EVGA

So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 19
Author
kookookachoo8
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 02:11:01 (permalink)
Does this apply to the GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 as well, because I have just RMA'ed one of my two cards and am hoping this resolves the issue. I too have been getting grey/black screens while playing certain games: Diablo 3, GTAV, Heroes of the Storm, and Dying Light.
Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 02:41:21 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
Does this apply to the GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 as well, because I have just RMA'ed one of my two cards and am hoping this resolves the issue. I too have been getting grey/black screens while playing certain games: Diablo 3, GTAV, Heroes of the Storm, and Dying Light.

Grey/black screens and crash to desktop (I'm guessing you are crashing to desktop or can still Ctrl+Alt+Del and close the game) is not the same problem. You probably have a high overclock. Latest drivers are not very overclock friendly. Go back to 347.88 driver or return to factory clocks with latest driver and you should be fine.
post edited by Samsander - 2015/06/26 02:43:46
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 02:49:51 (permalink)
Samsander
kookookachoo8

Grey/black screens and crash to desktop is no the same problem. You probably have a high overclock. Latest drivers are not very overclock friendly. Go back to 347.88 driver or return to factory clocks with latest driver and you should be fine.

I don't feel it's acceptable to say that down clocking a card that was manufactured to be over clocked it a "fix". It's more of a work around, wouldn't you say? I also dont believe this is a driver issue, I have tried old drivers and new drivers and have had the same results no matter what version I am using at the time. The issue only seems to occur while I am running SLI. I think the cards may be defective, that is why I am sending the cards back via RMA. Once I receive the new cards I will do a clean install of drivers like I have done many times now using DDU and pray for no grey/black screen (also sometimes green). 

Do you think it could be something with my MOBO BIOS? I have the EVGA X99 Classified?
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 03:18:51 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

Grey/black screens and crash to desktop is no the same problem. You probably have a high overclock. Latest drivers are not very overclock friendly. Go back to 347.88 driver or return to factory clocks with latest driver and you should be fine.

I don't feel it's acceptable to say that down clocking a card that was manufactured to be over clocked it a "fix". It's more of a work around, wouldn't you say? I also dont believe this is a driver issue, I have tried old drivers and new drivers and have had the same results no matter what version I am using at the time. The issue only seems to occur while I am running SLI. I think the cards may be defective, that is why I am sending the cards back via RMA. Once I receive the new cards I will do a clean install of drivers like I have done many times now using DDU and pray for no grey/black screen (also sometimes green). 

Do you think it could be something with my MOBO BIOS? I have the EVGA X99 Classified?

When you get your new cards, and if you experience the same problem. Try using them on a different monitor.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 03:24:16 (permalink)
stalinx20
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

When you get your new cards, and if you experience the same problem. Try using them on a different monitor.

I am on my second monitor now, but I will try once I have both new cards. Not sure that will do much though.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 03:33:58 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
stalinx20
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

I am on my second monitor now, but I will try once I have both new cards. Not sure that will do much though.

Samsander mentioned that by downclocking the card should fix your problem. Even if you don't like this method, it may conclude what the problem is, the fact that Nvidia doesn't want people to overclock, which now defeats the purpose and the reason for manufacturers to release any OC GPU on the market.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 03:36:10 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

Only crashes in SLI? What is your PSU?
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 03:48:52 (permalink)
Samsander
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

My PSU is an 860Watt, which should be more than enough for this card to run 2 way SLI. 
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 03:50:05 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

My PSU is an 860Watt, which should be more than enough for this card to run 2 way SLI. 

It is. Try downclocking just for hell of it, and see what happens. give it a shot please.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 04:08:25 (permalink)
stalinx20
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

It is. Try downclocking just for hell of it, and see what happens. give it a shot please.

I might if I felt comfortable doing so, but again EVGA wouldn't release the cards with unstable OC configurations. I honestly think i just got a couple bad apples, so to speak. I got the cards the day they were released.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 04:43:44 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
stalinx20
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8
Samsander
kookookachoo8

I might if I felt comfortable doing so, but again EVGA wouldn't release the cards with unstable OC configurations. I honestly think i just got a couple bad apples, so to speak. I got the cards the day they were released.

They do it all the time. THat happens quite a bit actually, you'd be surprised. Just read this thread entirely and you'll have plenty examples of people downlclocking their card to make their FTW stable. PrecisionX, MSI Afterburner, or Nvidia Inspector can get the job down to downclock the card. Since you're not familiar, Precision X would be your best bet because it's pretty easy to work with. Just take the 2 sliders, Core clock and Memory clock, and slide the sliders "downwards" to under clock the card. THen hit accept. it's just like that.
Again, companies release bad overclocks all the time. It happens. However, since you're not willing to do any of that, then I guess we're limited to how diagnosing we can do. So, just RMA It then and get the new cards. If you get the same results though, you're going to want to go deeper into your PC, possibly considering other peripherals as well.

I want to add, though, I'm well certain that they don't make the overclocks unstable intentionally.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/26 05:01:32

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
rriicc22
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 11:05:50 (permalink)
First sorry for my bad english, i am from germany.
I have the same problems with my brand new EVGA 980 FTW.
When testing skydiver or playing Project cars i got random crashes with blackscreen and complete lost of monitor signal, only hardreset is possible.
When i lower the corespeed about 200MHz its possible to play Project cars, also skydiver runs fine.
The curious is, that it will appear completly random in skydiver, i could sometimes run the test with factory FTW settings one hour in loop, next time it will crash in the first run, the crashpoint is when the white light appears in the end of the test.
I also got sometimes "driver did not respond errors" with crash to desktop in the witcher 3, but only in the end of the loadingscreen, when the gpu will go from 2D into 3D mode. But i think this is more driver related.

With my "old" GTX770 OC i had not one blue- or blackscreen in 15 month of playing.

I really hope, EVGA could solve the problem with a bios update, otherwise i will use the step-up programm, i have 70 days remaining.

GTX980 FTW, Driver 350.12 (everthing newer will cause frequent crashing to desktop in the witcher 3)
W764
I5-4670K@ stock
PSU Be Quit 530W pure power

Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/26 14:01:51 (permalink)
Just a head up. While we wait for a BIOS update. The new 353.38 Hotfix driver that fixes some "Chrome Crashes/Freezes/TDRs" is not going to help you with GTX980 FTW issues.
Compared to 347.88 driver the 353.38 Hotfix driver will crash you system with black screen sooner and more often even with a 101Mhz downclock.
While this downclock was more or less enough for the 347.88 driver, with 353.38 Hotfix driver you will need to downclock about 150Mhz or more.
post edited by Samsander - 2015/06/26 14:04:40
rriicc22
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/27 12:29:24 (permalink)
@Samsander
353.38 is crashing in the second run (loop) of skydiver with blackscreen and lost of signal, can confirm your test, just now tested again.
When i read the changlog in this "fix" driver, it seems to be clear, that this wont help us with the problem of the FTW.
So we have to wait for a bios update, i hope we get something next week.
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/27 16:18:02 (permalink)
Any news on a fix from EVGA? Status update?
Cerados
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/27 16:21:57 (permalink)
I sent my 980 FTW off for the Step-Up to a Ti but I really hope they find out what made the FTW mess up to help others.

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/28 07:47:26 (permalink)
Tech/Dave, how are things coming? Do we have any update?

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/28 07:49:52 (permalink)
Cerados
I sent my 980 FTW off for the Step-Up to a Ti but I really hope they find out what made the FTW mess up to help others.

Eventually yes, they will release an update to fix the FTW (just a matter of time, but they will not disclose the information as to how & why.)
Sorry that the FTW was a bummer for you, I think quite a few people understand (those that have the FTW also). The 980ti is a better card anyway. Hope you get the card soon and the queue goes quickly.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/28 10:14:51 (permalink)
EVGA, 

Please provide current status on this fix, we have not heard from you in over 24 hours. Thanks!

Also please advise if this fix will only be applied to the FTW or will it have an effect on other 900 series cards that have similar issues.
Red46
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/28 11:35:07 (permalink)
kookookachoo8
EVGA, 

Please provide current status on this fix, we have not heard from you in over 24 hours. Thanks!

Also please advise if this fix will only be applied to the FTW or will it have an effect on other 900 series cards that have similar issues.

It's the weekend even for them. Last news is that they are 95% sure of having found the cause and are currently finalizing a fix that should be ready this coming week.
matthmaroo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 184
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/28 19:44:55 (permalink)
I have the same issue but with a gtx980 SC

anyone else have this issue - I am on my 3rd 980 with the same issue

Just used the new hotfix 38 drivers

same issue but my game was able to recover ... just froze for a sec
post edited by matthmaroo - 2015/06/28 21:04:09
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 09:17:28 (permalink)
Red46
kookookachoo8
EVGA, 

It's the weekend even for them. Last news is that they are 95% sure of having found the cause and are currently finalizing a fix that should be ready this coming week.

It's to quiet. Maybe no good news? :(
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 09:32:50 (permalink)
Hello all, please keep in mind that I am off on the weekends and am rarely online.  However we are still working on it, we are on track for getting this resolved, problem has been located and we are nearly at a fix.  There is a substantial bit of internal testing with fixes of this nature.
kookookachoo8
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 09:45:51 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
Hello all, please keep in mind that I am off on the weekends and am rarely online.  However we are still working on it, we are on track for getting this resolved, problem has been located and we are nearly at a fix.  There is a substantial bit of internal testing with fixes of this nature.

Does this fix target all 900 series cards or is it just for the FTW?
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 09:58:45 (permalink)
The FTW is the only line needing a fix.  There have been some driver related issues, and a couple game titles that are having issues with pretty much everyone's cards right now.  The FTW is the card with the issue and we are working on it, and nearing completion.
Darkratos10
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 10:03:32 (permalink)
i have a black screen with the GTX 980 Ftw.....Aufgrund eines Videohardwareproblems ist Windows nicht mehr voll funktionsfähig.

Problemsignatur
Problemereignisame:    LiveKernelEvent
Betriebsystemversion:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Gebietsschema-ID:    1031

Dateien zur Beschreibung des Problems
WD-20150629-1850.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Temporäre Kopie dieser Dateien anzeigen
Warnung: Wenn das Problem durch einen Virus oder ein sonstiges Sicherheitsrisiko verursacht wurde, kann der Computer durch das Öffnen einer Kopie der Dateien beschädigt werden.

Weitere Informationen über das Problem
BCCode:    117
BCP1:    FFFFFA800AA7F4E0
BCP2:    FFFFF8800497519C
BCP3:    0000000000000000
BCP4:    0000000000000000
OS Version:    6_1_7601
Service Pack:    1_0
Product:    768_1

this is my 5 gtx 980 ftw from Evga Rma......
Samsander
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 10:38:53 (permalink)
Darkratos10
i have a black screen with the GTX 980 Ftw

this is my 5 gtx 980 ftw from Evga Rma......

5th RMA. Ouch. You can probably do 100 RMA's and it will most likely return with the same problem.

Maybe someone should inform the RMA people that there is a problem and it's being worked on. And the client should just wait for the fix.
You know. To save shipping costs for both sides.
The shipping is not cheap. Specially to other countries.
rriicc22
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 10:43:19 (permalink)
You are not joking, really your 5th card?
I think i would gave up after the second...
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 11:56:38 (permalink)
rriicc22
You are not joking, really your 5th card?
I think i would gave up after the second...

That's why you should wait for them to release the update for resolve the problem on the FTW. I would estimate a few more days (could be way off), or it could be another week. We don't know. But it's going to happen.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
matthmaroo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 184
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/06/29 12:38:53 (permalink)
Ugg good to know the super clock cards are working - guess -105 is what I'll have to live with

^

Getting a 4th gtx 980sc

Talked to upper tech support - apparently Having to under clock a card to get it to not crash is reasonable

If I have the same issues I'm done with Evga after 9 years of being a loyal customer
post edited by matthmaroo - 2015/06/29 12:41:59
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile