (due to coil whine, RMAed through newegg). The cards ran through 3DMark tests (firestrike + skydiver) @ 1920*1200 or 2560*1440 without any problems. no OC nor down-clocking during the benchmark.

I couldn't even recall the nvidia driver version, basically the latest one around late May.

system brief:
i7-4770k, asrock Z87 killer, Antec trupower classic 550W/Corsair AX760 (swapped to confirm the coil whine problem).

i7 6700K w Noctua U14S
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 with BIOS F7
G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3000 16GBx2
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Corsair AX760
Define R5 w Phanteks PH-F140XP back vent, Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 front x2
LG 27MB85Z-B
Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 10:54:29 (permalink)
Mine did not start acting up until a couple weeks later; it ran fine at first, too.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

mastinox
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 10:58:14 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
deuce985
rriicc22
@deuce985

@mastinox

Makes me nervous.

mastinox

RMA ID: [Removed]
RMA Nummer:  [Removed]

I have send a Support Ticket after i have see here in the thread the fix is live and i say i have read in the forum for the fix....

I testet bevor a corsair HX750 (5years old), a new bequiet dark power pro 10 550w and a new AX860... i think its not the PSU... and i have testet a EVGA 980SC in my system with no problems but my 980FTW make the same problems in a other system....

Edit by Jedi:  Removed identifying account information.  
post edited by NordicJedi - 2015/07/15 11:02:53
tsukikage
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 11:54:49 (permalink)
Got my second RMA (fixed version).  Came in a brown OEM box instead of the new package like before.  Plugged it in, and it seems to be working so far.  It ran overnight without a reboot, and it is running while I am at work today.  Am hopeful that it will not have triggered a reboot when I get home. *fingers crossed*
thollis89
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/15 14:14:50 (permalink)
tsukikage
Got my second RMA (fixed version).  Came in a brown OEM box instead of the new package like before.  Plugged it in, and it seems to be working so far.  It ran overnight without a reboot, and it is running while I am at work today.  Am hopeful that it will not have triggered a reboot when I get home. *fingers crossed*

Mine came in brown evga packaging as well and wouldn't boot :/ glad to hear others are having luck, back to the waiting game
Red46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/16 03:58:58 (permalink)
Spent some more time with the card and I didn't manage to make it crash once and not for lack of trying. I've failed to reproduce a black screen crash with everything I threw at it, even games/locations that were a guaranteed black screen now run flawlessly and the card is totally stable.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/16 04:14:27 (permalink)
Red46
Spent some more time with the card and I didn't manage to make it crash once and not for lack of trying. I've failed to reproduce a black screen crash with everything I threw at it, even games/locations that were a guaranteed black screen now run flawlessly and the card is totally stable.

Just wondering, what BIOS version do you have on the fixed card? Is it also voltage locked at 1.2v? Can you export the BIOS and share please?
I know they physically changes something on the card but also wondering if it also involves some other BIOS changes maybe.
rriicc22
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/16 04:31:37 (permalink)
Yes, this would be very interesting!
Red46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/16 08:17:17 (permalink)
Bios version is 84.04.2F.00.80 I tried to extract it with gpu-z but it crashed everytime.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/07/16 08:28:28 (permalink)
Red46
Bios version is 84.04.2F.00.80 I tried to extract it with gpu-z but it crashed everytime.

Hmm. So I guess they didn't touch the BIOS.
This is the same version as the original cards.

So probably just some component was changed from the original design.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile