EVGA

OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 55
Author
cnez0528
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 06:59:01 (permalink)
dng25
cnez0528
damn mine 523x still not shipped.

What color did you order?

1 black 1 white
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 12:20:20 (permalink)
fragility_V1
Got my block last week and have it installed on the card.  Fairly straightforward process, but was missing a screw from what they provided.  Have a set of small metric, so was able to find a replacement.  Black, not silver, but I got it installed. 

Now trying to put the loop back together but am finding a slow leak under pressure testing.  Gonna try to isolate it and see if it's in the rads/tubing rather than the block itself. 

Two things of note thus far:
  1. I have the Signature block the cerakote coating and the satin silver cerakote of the KPE block is quite a different look than the raw silver of the stock signature block.  I was under the impression they would be similar, but that's not so much the case. Well at at least they're both silver-ish.
  2. I'm swapping my Z590 Dark for a Z690 Apex, and tried it on the Dark to see if it would even fit.  The block will not fit into Z590 Dark primary x16 PCIe slot horizontally.  I would assume it's the same for the Z690 Dark as well.  So you plan to use the Optimus KPE block with a Z590/690 Dark, you're going to have to go with a vertical GPU mount.

Please let us know if it's the block or your system when you find the leak.  I pressure test all my components individually first before I put them into systems to reduce the amount of possible failure points.  If it is your block, take a look at the cold plate and if it is the Optimus block please share where your leak occured.  Mines is fine after I took off the cold plate and re-installed it with even tension across the 4 cold plate mounting screws.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
fragility_V1
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 940
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 12:42:16 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
fragility_V1
Got my block last week and have it installed on the card.  Fairly straightforward process, but was missing a screw from what they provided.  Have a set of small metric, so was able to find a replacement.  Black, not silver, but I got it installed. 

Now trying to put the loop back together but am finding a slow leak under pressure testing.  Gonna try to isolate it and see if it's in the rads/tubing rather than the block itself. 

Two things of note thus far:
  1. I have the Signature block the cerakote coating and the satin silver cerakote of the KPE block is quite a different look than the raw silver of the stock signature block.  I was under the impression they would be similar, but that's not so much the case. Well at at least they're both silver-ish.
  2. I'm swapping my Z590 Dark for a Z690 Apex, and tried it on the Dark to see if it would even fit.  The block will not fit into Z590 Dark primary x16 PCIe slot horizontally.  I would assume it's the same for the Z690 Dark as well.  So you plan to use the Optimus KPE block with a Z590/690 Dark, you're going to have to go with a vertical GPU mount.

Please let us know if it's the block or your system when you find the leak.  I pressure test all my components individually first before I put them into systems to reduce the amount of possible failure points.  If it is your block, take a look at the cold plate and if it is the Optimus block please share where your leak occured.  Mines is fine after I took off the cold plate and re-installed it with even tension across the 4 cold plate mounting screws.  

It's the block. Still chasing the leak. Tried reseating the backplate, the gpu block, and the terminal. No luck there. Just repeated the cold plate but still have to leak test. I feel like it's the terminal. I want to try removing the rubber gaskets, but don't want to tear them taking them out. All the bolts on the cold plate were pretty snug. But maybe seating helped.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 12:51:09 (permalink)
Although I didn't want to do it, I filled some distilled water into the block and pressure tested it with the EK pressure tester to find where the water was coming out of my block.  I also thought it was my terminal block, but after I saw the water dripping out between the front block and pcb it lead me to look at the cold plate.  

I had taken apart my block and checked the screws to make sure they were tightened up all around on both the front and rear plates.  I really thought my leak was coming from the terminal as I don't like how the rear block is secured to the terminal.  The design doesn't allow consistent pressure as the mounting screws are offset from the port.  If the block alignment is just a little off, I have a feeling it could lead to uneven pressure on the orings but I'm not an engineer so I defer to others on this topic.  I would just feel a bit better if the rear plate mounting screws were more centered to the rear blocks port.  In my pressure testing after I found my leak, it was fine so maybe I'm just over-thinking things.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 12:58:05 (permalink)
fragility_V1
It's the block. Still chasing the leak. Tried reseating the backplate, the gpu block, and the terminal. No luck there. Just repeated the cold plate but still have to leak test. I feel like it's the terminal. I want to try removing the rubber gaskets, but don't want to tear them taking them out. All the bolts on the cold plate were pretty snug. But maybe seating helped.

I completely disassembled my EKWB GPU block to clean out remnants from some subpar coolant - the gaskets are pretty tough rubber and I had no issue removing them and placing them back. I would think the Optimus blocks would be similar.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 18:29:44 (permalink)
Nereus
fragility_V1

I completely disassembled my EKWB GPU block to clean out remnants from some subpar coolant - the gaskets are pretty tough rubber and I had no issue removing them and placing them back. I would think the Optimus blocks would be similar.

Looks like it was the cold plate.  After reseating the cold plate and reassembling the entire thing, it now holds pressure.  May be good for others getting the block to reseat everything when they receive it.  I'm a little suspect of what QA they put these through before sending out.  A missing screw and a leaky block indicate to me they're pushing them through pretty quick with minimal review.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2021/12/31 19:45:52 (permalink)
Fragility_V1,
I'm glad you found the issue and that you shared your findings with the group.  When you look at the block and how it's designed it's hard to assemble and test the block for pressure prior to shipping without have a pcb to connect and sandwich into the block.  Now that mines and yours had similar issues, it's something other users need to keep an eye for when they get their blocks.  While the screws on yours looked right, the seal was still something that was lacking at the cold plate.  They would need custom terminal blocks which would allow testing of each individual side of the block for pressure testing.  I'm pretty sure they are not doing that or else they would have caught the leaks in yours and mines.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 10:25:41 (permalink)
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-custom-models-to-be-insanely-power-hungry-evgas-kingpin-graphics-card-rumored-to-get-dual-12-pin-connectors/

https://videocardz.com/ne...2-pin-power-connectors

Groan. If this is true would be nice the PCB layout didn't change significantly, but doesn't look to be the case.
post edited by fragility_V1 - 2022/01/02 10:34:24
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 10:29:53 (permalink)
It would make sense that the PCB would be different if the power connectors were different.  The only question is, where are the differences?  They might be in the area only covered by acrylic on the Optimus block.  
fragility_V1
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 10:37:21 (permalink)
bavor
It would make sense that the PCB would be different if the power connectors were different.  The only question is, where are the differences?  They might be in the area only covered by acrylic on the Optimus block.  

I edited my post to include another link. Also looks like the memory is changing. So maybe nothing on the backside?
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 11:35:55 (permalink)
fragility_V1
https://wccftech.com/nvid...ual-12-pin-connectors/

Groan. If this is true would be nice the PCB layout didn't change significantly, but doesn't look to be the case.

link and link  - Whaaaaat???? 1250W EVGA KingPin 3090Ti???? I find that hard to believe, at least not without a restricted custom bios/firmware, and definitely only for LN2 setups. Can solder even survive that kind of power and resulting heat? Hell, with a heavily overclocked CPU, even a 1600W PSU may not be enough to run that in a system. Bring on the mysterious 2000T2 PSU!!! I'm guessing LN2 bench setups only with a separate PSU for the GPU. Oh, and and 2x12 pin power connectors, or maybe a new 16 pin connector? Hope they are supplied with the GPU, or good luck finding stock.

I can't see Optimus putting out a block for this before 2023 (if ever) based on their existing efforts.

On a positive note, maybe I'll get lucky and finally be able to buy a 30 series KingPin! lol.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 11:36:55 (permalink)
fragility_V1
bavor

I edited my post to include another link. Also looks like the memory is changing. So maybe nothing on the backside?

Yeah I read somewhere else that the memory won't be on the backside with these new models.

repo1979
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1116
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 11:53:41 (permalink)
I'm debating on getting one ordered or wait till amd drops next winter and see what happens with them or the 4000 series
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 12:16:55 (permalink)
I also recall seeing some content creators suggest that was going to be the move to get the VRMS off the backside of the gpu and move it to the front where the air radiators are for better VRM performance.  Moving the VRMs from the back I would think takes away most of the reason to have active back side cooling.  Most of the production costs associated with the Optimus block should have been covered by the cost of the block during the initial planning process when they designed the block and factored pricing.  The KP is a small market so to recover costs related to development I would think would require a key number of blocks sold to recoup development costs.  From what it sounds like in the article linked, there might be two models of the KP sold at the same time.  If so, it would provide Optimus a slowly growing market to continue to sell its block.  The current KP would benefit from the rear cooling, however those who are focused on overclocking might want that ability to pull more power and that small performance uplift provided by the rumored release.  

For the hardcore users, I would think they would want the option for additional power.  Not sure how much more power the current series of gpu cores can take without adding or changing the gpu die.  The amount of heat that will be generated by going to the change of power delivery if it was to actually draw that much power would I think require artificial cooling ie LN.  If you don't use LN, then I'm not sure how much real performance you'll get out of the refresh.  I would think it might be better to wait till the new 4090 comes out in a year or so unless cost was not an option.  

For casual overclockers and gamers who use the KP, the current KP is still more than enough for most people imo.  If you are 4k gaming, I'd wait it out till the next gen comes out before dropping another ton of cash.  Not sure where on the PCB Nvidia would move the VRMs to so until pictures come out for the pcb layout its hard to say how much that impacted the layout of the board and if by moving them does it create any other issues that can negatively affect performance.  In PCs, we often see that when manufacturer's try to resolve one issue, they create additional issues trying to fix something else.  Sometimes they are directly related, other times it may not but we wont know for sure how this pcb refresh is going to work until they release it and people put it through its paces in the real world.  Nvidia had time to test and create the current generation of gpus, so the VRMs on the backside and the heat issues related is something I would have thought they would have seen in their testing but they still released it anyway.  Not sure how much faith we should have that the new pcb design will work better than the current and if so by how much.  Even AIBs could have done what Optimus does with their passive rear plate and increased performance of the current gen gpus, but they all didn't for one reason or another.  That upgrade for AIBs wouldn't have costed too much more but would have impacted performance of standard AIB cards by reducing the temps of the VRMs and the associated heat soak of the pcb.  

For me, I'm going to use my long awaited KP with the Optimus block until the new 4090 comes out.  I am not a heavy overclock guy, so I think it will be fine for my use.  If you are or thinking of using LN, then it is really up to you as by the time you get a new KP, how long will it be before the 4090 comes out and would the small performance gains be worth it for the increased cost.  On this to each their own and their budgets.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
repo1979
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 12:33:18 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
I also recall seeing some content creators suggest that was going to be the move to get the VRMS off the backside of the gpu and move it to the front where the air radiators are for better VRM performance.  Moving the VRMs from the back I would think takes away most of the reason to have active back side cooling.  Most of the production costs associated with the Optimus block should have been covered by the cost of the block during the initial planning process when they designed the block and factored pricing.  The KP is a small market so to recover costs related to development I would think would require a key number of blocks sold to recoup development costs.  From what it sounds like in the article linked, there might be two models of the KP sold at the same time.  If so, it would provide Optimus a slowly growing market to continue to sell its block.  The current KP would benefit from the rear cooling, however those who are focused on overclocking might want that ability to pull more power and that small performance uplift provided by the rumored release.  

For the hardcore users, I would think they would want the option for additional power.  Not sure how much more power the current series of gpu cores can take without adding or changing the gpu die.  The amount of heat that will be generated by going to the change of power delivery if it was to actually draw that much power would I think require artificial cooling ie LN.  If you don't use LN, then I'm not sure how much real performance you'll get out of the refresh.  I would think it might be better to wait till the new 4090 comes out in a year or so unless cost was not an option.  

For casual overclockers and gamers who use the KP, the current KP is still more than enough for most people imo.  If you are 4k gaming, I'd wait it out till the next gen comes out before dropping another ton of cash.  Not sure where on the PCB Nvidia would move the VRMs to so until pictures come out for the pcb layout its hard to say how much that impacted the layout of the board and if by moving them does it create any other issues that can negatively affect performance.  In PCs, we often see that when manufacturer's try to resolve one issue, they create additional issues trying to fix something else.  Sometimes they are directly related, other times it may not but we wont know for sure how this pcb refresh is going to work until they release it and people put it through its paces in the real world.  Nvidia had time to test and create the current generation of gpus, so the VRMs on the backside and the heat issues related is something I would have thought they would have seen in their testing but they still released it anyway.  Not sure how much faith we should have that the new pcb design will work better than the current and if so by how much.  Even AIBs could have done what Optimus does with their passive rear plate and increased performance of the current gen gpus, but they all didn't for one reason or another.  That upgrade for AIBs wouldn't have costed too much more but would have impacted performance of standard AIB cards by reducing the temps of the VRMs and the associated heat soak of the pcb.  

For me, I'm going to use my long awaited KP with the Optimus block until the new 4090 comes out.  I am not a heavy overclock guy, so I think it will be fine for my use.  If you are or thinking of using LN, then it is really up to you as by the time you get a new KP, how long will it be before the 4090 comes out and would the small performance gains be worth it for the increased cost.  On this to each their own and their budgets.  

How do you like your kingpin block? Just looking for hands on users and see what they think
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 12:58:59 (permalink)
I haven't been able to use mines yet.  I got it back in July, but was waiting on getting my Optimus block in because I have a full custom loop in my system right now.  I also wasn't in a big rush because I have a 3090 FTW3 in there now.  I just received my block the week of Christmas and was able to mount the block to it, but I still need to custom bend a few pipes and double check the routing of the tubes since the flow out of the block is in a much different location than the one on the 3090.  

Not sure how many people who got the Optimus blocks in actually have installed it yet.  Optimus is a bit slow in getting the pre-orders out and I'm renovating my house so I don't have access to all my tools and things I need to work on my system.  I'm thinking around mid to late January before I am able to get it into my system.  

My 3090 is solid at 1440 gaming but I wanted the KP for the better pcb design over the 3090 I currently got.  If you haven't gotten a KP yet, then you might want to wait to see how much of a price difference there will be between the new TI model and the current version.  That and if you are planning a open loop system will there be any company to come in and design/release a block for a gpu with a limited release and with the short time left before the anticipated 4000 series launch.  EK didn't want to do a KP block only Optimus so if you are planning a purchase with an open loop in mind you might want to keep that under consideration too.  Someone would need to talk to Optimus to see if they are willing to design a new block and sell the block for the KP TI.  But keep in mind also that you might encounter what we have gone through with the current KP Optimus block.  Delays and missed shipments along with some communication issues.  The positive side is that usually their products are very good and the materials they use top notch.  I'm still holding out judgements on their new cerakote process, but the nickel plated block I got for my 3090 is very nice and holding up well after 6 plus months of having it in my system.  Even with the challenges with Optimus, I would still recommend their products to users but everyone who buys their stuff needs to keep in mind release dates are usually missed and their availability is not off the shelf.  When you see "in stock" it means that they have the materials to make your order but you still need to wait for manufacture standard time for them to make it for you.  Still, if you plan ahead then keep that in mind, but if you are looking for something to be delivered quickly then be prepared for delays or manufacture.  I still plan to use their products in builds that I do either for myself or others.  

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
repo1979
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 13:02:56 (permalink)
I currently have the Kingpin Hybrid but moving to a custom loop this year, but finding a block is tough. May need to trade it off for a FTW3 version or other 3090 card that has more block selection. 

zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 14:30:39 (permalink)
Sorry for those of you who will be looking to get the Ti KPE and bought the Optimus blocks. I was worried this would happen and I would regret spending over $1K on water blocks that won’t fit the Ti.
Maverickyao
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 14:38:48 (permalink)
This is a good warning to Optimus. They need to know that there will be consequence of breaking promise and missing dues.
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 16:25:04 (permalink)
To be honest, for most users the current KP will do fine.  For those who use LN or are pushing for overclocks then yes the newer TI version would provide a better performance based on the leaks so far.  But if you already have one, it all depends on how quickly you might be able to get the newer TI version and if any company will release a block for a short term gpu.  At this point in the lifespan of the 30 series, did Nvidia really need to move the VRAM to the front and incorporate a new power delivery system in the gpus?  Not sure how much more power the 3090 cores can use with it's current design, but I'm thinking it's not much more as scaling increases in performance is not linear with increases in power.  The amount of changes necessary to move the VRAM to the front would it have been better for Nvidia and the AIBs just to add passive rear heat sink plates to the rear of the existing gpus?  

Nvidia kinda messed this up for the AIBs and more so the water block manufacturers as if they move the VRAM for all of the 30 series cards then block manufacturers will all need to refresh or offer a new version of their blocks.  I think because of CAD design capabilities, the cost to develop new blocks are not as bad as before when they had to model and work with materials to develop new blocks.  If they used CAD, then they should be able to make changes to the blocks and then manufacture them accordingly.  For companies like Optimus, while this hurts I think because so much of their work is custom it's not as bad and it comes down to choice on whether to produce a block for a small market gpu like the KP.  EK already showed their hand and I would doubt they would do one for the KP TI version unless the PCB shares the same design elements as the refreshed 3090 non KP variant.  It's going to come down to PCB design and if they differ from the standard 3090 and the KP.  Even with the refresh, if you are looking for a KP to put into a custom loop then you might be out of luck unless you stick with the current KP, change to a standard 3090 which is supported by a block, or if a company like EK or Optimus release a block for the new 3090 TI variant.  With only about a year to year and a half of this current gen gpu lifecycle before being replaced by the 4000 series it could hamper development of blocks.  The only saving grace might be if EVGA designs the new TI KP pcb around a standard 3090 FTW3  TI pcb which would then allow both TI models to share the use of a single block design.  
post edited by Gotspeed_2000 - 2022/01/02 16:27:26

ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 17:26:18 (permalink)
Nereus
fragility_V1
https://wccftech.com/nvid...ual-12-pin-connectors/

link and link  - Whaaaaat???? 1250W EVGA KingPin 3090Ti???? I find that hard to believe, at least not without a restricted custom bios/firmware, and definitely only for LN2 setups. Can solder even survive that kind of power and resulting heat? Hell, with a heavily overclocked CPU, even a 1600W PSU may not be enough to run that in a system. Bring on the mysterious 2000T2 PSU!!! I'm guessing LN2 bench setups only with a separate PSU for the GPU. Oh, and and 2x12 pin power connectors, or maybe a new 16 pin connector? Hope they are supplied with the GPU, or good luck finding stock.

I can't see Optimus putting out a block for this before 2023 (if ever) based on their existing efforts.

On a positive note, maybe I'll get lucky and finally be able to buy a 30 series KingPin! lol.

On a 115V 15A circuit the max load is 1725W. That goes up to 2300W on a 20A circuit, but it is NOT standard for most "bead rooms" to have a 20A circuit. So 1600W is probably about as big as power supplies are going to get.
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/02 17:31:54 (permalink)
Maverickyao
This is a good warning to Optimus. They need to know that there will be consequence of breaking promise and missing dues.

The way the warning will be taken is that it's probably not worth while to make blocks for such a small production item.
ShawnB420
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 00:40:45 (permalink)
Maverickyao

What promises did they break and what consequences do you think they will face?
Do you say the same thing about Heatkiller who took over a year to release a FTW3 block with multiple delays?
Do you say the sane about Noctua and the black line of the A12’s taking how ever long that took?
A deadline is not a promise

Did you forget there’s a pandemic on and parts and shipping is scarce?

There is only ONE reason to hate on Optimus and it’s their lack of any CS of any kind. They deserve all the hate in the world for that.
zippytek
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 06:20:31 (permalink)
jaredbyoungOn a 115V 15A circuit the max load is 1725W. That goes up to 2300W on a 20A circuit, but it is NOT standard for most "bead rooms" to have a 20A circuit. So 1600W is probably about as big as power supplies are going to get.

what the power connectors can handle is NOT what the card is rated to draw. running SLI kingpins on the chiller in my office, i run a second 1600W PS from a circuit in a diff room via extension cord and power the main system from the outlet in the room. even w classified settings, the circuit handles the system + 800W chiller fine. if my electrician ever frees up his schedule, he's coming to drop 2 20A outlets in here tho...wife doesn't like extension cords coming out of the laundry room lol

zippytek
FTW Member
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 06:30:44 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000The only saving grace might be if EVGA designs the new TI KP pcb around a standard 3090 FTW3  TI pcb which would then allow both TI models to share the use of a single block design.  

i wouldn't hold your breath for this. more likely that optimus will offer a variant of their KPE block to support the Ti PCB
ShawnB420
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 07:04:41 (permalink)
zippytek
Gotspeed_2000The only saving grace might be if EVGA designs the new TI KP pcb around a standard 3090 FTW3  TI pcb which would then allow both TI models to share the use of a single block design.  

i wouldn't hold your breath for this. more likely that optimus will offer a variant of their KPE block to support the Ti PCB

That will release in 2025
Clovis559
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 563
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 09:36:58 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
Just finished up the block conversion.  The optimus instructions are okay, but be sure to read ahead and plan.  The alignment of the two plates and the top port can be tricky so read ahead and plan for pages 3/4 of their instructions.  I have to leak test this tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it should be fine.  The use of instructions from the EVGA hydrocopper block conversion is really good for taking apart the Hybrid.  Read that a few times and follow the disassembly instructions and you should be golden.  

My block is Silver Cerakote with Nickel cold plate.  The silver cerakote is nice, but there are imperfections that kinda look like over-spray in certain areas.  Nothing too noticeable, but not perfect either.  

The finished block is really heavy.  I would not feel comfortable mounting this horizontal without major support brackets to help spread the weight load.  If I was to mount this horizontal into the PCI slot, I would use the Lian Li GPU anti-sag bracket, and then also a gpu post support to help hold up the front.  This thing is that heavy.  Vertical mount should be fine as you are not loading weight onto the PCI slot.  I bought the Lian Li O11 XL vertical mount bracket with the PCI-E 4.0 riser cable.  I am already running a PCI-E 4.0 cable in my vertical mount, but this vertical mount kit will allow me to adjust the gpu position either further/closer to the mobo because the vertical mount has multiple locations to mount the PCI-E riser cable.  It will still be a while before I'm able to get this into my pc, but atleast the conversion is done.  

Merry Christmas to everyone.  Be safe cause Covid does suck.  My son has it so we are all stuck in not being able to go out.  Thankfully his symptoms so far seem to be mild overall.  He is vaccinated so I am assuming he has the Omicron.  Take care of yourself and your families.  

How are you liking the block!?
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 10:59:01 (permalink)
Nereus

Most people running one or more high wattage GPUs run two or more PSUs and not a single PSU.  So a 2000+ watt PSU isn't needed.  In the past, when I was going for my highest scores, I ran two and/or three PSUs on two different circuits in the house.  I used a 850 watt 80+ gold PSU for the motherboard, CPU, and cooling.  I used a 1500 watt BeQuiet and a 1600 watt EVGA PSU for the graphics cards.  Each card drew a peak of 700-800 watts and sustained 600-700 watts depending on the benchmark.  That was without going below zero.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 11:07:57 (permalink)
bavor
Nereus

Most people running one or more high wattage GPUs run two or more PSUs and not a single PSU.  So a 2000+ watt PSU isn't needed.  In the past, when I was going for my highest scores, I ran two and/or three PSUs on two different circuits in the house.  I used a 850 watt 80+ gold PSU for the motherboard, CPU, and cooling.  I used a 1500 watt BeQuiet and a 1600 watt EVGA PSU for the graphics cards.  Each card drew a peak of 700-800 watts and sustained 600-700 watts depending on the benchmark.  That was without going below zero.

Sorry, when I said in a system, I should have clarified I meant in a daily rig rather than an open bench with LN2 etc.. I've seen Vince and others with separate dedicated PSUs CPU, GPU etc. when overclocking. There is a 2000 T2 out there (or is it a P2?), I've seen photos of it running, but as several have said, unlikely to be marketed due to most households not having 20A breakers on all the outlets. Also, I've never tried LN2.. but when I saw 1250W for a single GPU that freaked me out a little. :D 

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: OPTIMUS SIGNATURE GPU BLOCK - KINGPIN 3090 2022/01/03 11:07:58 (permalink)

double post sorry

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 55
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile